[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

> The commander of a group of U.S. Marines who were photographed in Afghanistan with what looks like a Nazi SS flag concluded they were acting out of ignorance rather than bigotry and decided not to punish them.

> “They didn’t realize that they were associating themselves with something that was racist, fascist". “This was a chance to educate our young Marines about” the history of the Nazis and “the power of symbols.”

Why do Americans know so little about world history?
>>
They knew exactly what they were doing.
>>
It's very unlikely that they all didn't know
>>
>>5952711
They all knew, that was just bs to get them out of trouble.
>>
>>5952711
Yes OP, I'm sure they just stumbled across an SS flag in Afghanistan and had no idea what it meant, so they decided to pose with it in a photograph.
>>
They were just big Kiss fans but the first 2 letters fell off
>>
>>5952728
They've investigated the matter and it's obviously not what they concluded. They were good boys that just didn't know any better.
>>
2edgy4me
>>
>>5952728
>>5952765
>>5952771
Wrong. It stands for Scout Snipers, it has nothing to do with what you think.
>>
>>5952711
I bet most people in the army love the Nazis. A few british soldiers got in trouble in Iraq for being photographed doing hitler salutes
>>
>>5952820
why does that skull have tiny baby feet in its ears, it's spooky
>>
File: ukraine.jpg (8 KB, 267x189)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>5952820
>there are people LARPing as Dirlegangers in actual warzones today
>>
Americans tend to be very lacking in history aside from WW2, Civil War, and Revolutionary war
>>
>>5952711
They knew OP. They just said "they didn't know. They dumb Marines" to appease the media. Guess what, it worked.
>>
>white equivalent of he dindu nuffin dey gud boiz go to church erry sunday
>>
>>5952855
>most people in the army love the Nazis
See. There is no such thing as bad publicity.
>>
>>5952873
they're busy going to holocaust class to learn about other stuff
>>
>>5952855
This, idk why people are surprised when soldiers turn out to be extremely right wing.
>>
>>5952711
LOL the obviously did know, they used these symbols in Vietnam as well. Its more of a PR issue, since it caused a meltdown among boomers and "progressive" leftytards.
>>
>>5952894
Nazi Germany is basically the only modern nation to paint itself as a warrior people. Its not surprising young men and soldiers would have a fascination with it
>>
>>5952873
American public school history is basically

>Revolution
>Washington, Adams, Jefferson
>War of 1812
>Jackson
>Civil War
>Teddy Roosevelt
>Great Depression
>WWII (Pacific and Western Front)
>Civil Rights Act/Space Race/JFK
>>
File: angery puppy.jpg (31 KB, 960x957)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>5952711

We had a small clique of about six of these assholes in my unit when I was in.

Shit like wearing KKK t-shirts during laundry night, flying SS or Confederate flags from their windows (although being from Florida, I also had one so I won't fault them for the latter), and blasting that fucking white power music from their rooms at 1 in the morning. Officers basically looked the other way.

God, they were annoying.
>>
>>5952924
That's not too bad
>>
File: af2.png (29 KB, 741x568)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>5952931
I thought that half of the US army was black
>>
File: alabamo.jpg (81 KB, 600x400)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>5952924
Pls, remember.
>>
>Wow, Buddhists use swastikas? Why don't they know anything about history?
Quit projecting.
>>
>>5952942
The US military is about 60% non-hispanic white. Hispanics outnumber blacks (in the military and in the general US population).

https://www.cfr.org/article/demographics-us-military
>>
>>5952958
Went to school in FL, we don't really care about Texas history.
>>
File: Climb to Glory.jpg (40 KB, 640x430)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>5952942
>I thought that half of the US army was black

POG units yeah, but I was in an "elite" light infantry unit (civilians think we're elite, but SOCOM thinks we're a bunch of dirty plebs) so we tend to be mostly White.

This was also back in the early 90s so things were different back then.
>>
>>5952820
Azov battalion is full of nazis though
>>
>>5952958
What is this again?
>>
>>5953014
The reason your state isn't Mexico
>>
>>5952972
>40% of men in the military are non-white
>53% of women in the military are non-white
That's odd. Good numbers if you're a minority dude in the army though.
>>
>>5953023
My dtate is Indian territory though
>>
Most professional soldiers are dumb as bricks and will worship whatever rah rah warrior culture they most connect to. My instructor NCOs all wore Thor hammers, punisher badges and idolized the Yugoslav People's Army as ''the good old days when men were men and fags were in the closet).
I don't believe there's anything seriously ideological stuff like that, it's just stuff people stupid enough to end up in the infantry do.
>>
>>5953041
lol oklahomos
>>
>>5953054
At the same time if there is any part of society that would be fascist it would be the military.
>>
>>5953056
Indiana
>>
>>5953065
I think that's more to be found amongst the officers and other personel that actually have some schooling done. The average grunt will have no understanding beyond lefty = homogay = bad
>>
>They didn’t realize that they were associating themselves with something that was racist, fascist

