[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: zivvyqr2hedpqqo1ukjb.jpg (140 KB, 1200x630)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Cosmo Communicator Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
http://www.gsmarena.com
http://www.phonearena.com
http://www.kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
http://willmyphonework.net
http://frequencycheck.com
https://kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
http://www.gizchina.com
http://www.gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread >>69298886
>>
File: pdsntxhgk1jy.png (602 KB, 1024x1097)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
So I have the chance to buy a 256gb iPhone X or a 64gb iPhone Xr for the same price of $650 which one should I get?

Or should I just go all in and get an XS Max for $200 more?
>>
>>69315499
Neither, you stupid Applel sheep
get the NOTE 9
actually don't, it's not for the likes of dumb, ignorant, tasteless Apple SHEEP like you.
Flip a coin, buy whatever Fruitphone you like.
>>
Is there a way to get something similar to Moto gestures on other phones, ie. chop to turn on flashlight? I don't want those shitty ways where you keep an app open in the background 24/7. Literally the best thing ever and I'm unironically considering another Moto phone because of this.
>>
>>69315557
something something itoddlers btfo

If I wanted a Note 9 I would've included it baka

I don't want an Android I want to try IOS
>>
Honor 10 Lite for just shy of £150, SIM free. Yay or nay?
>>
>>69315499
iPhone XR
+faster performance
+better camera
+longer battery life

iPhone X
+better display
+optical zoom

But really you should just go all out and get the XS Max desu
>>
>>69315557
On a somewhat related note to this, Apple really ought to rip off Samsung and do an iPhone with a built-in stylus. They've already gotten their userbase to buy into the "pencil" with iPads so it should be an easy enough sell, especially if they market it as an "iPhone Pro."
>>
>>69315648
I was thinking, $800 for a XS Max is pretty good desu

I wouldn't have to upgrade for another 4ish years. It sucks tho that I'd only have 64giggers but w/e
>>
>>69315591
You want to try something inferior? For fuck's sake, how rich are you to blow money on something for that reason? Just lol. Avoid iShit.
>>69315677
RIP boyo, enjoy your fruit.
>>
Will it work with at&t in the US?
>>
>>69315739
From the Indiegogo FAQ:
>Can the Cosmo Communicator be used in the USA?

>Yes. The Cosmo is both a CDMA and GSM 4G device and will work on T-Mobile (including new 600 MHz band) , ATT , Sprint and Verizon. The LTE final band list is not finalised and we will publish as soon as we have it.
>>
>>69315400
I wish somebody would make a case for my Note 8 that'd turn it into a device similar to this Cosmo. Wouldn't be that hard to do, and it'd be possible to make a flip mechanism that'd let you use it as a normal phone with the keyboard behind it instead of having to do this dual-screen weirdness.
>>
>>69315591
>I don't want an Android I want to try IOS
they are both OSes that open your facecuck and whatsapp. stop living the smartphone normalfag meme and just get a cheap Xiaomi.
>>
HELP ME. Should I stay with my old Galaxy S2 or buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 for silly price ?
>>
>>69316088
stick with S2 is battery still works ok, get Note 4 if it doesnt
>>
Are there any budget smartphones (e.g. <£200) with genuinely great cameras? I've realised that I barely use phones for anything other than light browsing, so as long as the processing power is adequate then I don't really care about that. The camera is the only feature which would really be a dealbreaker desu.
>>
>>69316229
Redmi Note 5 / Note 6 Pro with GCam
>>
>>69315591
if you want to try osx just get an ipod or a fucking iphone SE you sperg
>>
>>69315400
Thoughts on this

>dumping my p20 pro for £430
>buying a redmi note 6 (the 7 is currently over priced)
>>
>>69316297
Get a Pocophone
>>
>still on moto g4.
>suffing from heat issues since not long after release.
>battery drain issues
>try to use nova launcher to escape the outdate android 7 look - makes phone more laggy/non-responsive at lock screen.
>want to spend big now on flagship phones territery (looking at oneplus 6(t), note 9), but its 2019 and SD 855 is around the corner.

should i wait till summer or buy now?
>>
i've decided its time to get a new phone i have been using the iphone 4s i bought back when it came out but i recently dropped it and the screen broke. i'm looking at the honor 8x and the redmi note6 but am not sure what to. any advice?
>>
>tfw xz4 compact is canceled
FUCK THIS SHIT
>>
>>69316881
Hunger is the best spice
>>
Debloat your Mi Pad 4/4 Plus
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.browser
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.quicksearchbox
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.providers.downloads.ui
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.email
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.marvin.talkback
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.mi.liveassistant
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.milink.service
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.screenrecorder
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.systemAdSolution
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.hybrid
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.player
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.translation.kingsoft
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.virtualsim
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.bugreport
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.translation.youdao
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.notes
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.video
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.hybrid.accessory
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.daemon
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.analytics
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.cloudservice
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.cloudservice.sysbase
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.gallery
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.vsimcore
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.voiceassist
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.ab
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.jr
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.joyose
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.gamecenter.sdk.service
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.payment
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.xmsf
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.simactivate.service
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.xiaomi.gamecenter.pad
>>
>>69316360
Based Pocohomo spammer
>>
>>69317195
To add:
Do this only after you have disabled gesture in system apps -> Search
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.quicksearchbox

Do these last or you're stuck
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.fileexplorer
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.inputmethod.pinyin
>>
Best phones under $200?
>also
Xiaomi redmi 5, mi a2 lite or wait for the redmi 7 pro?
>>
>>69315557
>Get a note 9
>Samshit
Don't shill Samsung you can't even unlock your bootloader without disabling half of the phones security features permanently
>>
>>69315610
It's good
>>
>>69317447
Wait
>>
>>69317513
What security could you expect from a phone with an unlocked bootloader?
>>
>samsung making some foldable 2 battery 7"/3.5" thing
>it has to be plastic for folding
I kind of hope the folding part fails but the hardware is good enough we get a note 7 FE type situation where they are refurbished as 7" tablets with a 3.5" extra screen both AMOLED and massive fooking parallel battery that can charge one while discharging the other
make the battery replaceable and I can just never buy anything else again
>>
File: gsmarena_003.jpg (5 KB, 133x100)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I want to buy my grandparents a new smartphone. They mainly use it for text messages, phone calls and reading some articles.
I thought about the xiaomi mi a2 lite.
Anything better for less then 200$?
>>
>>69315400
im doing a little research, please help me. all you need to do is to remove case (if you have any) and wipe back of the phone with water to remove oils from skin and then smell the phone
>what phone do you have?
>what does it smell like? (be as descriptive as your vocabulary allows you)
>>
>>69315499
get a nokia n900
>>
>>69316297
why? do you need the money?
>>
>>69317779
The new Redmi Note 7 is $150 ($200 if you want it like, NOW)
>>
File: 1484080271216.jpg (46 KB, 437x501)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
The display of my Redmi Note 5 cracked after a fall, what display sellers are recomended?
>>
I have an s8 with a fucked screen and unreliable charging.

