[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 137 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: felix_chromatic.gif (1.62 MB, 540x540)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB GIF
Where should I go if I want to buy some good, clean web templates? Tried some free ones and they all felt sluggish, slow and unresponsive.
>>
ThemeForest [templates category]
>>
How can agencies charge so much and still find clients? Folks like H(a(v(i(v))) makes me question life
>>
how do I get the effect in OP's gif? preferably in premiere pro
>>
File: skelefast.gif (219 KB, 122x220)
219 KB
219 KB GIF
>>361038
>Chromatic aberration in Pr
The easiest way would be to use a plug-in such as twitch. However, that's kind of cheating since that Felix doesn't has it's color channels shifted by position but by time.
Easiest way I can think of doing it properly is the following
>Throw footage on new sequence
>duplicate it, put it on a 2nd layer and shift it one frame forward. Apply Color Balance effect set red channel to 200 and blue and green to 0. Change blending mode to additive
>duplicate it, put it on a 3rd layer, shift it a frame forward and change the visible color channel
>do it once again
>put original footage on top of all layers
you don't have to use RGB for the channel separation, OP's pic has cyan for example
>picrelated would be a much better example if it didn't move so damn fast but it's the only gif without a bg I have saved and I'm too lazy to look for a more appropriate one
>>
2 things:

is position: sticky; bad practice

and also why does position: sticky; not work with flexbox in safari
>>
It's been awhile since I've done graphic design and I got a project to do some T-shirt designs. Which software would be best for this and any advice you can give to make sure they look nice

It's not a big client just a friend who's doing stuff for his fraternity
>>
>>361073
Depends on what you want to print
Ai would be the safest option and it's mandatory if you are planning on cutting vinyl
>>
File: 026a.jpg (182 KB, 864x1226)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Favourite techniques to add realistic noise to digital art to make it look like it was scanned from a print?

Obviously I can pick out elements to consider from examples like pic related (blue cast, print lines, reduced range, etc.) but just wondering if anyone has a go-to technique.
>>
>>361073
post an example, it usually goes like this:
> draw the sketch > take a photo/scan it > import pic into Photoshop (canvas: 2875x3900px) > "ink" or redraw the line-art (the photo locked in the background) > import into Illustrator > auto-trace > clean > colorize
>>
File: 1551732903446.jpg (100 KB, 540x540)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
What do you call this type of picture? Is it just glitch art?
>>
>>361417
>go-to technique
I don't but I'm interested as well

>>361418
>redraw in Ps then autotrace in Ai
my fucking sides

>>361422
>What do you call this
overdone
>>
its called aesthetics
>>
>>361428
believe it or not is very common to do it that way, but it depends of the type of shirts, here's an example:
https://youtu.be/OLZYZiAluxc?t=46
>>
I want to do web in my native country and there's like 2-3 "agencies" that completely dominate with shit work just because they have big name connections to rich people and gov (founders of each agency aren't even designers and the people they hire is a joke).

How and what can I do to stand out and be a better alternative when I have 0 connections there and big name clients don't give a shit about quality?

Second question, what should I do if they try to bully me out of the field if they were to hear my existence?
>>
>>361530
Try asking them if they outsource work. Steal their clients, if you can. That's probably how they did it. Agency work is dog eat dog.
>>
>>361422
It's emulating a CRT/TV picture, by oversaturating the linescan and adding artifacts. It was done purposefully.
>>
not sure if this is the right place to ask since i realize this board is more about graphic design than animation. But what programs and subjects do i need to get into if i want to make stupid animated shitposts. You know the wojak and doomer videos on YT etc.
Link related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxeF7kQdDa4
>>
>>362086
AfterEffects would be the best choice but for something as crude as that you can use pretty much any non-linear video editing soft
>>
I want print a 90x150cm flag.
What canvas size do I should use to get a perfect print?(I'm using Inkscape)

This is the best that I can get:

4252x2552=90,03x150,00cm
4252x2551=89,00x150,00cm

Also:
Any idea how many DPI (dots per inch) should have my Inkscape file?
>>
>>362346
>canvas size
90x150 cm
>dpi

it will be a pretty heavy file, if it's too much for your potato, you can lower dpi to 150 and it will still look fine
>>
>>362352
What will happend if use 96.00 dpi?

If I change the dpi the size of my design changes.
>>
>>362360
dpi means dots per inch, literally how much detail is printed per inch
300 dpi is pretty much the standard for high res prints, going with 150 gives pretty good results, I wouldn't go lower than that if it's meant to be seen up close, if you are planning on hanging the flag high (so no one stands really close to see the printing quality isn't dandy) you can get away with lower a dpi but it's not optimal.

>If I change the dpi the size of my design changes
indeed
>>
>>362361
Retarded question:
I'm using a few cm to px converter web pages to know the exact canvas size:

Why I keep getting different numbers in the thousandths?:

5669x3401= 5669.291339x3401.574803 (90x150cm )
http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/centimeterpixel.php

5669x3401= 5669.2913386x3401.5748031 (90x150cm )
https://www.unitconverters.net/typography/centimeter-to-pixel-x.html

And when I used this converter web page https://www.blitzresults.com/en/pixel/ I got this totally different number:

4251x2551=89,99x150,00 (90x150cm )

Wich is the correct canvas size in px for 90x150cm?
Am I retarded?