Doubt.
>>
He a good babykiller, dindu nuffin.
>>
>>5952711
I wonder what WW2 vets would think about this? Kind of disrespectful to them more than racist/bigoted, I mean some of them are still alive and they out here tryna glorify their enemies?
Which does lead me to believe it was done out of ignorance, it must be the retard unit.
>>
>>5952711
How could such intelligent, capable men lose a war to starving sandniggers with small arms? Really activates my almonds.
>>
File: 980x.jpg (111 KB, 840x688)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>5953183
These guys just tried to emulate the vets!
>>
File: 1493267666169.jpg (58 KB, 720x960)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>5953183
All of America's enemies are dead, and those that aren't are soon her allies. That kind of absolute, total conquest would have made Caesar or Napoleon's dick explode from the sheer force of the erection.
>>
>>5953183
Would they really care? America has used defeated enemies for symbols/names in the past. Just look at Apache helicopters.
>>
>>5953226
I bet Caesar especially would love the sheer amount of roman dicksucking that went into our founding and early history.
>>
>>5953233
True, but don't forget that was pretty much a one sided battle and it's part of american heritage. And I said to the living vets.
>>
>>5953233

The difference is that no one from any of those conflicts is still alive. Also it’s a byproduct of the romanticisation of Native Americans that took place in the 20th Century.

No one outside of extreme racists and people with authoritarian inclinations romanticizes the Nazis.
>>
>>5952924
I was in HS in the 70s, and that was the plan. Is everything more recent still being ignored? Are we ever going to be able to talk about Vietnam, to say nothing of the Middle East?
>>
>>5952711
Doesn’t this break the 25 year rule or is /int/ shitposting?
>>
>>5953054
>My instructor NCOs all wore Thor hammers, punisher badges and idolized the Yugoslav People's Army as ''the good old days when men were men and fags were in the closet).
He was not wrong.
>>
>>5953348
I'm just pointing out it's an eclectic mix of influences that are absolutely not compatible beyond the surface (or alternatively some esoteric synthesis but that's beyond the scope of most people).
>>
File: racism-768x415.jpg (49 KB, 768x415)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>5953423
>eclectic mix of influences that are absolutely not compatible beyond the surface
Says you, fag.
>>
>>5953308
>Are we ever going to be able to talk about Vietnam, to say nothing of the Middle East?
Not really. Vietnam is mentioned but briefly. Basically everything stops in 1969, it's like history ended when we landed on the moon.
>>
>>5953681

God it should have.
>>
>>5952711
>>
>>5954759
OLY SHIT BASED LIGHTNING FLAG, HELL YE MUTHAFUCKA WE STRIKE LIKE THUNDA BOOOOOOOOOOOM
>>
File: 1534340920089.jpg (366 KB, 1000x656)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>5952711
Unironically supremely based.
>>
>>5952711
Did they bring it with or did they find it in the field?

If I found something like that in the field I'd definitely want a picture with it.
>>
>>5952711
It’s pretty clear you’re the idiot. It’s obvious that marines are the edgiest faggots in the armed services and having scout snipers “SS” make the Nazi SS flag their symbol was just gallows humor. When normies found out, instead of needlessly punishing them, they just lied and said the marines didn’t know any better.

This is all painfully obvious to anyone with a brain
>>
>>5952711
Also, it’s an older meme
>>
>>5954759
See. That says Sniper Scouts. It's a USMC flag.
>>
File: 8nRqoXW.jpg.png (48 KB, 800x729)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>5952728
>>5952765
These are marines youre talking about
are you sure?
>>
>>5953681
>>5953308
I think its an issue of time. By the time you get to Vietnam there are only so may days left in the semester and most teachers just want to review for the test. If focus more on current stuff, something else has to be cut.
>>
>>5953314

Not really, it's about the teaching of history (or lack of).
>>
>>5954809
>just gallows humor