Looking at S9+ or Note9. I'd have to order and wait for the S9+ or the 512gb Note9. I can pick up the 128gb version of the Note9 today.

Are either the S9+ or 512gb Note worth waiting for?
>>
>>69318325
Parts4Repair.com is legit. I've bought parts for my Mi Max 2 and they arrived safely and as advertised.
>>
>>69318383
The touch is fine, only the screen is cracked, should I really buy only the front glass that they are selling for 4,25€ instead of the complete screen? Would those pajeet stores manage to replace it?
>>
>>69318369
Wait for S10, it's launching 20th Feb.
>>
>>69318464
The Redmi Note 5 should be simple enough to take apart that you should be able to replace the screen on your own...
>>
>>69315591
Dude it's not worth it. Years of using an iPhone because hand me downs and finally got a S9+. Feels like I just got released from shackles just because I'm able to customize more than just the fucking wallpaper.
>>
>>69318583
But on YT I see them putting the phones on pressing machines or something after the replacement.
>>
oneplus 5t, g6, v30, s8 or newer midranger under 300-400 bucks?
>>
>>69318709
just buy a pocophone
>>
>>69318750
im in the us
>>
File: Italy in future.jpg (515 KB, 1600x888)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
>>69306614
Reposting
>>
>>69318709
>>69318754
Mi8 or Mix 2S then
>>
>>69315577
>I don't want those shitty ways where you keep an app open in the background 24/7

But that's what moto gestures are, it's just that the app comes preinstalled and is "made" by "Motorola".

Fellow moto owner here btw, when is the G7, my G3's battery is dying?
>>
>>69318823
galaxy s9 has shit battery life, but xz2 compact is kind of ugly but has no audio jack. Maybe wait after the xz4 is announced. There's still some probability that the xz4 compact is around the corner
>>
File: Chinese china.jpg (1.84 MB, 2700x1800)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>69319195
Thing is that waiting for a product is kind of pointless. The market is constructed in a way that there is no perfect moment to buy.
You buy now, you get it cheap but it will be outdated in a month or two. Buy then and it will be really expensive and if you wait for another 2 months the price will drop drastically.
Then there is the next big holiday season around the corner and stores will have deals if you wait another 2 months. Suddenly some other company has their own model on the market which might do certain things a little better so just wait for another month until the price drops.
Oh, is it christmas again?

I figured I'm not too patient for this kind of stuff.

I'm going for a used phone anyway, aiming for a 300€ xz2c or a 350€ S9.
I really like the size of the compact and the chip is great + pretty near to stock android.
S9 camera is a bit better, audio quality is a bit better, it got an audio jack and it got a better screen to body ratio. I guess it's worth the extra 50 bucks but I kept looking for the last 3 days and the market doesn't seem ready just yet.
Just needed a second opinion.
>>
how much if at all will the price of the note 9 drop when the s10 comes out?
>>
>>69319476
>Suddenly some other company has their own model on the market which might do certain things a little better so just wait for another month until the price drops.
>Oh, is it christmas again?
>I figured I'm not too patient for this kind of stuff.
I'm waiting for that flat S10 as it is small, has a jack and isn't curved garbage
it can go fuck itself though if they put a pill notch in it
>>
>>69319533
>I'm waiting for that flat S10
forgot to add I plan to pay full price if they don't fuck it up and add a notch/pill
>>
>>69315832
Just get the keyboard cover case
>>
anyone want to fuck my face while i record with the camera on my new Pixel 3 XL
>>
File: 13b.gif (224 KB, 680x498)
224 KB
224 KB GIF
I'm looking to replace my S6 because the battery dies too quickly. I loved my old S5 because I could just carry around replacement batteries and never have to worry about battery life, but that isn't an option on the s6. I was looking into phones with replaceable batteries, and it seemed the best two options were the LG v20 and LG G5, but it was announced that LG will stop offering software upgrades for those two.

Is this a big deal? Or is the whole "dude your phone will be slower in 2 years" thing just FUD to convince me to buy some $800 POS
>>
>>69319742
>that sloppy work

at least make sure the text stays the right way
>>
>>69319742
have you even gotten a quote on replacing the battery from a repair shop/samsung service?
if you are happy with the software on the s6 replacing it over the battery would be like replacing your beater car over an aged battery that can't provide enough CCA rather than just buying a new battery

if its the software I can understand, its the worst fucking part about android having to pay for software updates in the form of new phones
>>
Hey guys, how do I upgrade from my HTC One M8 and not be disappointed? Nothing I see out there looks appetizing. No fucking headphone jack? Fuck off. Glass screen? Are you kidding me?
I haven't read this thread yet so don't fuck off
>>
>>69319955
Also, the battery is alright. I don't have a benchmark to compare it to. I have to charge it at least once a day. The camera is still good, I still get compliments for the quality. I love the front facing speakers. The only thing that happened recently was I dropped it in the water last year and a few months after the charging/headphone port died out on me, so I replaced it and now it seems to be very fine. Headphone port works like new as well.
I've been having some slowdown/freeze issues, so I removed features like animation and some other developer features. I don't get the slowdowns as often, and I know what causes them but they still happen at shitty times. I don't know how close this phone is to dying, but it seems to be pretty strong. I've dropped it countless times and it's only been marred by a single dent for one time I didn't have its case on.
>>
File: 1544580672083.jpg (52 KB, 596x595)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
I'm not familiar with chink phones... will the redmi note 7 work on t-mobile? Or do I have to wait for it to come out to see? Seems like people say that xiaomi phones have problems with voLTE.
>>
>>69320019
https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-redmi-note-7
Here. You can check compatibility near the bottom.
>>
>>69319533
this is exactly what I'm talking about. if I dont get a new phone now I will wait for the s10 price drop. looks too juicy to pass
>>
Pocophone F2 when?
>>
>>69317796
Is everyone going to ignore this?
>>
>>69320229
everyone ignores me because i am an inferior beta male
>>
Should i get pocophone or redmi note 7?
>>
>>69320723
nigga what kind of fucking question is that
do you need the power of snappy dragon 845? that should be plenty to pick one
>>
>>69320723
Do you need the extra ram and processing power? Go pocomeme.
Otherwise go redmi note 7. Personally if i had to choose i would go for the cheaper one and save the extra money for a midrange nubia x type phone with no bezels in the future.
>>
>>69320808
>>69320946
Thanks guys. I can remove the chinese spyware right? Will these work on japanese networks? I think pocophone is compatible with softbank, but not sure about redmi 7
>>
File: he do not enjoy it.png (111 KB, 600x342)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
Hey , I got the moto meme one, before consulting you guys, should I worry?
>>
>>69321295
Yes, it's shit
>>
>>69321295
nice b8, no one is that retarded
https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/motorola-one,xiaomi-mi-a2
>>
File: 1530386154550.gif (898 KB, 487x560)
898 KB
898 KB GIF
>>69321318
>>69321314
Its true
>>
Guys What's a max 200€ perfect phone?
>>
>>69321367
Can't you return it? Most of the stores here give 30 days return period.
>>
>>69321425
Redmi Note 5 (whyred)
>>
>>69321425
Redmi Note 5 / Note 6 Pro, though at this point it might be worth to wait for Redmi Note 7 global launch.
>>
Why are Chinese phone makers so reluctant on releasing their big phones in the west, and are there any brands besides Xiaomi and huawei releasing 7 inches phones in the near future?
I kind of wanted to buy a mi max 3 on sale but over here only the lowest end model is available and most imported chink phones don't have the proper bands for my cunt.
>>
>>69321229
Dunno haven’t tried miui, but i’m pretty sure you at least can get rid of the bloatware with adb/rooting. Checked connectivity on kimovil and both of them seem to have mediocre/ok compatibility with your country, but that is honestly for you to decide.
>>
>>69321471
I personally wish dual screen (nubia x) becomes the new notch, then 7 inches might be the standard in 2020.

