[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fit/ - Fitness


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



>/fit/ on suicide watch
let this be knows that ketotards and carnifags are low human

>https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-did-gladiators-eat
>>
>>50807161
Meat's expensive. Why would they give the good shit to the guy who's going to get mauled by a lion the next day?
>>
>>50807161
>Literal slaves used for entertainment purposes were fed shit
Yeah
>>
>>50807161
Gladiators are literally slaves.
>>
Gladiators were slaves
Socrates recommended feeding slaves grains and vegetables to keep them weak but functional
>>
>>50807193
>>50807198
That’s also how the legionaries ate
>>
>>50807206
>keep them weak but functional
not only was socrates an idiot this doesnt make any sense
>>
>>50807219
Meat makes you strong
Pretty simple
>>
>>50807227
So weak
>>
>>50807193
>>50807198
>>50807201
>>50807206
4 people who have never read a history book.

Gladiators were more like sports figures today, they were well cared for and well trained. They did not usually die in the arena, deaths were uncommon. It was much more akin to modern wrestling (though not fake) in the sense that gladiators would get famous and have rivalries and such.
Gladiators were bought and sold to other trainers and other schools just like footballers and such. They could be very expensive.

So they weren't just given a shitty slaves diet, they were given what the Romans thought was the best for them.

But OP is presuming gladiators were bodybuilders. They weren't, they needed the strength to use their equipment and that's it, which is perfectly reasonable on a fatty carb diet.
>>
>>50807161

> Mostly Vegetarian must mean the 100% absence of animal products is the way to be build like a gladiator from the movies

Mostly Vegetarian is VASTLY different to complete vegan. Even a diet low in animal proteins will still build muscle if there is surplus of calories like carbs. They did get some eggs too.

If you ate a truck load of carbs and then you threw in a few eggs and you train your ass off you will gain muscle and probably fat too.

You honestly wouldn't want to be legit built like gladiators however. They weren't ripped in real life either. In fact they ate enough of the low quality food to maintain an inch of fat over their abs because this helped protect them.

You want muscle size with defintion, well, unless you're on steroids you probably don't want to try doing that as a vegan.
>>
>>50807227
what?
how?
meat doesnt have any glucose.
>>
>Well, you might do it to improve their battlefield performance. The Vienna team posits that the fighters ate weight-gaining foods because extra fat created a layer of bodily protection. Nerve endings would have been less exposed, and bleeding cuts would have been less perilous. As an added benefit, the extra, protective layer of fat would have created a more satisfying spectacle: The gladiators could sustain wounds and gush blood, but, because the wounds were shallow, they could keep on fighting.

I know I'm supposed to be just imagining slightly chubby dudes who can shrug off a wound that hits fat, but when I read this I just imagine sumo wrestler-fat guys taking gashes to the abdomen.
>>
>>50807253
this thread was never about veganism
such cope mate
>>
>>50807161
>Slaves ate slave food
This is supposed to mean what now?
>>
>>50807245
you aren't a fucking rhino dipshit
>>
>>50807278
>slaves that were superior to the rich in any way
hm
>>
>>50807249
I mean i dont know why you all assume gladiators were some muscle bound strong men. Well i do know why, because thats what they look like in the movies.

Well movies use actors who lift for those roles. They dont hire actual gladiators.

Never trust movies for this shit. Have you seen hacksaw ridge, theres one guy in it who is huge and ripped to the extreme, he's supposed to be an ordinary marine. There's no fucking way a marine would have had that body, especially not in the 40s. He's just a built actor doing the role.
>>
>>50807271
We need to remember that in those times fat people were rare. It would look quite impressive to see a builtfat dude kitted out in the arena.
>>
>>50807295
Fuck you brah
>>
is this based on Galen's writings?
>>
>>50807275

Nice try. It's clearly a dig at anyone who eats meat. It repeats an argument vegans bring up over and over... along with chimps being vegans (they aren't) and big herbivores that break down cellulose.

