[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Earlier today, Australia's House of Representatives passed the Assistance and Access Bill. The Anti-Encryption Bill, as it is known as, would allow the nation's police and anti-corruption forces to ask, before forcing, internet companies, telcos, messaging providers, or anyone deemed necessary, to break into whatever content agencies they want access to.

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/committees/reportjnt/024247/toc_pdf/AdvisoryReportontheTelecommunicationsandOtherLegislationAmendment(AssistanceandAccess)Bill2018.pdf
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/12/the-internet-reacts-to-australias-anti-encryption-bill/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/hasty-pjcis-examination-of-encryption-bill-produces-rushed-and-contemptuous-report/
>>
lmao
>>
>>68810501
How are they actually implementing this? When they say 'backdoor' and 'golden key' does this actually correspond to anything technical yet or what?
>>
>>68810570
of course not they are retarded boomers
>>
>>68810570
>ask, before forcing
You threaten violence unless the data is decrypted. No database admin, website owner or ISP will go to jail to save a user.
>>
>>68810589
But its still theoretically possible. They're talking as though their going to have backdoors into shit, which sounds not really technically possible.
>>
>>68810608
Oh, its perfectly possible to backdoor RNGs and crypto schemes. Just look at the controversy over RSA BSAFE.
Its just kind of infeesable to force providers to use backdoored crypto.
Crypto wars don't work now that it's all out there for the public to use.
>>
i cannot wait some disgruntled australian autist contractor to leak the decryption keys, it's gonna be great.
>>
According to Wikipedia there have been five deadly terrorist attacks in Australia since 2010 with a total of six fatalities, one of them a hostage shot by police.
Three of the attacks were shootings, two stabbings, none of them looked intricately planned.
But I'm sure breaking encryption will stop all future terrorists and won't be abused in any way by the state, foreign intelligence agencies or random internet criminals.
>>
>>68810501

>The politicians are also making sure that they are taken care of, with the revised legislation to make explicit that parliamentary privilege is protected

Lol, fucking scumbags.
>>
Lol golden keys to decrypt someone's stuff
Kangaroos thinks that is just as easy as if(police){access_stuff(FILE *message);}
>>
>>68810501
something similar was passed in the UK but never implemented because open source and american devs wouldn't backdoor everything for mrs may
>>
>>68810971
Terrorism in Australia is universally a farce
The one you mention with cops shooting a hostage was even more so, it was just some sandnigger who was facing an array of regular criminal charges and decided to yolo a hostage situation. As part of his demands he asked for an IS flag because he was too shit to get one himself.
>>
File: 1378083909860.jpg (83 KB, 531x505)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>68810501
inb4 all major international companies close their Australian branches and leave, since they can't legally operate here once the security risk of a backdoor exists.
>>
>>68811113
Australians should be used to having 2000 ms latency to most services, its cool.
>>
Phew, thought this was burgerland for a while
>>
>>68810971
Australia is just acting for England and USA in this case.
Once a precedent is set somewhere else it's easier to get your shit through. This isn't Russia, which is still seen as a potential enemy by most of the west, and especially if companies bend to the Australian legislation it will be easier for other governments to put pressure on handing over the same backdoor keys to them, even if they don't have the same legislation in place.

The sane solution is for companies to remove their company presence from Australia and just ignore them. As far as I can tell there is no penalty for using an application that encrypts your data in a way they can't backdoor, the onus is on the provide the access, and if they don't and can't be prosecuted for it then it's just hard luck.
>>
>>68811219
>Australia is just acting for England and USA in this case
Does anyone take Australia seriously?
>>
>>68810501
This is why I joined Hezbollah
>>
>>68811253
He is right in the sense that if a company wants to work in Australia, they have to develop a solution according to this law. Then in the USA the congressmen can go "well you already have service that works with the law, why can't you provide it here too?".
>>
>>68811113
As an Australian I fucking hope so. Basically cowardly politicians are terrified of the public perceiving them as weak on terrorism but it would be interesting to see normies rage unleashed if you take away their facebook/whatsapp
>>
>>68810971
>>68811086
I'm pretty sure most if not all of these were by mentally disturbed people also. They were never anything highly orchestrated where these laws would make a difference
>>
>>68811311
Murderers are mentally disturbed people by default. It isn't normal to murder, if you feel its okay to murder you are mentally ill.
>>
>>68811326
What about soldiers?
>>
>>68811337
Not all killing is murder. Execution, abortion, euthanasia, suicide, war deaths, etc, aren't murder.
>>
>>68810501
What about encryption that can't be broken as it is free software
Aussie commies BTFO
>>
>>68811337
You basically have to rebuild a person to make them a viable soldier, and the high rates of mental illness, PTSD and depression in veterans shows that even that doesn't help.
>>
>>68810567
Fpbp
>>
>>68811277
Even worse, if the Australian agency gets hold of it they just pass it under the table to America and every fucking one else.
>>
>>68811326
No, there's a difference and it matters. People whose brains have been warped by ideology are different and generally have more sophisticated methods than those who have brains which are physically broken. Encryption laws aren't going to do jackshit against the randomness of people with broken brains
>>
>>68810501
does that mean we can't use tox?
>>
>>68811398
No, because tox isn't a thing.
>>
>>68811383
If your brain can receive the input of normal everyday life, and create the output of murder, it is broken.
There is input that can cause a healthy brain to output murder - war, self defense, assisted suicide, etc, but the people we tend to define as and call "murderer" are those that kill in circumstances that don't account for that action.