They might not have the budget to advertize the hell out of their things.
>>
>>69321425
The nokia x5 is underrated imo
>>
>>69321587
I wanted to get the mate 20 X 8gb when I was In China but it lacked one band I need, now I see it's coming westward but only the base model with 6gb of ram, I hate big notches, and notches in general but it's either that one or the mi max 3 so far, I wish someone would make a widely available 7in phone with either a double screen or a retractable camera like the Nex S.
>>
>>69321687
I’ve checked out all the 7inchers and you’re basically right, the mi max 3 feels a bit old already and the huawei/honor ones have disgusting notches that kind defeat the purpose of big screen phones in general.
I consider double screens the future, forces manufacturers to make that one camera properly without wasting engineering space and money on hiding cameras or the mi mix 3 types. + extra added functionality.
>>
>>69321865
Well let's just enjoy the fact that we are part of a niche that still needs to be filled, like a girl in her prime.
>>
>>69315400
What are people's opinions on the cosmo?

On one hand it looks pretty comfy. I watched some videos on it and it doesn't look that durable, I'd be concerned about the hinge breaking. It's also fucking HUGE. Bigger than an iPhone XS. It looks like it would be difficult to pocket. And the screen on the back looks shit. So the question is does having a keyboard make up for these downsides? I'm not sold. It's sad because it looks cool but I think I'd rather have a regular phone and a UMPC
>>
>>69322126
just get a Gemini
>>
File: google.com-01-01.jpg (14 KB, 205x246)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
what phone does Chad buy?
>>
>>69322347
Pocophone
>>
Is the Redmi Note 7 really as amazing as it sounds?
I want to get a new phone but I'm really not in a position to be spending hundreds on one.
From what it looks like, the Redmi note 7 is basically a flagship phone (just without OLED screen or a top tier cpu) for a stupidly low price.
It's even got expandable memory and a headphone port.

My only real concern is about how good the cpu actually is.
Just how much better is it's SD660 going to be than my current Galaxy S4's cpu, and how much worse is it compared to the SD845 in other more expensive flagship killers like the Oneplus 6T?
I don't know anything about how mobile CPUs compare to eachother.

Also, how easy would it be to de-bloat the os for someone who has never done rooting stuff before?
As much as it's way more than i'd like to spend, I really like how close to stock Oneplus's OxygenOS is, after being stuck with samsung's bloat for so long.
Or, what are the chances of being able to flash OxygenOS onto it directly?
>>
>>69322376
>My only real concern is about how good the cpu actually is.
>Just how much better is it's SD660 going to be than my current Galaxy S4's cpu
night and day, SD660 is equivalent to the SD820 released two years ago
>and how much worse is it compared to the SD845 in other more expensive flagship killers like the Oneplus 6T?
it's worse, no dancing around it, but it's a $200 brand new phone that performs like a flagship from late '16/early '17, pisses me off they won't include B12/17 coverage and just turn the US market on it's fucking head and force these faggots to compete
no phone released in the US has the 660, and the ones on sale with the 636 now are $350-$400
>>
>>69322646
>it's a $200 brand new phone that performs like a flagship from late '16/early '17
Damn, that does sound pretty good
I don't use my phone very heavily, so something like that would likely fit me just fine, and be more than usable for a good few years

Fortunately for me, I live in aus, and the only band it's missing that's used here is B28 (700)
Not that I understand a thing about how bands work, or if missing that one will have a noticeable impact on connections
>>
>>69322768
wait a bit, the one you would need will be similar to the Redmi Note 5 I have which is the Taiwan Global version, which has B28 support
might take a bit longer for the RN7 Taiwan version to release but it will be worth it in your case, also mind you that price figured is 200USD, not AUD
>>
Running AEX 8.1 on a zuk z2..
My phone rebooted in my pocket, and is now stuck on the android loading screen. I tried wiping cache from TWRP, didn't do anything. Any ideas?
>>
>>69323106
Ah, so there likely will be a version of the RN7 that supports B28 somewhat later, nice
and yeah, I do understand it's $150/200USD, but that's still a really great price for what it is, and a lot better than paying over $800AUD for a Oneplus 6T
>>
>>69322646
>it's a $200 brand new phone that performs like a flagship from late '16/early '17
When will it be available for that price? The 3/32 version is not worth considering and currently on aliexpress the 4/64 version is being sold at $250 which is just $40 below a pocophone.
>>
>>69319513
Note 9's price will drop when the Note 10 comes out around August. At least a $200 price cut.
>>
>>69323206
the release info when it first came out said the price in China for the 6/64 was ~$207, obviously the retailers are going to put a mark-up on it, and the Global version hasn't even released yet
>>
>>69322126
I backed the original Gemini PDA. It's good. One issue: no backlighting. Of course, the Cosmo Communicator has that.

Unfortunately, the Cosmo is WAY too fucking expensive now, it's flagship tier shit. The new back display is just going to be a battery drain gimmick.

What they should have done is incorporated an entire display into the back, so you can properly use it closed. That's what the Nokia Communicators did.
>>
>>69323623
is the $799 price going to be the asking price when it finally hits their store and not IGG? I can't justify paying $400 more for a device with a keyboard when there are already P70 phones soon to be released for like $350 tops
>>
>>69323655
Yeap, it's only going to be $569 USD for a short time due to CES. $799 USD is fucking outrageous. You're mainly paying for a performance boost on a goddamn phone whose purpose is to write down text and do command line stuff. I only bought it for Ganoo/Linux and Termux in Android.

