[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: pale-moon.png (90 KB, 950x580)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
These retards have been giving their users compromised executables for TWO FUCKING YEARS.

At the same time, they were telling their users to IGNORE their ANTIVIRUS WARNINGS because "it's just a false positive xDxD".

What the actual FUCK?
>>
Thats why you compile from source, stupid faggots.
>>
Good. Wintoddlers deserve nothing but pain.
>>
guise I'm scare

I've installed this shit on january 2019

what should do
>>
>>71830581
Get a real OS then install GNU IceCat.
>>
>>71830465
>These retards
It's practically one guy. That's what you get for using hobby software such as this, WaterFox, Ungoogled Chromium and so on.
>>
File: 1361279053612.png (93 KB, 193x247)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>71830581
>what should do
>>
>>71830465
No one sane in the membrane uses Palemoon, that's why this has gone unnoticed for 2 years.
>>
>>71830581
It was only the archived versions. If you just got the newest versions then you're safe.
>>
>>71830581
Before you kys?

nothing since the infected archive server contains old windows installers
>>
>>71830773
you're safe as long as you trust in the retards who let it happen lmao
>>
>>71830762
So say the person who uses google made browser OR telemetry filled mozilla corp software
>>
Thank fuck i stopped using this shit.
No addons and everything thinks im using ancient firefox too
>>
>>71830832
>everything thinks im using ancient firefox too
thats literally what pale moon is
>>
>>71830832
Pretty sure you never used pale moon
Using it and never found a single site to complain about ancient firefox
>>
>>71830581
take it as a canary in the coal mine for how the developers, system administrators and users treat security given that compromised archived versions were served for 19 months and the only response the dev can offer is 'well it's not our fault', they can't even do a full audit because they didn't back up the log files of the server

>>71830611
ungoogled chromium is basically just patches for modern chromium versions, they're not trying to fork an old version and maintain and ship ancient libraries to make crusty software work, it's not comparable in the slightest
>>
>>71830828
>fucking furry can't even keep a simple fucking archive secure
>don't notice they've been compromised for well over 1 1/2 years until someone points it out for them
Yeah these guys really sound like they are trustworthy, competent and can maintain a trannyfox fork.
>>
>>71830465
Hey moron

the false positives were for the regular releases,not the archive one
>>
anybody who uses pale moon from this day out deserves what they get
>>
>>71830893
In contrast google and mozilla is the epitome of trustworthiness

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/16/16784628/mozilla-mr-robot-arg-plugin-firefox-looking-glass
>>
>>71830581
I didn't use it guise

just installed it
>>
>>71830932
clean install your pc and delete all your personal files they're all compromised
>>
>>71830952
not even remotely true.
>>
>>71830926
I'm using the normal non archival non infected pale moon.
>>
>>71830929
not even close retard
>>
>>71830929
>Breaking News Mozilla is a shit company that regularly fucks over what few users it still has, in other news water is wet and the sky is blue!
Anyone that seriously still uses Trannyfox is only getting what they deserve. They are not "the underdog" or the "good guys" they are a bunch of incompetent retards that barely manage to keep up even with the massive funding they get from Google so they don't get antitrusted. Use Iridium, Ungoogled Chromium, or just stock fucking Chrome before you use Trannyfox or accept that you are a brain dead retard.
>>
>>71830952
Your birdbrain is compromised
>>
>>71830875
Pretty sure you take bbc in your ass
>>
File: 1249846_28aec119.jpg (39 KB, 335x224)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>71830929
>>
>>71830773
this.
>>
>>71830976
>if this post was made 2 days ago it would have shilled for pale moon
lmao
>>
File: 1557198107228.jpg (15 KB, 377x567)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>mfw freetards think openshit is not botnet
>>
>>71831015
>being this mentally ill
Trannyfox and all it's forks except for maybe and that's a big fucking maybe TOR are completely worthless trash and shouldn't be used by anyone under whatever circumstances. But sure whatever you need to tell yourself so you can sleep at night.
>>
>>71830828
Wrong on both, my browser (literally mine) is neither. Good luck with your next damage control reply.
>>
>>71831039
lmao retard
>>
>>71830965
>I'm using a different version of the same software that shipped with a virus for 2 years made by the same incompetent devs so I'm fine
>>
File: s663fw.jpg (9 KB, 382x199)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>71831044
Your mobile phone doesn't count?

lol idiot
>>
>>71831096
So this is what mental illness looks like.
>>
what fucking browser should I be using anyway? everything is a botnet according to /g/. is Brave good? ungoogled chromium looks fine but I don't want to use extensions from Google's store.
>>
Keep sucking google's and mozilla's dicks goys

https://techerati.com/news-hub/google-admits-listening-to-some-smart-speaker-recordings/
>>
>>71831146
First day here? This shit has been known for almost a decade.
>>
>>71831146
>c-come suck our furry dicks instead p-please
>>
>>71831143
>is Brave good
is chrome with a shitty ad blocker and a crypto miner on top of it
>>
>>71831143
brave is absolute garbage. unlike palemoon it doesn't even pretend not to be a botnet.
>>
>>71831039
>Trannyfox
>Yet another mentally ill subhuman being that cares more about the developers than the actual browser and its source code which is out in the open for everyone to see
Worthless opinions are worthless. Have a nice day, retard.
>>
>>71831143
if you don't want ungoogled chromium or google extensions just use firefox with some about:config tweaks, forks based on older versions of firefox are universally undermanned and underfunded for the monumental task required of keeping an old aging codebase secure, chromium forks (like ungoogled chromium) get away with it because they're basically just patches on top of recent chromium versions and they're not trying to maintain anything
>>
>>71831143
firefox or chromium and learn to change the config. all the meme browser are shit.
>>
>>71831218
>that cares more about the developers than the actual browser and its source code
The devs are just as shit as the browser and it's code but whatever only reading what you want to read and discarding the rest is a really easy way to live life.
It's also a great counter argument to Mozilla fucking over it's users every step of the way worse than fucking Google does. I'd repeat your words about worthless opinions but that pathetic piss dribble of a comment doesn't even qualify as an opinion.
>>
File: 07.png (181 KB, 400x493)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
These are the only legitimate browsers of 2019 that don't rape your privacy, are run by competent people and have enough manpower to apply security update promptly.