>we were arguing for parking spot, so i pulled out my gun
Mental illness.
>i saw my wife kissing another man, so i shot them both
Mental illness.
>my life is hard and i feel miserable, but my family counts on me - so i strangled my infant child, my wife, and i hanged myself
Mental illness.
>>
Amazon has already confirmed they plan to “take them to court”
>>
>>68811019
You didn't expect the political class to be included in the private citizenship did you?

Welcome to the rest of the world Oz. Get a paper and pencil if you want correspondence to be private.
>>
>>68811426
Dang, it hasn't even been a month since we were joking how Amazon are more powerful 90% of countries, now they start suing big countries.
>>
>>68811409
You're being super autistic and completely ignoring what I said.
>>
>>68811430
I wouldn't be mad if my correspondence was used for something good.
If Google tracked people's location and searches such that the national health institute can see people in this part of that town have increased googling for symptoms of flu, lets release a statement to warn them, etc, I'd be cool. But instead its only used to advertise me retail garbage I am more likely to buy.
>>
>>68811444
You:
>People whose brains have been warped by ideology are different and generally have more sophisticated methods than those who have brains which are physically broken.
Me:
>If your brain can receive the input of normal everyday life, and create the output of murder, it is broken.
>>
>>68811219
This anon is right, but it sometimes works differently.
A while ago a bunch of pedofiles where arrested that abused kids in Thailand here in Holland. How did they catch them? It was a "cooperation" between the Dutch, Thai and Australian police. Why? In Australia it is legal for the police to hack any suspect of a crime. They essentially outsourced the hacked part of the operation to Australia, because its illegal elsewhere
>>
File: 1529367144678.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Does this mean no more SSL/TLS in Aussieland?
>>
>>68811409
You have a funny brain. You seem to forgot that we're barely out of the jungle. Humans are are most 200000 years old. Homicidal tendencies or urges isn't mental illness, but rather a mental disorder(ASPD) and you or I aren't qualified to make those assertions. Also, what kind of retard classifies crimes of passion as mental illness?
Here's your dumbass
>executioner injects inmate with legal injection