>>If I change the dpi the size of my design changes
indeed

I was able to import my design with this exact size 4251x2551 but in png format.
Will I have a good print in this format?
It really necessary be SVG format?
>>
I heard dribbble now lets people upload mp4 files with sound but I haven't seen that much people using that format, is .gif better for Ae/vector/animation? when compared gif's are usually twice the size of mp4's but they look much better.
>>
File: ss001beelogo.png (328 KB, 804x803)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
I feel like I need to do more to this but am not sure what need some critiques/advice
>>
>>362544
The individual shapes should only have one colour each. I get what you're going for with the wings but there's not enough contrast between white and yellow to make it work.
>>
>>362362
That calculator you are using makes no sense, just create your canvas in cm and choose your dpi, you don't need to worry about pixels

>>362367
>when compared gif's are usually twice the size of mp4's but they look much better
you need to find the bitrate sweetspot for mp4s to balance size-quality
I usually use these settings for full hd video
>target br: 12
>max br: 16
just test what works best for your source material

>>362544
pretty much this >>362554
it's specially annoying on the letters
adding a 3rd color to create something akin of a bevel might work
>>
File: 122.png (340 KB, 1364x1529)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>362556
>That calculator you are using makes no sense, just create your canvas in cm and choose your dpi, you don't need to worry about pixels

In this way Sensei?

Any idea how can I export this but on a SVG file?
I'm using Inkscape.
>>
>>362619
I'm just realizing we are talking about inkscape not gimp (I haven't ever used either though)
what you have here is a conceptual problem, SVG is literally Scalable Vector Graphic, therefore, you don't care about it's size/resolution, only thing that matters is that you get the ratio right (15:9 in this case) since you can just scale it afterwards without losing quality.
making the canvas bigger will only increase the file size

>export as png
what you are doing here is rasterizing the image, which means that you lose all vector information, you don't want to do that.
again, I've never used inkscape but there should be an option to save the file as .eps / .svg or some other vectorial format (sure that's a google search away)
however, this is assuming you actually drew that on inkscape and that the paths are there, if you just pasted some image it will already be rasterized and you will need to trace it.
inkscape should have some sort of auto-trace tool (again, just google it) and if not, torrent Vector Magic which is lightweight and simple as fuck
>>
File: 67776.png (39 KB, 662x538)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>362625
Which SVG option is the best?

So do I should use Gimp instead?

>export as png

You are right, I can see a loose of quality.

Also:
I'm working with SVG files that I got from Wikipedia.
>>
>>362630
>Which SVG option is the best?
I always go for eps, plain svg works as well

>gimp instead
no, that's for raster files

>SVG files that I got from Wikipedia
then you should be able to export it in vectorial without any problems
>>
>>362634
What is the difference between: "Inkscape SVG" file and "Plain SVG" file?
>>
>>362635
plain svg is universal and can be opened with whatever program you want
inkscape svg surely saves some extra editing capability but only if you open it with inkscape
don't expect your printshop to be running your same software, use something that won't create compatibility problems
>>
>>362646
I already save my design on "Inkscape SVG" file. Can I open up that SVG file and then save it as "Plain SVG" file without any problem?
>>
>>362647
yes. just save it as .eps and stop worrying about it.
>>
>>361042
came back to this thread a few weeks later,
thanks anon!
>>
>>362656
Any idea how can I know the size on pixels of my SVG work?
>>
File: svg.jpg (40 KB, 314x317)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>362668
>not sure if you are really thick or severely underaged
vectors don't work like raster images, they are about the paths not the pixels
refer to google/wikipedia if you need further assistance because this spoon-feeding has got to stop

>>362647
you are welcome anon
now that I look at it again I realize that Felix has CMYK channels shifted (not RGB) and that some are shifted forward while some others are shifted backwards from the main movement but the concept on how to do it is pretty much the same.
I can't stop looking at that lovely double-bounce walk cycle now
>>
File: 121127i8.jpg (117 KB, 440x330)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>362696
>this spoon-feeding has got to stop

Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
>>
How come big name people and agencies dont have their shit on sites like Instagram, beheance, etc? Aren't those sites the defacto places to share shit to get popular?

Does one have to be snobby and exclusive to get places by not putting shit on public places? I'm almost tempted charging people just to look at my portfolio
>>
Why won't the default 3D LUT presets show up in Photoshop CS6?
>>
>>362861
what do you mean?
take a screenshot or something for those of us who use CC
>>
How do you deal with imposter syndrome? I started out with logo design recently and everything I draw on my phone is something I consider horrible. But then I see big name agencies doing shit that's shit and it makes me question whether or not I'm beating myself up too much
>>
>>362942
Doesn't The Futur have a video on this? I haven't watched it, but I assume it's decent.
>>
>>362954
He says to just stop comparing and be yourself while learning from others. That really doesn't help because I'm doing that too
>>
File: just.jpg (85 KB, 1056x816)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>362965
picrelated

