[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1555965689775.jpg (279 KB, 1279x1290)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
I didn't see one in the catalog so here goes.
My AIO water cooler appears to be chirping.
I thought it was the case fans but I've toggled them a few times to troubleshoot and it definitely seems like it's coming from the hose or radiator.
Is it time to buy a new one or learn to build my own solution?
>>
why is there no do not watch/follow/subscribewhatever on reply button in 4chan x? only thing i found there is a button that disables the watch feature completely but i just want that it does not automatically follow threads that i reply to.
>>
Any tips on making the captcha don't fuck up with my life? I don't know if coincidence but everytime the Firefox updates the captcha becomes impossible to solve for a while.
>>
Someone mentioned a USB to 2.5 inch enclosure that can present ISO stored on it as separate bootable devices and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
Also what's a good SSD for that, write once read many is gonna be my use case so cheap is fine.
>>
What is /g/'s suggested free music player for Android?
I've always used Apollo, but I discovered recently that it doesn't let you reorder playlists, and when checking to see if I needed to update or anything, it seems that it's in fact no longer being worked on.
I checked /mu/'s wiki, but they don't seem to list anything for phones.
>>
>>71839799
Google Play Music
>>
>>71839858

I wanted to ask this. Which is the best version that has that fix? Also, can I somehow turn it into a LTSC thing? Like, install it with all the latest updates and then block the new ones unless I manually install them, or only install security updates.
>>
Do I insert my bluetooth chip into an x16 slot or x1 slot if I'm using it mainly for my wireless controller for PC gaming?
>>
>Authorize Curious Cat to use your account?

>his application will be able to:

>Read Tweets from your timeline.
>See who you follow, and follow new people.
>Update your profile.
>Post Tweets for you.

Will not be able to:

>Access your direct messages.
>See your email address.
>See your Twitter password.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD SOMEONE DO THIS

THEY LITERALLY REQUEST EVERY PERMISSION EXCEPT PROBABLY WHAT TWITTER EXPLICITLY DISALLOWS
>>
>have old laptop from 2009, c2d, 4gb ddr3
>only supports sata-I, 150mb/s
>currently has a wd black 7200rpm hdd in it
will upgrading it to a cheap ssd be noticeable in terms of speed? I'm using it every now and then for basic tasks like browsing and writing python scripts on the couch
>>
>>71840046
Normies just click through that shit.
>>71840062
SSD will always make a huge difference. 2.5's are incredibly cheap now too.
>>
What should I do with all these kittens that my cat made? I don't really need them. Do people buy this kinda thing or should I just shoo them out the door and hope for the best?
>>
>>71840093
Try giving away on craigslist or your region's equivalent. Perhaps see if the is a no-kill shelter in your area.
Also, get your damn cat spayed or neutered.
>>
>>71840113
I thought I didn't need to because she's mostly an inside cat but I guess stuff happened somehow.
>>
When choosing a FQDN for the hosts in my home network that I don't ever want to be connected to the internet, is the best way to buy a domain and use that for the computers that I don't want to be routable through the internet? That way I make sure that the names I use won't ever be made into something that can be accessed online right?
>>
File: Untitled.png (36 KB, 1255x725)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>71836129
i tried but it didnt work

i felt stupid even trying since realistically they know already

i cant imagine every release of the program behaved like this since launch and nobody noticed
>>
File: 2019-07-12 (2).png (21 KB, 978x273)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
is this retarded os a good decision? my use is school with maybe light gaming, i already own a Chromebook but literally nothing else.
>>
So I'm building a from scratch brand new pc and selling my old one. Is it advisable to do a fresh install of windows instead of cloning a drive over to a new one? Also what is the best way to delete all my files on my old drives to sell it?
>>
File: 1555734966079.jpg (270 KB, 535x796)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>71840232
Seems fine, what games did you have in mind though?
>>71840245
If using windows 10 you should be able to transfer now without issue. Best practice is fresh install. ninite is your friend.
As far as deleting the old stuff. You could just do the easy mode "reset this pc" if win10. Or boot some linux distro and low level format.
>>
>>71840263
sprite shit, Minecraft, emulation, niche racing (distance ballistic ng grip redout), the occasional roguelike or dwarf fortress adventure, maybe apex idk how i feel about that one yet.
>>
>>71840263
Thanks anon
>>
>>71840289
You could probably go even cheaper with that list. Some onboard video option perhaps?
>>
File: 16085724.png (180 KB, 485x635)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
4chan x can highlight a post if it contains a certain word.
How can I make it highlight the actual word in the post?
>>
>>71839799
black player
>>
>>71840328
except im also rendering arch drawings and dont want to have to worry. or maybe thats stupid? idk can you rec something, i know very little about this stuff and used logical increments and other babby sites.
>>
File: 1470978400022.jpg (56 KB, 560x423)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>71840398
Rendering with which program?
>>
>>71839652
It's in the menu on the thread watcher.
>>
>>71840442
autodesk suite, im an arch major
>>
>>71840396
There's like five different apps by that name on the store, and the link in the /g/ wiki is dead. The first result in the Play Store is also not free.
Do you know the publisher or have a link or something?
>>
>>71840485
"FifthSource"
>>
File: 1379824522081.jpg (379 KB, 1400x1123)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>71840476
Depends on the renderer I guess, and if you use it. Nvidia is "usually" more popular for renders but I haven't touched autodesk stuff since maya was personal learning edition.
Some quick googling shows it won't matter much for CAD, just a "decent" gpu.
>>
>>71840046
but why do they allow having such permissions? theres no reason for some external botnet having permission to update the profile or post something.
>>
>>71840473
weird.. im sure that i looked in every possible menu but somehow i still missed that.
>>
>>71840498
Yep, that's the one that isn't free.
>>
>>71840392
You can't. But hey, 4chan x is open source so you can implement that feature yourself :^)
>>
>>71840566
Ah, sorry.
But it does let you reorder songs in playlists.
And plays .m3u playlists.
>>
on my phone, my mobile isp blocks posting to 4chan but not viewing it, i think they didnt bloc k the host oe something lol. anyway, is there a way arouns this? im not rooted so idk if i can change the dns. i did on my router easily.
>>
I purchased a kit of 3200MHz RAM and went into the BIOS of my Asus motherboard to overclock them. Stock was 2133MHz and 1.2V so I changed it to 3200MHz and 1.35V which booted fine without issues, but when I check the memory with HWInfo/CPUZ it displays the timings as 16-22-22-53 when it's advertised as 16-18-18-36. Does this also have to be configured manually through the BIOS, and why isn't the stock value 16-18-18-36 as advertised? Is this also considered an overclocked value just like the advertised speed is actually an overclock from the standard 2133MHz?
>>
>>71840543
What if you want to write an app that will read incoming texts to a phone and then post those texts as tweets to a twitter account? I'm sure there are more use cases.
Even if all of them are arguably dumb or unimportant, isn't it ultimately the user's responsibility to know what permissions they're granting the apps? I don't see why the manufacturer should have the responsibility of disallowing apps from requesting those permissions at all.
>>
>>71840583
It's only $3, so I'll keep it in mind, but I'm actually going to try out Google Play Music first. It's already on my phone and I've never actually used it.
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for some learning resources for C? I've taken a basic Java course and a Java course about data structures but need C for my micro-processing class and don't know where to start
>>
>>71839683
4chanpass

>>71839799
vinyl on fsroid

>>71840595
yes. ae you on ryzen2/intel? enable the xmp so you dont have to fuck with the timings. and btw theres about 40 actual ram timings, not just 4 that you need to calculate when setting

>>71840615
i mean dennis ritchie wrote extensively on it so why not read it?
>>
>>71840623
>4chanpass
Isn't it still crypto-only? Buying Bitcoin/Litecoin is such a hassle.
>>
>>71840623
>Are you on Ryzen
Thanks. Yeah, I'm on a 2600. I didn't see any option for XMP (I read somewhere that XMP is Intel only and that AMD had something equivalent called AMP?) so I just altered the speed and voltage which seems to work fine but I guess I'll go into the BIOS again and see if I can find the XMP settings. If I use an automated profile it will set the correct timings for me, right?
>>
>>71840598
just thought that they would think about the average user. it sure isnt some skilled programmer that would do such things. those users barely know how to start the app.
>>
>>71840645
ignore the shill and install the 4chanx extension and configure it properly or the phone app if you are one of those fags.
>>
>>71840645
no, just email them for the paypal link

>>71840673
i cant remember the amd name but yeah just click it, ryzen 2 was so much easier than the fun of ryzen 1
>>
>>71840703
>thought that they would think about the average user
Why should they care about the average user being dumb and granting apps invasive privacy permissions without reading them?
>>
>>71840766
t. unapologetic jew
>>71840598
>What if you want to write an app that will read incoming texts to a phone and then post those texts as tweets to a twitter account?
What does that even mean. Automatic spam and leaking other people's messages to you? Wow sure need that on muh platform, and coming from some shit question and answer website
>>
Should I use a higher cluster size than the default on Windows for NTFS on a 1TB USB external hard drive?
>>
File: index(16).jpg (123 KB, 2000x1000)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>71840751
Thanks for the help. I found the settings under AI Tweaker - > AI overclock tuner where I could change from auto to D.O.C.P. which automatically set it to 3200MHz 16-18-18-36 which is also what CPUZ is now reporting. Glad it went so smoothly after reading about so many people having issues overclocking and reaching advertised speeds with their Ryzen systems.