Iridium
Ungoogled Chromium
Firefox
Brave
>>
>>71831333
>brave
>doesn't rape you
lmao
>>
>>71831333
>firefox
>run by competent people
firefox is run by "people" only in the loosest, medical sense of the word, and their competence is so lacking it should never even come into question
>>
File: 1554938255155.jpg (209 KB, 700x700)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>71831333
>are run by competent people
>Firefox
>doesn't rape your privacy
>Brave
>>
>>71830465
>Only files on the archive server were infected
I mean, this is absolutely a brainlet-tier oversight and should be laughed at, but who was actually affected by this?
>>
>>71831299
>The browser and it's code are shit
Hahahahaha, whatever you say bro.

>It's also a great counter argument to Mozilla fucking over it's users every step of the way worse than fucking Google does
Oh yes, I also love to lie and care about things that never happened too!

>I'd repeat your words about worthless opinions but that pathetic piss dribble of a comment doesn't even qualify as an opinion.
As I said, your biased/not serious opinion is worthless, and worthless opinions are worthless.
I hope you have an enjoyable day in your miserable life, retard.
>>
>>71831333
>Firefox + Hardened user settings
Fixed and checked, and change Brave for Icecat.
>>
Use Seamonkey niggets
Also, I wouldnt be surprised if EVERY browser is somehow compromised because most of the use webkit or parts of it.
>>
>>71831600
>Hahahahaha, whatever you say bro.
Great counterargument
>Oh yes, I also love to lie and care about things that never happened too!
Yeah mandatory """""diagnostics""""", the disaster that was their fucking addon signing that they somehow fucked up, forced updates, advertisements in the browser including installing unwanted "Mister Robot" extensions in a advertisement deal and so on and so forth totally never happened™ and I'm just a Google shill trying to hurt Mozilla or something.
Seriously kiddo, tell yourself whatever you need to be able to sleep at night but don't delude yourself to the point that you actually believe your own bullshit.
>>
so you niggers convinced me to switch to Ungoogled Chromium. I have one more question, which extensions do I need to make this shit useable? I already got HTTPS everywhere and the DDG security essentials. Which adblocker should I use?
>>
>>71831661
ungoogled chromium is just as likely to introduce security vulnerabilities. any non-mainline web browser has similar problems.
>>
>>71831661
uBlock Origin, SmartHTTPS not HTTPS Everywhere, uMatrix and uninstall DDGs unless you like replacing one botnet with another.
>>
>>71831671
I would keep using Firefox but it's noticeably slower. It takes like 5 seconds to open DDG compared to Ungoogled Chromium's 2. Every website opens up quicker in Chromium.
>>
>>71831690
just use regular chromium then
>>
>>71831700
I don't want anything to do with Google.
>>
>>71831711
>using chromium
lol
>>
>>71831690
get a faster computer
>>
>>71831333
Brave shills at it again.
>>
>>71831751
luckily brave can't have a scandal like pale moon because they openly admit to being malware
>>
File: 1555521326228.jpg (18 KB, 585x398)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>71831790
>>
>>71830526
No, that's why you stick to the repos of your distro.
>>
>>71831018
Tobin you are not welcome.
>>
>>71831333
Based trips of truth
>>
>>71831644
>Great counterargument
Great no-argument. Fits nicely with your previous no-argument, i.e:
>The browser and it's code are shit
simple words with no fact to back them up.

>mandatory """""diagnostics"""""
"Mandatory", as in "Not mandatory at all, specially if you have your user.js set up."

>the disaster that was their fucking addon signing that they somehow fucked up
It was an expired certification issue and it was fixed in less than 12 hours.

>forced updates
Which you have the option to disable.

>advertisements in the browser including installing unwanted "Mister Robot" extensions in a advertisement deal and so on and so forth totally never happened™
Which you have the option to disable.

>and I'm just a Google shill trying to hurt Mozilla or something.
Don't worry, I already know.

>Seriously kiddo, tell yourself whatever you need to be able to sleep at night but don't delude yourself to the point that you actually believe your own bullshit.
Right back at you, boy ;)
>>
>>71833646
>it doesn't matter because I say so!
Took you three hours to come up with that did it?
>>
>>71830465
>archive installers...
nothing of value was lost
>>
>>71831333
>Iridium
Solid choice, but still about 2 to 3 versions lagging behind mainline chromium, so longer waits for fixes and security patches. The .deb is now 6 versions behind. Their logo also looks like a dick locked inside some chain contraption.

>Ungoogled Chromium
Also a solid choice, but only has updated binaries for Debian 10/Ubuntu 19.04. Windows binary is severely outdated. You can compile yourself but for most users that is not doable.

>Firefox
Probably the only real non-chromium alternative, but you have to apply 50 million about:config tweaks and pray they don't reset your shit with the next update. After what happened with fail moon, I wouldn't trust a single firefox fork, so it's really the only option outside the chromium ecosystem.