The "muh vegetarians and almost vegetarians", or the emediately post WW2 Japanese and all that.

You wear the arguments of vegans, bring up common vegan arguments, then deny it's about shilling veganism.
>>
>>50807328
you have some serious mental issues.
fucking idiot
>>
>>50807161
High protein diets are one of the biggest memes that have ever existed in this world. Your body recycles most of its protein, all of that extra protein your body doesn't fucking need just gets metabolized into calories. You might as well just eat more carbohydrates and lipids instead you fucking brainlets. As a matter of fact your ordinary diet should provide more than enough protein, but hey fuck it let me just keep buying this tub of whey and all of these other dumbass supplements because all of the fitness faggots are doing it.
>>
>>50807374

What a great argument. Very convincing.
>>
>>50807161

>force people to fight for amusement to the death
>yeah we're going to feed them expensive food
>>
>>50807411
Post proof that is the case in non-sedentary individuals.
>>
>>50807428
>>force people to fight for amusement to the death
They rarely died.
>>
>>50807328
Did a vegan steal your girl or what?
>>
>>50807253
What’s so special about animal protein?
>>
>>50807420
there is no reason to argue about something that was never the topic of this discussion you mental blop
>>
>gladiators didn't eat diets that modern fat asses eat to lose weight

No shit? How is these even controversial. Its 2019 literally everyone should know that carbs =performance and meat = recovery. Their grueling training and performance means they need a shitload of carbs, all of which they probably burn through.
>>
>>50807458
Animal products result in atherosclerosis that impairs recovery and athletic performance.
>>
Well they are all dead now. Veg fags btfo
>>
>>50807258
>glucose makes you strong
what?
how? glucose doesn't have any sterons
>>
>>50807161
No shit, slave niggas couldn't afford to eat protons anyway so wtf you tryna prove
>>
spartans ate lots of meat

>>50807374
no u
>>
>>50807436
yeah they used blunt weapons and usually they would tap out before any damage was done. like right before a killing blow landed they would pause and the winner was declared.
even if you did get stabbed it was no big deal. you can take a trident through the skull and basically just walk it off. a mace shatters your arm? lmao who cares at least you didn't die amirite?
>>
>>50807206
>get a load of this autistic shite
He recommended feeding helots/agri-farmers a poor diet to keep them docile. Not your house slaves, or your cup bearer, or what equates to your NFL superstars
>>
I want to remind you fuckers that Gladiator by Ridley Scott is bullshit and and cannot count as historical source by any men.
>>
>>50807766
Obviously they got injured but the bloody deaths you see in movies is mostly false, at least amongst actual gladiators. Those guys were the sports stars of the day.

You'd sure see lots of prisoners get brutalised though.
>>
>>50807212
Legionaires are plebs with swords. How did the nobility eat?
>>
>>50807766
>what is a purposely blunted sword
>what is a purposely blunted trident
>what is a make with a hollow core
>what is understand that getting those few people in society capable of entertaining the slobbering masses killed is detrimental to the end game of dying a rich, foreign pussy crushing tyrant
>>
>>50807258
proteinum et ferrum, culus virgineus
>>
>>50807249
Get loads of this guy.
Gladiators were no hobos that they will throw in the ring to die. They were the rockstars of the era, since slave houses would own several gladiators as "teams" and would train them to compete. Of course, Gladiator that wins gladiator that is still alive, and with every victory get more fame. They were the MMA fighters of the past.
>>
>>50807504
what is this meme
>>
>>50807161
Of course, Romans knew about how eating carbs would bloat you up, add a layer of subcutaneous fat that made them less prone to injury. This fact isn’t something against carnivores at all, just confirming what we now know again; high carb and fat diet makes you fat.
>>
>>50807308

