[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: BvsD.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Can you guys give me any insight as to why my instructor changed my barbell bench press for a dumbbell bench press? Which one is better and why?
>20kg (without counting the bar) with barbell
>28kg with dumbbells

Been lifting for 2 month btw
>>
>>51154977
I personally prefer barbell for flat bench and dumbbell for incline bench, although getting the dumbbells to the right position to lift can be annoying when you reach heavy weights
>>
>>51154977
>instructor
not gonna make it
do starting strength and watch videos to learn correct form on the main compound lifts, personal trainers are worthless and dont know what the fuck they're doing
>>
>>51154977
Do both
>>
>>51155017
It's not really a personal trainer, it's the guy who's at the gym and is probably a P.E teacher, I asked him for some advice and he completely changed my routine.
>>
>>51154977
you are probably much weaker on one side
>>
>>51155060
Well I guess, the dumbbell on the left side gets really heavy at the last reps
>>
>>51155049
>he completely changed my routine
post it
>>
>>51154977
DBs activate more stabilizer muscles and help resolve muscle imbalances.

I've swapped out barbell and Db presses for standing one handed cable machine punches.
Works out core at same time and get an awesome range of motion.
>>
>>51155127
>>Dat functional twisting rotating core workout
>>
>>51155049
fuck him, I surpassed every "trainer" at the gym all by myself in less than a year by completely disregarding everyone's advice srs, go watch mark rippletits channel, alan thrall, omarisuf, The Last Natural, these really helped me when I didn't have much of a clue on what to do at the gym
>>
>>51155036
/thread
>>
>>51154977
Can you tell me why shitskins, gooks and niggers are coming into europe and whites are letting them???!!! How the fuck am i suppose to know the answer to your question you fucking bellend!!!
>>
>>51155107
>Dumbbell concentration curls (10 reps)
>Inclined dumbbell bench press (10 reps)
>Flat dumbbell bench press (10 reps)
>Dumbbell Front Raises
>Timed leg extension (6 secs 10reps)
>Leg press (10 reps) (one leg at a time)
>Abs (plank, sit ups, lying leg raise, back extension) (15 reps)
>body-weight squats without bar (10 reps)
>Dumbbell Front Raises (10 reps)
>Overhead triceps extension (10 reps)
and another one for legs but I don't know what is called
>>
>>51155238
is this supposed to be 1 workout? because then it's absolute dogshit
>>
File: 1559968715592.jpg (135 KB, 360x394)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>51155179
Well anon, they are flooding Europe because the US and Israel are attacking and starving their countries so that they have to leave for a "better world" zionism is what's called.
>>
>>51155017
your a fuckin literal npc bro
>>
>>51155262
1 workout 3 times a week
>>
>>51155282
how fucking lazy are you that you can't even be bothered to read the sticky or look into an actual routine instead of this weak shit.

I see so many twinks like you do these retarded routines and never make any progress. You probably think that just going to the gym is some kind of victory, it's not. I really don't get this pathetic mindset.
>>
>>51154977
I used to think dumbbell was better, but barbell is actually safer for your shoulders because you can only go down so far. With DBs you can lower them beyond your shoulder joint, plus there's the issue of putting them down, and i'm pretty sure that's how i tore my labrum.
>>
>>51154977
>my instructor
>Been lifting for 2 month btw

I can certify that this poster is NGMI
>>
>>51155238
jesus fucking christ anon, what are you doing.
Please tell me you aren't actually giving this person money?
>>
>>51155282
type into google 3 day split. Pick any of them that include compound lifts. Compound lifts are squats, bench, ohp, dips, bent over row, and pull-ups. I would say pick one that includes those and adds some random isolation exercise. Isolation are things that work just one muscle like curls or tricep extensions.