>>362942
>How do you deal with imposter syndrome?
I can't remember which musician was that said something along the lines of
>albums don't get finished, they get abandoned
If your base is solid, some extra polishing won't make the difference, just leave it like that, if the base is flawed, start over
>>
I have a picture in photoshop of which I want a part to change +5 hue for every new layer. Best way to go about this ?
>>
>>363036
Okay I figured it out:
1) Create Action and bind it to F3
2) Record the following
->New Layer
->CTRL+U
->Change Hue +5
3)Stop Recording
4)Select only the area you want to change
5)Keep Hammering F3 70x Times
>>
>>363036
>>363037
Interested to know what you're doing with this.
>>
File: 6387468.gif (3.08 MB, 492x572)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB GIF
>>363068
>>
>>363122
>>363037
Well, I guess that works but you could just open the timeline and add a couple of hue rotation keyframes instead of playing actions like a madman
>>
>>363125
what gives
>>
Bossman at my retail gig at a small mom and pop music shop just gave me the task of some freelance design work for ads

I know my way around photoshop, but does anyone have any good repos of royalty free fonts they recommend?
>>
File: help me.png (142 KB, 512x882)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
I've been using the same software for maybe three years now and Adobe only just caught onto this?

The Pirate Bay is a bit of a shit show these days. Where do you lot tend to go to get your pirated software? I'm essentially in need of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign. Bridge, Premiere Pro, After Effects are a nice bonus.

I dont know what you guys are like on piracy, I will say my workplace already has licensed software so at home is more hobbyist.
>>
>>363132
just use one that isn't royalty free, you won't get sued

>>363146
>not firewalling adobe's access
tpb should be fine, you can try cgpeers/cgpersia/rutracker otherwise
>>
What's up with people who criticize logos as if someone shat down their throat? Or worse, when someone dick sucks a clearly bad logo. That site called "under cons.." is the worst cesspool I've seen in my life next to twitter
>>
File: 1553089134726.jpg (99 KB, 750x750)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
can anyone link me a full pirated version of photoshop? anything above cs5 will do it, thanks in advance
>>
>>363182

https://sites.google.com/site/raymondfreesoftware/

There are cc versions for 2018, where you just need to replace amtlib.dll
>>
>>363154
Anyone?
>>
>>361417
reduced range noise
>>
File: 1526250809100.gif (489 KB, 600x338)
489 KB
489 KB GIF
>>363187
thank you so much!!
>>
>>360825
Is there an art program that I can draw a curved line, and tell the program to straighten it but keep the same length? I'm trying to measure something in a drawing that isn't straight.
>>
>>363254
Just approximate it with a bunch of straight lines and add them up. The inaccuracy is irrelevant since you are measuring something with an image, if you want accuracy you should bring a ruler to the physical object.
>>
How can i replicate this glitched/scanned chromatic burn look on the text in this poster? preferably illustrator but if it takes Photoshop no big deal either.
>>
>>363310
why don't you just do the real thing instead?
>open image with text on your phone
>place it in the scanner
>move it around while scanning
>repeat till it looks good
>>
>>361422
tacky
>>
Ive always stock to 300 DPI as the pribt minimum

New boss says for "digital printing" 150 is the minimum.

I cant find anywhere to back that up. Is that right?
Is that just cause Digital is inherantly less detailed anyways?
>>
>>363575
depends on viewing distance
300dpi is a good standard to use but you can get away with 150
this thread might help
https://archived.moe/gd/thread/359435/
>>
File: Screenshot_192.png (4 KB, 400x200)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>360825
Do you guys think this is a cool flag design?
>>
>>363586
no sane human would
>>
How do some folks charge so much for design? Bribes? Prostitution? It boggles my mind that some big name agencies are able to charge the prices they demand
>>
>>363586
please stop
>>
File: Capture.jpg (95 KB, 1214x573)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Is there a way to edit a font with photoshop so that its completely usable by windows? Duckduckgo doesnt wanna help me since it keeps thinking that I just want to add a new font to photoshop, but I want to be able to edit the full .ttf files.
Or if thats not possible whats a decent free font editor thats not too difficult to get into? I want to be able to just draw letters (or in this case numbers since some of them are unintelligible, plus I need to add an ß since it doesnt have it) since the original font looks hand drawn as well.

Also if anyone could maybe explain the legal situation with fonts even though I can already imagine that its pure cancer. For example hipsterish which my customer (who is also my mom) wants me to use, obviously has a free version which Im using now, but also a pro version that includes bold letters and allows you to use it for different shit, see pic related. The primary use right now is for flyers, business cards and stamp cards, so print only, which isnt included in the list of available shit, and I guess since the creator will never be able to find out if a local business uses the font they dont care.
But it is possible that in the future she will also want a website, which ideally should use the same design as the printed stuff. How much would I need to change up the font for it to be legally mine? Is there even anything the original designer can do even in the off chance of them finding the website?
>>
Someone please fucking tell me how can I come up with a good fucking name for my business? If I want a mainstream word you commonly use in real life, the .com going to set me a price tag of $1M or more. Chris spent like 500K for blind, I don't have that kind of money at all. 4 letter domains have an asking price of 20K+.