This, but I think the point is that people whose whole job it is to fight for their lives were not /fit/ and that speaks to the bigger problem in modern fitness: too much emphasis on literal shape and not health/ability.
>>
>>50807161
>The article itself literally calls the diet in question "fattening"
>OP calls people retards for using a different diet to do the opposite
Great thread.
>>
>they literally eat what makes livestock fat to fatten up to absorb injuries and display better
That's not the purpose today, it's for poor people food
>>
>>50807411
This kills the protein powder shills
>>
>>50807411
>https://plagueofstrength.com/the-simplicity-of-dieting-it-really-is/
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529694/#!po=57.9365
>http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2016/10/latest-study-shows-that-33-gkg-high.html
>http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/1/127
>https://news.gsu.edu/2018/09/10/researchers-identify-molecule-with-anti-aging-effects-on-vascular-system-study-finds/
>https://breakingmuscle.com/healthy-eating/why-all-humans-need-to-eat-meat-for-health
>>
>>50807161
Gladiators were also lean and dyel.
>>
>>50807193
This. In ancient India for example meat was given only to the warrior-ruler class.
>>
>>50807161
>let's eat like the slaves did 5,000 years ago!

Fuck off with this Buzzfeed tier bait.
>>
>>50807161
they also trained all day every day and so actually utilized those carbs
>force feeding yourself kilograms of oat and pea porridge every day to get the same amount of protein you could get from 3 chicken breasts
>shitting (all over the floor) 15 times a day from all the fibre
if they knew what protein was they probably would've fed them meat instead of horse food
but they didn't because they were dumb degenerates and that's why they're all dead

>i'm not a lardass because i eat donuts all day, i'm just a misunderstood gladiator!
- the fucking retard this kind of article is aimed at. everything ever published to the internet is garbage, go lift weights
>>
File: Meat-our-Family-1.jpg (99 KB, 762x727)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Yup https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/sep/powerful.htm
https://archive.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/gladiator.html
>>
>>50807834
Nobility were lazy fat fucks, why do they matter?
>>
>>50807212
>That’s also how the legionaries ate
How do marines eat today?
>>
>>50810983
>that's why they're all dead
Ahh yes of course. If only they weren't degenerates they would still be alive
>>
They were slaves you fucking moron. The ones that lived definitely won the genetic lottery. They're not to be looked up to from a fitness perspective.

Also, Neck yourself.
>>
>>50807249
they were called "barley men" because they ate so much barley, they were basically just fed like cattle.
>>
File: 1523413455376.jpg (167 KB, 1024x829)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
9 months ago I started not to eat pork.
Then I decided to cut out beef.
My health started to improve slowly. The first thing I noticed was my blood pressure became better.
One month ago I started to become a vegetarian.
It was hard at first, but the feeling of wellbeing I was getting was worth it. Even my appearance looks better. I recommend everyone try it for at least one week and see how you feel.
>>
>>50807249
This, people tend to think gladiators were human cockfighters that fight to the death, in reality they were prized and taken care of
>>
>>50807249
Um sweetie I've watched 4 seasons of Sparticus. I think I know what I'm talking about mmmmk
>>
>>50807161
Gladiators were fat.
>>
>>50807245
Oh, do eat plankton then. Or cellulose, just eat tree bark. You're clearly not human after all.
>>
>>50807249
The OP literally has a picture of buff, built gladiators.
>>
File: 5784516d6b307.image.jpg (175 KB, 1200x800)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
I'll never give up my haggis, tatties, and scotch
>>
>>50811467
You got any more pictures of this qt?
>>
Gladiators were not aesthetic
Being overweight would help if they got cut
Modernity fetishists them
>>
>>50807161
What they mean is one gladiator at one specific location was a vegetarian and then decided to write an article saying OMG GLADIATORS WERE TOTALLY VEGETARIAN OMG YOU DONT NEED MEAT!!1
>>
>>50807321
No wonder africans evolved to run fast. Jesus christ.
>>
>>50807295
Don't tell me what I am asshole
>>
Alright what did the Spartans eat then
>>
>>50807212
grain is easy to store and transport
they ate meat whenever it was practical
>>
>>50807193