>Brave
Maybe ok-ish, but the company behind it is a goolag wanna be with their own ad business and crypto token. I would use vanilla chromium before brave.
>>
>>71833701
>Took you three hours to come up with that did it?
Nah, unlike you I simply have other (and far better) things to do than browsing 4Chan the entire day.
>>
>>71834073
Hey look at that only 30 minutes this time! I'm sure you'll get to single digit times to come up with basic human communication eventually.
>>
>>71833865
based and ultrapilled
>>
>>71834104
>More blablabla, still no argument
Hahahahaha, whatever you say bro.
>>
>>71830773
>he doesnt install the latest version and keep the archive on his computer
>>
>>71833297
t. non-gentoo cuck
>>
>>71830465
Now that the dust has settled for 2 years, what's the /g/ approved (Windows) browser?
>>
>>71837701
Ungoogled Chromium, Iridium. Nothing else, don't let yourself get fooled by the Firefox shills, there is a reason that Firefox has a user base that soon will fall under the category of statistical error. Or rather there is a never ending list of them getting longer by the day.
>>
>>71837701
Brave, Iridium, memefox
>>
>>71831143
>ungoogled chromium looks fine but I don't want to use extensions from Google's store.
you can just compile extensions from source.
>>
>>71831690
Have you tried firefox with webrenderer?
>>
>>71831143
Waterfox for mainstream users

otherwise IceCat and maybe disable or uninstall the LibreJS freetard add-ons
>>
>>71830611
>waterfox
>hobbyist
get with the times
>>
>>71831143
>I don't want to use extensions from Google's store.
Then don't.
>>
>>71833865
>Windows binary is severely outdated.
chromium.woolyss.com
>>
File: 1273715383653.jpg (30 KB, 472x454)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>71831688
>>
Reminder that bravekikes were shilling yesterday because of Brave Ad's official public launch today: >>71835627

And guess what? Every single brave user has been had. Palemoon fucked up, but brave is literally a farmville zoomer botnet for coupon cutters. Fucking lulz. but Palemoon folks, you should really just switch to waterfox or icecat or k-meleon if you want a nice firefox fork.
>>
>>71837701
+1 for Ungoogled
>>
>>71838015
Still slow as shit, tranny.
>>71839267
IceCat's add-ons are laughably worthless.
>>
>>71839391
>Palemoon
>>
>>71839432
Pale Moon*, sorry straver
>>
>>71839432
Tyrone, you must either learn to read or go back, but really, just go back.
>>
>>71839465
It's Male Poon you insensitive clod

Also this:
>>71839391
>>
>>71830976
>le trannyfox
>suggests chrome instead
Once again, /pol/tards proving they are fucking braindead.
>>
>>71830465
Main downloads unaffected, how the fuck is this even news. It takes some severe low functioning autism to download an old version of software like Pale Moon and simultaneously use it for sensitive browsing.
>>
>>71830465
Wait what happened?
>>
Pale Moon is run by furries.

I mean, anyone intelligent knew to avoid this shit.
>>
>>71839453
How do you get through life being this stupid? This is pure, unadulterated idiocy. Stick to (You) posts.
>>
File: PalemoonMoonchild.jpg (1.46 MB, 1718x4862)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>71839391
>but Palemoon folks, you should really just switch to waterfox or icecat or k-meleon if you want a nice firefox fork.

>Waterfox no 32bit version Just valilla tweaked firefox with webestension & XUL support

>Icecat (a.k.a unbranded Firefox) i'd rather use firefox

>k-meleon, soon it will use pale moon's engine , i'd rather use pale moon

and for umpteen time, pale moon is not just a fork of firefox anymore, simpletons/haters don't get that
>>
>>71830465
Well, thank god I never installed this despite /g/ shilling this so hard.
>>
>>71831333
Based anime poster
>>
>>71830965
botted winfag youre already infected by microsoft poos
>>
>>71840305
>Just valilla tweaked firefox with webestension & XUL support
No
>>
>>71840408
Silling so hard that all you hear is "Furfags,old insecure firefox" you need to recheck what actual shilling means.

Even if you'd had decided to install it you'd be safe since this breach applies ONLY for an archive server with old windows versions
>>
>palememe comes with manjaro i3
It was only wintoddlers r-right?
>>
>>71840305
hi Markus
please fix the auto update feature, also I always get tons of lingering palemoon.exe processes, it almost never exits cleanly regardless of whether I click the x in the corner of the window, or I go to the menu and select Quit there
>>
>>71840483
Yes
It is based on a old Firefox 56 (and soon ESR68) code with upstream security ESR patches

https://www.waterfox.net/blog/waterfox-56.2.10-release-download/
>>
>>71830526
so you are assuming that their source server is not compromised too.. or did you actually read all of it
>>
>>71830589
thats a dead project tho. they are always ~6 months behind in security patches. like right now the latest version is already outdated.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (11 KB, 243x300)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>71840537
Hi anon
My name is not markus nor moonchild or tobin
If you want to report any issues you have with pale moon i'd suggest you to do it in the forum, not here.