Mental illness.
>>
>Anti-corruption can't use it
ahahahaha
>>
>>68811462
I doubt it. It might end up like gun control in america
>goat fuckers smarten up
>roll their own encryption
>everyone else is fucked
>>
>>68811253
Steam does, we took them to the High Court for denying refunds here, as it's illegal to do so under Australian Consumer Law. Our High Court won and they are required at law to offer refunds, even if the 2 hour limit is passed to Australian users. The new laws while interesting will not be easily abused. Our High Court loves to tell the Government to go fuck themselves if they try to overstep their boundaries, and very much stand up for the people.
>>
>>68811464
>we are just animals LOL like civilization and ethics don't even exist lmao SPOOX
Mental illness is defined by civilized man and applies to civilized man. You are just moving the goalpost.
>>
>>68810589
> No database admin, website owner
This is peanuts, I'd be more worried about VPN sessions.
>>
>>68811459
based politicians. their economic policy which is now falling on its head of raw exports with absolutely no effort put into secondary industry will be solved by selling leet hacking to the highest bidder
>>
>>68811530
>Mental illness is defined by civilized man and applies to civilized man
We're animals with base desires, not devine beings creates in gods image. If there was a power outage world wide that lasted for at least a month, you would see how "cilivised" people really are. Also, mental illness isn't a clinical definition, retard. You still haven't explained how crimes of passion is indicitive of "mental illness."
>>
>>68811585
Nothing of what you wrote has anything to do with the point. Mental illness is defined by civilization. Being gay used to be mental illness, and isn't anymore, despite zero to no development in the biology of the human animal. Its almost as if you are talking about irrelevant garbage to avoid admitting you are wrong.
>>
>>68811426
Source? Google isn’t returning anything
>>
>>68811408
what about anything remotely pgp like?
>>
>>68811603
>avoid admitting you are wrong
Lolwut. This was first post >>68811464
Whatever, retard.
>>
>>68811625
>i am not moving the goalpost, because i already moved the goalpost earlier!
Retard.
>>
>>68811639
Your retardation is tiring.
>>
File: 1463525547588.gif (967 KB, 500x500)
967 KB
967 KB GIF
>>68811485
So no getting the biggest crooks. Filesharers only.
>>
>>68810501
I don't understand.All the service providers should have access to is metadata and public keys. In a properly working scheme only the communicating parties have access to private keys and plaintext.
Are retarded reporters mixing up actual encryption with metadata?
>>
>>68811604
https://which-50.com/tech-giants-may-challenge-governments-proposed-encryption-laws-in-court/?fbclid=IwAR1Sznml68CsSVlYorgyOSGV4CBp1omprCDi90TrmGose6fFDpr5umaRWIQ
>>
>>68811724
thats the point. these laws say the service providers need to rewrite their programs so they are able to provide the private keys to the australian government upon request because terrorism
>>
I'm surprised banks allowed this to happen. Maybe they're not so powerful after all.
>>
>>68811824
>I'm surprised banks allowed this to happen
This is the biggest mystery of it all.
>>
>>68811086
Terrorism anywhere is a farce.
>>
The encryption bill has passed the Senate with a final vote of 44-12, with Labor and the Coalition voting for it. "Australia's security and intelligence agencies now have legal authority to force encryption services to break the encryptions, reports The Guardian.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/australia-now-has-encryption-busting-laws-as-labor-capitulates/
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/dec/06/government-morrison-nauru-energy-encryption-politics-live-shorten-labor-liberal
>>
/g/ should just become Gardening.
>>
>>68811939
What if it's end-to-end and the service itself doesn't have the keys? Are they legally obliged to provide a backdoor, making the whole thing pointless?
>>
>>68811948
Law says you have to provide keys, meaning you have to have keys.
So I am guessing all services now have to be able to decrypt whatever they store, etc.
>>
>>68811948
They'll be forced to create a backdoor and be gagged by law not to tell anybody about it.
>>
>>68811948
That's what the bill implies, yes. It's poorly worded and intentionally vague to give the government as much power as possible.

This could quite literally destroy the tech industry here, not that we had much of one anyway. Global companies might refuse to do business here, seeing as it's no great loss - after all, it's a market of 25 million people with less discretionary income than the USA and a lot of western Europe. Local companies may end up shutting down due to fear of imprisonment.

Maybe we can hope for a reversal of the bill when Apple decide not to sell the next iFruit phone here, and the populace finally march on Parliament House.
>>
>>68811948
The more interesting question is:
What if the police shows up with a random string of symbols, and asks you to decrypt it? Maybe its not encrypted information at all, just random garbage some attacked left as bait. And as you can't decrypt it, you'd go to jail for that. Of course the only way to prove a random string isn't encrypted useful evidence is to decrypt it, and if you don't decrypt it you are maybe hiding the key, etc.
>>
What are the odds that Facebook blocks the entire IP address range of Australia from the entirety of its social media suite over this shitfest?
>>
>>68812012
Zero. The moment alternative social networks can say "we cover the whole world, including Australia!" while Facebook doesn't, they'd become viable competition.
>>
>>68811979
Doesn't this kind of shit already happen stateside?
>>
>>68812021
How would they respond then if the Australian government demanded exploits be added to WhatsApp and Messenger? Give them the finger and proceed with business as usual?
>>
>>68812012
You're not thinking big enough.
Apple would now be thinking about closing all company presence in Australia rather than backdooring all their physical and software products to comply with the government.
>>
>>68812064
Give them whatever data they want, it's not like they're not doing it already.
>>
>>68812021
Mate, Australia's not a big country in terms of population. Facebook wouldn't lose a substantial amount of market share by a less established service with the only drawcard being services provided to Australia.

Besides, what company is going to provide a service in Australia when it compromises the security of their global operation?