The Cosmo is really not worth it. Just get a Gemini PDA instead if you want the keyboard. If you want a Cosmo, then get it now, as it's cheaper than the Gemini PDA with the IGG discount.
>>
Hey /g/, got recommended a BLU R1 HD here a couple years back when I was brand new to smart phones and was pretty happy with it, looking for another recommendation for the next step up.

Something similar is fine, maybe a bit more power (R1 kinda struggles with games): Android/T-mobile, not very pricey preferred, I'm in the US.

Or should I just grab some other new-ish BLU phone?
>>
File: 57478258_p0.jpg (271 KB, 1032x1032)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>69316297
Redmi Note 6 is literally just a Note 5 with a notch and higher price. Why is it even an option? For 15 more dollars, the Note 7 is better in every way.
>>
File: f1_red.png (95 KB, 472x578)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>69323812
Umidigi F1 on presale right now for $199
>true Global LTE bands
>5,150 mAh battery
>18W wired quick charge
>128GB storage w/ mSD support
>USB-C
>NFC
>Helio P60 (165k on Antutu)
>headphone jack
>>
>tfw new tower installed near my home
>>
need a new phone since my x compact battery is abysmal these days.
burger
att
preferably compactish
wireless charging would be nice but not a huge deal
big battery
that's about it
$300-$400
>>
>>69324278
>big battery
>compactish
doesn't exist
>>
>>69324278
Just get a refurb note 8. Still one of the best phones out there. Fuck compact.
>>
Hey phonenerds.
My boss has a Samsung Galaxy S7, and he's getting full screen ads after he unlocks his phone.
It's obviously because of some shitter app he downloaded, but I can't tell which.
Is there any way I can help him out to get rid of this shit.
>>
Opinions on redmi note 7? Worth to upgrade from rn5?
>>
>>69324388
Just run mcafee tbqh
>>
>>69324424
like a mcafee app?
>>
>>69324452
Should be preloaded on the phone in device maintenance.
>>
>>69324414
I'd stick to my rn5 for the moment and wait for bezel-free smartphones in the next 1-2 years if I were you.
>>
>>69324490
I tried that first.
I have an iPhone so I'm not well versed, but I'm also not tech illiterate, like my boss is. I know he downloaded some sketch shit.
>>
File: 1536985067394.jpg (157 KB, 633x758)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_mobile_exec_hints_that_the_xperia_compact_line_has_been_axed-news-35037.php
>>
File: 1546909381041.jpg (637 KB, 1071x1068)
637 KB
637 KB JPG
>>69317837
is this a joke cause i really miss my n700
>>
>>69320000
holy cow i miss my HTC phones. tried apple but now finding myself looking for a comparable android.
>>
>>69315667
Maybe for XI they will do that, with the I representing the stylus.
>>
Just picked up a Galaxy Note 9 today, my carrier were doing 500 off and I was already on a plan with them so fuck why not. It's the 512GB version with 8GB RAM
Upgraded from a Huawei Nova 3i.
Have to say its a lot more refined, it's the little things like the fucking keyboard not skipping every second time you type. The AKG wired earbuds it came with are pretty decent.
Only thing is I don't have any spare USB c cables. Went to buy one while I was down the road and they wanted fucking 50 dollars for a cable.

Tryna source the hdmi adapter too and hook it up to a monitor to try the virtual PC thing whatever it's called as well.
>>
>tfw we're FINALLY getting to the point where we can ditch """maintainer""" rajeesh in favor of one image that can be flashed across multiple devices regardless of manufacturer
can't wait to get a phone with project treble support lads, gonna be comfy as fuck compiling AOSP without having to do anything in regards to drivers
>>
>>69324912
Enjoy the best mobile experience money can buy
the camera is fantastic.
>>
>>69315400
>indigogo
Enjoy your vaporware.
>>
Best phone under 400usd?
Ive seen a regular s9 for 400ish dollars here but maybe theres something cheaper and around the same quality.
>>
>>69325554
chink stuff
just pony up for an S9+, it's the best thing. Lots of offers around, and with the S10 coming next month prices will fall more.
>>
File: Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-3-1-of-24.jpg (200 KB, 1500x1000)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
NTH FOR MEME MIX 3