I recall a period Greek author remarking that an Olympian's diet was not suitable for a soldier because it was overwhelmingly meat heavy and not viable for soldiers for that reason (the sheer amount of meat you'd need to supply).
>>
>>50807161
Hi /fit/, /his/ here, with some primary sources for you to consider

>"The Romans staged spectacles of fighting gladiators, a practice they were given by the Etruscans, not merely at their festivals and in their theatres, but also at their banquets. That is, some would invite their friends to dinner and to other pleasant pastimes, but in addition they might witness two or three pairs of gladiators. When they were all sated with dining and drink, they called in the gladiators. No sooner did one have his throat cut than the masters applauded with delight."
>Nicolaus of Damascus, Athletica (IV.153)
In this primary source, an outsider describes a gladiator fight as a routine occurrence in Roman society, with every moderately sized town having a gladiator "school", which was really more like a prison where inmates were trained to fight to the death.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/02/140225-gladiator-school-discovered-roman-austria-archaeology-science/

>"The men have no defensive armour. They are exposed to blows at all points, and no one ever strikes in vain....There is no helmet or shield to deflect the weapon. What is the need of defensive armour, or of skill? All these mean delaying death....The spectators demand that the slayer shall face the man who is to slay him in his turn; and they always reserve the latest conqueror for another butchering. The outcome of every fight is death, and the means are fire and sword. This sort of thing goes on while the arena is empty"
>Seneca, Epistle VII
The elite few who "made it to the big leagues" enjoyed a reasonable chance of success (about 4 out of 5 of the ones wealthy enough to afford their own tombstone reached retirement age) but for jobbers, local jokers, condemned criminals, and prisoners of war, it would have been a short, brutal career.
>>
>>50811817
this. look at your typical pro wrestler body, sure there's some that have abs but a lot of them carry fat. If you're getting the shit beat out of you every night, especially with weapons, you need to carry some extra fat to reduce injury.
>>
>>50807161
>>
>>50811127
Joe Rogan had a guest who thoroughly debunked veganism and criticized vegetarianism

Basically the hook that catches so many of people like you is that when the average person cuts out meats, it is probably more of them cutting out fast food meats as opposed to butcher bought stuff.

Obviously you'll start to feel better if you stop going to McDonalds.
>>
>>50811904
The Spartan staple was "Black soup", made from a combination of pig blood and vinegar.
>>
>>50807328
Gorillas are tho.
>>
>>50812122
I like joe but most of his guests are total shills m8.
>>
>>50807212
legions ate like that because they had no choice. they ate mostly grain (milled into flour by hand) and dried meat. at home they blew their pensions on fancy meals though
>>
>>50807161
>Gladiators were slaves
No shit?
I wonder what the Mandingo diet was
>>
>>50807212
The majority of agricultural societies ate grains. Meat was something only nobility could eat in large quantities. This should be surprising to nobody.
>>
>>50807206
That was Cato the Elder
>>
>>50807161
i believe it
they were disposable slaves


now look into the diets of conquerors like the nordic vikings and the mongolians
i guarantee you that you will find a meat-based diet
>>
If you are considering a vegetarian or vegan diet, I would highly recommend it for the benefit of your health and the benefit of this planet we share. All you have to do is look around you to know that our current course is not healthy. I can tell you from my personal experience that it changed my life! I would encourage you to do the research to ensure that you are getting the nutrients that you need in your diet and to not just ‘go vegan’ uninformed. I have many resources available on my blog.
>>
>>50812199
they have solid educational backgrounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtqCBimr6U

read the video description
>>
>>50812199
birds of the same feather
>>
>>50807212
>landless peasents who were literally one step above slaves also ate like shit
what a surprise
>>
>>50812199
>>50812338
wrong video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUL78hbkLA