I'm really grateful for the help and will try to repay it by helping other people in future /sqt/. A bit shocked as well that there are actually helpful people on G and not just raging fanboys and trolls...
>>
>>71840974
Not only do some features like filesystem compression stop working with cluster sizes over 4K, the compatibility with third-party tools and devices is also worse. At that cluster size, NTFS can scale up to 16 TB just fine.
Only for some applications (video editing, SQL Server, video games which consolidate their assets into gigabyte-sized files) as well as volumes larger than that it's recommended to raise the cluster size up to 64K.
At the very least, don't be like that one retard on /g/ who increased their NTFS cluster size all the way to 1 MB and then came to complain how wasteful their filesystem is. There's no sensible use case for that.
>>
File: 1521235281754.jpg (23 KB, 552x436)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I have a TV separately conected to my pc via 20feet long HDMI cable.

Now I want to buy an 5.1 speaker setup for it (Looking at z906 for $180 new). It has Optical audio input. Will that work with my TV (it has output)
>>
>>71841096
Aight thanks.
>>
>>71841177
The optical interface from the TV to your speakers only has enough bandwidth to either transfer uncompressed PCM stereo audio or 5.1/7.1 e.g. compressed with Dolby Digital or DTS.
This is fine if you're using a media center on PC which can just pass such audio tracks (coming from DVD, Blu-ray or compatible media files) directly over HDMI. The TV has to support pass through over optical itself.
If you want to use your speaker system for video games with more than 2 channels, your sound driver has to support Dolby/DTS 5.1 encoding. There's many success and failure stories about that.
>>
File: Captain_King_Approves.jpg (71 KB, 965x724)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>71841298
I'm fine with only Mediacenter stuff (Living in an third world country, so most of my stuff are torrents).

I use both VLC and MPC-HC, both should handle those Audio tracks just fine right? All I need to do is set the Audio source to my TV.

Thanks the quick help!
>>
>>71841008
well thats all g, i used to build professionally. its a soul crushing job.
>>
>>71841618
Even if it doesn't work at first, both VLC and MPC-HC have a "pass-through" or "bitstreaming" option that you just have to enable.
e.g.
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=145489
https://rubenalamina.mx/2014/03/04/bitstreaming-audio-with-media-player-classic-home-cinema/
>>
File: 1548555970523.gif (1.31 MB, 659x660)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB GIF
My mouse takes several agonizing seconds to recover from big lift offs, is this shit normal?
>>
>>71840511
big thank you btw, and checked
>>
>>71839799
Blackplayer is pretty good, you could get an apk of the paid version and use that.
Pulsar is not bad iirc. And google play music is ass don't bother with it.
>>
>>71841879
>google play music is ass don't bother with it
Yeah, I had a look at it. I didn't realize it was primarily a subscription/streaming service.
In hindsight it should've been obvious, being Google Play and all.
>>
File: 1533711841092.png (101 KB, 438x418)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
I can't be the only one on /v/ using a debloated version of Win10 right?
The stupid question is: How do I update that shit manually while still keeping it debloated and free of cortana/ads bullshit?
I disabled the updates entirely 2 years ago. I'm on Win10 version 1703. I only want to update for DXR and the new multithreading scheduler.
Help. I never managed to find anything about this anywhere
>>
>>71841879
Blackplayer works great, however I'm running into an odd issue:
I recently downloaded a shit ton of music from Youtube with youtube-dl and had it try to automatically add the video thumbnails as covers for each file. The album covers for these files are misbehaving in Blackplayer.
>click a song
>it has another song's cover art
>skip forward to a song that didn't come from youtube-dl
>skip forward again, another song with the wrong cover art
>skip back to first song, still has the wrong cover art but now it's different and is what the third song should have had
Any ideas? Is youtube-dl just shit at doing the embedded-cover-art thing? Is there a better program for that, or would Blackplayer be able to sort it out if I just dump all the images right into the folder?
It's not a big deal either way.
>>
Why are Ubuntu repos so old sometimes? qBittorrent is still on 4.0.3. LibreOffice is on an old version too. Why do they not update this?
>>
What are some fun things to do with LaTeX? Currently keeping my diary and recipe book with it. I wanna work with it more but I have no ideas.
>>
>>71842073
Cute
>>
How does exhentai know that i already logged in e-hentai? I thought you cannot access cookies from other domain? Is this what they call SSO?
>>
>>71842718
They're following Debian's "stable" approach of sticking with one set of versions within one release and only backporting security patches to the old versions as feasible, so that everything stays "stable" regarding to features and bugs.

>>71843133
Both sites call out to a common third-party domain to make the association.
There's other ways, such like 4channel.org loading syncframe.html in a hidden iframe from 4chan.org and vice versa to sync threads in the thread watcher.
>>
>>71839627
arch or void?
>>
/tv/ doesn't have a stupid questions thread. Where can I find a good library of 4k movies? I've tried Netflix but the selection is pretty small. Downloading them from torrents makes me worry for my hard drive at the rips at like 60gb
>>
any actual freeware tools that limit bandwidth consumption of specific programs/processes?

pretty much all of the ones ive seen are infected with adware and spyware
>>
Is it safe to build a pc on a wooden floor if you're barefoot and you've cleaned the dust the best you can?
>>
>>71840588
someone recommended this here before. it uses the inbuilt VPN shit to redirect everything so it doesnt need root. also gives you blocklists and shit, so no ads either.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.jak_linux.dns66/
>>
>>71843364
Netflix "4k" is ass. Extremely bitstarved. You don't just shave off 2/3 of you file size and have it look the same. 4k is just something that current transmission mediums and network speeds aren't up to. You can find rips at varying levels of quality in between, but often you're better just getting a good 1080 rip.
>>
>>71843634
What's a good 1080p rip? I normally just grab the official rarbg ones which range from 2-4gb. The resolution is correct but I understand that the bit rate is lower as well as the audio, but the audio isn't that important to me
>>
>>71843389
just manage your autostart and only run whats nessecary

>>71843411
yeah dont worry, static isnt nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be
>>
>>71843670
You can get remuxes, which are actual untouched rips, and they'll be a lot smaller than their 4k counterparts. Generally you can guess based on size how good it'll be and go from there, figure out how much matters to you and how your PC handles scaling.