My name is being squatted by some asshole who doesn't even want to sell it and the website hasn't worked for years. How can I come up with a good name that is memorable and doesn't cost a fuck ton? I don't want to come up with something being squatted on for a gorillion bucks
>>
There was a link to a design agency that closed and gave their secret sauce on how to open an agency; with office format and how to bill. Does anyone still have that link?
>>
>>363973
>I want to make it big in the creative market but I lack imagination
it ain't hard to find a 2 words domain name that sounds cool
>t. someone whose company is named substantive+adjective
>>
I want to design a logo for a fictional corporation that's primarily text based with a small underscored logo. What's a good program to do this in? Ideally something with an extensive font list or that I can add fonts to
>>
What's decent software to use to make an A0 poster with a decent amount of text on it for a uni project? I have absolutely zero artistic ability.
>>
>>363979
>>I want to make it big in the creative market but I lack imagination
>it ain't hard to find a 2 words domain name that sounds cool
>>t. someone whose company is named substantive+adjective
Do you even make money tho? I want a appealing name that's affordable
>>
>>364020
>Do you even make money tho?
I've been living of it for the past 10 years
As long as your portfolio is solid, it doesn't matter if your studio is called "poop on a stick"
>>
>>364025
Any advice on how to come up with a name then? I was thinking of using a foreign exotic word in a different language but feel like t could deter away from having public exposure
>>
GD is a swamped field right? I enjoy making stuff at a base level and can see myself taking it far, but there's no job in this right?
>>
>>364101
I would like an answer to this question as well.
>>
File: 1529198442035.png (1.5 MB, 1534x2934)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
How do I change the image to 1600x1200 in gimp (or photoshop)?
>>
>>364101
depends on where you live. I live in NY, and it's so oversaturated even with all my experience I have difficulty landing a job depending on the time of year. In october, i couldn't get a job to save my life. In may I was able to get some lower paying ones, but nothing decent.

When I was living in Texas, it was really easy for me to land a job. Really it just depends i guess,
>>
File: 5a.jpg (81 KB, 593x341)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Lineart. Sometimes i need it when I'm not doing vector and i'm doing hand drawn things. Am I doomed to always have awful, unclean lineart if I don't have a tablet?

What i've been doing so far is using path, stroke and simulate pressure, but it's not as professional looking as i hoped.
>>
Thoughts on contest sites like 99designs? I feel like it's basically a gamble since clients are retarded.
>>
>>364101
>>364126
this can be said about any field
if your work is good, you'll have clients

>>364348
you didn't even bothered googling or trying to learn the basics of the software
you should resample it with bicubic sharper though

>>364421
that looks pretty good desu but yeah, a cheap wacom is a good (and small) investment if you care about lineart cleanliness, otherwise, do it on paper, scan it and trace over it

>>364422
don't work for free
only work on those sites if you get the project, no contests
>>
How do I stop AE CS6 from anti aliasing pixel art?
>>
>>364432
>you didn't even bothered googling or trying to learn the basics of the software
you should resample it with bicubic sharper though
I did but I had no idea what to look for, because of that my search results weren't what I was looking for.
Thanks for the heads up. Now all I have to do is find a way to do this in gimp.
>>
File: 1524187168763.png (616 KB, 1600x1200)
616 KB
616 KB PNG
>>364432
>you didn't even bothered googling or trying to learn the basics of the software
>you should resample it with bicubic sharper though
followed your instrustion in PS. The result is hilarious and gimp gave me this thing too. That's why I asked how to do it (properly).
>>
File: high-iq.jpg (200 KB, 1600x1200)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>364445
listen Einstein, just stop and think for a second on what you are trying to do
you can't magically go from one ratio to another and keep the image the same
you can either match the height and have 2 black bars on the sides
or match the width and crop the rest

>bicubic sharper
still the right method for reduction
>>
File: 1531955216162.png (589 KB, 1600x1200)
589 KB
589 KB PNG
>>364456
Alright I get that you don't know how to do it.
Someone >>7397496 did this (almost) perfectly. I asked here instead of asking him cause that thread wasn't for asking stupid questions.
>you can't magically go from one ratio to another and keep the image the same
I know that's why I asked.
>>
File: doopliss.png (442 KB, 2067x1878)
442 KB
442 KB PNG
I don't have an art tablet of any kind, so I use my mouse to draw then trace over the outlines with a path tool on a new layer. I like the look, but it takes forever to do. Is there a faster method outside of buying an art tablet? I know how to taper brush strokes, but the lack of pressure sensitivity means they don't taper back at the end of a stroke.
>>
>>364487
he obviously edited the image. resized with blackbars and then copypasted the floor tiles and filled the background with the same color
>>
I'm trying to make one layer sit on top of another in GIMP nicely, but when I merge layers and run the final product through the program used for display at the end of the day, rather than a stack, I get the bottom layer's lines superimposed over the image I'm laying on top. My first time touching gimp was about sixteen hours ago, so odds are if there's a really basic or stupid fix, it'll help.
>>
>>364629
You don't have to merge the layers before you export. Check your opacity levels.
>>
What other sites should i use to find graphic design discussions/critique/advice? /gd/ is way too slow, it sometimes takes weeks until you get a reply
>>
Can't find it anymore but there was someone who posted some websites like WordPress but more graphic, do you guys know ? Like some templates shit
>>
File: Untitled.0.jpg (114 KB, 1200x800)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
What is the appeal of things like this? I think they are ugly, but boss wants something similar.
>>
>>364734
if you're a beginner or intermediate, maybe try discord, look on google for communities by searching for "site:discord.me design"
>>
>PSD document has sensitive info
>change said info, purge history, and save to a new file
>send file to someone who should never ever see abovementioned sensitive info
How fucked am I?
Can they see what the text layers used to say in previous versions?

