[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Are skill bars recommended in CVs? They are practically in any GD cv I've seen online
>>
>Sorry, Anon, while your motion graphics portfolio 1999-2018 is highly impressive, Rajeesh has shown 5.5% higher rating for Adobe Flash CS4 in his CV and it's also in neon gradient
>>
>>370224
DO
functioning grid system
name/contact info, education, skills, experience
black ink
white/off-white paper
1-2 pages max

DONT
photos
charts/graphs of any kind
illustrations
any ornamentation
gradients and halftones
colored ink
colored paper
>>
>>370224
Answer this question, what's 100% of photoshop, then 80, then 70, 50, 30, 10.
If you do answer, based on what ? and are you sure the company will think that your "70" is their ?

It's bad.

So ditch bars and keep >>370234 in mind
>>
>>370234
this
>>
no because theyre ambiguous
>>
>>370224
Completely pointless. I know Photoshop really well, and passed the Adobe Certified Expert exam (haven't bothered to re-qualify, because fuck that, I did it to prove to myself I could), so when I apply for a job, I'm saying "I can do the work you need done", and show that in the interview. I don't list apps I don't know enough about, to get work done in.
Besides, if the job requires basic photo-editing, you don't need more than 10% of the tooset, anyway. You're just trying to bamboozle the interviewer with "skill bars". You either know the app well enough to get the job done, or you don't. If the job requires working in CMYK and your "60%" bar doesn't include that, then you're not the right candidate for the job.
My portfolio shows what I can do, and do really well.
>>
>>370234
Why not colored paper?
>>
>>370262
Why print it? I haven't needed a physical resume in years - PDF and text is the standard now. Most people don't even have business cards anymore, which is why low end printers and places like Kinkos and Copymat are going out of business.
But the standard rule is, and has been for at least 15 years - simple, easy to read, no photos, graphics, or any of that shit, unless you're an actor, and a text version, for the HR database. Everything is digital now. Who and where are you applying, that you need a physical resume?
>>
>>370224
don't work anywhere that asks for a CV it's outdated and supports HR which are filled with feminist harpies who have no business judging who is capable or not.

a portfolio should be enough and only talk to the decision makers
>>
>>370269
Nah. Resumes and applications are for record keeping, most places worth working for will want one. But PDF and text is all you need.
>>
>>370274
Whats the diferrence between PDF and Text versions?
>>
>>370264
I’m of the opinion that it is better to have one and not need one, than to need one and not have one.

Spending money on watermarked resume paper, though, is fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1540528409994.png (2.18 MB, 1920x1080)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>370224

Software proficiency: A
Speed: C
Creativity: C
Trend: A
Color Theory: D
>>
>>370262
I want to read a resume from an adult, not some grade school art project
>>
I've been told by HR friends that is better to not grade your skills, because "expert" for you can mean something completely different to "expert" for them. Just write the skill and let them ask the questions.
>>
Charts are only going to create barriers for yourself. Sure, it looks graphically appealing, but there is no way to “measure” ones skill with numbers or a chart. What if a 3/4 full bar means you suck to some employer and they don’t even interview you because of it? Don’t set that barrier for yourself.

List all of the programs you have a skill for. If/When your level of proficiency comes up in interview, then you can state it however you’d like.

As for printing a resume, it’s not very necessary. With all of my design interviews, portfolio mattered most. Not the typed version of my experience.
>>
Get adobe certified and put that on.
>>
>>370224

Oldfag CD here who interviews you whelps all the time.

I view skill bars, and indeed any rating style system, in the same way I'd view you submittig a picture of yourself with your CV. It's something to look at. But it's completely and utterly irrelevant.

You rate yourself at a A+ in Illustrator? Too bad, we're only accepting A+++ candidates today. You're a B in Photoshop? Sorry, strictly 7/10s only.

They just show me what you think of yourself. That means nothing when I'm hiring you to do work. I'd rather know something interesting about you, like your favourite book or movie. That's something I can quantify.
>>
>>370262
don't you mean african-american paper?
>>
>>370264
>Most people don't even have business cards anymore

Are you fucking high? Business cards are still everywhere, I make a fortune from them because they're still a status symbol. Are you one of these tech-obsessed children who think everything is done by touching phones?
>>
>>370767
This.

