[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 4 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: canadiangarbage.jpg (44 KB, 534x712)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
hi /gd/

has anyone here taken the Graphic Design course at George Brown College in Toronto, Ontario?

If so what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Did you learn everything you wanted to? Did you get a job after?

How bout any other GD programs at other Ontario colleges? Any input is appreciated

also if I go at 26 years old am I gonna have no friends and want to kill myself even moreso than usual?
>>
>>355380
i’m 27 and i go to ocad for gd. iirc a prof once told me that george brown was more focused on the technicalities of graphic design and less on the fundamentals of design itself. if its anything like ocad though, the workload by itself will make you want to kill yourself.

as for being social, i’m pretty sure no matter what school you go to for graphic design, youre going to have to deal with class critiques. youre work is going to be front and center for everyone to have an opinion on and youre going to have to talk to everyone about what your intent and the choices you made to achieve your intent. graphic design is visual communication so get used to communicating as soon as you can.
>>
>>355391
word? how do you like OCAD? how old were you when you started/what year are you in now?

do you find it's filled with a bunch of people far younger than you?

>as for being social, i’m pretty sure no matter what school you go to for graphic design, youre going to have to deal with class critiques. youre work is going to be front and center for everyone to have an opinion on and youre going to have to talk to everyone about what your intent and the choices you made to achieve your intent. graphic design is visual communication so get used to communicating as soon as you can.

I think i'm okay with taking critique and stuff, moreso curious if i'm gonna be sticking out like a sore thumb because of my age hahah.
>>
>>355391
oh also what should an application portfolio be like? I don't really have much traditional art done, and any irl sketches that I have are probably 3 years old at this point at least :/
>>
>>355443
i'm in between 2nd and 3rd due to some time i took off. generally people are younger than me but i have met a few people my age. a lot of people in my program seem to take a year off or switch programs and get stuck in school for a few extra years from what i've seen.

>>355444
for ocad's portfolio, i tried to be diverse between photography, motion graphics, and illustration. honestly though, i thought my interview was god awful and i still got in. i remember a friend told me in first year that they met a kid who literally did some shitty light saber thing in after effects and got into integrated media. don't fret too much about your portfolio, just make sure you hit the requirement and it says everything about you that you think it can. a prof said it himself, students don't tend to enter ocad as good designers.

if you really want to impress specifically for graphic design, i would suggest focusing on typography, editorial design, and logo design/branding. ocad specifically prefers to judge things in print format, so like if you can implement something you designed on shirts, stickers, and a bunch of other random shit and photograph that to display a whole brand that you've assembled, i feel like that would get you a lot of brownie points.
>>
>>355507
cool, thanks anon.

I did IMD at algonquin so i've got a small portfolio of web design, photography and motion graphics. i'll think about the brand thing, thanks again dude
>>
bro george brown is trash. Seneca@York's GD program is much better. I've seen what people from george brown make and its absolute garbage.
>>
>>355729
Not gonna lie tho, seneca is pretty trash too.
>>
>>355380
I graduated from the York/Sheridan graphic design program and really enjoyed it. Good profs and facilities, well rounded course options. Started with fundamentals, then in the last couple of years you can focus on what you're most interested in. Unfortunately they're discontinuing the program, but I think York is offering a BDes program now.

A few designers I've worked with graduated from George Brown and they seemed to enjoy their time there. Varying levels of skill though.

Also quite a few of my classmates in uni were in their mid to late 20s so don't worry about it.
>>
>>355729
>I've seen what people from george brown make and its absolute garbage.
examples? i also like the gbc location which is a bit of a factor

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.