Have a good day
>>
File: 1537669135783.png (10 KB, 909x94)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>71831333
firefox will soon send your passwords to google. just look in the settings.. theres already an option that they can switch on any day. chrome and others probably already do it tho and i dont believe that theres any configuration for it there.
>>
>>71840560
There are other changes, but since he keeps screwing with the site I can't find them anymore.
>>
>>71840589
Their source is hosted on github, and all the commits are checked by their contributors. Unless the dev himself decided to fuck with his own project, I don't see how the source can be compromised.
>>
I'll continue using Pale Moon (built from source, ran in firejail) until another browser gets the equivalent of both Pentadactyl and uBlock.
>>
>>71840710
Same here. Currently using palemoon with vimperator and ublock origin.
The only browser that has come close to my need is qutebrowser but it's still missing a good adblocker.
>>
>>71840750
When Qutebrowser gets proper adblocking, I'll probably switch to it. uMatrix-equivalent addon is already available (though without the UI, so it's not really as usable yet), so that's the last thing stopping me from switching to it.
>>
>>71840761
You can bet you ass that qutebrowser will never get proper adblocking, (not basic shit like easylist/easyprivacy filterlists) let alone uBlock Origin's level of content blocking.
>>
>>71840788
Why would it not?
>>
>>71840796

Read
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/3186
>>
>>71840814
You don't need WebExtensions to implement an ad blocker. Could it not just be done in Python, like the rest of the browser excluding the engine?
>>
>>71830465
Fuck off NSA
>>
>>71840826
You need WebExtensions or XPCOM/XUL if you want uBlock Origin in your platform, as for your next question, the fact that no one did it so far is i think a good indication on how difficult such a task is.
>>
>>71831143
Firefox is shit but it's still the best shit around. Its saving grace lies in its customisibility, which despite getting worse is still unmatched. So compile your own version with some shit turned off and use a good user.js to turn FF into something bearable. If you want to receive all the new garbage features in bulk every year instead of gradually, stay on the ESR channel.
>>
>>71840876
It doesn't have to be uBlock origin itself and, as far as I understand it, the main reason no one did it was because the response to most such issues was "wait for Python plugin API".
>>
>>71830899
haha.. when you can't fix about false-positive then blame antivirus for their incompetents. nice faggot.
>>
>>71841025
>Python plugin API

We're 5 years later yet there is zero progress of any Python plugin API - read lacking/not finalized.

https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/30
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/29

again don't hold your breath for anything more than a very basic adblocking, sometime in the future.
>>
>>71841297
Welp, then I really hope that we either get a new browser with real addons because WebExtensions are dogshit for UX changes. Really need some addons that run on the level of the browser process and can modify the browser chrome, but wext are basically fancy userscripts.
>>
>>71841340
install pihole
>>
>>71841404
DNS blocking is not sufficient.
>>
>>71841422
it is, actually. Both ublock and pihole block specific domains, so if the advertisement is located on uknown/new domain or ip address both are essentially useless, so pihole does the same ublock does but more efficient.
the only downside of pihole is that you can't block specific elements of the webpage, but I honestly never use it. Big websites know how to evade such stuff, e.g by dividing ads into several randomely named blocks.
>>
File: False positives.png (246 KB, 594x491)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>71841092
Because we all know that false positives is no issue with antivirus software
>>
File: file.png (85 KB, 609x451)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>71841469
What about in-band ads?
Plus, I block tons of crap (e.g. social network buttons, cookie popups, etc.) using the element blocker; DNS blocking will do nothing for that.
>>
>>71841501
>DNS blocking will do nothing for that.
you do understand every ad is located on some ad-related domain and it has to resolve that domain somehow, right? Same with your buttons and other stuff.
>>
>>71841514
Quite a few ads and many annoyances are located on the same domain as the website they're on. Content blocking takes care of that while still letting me view the site (and probably even without wasting performance trying to load the elements and also collapsing the space they would've taken up), host resolution interference does not.
>>
File: gorhillHN.png (19 KB, 1075x148)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>71841469
>so pihole does the same ublock does but more efficient.

Nope
>>
>>71840305
>no 32bit version
Why the fuck would you want to use a 32-bit web browser in 2019
64-bit CPUs have been commonplace for close to 15 years now and a lot of pages can use of several hundred MBs if not GBs of RAM by themselves these days, especially with how badly Firefox leaks memory.
>>
>>71841568
For the reason you just mentioned
32-bit browsers consumes far less ram than their 64-bit counterparts
Everyone who have used a 32/64 bit browser can attest that.
>>
>>71837731
t. jewgle shill
>>
>>71840662
You said it yourself. If the dev is fine with a compromised server, why wouldn't he be fine with a compromised source? The "team" mixes and matches patches with little afterthought, how anyone trusts them is beyond me.
>>
>>71841568
Buy more RAM.
>>
>>71830887
>ungoogled chromium is basically just patches for modern chromium versions, they're not trying to fork an old version and maintain and ship ancient libraries to make crusty software work, it's not comparable in the slightest
it's still a random anonymous guy from internet that maintains it, genius
>>
>>71831143
>2019
>Not using Vivaldi
The absolute state of /g/ these days
>>
>>71841663
Where the fuck did they said they are fine with it?
>>
File: rms-disapproves.jpg (51 KB, 450x422)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>71841704
>>
>>71831333
>ungoogled chromium
>enough manpower
> a single anon nobody ever heard about
god, people are stupid and deserve trojans
>>
>>71841707
They've been infected all this time and either didn't notice ( (X) doubt ) or didn't take action. Both scenarios prove incompetency.
>>
>>71841663
>If the dev is fine with a compromised server, why wouldn't he be fine with a compromised source?

He's not fine with the compromised server though.

