[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: 4clog.png (3.78 MB, 2179x1500)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB PNG
Hey just posting for critique, anyone i guess can use this thread as well.

Had a project to redesign an ad we thought was bad on the subway while keeping it similiar.
>>
lol the one on the subway looks better.

another failed "post your work" thread.
>>
>>357814
existing one lined up the text per step nicely, also the "ON SALE NOW" text doesn't line up, top or bottom, with the other text.

Typically titles like this wouldn't include a period/full stop. Plus the "outline" style of the Penguin logo doesn't hold up so well - the stroke weight at the top and bottom is compromised.

The revised colour choices are nice though, it's trendy at the moment and moves away from cliche "thriller" aesthetic.

I think it's not the best idea to mix the standard type with the ALL CAPS. Take a look at the cover of "TH1RT3EN" (Steve Cavanagh) - the tagline, for example, has 2 different styles. Use this instead of having normal "By" and all caps author name?
>>
>>357855
Thanks for the critique, i feel like i messed a lot up trying to get the Es to align, when they weren't it just looked so close it felt off to me, but i might have forced it too much.

But yea i'm looking at the Thirteen poster and will probably go for to type styles as well so thanks
>>
>>357814
It's sad that you didn't want to use the stairs lines , yeah it's an obvious thing to do but sometime the obvious is for the better your text block seems off because of that.

Else, basically the same things as >>357855

Use some spacing between the Title and the bottom part, it's confusing, use another typo and maybe center it (i f you keep your top part center with no modifications.
>>
>>357814
Honestly I don't remember seeing a single good example of design on /gd/ made by 4channers.
Why should opinion of people with shitty to none skills matter.
>>
First of all, why do morons keep messing this shit up?

BEFORE GOES LEFT
AFTER GOES RIGHT
>>
>>357879
I just couldn't find the source picture without text on it so i ended up mutilating to stairs to get rid of the text lol i could maybe figure something out though

>>357900
This is very true lol i don't take the critique to heart but its nice to get some free critique on these week to week projects
>>
File: tower.jpg (1.04 MB, 1200x1698)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
I am an illustrator who is wanting to have some graphic design pieces in my folio. Would ideas like this be too different from what agencies are looking for? Is the type getting lost with the detail in the background? I would appreciate any feedback.
>>
File: u-done-goofed.jpg (201 KB, 883x680)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>357920
>>357814
Sure is fucked up typography in here, mate.
>>
>>357859
they are not even close to lined up what the hell are you using to make this? You should have a bezier tool.
>>
>>357929
I think we have two more eyes than OP
>>
>>357928
yes it does get a bit too hard to read at the 'lin' part of coastlines
beautiful Illustration but it really doesnt say 'scotland' to me,its far too warm and mediterrainan .
alternate titles:
-Scotland in the Summer
-the coastlines of corsica
maybe play around with the font size between the two lines, at the moment its top heavy, try shrinking the top line down so its the same width, 'scotland' is a strong word and if you want to evoke a sense of place its more important than the 'coastlines' bit.

taking time over these details will show that you consider the type just as important as the image (as any designer should)
>>
File: greys250.png (11 KB, 250x250)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
ok do me
project I just finished, brief was the name (unchangeable) merged with lens flares as a rebrand for a photographer who was kind of known in festival/events circuit but wanted to smarten up and go after more corporate work.
I think its one of my cleanest but as I never really studied graphic design (I did Illustration at university - detailed pencil drawings and digital texture collage) I still feel like im figuring it out more with each job
>>
File: greyswhite.png (9 KB, 307x278)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>358372
ahem
>>
File: blackwhite.png (9 KB, 307x278)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>358373
monotone
>>
File: Dieter-1.jpg (351 KB, 3350x2175)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>>357814

I'd say that

>>357855
>>357879

Offered a lot of good critique that will bring it together. You should post it once you've done what was suggested.

>>358373
I'm liking the direction this is going. I'd like to see more spacing/leading. Maybe add some tracking to "The" and "photography"

----

So far I'm liking the layout, but I'm still trying to find a proper place to put the quote. It's not due until Wednesday, so tear it to shreds.
>>
File: spreadadvice.png (571 KB, 2044x1352)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>358388
"imperative" is just a widow I would fix.

It may be just the way my professors and boss taught me, but I was told to never end a line with a one letter word like "I" or "A". It seems a bit risky to use two letter words, but you can usually let it slide. That's why I highlighted the "I" in the last paragraph.

Everything is very clean and minimal which i'm guessing is the point.