Everyone's just gonna go full China mode and not even bother.
>>
File: 1538093104099.jpg (51 KB, 757x432)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>68810501
>retard politicians think they can just put back doors in encryption services and everything will totally be fine because NO ONE would ever have a vested interest in leaking said back doors or selling said back doors on the black market

fuck politicians and fuck niggers
>>
>>68811948
likely the "backdoor" won't have anything to do with the encryption algorithm or protocol; it'll just be something more akin to having malware on your device.
>>
>>68810878
I hope this happens
>>
>>68811409
Honestly that’s the most acceptable action when you find your wife fucking another man, even god would forgive that.
>>
What are pentesters supposed to do when they find exploits intentionally implemented due to government intervention? Report on the exploit regardless as they obviously aren't going to know that the government requested it, with the employee who implemented the exploit forced to create another one after the pentests conclude and the exploit removed?
>>
>>68810501
Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.
>>
>>68812301
Until the backdoor is accessed by third parties thanks to social engineering/crackers, and everyone's money gets stolen.
>>
>>68811543
Except if pentesters happen to come across the backdoors and report them. The bill makes it a crime to disclose them. Even the infosec industry in Aust is fucked

>>68811948
It will probably be a push for something like silently attaching a new participant to the conversation. Whatsapp, signal, telegram and others have webclients so they already permit another "device", which a participant owns, to join silently and I think it uses different keys for the webclient. See what UK's GCHQ wants
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/29/gchq_encrypted_apps/

>>68811984
>>68812012
>>68812064
>>68812077
>>68812066
One can only hope tech companies withdrawl if just to highlight to the public. Though would have been better if they had staged a "the day the net went dark" style protest before the bill was passed
>>
>>68812541
>Except if pentesters happen to come across the backdoors and report them. The bill makes it a crime to disclose them.
Not doubting you, but do you know the specific section that addresses this?
>>
>>68812293
bureaucracy is good, comrade
>>
>>68812293
Shut up and pray to not be jailed.
>>
>>68811485
Wait what the fuck, that and tax evasion should've been the only use-cases, who fucking passed this.
>>
>>68812601
Both of the major political parties, democracy's fucking dead in Australia.
>>
>>68811485
So blatant.
>>
>>68812678
Subtlety would only be necessary if anyone had the power to stop them.
See: >>68812620
>democracy's fucking dead in Australia
Everyone older than 50 needs to just fucking die already.
>>
>>68812293
Basically if you find any bug which could have been been inserted as part of a TCN if you report it your fucked

Division6—Unauthorised disclosure of information etc.
317ZF Unauthorised disclosure of information
(1) A person commits an offence if:
(a) the person discloses information; and
(b) the person is or was:
(i) a designated communications provider; or
(ii) an employee of a designated communications provider; or
(iii) a contracted service provider of a designated communications provider; or
; and
(c) the information:
(i) is technical assistance notice information; or
(ii) is technical capability notice information; or
(iii) is technical assistance request information; or
(iv) was obtained in accordance with a technical assistance notice; or
(v) was obtained in accordance with a technical capability notice; or
(vi) was obtained in accordance with a technical assistance request; and
Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years
>>
>>68812566
See >>68812821
Page 49 if you download the pdf
>>
Here in Switzerland, politicians discuss mandarory registration for all e-mail users. And ISPs have to keep metadata for 6 mths. Law enforcement can & does request data without court warrant. Often, it happens on an informal basis.

Two days ago, UBS lost customers' data. It is prohibited to upload pre encrypted data...

http://archive.is/AljBD

>https://www.ubs.com/ch/en/help/safe/forbidden-content.html
>Forbidden content
>Files pre-encrypted before uploading
>>
>>68810501
So the same shit America had for a decade now. Australia, again, behind times.
>>
Reminder that in aus, the RSPCA can look at your internet history.
>>
>>68812566
Also; IAMAL I would expect that (iii) a contracted service provider of a designated communications provider
Covers infosec companies providing pentesting service.
Also if you do bug hunting on the weekend/night but you work for the government your covered by (ix) an officer or employee of the Commonwealth, a State or a Territory; or
>>
File: 1544002496737.jpg (63 KB, 900x900)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
How hard is it to setup a service like proton mail/cock.li?

I want to run something like this and wait until the feds knock on my door asking for the keys.

It will be a fun experiment, i could even fake user data and offer to sell them the rights to the website, so they will buy nothing really.

