[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1920px-Vimlogo.svg.png (183 KB, 1920x1924)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
Is learning Vim worth it? I'll be using LaTeX a lot in the future but besides that my text editor needs will be quite limited. Is using vim as a LaTeX editor a valid choice? Also I wanted to get familiar with vim-style key bindings because many Terminal based programs use them
>>
>>72707131
nigger, your terminal-based programs use hjkl as optional replacements for cursor keys, not full vimtard binds
>>
>>72707168
I know, but people always say that using hjkl is faster and more convenient in the long run so I was curious. Also this key binding shit is secondary
>>
>>72707131
> Is learning Vim worth it?
Yes

Many editors can emulate vim. Being able to overwrite a word or two without using your mouse or backspace is super handy. Dont let vimlets fool you anon.
>>
>>72707131
>I'll be using LaTeX a lot in the future but besides that my text editor needs will be quite limited.
There's always texmacs.
>>
>>72707131
Vim is amazing for TeX. Used it throughout my MSc
>>
you know you could just use a normal IDE right?
>>
I use use vim anymore but I use vim bindings in any software which has them.

At this point, not having them feels like typing with one hand. Yea you can do it buts it's clunky and slow.
>>
Skip to NeoVim directly.
>>
https://castel.dev/post/lecture-notes-1/
I found this a while ago, looks pretty useful
>>
>>72707804
Thanks!
>>
>>72707131
Yes, learning Vim is worth it. I decided to look into it and never looked back. I use Atom with the Vim keybindings, and I agree with the anon above, it feels like trying to type with one hand without the bindings.
>>
>>72707131
Vim is based, pick up a book on learning it if you want to really feel like a wizard.
I think it's called 'typing at the speed of thought' or something like that.
>>
>>72707131
Just stick with texmaker if you're too dumb to learn emacs.
>>
>>72707131
vim is for street shitters.
emacs is god tier.
dont have time to argue that point just to say that Mossad wants you to run vim
>>
>>72707750
Is this something like Spacemacs?
>>
If you want to get assfucked in first place to learn Vim well then its worth it I guess. Learning curve is just very steep. I personally dont use Vim even though I can somewhat use it. But find more pleasure useing some other IDEs in general.
>>
>>72708878
It's really a lot more intuitive than people give it credit for. It's just diffferent. There are reasons it's still around after 40 years of tech advancements.
You quickly start to think Vim. I want to delete three words --> d3w, boom, they're gone.
>>
>>72709005
I have only tried Spacemacs once.
So all I can say is that NeoVim doesn't take a noticeable amount of time to open a text file.

Other than that it's NeoVim with coc.vim plugin.
I strongly recommend it.
>>
>>72707209
you can word delete on any other editor using two keys
>>
1 week of learning for a lifetime of comfort and efficiency
>>
>>72707131
>he doesn't want to flex on VScode niggas
>>
>>72707131
Is a meme.
If you're super advanced and know exactly what you want of your workflow it can be useful, if not just use vscode and be done with it.
Also, vim+latex+msc/phd whatever is just too much to learn at the same time

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.