When I was in, at least four of the guys with the SS flag and the KKK t-shirts seemed pretty serious about it. Pretty sure they were also the reason copies of the Turner Diaries and Mein Kampf were floating around the barracks (most of us hated that shit, but we wound up reading it out of boredom anyway).
>>
>>5952840
>>5954888
Plausible deniability rules.
>>
File: 9859894-3x2-700x467.jpg (32 KB, 700x467)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>5952711
Meanwhile in the Australian army
>>
>>5956326
based aussie banter
>>
>>5956326
How do you bring a nazi flag to the middle east? Can you bring individual baggage that's not being checked? Do they mail it to their base? And if so how is mail in a war zone not checked?
>>
>>5956357
A madman smuggled it there.
I'm no soldier but I assume they'd be allowed to bring some stuff from home for when they're off duty and I can't see any reason why their personal belongings would be checked very closely.
>>
>>5956357
You just buy it there. Usually there are militaria shops in the larger basars and they sell all kinds of counterfeit stuff there.
>>
>>5954908
Even your most dim-witted apeman recognises the power of symbols and what certain symbols represent. It's impossible that literally all of these men were unaware of the violent associations of the SS flag.
>>
>one group of western soldiers paying homage to another, specifically the SS which held back the same Asian hordes that are funding ISIS today (Russia)

Whats the problem Extactly? Have we really gotten so PC we forgot the West's true enemy
>>
>>5952931
>has a confederate flag because of "muh florida heritage"
>still thinks he can look down no others
>>
>>5956986
>Have we really gotten so PC we forgot the West's true enemy

Clearly these soldiers have, since they don't realise the Nazis were our enemies.
>>
>>5956326
Cheeky cunts
>>
>>5957017
Australia will never be fascist.
>>
>>5956996
Only because Roosevelt refused to see his Marxist breathen wiped out. The Germans had no quarrel with America, yet they couldnt stand by and let them handhold the Boslevieks
>>
>>5952861
BASED
>>
>>5954908
Lol. I'm sure at least one guy recognized the flag though.
>>
>>
>itt: Seething leftoids at right wing military groups
>>
>>5953247
Rome was all about Troy dicksucking.
>>
Maybe the saw the flag somewhere and decided to take a picture to symbolize the nazis defeat. I doubt not one person knew what that flag meant
>>
>>5956986
Russia kind of on and offs on that subject, sometimes they wanna be close to the west, then when things don't work out the get mad and the eurasianists come out of the closet. It's like that Katy Perry song.
>>
>>5952711
>SS-runin
90% of milfags know exactly what that is, lets not pretend history requires a high iq to grok
>>
>>5957036
Hitler declared war on the US, and the US were only helping because they wanted to help the Brits, who wanted to help the Poles because Germany was succumbing to their usual clay grabbing autism, which lead the to be completely fine with selling out half of Europe to commies.
>>
>>5953005
Mountain isn't elite you faggot.
>>
>>5954763
lol
>>
>>5957407
Sick reading comprehension homeslice.
>>
>>5957027
aussies are physiologically incapable of apollonian civilization
>>
>>5956382
>>5956578
retards. they captured a standard in ww2 and now the unit keeps a nazi flag as tradition
>>
>>5952924
>3rd grade was world history
>to understand Indian and Chinese civilization/culture I went to a Hindu temple and China town in new york
>>
>>5952886
Literally this. All aspects of the war other than major parties involved, lend-lease, and the general concept of rationing are ignored in order to leave days/weeks for the 60 gohrillion. And at the same time english classes read fictional accounts of the 60 quadrillion thanks to (((weasel))) being required reading in many districts.
>>
>>5953226
>All of America's enemies are dead
vietnam still exists.
>>
>>5952820
the totenkopf predates the nazis, you dumbshit.
>>
>>5953023
Mexico won at the Alamo. American student spotted.
>>
>>5959370
we colonized them with mcdonalds
>>
>>5952711
They obviously knew exactly what they were doing. The Scout Snipers got an SS flag as a joke, then claimed they had no idea when they started getting shit for it. /thread
>>
>>5952855
>>5952894
>>5952912
They arent actual nazis you psych major mongs. Military fucks just aren't as sensitive to offensive humor as you people. They have a fucking SS flag, its whacky and its funny. End of story
>>
>>5952924
Pretty great education. Learning about the history of other countries is for historians and if you do it for non-historian purposes you're a cuckold.
>>
File: 1547179477831.jpg (266 KB, 750x644)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>
>>5953308
In APUSH we spent a pretty good amount of time on Vietnam.
>>
>>5956986
>Russia funding ISIS
The fact that an American probably typed this makes it funnier.
>>
>>5959397
That's clearly nazi division patch, you dumbshit.
>>
>>5952873
The SS was ww2 my dude
>>
>>5952855
It doesn't have shit to do with loving the Nazis. These are the grandsons of people who fought the Nazis. This is a detachment of Scout - Snipers (google it) who are indulging in some dark humor in a war zone. They are fighting today's enemies while you virtue signal by condemning the last century's enemy.
>>
>>5952924
>war of 1812
I don't know if you know what you're talking about. I never knew anything about it until a year ago. They don't teach it here because it wasn't much of a victory.
>>
>>5956986
Oh boy have you git it backwards!
It was our government that was funding the so-called "moderate" head hoppers, and as some say, ISIS as well. It's the Russians who've actually have been fighting them on the ground and for real.
>>
>>5952820
>liberals will still defend Euromaidan though
>>
>>5961251
Well Mr. conservative, how about you tell your most precious semitic ally to stop funding Azov?
>>
>>5961276
Azov is US alligned why shouldn't NATO back them
>>
>>5952711
>The commander of a group of U.S. Marines who were photographed in Afghanistan with what looks like a Nazi SS flag concluded they were acting out of ignorance rather than bigotry and decided not to punish them.
...and? Even if they were acting out of bigotry, they still shouldn't be punished.