Your current routine is absolute garbage. You shouldn’t be hitting your whole body every time you go to the gym, you workout in sections.
>>
I'd prefer barbell if I had to pick one, dumbbells are much more awkward to get into position and really awkward one you get near 2 plate, barbell is simple and you can focus more on the lift

I do both though
>>
>>51155265
I'd rather be NPC than dyel
>>
>>51155127
>>51155135

My lifts for barbell, dumbbell, cable punches:

Dumbbell (lb per hand):
5x5x70lb
5x10x50lb

Barbell/benchpress (total):
5x5x205lb
5x10x155lb

Cable punches (one handed):
5x5x120lb
5x10x100lb

Reason i do one handed is because I only weigh 170lbs. Counteracting 120lbs of backwards/sideways rotation force is a task in itself.

But my objective is to combine as many exercises as possible to be time efficient and optimize gains. This gives DOMS to obliques and hip adductors/abductors.

I looked up "cable machine punches" and cant really find any good images. I wonder why it's not more popular.
>>
>>51154977
Barbell gives the better pump.
>>
>>51155238
Yikes!
>>
>>51155238
0 exercises for back, weird order for exercises.

Looks pretty shit dawg.
>>
>>51155238
I won't even bother trying to correct that, it's pure garbage.
>>
File: 1546026433355m.jpg (46 KB, 1024x699)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>tfw when you have to do barbell because your gym only goes up to 100lb dumb bells
>>
>>51155597
I forgot the cable back rows, I do those as well
>>
>>51155238
Ok real talk time. No memes.

Dude, wtf are you doing? You’re a beginner. You should be doing almost exclusively big compound lifts for at least 6 months...if you want an easy progression template, literally google “4chan greyskull” or “reddit greyskull”

They are both good, both proven, and both easy to follow

Also, and I cannot stress this last point enough... please please, PLEASE, stop being such a giant faggot.

Eat right, sleep right, and you’ll do great.
>>
>>51155127
It’s your muscle building coach Lee Hayward here! I’m gonna show you how to get a great stretch with this high range of motion excercise.
>>
>>51155238
Your personal trainer is ripping you off
>>
>>51155720
Idk why but this post reminds me of /fit/ from 4 or 5 years ago
>>
>>51155688
How about a fucking deadlift or some rows you huge homo?
>>
File: fit greyskull.png (37 KB, 700x600)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>51155720
Will this one work anon?
>>
>>51155238
Oof
I'm all for someone getting a coach. Especially if he aspires to compete.
But this is absolute trash.
First of all, I hope there's multiple sets containing those reps you listed.
Second, if you're absolute dogshit weak, sure you might actually need a little "general strength" training...

But this?
This aint it.

You'd be better off doing reddit tier calisthenics for a few months, perhaps a reddit ppl (metallicadpa or whatever they have on there)
Like another anon said, you can easily surpass trainers through self education. And rippetoe's starting strength truly is a great book for beginners.
and if you have the means, get a real coach. Coach, not personal trainer, not instructor, coach.
>>
>>51155833
I'm >>51155887. This is god tier.
As I pointed out, you might lack the strength to train an empty bar even, but if not, do this program.
Starting strength: read it so you learn the proper technique.
Few weeks later read again.
Few months later read again.
Then move on.
then read again.
Permutate.
>>
>>51154977
Dumbells are better in many ways, but they're much harder to overload; unless you're really lucky with dumbells that go up by 2.5 lbs, any increase will be 10 lbs (both sides total), which will be hard to maintain for long
>>
>>51154977
I have recently learned after a debilitating shoulder impingement that I should have been using dumbbells all along. I have a severe body imbalance that favors my left arm which puts most of the strain and work to my left side
>>
>>51154977
why the fuck arent you counting the bar
>>
>>51154977

Do I lose out on a lot if I do them from the floor?
>>
>>51156185
The bar is attached to your hands, why would you count it?
>>
>>51158582
t-thats now how it works...
>>
>>51158792
Lol then do you count the bones in your hands too? Good luck tracking that shit.
>>
Barbell bench = more stability and easier set-up, better for strength progression

Dumbbell = you have to provide more stability yourself which can be a plus, and can sometimes get better depth

As others said, both is good to do.
>>
>>51159924
So if I decided to grab a 45lb plate and do front raises, I'd have to have to discount the weight of the handles my hands are holding on, making it a 40 lb plate?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.