[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 170510w.jpg (100 KB, 760x428)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>Time travel is impossible because if it were possible we would have already witnessed time travelers
True or false?
>>
>>69325036
Time travel is impossible because of relativity.
>>
Real time travel simply implies you can see images of the past, theoretically. That's it.
>>
Why would time travelers come to this time when there is infinite choices?
>>
Going back into the past is impossible in the classical sense because it creates a number of unresolvable logical paradoxes
>>
>>69325097
not if there's multiple timelines
>>
If someone were to time travel, and presumably to the very spot they're in at the moment of departure, when they arrived in whichever time they chose, they'd be millions of miles away from where they want to be because the solar system- and thus the earth- was in a different place at that different time. If you traveled six months into the future, you'd be in space and the earth would be on the other side of the sun lmao
>>
>>69325036
One direction, forward, is possible (moving clocks go faster), but backwards doesn't work.
>>
>>69325120
You mean slower
>>
What if time travel is possible but no one from the big bang to the death of the universe actually invents it because it's too complex?
>>
What if cause and effect don't matter at all? Logically speaking, that doesn't make sense, but we're just assuming that it has to make sense.
>>
>>69325111
Multiple timelines aren't possible unless you mean parallel universes from different quantum states, aka the Many Worlds hypothesis, but personally I think the Wave Function Collapse is the real deal and our universe is the only one
>>
>>69325097
If you traveled into the past and killed younger you, would you cease to exist or could you take over his life of shitposting on 4channel?
>>
>>69325036
time travel is possible but it crashes universe.exe due to the logical error of a causeless effect
>>
>>69325117
And why wouldn't you keep your momentum
>>
Think of a whiteboard, now draw a square on the board. Erase the square and draw a circle.

Now If you want the whiteboard to show a square, do you have to go BACK IN TIME? No, you simply change the state again by erasing and drawing another square.

The whiteboard has states but it has no "memory" of the previous states, it isn't storing that image of a square somewhere. It just exists in the state it currently is
>>
I've literally just time traveled a few minutes to the future since I first opened this thread.
I feel sorry for all the time travelets itt
>>
File: OHNO.jpg (10 KB, 298x500)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>69325323
I don't want to think about a whiteboard /g/uys..
i can hear the squeaky wheel from here
>>
>>69325117
Go back to red dit with your NPC repetitions.
>>
I think aliens are real
>>
We're all traveling through time right now at the rate of 1 second per second.
>>
>>69325367
This is my own idea not inspired by anything else I've ever heard someone say and this is the first opportunity I've had to use it in context.
>>
Wrong, time travel is impossible because it involves going faster than light. With time travel you could send messages faster than light, and this is fundamentally impossible.
Generally most fun things require going faster than light.
>>
>>69325097
Basically this.

As a side note, black holes do this thing called time dilation, where time is slower within their gravitational pull then it is outside of it. That's the closest thing I can think of to time travel but it's not really time travel.

>>69325437
Astonishing.
>>
>>69325437
Correct, but we're not all doing it at the same time. If we all lived 900 billion years in the exact same situation, some of us would be older than others if we met up.
>>
>>69325258
i believe there are more universes than ours out there, but stand alone. i guess they can merge like galaxies.
>>
>>69325036
gravity influences time.
https://youtu.be/1ENkP0h8nAg
(You) can thank me later.
>>
>>69325117
>If you traveled six months into the future, you'd be in space and the earth would be on the other side of the sun lmao
Lmao, do you even astrophysics? You would be so fucking far from the sun you would think it's your dick.
Not only the Earth moves around the Sun, but the sun, and even the galaxy moves too.
We aren't in a circle, it's a retarded spiral
>>
>>69325538
>implying the galaxy isn't moving too

But really, what is it moving in relation to?
>>
>>69325538
Technically, the Earth stays in the exact same fixed point in space forever.
The stars and galaxies and everything else just move around it.
Prove me wrong objectively.
>>
>>69325490
But they would all share a single spacetime. Maybe the laws of physics are different and some spacetimes are "weirder" than others, but they would all be moving at a constant rate and you wouldn't be able travel backwards through that
>>
>>69325286
Killing yourself or anyone in the past would be like scratching a tape. It's just a replay of the past events, you can't change what already happened.
>>
>>69325286
That's the paradox. It has no real answer because it's not possible
>>
>>69325036
>>aliens are impossible because if they were possible we would have already witnessed aliens

I hate this logic.
>>
I'm actually a time traveller, ama.
>>
>>69325357
Come on dude you dint have to do that, now I hear the squeaky wheels too
>>
>>69325642
>Heavier than air flight is impossible because if it was possible we would have already witnessed it
BTFO
>>
>>69325036
You can't travel at the speed of light because to get even 60% close to it your ship would need to be 99.9999% fuel, which is impossible since your ship isn't made of rocket fuel and neither are you.
>>
>>69325671
why not make ship size of the sun then?
>>
>>69325671
>not collecting and using fuel as you travel
kek
>>
>>69325642
>>>aliens are impossible because if they were possible we would have already witnessed aliens
We literally have, tho
>>
>>69325471
>dilation
What the fuck is dialation
>>
>>69325036
They kept time traveling back and forth until the changes on the timeline they made eventually had the consequence of time traveling never being invented.
>>
>>69325634
You're assuming that reality gets stored somewhere after it happens. Even if that was true, let's say that you're able to go back to 1970. What determines which of these timelines is in the here and now? Are we living in 1970? Or 2019?