This guy very cleanly dismantles veganism
>>
>>50807161
The mongol empire was carnivore 99% of the time as well, and they weren't slaves
>>
>>50812320
> for the benefit of your health
> doesn't know deuterium
> doesn't know randle cycle
> gets btfo by bart kay every day
>>
>>50810983

Your mom is calling from upstairs. Dinner is ready. Yes, you're elite for posting on the 4chins. You need to go to bed early because school tomorrow.
>>
>>50811467

Holy fuck, I'm Scottish now. Can I haz babiez with, pls?
>>
>>50812422

Jamie, pull that up!
>>
>>50807328
damn son did a vegetable kill your parents? why you so mad at vegans
>>
>>50811467
>>50811794

Found her. Amanda Ford of WIlmington, NC, US. Sorry for the ZuckLink.

https www.facebook com/GrandfatherMtn/photos/amanda-ford-of-wilmington-nc-pictured-with-the-110-pound-caber-she-successfully-/10153620271895843/
>>
>>50807880
>Spartacus please go
Your horrible grammar gave you away. Gladiator shill.
>>
>>50807249
this anon has actually been to rome and the Colosseum and learned
>>
saying gladiators didn't die is like saying american football players don't get CTE
>>
>>50807249
Boxer here, my diet is 40% carbs, 30% good fats (nuts, fish) and 30% proteins. You need carbs for energy to train.
>>
>>50807249
and besides, having fat was extra protection against cuts and damage. They were not ripped it would be counterproductive anyway so high carb diet makes sense.
>>
>>50812451
>The mongol empire was carnivore 99%
lol
>>
>>50812807
>good fats
>nuts
>>
>>50812290
lol vikings were farmers. they were primarily vegetarians too.
>>
>>50807161
Gladiators were also fat fucks so they could be cut and spill blood for the audience without dying.

Also meat was a delicacy, you didn't just give it to fucking slaves
>>
File: 1491410480764.jpg (45 KB, 545x511)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>50807161
>What were essentially still Persians fed their slaves a shit diet

The greatest warriors in Rome were vegetarian confirmed
>>
>>50812170
That's why they are dicklets
>>
>>50814574
He's lying, though they relied heavily on animal products.
>>
>>50807308
I can agree with that. They were not ripped as we think they were. They probably had lot of functional strenght or how do you guys in here call it and some decent muscles but that’s it.


Also Hacksaw ridge was great movie and I know what guy you are talking about. Was it the guy who liked to walk around naked to get mires?
>>
Wait a minute, the article says:
>nearly 2,000-year-old gladiator grave

But the link it gives says:
>from a gladiator cemetery which dates back to the 2nd or 3rd century BC in the then Roman city of Ephesos

Ephesos wasn't Roman in the 3rd century. So we may not even be talking about Romans, here.

Also we have no way of knowing if this diet was consistent across all gladiator schools (which is unlikely) or if it was a specific diet favoured by this one school (which is more likely, just like today's football teams having different dietary rules)

Basically, its interesting (except the confusing dates) but the article is retarded.
Also the paper clarifies:
>The word "barley eater" relates in this case to the fact that gladiators were probably given grain of an inferior quality.

So fuck you to the guy saying random gladiators in Turkey were treated like Cristiano Ronaldo due to their immense value.
>>
>>50812506
>you're elite
damn that a term i havent heard in a while. based and boomerpilled
>>
>>50807245
Ok. Now feed that same rhino his normal diet but with some protein supplements and see what happens
>>
>>50807445
Its got all the essential aminoacids in one source
>>
>>50807258
You can make glucose
>>
>>50811048
>MREs
>all powdered or prepackaged food with infinite shelf life
Like shit.
>>
>>50812254
Underrated post
>>
>>50807161
>glorified slaves were fed shitty food, science finds
Unbelievable! How will fit ever recover? You want to be a malnourished slave, dont you?
>>
>>50807219
If I recall correctly this is mentioned in Plato's Republic.
The idea was workers would be fed barley cakes and not meat because they perceived that meat would make you tall, strong, smart. More than people that did not get meat anyway.
So to have a stable system the workers would be kept weak and dumb because if they got strong and smart they might decide they should be in the elite caste.
>>
>>50807249
>Gladiators were more like sports figures today, they were well cared for and well trained

