[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What /his/torical book are you reading now? For me it's pic related.
>>
Union Pacific can eat a dick
>>
>>
>>6128890
Well they did eat a lot of Dixie pussy...
>>
File: The Sandino Affair.jpg (20 KB, 304x499)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I hope to start reading pic related soon.
>>
File: Boys looking for Sandino.jpg (400 KB, 2550x1581)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>6129586
It's an excellent book, short but great. I'd also recommend checking out "Sandino: The Testimony of a Nicaraguan Patriot, 1921-1934" by Robert E. Conrad
>>
File: Anne Frank Fanfiction.png (540 KB, 881x686)
540 KB
540 KB PNG
>>6129602
Nice. Will have to check that out as well.
>>
>>6129627
There's also an entire website dedicated to the topic, so if you want to find some cool pictures, memoirs of Nicaraguan National Guard men or just a bibliography this is the place to go
sandinorebellion.com
The website is a bit tricky to navigate so here's the section for photos and bibliography
http://www.sandinorebellion.com/HomePages/Photo-Docs.html
http://www.sandinorebellion.com/HomePages/biblio.html
>>
File: gunsofsugust.jpg (270 KB, 1250x2062)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
finally reading this, ive heard really good things about it
>>
I picked this up when I visited the Invalides last year. It focuses mainly on Northern and Central Italy, with a chapter on Catalonia and another on Illyria. It's interesting to see lesser known areas of the Napoleonic Empire explored in depth. It mostly focused on the social and legal problems that arose during French occupation. It was interesting seeing how much utter contempt many of the French politicians and administrators had for their non-French subjects. The author points out that in some cases it even exceeded how the British felt about the Indians during the Raj, and that the British were actually better at cooperating and assimilating with the Indians than the French were even with Italians or Spaniards, because they were so insistent on their own cultural superiority even among other Western Europeans. He also pointed out that the presence of conscription in every part of the Empire all but ensured that the French and Napoleon specifically would always be hated, no matter how progressive and valuable his many other legal reforms were.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations on historic audio books? any period really. I was thinking about ceasars war commentaries but maybe that's a better book to read myself than listen to. I'm new to the audio book thing, just got a free book download from a podcast so
>>
>>
File: download (1).jpg (13 KB, 183x275)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
just started this, what am i in for?
>>
>>6128852
I only read wiki, and watch YouTube for thorough knowledge i want
>>
>>6130311
It's a great investigation on his part, but I've always seen it as the undergrad version of his later book "Black Sun."
>>
File: 51vYwceTHtL.jpg (44 KB, 324x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
A good read for any negroes on /his/
>>
File: landmarkthu.jpg (44 KB, 324x406)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>
File: image.jpg (1.86 MB, 4032x3024)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
I’ve been on a Late Republic binge. After this is Sallust, Cicero, and Appian before I dig into the early Imperial age with Tacitus, Suetonius, Cassius Dio and Josephus
>>
File: 9781405934138.jpg (26 KB, 280x430)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I think this counts
>>
For class:
Killingray's "Fighting for Britain"
Robinson's "Muslim Societies in Africa"
Phillips's "Another Man's War"
Chasteen's "Born of Blood and Fire"
>>
Why are the Comanche so fucking based? So horrifying the Apaches needed the Spanish to help fight them.
>>
>>6131237
Are you going to try and make your way through the whole thing, or just the best bits?
>>
>>6128852
Pic related. Its essentially a history of British gunmaking in the 18th century, and argues that industrial revolution was stimulated by government demand for arms to fight Britains many, many wars. There's also a lot of social and cultural history about gun use in 18th century Europe. Its interesting, but can be very dry, and theres a weird anti-second admendment undercurrent that feels out of place.
>>
File: empire.jpg (299 KB, 1684x2560)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
>>6131425
Fuck me I'm dumb.
>>
>>6128852
Daily reminder that Alexander was painted too swarthy by Apelles.

>Apelles, however, in painting him as wielder of the thunder-bolt, did not reproduce his complexion, but made it too dark and swarthy. Whereas he was of a fair colour, as they say, and his fairness passed into ruddiness on his breast particularly, and in his face.

And yes, its exactly the one in OP.
>>
>>6131425
>and theres a weird anti-second admendment undercurrent that feels out of place
It's almost as if most historians are biased assholes that inject their own agendas into their works.....
>>
>>6128852
It's a bit normie-tier but I'm finally getting around to reading Adrian Goldsworthy's book on Caesar.
>>
cicero's works

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.