Please help quickly.
Thank you very much in advance.
>>
>>364896
>Can they see what the text layers used to say in previous versions?
no
only thing they might access is exif data but that doesn't seem relevant
>>
>>364902
Thank you very much.

Is there a specific reason why you think so, or you just never heard of it?
>>
File: logo preview.png (20 KB, 503x503)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
I feel like I'm one detail off, it feels like something's missing, but I just can't grasp it.
>>
What style is this called?
I would say vintage, but I think it's too broad of a term.
>>
>>364937
Another example.
>>
>>364937
afaik it's been started by David Rudnick, and it's influenced by 90s/rave flyers. see trendlist.org for some similar stuff.
>>
>>364939
Thanks!
>>
>>364940
also, forgot to add, it's sometimes lumped under "brutalism" label, but I think it's not exactly correct. it's a separate style, although they do get merged together often.
>>
>>364892
Yeah im between beginner and intermediate and im not sure where to go for advice and critique, 4 years in uni barely taught me anything and was just a waste of time and money
Thanks a lot anon, hope ill find some good communities
>>
>>364926
too much empty space next right to B S
>>
>>365039
Yep that's it, but I'm not sure what to put there.
>>
File: catch22.png (375 KB, 1374x579)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
Any tips on how to make a book cover? Just saw the trailer for Catch 22 and it being one of my favorite books, I wanted to print out mind own outer cover for the book I have.
Pic related is what I wanna use.
>>
File: Wappen_Fachingen.png (68 KB, 184x252)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
Hello /gd/,
how do I get the attached image to look nice and clean with a nice big resolution?
>>
is there a button or function in Maya that merges all vertices that are in the same position (X, Y, Z)?
I have too many duplicate vertices for some reason and marquee selecting them all / shift clicking is the worst - i know how to shift rightclick drag up to instant merge to centre, but selecting the same-position vertices is the most time consuming thing and i know it can be automated.
>>
>>365305
figured it out select entire model and use the standard merge tool with a specified difference. OOF
>>
File: file.png (17 KB, 866x320)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
PS isn't my forte but I need to use it to insert translations into a texture Atlas used by a game.
I need to delete the chinese text but the problem is I don't know how to preserve the opaque background.
>>
File: file.png (3 KB, 128x70)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>365318
Well I don't know if there was a better way but what I ended up doing was just deleting the text area and losing the opaque BG but then I used the patch tool to take the opaque bg below it and move it in to replace.
Worked great there but I don't know how it'll fare for very small icons with very little to patch or with gradients.
>>
File: 1527758265554.png (1.46 MB, 1920x1080)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
Is there any way to achieve vignette-like background for a video without heavy banding?
>>
File: 1548672572521.png (1.44 MB, 1920x1080)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>365350
Banding is more visible with dark background colors and adding more noise makes it look like shit. I need a rather minimal background for a video but I literally have no other idea.
>>
File: lines.gif (1.09 MB, 500x382)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB GIF
What program would you use to create something like this, and how would you go about doing it? I make a lot of joke "album covers" for my friends designed around really tacky and overdone vaporwave design tropes, and I want to produce something similar to this for one.
>>
>>365352
After Effects, takes like a few minutes to do the basic setup.
Make two solid layers, click 3D switch, put a Grid effects on them and Offset to scroll them if you want to animate it.
Add an adjustment layer on top a add a pirated VHS tape effects plugin there.
Then add a camera and position your grid layers accordingly in 3D space. Wa-la!
Of course you will have to tweak it a lot until it looks good.
>>
>>365352
Alternatively, you might want to try Cinema 4D for a more flexible approach without limiting yourself to flat grids.
>>
>>365352
i generally use blackmagicdesign fusion for this (plus you could animate it), but if you're looking for something more mainstream blender + photoshop or something similar would work too.
>>
Is it me, or is there a slight overlap in 1920s and 1980s design?
>>
>>365413
if by 1920s you mean constructivism etc., then kinda. the triangles/circles of the '80s were taken from constructivism.
>>
What programs can I use for graphic design stuff like making shit like llogos or brand stuff for clients? Preferably something that works on an iPad
>>
File: WIRES.gif (170 KB, 800x610)
170 KB
170 KB GIF
How would I go about recreating something like this?
>>
>>365470
Either in Ps or Ae
>create animation of moving parallel lines
>mask it
>repeat
>add eyes and mouth
>export it as gif with patterned dither
>>
>>365512
Thanks, Anonymous. I'll give it a go later.
>>
For a site Im working on I'm thinking about using small illustraions for category icons. The'll pretty much be small banners, on mobike I'd show 1 or two per row.