maybe the successful ones, but for the average chump, no.
>>
>>50807219
>socrates was an idiot
>>
>armchair historians
you realize there was no viable way to store meat right? Everything had to be eaten fresh or it went off, things like preserving with salt or brine was difficult. The difference in growth between people then and now is because we can have better diets with more variety including meats.
>>
>>50812839
holy shit, kill yourself.
>>
>>50807258
1 - meat does have small amounts of glucose
2 - your body already makes glucose
3 - glucose dos not makes you "strong"
4 - you're a retard
>>
>>50815980
There’s plants that have all the amino acids as well anon.
>>
>>50817251
>preserving with salt
>difficult
who did you say the armchair historian was?
>>
>>50812807
if you use them that's fine. but for most people eating a lot of carbs is utterly idiotic. Also, if you want to last longer you want to change to keto because you don't need to refuel as much.
>>
>>50819391
Salt also was more valuable, hence salary. Access to meat was more involved than walking to the perimeter of the shopping market.
>>
>>50807161
Golden rule- Animal meat for muscle gains, veggies and fruit for everything else. Balance in everything.
>>
>>50807321
Rhino digeste plants with 4 stomachs they convert it into fat they are always in ketosis just like cows and gorillas because of their gut flora that ferment the herb into fat you are not a rhino and you can't digest plant
>>
>ranker.com
Dropped

Contemporary historians, this is basically an ancient cope. Spartans werent vegetarians, I am literally built to eat meat.

Do you submit?
>>
>>50809956
>this roiding blogger thinks his blog post have any validity

Yikes
>>
>>50815901
>I, for one, welcome our new rhino overlords.
I don't fall for your tricks rhino.
>>
>>50819483
Liver for vitamins and shit. Gelatine for glycine and shit. Fresh oranges for anti-estro thiamine and shit. Milk for easy, stress reduction combined with already named oranges. Insect or Oyster for selenium and shit.
>>
File: KAMUI.png (192 KB, 400x400)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>50807161
>only one diet is good
>you can't change your macros depending on your goals
>hurr meat bad
Shoo shop gains goblin. You are negative
>>
Anyone even read the article? It's full of shit. It assumes they were fat because they ate lots of carbs, but offers ZERO PROOF that gladiators were fat, just supposition. It also assumes that the reason for their thick bones was lots of calcium in the diet, as opposed to being a function of EXERCISE.

Look, guys who basically live for working out need to eat a lot of calories for energy, which means lots of carbs. They get more than enough protein from it because they used sources of carbs that have proteins, i.e. beans and barley.

Basically 'squats and oats.'

My best guess is they were pretty buff.

>>50817251
You're a moron. We have evidence of potted meat from 3K years ago, also, sausage making was used to preserve meats even further back, as detailed in The Illiad.

>>50819384
Beans and barley. As described in the article. Which no one seems to have read.

>>50819417
Another moron. You can't last long on keto because you don't have the caloric content, there are no marathoners on keto. And if your job is basically training to fight 24/7 then you eat lots of carbs because you're constantly working.

>>50816622
>>50807219
>>50807206
Barley is great for workers. There are 198 calories in 1 cup of cooked Barley (Cooked).
Calorie breakdown: 3% fat, 90% carbs, 7% protein. You need calories to work.

Example from modern times, a soldier in the field (marching, digging, etc) needs 4K+ calories a day or over 20 kcals/lb/day.