It's easy and useful to think of time as linear, like a car driving down a long road, with the movement of the vehicle representing the passage of time. But really that road is evaporating behind the car and being rebuilt in front of it. That long stretch of road is imprinted anywhere. It isn't permanent. At best you can get the guy in the back seat to draw pictures of what he saw along the way. That's the equivalent of our history books and memories.

>>69325716
What your mom has to do to her crusty, unused cunt to keep it from scabbing over and closing up.
>>
>>69325036
>Travel forward in time and steal futuristic tools and tech with instructions
>Travel back to current timeline
>Leave the shit there
>Go forward again to your current time
>Civilization advanced at an even greater rate
>Do it again over and over

Would this work you think?
>>
>>69325654
Does /g/ ever get mods?
>>
>>69325626
i agree, i didn't mean to advocate time travel, just that i believe that we are not the only universe out there. some others might be way older, others way younger. but we probably will never know.
>>
>>69325744
Yeah I think so too, I mean it only makes sense given what we know now.

What really gives me cold sweats is thinking about what's beyond the quantum foam that universes are popping in and out of. Is it infinite? Why? Why is there anything at all? Can nothing even exist? Even if we were just part of a simulation, what's beyond their universe?
>>
>>69325736
No. What happens to your original timeline?
>>
>>69325781
It just keeps getting more advanced
>>
>>69325036
The answer to the question you will make 493 days, 7 hours and 2 minutes from now is
>magnets
>>
>>69325792
I mean the future you left when you went to the past. You've split the timeline there. What happened to all those events that originally lead up to you going back in time? Do they vanish? That can't be, because they had to have happened in order for you to go back in time. And so on.
>>
>>69325654
When will anime become real?
>>
>>69325801
Don't you mean
>Miracles
>>
>>69325809
Anon, I..
>>
>>69325683
that would actually work in empty
space
t. ksp engineer
>>
>>69325813
Nope. We find out how they work eventually.
>>
>>69325736

You cant travel back to your original timeline once you leave it because it breaks the fundemental law of cause and effect. Everybody makes the assumption time travel is impossible because it would break reality, and they are half right it would break reality, but it doesnt if you leave your own timeline/dimension.
>>
>>69325809

Isnt anime real in our hearts?
>>
>>69325742

I call them /g/ods
>>
Also many worlds interpretation anon and gravity anon are on the right track.
>>
>>69325731
Assuming that if you've gained an ability to time travel you've already ascended to the godhood and don't live in the normal biological sense.
>Even if that was true, let's say that you're able to go back to 1970. What determines which of these timelines is in the here and now? Are we living in 1970? Or 2019?
That's a paradox. If the past reality isn't stored anywhere and only exists in the current moment or a very short time frame (like a buffer) there will be nothing there if we go back in time.
>>
>>69325847
Nice sci-fi tropes, brainlet.
>>
>>69325878
I want it real in my life. When can I hold my waifu's hand? When can I have a real conversation with her? When can I cuddle with her at night? When can she bear my child?
>>
>>69325036
it may be possible we just obliterate ourselves before we invent it
>>
It isn't profitable because of the butterfly effect.
>tfw capitalism is the only thing stopping us from traveling through time.
>>
>>69325323
>Think of a whiteboard, now draw a square on the board. Erase the square and draw a circle.

>Now If you want the whiteboard to show a square, do you have to go BACK IN TIME? No, you simply change the state again by erasing and drawing another square.

>The whiteboard has states but it has no "memory" of the previous states, it isn't storing that image of a square somewhere. It just exists in the state it currently is

are we looking at this the wrong way then? what if time travel is meant to exist in our minds
>>
File: 1454784230949.jpg (93 KB, 500x500)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>69325809
when he build it ... they will come ...
>>
>>69325902

How can you prove my reality right now and your reality are the same reality? Why do you make the assumption they are?

Perhaps if i took a gun to my head right now and pulled the trigger, from your perspective i blow my brains out, but from my perspective every bullet is a dude or a misfire or the primer doesnt work?
>>
time is a man-made concept to describe human perception of reality. you can't travel idea
>>
>>69325978
>primer
I don't know if it was intentional, but that's the most realistic time travel movie ever.
>>
>>69325773
>What really gives me cold sweats is thinking about what's beyond the quantum foam that universes are popping in and out of. Is it infinite? Why? Why is there anything at all? Can nothing even exist? Even if we were just part of a simulation, what's beyond their universe?
not trying to trigger a discussion with the fedoras, but this is why scientists become at least agnostic the deeper they dive into matters like this.
>>
>>69325565
Based darkages poster
>>
File: 1539215028917.png (337 KB, 1144x888)
337 KB
337 KB PNG
>>69325978
What you're suggesting is multiple realities that intersect in places with each other. And that would present many of the same paradoxes that time travel would bring about.

So basically, do you have any evidence to back up your claim? Go ahead and shoot yourself in the face to prove me wrong if you'd like.
>>
>>69326020
>What you're suggesting is multiple realities that intersect in places with each other.