Also 10bit rips do better per size, so you can cheat a bit there. Another factor is how good the creator is at optimizing their settings for the contents, and how long they spend encoding it. The longer you take, the better it looks per mb, which is why your yiffy grade rips tend to look like ass.
>>
File: 42795315.png (212 KB, 426x396)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>Parents want netflix
>Only have a TV and smartphone
What's the best way for them to watch it?
Something like amazon fire and use their phone as hotspot?
>>
>>71842073
https://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Search msmg
>>
I installed win7 on my mom's laptop not looking at the specs and it's slow as shit

It's a core 2 duo with 4gb ram

Should I just put Linux on it instead?
>>
>>71843781
Thanks, so basically I use msmg on the update isos from Microsoft?
>>
>>71843760
get a rasbpi and put kodi on there with the netflix addon. then install kodi remote app on phone. good and ez
>>
>>71843760
just use a chromecast ( if they have android)
if they dont have wifi at home a hotspot would be the next best thing, just keep the limit on their data-plan in mind

>>71843879
depends, if she is using win-only programms just stick with it. If the laptop is going to be a internet-machiine just use linux
>>
>>71843886
Yeah. Also you should take regular updates, they impact security and stability. The only thing you need to be careful of is upgrades, which shouldn't happen for almost a year and a half after a new version comes out. You can always set a metered connection and check manually if you're paranoid, although that has a tendency to install beta updates.
>>
>>71843934
Yeh she just browses the internet and watches Netflix

What distro should I put on it mint or something
>>
>>71839627
I have to replace a 8GB ram from a prebuilt HP system. Will there be a performance increase if I install 2x4GB RAM instead of 1x8GB RAM like before?
Its 40bucks for the two instead of 30 for the single RAM.
>>
What's the current state of home networking? The last time I bought a WiFi router was 2015.
Is it better to buy an all-in-one router (and install OpenWRT on it), one of those mesh Wi-Fi things (Google Wi-Fi or TP-Link Deco), or a wired router + Ubiquiti AP setup like all the cool kids on reddit have?
>>
>>71844053
just use lubuntu, should work great on a low-spec machine and is pretty user-friendly
>>
>>71844022
thanks man
Honestly since I never had a single problem with this Windows in over 2 years I prefer giving up on ""stability"" and security if it means not having to deal with a computer that randomly turns off while I'm working and being scared shitless of something going wrong at each reboots. But I'll clean and install the features releases and hope they include the most important security patches.
>>
i need two retard-proof ways to auto shutdown a PC. of course theres the old way of scheduled shutdowns but i dont really keep to a schedule

what i want is to be able to set a specific and customizable way to do a countdown that shuts off my PC.

the other being a simple.exe that i can attach to a downloader/torrent client to launch when it finishes to initiate a shutdown countdown (just enough leeway so that the files dont get corrupted if pc shuts down too quickly) when it completes downloading
>>
>>71843262
Manjaro
>>71844057
If the system supports DDR, which it ought to if it's made in the last 15+ years. Though very minimal
>>
So i'm filthy guy who doesn't do ANY backups, what do you guys backup? and where to backup? copying shit to another drive is somewhat scary, what if that drive got fucked? cloud seems better desu
>>
>>71844537
>copying shit to another drive is somewhat scary, what if that drive got fucked?
then you still have the original copy
remember kids: moving shit to an external hdd is not a backup
a backup is a SECOND COPY of data
if you lose data because your backup hdd died, it wasn't a backup in the first place
>>
>>71844291
If your program supports events then you can point it to shutdown.exe.
If your program has an option to "quit when finished" then you could poll if the application is still running and then shutdown if it quit.
You could also poll the filesize of the files downloaded, and if it no longer increases after a certain time you shutdown.
>>
>>71844745
also if the client has an option to move completed downloads to a separate directory, you could watch that for new files
>>
>>71844537
>what do you guys backup?
personal stuff and music torrents from private trackers.
Not backing up movies or games though, they're too large and easy to replace if they get lost.
>>
>>71844291
most torrent clients have an option to run something after completing downloads, you can tell it to run "shutdown /s" (windows) or "poweroff" (linux)
>>
>>71844992
>music torrents from private trackers.

good idea i might do something similar, i thought about backing up osu! (rhythm game with a lot of songs) but realised it was fucking 250gb
>>
File: proxy.lycos.jpg (28 KB, 474x332)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
How much should I pay attention to licenses and code of conducts for personal projects? I take inspiration of a lot of things on github and elsewhere and might eventually make two figures a month with this so I don't want to get sued.
>>
>>71845522
>personal projects
>make two figures a month with this
Pick one.

If you use them commercially, you are better off not violating any licenses.
>>
Should I buy a pair of cheap old Cisco switches to learn or is simulating networks enough to get cert'd
>>
>>71839627
if you overclock to say 4.6 Ghz, that doesnt mean it will stay there right? unless under serious stress for a long amount of time, but what if im just on /g/?
>>
>>71839627
Dear OP,

I had the same thing happen to my AIO and found it pretty annoying.
Just to be on the safe side, I ended up RMAing it back to cooler master (relatively painlessly). The result: a brand new water cooler that still chirps.

As far as I can tell this is normal (even though the guys at CM probably haven't been told about it) and probably nothing to worry about.

Best regards,

Guy that went to the trouble so you don't have to
>>
>>71845608
It depends on your other settings.
Usually clocks stay where they are unless you enable some power saving features that clock down automatically on idle.
>>
>>71845522
Just follow the rules, if it says "Include my name" then do so at the bottom of your readme. Don't be that guy.
>>
>>71839890
latest enterprise is 1903
download that
>>
>>71839978
I guess the size of the card is just pci x1,
use that one
>>
File: 1559399749268.jpg (120 KB, 1080x1208)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>71839627
How can you browse 4chan properly with iphone? Pic because i demand a nice answer
>>
>>71845553
>>71845671
It was more out of laziness than anything, I'm just tinkering until something works and didn't feel like reading through files that require me not to be a hate filled individual before I use part of their code. Thanks, I'll look into understanding these things better.
>>
What software is good for doing 2d animation in games? Specifically UI stuff.

For example, making a sprite that says "well done" that first gets large, then slowly shrinks and fades away.

It seems like after effects is popular, and I could qualify for the $20/month student license, but if there's a competitor, I'd like to pay them instead.
>>
How come every time I try to make a new Twitter account it is almost immediately locked or suspended?
>>
I put my video files on a an external hard drive to free up some space on my SSD. However, I can't copy large files even though I am using exFat. Even if I split the files into 1GB each the first two files copy successfully, the third one doesn't do at all and the fourth one gets corrupted. This only happens with the one file I am trying to copy right now. Other files have worked so far. What am I doing wrong ? Happens both on Linux and Windows.
>>
I lost link on github with soft which helps to install NVidia driver without all bloat things, such as nvidia experience etc.
>>
>>71845990
Just do custom installation and uncheck those?
>>
>>71846020
Not a best solution, anyway that forces installation with geforce experience.
>>
What is delidding?
>>
>>71845932
I don't know if mines was immediate but that happened to me too. Only once out of like four accounts though.

I just saw in my emails that I had accounts with unverified emails I don't remember making, or accounts I made years ago for the user name. But one of them was suspended. I just complained in the form that I didn't even do anything nor log in for 4+ years so what could I have done wrong. They unsuspended the account in like 10 mins.

I assume it's a measure to protect against bots... but, again, I literally did nothing on the account since making it
>>
>>71846048
Taking the lid off your CPU. The actual CPU chip has a lid on it which is the heatspreader. Between the chip and the lid is thermal paste, which is sometimes not that good I think. You delid to improve that, or to do some other fancy shit. You can google it for a more specific and correct answer.
>>
File: 1546090558316.jpg (243 KB, 1400x770)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>71846048
It's the removal of the heat sink directly on the CPU die.
It's mostly done because the thermal compound between the die and the heat sink is pretty bad and replacing it with something better increases thermal conductivity.
>>
File: nvidia.png (206 KB, 886x654)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
>>71846042
>forces installation with geforce experience
Are you sure? I downloaded the driver installer from their website and it's giving me the option to install without it.
>>
>>71839627
breasts
>>
>>71846089
>>71846105
By the way delidding is mostly done on non-soldered CPUs, such as most Intel units from the last six or so years. Soldered CPUs will be far more difficult to delid, and replacing solder will give you no measurable temperature improvement under normal operating conditions, and is only done by extreme overclockers to improve stability at -180°C. Do not, I repeat, do not attempt to delid a soldered CPU. Worst case you could break off part of the actual microchip.
>>
>>71845932
stop using disposable emails just put in your phone number goy
>>
>>71846111
Um, okee-dokee, that was a really stupid.. Thank you!
>>
>>71846167
Not him but if a "disposable email" is verified

maybe he just wasn't verifying the emails
>>
>>71846078
Yeah, I emailed support two days ago, still nothing... Suspended a brand new account within seconds of creation. It doesn't make sense. Some people have been saying that locking accounts and asking for phone numbers is a racket of sorts done on purpose to get people's phone numbers. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that. It's just frustrating that I can't make an account because they keep doing this and there is no reason that I could come up with for why they would think I'm a bot. Also, they could just ask people to solve a captcha, but they resort to phone numbers, which adds credibility to the racket theory. Maybe they don't like my email, or browser, or something.
>>
>>71846182
If you do have a phone number make sure to make a gmail account under it. I would steal all the usernames currently available for gmail that I could ever want if only it didn't require a phone number
>>
On a fresh Windows 10 install what is the best way to get all of your computer's drivers (except gpu) up to date?

