[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1560295284.jpg (23 KB, 161x217)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Meermin, more like Memein. Fuck reddit brands.
>>
whats wrong with this brand?
>>
>>14401883
It suffered a great deal in quality in recent years. Makes the jump to C&J, Alden etc. all the more worthwhile.
>>
>>14402469
C&J is triple the price point. That’s more than a jump, it’s a marathon.
>>
>>14402478
Considering the longevity and price p.a. it doesn't hurt too much. I find myself wearing the same handful of shoes every week.
>>
>>14402491
yeah, but this logic can be applied to basically anything. If you're trying to build a wardrobe of decent dress shirts, trousers, sweaters, etc, all with competing claims over "oh just price up a bit, it's worth it for longevity", you sometimes have to settle for entry level when it comes to something like leather which is pretty pricey even at the basic bitch tier like meermin. And that's essentially the level that most redditors and fa-channers are at.
>>
You tell em anon
>>
>>14402491
these aren't shoes for someone who wears them every day to work but rather on occaion
>>
>>14401380
Meermin are what people who can't afford Carmina wear. It's that simple.
If you weren't poor you'd have a pair of Carminas instead.
>>
>>14402552
If you don't have a reason to wear leather shoes every day then you're probably a loser. You can wear them in university and white collar jobs. If you were to wear Memeins every day, they would probably fall apart after 1 year.
>>
>>14402880
>If you don't have a reason to wear leather shoes every day then you're probably a loser.
Stop being pretentious.
>You can wear them in university and white collar jobs.
True.
>If you were to wear Memeins every day, they would probably fall apart after 1 year.
You shouldn't wear the same leather shoe every day. Why even base your calculation on that? My two Meermins lasted four years and one is still going strong. Sold the other pair for a good price.
>>
>>14402996
You could wear Alden or C&J or Carmina every day if you wanted to for 4 years before its resole. Did your Memeins fall apart after 4 years using them only occassionally?
>>
>>14403017

How long have you been wearing your Carminas daily now?
>>
>>14402996
Why buy two Meermin when you can buy one Carmina WITH toe taps?
>>
>>14402996
>Sold the other for a good price
You sold a 4 year old pair of budget brand shoes for a "good price"? So, 50 bucks?
>>
>>14403022
If you use them daily just for browsing 4chan, they last 50 years
>>
>>14403049

You larping/reaching/seething fucking niggershitbucket.
>>
If you actually went to try on good shoes, you wouldn't buy Meermin or AE. The difference is immediately noticeable in the fit and finish in person between Meermin/AE/~$250 MSRP shoes, and everything above them.
This is my conclusion after shopping for leather shoes at the actual stores, trying them on:
>shoes with no corners cut start at $400-$450(RETAIL, not outlet, seconds, used or "new without tags")
>add ~$250-$300 for the same shoes with shell cordovan instead of calfskin
>shell cordovan isn't worth it and i think looks ugly, like polyester or polyurethane plastic, not sharp at all, but very round and glossy, and NOT BREATHABLE. Calf is superior
>real heel & toe taps may be worthwhile
>there is no difference in fit and feel between $450 and $1,500 but a difference in details that frankly don't matter to 99.99% of people and I thought were totally vain and masturbatory even relative to buying $500 shoes
>>
>>14403175
I think shell is the biggest meme in the leather industry. It look like patent leather plastic, doesn't stretch, doesn't breath, gets spots and welts when it gets wet and they charge a fortune for it.
It's a meme I will never fall for.
>>
>>14403047
80 bucks. Please refrain from looking down on others. I was a student at the time.
>>14403017
I had a fair rotation at the time.
>>14403038
Already said pair.
>>
>>14403175
I like the look of shell but said breathability is definitely something to factor in. A colleague once purchased shell cordovan penny loafers for summer. You can guess how that played out. Other than the looks part, I agree with you. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

>>14403285
*Already own said pair.
>>
>>14403175
AE are garbage now. Sorry man it's true. I will never buy another pair
Also agree to disagree on shell, I think it looks fantastic
>>
>>14403175
>>14403378
oh I misread your post. you're right about ae sorry
>>
>>14402469
>brands several times more expensive are better than meermin

whoa, who wouldve thought
>>
>>14403439
>reading comprehension the post.
Do you shitpost for a living?
>>
File: 1550131063933.jpg (333 KB, 1106x962)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>14403439
Using MSRP, an essential shoe like a black derby, a Meermin is ~$180 and a Carmina is about ~$450. You also have many more options with Carmina. Meermin doesn't even have a plain black blucher for sale.
You are paying more, but it's actually worth it for shoes. Don't spend $800 or $1,500 because you are throwing money away, but don't spend only $100 or $200 either. $450-$650(MSRP) is a sweet spot, but obviously never actually pay so much. Buy them new, but on sale. Don't buy used shoes. Shoes form to whoever first wore them in, and they will never fully change to your foot after.
This isn't specific to Meermin and Carmina, but only examples.
>>
File: 1556376234832.gif (603 KB, 220x180)
603 KB
603 KB GIF
>expecting good quality for <500$ dress shoes
>>
>>14403543
>paying over $500 for foot wraps to make up for your lack of confidence and personality
>>
>>14403543
To be honest, this.
With my Allen Edmonds I wasn't expecting to be blown away. Construction wise they're fine. Finishing wise they're pretty bad. Spots in the finish, smudges, scratches and loose threads.
>>
>>14403549
>seething poorfag
>>
>>14403549
>t. wears Meermin instead of Carmina
>>
>>14403549
t. wears sneakers outside of sports activities
>>
>>14403550
It seems fine until you wear them for 1 year and compare them to good shoes. Reddit is quick to recommend these substandard brands because none of them have owned them longer than 6 months.
You buy Aldens or another respected brand and have them resoled every 4-5 years. It will cost as much or less than buying AE and will look and feel better. Nobody resoles $150 shoes. That's a complete waste of money. They aren't worth resoling, so you end up replacing them after 1-4 years, and spend 2-4x what you would have spent if you waited for a sale on these better brands. They also lose more of their value because they're objectively not good shoes and peoppe don't want them, so you lose no matter what.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.