You familiar with Langans Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe?
>>
>>69325036
The world we live in is inherently in a 'resolved' state, one way or another
Either we all change timelines when alterations occur, the time traveler(s) change timelines independently of us, or there's some other explanation. Or we have seen them, but an extensive cover-up was able to hide that. Really, there's no way to be sure when we're talking only theoretically.
>>
>>69326068
>Either we all change timelines when alterations occur, the time traveler(s) change timelines independently of us,

There are some smart fuckers on the chans.
>>
>>69326085
Is DK Pepper still the drink of the chosen intellectuals?
>>
>>69326085
Staying up late does that to you I guess
>>69326102
Actually yeah, I've had 2 liters of it tonight. I feel like shit though
>>
>>69325097
>unresolvable logical paradoxes
lol, you are watching too much tv
>>
>>69326000
Yeah it just doesn't add up. I can accept the idea of God if by god we mean "entity that orchestrated this simulation or universe", but such a being would have to have a creator as well, which makes calling it "god" not very productive so I just tell people I'm not religious
>>
>>69326112
2 liters of soda will do that to you. Ditch it for water, you'll feel way better
>>
>>69326000
well, pic related claimed that he experienced the absolute state (before the sense of I and the universe arise)

Also, he said, if you follow his instructions, you can know it too.

If anyone in modern times is an enlightened guru who knows the truth of the universe, it is this guy.
>>
>>69326113
Prove me wrong protip you can't
>>
>>69326116
you aren't religious. You're logical.
>>
>>69325978
Do you guys have the berenstein bears?
>>
>>69326141
you'll never invent a time machine with water.
>>
>>69326149
>Prove me wrong protip you can't
I don't believe in time, so how can I believe in time travel and try to proof you wrong.
>>
>>69325036
how would we know they were time travelers?
>>
>>69326143
It's all a bunch of woo woo to hide the fact that you're just telling your organic meat computer to squirt some chemicals that make you feel like you've accomplished whatever you're trying to do. It's the same as LSD or shrooms

I mean, YEAH MAAAN OPEN YOUR THIRD EYE WOOOO
>>
>>69326158
Are you being cheeky and we're talking about spacetime, or are you saying you literally don't believe that the universe changes state?
>>
>>69325036
If time travel were possible then it'd be a natural phenomena and thus would occur naturally in the universe and thus there would be no causality and thus there would be no universe
>>
>>69326168
Oh no, this guy doesn't sprout this kind of woo woo shit.

I'm gonna paraprhase him, but as far I understood his teaching, he says that
>all there is is pure awareness (it's the building block of the universe)
>pure awareness is aware, but not concious of it self (it's the perfect state)
>the sense of conciseness arises spontaneously and awareness (which his you) starts to identify with a body-mind
>the body-mind creates the universe in which it experiences its limitations
>>
There's no such thing as "time" or timelines. Stop being retarded.
>>
File: 1546931117044.png (105 KB, 798x920)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>69325036
But we travel in time constantly.
You can even adjust the speed by increasing or decreasing your brain's activity.
Going to sleep is like fast-forwarding your life.
>>
>>69326153

In my timetime Macaulay Culkin died in the early 2000s of a drug overdose.
>>
>>69326177
>the universe changes state
it does change state, but it does it in the eternal NOW (which is only what exists)

the past and future are concepts
>>
>>69326187
>if computers were real they would be natural
>>
>>69326141
It was technically free, and even if it wasn't I would still be doing it for the energy
>>69326162
Unless they have some seriously advanced technology that alters perceptions, it would probably be easy to tell if somebody was coming from 50 years or more in the future. The world then would probably be very different from how it is now, so different cultural values and behavior, slang usage/vocabulary, etc would probably be easy to pick up on for amateurs time travelers.
>>
>>69326196

In my timeline you're still a faggot.
>>
>>69326203
>In my timetime Macaulay Culkin died in the early 2000s of a drug overdose.
this, in mine too, but then I saw him recently doing youtube videos.. wtf?
>>
>>69326206
The fuck does that even mean. If there is only present, how do you delineate any two actions from each other? How do you explain the perception of time?
>>
>>69326194
I hate to say it but that's pure woo
>The body mind creates the universe
No the universe exists whether we perceive it or not
>>
>>69326233
>How do you explain the perception of time?
memory, you construct the past in your head.

The now you do not have to construct, because it is HERE right now.

Same with future, it is a different kind of concept, based on your predictions and imagination.
>>
>>69326216
sugar is a mild sedative; it does not give you energy
you take amphetamines for that
>>
>>69326244
well, the universe is in your mind. You cannot deny this. At least the universe you perceive is in your mind.

If there is a "real universe", you never saw it. You just see the mental model of it your mind creates.

Read his book, he will give you a new perspective which you cannot discard as woo
>>
>>69326248
But the past happened, in spacetime. Atoms moved and formed bonds and broke apart. This change within space is what creates the fabric of spacetime
>>
>>69326264
I'm not denying reality (the fact that they moved).

I'm just saying, now that they moved, you cannot unmove them.