Is there some piece of software for this?
>>
File: Untitled.png (35 KB, 1193x778)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>71846182
Not that this helps but I found the email that unsuspended me. I censored everything cause I'm not sure how rare this is and if you can just "social; engineer" your way to the account name to dox me or anything.
>>
I fell for the madvr meme and it's not that good.
>>
File: email.png (54 KB, 1076x590)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>71846630
How long did it take for them to unsuspend it? It's been 2 days so far for me. I emailed them saying how could an account that's done nothing break any rules, and I added that I hadn't logged in for months and so could it have been hacked in the meantime (I mostly put that hacking stuff in to feign computer illiteracy, as I know they actually suspended it within minutes of creation). Twitter seems like a shitty company to me at this point.
>>
If my internship is ansible and puppet what would my job title be if I got it as a full time job?
>>
>>71846752
Like minutes. But from their wording to you it seems you never verified the email.

A lot of sites actually make you lose the username if you don't verify within 24 hours of creation etc.
>>
what was that magic program that re-named your images for you?
>>
File: file.png (36 KB, 493x408)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>71839627
How the piracy on win 10 is going?
Is win 10 as stable as win7 now?
Which one do you recomend: clean install (piracy) or update?

Also I hope it does not slow down so much compared to win7.
>>
>>71846794
Hm, I think I might as well just make a new email and account. I'm thinking they have mail.com flagged for botting. I had one with Protonmail where they locked it a day after, an improvement from after a few minutes or seconds, but they unlocked it when I emailed support without a phone number. I wonder if they have my IP flagged for trying to make multiple accounts, but I have a good reason, which is that they keep automatically locking them. Thanks.
>>
What certs do I have to get in order to be a Network/Sys admin these days ?
A company that that might hire me is using an external company for all IT related tasks but they want to get rid of them and have me as an in house IT guy (the external company charges them 130/hour + whatever hardware/software costs there are). This external company is bleeding them dry and are actually holding all the admin passwords hostage. Nobody from the company has any access to their own servers that are on the premise with an admin account so if this external company decides that they dont want to do business anymore then they can't access their servers on an admin level.
Is MCSE and MSCA still a thing or is it something different now ?
I haven't touched windows server since windows server 2003 so loads of stuff will be different now.
I will also need to learn ESXi but I think that's just Vmware Workstation with some extra bits added (all the servers are virtualized).
No idea how the network is put together at the company but I suspect it might be just simple routing and nothing beyond that.
>>
File: Untitled.png (165 KB, 1488x870)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
Does anyone here use Hydrus? It's an image-tagging program. Shoutouts Hydrus.

But I just realized it stopped fetching "pixiv work" tags at some point. I don't know when, but I was on version 358 when I noticed it just now, so I updated to latest (359) and it still won't fetch the tags.

In my opinion this is extremely shit since I know I fed dozens of pixiv ids into Hydrus expecting it to still fetch "pixiv work" tags. Do you have to do something more to fetch them now?
>>
>>71839627
I have some very large 3d models that I want to load and optimize, but I only have 32GB RAM.
Some of the models exceed this memory limit when I try to load them in Blender (even in headless mode).
Is there any way to do streamed optimization?
E.g. only load parts of the model, optimize, save, clear from ram & repeat this for all polygons?
Doesn't have to be in Blender
>>
>>71845585
Simulating networks is more than enough, the only thing working with the actual switches teaches you is that it takes forever for them to boot.
>>
File: 1560167847340.jpg (135 KB, 794x794)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>71839627
I changed my DNS to an openNIC DNS. now every time I go to a website i haven't visited before i get server unavailable but if i refresh it works fine. i have flushed my dns on my system restarted my PC and this hasn't fixed it. i'd rather not use my isps dns but this is maddening does anyone know whats up or can at least give me the direction i need to figure it out.
>>
>>71846922
If i remember right the dude who makes that has a board on eightchan and likely a subreddit too... and a tumbler and he is pretty responsive to people so if no one here can help I'd look into going directly to hydrus dev.
>>
if i want to leave software running on a home server is there a better alternative to screen?
>>
>>71847001
Cheers, anon. But actually I don't really like him as a person so I was hoping to bum a cheap answer from someone here. But thanks for the patient help anyway
>>
>>71847147
sorry i couldn't be an actually help. I haven't used hydrus in years. just out of curiosity why don't you like the dude? i dunno much about him aside from the one or two interaction i had with him.
>>
>>71847456
I mean don't worry about it. It'd just be inconvenient to bring it up again. Some things aren't an accident, though, so you can't honestly say sorry.

How come you stopped using Hydrus? It seems like a commitment to me
>>
>>71846967
how did you change the dns, router wide? system wide?
>>71847003
tmux or you could just send it to background by doing `command &` then you can close ssh or whatever and it'll keep running.
>>
if my psu doesnt have one of those voltage switch things can i assume it is safe to use in burgerland?
>>
>>71847519
Autism and retardation mostly. that and it just helped me to data hoard way harder. I also wanted to just... bring up my whole collection and bumble though it kind of like an explorer folder. which at the time hydrus didn't handle very well at all. I may honestly give it a try again though i used it in like 2015.
>>
>>71847586
I changed it in the router.
>>
>>71847653
I discovered it like only last year, but I never really started using it until like half a year later. I imported like all my old porn folders the first time I opened it, but then I didn't even preserve the filenames...

I don't really know how to use it very well. You can see in my pic I have some personal tags, to find favorites easier. But Hydrus for me is basically only ripping from pixiv (only pixiv), otherwise I use a twitter downloader addon in Chrome for useful twitter filenames, then I sort by filename.

I only have 4gb of ram, so Hydrus is usually frozen for me. When doing anything with it, it will be frozen for minutes. It sucks. But I can't imagine using Windows folders instead.

I don't really have complaints with Hydrus (besides my now discovering it doesn't rip "pixiv work" IDs anymore). I just don't like the developer. I think I can have faith in his work as a dev, but not want him as a person to win...
>>
What's a disadvantage of using a lower PCI slot for a GPU? Slower uh, bandwidth right or some such anyway
>>
>>71847670
does it happen on every device or just one? Maybe try to pick a different server closer to reduce latency? Add a second/third openNIC server as a backup(s) if router supports it as well, they are free and possibly being strained of resources.
>>
File: frrr.png (19 KB, 579x192)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
I bought a laptop that came with windows 10, but I don't like it and want to install windows 7, but it's not compatible. Which means I can't find some drivers, like the chipset one. I managed to find the audio and wifi drivers, and changed the intel setup to make it work. But there are still some drivers missing and the nvidia setup doesn't work, even though it is available for windows 7.
Do you think the wrong chipset driver is stopping nvidia from installing? How do I know which drivers are missing?
My processor is a core i5 8250u.
>>
>>71847799
Sorry for the non-answer but you know W7 support is ending in like less than six months, right. I feel like the downtime between now and then is like irrelevant.
>>
>>71847711
>Hydrus for me is basically only ripping from pixiv

Have you ever given this a try?
https://github.com/Nandaka/PixivUtil2/releases

>I just don't like the developer. I think I can have faith in his work as a dev, but not want him as a person to win...

Yeah, definitely.
>>
>>71847799
Usually in OP there are links, but this OP is an idiot.

Read these on how to patch win7 for new processors/motherboards
https://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
https://pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
>>
>>71847760
It seemed to happen mostly on the two windows pc hooked up via Ethernet. the linux laptops seems to resolve just fine.
>>
>>71847854
Yeah I actually use PixivUtil2 to generate webms from pixiv "ugiora", but it's such a pain, since I have no way to know an account even produces ugiora unless I manually check. And I use it so infrequently that it's outdated and I have to update. Then my config file is probably broken.