Imagine 20 cups of barley, hypothetically, that's still 72 grams of protein, not bodybuilder style, but sufficient for lots of work.
>>
>>50807161
>gladiators had shitty diets
Is this really news?
>>
>>50807295
Did you just assume their species?
>>
>>50815766
Speculation from the story, unconfirmed. As to the other, plenty of protein from veggies if you eat enough, and they did, because they were working all day and probably eating well over 4K calories even if they were under 200lbs.

>>50812269
Untrue. There was plenty of meat around in the marketplaces, so much so that early Christians had debates about whether or not to buy it, because much of it for sale had been sacrificed to idols, which were everywhere, and much of it was pork btw.

>>50811956
So is meat. You can store and transport it while it's still alive, and you can pot it, jerk it, make sausage out of it, smoke it, or salt cure it.
>>
>>50807161
Yes but the difference is they didn't drink Dr Pepper
>>
>>50807212
Literally the cheapest thing that will keep them alive and marching
>>
>>50811048
Pretty good, if you like crayons.
>>
>>50807249
Gladiators were notorious fatties.
>>
>>50821819

Normal sedentary human requires 0.8g protein per kg mass to achieve nitrogen stasis. Athletes who aren't actively destroying huge amounts of muscle (let's say a mediocre sprinter doing daily training) require 1.2g/kg.

If you're doing huge amounts of work (say, Michael Phelps) or are a bodybuilder actively trying to attain hypertrophy... you gotta have at least 2g protein/kg every single day. More is probably better. So long as you aren't intaking so much protein that you're fucking up your kidneys or something.... why *wouldn't* you want more protein?

Fuckin' veggie fags, man. Lern2nitrogenpool
>>
>>50815797
How the fuck am I lying? 99% of the time they didn't have non animal based foods

And this doesn't change the fact that a carnivore diet is nutritionally complete, meanwhile a lifelong vegan diet is impossible even today
>>
>>50807161
>eat only plants goy, it will make you alpha like warrior 2000 years ago trust me
seriously whats with all this vegan shilling in last few years? whats the goal? it's not happening for no reason, someone is investing shit ton of money in this campaign. Same with weed, cdb, psychedilics, finasteride, ...
>>
>>50823918
If you give that paper a quick read, you'll know they had access to a few grains, like millet. A vegan diet is retarded, and a 100% carnivorous is too but not because of nutrients.
>>
>>50807161
Carb heavy, fattening, and vegetarian are literally mutually exclusive fucking things. Fat heavy diets would invariably have to rely on meet, unless we are to believe gladiators were just eating avocados all fucking day. Likewise, fucking vegetables are mainly fiber and micronutrients, and dont have excessive amounts of carbs. The fuck is this retarded article?
>>
>>50807161
>not eating meat and vegs

What? Are you an faggot?
>>
>>50807161
>All ancient diets were carb-heavy and mostly vegetarian

FTFY
>>
>>50807374
Kill yourself herbivore scum. Take your pilpul shilling elsewhere.
>>
>>50823892
The level of shilling in this post. No you don't need 0.8g or 2g of protein. You eyeball it by feeling what your body needs. Eliminating desire for sugary shit foods and cultivating discipline for austere foods.
>>
>>50824794
>You eyeball it by feeling what your body needs.
Quality b8.
>>
>>50807271

no need to imagine friend.
>>
>>50811127
why cut out fish?
>>
>>50807864
>Culus Vurginius
based name for a gladiator
>>
Not a single person in this thread has an accurate understanding of the Roman empire. Stop watching History and NatGeo. Pick up a book you illiterate fuckboys.
>>
>>50826141
what is the truth
>>
>>50824047
Do you know what the words "exotic" and "delicacy" mean in the context of food you cunt?
>>
>>50807271
This is fantasy as is most of the so called "history researchers". Ever wondered why ancient people were obsessed with tombs and ritual sites? Fat doesn't prevent anything, blade will cut your arm off in any case and stab will go through your heart. The idiot who wrote the piece has no understanding of anything but tombs and religion. Fantasist like these have ruined human history.
>>
>slaves fed this diet before dying
okay
>>
>ancient civilization had terrible understanding of human body, digestive system
is this an argument
>>
>>50823628
There ARE marathoners on keto though. Keto is superior for endurance. This is a widely accepted fat. Glycogen stores from carbs are for short bursts of energy such as lifting weights or sprinting.
>>
>>50812807
>good fats (nuts, fish)
Nuts have a lot of PUFA iirc. Some fish do as well.
>>
https://outofthiscentury.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/fat-gladiators-modern-misconceptions-regarding-the-dietary-practices-of-swordsmen-of-the-ancient-roman-arena/