>They didn’t realize that they were associating themselves with something that was racist, fascist.
Literally nothing wrong with this.

>This was a chance to educate our young Marines about” the history of the Nazis and “the power of symbols.”
Nice way of saying indoctrination.
>>
>>5961309
>Armies don't indoctrinate their troops
>>
>>5953274
>No one outside of extreme racists and people with authoritarian inclinations romanticizes the Nazis.
>Everyone right of Bernie Sanders is an extremist.
>>
>>5961327
>everyone to the right of bernie sanders romanticizes the nazis
this is how you sound.
>>
>>5952711
iirc there was instances of Australians using old Nazi paraphernalia in Afghanistan also, don't know if people using it are stormfags or just really edgy.
>>
>>5960320
Britain? You mean to tell me there were British SS regiments?
>>
>>5961355
There was one and it was very small.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Free_Corps
>>
>>5952905
I don’t think progressives are the only people that don’t like nazis
>>
>>5959969
I'm amazed these anons don't know what a young guy fucking around with his buddies looks like. I have buddies both in the military and not that joked around with Nazi shit as a joke.

I can easily guess the demographics of this board by sheer retardation.
>>
>>5952855
>>5952894
>>5952912
>>
>>5952711
Armed forces have people that are basically /pol/ galore. I assume It is usually ignored due to conservative leaning nature of the forces in general and regular dehumanization of the enemy. No one will bat an eye when you say you hate hajis/sandniggers.

This extreme right wing infestation, currently tolerated will bite them in the ass in the future. For example for few decades there were reports of white nationalist infestation of the police force. But only recently, when the problem became too out of control, it began to get attention from authorities.

Then again for every /pol/tard in millitary, you have 3 greencarding mutts.
>>
>>5959434
And they colonized us with shitty hipster Pho bistros, so who really won in the end?
>>
>>5961401
I don't doubt that some of these guys are just fucking around, but truthfully there's a fine line between fucking around and actually starting to believe your jokes.

Let's be honest, every SS trooper who committed atrocities against Jews and Slavs probably started out life making "Jews are greedy" jokes, and all that was needed for these relatively-innocuous jokes to turn into murderous tendencies was a shift in the atmosphere they were from.

It's why I never make racist jokes even to close friends who know I'm a boring humanitarian, because even though I wouldn't really mean it when I say "Asians are bad drivers" or "Indians smell like curry", it creates the idea of these other ethnicities being "flawed" which can later manifest in discrimination and violence.
>>
>>5961409
I've never served but I had a relative in the US Military, who was Chinese, who bragged about blowing up an Insurgent with a grenade, you seriously think literally anyone has an issue with killing the enemy and bragging about it you dipshit
>>
>>5961412
>calling people gook and jap is literally creating a genocide
Niggers and shitlibs unironically believe this
>>
>>5961424
Doing your job is one thing, extreme demonization is another. You need certain amounts of brainwashing in order to convince people to risk their lives for Cheney&Halliburton but too much dehumanization can and did become detrimental. No one wants the attention of press and accusations of war crime.
>>
>>5961435
>Demonizing the people who are at war with your nation is bad
Brainlets unironically believe this. Is pic related ebul?
>>
>>5961429
Would you be opposed to a black genocide?
>>
>>5961327
If you romanticize nazis then you are an extremist
>>
>>5961435
>Cheney&Halliburton
You saw Vice, didn't you?
>>
>>5961424
>bragged about blowing up an Insurgent with a grenade
He was probably lying
>>
>>5961444
It’s certainly not something a normal person would do and is against military law (not allowed to pose with human remains)
>>
>>5961444
It's is bad, press attention is never good, moreover too much demonization might hurt you in the long run.
The historical example would be the korean war and rethreatment of the japs. American government tried really hard to basically rebrainwash people into believing japs were not the devil and it was chinese who were the baddies.

