[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: crucible-stats.jpg (52 KB, 500x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Hey guys. Ive got a question for you, but let me give you some background.

Ive signed up for the marines and am doing PT segments to get ready for Boot camp. While I'm making progress, there's one thing I'm terrified of. The crucible.
60 lbs of gear in 48 miles in 54 hours. Two meals, 6 hours of sleep.
Completing this will, in my own way, kill some demons in my past that need killing.

So my question is, what routines can I do every day to make steady progress and help me through boot, and destroy that final challenge?
>>
>>51543789
Everyone makes it through boot as long as you’re not a complete fuckup
The DIs are gonna smoke you all the time anyways, so there’s really only so much you can do to prepare
As long as you show up to boot able to do 10 dead hang pull ups, run a 3 mile in under 24 minutes, and be able to bang out at least 60 push ups and crunches, you’re Gucci.
Don’t even worry about rucking, it won’t become important until much later
Unless you want to do something high speed like recon, in which case you’ve gotta be a PT stud.
>>
>>51543789
>>51543835
Thank you for fighting for the best country in the history of human civilization.
>>
File: D9wlW5TVUAA0Z9Q.jpg (210 KB, 1500x1500)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
Its not that bad, its pretty fucking terrible but your not gonna die or drop out once you get to that point. The hikes and usual PT months before in bootcamp actually prepare you for this.
t. former crayon eater
>>
>>51543789
Your biggest enemy won’t be being strong enough, it’ll be fatigue. It’s 48 hours long and with 4 hours of sleep included, but if you get fucked and draw firewatch like I did, you’ll be running on 2. Boot will prepare you for the physical challenges, and you’ll be adequately fed and hydrated - MRE’s are packed with calories and carbs.

My best tip would be to take care of your feet and just work. Don’t watch the time, don’t think about how much further you have, just do. You’ll be home before you know it.
>>
>>51543789
Prepare to take orders from a woman who can’t do a single pull-up grunt.
>>
>>51545476
>civilian trying to give criticism on life he knows nothing about

Anyway OP by the time you reach the Crucible (btw ship out soon if possible so its not extremely hot or cold, fyi summer in Parris Island is ass lol) you should be physically ready. Boot camp is just one large dive into a pile of shit then every week they just add a somewhat noticeable shovel to the pile. As long as you dont go in as a fatbody or a weakbody your 12 weeks leading up will prepare you
>>
>>51543789
You know where most people drop out? When you're on the footprints. The part with the lowest dropout percentage is the crucible because if you go 13 weeks of that shit then what does a few days matter
>>
>>51543789
Dude if women can do it it cant be that bad.
>>
>>51544307
I thought they are in the us army, damn
>>
Boot camp is not that bad.
SOI is where it starts to suck.
It gets shittier in the fleet, but the weekends make up for it because I get shitfaced and fuck Japanese qts.
>>
>>51543789
The crucible is possible one of the easiest fucking things in the world. If you are of even average fitness then you can physically do it no problem. The mental part is what gets at you so be sharp, cool, calm, and collected. Most importantly, have that drive to succeed. Never let yourself fall behind the pack, never let yourself drop out, and help those around you when they fall behind you. My main advice though? Take it one day at a time and soak up what you can each day, it'll suck and the days go by slowly, weeks go by fast, and before you know it you are holding that EGA in the palm of your hands.

Now for a routine, Do your pullups every other day, do some pushups to balance it out, and get your cardio in check. If you can get even 10 pullups and a 22 minute 3 mile then you will have no real issues with boot.

>t. USMC Air traffic Control, NG Memefantry
>>
>>51545704
Eh buddy, fucking jap qt's every weekend in Oki was a dreeeeeam
>>
Honestly it’s the only modicum of fun you’re going to have there.
>>
>>51543789
Also OP, here you go, take your pick from some of these routines

>https://www.reddit.com/r/militaryfitness/comments/5k2tp4/collected_resources/
>>
>>51544307
I dont think he is old enough to have fought as a legionnaire of the Roman Empire, senpai
>>
>>51545607
I did the Crucible during a time when they were testing out allowing males and females to do it at the same time. We were not allowed to interact or look at each other. Almost all of them passed but during our graduation week more than 3/4 of them were on crutches for broken hips/knees due to the weight of the packs and rucks.

Shortstacks have it tough since the packs are about as big as they are.
>>
>>51545596
This. I went to recruit training back in the day and most drops lose their nerve pretty early on. You’re gonna end up getting sick in the middle of it too so be prepared for that. Just be able to surpass the standards and don’t try to be a PT stud and get hurt. They’ll set you up for success on the Crucible

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.