Do you think this would work?
Or is it taking a social experiment too far?
>>
>>68812915
With encryption harder. All you really need is a static IP address and port 25 open
Here is a good primer
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/how-to-run-your-own-e-mail-server-with-your-own-domain-part-1/
>>
>>68810501
Disgusting.
>>
>>68812880
Reminder that in the US all your internet history is sent directly from the ISP to an NSA data center, no warrant at all required for them to look at it
>>
>>68812915
ProtonMail is pretty damn advanced. Just get yourself an account with them.
>>
>>68810501
How the fuck does this work? Almost all encrypted web protocols are encrypted end to end using standardized algorithms. Do the aussies think they're gonna extort every root trust to steal their certs and MITM everything? What about self-signed? Or maybe they think they have the authority to force the entire planet to use a backdoored algorithm? Wtf?
>>
>>68812957
Better the NSA than the RSPCA.
>>
>>68812961
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM1tPmxGY7Y

The idea is to host it in Australia and wait for the magic to happen
>>
>>68812969
They really just want whatsapp broken.
>>
You know terrorists are just gonna encrypt with PGP first and then send it over a service. Fucking retarded boomers.
>>
What are they gonna about fully decentralised stuff like tox, Bitmessage or Bitcoin?
>>
>>68812994
Ban PGP and all other user encryption, jail everyone who distributes or uses the software. Only though total control can the australian goverment fight terror. You don't have anything to hide anyway, do you, anon?
>>
HAHAHA GET FUCKED AUSTRALIANS
>>
>>68811409
>my ideology tells me I should join my country's military and kill people when it comes to it
not mental illness
>my ideology tells me I should join the police and kill people if it comes to it
not mental illness
>my ideology tells me I should join a terrorist cell and kill people when it comes to it
mental illness?
>>
>>68812961
No. Tutanota is better.
>>
>>68813257
Didn't Tutanota just introduce a backdoor with their "recovery keys" that they will hold on just in case?
>>
>>68810501
Based Russian spies are going to steal encryption keys and fuck Australians over!
>>
>>68813257
Fag
>>
>>68813351
Tbh I would give secrets to Russian spies for free if I had any.I absolutely despise my government and would be glad to fuck them over.
>>
>>68813634
>tbf i'm a traitor and would collaborate with the enemy
>>
>>68813602
>use the fully proprietary protonmail which you can't log into outside a browser or their proprietary app
>don't use tutanota which open sourced half it's shit and is the only email provider with an official app on fdroid
U retarded, m8?
>>
>>68811253
No, but if the Australian intelligence agencies have access to backdoors, so do the American intelligence agencies.

Any company that does business in Australia will be forced to comply. If they take their business out, expect an american court to enforce Australian law on behalf of Australia and force the business to comply.
>>
>>68813654
I like my people and culture,but I hate modern politicians.They're a bunch of faggots.
>>
>>68811485
I wanna believe.
>>
So the internet is now illegal in Australia?
>>
>>68811824
Probably doesn't apply to them, only smalltime offenders. That's how it normally goes.
>>
>>68813681
>i am not a traitor, i'd just let the russian government know my government's secrets, despite open hostilities and antagonizing between the two
>>
>>68813747
I don't care.It was their choice to turn Russia into an enemy.Faggot politicians wont dictate who I love or hate.
>>
>>68813659
>literal lies
>"hurr u retarded"
Whatever you say, bub.
>>
>>68813774
>its my government's fault that russia invaded ukraine and openly trades with north korea
>>
Can someone confirm? Are banks exempt or did the banks actually allow themselves to get fucked?
>>68813742
>>
>>68813654
If your someone with "nothing to hide" there is not much a security service on the other side of the world could gain from it. Maybe convince people to buy more vodka.
But the government you reside in the juristiction of, you have everything to lose
>>
>>68813791
Banks aren't exempt, dumb /pol/tard.
>inb4 hurrr boogeymayns
Only /pol/tards believe throwaway comments like that and starts saying "OMG I CANT BELIEVE THIS BUT I BELIEVE IT".

It is a de facto case that organizations who have access to funds are harder to pressure than persons who don't. De jure they aren't exempt, they can just throw money to slow down any court cases.
>>
>>68813785
My government trades with saudi arabia and israel,it took part in several invasions in the middle east and is now terrorizing it's own citizens.They are as rotten as any other government. It has absolutely no right to shit on Russia.
>>
>oh, this disk, officer?
>no it's not encrypted, it uses a custom filesystem that I developed
>no you can't have the source code or the whitepapers
>imaging the disk is pointless because it uses a custom compression algorithm that just so happens to look similar to AES
Problem solved.
>>
>>68813793
If I am someone who has "nothing to hide", I would still suffer from my government ensuring there is a backdoor in every monetary transaction I do, and Chinese/Russian hackers (not memes, actual cybersec burglars that are most frequently from these places) gain access to said backdoor.