If it were me, however, I would differentiate the intro and pull quotes from the rest of the text.
i.e. I would italicize the intro copy and bump up the size of the pull quote type a pt or two maybe?

Also, please hang the quotations in the Header.

I like this spread though, it's nice and breezy.
I'm not great at minimalism, so I wouldn't be offended if you didn't take some of the more subjective advice.
>>
File: Spread.jpg (69 KB, 1188x720)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>358391
Good catch on the widow. I'm decent at catching them, but always find more with a second set of eyes. I didn't notice the "I" hanging out by himself and I would agree with your peers on ending a line with a single letter.

I'll try italicizing the intro copy. I'm always more inclined to adjusting tint or bringing up size before giving it a tilt.

Those "quotations" are something I need to fix. As you can tell right now, they're inch marks. As you pointed out I do need to hang them.

Point of this assignment is to practice hierarchy, but this is also my style. I'm not much for fluff. I just want to stick to the grid and the basics before I start adding things in.

Thanks for the critique.

Here's one from last weeks assignment. I have some issues with it and I do have the chance to redo it if I'd like.
>>
File: Moon.jpg (498 KB, 792x1224)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
Got sidetracked from assignment. Tell me what needs to be change. Pls
>>
>>358547
I like that, if you want to change something maybe try thinner stroke on top and make the «an exploration» line fill justify with the block above (fill the same space as the strokes block)

Bottom align the bottom left block ( dr. Hans + square +every thing, spacing are fine btw) with N.
Try to horizontal and vertical center your main block (everything that are within the 4dots corners.

Get rid of the wannabe circle under the N of moon.

Why green tho? You should try some reddish/goldish or greyish ( for grey take the lightest you have already in the composition) colors, but it’s more about personal taste here.

You did quite the job for an assignment I guess, all the critics above are details, but I know teachers/instructors like to bodied students with those.
>>
>>358551
I should of mentioned the assignment. It was supposed to be a poster for color theory and how it applies to emotion. One of my emotions was envy which is why the green is the color choice. I changed some elements to relate to space and stray away from the assignment, which is why the green is the color choice. I like the idea of using red/gold and maybe a dark blue.

This isn’t how it’ll look for my assignment, but I did want to polish this before storing it away for the quarter.

Thanks for the critique man.

Also our professors have the class critique each other’s work in small groups and occasionally they’ll step in to guide the critique or question someone’s stance on something. If we want a critique from the professor we usually have to seek them out.
>>
>>358547
>make a grid
>align nothing to it
for what purpose
>>
File: Moon4.jpg (502 KB, 792x1224)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
>>358561
Mind helping me out?
>>
File: MoonGrid.jpg (124 KB, 377x569)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>358561
>>358563
with my modular grid
>>
>>358563
>>358554 here, noice, maybe give some space back to the bottom left block, its structure was good on the original, here it may be a bit to close to each other. Else It’s good, wp anon
>>
Here’s what I’m actually using for the assignment.

Like I said it’s supposed to be abstract and show how certain colors are tied to specific emotions.
>>
>>357814
Just a dude with a couple phone apps that likes bourbon and art and a lot of time on his hands.
>>
Another shitty edit.
>>
>>
File: kesslau.pdf (2 MB, PDF)
2 MB
2 MB PDF
>>358589
really like the typo, the background with the grid doesn't really do it for me tho. I wouldn't necessarily associate purpleish tints with confusion, but i've never thought about certain behavioural or mental states having a certain colour - but now that i think about, i'd rather see confusion as as red, yellow and green blending together, like an indecisive stoplight.
>>
I'm working on a personal motion design project (mostly wanting to experiment and learn new things)
I was wondering for which route i should go for the backgroud? I think i'm going for top right, but i'm hesitating
>>
File: concept.jpg (1.42 MB, 3744x2472)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
I think it's obvious I don't know anything about graphic design, but what can I do to improve this?
>>
File: www.jpg (351 KB, 2777x2000)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Graphic which i want to print on hoodie
>>
File: scumbags on tv.jpg (112 KB, 960x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
I wanted something on the tv at their bar I do stand up comedy.
>>
>>358883
Stop drawing and looking at children you pedo fuck
>>
>>357928
nice, keep going

>>358374
bad font, and its look like some space logo, nothing to do with photography

