[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 51456132.png (2 KB, 225x225)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
What are some guides or outlined structures that can help a self-taught graphic designer things that will help them improve their craft?

For example: boards like /ic/ or /fit/ have a lot of in-depth guides and go-to books or methods that they mention in order for a beginner to grind out and study, in order to improve their fundamentals or understand. Does /gd/ have any of that? I've read the wiki in the sticky, but it's not very fleshed out.

All I'm wondering is if there is any structure or guide you guys would recommend to get start in graphic design more and make noticeable improvements (ie start reading this book, the move on to this, and read that next, etc)

TL;DR What are some fleshed out guides, books or methods that outline what books to read and what to study as a graphic designer. The sticky wiki is lacking info compared to other chan wikis.
>>
Back when I was in high school, I used the sparse selection of Youtube tutorials that existed at the time, and followed some of the more plentiful text and image based tutorials. Finding out how to do a specific effect, learning how to use a certain software or tool, or even just learning a bunch of techniques is super easy.

Getting information on fundamentals and actually learning design is a lot tougher. Especially since more and more resources are putting their learning materials behind paid "courses", since that's the big new money-making fad. Check out archive.org for older books on design, and scope out >>>/t/ for textbooks and the occasional online course compilation. There are also quite a few notable designers with a Youtube presence who will upload tutorials and critiques and general knowledge stuff, but even some of them (see: TheFutur) save information for their own paid courses.

The resources are there, you just have to know where to look.
>>
>>363271
there are alot of books and stuff out there. you can learn about grid theory, typography, process, etc

honestly though nothing beats a real college program. graphic design is one of the few fields where you actually need college to genuinely learn stuff. trust me, ive tried the whole self learning route for a year. the knowledge gaps are inevitable and huge without a college program.
>>
>>363282
Only $15,000 a semester, goyim.
>>
>>363282
> graphic design is one of the few fields where you actually need college to genuinely learn stuff
is this sarcasm?
>>
>>363285
no. the stem meme is a lie. you can learn about those other things with books. its just knowledge. graphic design is more than that. process and critique are integral to learning. more than knowledge of any grids or typography itself. those things you can easily pick up. content and concept creation are what actually make you a designer and you cant learn those from adequately from any book or video that im aware of.
>>
>>363282
only if you get into one of the top schools of design, all the rest are pure bs
>>
>>363271
color theory
cmyk vs rbg
learn the principals of design and typesetting
rules of typesetting, eg: leading widows orphans rivers shit to know and avoid
in school we got to run presses but i doubt that interests plebs.
learn about the design periods, neuveaux, art deco, streamline, modernism etc... my fav—bauhouse
you need to know most software, indesign/quark/ps/cc etc
learn everything and then throw it out the window.
>>
File: SUPERKENKEN-min.jpg (28 KB, 370x432)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>363282
>>363289

OP here, Sincerely curious.

What makes /gd/ less of a self-taught skill than fine art? I know graphic design is more technical than most artistic mediums, but the latter stuff that you described is something that could be replicated on forums and other communities, could it not? I know 4chan may sometimes not be the best website for art critique because users will abuse the anonymity, but I'm just using my experience of /ic/ as my point of reference. I have received a lot of good critique that has helped me a lot in the long run, despite all the shitposting that may occur or happen. So I'm just wondering if there is something else that college would give over a self-taught path?
>>
>>363289
>the stem meme is a lie
No. If you're getting into a science field, you absolutely need to go to school. Science isn't subjective. You can't defend poor decisions and incorrect answers by claiming it's "avant-garde" no matter how respected you are.
>you can learn about those other things with books
When you go to school for graphic design, what you're learning is exactly what you'd find in those books and other readily accessible resources. You learn about color theory, the golden ratio, typography, compositional techniques, the tools you'll be using, etc. You can learn all of it at home without spending a dime, and at the end of the day, you're there for the piece of paper that tells other people what you've learned and how much you've paid to learn it.
This is especially true for creative fields like graphic design and photography, where there are no hard rules but instead guidelines. You're not going to kill anyone because you chose the wrong shade of blue or placed the subject in the center of the frame.