Is it a bad idea? does anyone have a good ref or inspo for this?
>>
>>363586
more liek fag design
niger fagget
>>
Why do 95% of serif typfaces look the same?
>>
>>365670
maybe to an outsider, they do. But do you even know the difference between oldstyle, transitional, modern, slab, etc? do you understand that the old serif typefaces were developed before most experimentation with type started in XIXth century, because woodblock and lithography had not appeared yet, and most type was made for books?
to answer the question, they might look similar, but the difference is in the details. the contrast, the form of serifs, the size of apertures, the axis, the construction of some glyphs, etc. if it looks the same to you, might as well say Helvetica and Frutiger look the same.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (465 B, 324x36)
465 B
465 B PNG
what would this be called? I want to find more but I don't know the proper key word(s) for this
>>
>>365671
Fucking INTERESTING reply anon, good job

I should look into the history of typefaces more, the helvetica documentary was pretty good.
>>
>>365701
Doppler effect?
Monochrome Nascar?
>>
>>365702
here's a short overview of different kinds of fonts
(the book is Typographic Design: Form and Communication)
>>
>>365702
here's more about how to tell them apart
>>
>>365701
this is not exact but "halftone stripes" I guess
>>
File: workinprogress.png (48 KB, 588x590)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>360825

Question: how can I combine shapes to get rid of the crossing lines (circled in red) without making the star inside of the circle invisible?
>>
>>365798
Pathfinder panel in Ai is your friend
>>
>>365818

Thank you!
>>
Any go-to books or resources, or just any topics I should read up on when it comes to web and app design?

I have many app ideas regarding finance but no money to actually pay someone to do the graphic design. So I need to learn a bit by myself.
>>
>>365845
rather than books go with video courses there's tons at sites like lynda, skillshare, udemy.
>>
I used to use dropbox for sending files to clients but now they changed to subscription, what do you guys use? google drive?
>>
>>365886
>dropbox changed to subscription model
what? this is what I use daily but haven't received any notification of my plan changing, I pay yearly for it.

>alternatives
wetransfer is reliable, affordable and lets you customize the look of the download screen with your branding or whatever. don't send the wetransfer directly to your client though, send it to yourself and you will get a shortened link that's way more tidy than your client getting a mail from wetransfer with a long as fuck link to the download

if you don't want to spend money, wetransfer still works but has a 2gb limit and links expire after a week
myairbridge has a 20gb limit but links expire after only 2 days
>>
What're your honest thoughts on the Campbell's soup can?
>>
File: campbells_01.jpg (39 KB, 337x263)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>365959
I don't know why you care about it like it's an "icon".
that said, I think it's a nice example of pre-modern design which anticipated many later design trends.
it's curious that initially the cans looked differently, and apparently the change to 2 colors was inspired by Cornell football team uniform. goes to show that colors are a simple, good way to create identity.
these 2 solid blocks of color proved recognizable, while being really minimalist and boasting some white space—this is especially groundbreaking for the time when deliberate Victorian and Art Nouveau designs still prevailed (see picrelated).
In result they achieved a very focused, powerful, and recognizable package, that was ahead of its time and could remain with minimum redesign over decades. like with Coca-Cola script, their script logo aged nicely, going from trendy font of the era to a symbol of something traditional and American. and eventually it became iconic, if only because of the time it has remained unchanged.
that said, design didn't stand at one place all that time, so while good, today you won't surprise anyone with it, IMO.
>>
What is the serif equivalent of Helvetica?
>>
>>366070
this can mean a lot of things. what exact qualities of Helvetica do you mean?
>>
What program can I use to make flyers?

I have the creative chops. I just need to make some advertising flyers ASAP.
>>
File: wallhaven-473366.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Can anyone tell me what the effect on Driver is called and how I might replicate it in GIMP on another figure? I've tried searching online but the only videos seem to be making retro 80's fonts.
>>
>>366088
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cye3VaLo0Go
>>
>>360825
so I once heard that when making a font there's only 5-6 letters that you need to do first, since the rest of the letters are derivatives of them or something, anyone knows which ones could they be?
>>
>>361417
paper texture overlay and some emulated light through a gradient
>>
>>361530
Promote yourself on Instagram or whatever social media platform is most popular in your country. Spend a little on boosting and you'll get people messaging you. Now I can't guarantee they're quality clients but it's something.
>>
File: kokoro-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg (207 KB, 1240x930)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
Crossboarding from /cgl/:
I want to buy a bodysuit pattern from Arachnid Studios for Ichigo, Darling in the Franxx. Unfortunately, every single pattern and cosplay on offer is inaccurate: the artists got lazy and recolored Zero-Two's suit instead of recoloring Ikuno/Kokoro's suits like they should have. I've contacted the artist but haven't gotten any response.
So my question: how feasible would it be to purchase the .TIFF file of Kokoro, pic related, and recolor it myself using GIMP?
>>
Question for designers about printing. I'm new to design, why do designers ask clients what's their printing budget? Is it because colors are more expensive than others? Is there a website that I can check to see the costs to how much certain colors cost than others?