You seem to claim that there is a state where they are still in the previous position (some kind of backup, and that we could "time travel" to that previous position)
>>
>>69325517
Your point being? Gravity cannot reverse time, it can slow down the observed universe, thus giving the impression of slower time, not reversed time.
>>
>>69326202
That's more like time coming to you, sleeping doesn't make it happen at a different rate
>>
>>69326307
>what is negative gravity
>>
>>69326337
>nonexistent
Dark Matter and Energy are currently purely theories. And a negative Gravity would accelerate the observed time, not slow it down.
>>
>>69325071
So looking at any photo is time travel?
>>
There is no past or future. Just the present 'now' moment. Everything exists as present. Time is a human concept that really does not exist.
>>
>>69326332
Honestly I don't believe there is such a thing as an absolute time.
We use vibrations from quartz to measure time, but I'm pretty sure every living creature has a (slightly) different sense of time.
It changes depending on your own brain, if you're old it moves much faster than when you're young.
Maybe for plants time also moves much faster than for us.
>>
>>69326143
How could Hindu and Buddha got it right with wanting to discover the secret of universe and attained higher knowledge through meditating, etc?
Does Christian and Islam got something similar?
>>
>>69327603
Well, Jesus's sayings could be out of a zen textbook.

Specially if you read the Gospel of Thomas. I think I even saw some of those sayings in books about zen.

So yes, there are christian mystics (look up Meister Eckhart - a 13 century monk). There are also islamic traditions with mysticism, but don't know much about it.

It's just, adwaita vedanta seems to be the easiest to grasp for intellectual people. But it is all a theory, until you experience it yourself.
>>
>>69325036
we are in the timeline where there is no time travel and op is a faggot
>>
>>69325036
>True
In the case where there is no multiverse. Which means there would be no time travel because to create a different outcome of any kind is to create a universe where something is different than the first

>False
Because in your universe nobody ever came back to the past to do or see anything. This does not mean it hasn't happened to other universe.

Basically time travel exists because the multi verse exists stating that there are an infinite amount of universes with infinite probabilities. In infinite number of universes exist where time travel was discovered and controlled and an infinite amount of universes exist where time travel is impossible to ever achieve.

Tl;Dr stop wasting time
>>
Closed time loops are possible in general relativity, although they require improbable setups. I'm personally more interested in retrocausality. It just seems logical and elegant.
>>
>>69325111
Trips confirm. Time travel isn’t time travel, per se, but rather jumping between any one of an infinite number of parallel universes where the timeline is skewed by any given number of years. Or, if one considers that every binary choice creates a fork in timelines, the mere action of “time traveling” essentially creates a new timeline for you to travel to that keeps you from fucking up the timeline that you came from.
>>
>>69327739
>retrocausality
what does that mean? That we can change our mind about the past and actually change the past.

This would mean that the universe is a mental creation, influenced by conciseness/living organisms.

Much like a shared dream. Thats why it seems consistent, because we share it lol

also, would explain this >>69326203
>>
>>69325286
>>69325640
It's only a paradox if it could happen, which it couldn't.

The fact that you're in the future means that you didn't go back in time and kill yourself. If you tried you'd not be successful.
>>
>>69327586
>I don't believe there is such a thing as an absolute time
Thank you genius, we've known that since 104 years
>>
File: wojak_power.jpg (31 KB, 460x687)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>69325036
>time exists
Why do people believe this?
>>
>>69327846
video recorders. They made people believe it is possible to rewind reality as well.

Before video recorders were a thing, there was no such thing as a concept of linear time
>>
>>69327787
>what does that mean?
All physical processes are symmetrical in time(well, technically in CPT but you get the idea), but all this time we assumed only the past can affect the future - an asymmetry. Retrocausality means that the future can affect the past as well. This easily explains entanglement for example.
>>
You're traveling through time and space right now at a nice comfortable 66,600 mph and 1 second per second.
>>
>>69327855
>future can affect the past

wouldn't that create infinite recursion.
>futer variable changes
>past variable changes
>new future variable changes
>new past variable changes
>>
>>69327855
>This easily explains entanglement
No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle.
>>
>>69325548
Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>69325036
Quantum Break explained this pretty well desu
It said that the furthest past you can go to is the date of Time Machine's activation. In the game the machine is activated in 1999, so the protagonist cannot travel to, say, 1998.
>>
>>69327823
Then you should understand that it does flow at a different rate when you sleep, since it's all in your head.
Time literally only exists as you perceive it, if you wouldn't perceive it it would not exist at all.
>>
>>69328045
>if you wouldn't perceive it it would not exist at all.
this, that's why I don't believe in death.

>physical body dies
>you loose conciseness
>55 billion years pass
>you gain new body and conciseness