It's nice, though. I actually used it exclusively for months before Hydrus offered ripping from pixiv out of the box. I prefer PixivUtil2's filenames over the way Hydrus handles it, since "pixiv work" names pages starting from "1", where pixiv itself starts from 0 (which PixivUtil2 displays honestly).
>>
Where does 4chan X store settings?
>>
>>71839627
So yeah, I can now confirm it, everytime Firefox updates the captcha stop working for me, the way I found to "fix it" was to enable the Scroll Anchoring, I DON'T KNOW WHY, but it works for me, any ideas on how to fix that? Though I know, at least so far that a couple of weeks later I can change back to disable it but it still ruin my life, sasuga Firefox never fails to do that.
>>
>>71847820
I know, but I still want it

>>71847863
Thank you
>>
>>71847881
Try to traceroute or run a DNS latency test on the dns server you use from opennic, see if there are issues. if it only happened after switching to opennic, try another 3rd party dns and not your isps, like 1.1.1.1 and see if issue keeps happening, if not you know its the specific server, if it's 3rd party in general could be a router timeout issue or something.

>>71847961
when you export settings, it's exporting it from a blob, so it probably generates the settings as a blob and saves it wherever your browser stores extensions/extensions data. you don't need to see it to export or import data though you can do that from it directly.

>>71848074
good luck
>>
Is it a bad idea to invite a random cat to enter my home if it walks up to my front door on its own?
>>
>>71848172
No, it just means you now have a pet cat.
>>>/an/3073637
>>
Today I experienced a blue screen on my windows 10 PC for the first time. It wasn't able to boot correctly, so I went to bios and saw that the SSD is not set up as the first boot option anymore - I changed the order and everything worked fine.

Later this day, I was AFK and when I returned I got another error - a black screen saying boot mgr is missing. Tried CTRL + ALT + DEL, but it restarted and showed the same error. I turned the PC off manually, wanting to restart it again and go into BIOS, but after turning it off, it turned on again by itself a few seconds later, and booted correctly this time.

Now everything is working fine, but I have no clue what is happening and will it happen again. Any ideas? I also don't understand how it managed to turn itself on and boot normally after the second error, wtf. Should I be worried?
>>
>>71840046

not even kidding, dead twitter accounts that have gone years without posting anything start posting random ads and if they get away with it for a couple of weeks, they start becoming propaganda accounts.

This sounds like conspiracy theory bullshit but I have a friend who had this happen to her exactly, she had to talk to twitter and get control of her account back from someone posting pro-refugee and pro-vegan posts several times a day on loop. Some of them had a couple thousand RT's too, it was sus as fuck on twitter's behalf, and for some reason they sent an apology letter to her and terminated the account.
>>
>>71840127

if your cat isn't super obese, it's an outdoor cat and you just don't know it. especially if you live in a large/old house.
>>
>>71848413
it's changing the boot because your ssd is disconnecting and your system is not recognizing it, even if only for a few seconds. make sure psu/cables are properly connected and have no issues, otherwise your ssd could be dying.
>>
>>71839627
Unscrew the radiator from the case and move it around relative to the pump to get the trapped air bubbles out. That usually fixes AIO noise.
>>
>>71848498
Ok, will do, thanks.
>>
>>71839683
4chanx with java captcha. If you're using a privacy oriented browser then normal captchas will be excessive as you look like a bot to them. To get around this use a useragent spoofing addon like User-Agent Switcher
>>
>>71839627
Please tell me this is hetai.
>>
Best way to remotely turn in pc?
>>
>>71848632
There's only two ways.
Wake on lan
Or some schway rube goldberg looking rig where you send a message to a phone which boils a kettle which makes a bowling ball fall onto your start button (alternatively just have it send a signal to start it)
>>
>>71848615
The artist name is Strangestone
He draws cute titty monsters
>>
File: lisp.jpg (52 KB, 320x240)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Why do Lisp and its dialects still have "define" and similar stuff?
Theoretically speaking, why not use "let" for such things like Haskell does?
>>
>>71848093
I got my DNS issues mostly fixed. i switched the DNS off the router (I have boomers on the network so this is simpler then faffing with this a day) and i have the same DNS on my personal PC. it seems to be resolving just fine now. I really need to buy a new router this a shit ISP one that doesn't even have the ability to go into bridge mode. at least without fucking with the firmware a bit. thanks for you help though!
>>
>>71848866
I'm not sure what you mean
sure you could change a file from
(define a ...)
(define b ...)
(do-stuff)

to
(let
((a ...)
(b ...))
(do-stuff))

but why would you
>>
>>71848943
that's exactly what I mean.
Theoretically speaking, isn't "let" the only thing you need to define anything you want?
>>
>>71848988
sure, but why stop there?
lambda is all you need
((lamdba (a b) (do-stuff)) definition-a definition b)
>>
How high of an IQ do I need to pass calculus?
>>
>>71849281
Enough to know that you shouldn't be asking that here in 4chan.
>>
On the grub menu keys repeat too quickly to select anything. I checked on the command line and a quick keypress results in like 40 characters

How2fix
>>
So my cat knocked over a candle and spilled wax into my psu. It looks like it mainly got on the fan and heatsinks but there is a little on the board. Is my shit gonna be fucked?
>>
shill me a good tablet for reading comics. I want to:
>be light as possible (gonna use it from bed)
>have a good screen
>good overall build quality
budget doesn't matter
>>
>>71849579
how the fuck does that happen? burning scented candles inside your case? I dunno it might be fine wax shouldn't conduct electricity. unless it has like metal sparkles in it.
>>
I've got an old computer lying around. Are there any general resources detailing how to turn it into a router / server?
>>
>>71849831
we usually have a /hsg/ thread up, but lately, the usual OP isn't here and hasn't been active. check https://hsg.shortlink.club/doku.php?id=op_template which has some resources on the bottom. alternatively, post a new thread with this template, then ask for help/suggestions in the thread.

depending on what computer it is, might not be worth it to run say like a p4 with 2gb of ram instead of getting a small SBC or newer used old desktop with better performance & less power usage.
>>
>>71849791
Nah the candle was set behind the pc on my desk and when it tipped over the wax splashed onto the back, entering the grate on the psu.
>>
UPS batteries died this morning.
Nothing exploded they just stopped working and the battery beep started.
APC dosent sell the batteries any longer and they want to take my entire unit and give me a 10% coupon off my next purchase.
I dont really have the budget to spend 800+ to buy one that is of the same features/wattage that i have now.
The batteries are on amazon and the seller has positive feedback going back years.
Should buying them third party be ok?
Im already out of warrenty by atleast 3 fold so this isnt a concern. I just dont want to have a bomb waiting to go off
This is for home use
>>
i want to move everything i have to a new email address.
i have sbcglobal right now i want a yahoo one.
i want everything that is on sbcglobals like contacts and old mail on the yahoo and i will tell everyone to send me via yahoo.

what is the easiest way to go about doing this? I don't have outlook. The mail settings doesn't have automatic mail forwarding support for that email.
>>
>>71850342
if their webmail/client doesn't have automatic mail fowarding support, setup a client that does. alternatively, you can add a regular email address in yahoo to receive that address in your yahoo mailbox, and then can reply from your yahoo email and tell them this is your new email address. https://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-Extra-Email-on-Your-Yahoo-Account and yahoo might even allow you to setup automated responses on the old email.
>>
>>71850342
Download thunderbird and pull everything in to one inbox.
>>
>>71850486
>>71850425
Gotcha. The thing is my mail provider was bought out by ATT and their service is getting worse. Like the webserver keeps going down. I think it's their way of saying move on.

Once i get everything on thunderbird how do i put it on the new yahoo email so that everything will show on the online client. It's kinda important that i am able to the yahoo mail website because i am not allowed to install new shit at work.
>>
>>71850728
You wouldnt
Install the standalone version on to a usb drive and you wont have to touch anything on the pc you plug it in too
>>
>>71850728
I gave you a link in my previous post >>71850425
on how to add a second email address in yahoo. you follow those instructions on that wikihow link, you can add any pop email address to yahoo, but it will only show future emails from that account, not old. but if you need emails for work, they should allow you to use a fucking email client, tell your boss to allow you to install an email client. regardless, the yahoo account will sync the old email once you follow the link, and NEW emails will display in yahoo from that old account. but like >>71850760
said, you can't get old emails. use a standalone version of thunderbird on a usb drive https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable then you can use that with both old email and yahoo from thunderbird.
>>
>>71850342
I can't help you but why did you choose yahoo?
>>
>>71851064
already had an account but i am willing to do a new one if it will help. it's not that i can't use an email client its just the tech support has to install it and the guy takes like a month to respond to an email.

also that wikihow doesn't work because my setting menu doesn't look anything like that.

im at home now and i have thunderbird and i am downloading emails i have 4.5k so far
>>
>>71846922
Bumping this, though I doubt I'll respond right away if anyone helps me, sorry.