EVERY DAY
>>
>>69325596
>No headphone jack
>Non removable battery
>No microsd card slot
The chinks could have made the perfect phone.
>>
Pixel 2 or pixel 3
US
Verizon
>>
>>69324576
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
FUCK BIG PHONES
AND FUCK NIGGERS
>>
Why hasn't Android and Bluetooth adopted a universal "tap-to-pair" protocol for wireless devices? All these phone manufacturers are making "brave and bold" removals of the headphone jack without there being anything close to an equivalent of the plug-and-play nature of 3.5mm.
I'd be willing to tolerate the removal of the headphone jack if I could simply tap my wireless headphones to my phone and have them pair automatically with no menus.
>>
File: 1546563932337.jpg (104 KB, 1000x1430)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Anons i installed the GCam mod on my phone and i found that i could take photos in raw, but the pictures came out really crappy with green and red spots when i zoom in, can someone explain to me why smartphone cameras are so bad, yet a dslr raw looks nice.
Is it because of the small size,using subpar binned sensors etc ?
t. photography noob
>>
what is a good ad blocker on a non rooted phone?
>>
>>69326126
>green and red spots
Without looking at your photo, that could be chromatic abberration. Light of different wavelengths gets refracted by your lenses a tiny bit different, so the red and green parts of an object are not projected at the very same spots of the sensor. A good lens design can reduce that effect to a minimum, but that's harder to manufacture. Post some pics?
>>
>>69326374
i dont think my lens is defective tho, anon. you wouldnt notice it on normal photos, its probably the result of me taking photos in low light,
i would post some pics but photoshop doesnt read the dng files, so i cant convert them to jpg...
But could you explain the reason why my camera sensor sucks at raw
>>
>>69325596
Imagine actually liking the slider gimmick
>>
Trying to access data (pictures) off 4 years broken phone internal memory
LG E970, Verizon Wireless
It's stuck in a bootloop saying Security Error, power+up gives me download mode, power+down only prompts factory hard reset
Connecting to PC via USB keeps it in bootloop, it keeps installing drivers and then not doing anything else. I have the official phone driver but my PC says device not recognized
Incredibly important that data is not wiped. I've held on to this phone for 4 years waiting for some kind of answer
>>
>>69325439
its gotta be the logical conclusion to the big screen, black slate paradigm
lod of storage, no notch, tonnes of ram and 8 core processor, waterproof, fingerprint scanner on the back, still has a headphone port if you need it, 10/10
at this point no amount of incrimental innovation is gonna make much difference. need to wait a few years for the next big change to be ironed out by early adopters before moving on i reckon.
>>
>>69324278
If you want another Sony Compact, then the XZ2 Compact is $449 through B&H.
>>
>>69324414
There's a Redmi Note 7 Pro coming soon
>>
>>69323623
>The new back display is just going to be a battery drain gimmick.
It's a 2" AMOLED display, as long as it shows mostly black pixels, it should be drawing almost no power.
>>
>>69325958
I agree with what you're saying.
Bluetooth is good technology. It's a business issue that it hasn't been standardized properly. NFC and Bluetooth work perfectly together. The tech is there but the implementation is fucking retarded. Even with high end devices it's always awkward as fuck to get working.
But keep in mind the standard 3.5mm headphone Jack has probably been around 50 or more years.
Wireless/bluetooth is still in its infancy relatively speaking and eventually well have a standard that'll work seamlessly. I don't see any betamax VCR battle coming.
>>
Anybody else got faster performance and longer battery life after the 10.2.1.0 redmi note update?
>>
>>69324230
Can i flash a custom rom?
>>
File: question.jpg (201 KB, 553x768)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>69315400
Hey /g/, /out/ist here. My moto g5 is beat to hell and I need a new phone before I head off on my next trip. I use my phone as my GPS when I'm hiking so need something with a half decent battery life. But also something that isn't too big or fragile. A not-shit camera would be a bonus but not a deal breaker. I could probably spend up to $300. Any suggestions?
>>
>>69327325
Country/carrier?
>>
>>69326451
Not defective, just cheap. But it's impossible for me to tell you anything without proper information. You could screenshot your red and green spots, or at least tell your model.
>>
>>69327358
Well I'm UK based but hike all over the world. My next trip is in Jordan and I'll be in the States this summer. So I suppose I need to be able to shove any sim in there.
>>
>>69327183
I'm less concerned about format wars than I am about the general mentality behind removing the headphone jack. It seems to be nothing more than a move by companies to try to market their conveniently released wireless headphones. If it actually was about moving beyond old wired technology we would be seeing far more companies advertising the glory and honor of NFC pairing. But the same companies ditching the jack aren't doing anything to pioneer the technology; the simply do it to sell wireless accessories. That's what pisses me off so much. It isn't even technology that has yet to be invented; it's literally right in our fucking hands right as we speak. Someone just needs to make a big fuss about adding 1+1, and maybe we can get something out of this god-forsaken trend of removing the jack.
Apologies for my rant.
>>
>>69316977
>tfw xz4 compact is canceled
>FUCK THIS SHIT
Isn't this supposed to be your phone that "BTFOs" all competition? It isn't surprising really.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/31/17633792/sony-mobile-xperia-smartphone-sales-earnings-report
>>
File: qwe_download.jpg (49 KB, 600x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>69327325
>>69327358
>>69327368
super tempted by the cat s41
>>
>>69317513
Uhh, only the US version has a permanently locked bootloader. International Exynos variant has good custom ROM support so far. And let's not pretend Knox has ever done anything useful.
>>69317733
>What security could you expect from a phone with an unlocked bootloader?
Uhh, what? What happens when exploits or bugs are discovered and your manufacturer has abandoned your device? Nothing on your end if you bought a locked down device, unless you decide to purchase a new one. There are numerous reports of pre-installed malware like software on almost all OEM firmwares, which isn't surprising.
>>
>>69319742
>and it seemed the best two options were the LG v20 and LG G5, but it was announced that LG will stop offering software upgrades for those two.
Not only that, but both devices have been involved in a class action lawsuit against LG because of bootloops. Also, V20's second screen is disabled on custom ROMs, so there's no way to fight planned obsolescence that way either.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
>>
>>69322646
>night and day, SD660 is equivalent to the SD820 released two years ago
What are you even talking about?
https://youtu.be/sXKA14Didck
https://youtu.be/xb26U0QJ_R4
What more do you need?
>>
If they're the same price, would you go for Pocophone F1 or Honor 10?
>>
>>69323162
Try changing the kernel after reflashing the ROM. If nothing happens, then backup everything and use another ROM.
>>
>>69325065
>without having to do anything in regards to drivers
Well, all you'd have to do is flash device specific fixes. So, virtually nothing.
>>
File: 1530570617850.jpg (16 KB, 430x319)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Guys, I'm trying to narrow these down

>Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
>Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro

so I can then decide between each winner and pick one phone. Having a really hard time, and I'm not considering other models, because this is what I have available at this price range right now.

What would you choose? I'm leaning towards the A8, because I prefer the smaller screen, but at the same time the other phones are available in the 64GB variants, and also the Mi A1 has the preferred 16:9 screen ratio.

Can I assume all of these will support the latest future android versions through custom roms? If so, then the deciding factor would probably be build and display quality.

Or should I wait a couple of months until a new contender comes out?
>>
i just want more on-screen fingerprint scanner.
>>
>>69327589
Huawei doesn't let you unlock your bootloader while Poco has an active custom ROM community. No-brainer right here.
>>
File: google-pixel-3-white-1.jpg (225 KB, 1600x1200)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>Sony Mobile exec hints that the Xperia Compact line has been axed

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_mobile_exec_hints_that_the_xperia_compact_line_has_been_axed-news-35037.php

FUCK SONY!

So it looks like Pixel 3 is my only choice if I want a smol but no-compromise phone? Or should I wait for the Pixel 4? I currently have an S7 running RR custom rom, it's still great to use but has started to show its age esp. in the camera department.

Before someone mentioned the S9, Samsung for some reason decides to nerf the smaller version by removing the telephoto lens and I hate the edge screen meme with a passion so that's a no go.
>>
File: 52001546066436.jpg (139 KB, 1000x1000)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>69324230
I was really considering getting a Redmi Note 7 today until I saw this post, and after seriously looking into it, the Umidigi F1 looks better in almost every way for me
My only real concern about it is that it doesn't have Gorilla glass at all.
Is the glass screen still gonna be durable and scratch resistant, or is a good quality screen protector a must?

Also this is gonna be an incredibly stupid question, but is the Umidigi F1 actually out now, or is 'presale' literally just preordering a product that isn't out yet?
I can't find a release date for either of the phones, and kimovil says both of them are in presale, but there's absolutely nothing on the sites selling the phones indicating that they aren't out yet.
Like, if I were to buy the Umidigi F1 right now from here, are they actually gonna send me the phone, or am I gonna be left waiting until the phone releases?
https://www.dx.com/p/umidigi-f1-android-90-63-inch-dual-sim-4g-128g-smartphone-with-5150mah-battery-2606043
>>
>>69327861
please respond
>>
>>69322376
*the global version is going to launch with the sd675 which is basically a under clocked 845
>>
File: file.png (222 KB, 495x362)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>the better version of the phone is sold in india only
>>
>>69315400
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_unveils_the_logo_for_the_redmi_brand-news-35002.php
>Xiaomi has announced plans to spin off the Redmi line as a separate brand and brands need logos.
Why did they do this? What incentive they could get by diversify their brand?
>>
>>69328285
What phone?
>>
>>69327861
>Can I assume all of these will support the latest future android versions through custom roms?
There's nothing to assume. Just take a look at XDA. Only a couple of Samsung mid-range devices have custom ROM support and those are 3 years old at this point.
>>
>>69315400
LUMIA 950 XL WINDOWS PHONE MASTER RACE REPORTING IN