>The "team" mixes and matches patches with little afterthought

Unfounded nonsense as usual
>>
>>71841735
Idiot. They literally admitted to retrofitting patches at will. Who moderates it? Who audits it?
>>
>>71841727
Or perhaps you have no clue on what you're talking about which honestly is much closer to the true scenario.
>>
>>71840710
>Pentadactyl
what are its features that are most important to you?
>>
>>71841763
You're an imbecile. If those 2-3 autists can't be trusted with a fuckign server, why would they be trusted with an entire browser and all of its security patches? Rhetorical question - they shouldn't.
>>
>>71841755
>retrofitting patches

I had some doubt before but now i'm 100% convinced that you are clueless

begone kiddo
>>
>>71841787
seems the current state of /g/ is "the software is good as long as its licence allows people to fork it for free. "
>>
>>71841790
Oh so you're delusional and/or run an archair, vulnerable version of pale meme?
>>
>>71841799
>if it ain't broke, don't fix it
>if it is broke, it's your fault
Big yike
>>
>>71841779
In-page keyboard navigation (usual keybinds also replicated by Vimium and similar)
Hints mode
Stuff like :open/:tabopen (obviously keybound, t)
Vi-style text editing (e.g. ^W to delete last word)
Regex in-page search
Nearly full access to browser features from command mode (bookmarks, history, downloads, addon control, …)

Tridactyl implements a decent subset of that. but doesn't work on anything that isn't a loaded HTML page (so, doesn't work on browser config pages, browser chrome, images, while a page is loading, etc.), is really sluggish at times and doesn't integrate with browser chrome (any native browser keybinds or UI entirely override it). Also, using d/D to close tabs sometimes closes the first tab with or instead of the tab I wanted to close.
>>
>>71841816
the first part is fine and the second is often true too because users are retards
>>
>>71841844
Users use the exact interface you provide with as much freedom you've constructed possible. No, users are elite QA testers, your product is malengineered. Funny how this "supplied without warranty of the implication of warranty" bullshit only flies with non-professional software.
>>
daily reminder that pale moon doesn't respect your freedom

https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/issues/86

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=16555

moonfags btfo. yiff in hell
>>
>>71841825
well that's pretty powerful, don't think i saw anything that replicates vim behavior.
vivaldi does have spatial navigation, and quick commands built in though
https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-2-1-launches-with-improved-quick-commands/
>>
File: dh.gif (786 KB, 250x231)
786 KB
786 KB GIF
>>71841865
>>
>>71841906
Vivaldi is proprietary, which is even more of a deal-breaker than no real adblocker.
I'll just continue to suffer with PM+Pentadactyl or perhaps FF+Tridactyl for now.
>>
>>71841906
Quick Commands are epic feature
>>
>>71841865
>https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/issues/86
To me it looks like OpenBSD didn't respected their license...
>>
>>71841924
>proprietary, which is even more of a deal-breaker than no real adblocker.
why?
>>
>>71841935
they just copied the licenses from mozilla and put their names there instead
>>
>>71841935
That's not the point. It's the typical bombastic, overly compensating, theatrical response from the pale meme team. Highly undiplomatic and harmful to the peaceful development environment.
>>
>>71841690
>>71841711
samefag
Also just inspect the patches if you’re so paranoid. Better yet, stop using the Internet altogether.
>>
File: 1443167242700.jpg (37 KB, 500x378)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>71830581
>>
>>71830964
>being this new
lurkmoar
>>
>>71841947
So?
>>
>>71841965
>bombastic
wut
>>
>>71841973
>not trusting random anonymous person off internet
>paranoid
wew, you really don't know shit about security do you?
>>
imagine using an old firefox fork created by a furry and a fat neckbeard
>>
>>71842178
People unironically use things like Ungoogled Chromium and Brave so...
>>
>>71842127
Typical screeching non-response.
>>71842327
You have yet to give a real reason.

Keep seething, tranny.
>>
>>71842433
t. iq 80
>>
>>71841937
I do not trust nor want to use non-free software.
>>
>>71842486
>i trust only free software
communist
>>
>>71841965
Even if all these are true, do you hold the devs from all the other browsers to the same high standards of scrutiny or this only applies to pale moon?
My advice to you and everyone else, focus less to what the devs say on the forum and focus more to the browser itself.
>>
>>71842501
I don't want to go into this argument now. If you want to inflict proprietary software on yourself, feel free to.
>>
>>71842512

let me make this very simple for you moonies. You seem to think you are somehow secure by default, or that people need to prove you are insecure.

Guess what? Nothing's really secure. All anyone can do is minimize risks. And using software "maintained" (read: forked from ancient version of actual browser and haphazardly patched) by a ragtag group of furries and aspies with massive ego problems is WAY more of a risk than.... well, basically any of the alternatives. No amount of memeing or occult rituals involving "wolf" semen will change this basic fact.
>>
>>71842515
i bet you flash your bios to a non-proprietary one genius
>>
>>71842564
I'll take that as a 'no'
>>
>>71842631
What are you trying to start here? Trying to show off by saying how much you like the nonfree cock up your ass?
>>
>>71842464
I know you are.
>>
>>71840602
>what is firerox esr?
>>
>>71842651
>>71842658
omg you're tranny level of funny
>>
>>71842564
>read: forked from ancient version of actual browser and haphazardly patched
>>71840305
>>
>>71842692
it's almost like you think him saying it's not true can magically make it not true. but it's still true.
>>
>>71842717
You haven't proven it's true.
>>
>>71842742
if that's your argument then we should just all pray to jesus for security and use IE6, because you can't prove it doesn't work