The benefits you've listed for going to school can easily be attributed to simply hanging around other artists or posting your work in public forums for critique.

>>363326
>What makes /gd/ less of a self-taught skill than fine art?
Nothing. You can learn just about everything the big names know at home on your own. The difference is that graphic design is mainly used as a marketing tool, and you're more likely to make money if you can tell clients that you've spent tens of thousands of dollars to go to ArtCenter than if you claim to be self taught, regardless of what you know.
>>
Anyone have any books they swear by?

Or any online instructors or artists they adore and recommend?

Lastly, any tips for logo creation, or getting better at making logos?
>>
>>363289
> content and concept creation are what actually make you a designer and you cant learn those from adequately from any book or video that im aware of.
you're not gonna learn anything from simply reading books, what matters is that you are actually doing it, so you have a point. But its absolute bollocks that you have to go to college or whatever to DO it. You can absolutely create shit at home and receive feedback online from peers, facebook or whatever.
>>
It's so saturated and competitive now that it isn't even worth it unless you have a degree. Don't even bother and find another profession.
>>
>>363282
wait wtf is grid theory?
>>
>>363726
the absolute state of /gd/ everyone

why do i even come here
>>
>>363732
Good question. Please don't stick around long enough to answer it.
>>
File: Grid-theory.jpg (27 KB, 417x500)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>363745
>>363726
dude come on... i am like compleet noob but even i know the basics
>>
File: Angry Dolphin.jpg (11 KB, 314x295)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>363697
You could say the same thing about anything and everything anon. You have to grow a fucking spine and try your best, even if you fuck up, else you won't get anywhere in life.

I really wish this board was more motivated to talk about their craft. Graphic Design is a very profitable and important thing to learn it seems like. If you know how to make and develop a brand, you can make massive profit.
>>
>>363282
The only reason this is true is because of critiques with your classmates and professers. If you are going the sekf taught route (which I wish I did instead of spending tens of thousands on student loans) you NEED to find a way/place to participate in constructive, high quality critiques. Zero exceptions.
>>
it's obvious people learn graphic design with only a computer and a mouse but don't know how to
>>
>>363283
Not having top tier free college lessons, this fagget
>>
>>363929
>top tier college
>can't spell faggot
(X) Doubt
>>
>>363697
name an industry that's not saturated

>>go to supermarket
>>look at the package designs
>>veryugly.exe

most companies have shit design, there's always an opportunity to level them the fuck up

expect more of yourself or delete your internet
>>
>>363665
no. that's bullshit. ive done that entire thing.

two things:
1) its impossible to get good critique online. the people in graphic design forums and online spaces for whatever reason are trash at graphic design. all the people that are actually good at graphic design are not critiquing randos online. and those are the only people whose critique matters.

2) i have looked everywhere and for WHATEVER REASON, there is not one book or video or piece of media that actually breaks down the actual content and concept creation process step by step like design school does. I have no idea why, and im not playing. Every single book/video/ article/whatever totally skips over that part. I'm not sure why, especially since as ive learned its a huge part of the process of being a graphic designer. Youre literally just randomly looking at stuff in google images or behance or whatever in order to put stuff in your design or generate ideas, which makes for mediocrity.
>>
>>363328
>No. If you're getting into a science field, you absolutely need to go to school. Science isn't subjective. You can't defend poor decisions and incorrect answers by claiming it's "avant-garde" no matter how respected you are.

lmao you're an idiot.
>>
>>363968
Nice retort. Very avant-garde of you.
>>
>>363932
>being 13 on the internet
kys fagget.
>>
>>363971
>needing to pay an expensive tuition so a professor could explain to you an expensive book
ask someone online get with the times retard
>>
>>363636
>Lastly, any tips for logo creation, or getting better at making logos?
Design in shape. Not in color.
Look at the work of saul bass to get an idea of what i am talking about.
>>
>>363282
>graphic design is one of the few fields where you actually need college to genuinely learn stuff
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH

t. bachelor in graphic design
>>
>>364076
Love Logo Design by David Airey. It was updated lasy year. I'm reading it right now and it's pretty nice. At least for me, total beginner.
>>
>>364380
Holy shit thanks anon

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.