A more recent example is the police force, most white supremacy in police force was relatively tolerated up until now when they began to spiral out of control. Again I don't think this would be a problem in Millitary as there are too many mutts in it to become an actual threat.

Though I agree with you partially that it is a necessary evil, again you can't convince people to risk their lives for shitty VA and mediocre pay that easly. I assume chinks will be the big baddies in the future, they will replace ragheads just as ragheads replaced russians.
>>5961453
Nope, I hold that the entire war is a way of enriching cheney since 2004, but thats just me. I'm also old/boomer enough to remember.
>>
File: 1522711431163.png (84 KB, 800x800)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>5961463
>the police are white supremacists
>>
>>5961469
Most police in America are small town boomer cops that grew up in a conservative environment during the 70’s. It’s not a stretch that a lot of them are racist.
>>
>>5961469
He didn't say all police were white supremacists, he said the white supremacist element within police departments was tolerated because it didn't really interfere with the actual day-to-day running of the job. Huge difference.
>>
>>5952728
Ok Marco Rubio
>>
>>5961479
What does this even mean
>>
>>5961444
What is that thing
>>
>>5961482
A dead insurgent I'd presume
>>
>>5961481
he's suggesting you're a pearl clutching mainstream cuck who cares more about expressing acceptance and towing the ZOG line of acceptable symbolism and absent white identity than understanding the socio-emotional nuance and likely frivolity of their display of the SS-runin. he's lying though because they 100% knew what that symbol was as most milfags know what those symbols and many more are, even more frequently than civies. Still you are probably a cuck faggot.
>>
>>5961491
>ZOG
Stopped reading
>>
>>5961498
I was empathizing with your interlocutor not asserting the existence of anything, retard.
>>
>>5952711
>implying
The commander must've been in on it too.
>>
>>5952711
Based marines
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (46 KB, 480x360)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>5952711
>>5952820
>>5952861
>>5952882
>>5953134
>>5953183
>>5956227
>>5961409
>>5961463
>>5961474
>>5961478
>>5961498
Why does leftypol hate the white race?
>>
File: dcn45ac3xzwy.jpg (125 KB, 1374x1031)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>5961545
Why does rightypol love it?
>>
>>5961545
>Ukies
>White
Is the bar for white so low in America that hun rape babies count?
>>
>>5956986
America and Israel funded isis.
>>
>>5961579
>Islanders fan
Now there's something you don't see every day
>>
Either these American marines are literally retarded and the country retarded enough to sent them over there should be punished or they knew exactly what they were doing and should be dishonorably discharge and hopefully chemically castrated.

Pick one
>>
>>5961712
Calm down man it's just a flag. They're not rounding up the jews and shooting them.
>>
>>5961718
I know, I’m just bringing this thread to it’s logical conclusion.
>>
>>5961712
>you should be discharged and castrated for not being a brainwashed anti white cuck
>>
>>5961579
Not a single person there looks normal. How can you expect your ideology to take off if it only attracts spergs and autists.
>>
>>5961890
>not being a brainwashed
Are you implying nazis and pol aren’t brainwashed?
>>
>>5957278
>tfw read it as SMASH ISIS: VOTE CORBYN

Although the guy on the far left looks like a fucking jihadi more than anything kek
>>
>>5961913
You want white genocide, you're clearly worse off than they are, leftypol shill
>>
>>5961933
>whitegenocide_outtanowhere.jpeg
you’re either legitimately brainwashed or pretending to be retarded
>>
>>5961941
>you are brainwashed if you go against my anti white brainwashing
Why do you leftypol subhumans hate the white race
>>
File: trans_raid_party.jpg (1.47 MB, 4460x2908)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>5961908
>says the leftypol shill
>>
>>5961946
Did I hit a nerve because you look like one of the autists in that pic?
>>
File: c9714c_6250411.jpg (186 KB, 1024x768)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>5961978
>leftypol mutt calling others subhuman
>>
>>5952711
Test
>>
>>5961993
I never called anyone subhuman, now you’re just projecting your own insecurities. Please seek help.
>>
>>5959397
>swastika predates nazism
>waaah waaah why am I being called a nazi for waving a swastika around waahhh
>>
>>5961993
man even the poor dog is obese
>>
>>5959397
but that insignia doesnt...
>>
>>5957027
Shove off ya melbourne drongo

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.