It's really bad. I just searched "r-18" and "-pixiv work*" to check the damage and it's 2,200 images since the past six days, across 59 artists. I have to manually find the pixiv member id of every one of them, and redo it AFTER fixing it... thanks to anyone for helping if they do/ can.
>>
File: Oled-in-action.jpg (58 KB, 325x340)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Maybe you guys can find it, but about a year a go I was looking into GPIO LED screens, and I found one I really liked, but it seems lost to time. It was a square (I think with rounded corners) screen with pixelated text, and a blue board for the connections, the text was also blue. When I found it it was around 6-7 US Dollars, closest thing to it I can find is pic related, but as far as I can remember, the one I'm looking for could not change colors, and the text was more pixelated, One thing I do for sure remember is that most pictures with it displayed most of the characters it could print (Alphabet, numbers, brackets, parenthesis and such)
>>
>>71841760
You mean after picking the mouse up and putting back down? No, that's not normal.
>>
So my house got hit by lightning and my comp won't turn on. It reaches the point we're it's about to get to bios but then keeps resting on about 2 second intervals. I've tried turning it on with minimum parts and it won't. Only thing making any sound is the psu clicks during the restart. So my guess is Mobo or psu but I'm unsure. Man I had a good surge protector and everything guess it doesn't matter when the house takes a direct hit.
>>
File: 2674-15.jpg (193 KB, 970x728)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>71851252
I dunno, try shopping the big selection on adafruit or aliexpress.
>>
>>71851117
well i don't have yahoo but i know gmail for a fact allows you to import other accounts, i have a hotmail account inside gmail. the interface probably changed for yahoo but if you look around in settings it should be there in yahoo, i don't see why they'd remove the feature. regardless, thunderbird portable will allow you to download all old emails and use yahoo as well. i can't help with yahoo further as i don't have an email and i'm not making one just to guide you through it.
>>
File: 1560898738653.jpg (31 KB, 600x479)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
What's the best site/torrent site for torrented games, I haven't torrenting in forever and I used to use skidrow since it worked fined but not sure anymore. Any recommendations
>>
>>71843628
thanks. test post
>>
>>71851390
desu idk anymore. gazelles the best private one but public idk. for ps4 i think pkg links is good but its not a tracker, just mega links

>>71851292
just house insurance it. new pc and you can quote $4k and theyll pay

>>71850336
theyre just lead batteries, nothing amazingly hard to reproduce
>>
>>71851382
i tried to check out gmail but they wanted my phone number. i think all the email providers do these days it's BS.

but you're saying i will get all my old messages on on the mail.google.com website?
>>
>>71851536
no, no webmail client that is not your old email account will give you old emails. only using a client like thunderbird where you can download emails will you get all your old emails. what i am saying about gmail is that i know you can import another email address and use it to get new emails/respond as it from gmail, since you said you couldn't find the setting to import an email address in yahoo.

to keep it simple:
if you want all your old emails, you need a client like thunderbird, add new yahoo account as well, use portable version on usb drive for work

if you want to use a web client you will not get your old emails, but you can link your old account to gmail (i'm sure you can with yahoo but you said you can't find the settings) and with that you will be able to see NEW messages on the web client.

those are your two options, we can't help you any further. you need someone in person who can help you further as it seems you're not too familiar with this type of thing. good luck.
>>
>>71839627
how do you use websockets in a non-meme way? shit's literally so lackluster you end up implementing HTTP all over again
>>
>>71851618
alright thanks man. i will make a gmail going forward and thunderbird to save the old ones. Damn shame though because i have used that sbc email account for like 15 years or some shit
>>
>>71839708
i've done something like that with ez2boot for recovery tools, etc
>>
Is there a way to convert vp9 webm to vp8 webm without losing quality in a program with GUI like avidemux or mkvtoolnix? I searched online but I can't find any solution.
>>
>>71851536
>i tried to check out gmail but they wanted my phone number. i think all the email providers do these days it's BS.

It is BS but gmail is the one true email

if you dont secure your first choice for gmail, you just end up choosing a less ideal one some time later
>>
>>71851470
>theyre just lead batteries, nothing amazingly hard to reproduce
Then why these niggas want $600 for 4 batteries and this other nigga wants $160 for the same 4?
>>
I'm searching for a specific OpenGL (?) tutorial.
I remember it had two good things about it:
1) it explained even the concept of SIMD (it had an image too)
2) had images that you could manipulate by writing code in a text box near them so you could experiment and see the result on the fly

I need a link to such tutorial if possible
>>
>>71851646
thunderbird works for sending emails, and you could use a client like k9 mail on android to use your old email on android (think of it for thunderbird for android, not sure iOS equivalent) to avoid using a new email all together, as you'd have mobile access, then thunderbird on home computer, and thunderbird (usb) for work/public computers. this way you can continue using your old email. but if you setup gmail go to settings -> accounts and import, and look for 'check mail from other accounts' and hit 'add a mail account'

direct link: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/accounts

that'll let you import your old account into gmail, and you'll be able to read/respond from it in gmail web interface. though i have a feeling if you get thunderbird to work, get a mobile version on phone, and a usb version, it'd be better for you than switching, regardless, good luck.
>>
File: 1535289165570.png (8 KB, 745x71)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>71851646
>>71851766
also, gmail may actually let you import your old messages as well, i just realized. thats in the same settings link i provided >>71851766 where you add the account. good luck.
>>
>>71851719
free meerkat. the place i used to work was $50/ battery

>>71851743
no idea but i have a tutoeial on vulkan thats pretty exhaustive
>>
>>71851714
If you set the bitrate to high enough it should be possible.
>>
>>71851953
is there any way to do it without adjusting the bitrate as just an instant conversion?
>>
File: 1434691508547.jpg (1.45 MB, 1333x1945)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
Upgraded my shit to zen2 and reinstalled windows. For some reason my computer won't shut down all the way. Video out from my GPU ends but the lights on the desktop and the fans still spin. I've upgraded my drivers and turned off Windows Fast Boot which is the most common reason recommendation found on Google. Still nothing. Any other way I can diagnose what is the problem here?
>>
File: wow.jpg (37 KB, 630x419)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>71840442
>>
>>71851831
>no idea but i have a tutoeial on vulkan thats pretty exhaustive
I remember that the tutorial i'm looking for had specific text fields where you could input code and see the result, at least for the colors
>>
the guys at /hpg/ are not answering so I'll ask here.

If I want to use decent headphones for console gaming, should I buy one of those dolby headphones decoders like the mixamp, or would a standard DAC be enough?
>>
My GPU only had 1 HDMI output slot, how do I connect a second monitor?
>>
File: dphdmi4k-01_1_3.jpg (33 KB, 700x700)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>71852064
no, it makes no difference t. runs m50x and cloud stinger through a ps4 controller

>>71852070
with a different output? wtf sort of question is this
>>
most important one or two components for a webserver? using older hardware but don't want it to be total ass.
i'm retarded so i dont know how to google this desu
>>
>>71851969
no, they're not compatible
>>
>>71839627

why .h and .c?
why not 1 file?
why not 1 file for everything in a project?
1 single file with a special string code for a txt editor or ide that designates page start and page finish. Keybind. ability to tab each "page" or goto "page". All actually 1 file that kills 99% of include and inheritance bs.
import/export functions.
>>
>>71852145
you can do that
but it's a dumb idea
try it and find out!
>>
>>71852137
depends what its for. ram and storage are most important but cpu as well if its a gaming server

>>71852145
you can if you want. your tutorial shoukd tell you why
>>
>>71852142
is there a way to convert mkv to webm without transcoding?
>>
>>71852164
mostly html, maybe a static/php blog. also potentially email.
>>
>>71852171
yes, if the source mkv contains webm-compatible streams
in fact, you can convert them with a single flag, because webm is just a constrained mkv
>>
>>71852181
how do I do this and make a vp8 webm? I don't see the option to change from vp9 to vp8 on mkvtoolnix
>>
>>71852137
>>71852164
>>71852177
if it's mostly static, bandwidth and cpu. you need to be able to process requests, multiple threads from nginx/apache2 and not be bogged down from slow internet. ssd/hdd/ram wont really make a difference here, as long as it's enough. you can use nginx to cache and gzip the static files to help lesson strain/resources.

what are the 'server' specs? and whats the estimated traffic/user count?
>>
>>71852224
mkvtoolnix doesn't transcode video
>>
>>71852177
if its static just host it on github or use one of those $1/year services. youll never be worth hosting your own. Id suggest against hosting email, its simply not viable anymore.

