[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: python.png (157 KB, 2000x2000)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
I have some knowledge of the HTML, CSS languages (I know, I know) but I dont know dick about object-oriented ones. Baby's fiwst wanguage.
>>
Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want webdev, learn JavaScript first, then come back and ask the same question. A good resource that teaches JS, reviews html/CSS AND teaches Python is the free CS50s webdev course by Harvard. You can enroll (free) or just watch their videos/project assignments on the CS50 website (also free) or their jewtube channel. If what you want is data science there's a popular course by IBM called Python for data science or something like that. They're all on edx
>>
Pick up some book or a course. (google is your friend here) Do what it says.
>>
>>69325524
if i want to build an app for myself to retrieve data and the like would I need to build a UI or could I do it through a terminal. Sorry if retarded question.
>>
>>69325576
You can do anything through the terminal, but sometimes you need a gui for ease of use. I recommend this book https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/ coupled with this course https://www.edx.org/course/python-basics-for-data-science-ibm. There's a lot of other popular free courses on coursera and Udacity, like Python for Everyone by the university of Michigan
>>
>>69325667
thanks! python 2 or 3?
>>
>>69325763
>>
>>69325483
Learn a proper language
>>
>>69325763
2 is antiquated and will hit end of life on 2020-01-01.
>>
>>69325899
Thanks for your thoughtful insight
>>
>cant compile if you mix tabs and spaces
pytards will defend this
>>
>>69325483
The best way to learn python is to not. Download MS Visual Studio instead.
>>
>>69326377
Dubs of truth.
>>
>>69326377
And then what
>>
>>69326398
learn C#
>>
>>69325483
Literally just use Google. God damn.
>>
>>69325483
Jupyter notebooks + docs
>>
>>69326435
Do not do this, OP.
>>
>>69326398
Then use the excellent integrated design environment to learn one of its Built-in languages which include C, C++, C++/CLI, Visual Basic .NET, C#, F#, JavaScript, TypeScript, XML, XSLT, HTML, and CSS.
>>
>>69326477
Which would you recommend and what materials would you suggest learning it with?
>>
>>69326488
If you want to build computer applications then Visual Basic. If you want to program video games then c, c++. If you want to code websites then javascript, and html, and I do not know what xml and css are for though they are Web standards. What materials? Um, a personal computer and a monitor and a mouse and keyboard. And then enrol on a programming course at your local education centre.
>>
File: MG_3259-as01a-800.jpg (557 KB, 800x800)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>>69326567
And then you're going to need a leather satchel.
>>
>>69326613
And a cardigan.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (13 KB, 300x225)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>69326616
And some biro pens.
>>
>>69326623
What about socks I heard somewhere I need socks to program or some bull shit
>>
File: Warranty-dept-300x169.jpg (10 KB, 300x169)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>69326623
Then you'll end up working somewhere like here.
>>
>>69326695
This is how gay you might end up looking. Genuinely socks went out with the Amiga. For some reason with the rise of Web development socks went into decline. It's a millenial thing I guess.
>>
File: lrg.jpg (72 KB, 500x656)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>69325483
Get this
>>
>>69325483
Jazzology is where you're going, really.
>>
>>69325483
If you already know some programming, you can try going through this. I found it quite helpful when I picked up python.

https://jakevdp.github.io/WhirlwindTourOfPython/
>>
>>69325899
I know this is bait but I'll bite:

People who think this shit in real life are insufferable faggots who have 0 concept of how much abstraction there already is between them programming in "real" languages bare metal. The amount of abstraction that's achieved by going from logic gates to C is fucking astronomical, and you could probably never achieve writing a C compiler from bare metal in your entire life if it weren't for the work of hundreds of years of mathematicians working all this shit out for you. Comparatively, the jump from C to Python is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. Sure it might abstract away a few data structures and make things nicer to use, but it's nothing compared to carefully organizing bits of sand together in such a way that they perform actual computation.

Computer science and abstraction are tied together at the hip. Losers who can't understand that the continuous abstraction of mathematics is the very essence of computing are the most obnoxious fucking faggots in the world. The losers who can't understand that it's actually harder to think abstractly are the funniest of them all. Sure you can do the equivalent of hand-holding a modern abacus. You're not accomplishing anything by reinventing the wheel for the thousandth time, you're just doing it because someone needs some retarded shit to be fast, but you're not furthering the field of computer-science. You're not developing new fucking algorithms in C, you're implementing something that someone (far smarter than you) has already thought of in a slightly different flavor just so you can get a paycheck.
>>
>>69325763
3. Not only 3 is a better language, but 2 is legacy and won't be supported soon. By using it, you further the divide.
>>
>>69325483
Check out automate the boring stuff with python. It's free online and the intro chapters are a great crash course
>>
>>69325483
automatetheboringstuff.com

Don't even think about doing anything else, until you've used this site.
>>
There are so many employment opportunities in the computing and IT sector.
>>
>>69325483

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-0001-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-in-python-fall-2016

Also try some pandas tutorials - pandas, numpy and tensorflow is where python, as a dynamic typed scripting glue for statically typed compiled way too complex crap shines.

Remember, that Python is only good as such kind of a glue (and it is being used in this way by very smart guys).
>>
>>69327182
glad to see my post became a pasta
>>

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.