>"I'll hold a gun to your head and shoot if you commit a crime. You won't commit a crime, so you have nothing to be afraid of."
>What if someone pushes you and it goes off?
>"Shut up."
>>
File: Ladders.jpg (40 KB, 524x700)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>68810501
>government in the process of governing

Seems fine. I mean if you don't like it, install a different set of people in your government who do what you want them to do.
>>
>>68813834
>It has absolutely no right to shit on Russia.
I am shitting on Russia, and I am asking you to consider shitting on Russia. Nobody said your government has the right to judge, they are equally shit (assuming its the USA or UK, or a client state of theirs). However your argument has the quality of being YOUR GOVERNMENT, and thus between two equally rotten fruit, the one that is YOURS is obviously preferable to the one that is opposing yours. And the word "traitor" has a pretty clear definition.
>>
>>68813872
My government is the one fucking me over,so I would rather help their enemies.
>>
>>68813947
t. raitor
>>
>>68813843
I don't support the legislation but it has nothing, in its current form, to do with financial systems.
Backdooring is bad and soft/firm/hardware shouldn't contain them but this time keep it relevant to the topic at hand communication services/applications
>>
>>68813814
>asks for confirmation on claim due to skepticism
>"hurr durr fucking /pol/tard believing random comments on the Internet"
All of my wat.

I don't even browse /pol/.
>>
>>68811019
Fucking pieces of shit
>>
>>68810878
This. And they will come out. Now aussie credit card will be safe.
>>
>>68813780
>literal lies
So you are retarded
>>
>>68810971
Shootings and stabbings are terrorist attacks now? What the fuck
>>
>>68811666
SAUCE
>>
>>68810501
Encode all your secret messages in Finnish or Hungarian.
>>
>>68810501
This should surprise no one, Australia has always been a nanny state.
>>
>>68810567
Fpbp
>>
>>68812977
lol wtf is what webm?
>>
>>68814826
Who Framed Rodger Rabbit
>>
>>68813739
Nah, they'd actually realise how much money they'd be pouring out of the country if they did that.
>>
>>68815157
Wouldn't Estonian make more sense for that joke
>>
>>68811430
Australia has always been part of FVEY, retard
>>
>>68812845
We got that in 2015, and it's 2 years. Lots of cases of abuse already but there's no sign of any amendments
>>
>>68812969
>not even pretending to read the articles

Notice of Capability is widely speculated to mean "frontdoor access" e.g. targeted app updates with keyloggers, etc.
>>
>>68810501
i hope every tech company pulls out of this retarded country. i have no idea how they're making money when the whole island has a grand total of three cities
>>
Reading through the actual bill just gets worse and worse
>>
>>68812301
Ok, so I'll just put a camera in your toilet, read all your mail and enter your house without permission.
>>
>>68812845
What if I encode my encrypted content in punctuation and misspellings of a regular text?
>>
>>68819654
link for bill?
>>
The great firewall of Australia.
Same shit, different country.