>>71852248
bro didnt even specify until after
>>
>>71852177
You'll need around 256mb ram and 6 gigs of storage, not counting whatever media you want to serve.
>>
>>71851254
Yes, that's what I mean. I dunno if it could be defective, the mouse works perfectly otherwise and people online do mention mice taking a couple seconds to recover from lift off sometimes as if it were a normal thing, for whatever reason the 5 dollar mice I have been using up to this point never had any similar problems.
>>
>>71839627
is a gtx 1060 3gb and a 3.33 ghz Xeon 6-core x5680 enough to run ps2 in 4k
>>
>>71852334
ps2 emulation? thats a weird cpu choice
>>
>>71852334
Emulators are very CPU heavy, and the playstation 2 can't output anywhere near that resolution so who cares if it has to be upscaled. It's probably fine.
>>
>>71852253
what about with another program? I could sworn I read that somebody said it was possible.
>>
File: 1467934890103.jpg (749 KB, 2000x3000)
749 KB
749 KB JPG
>>71845617
Thanks!
>>71846836
Win 10 LTSC, clean install. runs well.
>>
>>71852248
a shitty 09 mac mini; 2ghz core 2 duo with 1.5 gb ram, 5400rpm hdd. probably never going to be terribly populated, just a side project for fun.

>>71852274
this is more for experimenting and fuckery; not so much for practical use. will keep this in mind in the future tho.

also, yeh, i'm retarded, sorry
>>
>>71852397
you can't losslessly convert vp9 to vp8 with any program, it doesn't make sense
>>
>>71852503
that's more than enough for a personal project, even basic traffic daily. while i'd recommend a linux distro, install a stuff for a mamp/lamp setup (nginx/apache mysql/mongdb php) and follow some guides to setup a basic site to serve, or setup an existing project like your own imageboard or whatever and go from there. it'll be perfect for learning, i'd wager you could easily run an imageboard for 50-100 people on that thing consistently, if not more. my vps serves more traffic than that and is 2core/2gb.
>>
I deleted a 55gb video file two days ago but I don't seem to've gained any space.

Am I retarded? How do I fuck up that badly?
>>
>>71852602
i was already planning on linux; i have xubuntu installed now but i was going to switch over to something else momentarily, prolly centos or something else if there's something more widely used.
also, sick, thanks. currently running off wifi but i'll likely switch over to ethernet once i start setting shit up properly.
>>
>>71852649
is it still in your trashcan? lol

>>71852650
np. I run debian on everything, so I'm biased, but centos is also a great server distro, and if you can, make it have a dedicated lan ip, setup ssh and key auth. and yeah ethernet will help stabilize the connections/speed.
>>
>>71852693
>is it still in your trashcan? lol
No I like specifically

It was a twitch VOD from a guy named "aurateur" who did a 24 hour stream. I just downloaded it entirely cause I'm slightly retarded.

I put it in a folder on my desktop, and I vividly remember going into the folder, deleting the video. Then deleting the video from the recycling bin when it was the only thing in there.

My current hard drive space is "50.6GB free of 931GB" I was expecting it to just shoot up 50GB but it fucking didn't.
>>
How to set Tomorrow as default style with 4chanX?
>>
>>71852767
you only have to chnge it on 2 boards and your g
>>
>>71852767
install oneechan for more themeing and waifus on your 4chins https://github.com/KevinParnell/OneeChan
>>
Redbull me on Android TV Boxes. Is it worth getting one? If so, which? Can they handle muh ten bit animu?
>>
hej hej /g/ anons

im currently moving from my comfy t410 to a w520. I have one question: ive been using i3 on my t410 to conserve resources but with my upgrade to the w520 I want to move to a new de/wm do anons have any suggestions?
>>
>>71853006
>Android TV Boxes
The really cheap ones are meh at best, they only handle playing any video at all because they have hardware decoders for it
Sheild TVs and maybe the MI Box are good ones but the shield is spendy

>Can they handle muh ten bit animu?
H265 10Bit: yes
H264 10bit: no
10bit H264 is the aborted fetus of the release community, nothing really likes playing it other than a PC since it's not supported in hardware decoders.
>>
How do I know Im buying 7200rpm hdd? Whats the best one to buy?
>>
>>71853289
adding to this. Are oem ones risky to buy?
>>
File: 11xav7z4wlw11.jpg (148 KB, 961x1200)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>71853289
>>71853301
They are fine if you buy from any major retailer. The return policies protect the customer pretty well.
>>
>>71853289
SSD is getting cheap these days but WD makes reliable HDDs. Do you want internal or external?
>>
>>71853370
internal
>>
>>71853301
The risky hard drive is the one you don't have backed up.
>>
File: WD Blue 1TB.png (99 KB, 333x480)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>71853377
Pic related should be fine.
>>
File: CrEG1f8WEAEQav0.png (273 KB, 888x888)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
Am I being paranoid for not backing up anything to the (((cloud)))?
I feel like even jpg's of actresses, wallpapers and even basic patterns will eventually get fucked.
t. compulsive hoarder
>>
File: qi8bbPZ.jpg (918 KB, 2308x3000)
918 KB
918 KB JPG
>>71853405
Completely adult actresses I mean. Not even nude. Just paparazzi stuff.
>>
File: WD Blue 500GB SSD.png (68 KB, 480x320)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>71853377
>>71853396
If 500GB is enough and you can spare $20 then I would prefer pic related. It's faster and silent.
>>
>>71853405
I put my veracrypt rescue iso or whatever, and my KeePassXC database on the cloud. Otherwise I use mega, but I realize mega was sold to chinks a long time ago, and the original owner supposedly went on record saying he doesn't trust it anymore, though people just say that without providing a source.

I personally wouldn't put anything on the cloud without considering it public. Though I've seen a sort of encryption thing someone used for google drive. I assume it behaves like when I access my KeePassXC database directly from the cloud.
>>
>>71853436
I still dont trust it. Tape drives, floppies, chiseling stone 1's and 0's 4lyfe
>>
>>71853234
>10bit H264 is the aborted fetus of the release community, nothing really likes playing it other than a PC since it's not supported in hardware decoders.
I don't know why the anime encoders latched onto it. Fuck Daiz.
>>
How would I spoof my phone so that when I log into an account, the email says I'm using a completely different phone?
>>
>>71853436
>I realize mega was sold to chinks a long time ago, and the original owner supposedly went on record saying he doesn't trust it anymore, though people just say that without providing a source.
It's probably fine to just share pirated files on, but nothing person or important.
>>
>>71853461
When you say you "still don't trust it" what do you mean? I mentioned a KeePassXC database, and encryption otherwise that I would assume behaves the same way.

Only speaking for my KeePassXC database, you put the database on google drive (for example). No one can open it without KeePass or one of its forks, plus the password. Google offers a sync functionality I've never tried, but I use an android app to access it and make changes to it on the fly. I don't understand how google could possibly intercept that in any way.

The encryption I've seen probably behaves the same way.

>>71853499
>It's probably fine to just share pirated files on, but nothing person or important.
Actually if anything I would think pirated media can be easily searched for using keywords. I don't know what you mean by that statement. Pirated content doesn't even make the conversation as being something you want to keep private.
>>
Will liquid cooling keep the heat down in my apartment better than a heatsink?
>>
>>71853529
>Pirated content doesn't even make the conversation as being something you want to keep private
Please don't bully me, I just wanted to say words.
>>
>>71853405
I just buy more external drives when I want more space.
>>
>>71853484
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9330975
TL;DR: 10-bit allows them to avoid using higher bandwidth (bigger files) to avoid "banding."
>>
>>71853577
Yeah but the space saved by using 10 bit is minimal and not worth the added encode time and decoding complexity.
>>
>>71853577
I think the original dude was just saying "H264" 10-bit was unsupported, but "H265" 10-bit was fine. It didn't seem to be a criticism of 10-bit itself.
>>
>>71846922
bumping this again

i dont know how hydrus can do this to me

im so disappointed
>>
>>71853601
How much space does it save?
>>
>>71853820
Honestly, like maybe a few MB per file at best. It probably varies between resolution, bitrate, source material ect., but it's not much at all.
>>
>>71853601
i'd use 10-bit even if the files were slightly bigger, fuck banding
>>
>>71853006
>>71853234
HTPCs are a rabbit hole. On the low end you just make a media player than can play any videos, and you can probably manage repurposing any pc made in the last 7 years.

