[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1508201054139.jpg (91 KB, 840x560)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
How come Catholic countries never produced many Enlightenment-era thinkers and philosophers? I notice they are all predominantly from Northwestern Europe.
>>
>>5773479
>France was protestant
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>5773482
>France
>From the Western Schism to the Thirty Years war has served as a direct antagonist to the Catholic Church

Yeah I guess they're "catholic"
>>
File: Alessandro_Volta.jpg (32 KB, 390x480)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>5773479

Bruh
>>
>>5773506

Bruh
>>
>>5773479
(((the enlightment))) fuck off jew
>>
The likely answer is that Protestantism encouraged mass literacy and introspection
>>
>>5773479
Unlike the Northern Protestants in their frozen shithole countries, the southern Catholics were satisfied with their lives and had no desire or need to change.
>>
File: Cesare_Beccaria.jpg (422 KB, 600x800)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>5773506

BRUH
>>
>>5773533
Took you a little while to find a third one.
>>
>>5773517
This is your brain on insecurity
>>
>Enlightenment is literally a French thing
>hurp durp durr hurr
>>
>>5773488
>>5773591
>>
>>5773595
France is the most Catholic country that there is, it basically created Catholicism for fuck's sake.
>>
>>5773602
>Quietism
>Avignon Papacy
>Thirty Years War
>French Revolution

yeah real loyal to the papacy
>>
>>5773602
>>5773595
It also fought a bloody civil war just before Enlightenment to eradicate every trace of Protestantism within its borders.
>>
>>5773616
>loyal to the papacy

Bitch the papacy best be loyal to France, France is the only reason it exists. Avignon papacy was France moving the papacy into France where it belongs, how the fuck is that anti-Catholic?

>Baptism of Clovis
>Establishment of the Papal States
>Conquest and conversion of the Saxons
>Cluny
>Crusades
>Avignon Papacy
>Joan of Arc
>Religious Wars
>>
File: 1508978436577.png (242 KB, 790x837)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>5773629
>"How the fuck is a political conflict with the Catholic church evidence that France was not at odds with the Roman Papacy?"
>Mentioning irrelevant shit that happened hundreds of years before any of my aforementioned points
>Ignoring Louis XIV cucking the Catholic church
>>
>>5773650
literally what

>>"How the fuck is a political conflict with the Catholic church evidence that France was not at odds with the Roman Papacy?"
How the fuck is the papacy moving into France a "conflict with the Catholic Church"? France WAS the Catholic Church.

>>Mentioning irrelevant shit that happened hundreds of years before any of my aforementioned points
Religious Wars ended exactly when the Enlightenment started.

>>Ignoring Louis XIV cucking the Catholic church
Louis XIV revoked the edict of Nantes and removed all Protestant scum from premises.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.