this has got to be a troll because there is no way anyone could be this retarded
>>
>>71842778
>no way anyone could be this retarded
don't underestimate the people on internet
>>
>71842778
>because you can't prove it doesn't work
You're right, you can't prove a negative.
>>
>>71842778
>>71842789
samefag
>>
>>71841297
Basic adblocking (based on hosts) already exists since almost five years, and there are unofficial plugins like https://gitlab.com/jgkamat/jblock and https://gitlab.com/jgkamat/jmatrix
>>
>>71842832
stay salty mr. xshe
>>
>>71842512
I do because my nightly builds contain the latest patches period. There are entire teams working behind the scenes as opposed to 2-3 autists with anger issues who do anything at their own leisure.
>>71842692
>>71842742
If pale meme devs have the audacity to claim their mish mash browser is on the same security level as the latest firefox, I expect pages long reports on their design decisions and actions, formal logic verification that the patches were retrofitted correctly, and that the browser does not produce vulnerabilities that are not present in mainline firefox. They haven't done that, only post long nonsensical paragraphs without saying anything.
>>
>>71841514
Yeah, so if you DNS-block, say, Twitter, you remove Twitter buttons from other sites, but you can't visit Twitter itself either.
>>
>>71842882
...and that's a good thing!
>>
File: btfo.gif (1.69 MB, 498x278)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB GIF
>>71840305
> "rabid-release"
browser "developer" is such a furfag he thinks the term rapid release is rabid release
>>
>>71830976
Enjoy your meme browsers no one gives a shit about and also come with free viruses or mining scripts lmao.
>>
>>71842862
and that the browser does not produce vulnerabilities that are not present in mainline firefox. They haven't done that, only post long nonsensical paragraphs without saying anything.


Wrong!

The've been doing that on each release, it's in the changelog
Pale moon gets ALL the applicable (No multy-process sandbox vulnerabilities) security fixes from the latest gecko & intermediate point releases, you're wrong again

>If pale meme devs have the audacity to claim their mish mash browser is on the same security level as the latest firefox

and you're wrong again

https://www.cvedetails.com/product/3264/Mozilla-Firefox.html?vendor_id=452
https://www.cvedetails.com/product/24264/Palemoon-Pale-Moon.html?vendor_id=12592
>>
>>71842935
How do you suggest I screenshot tweets to farm outrage on /v/ then?
>>
>>71843102
"haha just because no one cares enough about Neet Browser (TM) to attempt reporting anything I'm totally safe, right?"
(You)
>>
>>71830465
>>
>>71839453
Cringe. Not to mention that you clearly haven't tried things like themes or certain AddOns which definitely don't work on Ice Cat.
>>
>>71841568
Not him, but the 32bits versions of Firefox have always worked better than the 64bits ones.
Also, if Firefox consumes so much RAM on your end, that's a you problem.
Before starting to use Firemin which cut the RAM usage of Firefox to ridiculously low levels, mine never really used more than 800 MB.
>>
>>71839372
You realize that's just regular chromium binaries, not ungoogled chromium? The UG Chromium binaries are here, notice W10 is severely out of date.

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/
>>
>>71841704
Fuck off with your vivaldi shilling. No one uses that proprietary Chinese botnet spinoff browser.
>>
>>71843639
>"IMPORTANT: These binaries are provided by anyone who are willing to build and submit them. Because these binaries are not necessarily reproducible, authenticity cannot be guaranteed."
>downloading binaries from random users
no wonder the versions are all over the place
>>
>>71843639
>>71843688
-- oh, and this is in a thread about pale moon's archive server tampering
that's terrible, but random 3rd party builds of ungoogled chromium, perfectly fine!
/g/ is really dumb sometimes
>>
File: 13123.gif (3.87 MB, 500x281)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB GIF
This is why I stick with Windows, who knows what kinda spyware Linux has
>>
>>71843707
but the affected files were only windows exe's, and on a windows-based server
>>
>>71843688
Yes. This is why you should only stick to mainstream browsers, and if you're on a linux distro, just the options in your repository. That's pretty much Firefox or Chromium. Everything else is a derivative of those two projects and using anything other than them will increase the likelihood that someone along the way has fucked something up, either accidentally or maliciously, Fail Moon being the most recent example now. Both FF and Chromium have telemetry out of the box, but they can be disabled with some tweaking.

>>71843705
I never said you should use UG Chromium. I wouldn't trust some random dude's binaries.
>>
>>71843724
>2008+11
>escher posting is alive and well
>>
>>71830465
>trusting a furr fag dev
Just leave.
>>
>>71843734
>I never said you should use UG Chromium. I wouldn't trust some random dude's binaries.
you should make that more clear, pointing to it like that makes it seem like a recommendation
>>
>>71843805
I was simply showing that the above poster had linked to regular chromium not UG chromium, which is why I pasted the link for comparison and to show how bad the UG chromium binary situation is
>>
>>71843829
hmm, fair enough
>>
>>71843734
it's sad but this is probably true. nowadays browsers are too complicated and do too many things while having too many interactions that no small group of individuals can meaningfully keep on top of it
fuck, even microsoft tapped out and switched to making chrome skins like everybody else
>>
>>71830465
>use pale moon they said
Good thing I don't listen to the retards here.
>>
>>71843905
Yeap, exactly. I'm not trying to shill either, but if you want good security it's the only two projects with tens of thousands of eyeballs looking at the code every single day, and even then it's not always perfect
>>
>>71843977
there's also safari but yea I basically agree with you. I'm using firefox and I don't really love it. but I don't see that the niche choices make any sense and there are pretty obvious reasons not to use them. firefox has way more people on active security watch and it still gets major 0days like that one barely 2 weeks ago. any small team just doesn't stand a chance.
>>
>>71830465
proof? other than your own ass?
virustotal? jotti.org score?
anyway anything can get hacked and is a botnet
>>
>>71844274
retard
>>
>>71844274
>proof? other than your own ass?
See >>71844286
https://www.google.com/search?q=pale+moon+virus
>>
>>71842512
Not him, but holding devs responsible is the reason why I dropped Mozilla Firefox a long time ago. I saw the Mozilla organization jumping the shark, got out early, and have been proven right since Firefox has gotten worse over time. That's why there's so much interest in alternative browsers now, after all. The browser always trends towards reflecting the attitude of its devs over time.