I'm really lost on this matter. Every shit like future always asks the client the printing budget
>>
>>366071
In terms of how universally it's used.
>>
>>366109
from my experience designing fonts, start with "u,n,a,c,o" for the basic shapes of your minuscules. And "h,p,t" to get a feel for your descenders and ascenders.
For your majuscules, go for "A,B,T,O,M,R"
Adrian Frutiger is someone who has a well documented typographic process.
>>
>>366276
paperquality is also a factor. And the type of printing depends on the desired volume a client is willing to pay. makes your job easier, makes calculations easier. and you could even argue breaking down budgets of a client is part of a sales tactic
>>
>>366284
it's a tough call, because Helvetica is far more universal than anything serif. it may be used for anything from logos to headlines to body type, while serif is usually reserved for body. Helvetica also is also often labeled "neutral", and not without reason, because it fits almost everywhere. compare this to fonts like Bodoni which look distinctive and carry quite obvious connotations.
so if you're looking for SAME level universality, I think that's impossible.
and the closest thing? it's a boring answer, but probably the classics, old style and transitional. both old stuff like Garamond and Baskerville, and contemporary stuff like Sabon and Ms Eaves. heck, even Times New Roman or Georgia do the job pretty well.
>>
>>366348
Thank you.
>>
File: 7ea586f7[1].jpg (143 KB, 600x600)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
I'm trying to make a (moving) effect like this in after effects. Right now I'm just copy/pasting the original comp layer a shitload of times and keyframing each layer smaller and smaller. There HAS to be a faster/less retarded way to do this. How?
>>
>>360825

Here goes:

What program(s) would I need to accomplish the following?

I have an image - a cover of a music single, to be specific - the band name's logo has been designed to resemble the kinds of light bulbs you'd see surrounding a vanity sort of mirror in a dressing room.

I would like random "bulbs" in the logo to flash. Further, can flashes occur to a certain speed to match the beat-per-minute of the song?

Also, for the name of the album which is also written on the cover, I'd like each letter to "flash," one-after-the-other and back, repeating for the length of the song/video.

What would I need to accomplish this? After Effects or something like that? I have Final Cut Pro X, if that helps...
>>
>>366404
you can easily do that in Ae with trapcode sound keys to make it react to the actual song
>https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/stroke_fx/
that one might be insightful since it has some light bulb simulation
>>
>>366405
Thank you very, very kindly Anon. Genuinely appreciate.
>>
Does anyone know of any typewriter style fonts made before the 30's? Or at least, before 1935.
>>
>>366460
Disregard that, found something.
>>
>>366466
Fuck you.
>>
Is there a way to check if a trademark has been used beyond USPTO? I feel like USPTO isn't giving me the full picture of who owns what.
>>
Should I pirate in design or is there a better free alternative?
>>
Why does everyone make their own thread instead of coming here?
>>
>>366527
Because when they come here they don't get answers.
>>
>>364937
>>364938
how do I replicate the dust and straches for a paperback effect like the ones here and in pic related ? whats the best way to do it? didnt see this thread at first so I had to make a separate thread out of it
>>
File: frick.jpg (2.61 MB, 1350x1955)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
>>366553
>find worn paper texture
>place over image
>set blending mode to screen
>invert and adjust levels as necessary
Results will vary depending on the texture you use, and of course you can always use more than one texture paired with layer masks to get more control over the final result.
>>
>>366553
but wouldn't I have to rely on the type of texture too much? is there any way to get this effect with varied controls and customization option like a brush would provide?
>>
>>366554
fuck I meant this >>366558 for you
>>
>>366517
there's no software like adobe's but their business scheme is predatory, just pirate it like any sane human being

>>366527
because tourism

>>366558
yes, those are called distressing brushes
>>
File: UkVilsW[1].png (339 KB, 480x553)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
How do I achieve this effect in photoshop? Or do I need to C4D this?
>>
>>366583
illustrator 3d extrude
>>
>>366558
Brushes for this kind of thing exist. Look for "grunge" and "distress" brushes.
Some people prefer to have less control so they don't risk overdoing it, but if you're confident in yourself, brushes are an option.
>>
File: egg.png (6 KB, 682x306)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>366583
Photoshop (since CS3, I believe) has 3D tools. I've never used them personally, but I'm sure they could be used to make something like this.
If that, for some reason, isn't an option, just draw it out.
>skew shape
>duplicate shape
>nudge bottom shape
>connect corners with lines
Ever draw a cube before?
>>
Honest thoughts on Andy Warhols work?
>>
File: 1557874346222.jpg (90 KB, 616x616)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Guys, I'm dumb

I can't find out how to make the background of this pic alpha while keeping the gradients.