STAY JELLYMAD FA/G/GOTS
>>
>>69327325
>>69327368
>>69327522
if you're willing to spend a bit over $300, the Ulefone Armor 6 or the Blackview BV9600 Pro would be my recs
>>69327966
release date has been set for the 15th of this month, so they are in fact in presale currently, but it's gonna be the best price you're going to get for the device
>>
>>69327861
>>69328069
Samsung midrange phones are trash, avoid. I wouldn't get a Redmi Note 5 either at this point, Note 7 just launched and Note 7 Pro is coming in February apparently.
>>
>>69327966
Yet another dumbass gonna be chinked... Good luck.
>>
>>69327582
I guess English isn't your first language. He's saying the SD660 is night and day (ie. much better) compared to the SoC of the S4.
>>
>>69328440
Hueoyvey did this and they have a big % of the market, so...
>>
>>69315400
How bad is lineage OS galaxy S9 right now?
Should I switch to it or just keep stock with root?
>>
>>69328486
Whatever.
>>
>>69328480
;_;

>>69328492
But the Note 7 has the gayass notch, and it will take months for it to be available in the third world (India excluded).
>>
>>69328478
Asus Zenfone Lite L1
>>
>>69328590
What does the better version have?
>>
>>69328578
Well if you can wait, wait. If you need the phone now get the Redmi Note 5.
>>
File: file.png (15 KB, 756x99)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>69328616
>>
>>69328534
>Hueoyvey
Did you mean Huawei? They have Honor brand right? Also I guess OPPO with their sub-brands like One Plus, Realme and OPPO phones.
I'm just curious since Chinese smartphone makers love to do this.
>>
>>69328629
Isn't the Note 5 great anyways? I plan on using it for at least 2 years as well. And doesn't the A8 have slightly better specs on paper?

>>69327861
>tfw pasted the Note 5 twice, instead of the Xiaomi Mi A1 the second time

Fuck. What about the Mi A1?
>>
>>69328683
>What about the Mi A1?
Older and lower specs than Note 5, not worth it.
>>
>>69327919
XZ2C, but wait after the event in february. There's still some possibility for the xz4c
>>
>>69327919
Fucking hell, is it really cancelled? I was really looking forward to it. I'm still hoping it will show up at MWC but I'm not feeling too good about it.

If they really axed it, there isn't pretty much any smaller models coming up, is there.
>>
>>69328755
get a rugged phone if you want a small screen
>>
>>69328694
Ok, but then isn't the Samsung A7 a bit better than the Note 5?
>>
File: 1459880733958.jpg (5 KB, 153x179)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
is the OP 5T still worth it if you can get a new one for <400€?

All mid range phones seem like fucking crap these days. I hate notches, hate glass backs, and want a headphone jack.
>>
>>69328885
>still worth it
Not really, considering there's many 2018 flagships with SD845 available near or below 400€ like Pocophone, Mi8/Mix 2S or LG G7.
>>
>>69328838
no, it costs almost $100 more and for what?
>>
>>69329139
Both phones are the same price where I'm at. Same with the A8 and Mi A1.
>>
>>69329064
>notched abominations

no thanks
>>
Who else hates tech reviewers for having ruined smartphones for ever?
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s6-trade-offs,news-20514.html
>>
>>69329139
>>69329149
Forgot to mention the Samsung phones have NFC, although I'm not really sure I really need that. But I'm starting to consider the A8 more, because the screen is smaller. Is it really that bad?
>>
>>69329149
>>69329240
basically no developer support so when Samsung stops supporting it you're then stuck with what you have
>>
>>69316058
>they are both OSes that open your facecuck and whatsapp. stop living the smartphone normalfag meme and just get a cheap Xiaomi.
Said the poorfag.
>>
>>69329187
get over it autist
>>
>>69329376
So I guess the Note 5 is the way to go, and Indians in flip flops will forever post custom roms on the XDA forums?
>>
>>69328755
There is always the iPhone X or XS.
>>
>>69329423
what's even the difference between a SD835 and 845?
10% more points in benchmarks and no noticeable difference in real life?
>>
>>69329448
It's not just about the difference in performance. You're getting a better camera, longer update support etc. by getting a phone released in 2018 over one from 2017.
>>
Poco or redmi note 7? Im in yuropoor area.
>>
>>69329515
Poco. No point getting the Note 7 when Xiaomi already confirmed Note 7 Pro is on the way.
>>
>>69329187
>notched abominations
>no thanks
Well, at least the Mi 8 has an AMOLED display which makes the notch invisible when hidden/disabled.
>>
>>69329491
you convinced me. it's such a shame though, the 5t looks like a beautiful device.
>>
>>69329427
>forever
no, but at least two years before it gets abandoned
>>
>>69316881
Use either CPL launcher or Lawnchair, those wont lag like nova.
>>
>>69318709
From those I would go with the V30
>>
>>69329762
>sources: my ass
There's no way of knowing this really.
>>
>>69329799
considering the RN3 Pro was released in '15 and got support from devs up until just recently, I'd say it's a better chance than not, as opposed to the samsung which won't have any at all
>>
>>69329834
First of all, RN3P came out in 2016. Secondly, they were talking about custom ROM support, not how long the manufacturer will support it.
>>
>>69329432
Well, more specifically smaller Android phones. Had iPhone once, never again.
>>
Do you even need dev support? Can't you just install any phone OS on any device as long as the hardware specs cover it?
>>
>>69329893
no, what are you retarded?
>>
picked up nokia 6.1, 1045, have verizon, sim card isn't working?
>>
>>69329527
>Xiaomi already confirmed Note 7 Pro is on the way.
Aren't they going way too fast with this? Just how many updates can I expect from them if they have to maintain so many phones in parallel?
>>
Have a Note 8 with bluetooth issues (disconnects for a second every 10 minutes or so). Tried all kinds of resets, but still no luck. What's the best way to brick the damn thing to just warranty replace it for a refurb?
>>
>>69328491
>Blackview
Even for rugged phone people are shilling chink shit with 2016 soc.
>>
>>69330265
It's not compatible with Verizon you idiot
>>
>>69330540
ye i figured, oh well, verizon is full of jews anyway, i'll just cancel and switch to cricket
>>
>>69330462
If the phone is under warranty then why not let them repair it?
>>
With the Nubia Red Magic Mars coming out, anyone have opinions on it?