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 劉曉波动态网自由门
>>
Does this affect personal encryption?
If I use an open source program to encrypt my files into a container can they do anything about it?
There's no company out there with the keys so would they be able to arrest me for refusing to decrypt?
>>
>>68821951
If you roll your own, they can't do dick but start up the party van.
>>
>>68821951
>would they be able to arrest me for refusing to decrypt?
That's my understanding of it. I haven't yet looked through the text though.
>>
>>68822176
Interesting how this will work with the right to silence.
>>
>>68822291
What right to silence?
>>
>>68822329
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_silence#Australia
Usually you can't be forced to hand over passwords since then you would possibly incriminate yourself.
>>
>>68822360
>Usually you can't be forced to hand over passwords since then you would possibly incriminate yourself.
Isn't requesting the unencrypted data the normal work-around for that?
>>
>>68810570
Aussie following this here (but hasn't read the whole bill) - the most technical and implementation term I've heard is literally 'encryption', no one knows how this going to work, but we have the broad and vague law to adhere to, just like the fucking retarded "items bought overseas over X dollerydoos must pay GST on" law.
>>
>>68822416
Right now there is no work-around in a lot of western countries.
Hence the FBI was so eager to get a backdoor for iPhones.
And no, they still can't crack them if you know what you're doing.
>>
complete normie to digital security here, what should I be doing to protect myself?
>>
>>68822914
There's not really anything you can do, other than limit the amount of information you give to third-parties.
>>
>>68820736
Here's the first reading, but considering how it actually got passed, I don't think they changed anything.
http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r6195_first-reps/toc_pdf/18204b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf
>>
>>68822914
Don't send personal/confidential information over messaging apps, no more sexting or anything you can't risk having leaked etc.
>>
>>68814808
this is what happens when you take away guns and chemically castrate the male population
>>
>>68810501
>be crocodile dundee
>use encrypted service based somewhere in europe
>aussie cops can fuck off
problem solved.
>>
File: 1425466140559.gif (689 KB, 350x272)
689 KB
689 KB GIF
>>68811086
kek
>>
>>68810501
So will the High court do anything about this?
>>
>>68824277
Doubt it, they're just as spineless and gutless as the other fuckers in Canberra
>>
>>68812301
Fuck off Malcolm.
>>
>>68815256
It's embarrassing. Politicians in Australia just love to keep the citizens in the technological stone age.
>>
>>68823908
Return: >>>/pol/
>>
>>68824350
\loq\<<<
>>
>>68812301
And yet corruption investigation bodies won't be allowed access to the exploits. Clearly the government has something to hide, and it more or less reeks of corruption.
>>
>>68813332
Nope. Unless you're going to believe what a random person on 4chan LARPing as a german government official said with 0 evidence to back any of it up. It's completely baseless and the scenario described in that thread is literally impossible because gag orders don't exist in Germany. However if you want to believe what a random person made up then you can.
>>
>>68824828
I wonder how long it will be before I'm accused of working for them
>>
File: 1524416259633.jpg (966 KB, 1320x2460)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
>>68815256
>>
>>68810501
Time to blacklist austrailia!
>>
File: f3345246984.jpg (67 KB, 500x375)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>Australian companies will move offshore or close down because no foreign country wants to buy backdoored shit
>now australian nationals won't even be hired overseas, we'll be considered about as trustworthy as the mainland chinks
>pajeetification of Australia's remaining onshore IT companies will continue on uninterrupted
>you bought into the "STEM is the future" meme instead of just becoming a builder or miner or truck driver
i want out.
>>
https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/laura-tingle-on-labors-decision-about-encryption/10592102
>The ALP capitulated to not take flak from the LNP if a terrorist attack occurred during the Christmas period
>The encryption bill wouldn't take effect until 28 days after it became law, which would've been into the new year, after the Christmas period
Even if an act of terror took place the encyption law wouldn't even have protected anybody during Christmas, what a fucking pathetic joke.
>>
File: 1535089715137.png (21 KB, 500x737)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>68825339
>Labors fault because Liberals said so
boomers will always fall for this.

Labor is even gonna be blamed for muh house prices crashing despite not having federal power for over 5 years.
>>
>>68825422
see >>68811939
>>
>>68812620
You gave up your right to defend your freedom already they know they can abuse you with no limit.
>>
>>68810501
What a nice way to kill any potential startup in Australia
>>
>>68825538
Fuck me
>>
I'm gonna send letters to friends pretending to organise terrorist attack and see how long it takes for them to figure it. They say this shit is for defending against terrorism but everyone knows no attack has ever, EVER been preempted or picked up using the internet. Unless you count that edgy 14 year old who threatened to bomb an ANZAC Day parade. Fuck our stupid cowardly cunt government
>>
>>68825699
Reminds me of that copy-pasta featuring key words that the Chinese Communist Party tracks, and when you post it online chinese users get disconnected.
>>
>>68825708
Lolwut am I new or something I've never seen that
>>
>>68825765
It's a meme. But something similar was actually possible for some programs, which would crash on malformed hyperlinks, before this bug was fixed you could for example go to twitch, enter the stream with the most viewers, then post such a link in the chat, and see all the chrome users disappear
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-chrome-crash
>>
>>68825852
>It's a meme.
You could, and maybe still can, induce latency and dropped packages in video games for all chinese clients by writing banned words in chat. A guy on /g/ was demonstrating it several months ago.
>>
>>68810501
What if you use floss tho? Who will they arrest?
>>
>>68825927
No one, and your teeth will be healthier.
>>
>>68810501
>Ausfalia

But in general, these are really dark times
>>
>>68821951
Australia already has laws to compel disclosure of passwords. A court can order you to cough up if you don't they can hold you in contempt and gaol you until you provide details.
I don't think "forgetting" has been tested in court yet.
>>
>>68811485
You've got it backwards, mate. Regular police get the little man's rules.
>>
>>68812821
Only if you're working for some entity involved in implementing the scheme. Freelancers aren't affected by the section you've posted.
>>
>>68826456
Nope.
> contracted service provider, in relation to a designated communications provider, means a person who performs services for or on behalf of the provider, but does not include a person who performs such services in the capacity of an employee of the provider
A freelancer would come under (iii)
>>
>>68826498
Some water, and they'd be fine.
>>
>Can't look at lolicon because they calss it as CP
>Can't look at flat chested porn stars because it could be mistaken for CP
>Gotta put backdoors in encrypted apps but only for the unwashed masses. One rule for them. One rule for us.
Ausfalia is on several levels with the UK. I wonder who has the most criminals running the country.
>>
>>68810501
so, does it mean using https is a criminal activity in Kangarooland?
>>
>>68826557
No.
>>
>>68826899
sad
>>
Hm, I expect this to become very popular with other gubmints. I can already hear the justifications.
>we are looging ad many things, indaned can not be exembt from law, Australian model bevy gud
>>
>>68827149
>our current system is so outdated and falling behind the times, look at how well the new australian system performs, we should emulate it
>>
>>68810501
>australia will become devoid of any technology
>>
>>68827149
They worked together with New Zealand, the USA, Canada and the UK on this.
>>
>>68827216
Yeah, expected as much, don't think a 5 eyes state would act alone in this, I was more thinking of European countries.
>>
>>68827216
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