Is there a way to do this or do I have to redraw the background
>>
File: 1558104926701.png (430 KB, 616x616)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
>>366625
In GIMP, create mask for transparent area. then click Colors—Color to Alpha. pick on BG color to set as transparent. adjust transparency threshold as desired.
>>
>>366611
I don't know how it's relevant to GD.
but anyway, as I understand it, the worth of Warhol is that he did what no one did before him: he bridged the gap between pop culture and high art. like in postmodern, it wasn't so much about just style, but about symbols, contexts, and trying to redefine what can be high art.
>>
>>366633
thanks anon, I'll try it
>>
File: 1545391827236.gif (2.19 MB, 450x429)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB GIF
What is the best professional-quality printer for home? The specifics that I'm looking for is a CMYK printer that can print in good quality A3 sized print. Though, I would really prefer if it can print above A3 as this will probably reduce the amount the trips that I have to do.

I'm getting sick of having to go there to a printer service to get some mock-ups printed and coming back to do some work with the mock-ups and repeating the whole process again.

I've found this one, but I'm not entirely sure if this is the good/recommended one. There's quite a lot of printers out there and I'm a little bit confused as there's some that's useful for photo printing, which is something that I don't do.
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Wireless-Professional-Airprint-6228B002/dp/B0095F5BCS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
Is there anywhere I can just get some quick simple Business Card Templates without signing up for some bullshit for InDesign? Thanks guys.
>>
>>366682
try at vecteezy, freepik, graphicburger
>>
>>366683
thanks man
>>
I have about 12 years of experience with photoshop but have barely used illustrator. I recently saw a job listing that I wanted to apply for but it required the "ability to use Illustrator and Photoshop at a practical level". I have one, but not the other.

How hard is it to pick up Illustrator if I'm well versed with Photoshop?
>>
>>366700
It's pretty easy, you should be able to feel pretty comfortable with it after a couple of days practicing
>>
Let's say I have a clean and intricate vector drawing. What is the absolute best-looking way to roughen up the edges, and make it messier and more grimy looking? Like it was scanned from some not-so-well preserved 15th century manuscript or something. Stuff like ink droplets can be added manually, but what about everything else?
>>
>>366773
there's the roughen edges tool, also organic or photocopy brushes and I've seen other actions or plugins made by other designers at creativemarket etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKWza518xc
https://www.wijtzevalkema.co/theroughpack
>>
Is it really bad for a company to completely ripoffa picture of a real life figure or animal and make it their logo? Like a company using an actual pic of a horse or George Washington as their logo. Please respond why this is bad so I can convince my client who's already thinking of doing this
>>
File: nypl_logo_case.jpg (184 KB, 800x400)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>366810
If you only use it as reference its not that bad in fact is pretty common pic related but if you're copying it 100% then you can get in trouble if the photo is owned by someone else.
>>
guys, what are common programms used for webdesign? I'm not talking about the coding part, I mean all that shit that comes with wireframes and prototypes etc.
>>
>>366795
Thanks. Time to look for some free brushes, I guess.
>>
I'm unsure if this is a camera effect or a Photoshop edit, or combination of both, bit how would you go about achieving something like this?
>>
>>366849
my guess is that it's fisheye lens shot. something similar can be achieved with software panorama I guess
>>
>>366849
This is a fisheye lens shot like the poster above said, but you can also achieve something similar with lens correction tools in lightroom - I think that's what they're called. They exist to fix issues like this on normal lenses, which sometimes have distortion around the edges of the picture, but you can also screw with the values to do things like this
>>
Where i can download free 2d game assets? like those that are in itch.io. but i don't want to pay
>>
do any of you guys have expirience with printing tshirts?
which method is the most reliable in terms of quality of the print and lasting longest
>>
>>366878
I'm fond of silk-screening but it takes time since you have to prepare a different frame for each color and has little flaws (which give it character)
vinyl looks fine but can be uncomfortable (shirt might stretch but the print won't)
sublimation looks fine but wears off with time/washes
>>
File: 20190522_140506.png (826 KB, 688x688)
826 KB
826 KB PNG
I want to make a post about marios titlescreens and their graphical design, where should I go?
>>
>>366905
/vg/
>>
Any recommendations for a older computer-style typeface with a strong, un-pixelated look similar to this?
>>
File: tank.jpg (173 KB, 1440x720)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>367005
maybe check out typodermic fonts
>>
>>367005
>computer-style typeface
>rounded edges
makes you think...
>>
>>366827
The problem is my client wants to use a historical figures face as their logo. While there isn't any legal issues with this as the dude is dead for hundreds of years, it's literally a picture of his face ripped from the Internet that is royalty free. There's so many colors incorporated in it it'll fuck their budget. I mean this isn't some company making aunt jemima syrup. They make small household products and the logo looks like absolute shit when small
>>
File: Unknown-11.png (7 KB, 220x200)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>367011
>here's so many colors incorporated in it it'll fuck their budget.
>They make small household products and the logo looks like absolute shit when small
why didn't you mention this? this is a whole different issue. why couldn't you just explain what you said to them?
if they want the face, you could try to make a more minimal version of the portrait if they accept this-look at KFC or this version of Quaker. but you can see that to these brands, these figures are central to their identity.
also, if they are your clients, you should be the designer, not the client. ask them why they want it and what they want, achieve perfect understanding. maybe they just want to look like some other brand, or want traditional feel.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.