>>358547
pixeleted background, bad fonts, and its just ugly

>>358883
wtf

>>359345
trash
>>
>>359367
Thanks for the
constructive criticism dude
>>
File: Web 1920 – 1@2x.png (27 KB, 1920x1080)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>357814
Im recreating the Moleskin Actions, but for web/mobile web

because it think its obscene they charge 14 USD per year to use a basic task list that looks fancy.
>>
File: Web 1920 – 1@2x.png (57 KB, 1920x1080)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>359381
This is web 1080, right side is project/bucket lists

I wonder if its good UX if the the tasks can be swiped to be done
>>
>>357814
its fine beyond the obvious alignment mistakes, the issue is its a shit book for shit people so a shit design is what's best

>>358372
lens flare is really nice, fonts are pretty gross tho

>>358563
its quite nice but needs more colour, i'd do something with the background too, the quality is shitty, and the sans serif font I don't like

>>358589
fix the 1st and 2nd line c overlap

>>358791
>>358792
>>358794
picture quality is far too bad and inconsistent

>>359025
you haven't got enough to suggest improvements, try making something more developed then ask for feedback

>>359345
I think it would look better with more saturation

>>359352
try something other than black and white for the font and do shit it up a bit so it doesn't jar with the background as much
>>
>>357851
Not him but why is it better? It doesn’t have style.
>>
>>359345
Yes, more saturation, and maybe don’t use that blue. Use something like grey to represent “coldness” better.
>>
File: 22.png (935 KB, 2777x2000)
935 KB
935 KB PNG
>>359405
>>
>>359419
Try all capitals or all lower case, consider changing the font as well. Adding a period might help too. The text is also kind of corny, I'm sure you can think of something better.
>>
>>359474
Thanks man, for good advices
>>
For a generic company/business one-page site

Aiming for collecting leads and a site agregrattor for small buisness,

Help?
>>
File: GraphicDesignIsMyPassion.jpg (165 KB, 1920x1080)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
do u think i hav talent?
>>
>>359895
Here initial html/css prototype
>>
>>359899
Is this a fucking magic eye?!?!1
>>
flyer for a concert i’m working on
>>
>>359995
almost feels like a book cover or something i'd see on "50 Watts". pretty neato.
>>
File: Dont tell the bride 1.jpg (3.39 MB, 3508x4961)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
I used impact because i couldnt have been arsed looking for a better font. all in all i think its alright for an hours unpaid work. what do ye think?
>>
>>360013
absolutely horrible
>>
>>360014
yeah. . .
>>
>>359995
Thats really good lookin, can you briefly describe how you got those smooth gradients?
>>
>>359995
Very nice retro feel. Where the hell did you get Monarch?

>>360013
Not good, anon
>>
>>360030
thanks! what i did is that i put a black ball on top and applied a really harsh noise, set the opacity to multiply and then masked with a soft brush to create the shadow. does that make sense? sorry english is not my first language.

>>360032
thank you! i bought it :)
>>
>>360030
oh yeah i forgot, afterwards apply a smart blur of maybe 3% to make it less harsh
>>
>>360046
Mad respect for actually buying a typeface! Jacob Wise is so great.
>>
>>360055
yeah he's one of my favorite designers, just bought his latest typeface, skrappa, and it's everything druk wished it was.
>>
>>358791
Just stop. Pirate photoshop. Watch a bunch of tutorials. Then get back to us.
>>
>>360046
Yeah I sorta get the general idea, I'll try it out! thanks!
>>
>>358792
Leonardo is turning in his grave.
>>
>>360013
most fonts are better than impact. consider that in the future
>>
File: file.png (97 KB, 836x563)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
i know it shit i post it for you to see what level i am where do i find fudamentals in logo design/typography etc etc
>>
File: Jeleva Playmat.png (1009 KB, 7200x4200)
1009 KB
1009 KB PNG
I want to make a playmat for my Magic the Gathering deck. I'm unsure if I want to have a template of the card zones (where the deck, graveyard, etc) in my design. I want to fill up more of the negative space while keeping it clean, simple, and focused.
>>
>>360324
You should.
your bg color is like aids for eyes, make it darker if you post update.
>>
File: Jeleva Playmat markings.png (947 KB, 7200x4200)
947 KB
947 KB PNG
>>360327
You were definitely right about the color. hopefully it doesn't look as bad. I thought about adding text (like the card's name or something) but I don't think it would be very appealing. I'm just worried that it will be too simple.
>>
>>359381
>>359384
This is just trello?
>>
don't use full outline for the places where the decks go, just opposing corner triangles maybe if that makes sense, I like the simplicity.
>>
>>360346
forgot to @
>>
>>357814
fuck you for working for feminist propagandists.
>>
>>360140
the sunflower looks out of proportion, thick stem, small petals

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.