I know the Red Magic was released outside the US so hoping to hear some "Dont do it" or "its safe" kind of things.
>>
>>69315400
I have the Gemini PDA and I do like it. But I wouldn't buy the Cosmo. I never even got the GPU driver support for Linux on the Gemini. I use Sailfish so I am satisfied with that- but still.
>>
>>69330165
Why would you need dev support? You just install a custom rom.
>>
File: x.png (217 KB, 1337x1289)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>69330611
>gaming phone
>>
ok should i go for a certified refurbished note 9 or should i go for a one plus 6t mclaren edition they are both the same price
>>
>>69329893
I am not a ROM dev but I am pretty sure things like button mapping, drivers, etc all need to be specific for the phone you're flashing it to.
>>
>>69330758
;_;
>>
>>69330593
Have an extended warranty through best buy, but since they can't replicate it they say there is nothing to fix. I don't want to have to drop $150 to physically break it just to fix a bluetooth issue.
>>
>>69330745
why not the normal 6t?
>>
>>69330773
Can't you go to the best buy store and show them in person that it jeeps disconnecting from your Bluetooth speaker or headset or whatever? Or shoot the issue happening on video so you have proof of it happening? If they can't fix it then they should replace it.
>>
Got a OP5 for 230€ with an otterbox. No notch. No slow on-screen fingerprint.

Good deal?
>>
>>69330870
because more ram and storage
>>
>>69330970
>screen is upside down
LMAO
>>
>>69330745
OP6T obviously
>>
>>69330970
>16:9

get with the times gramps lmao
>>
>>69331213
16:9 is great for landscape.
>>
File: Sony Xperia XZ3.png (396 KB, 1332x1332)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
How popular are Sony Xperia phones outside the US?
>>
>>69331455
Cuckland here

I've seen the XZ1C in the hands of girls at times
Never seen a male with one of them though.
>>
>>69331484
What does gender have to do with phones lmao?
>>
>>69331590
absolutely nothing, but the XZ1C is small and women have, on average, smaller hands than men
>>
>>69331638
>tfw have small hands but can't find good small phones
>>
>>69331667
if you don't mind having no headphone jack, the XZ2C and Pixel 3 (overpriced as fuck) are pretty damn good
>>
>>69331691
>no headphone jack

I do mind.
>>
>>69331692
then you're fucked, just like me
>>
>>69331703
I was gonna get a galaxy A8, but spg told me to kms.
>>
>>69329881
as was I
>>
>>69330469
>Helio P60
>2016 SoC
you're a fucking retard
>>
>>69331738
well did you kys?
>>
>>69331939
yes, he is currently posting from the Aether
>>
>>69331939
Yeah but in the future.
>>
Any based and red-pilled poorfags waiting til blackfriday to buy the based Note 9?
>>
any new news on the next Nokia flagship in the US?
>>
>>69332019
what would anyone need a fucking stylus for?
>>
>>69332019
>waiting til blackfriday
Uhh... anon, you missed it
>>
>>69332125
for fancy shitposting but that's not the main reason of why I want a note 9.
>>69332150
It just started selling last month in my shit hole country.
>>
>>69330685
other than the stupid RGB stuff is there anything wrong with a good chipset without all the superfluous things like 4 cameras on the back?
>>
>>69332371
You pay the same to get less, even if it's the "superfluous things" you're missing out on.
>>
Cheapest place to buy Pocophone F1 in UK?
>>
>>69325624
>comes with adapter
>people still complain about non removeable batteries
>giving a fuck about sd card storage when your phone as 128gb+ built in
what are you literally torrenting on your phone or copying all your chinese cartoons to it to watch on the go

>>69326456
what's not to like my dude
>>
>>69324606
Tfw still rocking htc one m9, been running it for a couple years and havent had to a reason to upgrade. Hanging onto it until my librem 5 comes.
>>
/pol/tard paranoiac here
my wife has a dumbphone with a QWERTY keyboard, but it's so old it's starting to fail
what should she replace it with?
don't want any NSA inside or whatever garbage, so Android and iOS will be regarded with suspicion
>>
>>69332583
Carphone Warehouse
>>
>>69332810
The phone OS doesn't matter, they're reading your texts and listening to your calls anyway, and have your location from the cell towers.
>>
>>69332855
I get that; I'm just looking to not increase her exposure any more than necessary. If some increase is necessary, I want to be aware of it.
Gotta get that sweet physical keyboard action going.
>>
>>69328885

The thing to consider when buying older phone is that battery degrades over time when phone is not in use. I bought an old HTC 10 (2016) few days ago and I get barely over 1 hour SOT straight out of box.
>>
Why aren't removable batteries a thing anymore?
>>
>>69333350
Planned obsolescence. Although some are easier to remove than others.
>>
>>69333350
anything removable has to be that much more durable than it'd have to be if the end user could be kept out of it for as long as they were unwilling to void their warranty
>>
So I'm gonna nig it up a bit and go and maybe buy a used redmeme note, thing is the dude that's selling it says it's locked and associated with an account.

My question is will it work if I just install lineage and slam my sim in it or is the phone completely locked?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>69333705
Lineage?
>>
>>69333705
>My question is will it work if I just install lineage and slam my sim in it or is the phone completely locked?
You can always add a new Mi account and unlock your bootloader. SIM locked smartphones aren't a thing anymore.
>>
What's a SIM locked smartphone? Is that an American thing? Over here you can swap any SIM card all you want as long as it's the right form factor.
>>
>>69333744
Or whatever custom ROM I can use.
>>69333790
I see, think I'll just go for it and if it doesn't get a signal from my sim, hey, the equivalent of 40 bucks for a fuck-arounding phone isn't bad at all.
>>
File: suojeluhälytys.jpg (51 KB, 612x612)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
My touch screen died. Is there a way to connect a secondary touch screen through the usb?
>>
>>69332887
If you want to get completely off grid Id ditch the phone and use messengers
>>
>>69333950
Connect a mouse instead
>>
>>69333890
>the equivalent of 40 bucks for a fuck-arounding phone isn't bad at all.
Huh? Well, bring a SIM ejector pin and try it right then and there.
>>
File: 8ce87be6.jpg (11 KB, 255x299)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>69333983
NO, It has to be a touchscreen
>>
>>69333991
I'll see if I can make a new account that'll let me bypass that lock and use my sim.

