[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 12 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next 72 hours. Click here to submit your application.

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: Mental Block.png (325 KB, 1024x538)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
hey /gd/, this isn't a technical question, i'm just curious what you all do when you get writer's block / mental block.

in december i started working on a short artbook / zine project, and now i'm like 60% done with it but can't seem to bring myself to finish it. I try working on it every day but can only last 20 minutes or so before i get mad because i can't think of anything original so i go play video games or watch a movie instead.

is there anything you guys do to help with this? I know in other facets of my life i have ways of mentally tricking myself into doing things i don't want to do. for example if my room / desk is really messy i'll watch youtube videos about cool tech / PC setups or check out /g/'s /battlestations/ threads and that will sort of get me inspired to clean up my own setup. but when it comes to designing, i can't seem to get myself out of this. tips? experiences? whatever you have to share. thanks
>>
>>358635
microdose LSD
>>
>>358640
Fucking loser
>>
>>358635
Consume OP, consume as much as possible. And maintain your skills through practice.
>>
File: 1539580905198.png (2.17 MB, 1920x1080)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB PNG
go through artbooks
browse pinterest
generally, just look at other people's work

i think this thread is more fitting for >>>/ic/
>>
>>358635
I think your inner self is just frustrated that you haven't finished your project already, most people like the quick reward lifestyle.

Playing videogames, watch entertaining movies, jerk off, drink alcohol, doing drugs etc. etc. With all these things, you just have to do little effort to create dopamine, to feel great about yourself (again).
See this project as doing a sketch like you have many in your artbook/zine. You are already on 60% dude, you already got the sketch, outlines done, you are now just coloring my man, after this it's just some touch ups and press save.
You got this!
>>
>>358661
lol mad?
>>
>>358662
consume what? while i agree consuming good media can help me get inspired, ive been playing / watching some great stuff and i haven't really felt truly inspired since i watched Serial Experiments Lain sometime last year.

>>358670
that's a good idea, do you know anywhere people post zines or artbooks?

and i dont know, does /gd/ have to be only technical stuff? i thought /ic/ was just about drawing / traditional art.

>>358687
you are right, but the 60% is more like 13 / 20 pages done with 7 more completely blank or with very very basic ideas...

but thank you! i appreciate the enthusiasm. i will try to get some sleep and wake up refreshed and hopefully ready to finish this shit.
>>
>>358708
I think that's all you need, you already proven yourself with the 13 pages you can do this. All you need is some more motivation from a stranger.

Or you can always make a 15 page book/zine since it's your book/rules, that way it can be done in a few babysteps.
>>
>>358670
Instagram is way better than Pinterest now if you follow the good ones and #s
>>
>>358820
any accounts you'd recc?
>>
bump, I'm also interested
>>
>>358820
I'm also interested, I really don't know how to navigate instagram with the #s.
>>
>>360184
>>359879
>>359879
>>359754
>>358820
>>358813
>>358708
>>358707
>>358687
>>358670
>>358662
>>358661
>>358640
>>358635

Literally just do anything because doing anything is better than doing nothing. That has always been my philosophy. And if you're sure you can't accomplish anything, pull back and devise a plan.

Btw, that pic related is really creative.
>>
>>358635
any sort of block is the result of overstimulation or over intellectualization of a specific object in mind.

you need to focus on experience and senses rather than live predominantly in the virtual thinking reality that you create.

By living experiantially, you will be more open to things as they naturally unfold.

So think less, feel more.
>>
>>358635
dont be a FAG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.