In your experience, you just went from 1 body to another. So, not even suiciding can help you.
>>
>>69325971
go back
>>
>>69327889
There are infinities everywhere in the quantum world, renormalization gets rid of them.
>>69327900
Fuck off.
>>
>>69325665
We knew it's not impossible since birds do it.
>>
>>69325036
time travel is possible but it depends what kind of theory about relativity you believe. for example if you believe there aren't alternative realities, then a time travel like that of back to the future is impossible. if you believe there is only one reality (ours) then time travel its possible even by science's standards but kinda pointless because that would mean that there is no way to change the future or better said the future is already written. i know; its hard to understand single timeline time travel but its the most plausible form of time travel by today's science
>>
>>69327900
>There is no "quantum" anything,
Explain Casimir effect then.
>>
>>69325036
>Who is Mike Pence
>>
>>69325036
Time is a social construct
>>
>Time travel is impossible
Mostly true. Traveling back in time is impossible. Forward is possible.
>because if it were possible we would have already witnessed time travelers
false
>>
>>69325036
Totally true. If tine travel were possible, my future self woukd already have brought it back for me.
>>
>>69325036
We're the timeline they didnt visit.
>>
File: 1520458269117.jpg (63 KB, 500x500)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>69325437
>tfw using this 4chan time machine for years
>it only goes forward and it makes it seem time goes faster every year
>can't go back so I end up stuck as an older, shittier version of myself
Make it stop
>>
>>69325036
False under the assumption that future time traveling humans have enough awareness and intelligence to not change the future they've started from by getting seen in the past.
>>
>>69325565
This is true, but can also be true for every other euclidean point in the universe. Its just a matter is perspective.
Quantum thinking and reasoning is needed to understand time travel. Which ultimately leads you to a god/singularity. Debating physical time travel is faggotry.
>>
>>69328781
Time is just movement and a position in euclidean space, with distance/rate change being measured and calculated.
>>
>>69325048
Actually relativity is the theory that suggests it's possible
>>
>>69325437
Not if you're traveling at some speed. Atomic clocks in planes eventually end up out of sync with their counterparts on the ground
>>
>>69328045
>Time literally only exists as you perceive it, if you wouldn't perceive it it would not exist at all.
Yeah because it's known causality cease to exist when we're not looking, right?
You've got cause and consequence, then you've got time as it gives you a chronology of events.
>>
Past Present and Future are abstract ideas that do not really exist.
Time is a measurement. Distance and velocity and changes in these variables are used to calculate/create time.
This is how a clock works, both analog and digital. Both use space and velocity in a mechanical or electrical circuit to create a repetitive counting device.Spinning. Before this time was created with day and night. Spinning.
Time is a manifestation and can be manipulated, but there is no such thing as "time travel", it is always just "space travel". The direction of the arrow is the only thing that boggles our minds still. god points the way.
>>
>>69325097
unless time is written like a vhs tape and the traveller can only observe but not interact.
but most likely not possible
>>
>>69328934
>it is always just "space travel"
It's space-time travel, you can't dissociate them.
You're always moving in both space and time
>>
>>69325036
I quantum computing experiment just proved that time isn't linear on the sub atomic particle level. They were able to get two events that must happen sequentially (must happen one after the other, not at the same time) to occur in two different orders at once. A>B and B>A at the same time. Which one happened first? Neither. Basically an expansion of the two slit experiment. Photons existing in two places at once, yada yada.

So yea, that kinda implies that time travel may be a little bit more possible than we think. Sort of. Only for really tiny particles doing really tiny events. But that could be utilized for something much bigger, potentially.
>>
>>69325036
What if you could send data packets into the past ? You could then compress your memories and send it to your brain in the past thus sending your mind to the past.
>>
>>69328986
>Photons existing in two places at once
> two places at once
Nice meme, but that's not what quantum theory says.
>>
>>69325471
It's not just black holes. Anything moving fast slows down time. Not by a lot, but it is in fact measurable. They put an atomic clock on a high speed train and sent it on a loop for months. When it stopped, it was milliseconds off from another atomic clock it was synched with originally. The closer you get to the speed of light, the slow time moves. So you COULD TOTALLY go forward into the future. But IMO you really might not want to. There is probably no coming back.
>>
can time speed up/slow down to any rate, or is there a limit where it would start causing problems with reality?
>>
>>69329021
Moving at the speed of light will stop time, or being near any intense source of gravity.
>>
>>69329077
>Moving at the speed of light will stop time
For you, not for the outside. But since you have mass you can't move at the speed of light.
>>
>>69329019
Yes it does. It may be a simplification of whats going on, but it's a useful way of describing what is observed. A single photo can go through two slits in two different places at once. Kinda seems like it was it two places at once huh? You can further clarify that it "split" or whatever else the fuck is happening, but I'm still describing it in the way that most people find useful. So fuck off.
>>
At what point does the present become the past?
>>
>>69329102
No it doesn't.
You're trying to give a physical reality to probabilistic scenarios describing a particular system.
Best way to word it would be that it's AS IF it were at two places at once (which is mathematically true when describing the system as long as you don't observe it)
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31 KB, 694x968)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>69325036
>>>/x/
>>
>>69329099
Well obviously not for the outside. And if you could distort space time in front of and behind you like riding a wave, you could, in theory travel at the speed of light without breaking relativity.
>>
>>69325286
All the time between your past self and future self would still save you.
You would be outrunning your own non existance
>>
>>69325036
True.
>>
>>69325097
theres ways that do not create any paradoxes