It's a redmeme note 5 pro btw if anybody was wondering.
>>
File: 1415034475162.jpg (12 KB, 192x283)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>69334059
Then connect a drawing tablet
>>
>>69333971
We don't want to go completely off-grid. I just don't want normie-tier Android spyware. She wants to be able to do telephony and to type an SMS with a hardware keyboard. Tethering an Internet connection would be nice too, but it's not a must-have feature.
>>
>>69334107
Get another QWERTY dumbphone then, or one of the older BlackBerries.
>>
>>69334107
Custom ROMs and microG are a thing.
>>
What's a good place to download games?
>>
how long should it take to transfer 120GB worth of music to my phone via usb C from my PC?
>>
>>69334454
Google Play Store
>>
>>69334576
I'd just do it over wlan, you can even walk around the house while doing so. USB-C depends on the implementation, there are phones with USB-C 3.1 and with 2.0
>>
Is there any difference between the S9 dual sim and the single slim besides the obvious second card slot?
Any difference in hardware? Maybe one is a later model?
>>
>>69327966
Bumping my question here about the lack of Gorilla glass

>>69328517
Is there actually something wrong with chink phones, or are you just acting superior about wasting money on mainstream flagship phones?
I'm obviously not expecting this phone to compare with whatever the latest samsung phone is, but it does everything I'd want it to, is a massive upgrade from my current phone, and for that price it's pretty hard to say no.
As long as it does what it says it will and lasts me a good few years, i'll be happy.
>>
>>69335541
he's an elitist will spread FUD, now whether or not he gets paid to do his shitposting is up in the air
>>
>>69335541
Umi, dogge, leagoo etc are bootleg brands, mostly sold outside of China
No one knows about them here in China, stick to mainstream Chinese brands
>>
>>69335541
Even though there is no Gorilla glass mentioned, it is quite possible it has comparable glass protection. There are other things that worry me about this device though. First is the SoC choice. Based on my own experience with a Mediatek-powered device and that of the people I know, the overall experience is noticeably worse than with equivalent SD chips. They are battery-thirsty, lack support for new technologies and have far worse performance due to the GPU bottlenecking the rest of the device. Mind you, if you aren't a demanding user, for everyday use what they offer is still more than enough.
The second point is the camera. I don't have the first-hand experience with this phone so I'm going off the hunch here. In the past UMI, like many other Chinese budget brands, liked to chink with the camera, as in the sensor was some unknown Sony or Samsung model and the second camera would be there only for show, serving no actual purpose. In any way, reviews will confirm or deny this.
My third and by far biggest concern is the software. Mediatek means you're basically stuck with whatever the manufacturer ships it with, so if it's shit, tough luck and, due to the business model these companies have, you can forget official support.

No matter how I look at this, it makes no sense not to wait at least for the reviews before deciding to experiment with your purchase, even though I see no fresh meme potential in this thing.
>>
>>69335910
I did some research, and it seems the P60 is on par with the SD660, having a bit worse performance but a bit better battery efficiency, and also also has "AI" whatever that means in terms of phone cpus
I'm pretty sure my usage wouldn't be that demanding anyway, considering i'm still using my old ass Galaxay S4 just fine

How does Mediatek restrict the phone software wise though?
It's got stock andriod 9.0 which im pretty happy with, but does that mean it pretty much won't be getting updates, and I couldn't just flash something else onto it if I wanted to?

You do have a point about the camera and waiting for reviews, as much as this phone seems great to me, whether or not it actually lives up to it's promises is unknown currently.
Thanks for pointing this stuff out, I was pretty much ready to buy it now.
>>
>>69336043
>How does Mediatek restrict the phone software wise though?
Mediatek refuse to release kernel source for their chips, meaning custom ROM development is non-existent. The best you can get are rom ports, but during my time researching those, I realised it's just too much of a hassle and the end result is always half-broken, so I settled to rooting only.
>>
>>69336275
Damn, that is going to be a bit of a problem, especially when I'm hoping to be using the next phone I buy for a good few years
I guess I'll wait for reviews, and for the RN7 to actually release a version with the bands I need, and go from there
>>
did anyone receive Android 9 update for their P20 yet? UK here and nothing in sight.

also what's that about Huawei not unlocking their bootloaders? does it mean no ROMs for my phone?
>>
I just ordered a OnePlus 6T to try out and possibly switch from my iPhone X to. How bad did I fuck up?
>>
>>69336682
>does it mean no ROMs for my phone?
it means no developers actually give a shit about it, pic related is all the P20 has in the develoent section on XDA, basically de-bloated versions of EMUI
>>
>>69336969
should have waited for a One+ 6T ...
>>
Got the samsung dex cable for my note 9 today.
Plugged it into an old computer monitor, I had an old wireless mac keyboard lying around which has been unused for several years, just chucked in 2 fresh AA batteries and it fucking turned on.Paired it with my phone.
I am currently typing this from that keyboard and using my phone as a mouse/trackpad with 4chan open in a chrome window. It actually feels faster than my HP laptop.
This is the future right here.
>>
> s10 will have a 5000mAh battery
> but it will have a fucking hole in the screen
They always fuck something up
>>
why do these giant phone all have only 1 usb c cable?
this can be used for video, audio, periphals, storage and fuck knows literally everything else, charging too obviously. having just 1 port is not enough. not like there isn't enough space for 2, even 3 AND a headphone jack,
>>
V20
1+ 3T
Pixel XL

Which was /our/ phone lads?
>>
>>69337526
>V20
Bootloop king
>1+ 3T
Shit screen
>Pixel XL
Shit screen and ugly
>>
>>69315400
Can anyone vouch for how well Samsung Dex works for their current line of phones? And do any other Android manufacturers offer a similar Phone-to-Desktop functionality?

Not in the market for a phone right now, but it'd be handy to have some models to watch for once my current set's too outdated.
>>
can someone tell me if the bands shown on this webpage for the poco are right?
https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/AK6Pa/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-dual-sim-td-lte-cn-m1805e10a
is this a different version than the one with little to no support to LTE bands?
>>
File: 1522976544858.png (10 KB, 645x773)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
PSA to anyone who might care:
I'm a sucker for small text/design elements, and am always frustrated with UI that is big and doesn't fit a lot of info on one screen.
At least on stock android (Mi A1) you can go to Developer Options, under the subtitle "Drawing" and change the option "Smallest width".
Bigger number = smaller UI elements. You can fit so much stuff on your screen, and not waste any space for uselessly big text.
Dunno if others find this useful, but for me it's a 5/5 thing I just found out about.

P.S. I guess be careful not to go too big with the numbers, as you might make shit untappable? ~500dp looks good on Mi A1 imo.
>>
>>69334231
and that's what I'm asking for suggestions on
>>
>>69327592
I just flashed to Jaguar. It's much much faster than AEX anyway.
>>
>>69315400
I'm looking for an upgrade, prefer I can use LTE in the US on Cricket Wireless.

Currently have a Moto G5 Plus

Kinda eyeing the oneplus 5 or 5t but something around 400 is my looking price, dont want to go too far over that.
>>
>>69338168
Essential PH-1
>>
>>69338595
>Essential PH-1

I was lookinga t this, Certified Refurbished is only 209. Might be worth it.
>>
>>69338741
definitely worth it, doesn't have issues working with cricket either
>>
i want a modern, reasonably powerful andriod phone the size of an iphone 5/se, with better or equal specs to the iphone se
>>
usa
att
usb c
wireless charging
loud speakers
big battery
$300-400

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.