This?
>>
>>68827253
The EU respects your right to privacy. See GDPR.
>>
>>68826539
>>Can't look at lolicon because they class it as CP

How hard is this actually enforced ? Would just looking at images on a booru get you in trouble?
>>
>>68827484
They would need a good reason to raid you and that usually requires a warrant. I think they would want you for more than loli for them to bother with that.
>>
If the political class orders you to do something you better do it or face the consequences.
>>
>>68826498
>if you find a flaw in a protocol and announce it, you face gaol time
someone tell me im not reading this right
this shirley wouldn't apply to hobbyists/bughunters right?
>>
too late
>>
>>68827656
It looks like it would only apply to people looking on behalf of the owner, but I wouldn't want to test that.
>>
>>68826539
>one rule for them one for us
That's how the world has worked and will work.
This equality before the law thing is a pure cultural fluke and something nobody wants not even those who benefit the most from it.
>>
File: laputan machine.png (156 KB, 540x291)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>68821909
>>
>>68827311
Germany in particular seems fairly paranoid about privacy. Which is shame that the other nations don't follow suit.
>>
>>68826498
I meant someone who was not interacting with the active parties at all - an independent security researcher. The man in the street, so to speak.
>>
>>68828326
I presume it's the based Ossis who endured half a century of Stasi.
>>
>>68828493
Probably. They've even banned Windows 10 in government use cause of the way the system is updated
>>
>>68827149
Here they call it "harmonizing with international standards" and it makes me REEE pretty hard.
>>
just bravo australia, bravo.
>>
>>68811948

More like end to end encryption services will be defacto illegal in Australia, because under the mandate of this law, any software you provide to the end user MUST have keys available for law enforcement to decrypt any content requested on said platform.

That means that you can either abandon the continent of all users & revenue to avoid jail, or if you intend to operate within, you MUST under threat of jail time and legal consequence, design your application in a way such that it can be broken into and anything can be read and extracted WITHOUT the end user being made aware of this fact.

This applies to: hospital software, so now that's basically a HIPPA violation assuming that AUS has HIPPA equivalent laws. It applies to the financial sector, now the entire banking industry is wide fucking open for anyone to exploit willy nilly--and to claim that there can be no bad actors in governance is laughably arrogant and idiotic.

It applies to stock brokers, e-commerce, all online retailers, any entity that relies on establishing secure tunnels for handling sensitive information, including PII.

The bill basically makes it so that if you want to operate in Australia, you need to redesign your software without telling anyone about introducing an easily exploitable backdoor that can potentially bankrupt your company, or you and everyone who objects or learns of, will go to jail.

Suddenly, any company that does a risk analysis and looks at Australia is going to go "to operate here, we basically need to account for a chapter 11 with anything we do... LOLNOPE. NO THANK YOU."
>>
what's australia's end game with this
>>
>>68829879

Consolidation of power at the top. Politicians are all about power, and power corrupts absolutely. Power also means an aggregation of wealth, at point which they all look at Russia, China, EU, and US. They see the multi-millionaires and billionaires and the kind of power and money they wield and think "yeah, I'd like me some of that."

This, helps them get closer and closer into those upper circles. The average citizen is completely powerless to do anything about it--and majority of the citizenry are too busy with work, life responsibilities, and then mindless entertainment to destress to care about the actual shit that needs to be cared about.
>>
>>68829974
so basically the neets will save us all
>>
>>68829984

No, the neets won't save us; they're too busy masturbating to 2D. They've already mentally checked out of reality.
>>
>>68830132
d-delet
>>
>>68811805
But that would violate the GDPR.
Do I want euros or didgeridollars?
>>
>>68830218
Those dollarydoos will be worth FA when the tech talent high tails it.
>>
Keked

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.