i guess laws of thermodynamics would have to be inaccurate in some way but its not like any theories / "physical laws" are set in stone anyways
>>
"Time travel" by itself doesn't make sense. If I was able to travel backwards in time x years I'd probably find myself suffocating in space. Really, what's meant by "time travel" is actually "spacetime travel", which adds a little more complexity to the viability of it being possible.
>>
Isnt time an arbitrary, made up concept we created to help us understand things? As that anon said things dont have a memory, have states, the last minute isnt stored anywhere so you cant 'go there' maybe its possible to slow or speed up our perception of time but you cant travel.
>>
>>69325036
I would modify it slightly:
>All the time traveling that will ever be done, has already been done.
>>
>>69330188
Every surviving concept in the history of humanity is invented and transmitted culturally. Time is one of those concepts and proved relevant to make references about past, present and future events. At some point, scientists studied and revised that concept because the common perception of time wasn't sufficient to explain how light behaves the way it does. But it doesn't change anything in our daily lives. Common sense still applies there.
>>
>>69325036
>>>/x/
>>
>>69326369
Looking live at the actual scene is already looking in the past.
>>
File: timetravel.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>69326369
>>69325071
Really makes you laugh
>>
>travel 1 second back in time
>earth is now 400km away from you
wtf I hate time travel now
>>
>>69330188
>things don't have states
Actually they do and there is a finite number of them, if you go far enough you should find a clone of yourself.
>>
>>69331195
See >>69329665
>>
>>69325323
But it is not the same square.
If you cut lizards tail and it regrows, it is not the same tail even though it looks the same.
>>
>>69325117
>mfw time travel is possible but all the travelers got the target destination a little bit wrong and are floating in space or embedded 300 miles underground
>posted from 20 minutes in the future and my face is on another board
>>
>>69325036
If it's possible, the people who developed it understand the ramifications and organize a time police, which covers up all time traveller sightings. And it's 100% reliable b/c if they fail they can go back in time and try again till they succeed.
>>
>>69325036
For time travel to actually be possible, causality requires that it has already occurred and is part of the timeline. Branching multiverse theory follows this as well.
The issue is that if time travel is actually possible, then that implies that everything in the universe has a set path that must be followed, and there is no free will or choice. If there is free will, then the very act of traveling back in time would alter the future and result in a different future that causes the choice to travel back in time to never be made, etc. This requires branching timelines to exist to prevent the universe coming undone in a causality loop of event, undone event, event. Even then, if branching time lines are possible, it becomes a necessity to that new timeline that the past and future of the originating timeline is set and cannot be altered.
So pick your poison, either everything in the universe is set and must/will occur, or travel to the past is impossible.
>>
>>69325036
Physicist here.
The statement itself is false, lack of known time travelers can be explained by various reasons: we never discovered how to do it, Interacting with past events causing the act of time travel is a major physical violation, we live in too boring times for travelers to visit us etc.
Now for the possibility of time travel, we simply don't know. General relativity kinda allows it if doesn't change your own timeline, that is either you exit in the point in time in a point in space where you can't influence anything leading to your travel (outside of its lightcone) or you can but it also happened in your past (event causing itself, so called closed timeloops, theoretically possible near hypothetical naked singularities, however bit iffy). Quantum physics as of now can't describe time travel in any way, so who knows.
All in all, right now we can just say "maybe possible, just rare or not found occuring naturarily", even though it introduces some issues with our current understanding of casusality.
>>
false
>>
>>69327548
>Time is a human concept that really does not exist.

Why do we grow older and eventrually die if time doesn't exist?
>>
>>69325036
false, comparable with stating: if kangaroos are possible, why do I not see them? (assuming you are not seeing kangaroos.)
>>
>>69327603
Islam has mystical orders with esoteric doctrines as for instance sufism and Christianity had various mystics and "heretic" groups like the gnostics.
>>
>>69325548

In relation to other objects in the universe, as for example in relation to other galaxies. But also the objects inside our galaxy ar moving in relation to each other like our sun in relation to a given other sun inside our galaxy.
>>
>>69332307
All your states from youth till death exist simultaneously, and transition in time is just an illusion.
>>
>>69325048
it's possible only backwards, but not forwards, can't travel to what doesn't exist yet
>>
>>69328971
Time is still just what is experienced. It does not exist physically. The unfolding of "events" in a universal direction does. Time exists not until observed.
>>
>>69330806
Underrated
>>
>>69325683
>>69325671
You are thinking about this wrong... Size doesnt matter, weight does. You need a very dense fuel, or a fuel that you can compress extremely well. Then you could build a space vessel thats
relatively small, but have a really large amount of energy stored inside in a compact way.
>>
>>69332557
Space is still just what is experienced. It does not exist physically. The unfolding of "space" in a universal direction does (expansion). Space exists not until observed.
>>
>>69326207
But they are anon... You are basically a computer. That doesnt mean that the fag you replied to is right, both of you dont really understand that life is the universes way to combat entropy.
>>
>>69325120
>>69325048
>>69325036
>>69325071
Traveling backwards in time just means moving every single particle in the universe back to its previous position.
It's obviously futile to try and do but there's nothing that theoretically prevents it from happening except the increase of entropy and the energy required to perform such a monumental task would only release more energy and defeat itself.
>>
>>69332307
>>69332376
Based and watchmenpilled
>>
If I magically had a way to reverse all the particles of the universe to a previous state precisely, ignoring the energy required to do this, have I traveled back in time?