Prepress here, our shop does about 30% business cards.
BCs are also good as a physical reminder- it’s really easy to “forget” someone’s digital contact info if you only do it through your phone.
>>
>>370767
This.

Prepress here, our shop does about 30% business cards.
BCs are also good as a physical reminder- it’s really easy to “forget” someone’s digital contact info if you only do it through your phone, and silly to assume others might have a phone on hand, at that very moment.
>>
>>370766
It's Paper of Color, you racist.
>>
>>370765
>I'd rather know something interesting about you, like your favourite book or movie. That's something I can quantify.
A professor I had scoffed at this, can you offer a counterpoint on why you don't mind seeing them?
>>
>>370776
"offer a counterpoint" you just need to think for half a second to understand that talking about stuff you are into can be relevant about yourself your mindset and the affinity you can have with this or that, or even with the team.
>>
>>370224
Never do them. They're some sort of shitty meme that gives no information at all. "I am 5 stars in Photoshop", "Level 4 in Illustrator". What the fuck does that even mean? The only information someone can glean from that is that you know Photoshop and Illustrator exist
>>
>already 7 months with no job
just end my suffering bros
>>
>>370776

Because it's an interest to you. And when you talk about things that interest you, you light up. You give me clues as to what kind of person you are, what you like, how you think.

Here's the ultimate secret about CVs, interviews, employment, everything. If you have an interview, you can do the job. Your CV and possibly portfolio have show you can do the job, use them to do that, because that's all they are. Qualifiers. Interviews aren't tests to see if you can do the job, they're tests to see if the employer wants to spend 8hrs a day with you. Be interesting, be fun, be something other than an Adobe dick rider who just talks about design like it's anything but commercial art.

I can't stress enough how important it is to be interesting. Because if you're interesting, the work you do for me will be, and I'll enjoy being around you when you do it.
>>
>>370859
>I can't stress enough how important it is to be interesting. Because if you're interesting, the work you do for me will be, and I'll enjoy being around you when you do it.
That's probably why I just got a 50K CAD web dev job in Atlantic Canada. I probably seemed interesting enough to them that they decided to offer me the job. (Education including dev + graphic design, and maybe my interests as well)
>>
>>370575
shit never gets read by human until after you hit the keyword limit..
advice would be best to work on your writing then think about how to present it so it's scannable
>>
>>370234
>illustrations
>any ornamentation
>gradients and halftones
>colored ink
>colored paper
Do you hate fun that much?
>>
>>370980
Look where you are posting.

The answer is of course.
>>
>>370269
>HR which are filled with feminist harpies who have no business judging who is capable or not.
I think your hatred of women is going to cloud your judgment of who's capable of doing a job. I hope you're able to grow up soon.
>>
>>370861
When I was working in a normal city in the US at a normal restaurant one of the normal waitresses made 33,000 USD. I'm sure your resume and everything just have been VERY INTERESTING to earn as much a a high-school-educated single mom waitress.
>>
>>370512
text should be plain text, no formatting so that it can easily be copy pasted
>>
>>370767

Define “fortune”?
>>
>>370234

I agree with everything expect the colored ink part. Less is more though.
>>
>>370514
>>370767
>>371117
>>371138
>>
>>370234
How does one create a functioning grid system?
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 399x385)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
The fact that we even have to talk about this is depressing. “Skill bars” are the dumbest concept in a resume I’ve only kept the ones submitted to us to laugh at with my coworkers.
>>
slightly irrelevant, but what programs do you use to make your resume?
>>
>>371521
indesign
>>
>>370234
>>
>>370980
>Do you hate fun that much?
if you want to make fun then apply for a circus job, you clown.
>>
File: 1342994167825.jpg (15 KB, 362x372)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>371529
>>
>>371529
I remember reading an interview with this guy. Turns out, he used it, the company noticed it and thought it’d be cute to call him in. Turns out, he’s really qualified as a rocket scientist, and now does government contracting.
Feels like a bullshit story, but then again, I’m constantly surprised by bullshit that works in spite commonly observed expectations of taste and professionalism.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.