[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 5 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

my gf wants to become a graphic designer. Where should she start looking to learn it?

-best tool ? Photoshop? Any other? do drawing skill help? how fast can she learn that?
-buy a pen tablets, yes or no? if yes, which one? do you even need that for graphic designing?

is 3-5 months a realistic timeline to learn the basics?

Is it hard to get a first client? I could do some networking as i do online marketing..
>>
Yeah photoshop won't be enough. She should just learn the whole adobe suite and learn how the apps interact with eachother.

Illustrator will be her best friend.

3-5 months is more than enough to learn the basics and get a feeling for the apps.
>>
>>373340
>Where should she start looking to learn it?
video courses at lynda.com, skillshare, udemy, and/or youtube,
>-best tool ?
Adobe creative cloud (illustrator, photoshop, indesign) it usually takes from a week to a month to get comfortable if you don't have any experience
>buy a pen tablets, yes or no? if yes, which one? do you even need that for graphic designing?
yes. any wacom cintiq that if you can afford it otherwise look into huion's
>is 3-5 months a realistic timeline to learn the basics?
only if she study/practice 3-5 hr a day and begin to work on her portfolio early on (it will help if she does something she feel passionate about)
>Is it hard to get a first client? I could do some networking as i do online marketing..
it depends where you live and

these 2 videos are great for beginners
https://vimeo.com/15175486
https://vimeo.com/16833435
>>
>>373340
> Where should she start looking to learn it?
In a school. Graphic design covers too much ground to self teach effectively. Best case - school.
>-best tool ?
What kind of work? GD covers a lot of ground. A book designer will need InDesign, probably Acrobat, possibly Framemaker for large format books, like catalogs. Web? Dreamweaver, HTML, CSS, and scripting. Marketing and presentation work? Then she needs to master the Office suite, and the Apple office tools like Numbers and Pages, on top of the rest. There isn't a single app for design, there are many.
> how fast can she learn that?
Most designers who go to a 4 year school will get 2 years of intense study on the basics, and will graduate ready to take entry level jobs. Learning alone? A lot longer.
>is 3-5 months a realistic timeline to learn the basics?
No, not in any way. There's simply too much to learn. A year, for the basics of layout, typography, and printing basics. Image editing alone can take 2 years or more to get to a beginner level in the job field. MAYBE if she was working alongside a working, experienced designer, learning on the job - if she has any affinity or talent at it.
>Is it hard to get a first client?
Freelancing as a graphic designer, in a field that's oversaturated with trained pros looking for work, going from zero? Good luck. Graphic design is a field that's not only extremely competitive, it's also where you need experience, and knowledge, and it's going to take years to get to a level where anyone can handle clients at the level of making any serious money. It takes commitment, and a lot of work. It's worth it, if you love it. She should go take an entry level course at a community college, or try a couple of months on Lynda.com on the core Creative Suite apps and see if she actually wants to start investing serious time and training and equipment.
>>
>>373340
Why is everyone ignoring this?
>drawing skill help? how fast can she learn that?
You can't "learn" to be a good artist, you either are or you aren't. Similarly to how I'll never be good at singing, my voice just isn't cut out for it.

Some people have the imagination, but not the ability. Most people don't have either. Your gf can't "learn" artistic ability, only try to perfect already existing skills.

If she wants to do logo design, she can just take icons other artists have made. But I doubt she'll make it far without original content.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.