Or have I simply recreated the past while still existing in the future? In a way, I've gone one step "backwards" back towards the Big Bang, but then has more time really passed since the Big Bang or is it an illusion?
>>
>>69329016
If you can send back data, you can send back anything. Everything in this universe is information, even matter.
>>
>>69332376

lies
>>
Can time be measured by the density of the universe relative to its density in the Big Bang?
A better way to put this: is time just the size of the universe? A measure of how much space it has?
>>
That supposes that the future has happened op.
>>
>>69326216
Why would you go to earth if you're a time traveler? Especially during this age. We're boring as fuck.
>>
>>69332726
The future is deterministic.
>>
>>69325036
Time travel into future is perfectly possible
>>
>>69325447
if thats true you should lurk moar
>>
>>69325323
reddit formatting but very good post
>>
>>69325323
Entropy only grows, it does not go back. We can only move further from the Big Bang, not back, because going back means expending more energy making it impossible.
>>
>>69332764
He supposes. It doesn't mean it has happened yet anyway. Just that it will.
And we don't know what happens if you were to travel back in time. Maybe there's many methods with different consequences.
>>
>>69325036
Maybe time travel is possible, it's just that we all die before it's possible.
>>
>>69332938
>>69332870
How does my argument here >>69332637
not disprove time travel backwards?
>>
If the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, aren't we all traveling forward in time exponentially faster every moment, without feeling it?
>>
Is there a principle like inertia but for time?
>>
>>69333088
Inertia means exactly that standing still is indistinguishable from moving.
>>
>>69333068
The space between the universe is expanding, not the matter itself.

Time can be thought of as changes to particles. Regardless of the expansion, the particles change at similar rate. However due to expansion of the space and possible some points in the universe having different rate of expansion, relative time between the two points in space will seem to have difference in time.
>>
>>69332507
>but not forwards
You're an idiot. Traveling forward in time is super easy. Just go really really fast or go chill near something massive like a black hole
>>
>>69332753
Personal reasons, or to avert certain events. Or maybe there's an intergalactic treaty.
>>
>>69325654

1. How does time travel work;

2. What is its power source

3. What time are you from

4. Are you from our universe

5. Can i have a ride
>>
>>69332613
Yes this is also true. Space-time is a theory. Im just trying to state that most people misinterpret what 'time' really is. For humans our current 'god' is laws of thermodynamics.
Does conscious exist within? or 'out there'. Not a rhetorical question, you seem to know what you're talking about. I'm just shootin the shit.
>>
File: 1483625891710.png (34 KB, 876x696)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
You're not asking the REAL questions.
>>
>>69333051
It presumes time travel changes the state of the universe broadly. With nothing to support that's how it works other than a fully reasonable expectation that we work from our current understanding.

You can't really prove time travel wrong in general because it supposes we know everything. Anyone who seriously suggests time travel has grounded themselves enough to be addressed.
>>
>>69332705
I cannot think of time as anything but a measure now. Relative states and positions of matter/antimatter is all that 'matters'. The universal fractal.
Time is human cope.
>>
>>69332753
>Why would you go to earth if you're a time traveler?

where else would you go?
>>
>>69332507
are you retarded? there are literally people on this earth who have already "time traveled" to the future, you moron.
>>
>>69325036
Time travel is impossible because you can't go past the speed of light with our current understanding of physics.

Also we don't have a decided model of time, so time travel might be discovered, but each trip back might cause a branch in timelines.

But the most commonly accepted theory of time is that the past and future don't exist, it's just a constant present that changes in characteristics. In that case, there is no past or future to "go" to.
>>
>>69333314
You're a time traveler. Have a look around and see.
>>69333178
>intergalactic treaty
Still doesn't help earth being boring.
I find it boring now. How boring do you think someone who has time travel abilities, and lesser technology by implication, would find earth?
>>
>>69332507
The other way around. It's a one-way street but you can accelerate the speed you're going and end up farther in the future with less time.
>>
What was the first fiction that involved time travel?
>>
>>69332632
This doesn't make sense. The universe doesn't have a goal (at least not scientifically) and physics dictates life doesn't defeat entropy, by such a margin that it's not even a battle. Either life happened by chance and its effects on entropy are trivial and inconsequential (more likely) or life happened by some sort of intelligent purpose and our future understanding of physics will come to indicate entropy can in fact be reversed and the universe can go on forever (less likely).

Or, alternatively, our AI overlords will discover, long after we've died, how to reverse entropy and, wishing to finally answer the final question we had before we went extinct, resets the universe as a benevolent god (Asimov likely)
>>
>>69332705
>Can time be measured by the density of the universe relative to its density in the Big Bang?
>is time just the size of the universe? A measure of how much space it has?
It may be one way to look at it on a global scale.
We know that 2 things affect time.

It works for gravity if you look at a "spacetime grid". Curvature will be caused by density and thus you can deduce how dense the universe is IF you have a point of reference with a "flat grid" which will be harder the younger the Universe you look at is.

But it doesn't account for speed.
We know that the universe is expanding.
We also know there's a distance threshold after which space and the objects within are moving away from us faster than light.
They are there but you can't have a spacetime grid accounting for them from Earth (even though you can notice their gravitational effects for those close to the border).