On the high end you can go well beyond modern smart tvs with advanced upscalers and interpolaters so even your old DVDs look good at 4K. At that point quad cores and dedicated graphics cards become necessary.
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVP
https://anime.my/tutorials/madvr/

Personally I think it makes more sense to just run an HDMI cable to your pc. Hell get a wire snake and some wall plates. You can also get an IR receiver, or use your phone as a remote through your home network.

I'm not even going to touch into home media servers, transcoding, or NAS.
>>
>>71853542
No, that is not how heat works.
Its called a radiator for a reason.
>>
>>71853289
Get a WD Blue HDD, problem solved.
>>
Hey /s/ i miss school but im too lazy to practice in my own any advise?
>>
>>71853542
did you know that liquid coolers still use a heatsink and fan?
the liquid part is mainly just to move heat from the cpu into the heatsink more effectively (rather than staying hottest where the cpu is, the liquid carries the heat through more of the heatsink, spreading things out)
>>
This is a pretty stupid question but here I go.

My gf recently got scammed by a copy of a famous boot company's website. I was able to rollback the charge to her card after forwarding information to the bank that this particular website domain was only registered on April, through a Panama company and was being hosted in China. But then it got new thinking: how good is the security of these types of low-effort scans? I thought about simply DoSing the thing, but that would be too light. Anyone knows if a scrub like me, who only knows basic bash and ssh, would be able to fuck things up with kali? I'm not particularly concerned about legal repercussions of attacking scammers based in Malaysia, so the only question is how much I'd need to learn to be a nuisance to them?
>>
Currently using a TV as my monitor until a new one arrives.
Is it worth it to downsample a 1080p output into a 1360p tv monitor? Will it actually look any better?
>>
File: 1561924236378.gif (3.69 MB, 400x324)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB GIF
When upgrading BIOS do I need to have my USB completely empty except for the new BIOS file?
>>
>>71854132
just set the res to 1360p. are your sure its 1360p?

>>71854111
dont dos. its super illegal, it doesnt mattr theyre in malaysia. also panama is jus the whois, everyone does it
>>
>>71854167
Yeah the tv is 1360 x 786
And to clarify I mean 1920 x 1080 output.

I can't imagine ti would actually look much better if at all but I couldn't help but ask.
>>
>>71854153
no
>>
>>71854167
Oh I know Panama is just the whois, what I meant was that the acquiring of the domain was handled by a Panamanian company. I know they're in Malaysia or somewhere around there due to the money trail. As far as illegality is concerned, are DoS and wrecking a database similar offenses in general? I'm somewhat confused here, doesn't legal action against computer crimes committed from overseas require cooperation between the countries involved?
>>
>>71851699
That looks good thanks anon
>>
>>71839627
What's the Anime in the OP?
>>
>>71854258
https://trace.moe/?auto&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.4cdn.org%2Fg%2F1562910481895.jpg
>>
>>71854194
786p bro,

>>71854225
if youre in the usa or any country that has interest from the usa cyber crime is the worst crime imaginable because the laws were written by retards who are too old and inept to know what a computer is.

it does to a certain degree but yeah since its a sea shithole you probs wont get pwned. just dont do it, be constructive with youre time. have sex with your gf instead
>>
>>71854269
>https://trace.moe/?auto&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.4cdn.org%2Fg%2F1562910481895.jpg
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS EXISTS?
>>
File: a.png (25 KB, 406x143)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>71854335
yea dude, if you use 4chan X there's even a button for it
>>
>>71854312
Yeah you're right, it's not worth the hassle. Thanks for the pointers anon
>>
Is docker a good choice if I have an apache server that is port forwarded to but i want to use the same computer for personal/sensitive uses? that way if the server gets hacked the host stays fine?
>>
>>71839627
Is there any script to organize pictures? I want to keep only only the pictures with people in it.
>>
>>71839627
If It's coolermaster, purge it. I have a small stockpile of 10+ dead CM AIOs. Though, the sound is probably just the nyaa's of the shit pump motor.
>>
whats the easiest and ceapest way to make a site where i can have visitors add comments?
>>
>>71854979
a wordpress site
>>
anyone's firefox fucking up after 68? my addons arent working
>>
>>71855037
really, nothing cheaper that $6/m with hosting?
>>
how do you view the last frame of a video on an android device? vlc and mpv close the video when it gets to the last frame
>>
>>71855462
you can get a cheap $2 vps, setup wordpress yourself.

you can get $3 wordpress site through them. you said easiest, and cheapest. if you think you're gonna find a $1 a month self setup thing you're delusional.
>>
best budget "sport" headphones (over-ear)?
want something for the gym that can handle some sweat and moisture. dont care if its wired or bluetooth.
>>
I make 60k a year. I finished my general Ed at cc. Should I unironically learn to code? Will the jobs still pay as much in 10-15 years if they aren't outsourced to pajeets? What should I do?
>>
>>71855462
wordpress.com is free for basic blog hosting.
>>
So I use bitwarden and authy right now for -most- of my stuff but I noticed a glaring flaw: I use both on my phone. I have set up bitwarden to use authy as a 2FA method. What would you suggest doing next? Realistically it's very difficult to get my shit stolen physically and to be honest for 15+ years I've been using very weak passwords without ever getting my stuff taken online, but it just seems silly to me to have an app requiring authentication from another app in the same exact device.
>>
Is there any charger/software that disconnects your devices after they're fully charged? I want to be able to connect mine overnight without overcharging them...
>>
>>71855981
every device already does this on its own.
>>
I'd like to embed an audio player on my website. I don't have any space left from my host. Could I host the audio files somewhere else for free?

I could use Soundcloud, but I don't like its shitty bloated UI.
>>
How must a hdd be formatted in order to be shared on a network by an openwrt router (via usb 3.0 enclosure) ? Sorry, i have lost touch with linux nowadays.
>>
>>71855715
does it allow custom urls and plugins? want to make something sort of like pcpartpicker
>>
>>71856101
You mean a custom domain name?
Only if you pay for it.

>something sort of like pcpartpicker
Then invest some money into it, 10$ a month for hosting is nothing.
>>
>>71842581
try pulsar
>>
>>71856013
Wut
>>
>>71856101
if you want it to be cheap, get an unmanaged vps and a domain
as a quick example, i use contabo's cheapest one, 4euro/mo for the vps, and 2euro/mo for the domain
- 300G space
- 2 cores
- 4G ram
- 100/100Mb internet connection
- no bandwidth cap

plenty for any lightweight purpose
note that it's unmanaged, so you need to install the os, a web server, wordpress, get an ssl cert, and keep it up to date yourself
>>
Any recommended free video editing software other than Shotcut? It has some problems when exporting files.
I need simplicity (I just wanna cut segments etc) and compatibillity (every video/audio format that matters).
>>
>>71856529
davinci resolve, but it's "freemium"
>>
>>71856143
yeah, i already own the domain

idk, i just want it working the same with the options picker

>>71856290
i like the sound of this. i fucked around with lamp a while ago but i was shit at it. any easy guides for set up? i guess it would all be ssh? what about the actual design part. i know html and css but ive never done js or made a site that lets users post on it
>>
>>71856784
Before you plunge right into, you should learn some basics first.
If you want a site like pcpartpicker then learn javascript and a backend language of your choice first.

Check the OP of >>71837654
>>
>>71840046
Easy data
>>
New thread:
>>71856833
>>71856833
>>71856833
>>
File: (b_oxfol_com)+(2)[1].jpg (69 KB, 843x492)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I have a bunch of old HDDs which show as being one of the two things:

1. Drive shows healthy partitions with no file system, inaccessible

2. Drive appears but shows as 0 bytes capacity, cannot be accessed, cannot be formatted either, nothing can touch these

What software/methodology/etc. do you use to fix this problem? I've searched online but all I get is a small list of actual advice, so far only things that don't work for me (ie. changing drive letter on 0 bytes drive), or I get obvious data recovery software sales pitch websites that offer a solution but only when I buy their shit. If some skilled anons could share the tools and tricks that they use then that would be swell.
>>
>>71856870
testdisk

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.