A security breach like the one pale moon's archive server just had is therefore fatal. They've proven they won't follow industry standard security practices and they aren't capable of guarding against attacks.
>>
>>71845030
>Firefox has gotten worse over time.
No, it didn't. It's the entirely opposite, actually.
>>
>>71845030
I agree with this anon >>71845071
firefox is better now than they were, but a few years ago they were in a deep hole
>>
>>71843666
I do, and I dare to say Vivaldi community is by far the most active of all alternative browsers. Also nothing you say about is truth.
>>
>>71845108
Literally look at the license, it is PROPRIETARY FREEWARE, you fucking moron
>>
>>71845108
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

>When you install Vivaldi browser (“Vivaldi”), each installation profile is assigned a unique user ID that is stored on your computer. Vivaldi will send a message using HTTPS directly to our servers located in Iceland every 24 hours containing this ID, version, cpu architecture, screen resolution and time since last message.

https://vivaldi.com/privacy/browser/

>Subject to the terms and conditions herein, Vivaldi hereby grants You a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to install and use the Software and Services for its intended purpose.

https://vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/

KEKED BOTNET BROWSER THAT PHONES HOME, ENJOY YOUR BOTNET FAGGOT. JUST WAIT, IT WILL GET SOLD TO THE CHINESE JUST LIKE OPERA. ADIOS PRIVACY AMIGO
>>
>>71830465
Kek, yeah. And then you have bunch of fucking autists making dumb threads sperging out about privacy and security.
Full blown Dunning-Kruger effect.
Sit back and enjoy the show
>>
>>71845108
Probably because it targets a very niche audience, however Vivaldi itself remains buggy, slow and falls behind on the updates / development
>>
>>71841973
Kys retard
>>
>>71845244
This. Vivaldi is almost as bad as Fail Moon... almost. It would take a lot to beat them. Although both Fail Moon and Vivaldi users act like cult members.
>>
>>71830589
>using tranny server OS
Some people like to do more than just browsing web pages on their computers.
>>
>>71845244
>>71845263
t. samefag that never installed vivaldi. vivaldi always use the latest chromium
>>
>>71845244
You're joking?
>>
>>71845304
That's not the criticism you fucking moron. The point is they are closed source and actively spy on their users with telemetry. Learn.. to.. read.
>>
>>71845322
Vivaldi IS NOT CLOSED SOURCE
>>
>>71845418
https://vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/

It doesn't matter if they have source code available. You can't compile it, you have no legal ability to modify it and redistribute it, and the license is proprietary freeware. Stay mad you seething shill.
>>
>>71845474
that doesn't mean it's closed source, it means they don't give licence to morons like you to fork it and name it pale vivaldi, water vivaldi, ice vivaldi and other nonsense TM software commmunists cancer
>>
>>71845517
Yes it is closed source. Even the devs on reddit admit this. Fuck off and enjoy your shitty botnet that phones home every 24hrs with your data.
>>
>>71831143
use falkon
>>
>>71845534
no they didn't. closed source means no access to source.
https://help.vivaldi.com/article/is-vivaldi-open-source/

>botnet
you're dreaming
>>
>>71845185
>Vivaldi will send a message using HTTPS directly to our servers located in Iceland every 24 hours containing this ID, version, cpu architecture, screen resolution and time since last message.
Is there any way to turn this off besides just blocking with a firewall?
>>
>>71845605
It literally says that they phone home every 24 hours with unique ID, computer specs, IP, and other data about you. That is the DEFINITION of a fucking botnet. Just because they show code does not mean it's open source. It is closed source because you have NO WAY to VERIFY that the BUILDS are the same that you download compared to the code. If you can't compile it from source, then it is in effect the same as closed source. You have to trust that those faggots didn't change anything else to make it worse than it already is. Enjoy.. your.. botnet.. faggot.


>When you install Vivaldi browser (“Vivaldi”), each installation profile is assigned a unique user ID that is stored on your computer. Vivaldi will send a message using HTTPS directly to our servers located in Iceland every 24 hours containing this ID, version, cpu architecture, screen resolution and time since last message.

https://vivaldi.com/privacy/browser/
>>
>>71845648
Nope, just block it and hope it doesn't find a way to reroute the data. Or use a better browser.
>>
>>71845517
>that doesn't mean it's closed source
That's exactly what it means, fucktard.
>>
>>71845648
faggot forgot to paste the rest
>> We anonymize the IP address of Vivaldi users by removing the last octet of the IP address from your Vivaldi client then we store the resolved approximate location after using a local geoip lookup. The purpose of this collection is to determine the total number of active users and their geographical distribution.

basically it just tells vivaldi there is one user in your country. pretty much all browsers have something like this or they wouldn't know if they have any users at all.
it's no personal data at all.
>>
>>71845660
>That is the DEFINITION of a fucking botnet.
no it isn't you fucking idiot
>>
>>71845720
fuck you you fucking idiot, that's the /g/ definition of a botnet, you have to go back
>>
>palememe
lmao that pile of shit would have died years ago if assburgers didn't have panic attacks over australis.
>>
>>71845684
no it doesn't, dickeater
>>
>>71845705
>basically it just tells vivaldi there is one user in your country. pretty much all browsers have something like this or they wouldn't know if they have any users at all.
>it's no personal data at all.
yeah until it gets bought by the chinese like opera and they start abusing the data and collecting more since you have to way to opt out. just get a better browser man
>>
>>71845726
no it isn't, that's how you uneducated plebs understand the things gron ups talk about, usually wrong
>>
>>71845743
>just get a better browser man
there is currently no better browser than vivaldi, if you think there is point at it
>>
>>71830465
lazy
>>
>>71845765
what is Iridium, what is Firefox, what is UG chromium, fuck, even Brave is better than that dogshit
>>
>>71845765
lol
>>
>>71845785
you seriously don't have a clue what you're talking about
>>
>>71830465
Is everyone finally going to realize that one or two people can't maintain an entire full featured modern web browser by themselves and have it be secure? The same goes for Water Fox and Ungoogled Chromium. What's even left at this point besides Ice Cat? Are browsers like QuteBrowser that just serve as a front end with the back end maintained by a large group of people a good choice? IIRC QuteBrowser has fewer lines of code than w3m because it's just a front end.
>>
>>71846018
>Is everyone finally going to realize that one or two people can't maintain an entire full featured modern web browser by themselves
obviously this concept eludes many on todays /g/. it's not like "hey i forked the calculator app."
>>
Pale Moon is better than Brave for sure.
>>
>>71846143
Brave is completely retarded. It's main idea is to replace ads web dev wanted to show you with some ads you "want" to see. They want to replace google ad machine with their own but without the money or infrastructure.
The whole browser is structured around the idea of money.
>>
>>71845736
It is closed source you shithead. OSS by definition is software released under a license that allows user to study, change and distribute it.
What you are talking about is an open-core, not open-source.
>>
so whats the current guide for securing vanilla firefox so that we dont have to download a meme fork?