You absolute buttblasted faggots.
>>
>>50827952
>random wordpress
>>
>>50823918
m8 pretty much every large empire succeeded because they had at least one carby food such as rice etc. Whilst eating just meat may be nutritionally complete, it's not the healthiest way to go about it. Eating a combination of both meat and plant foods is best.
>>
>>50824097
>>50824146
no one ever said anything about not eating meat you retards
>>
>>50823918
how do modern vegans do it? supplements?
>>
>>50828020
>m8 pretty much every large empire succeeded because they had at least one carby food such as rice
That's because it is more efficient, not because it is healthier.
>>
>>50807161
I went on a tour of the Colosseum and the tour guide said gladiators preferred to be fat because it put more meat between their organs and the sword.
>>
>>50807161
>barley and beans
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

That fucking Colosseum must of stunk on a hot, stagnant day.
>>
>>50828091
>That's because it is more efficient, not because it is healthier.
I agree, but a heavy meat intake is not healthy either. Balance is key. Carnivores and vegans seem to fail there.
>>
>>50828020
That’s because you can’t sustain an empire on meat only, it’s not economical.
>>
>>50828129
>I agree, but a heavy meat intake is not healthy either
Why not?
>>
>>50828093
more blood vessels than organs really, since if a cut on a ksinny man reached organs it'd cut vessels on a fatter guy and kill him anyway, it's also easier to close wounds into adipose tissue since the skin is more elastic and the blood clots faster.
>>
>>50828144
tell that to Lara over at Enjoy Rome tours, i dont give a fuck

if you do contact her can you tell her how fucking gorgeous she is
>>
>>50807320
>We need to remember that in those times fat people were rare.
Obesity was never rare.
>>
>>50807198
This is correct. That one high-carb vegan diet shill almost fooled me with his "barley men" legend until I remembered the poor fucks were typically slaves or debt slaves.
>>
>>50807161
Are you fucking stupid? Every household had multiple pigs and other animals back then
>>
You ever figure that if ancient societies had refrigeration they wouldn't rely on easily stored and long lasting grains?
>>
>>50828119
haha imagine the smell
>>
>>50828256
Are you stupid? In a time were every scrap of food you had to spare could be sold to better the next years crop, ofcourse they only ate what was necessary and ofcourse fat people was rare. Fat people can't work manual labour properly.
>>
>>50828387
>thinking the extremely rich families and nobles did any sort of manual labour

shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>50828360
ok, that's funny
>>
>>50807161
100% clickbait "history"
>>
>>50807161
Yeah meat was precious, and still is. More news at 11.
>>
Gladiators were an expensive investment. Of course they ate meat. Also, studies show that their musculature was similar to an equivalent modern athlete.
>>
>>50827934
Those are the good fats, retard.
>>
>>50828933
No they are not, lol. Enjoy your oxidative stress and suppressed metabolism.
>>
>>50807249
Ok there Commodus
>>
>>50807308
they were just tipped up on adrenaline and testostrone being in this crazy never ending scenario, its like what 100 victories to gain freedom? and the basic training they got probably had insane gains being how juiced up they were mentally readying for combat to the death.
Funny how all these bullshit movies tie together with grains and slave diets, its all a giant bullshit lie
>>
>>50823628
>there are no marathoners on keto

https://youtu.be/96VZFklUM_Q



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.