If the universe expansion keeps accelerating, then time itself will become meaningless, as all particles will simply cease to exist and everything will be made of lone "energy" packets interacting with nothing.
No interaction = no time as there is nothing happening ever and no way to measure it.
>>
>>69325847

As long as it is 99.99% within the Universe i left who cares. I want to time travel to the past for le Tourism,

i also want to go 100 years in the future to see how it turned out. It's Either Star Trek or Fallout. if it's star trek i can take it easy, everything got fixed; if its fallout, then nothing matters
>>
>>69333336
Time, light, models... These are all human coping mechanisms and explanations. It is just a subjective understanding. "light" is a manifestation of the mind, from the eyes being excited by energy. It is the frequency of life and consciousness. all degrading matter gives off energy(light).
the push/expand/degration of the universe is what is not understood. quantum theory, the ether, antimatter, they are all just trying to explain "god" with the scientific method.
christ is the light and the way.
god is the push.
the spirit is consciousness.
all religions have a better concept of "time" than most "scientists".
its all mental masturbation past syncing our watches.
>>
>>69333476
It sure would be easier if God is real.
Because then who cares about time, death, or anything.
He'll just reset the Universe when he's bored.
Which would actually explain how the hell everything magically appeared and was contained within a single point inside nothing and then decided to expand and become everywhere
>>
>>69326157
>you'll never invent a time machine with water.

The Basic Building blocks of a Time Machine are there right now, in public. And, supposedly the US Russia and China are all working on it in different projects classed under different names

Quantum Satellite
Quantum Radar
Closed Timelike Curves

and take care of your health, Jesus

>>69326162
>how would we know they were time travelers?

you wouldnt, cause they wouldnt stand on a corner saying:

"Hey Past'ern Tards in from 2063; LOL your time is so Gay LOL"
>>
>>69333585
God isnt a person place thing or idea.
he is the alpha and omega. the beginning and the end. Matter and antimatter.
We were created in the image of god, just as computers/ai were created in the image of mankind. where is the beginning and end of this cycle? are we god? are we computer ai? are we human?
God is the universe and is the consciousness you share with humankind. It was the understanding of the universe and still is.
Science is now just coming full circle with the idea of god with quantum theory and computing.
Atheism is ignorance.
>>
>>69333697
>with the idea of god with quantum theory
Oh so you're just memeing
>>
>>69333697
looking back at my post, even with the english language it is almost impossible to personify god. which is the greatest fault of man.
the ego of mankind is the greatest restriction.
>>
>>69326203

I want to live in the timeline where Home Alone was never made and No one has ever heard of Marriah Carey
>>
>>69333714
*to not personify
>>
Time travel to the past is impossible.

Time travel to the future is as simple as placing yourself in cryostasis and awakening in X years, provided your capsule is still preserved.
>>
>>69326353
>are currently purely theories
So's gravity. Don't confuse theory for hypothesis.
>>
File: tenor (1).gif (690 KB, 498x278)
690 KB
690 KB GIF
>>69333618
>and take care of your health, Jesus
i-its not that you have to take care of m-me
>>
ask me anything
>>
>>69325036
but we have already witnessed time travelers, Trump is one
>>
>>69333889

1. How does your time machine work

2. What is its power source

3. What time are you from

4. Are you from our universe

5. Can i have a ride
>>
>>69333941
1 - compiling time points from source
2 - gentoo
3 - tomorrow
4 - i think so
5 - sure, where to broski?
>>
>>69325036
False. If people had that technology, they would surely be able to hide from us.
There are much better reason why time travel is impossible in the classical sense.
>>
>>69333276
>would you let your future/past self fuck your wife
NO, that would still be cuckoldry
>>
>>69334180
But would you fuck your future/past wife if given the chance?
>>
>>69333697
>>69333714
Why is every all-encompassing explanation of the nature of God always sounding like mumbo-jumbo? I have utmost respect for the religious sentiment, but you're only making a fool of yourself when trying to put it into words. But at least, you're aware of it, unlike many other.

I think what's more interesting, without sounding wrong, is to show how the word "God" is used in everyday language, it's very insightful on how the concept of godliness can live in society.
>>
>>69325036
Not true, since there are a billion ways a time travel event could happen and not be detected, from parallel timelines to assumed failures coupled with secrecy, to counteracting forces (timecops could come before a timetraveler comes and kill him before he does anything noticeable, then a team could come after the timecops to cleanup their traces).
However the likelihood that time travel is possible given that we have seen no plausible evidence of a time travel event yet is infinitely close to 0.
Assuming of course we don't do the useless thought exercise of considering forward time travel.
>>
>>69333697
I feel like, this universe is a model of God. Since God cannot see himself, he creates a model (mirror image) of himself and looks at it.

Since every model is imprfect, that is cannot represent the actual phenomena perfectly, so is this universe imperfect, while God remains perfect..
>>
Friendly reminder that John Titor was legit.
http://www.paranoiamagazine.com/2014/04/original-john-titor-posts-post2post-art-bell-forum-part-1/
>>
>>69334196
>but would you fuck your future/past wife if given the chance?
no, I would feel bad for my other self cucking him. I wouldn't fuck your wife either for the same reason.

Do not unto others what you wouldn't like them to do unto you.
>>
>>69325323
Just save and transfer state! Through quantum entanglement, you can transport at the atomi level. Not “time travel”, but it’s the closest we will got. Also, quantum entangling an entire object is still Star Trek sci-fi.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.