hard to keep track of all the changes and vulnerabilities and botnets over the years.
>>
>>71846436
Use Ice Cat. Ice Cat is the offical FSF approved fork of Firefox, so if even Ice Cat starts having problems then it's time to abandon all hope.
>>
>>71840499
yeah, pretty much every GNU/Linux distro ships their own browser builds
>>
>>71843102
>muh changelog
>muh ALL fixes work, I promise
I said, give me the reports and formal analysis you idiot. I don't want naive design choices and blind promises.
>>
>>71846533
>out of date shit with slow security updates
>>
>>71843484
Absence of evidence is nit the evidence of absence. Meaning pale meme, being a fork of firefox, has at least as many vulnerabilities until proven otherwise.
>>
>>71846436
you can use that spyware neocities user.js as a start, and add other preferences if you want.
Or you can use mine, the last 3 or 4 lines are anti-fingerprinting settings so those are optional. https://pastebin.com/eNA1Z77H
>>
>>71846386
>It is closed source
it is not
>>
>>71846436
Firefox ESR alongside the following addons:
> Bitwarden - Free Password Manager
> uBlock Origin
> Smart HTTPS
> Decentraleyes

There you go. Now you have a secure, stable and fast browser that respects your privacy.
>>
>>71846708
don't forget to disable the telemetry and similar shit
>>
>>71846708
Why do I need decentralise
>>
>>71846734
Basically.
Go to about:preferences#privacy and uncheck every thing under Data collection and Use.
Not sure this disables everything though as Wireshark detects regular connections even when extensions and updates are disabled.
>>
>>71846784
Do you have a host file with firefox telemetry addresses?
>>
>>71841490
based kaspersky
>>
>>71841490
link?

leaning towards bitdefender just to be on safe side with the whole kaspersky controversy
>>
File: u57u.jpg (23 KB, 422x400)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>71846587
>>
>>71847010
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-february-may-2019/
>>
>>71847025
Very representative of the pale mooning "community". Shit eater.
>>
File: 87o7o.jpg (17 KB, 320x213)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>71847071
>>
>>71847048
of course you missed the most relevant data
>>
>>71847010
>Kaspersky controversy
>He fell for the NSA disinfo

https://www.zdnet.com/article/eu-no-evidence-of-kaspersky-spying-despite-confirmed-malicious-classification/
>>
>>71847151
meh, I rather not risk it, I dont believe all the political muh russia shit tho.
>>
>>71847097
Keep parading your defeat, petulant children.
>>71847151
Bullshit article theyve been caught red handed before.Typical Russian "muh broofs"
>>
>>71847140
Relevant data if you're looking for a good AV
irrelevant for the discussion though
also these numbers change from test to test
>>
>>71847227
>Bullshit article theyve been caught red handed before.Typical Russian "muh broofs"
the absolute state of /g/
>>
File: 890p80p.png (148 KB, 364x333)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>71847227
>>
File: 1562958435039.jpg (447 KB, 1080x1184)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
Holy fuck how on earth did this furfag not notice he was serving up malware for so long?
>>
>>71846784
>>71846908
This is unironically the best FF config and will turn off all telemetry (I verified in wireshark). The spyware guys are autistic but this is a good config. Just paste into your user.js or prefs.js file and keep a backup because FF seems to "erase" some settings after each upgrade

https://spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html
>>
>>71830465
What if I was using the version I downloaded from the site and not the archive? What if someone has the archived downloaders but didn't run them? I also thought the breach was from April to June of this year not two years
>>
>>71847874
the timestamps were spoofed if someone calls me a moron for not reading, april-june 2019 is the actual date
>>
just installed this browser
>>
File: 80s.png (193 KB, 398x376)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>71847372
>windows-based archive server
>>
>>71841707
the fact they've been distributing it
>>
>>71847920
F
>>
>>71847838
>spyware.neocities
just die, troll
>>
>>71848012
Fuck off. I didn't say I agree with all their articles, only that their FF guide is solid.
>>
>>71830465
and there were people who fell for this shit
how embarassing
>>
>>71848023
And still are >>71847920
>>
File: mashiro.jpg (32 KB, 480x639)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>71830465
Pale Moon dont make executables, they only release source code. Executables (deb/rpm/exe) are created by other people unrelated to PM. Also there's literally no reason to download binaries yourself unless you want NEXT > NEXT > NEXT buttons
>>
>>71830465
Imagine running Windows and complaining about the back doors in a browser that you voluntarily downloaded
>>
>>71849060
Im not spending a femtosecond following retarded build guides.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.