[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: coats.jpg (82 KB, 1400x784)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Help me /fa/, I need a winter coat that's appropriate for a professional setting. I don't know anything about walker coats/car coats/etc.
>>
File: rock1.jpg (360 KB, 1428x1884)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>
The best thing you can do in business nowadays is be tall, be slim, and have a two piece suit that fits you. Those attributes set you apart and make you seem more adept at whatever youre doing.
>>
get a walker/overcoat that lands mid thigh or a car coat. anything lower is too old achoop and peacoats are a dead meme.
>>
>>13901072
Most offices today allow jeans and polo shirts, so you’ll be seen as tryhard
>>
Ted Baker peacoat
>>
>>13901876
Oh no, what will people think of you, this is the fashion board on 4channel.us btw.
>>
>>13901876
A shame really.
>>
>>13900925
What kind of professional setting. I’m in sales so my office is dressed pretty formal for the modern standards. Only one person wears a suit daily, and I wear a tie everyday but don’t own any suits yet. (I wear sweaters and slacks or a blazer). Everyone else always wears a collared shirt. Several people in the office, myself included wear some kind of overcoat
>>
>>13900925
get a chesterfield
>>
>>13901876
Really depends on the field you're in. Good luck getting away with jeans and a polo in a law office.
>>
>>13900925
Stop talking to us and open your fucking eyes, at work. What do your co-workers wear? Copy them.
It's no good us telling you to wear some faggot shit that makes you into the office queer.
>>
>>13901927
I work in corporate banking
>>
File: Untitled.png (533 KB, 505x650)
533 KB
533 KB PNG
what is this trend?
>>
>>13903418
Then perhaps the question should be, 'what do you want to project to others?'

That's really what it is all about anyway. Corporate banking is mainly about suits, watches, and shoes. No one cares about ties because good quality and shit tend to look the same if the material is silk. No one cares about 3-piece vs. 2 because for some the vest is pretentious and for some it's comfy and warm.

At the risk of being one of the few who is taking your question seriously, I'd say this:

1) Colour coordinate the jacket and the suit. Obviously, black goes with black, and it can cover other colours as well. If you go lighter brown or even something like blue or grey in the coat, just make sure that things like your shirt or tie don't stick out in terms of colour too much. Don't forget to think about your shoe colour compared with the coat as well...sometimes they clash.

2) Do you walk to work, or do you 'stand' to get to work (i.e. subway or bus)? Longer coats are a pain if you sit, and can look either cool or ridiculous if you have to walk long distances (hence the 'walker coat' being a useful one). But short coats would be a no-no for a suit, pea-coats especially. They just make you look short and fat even if you're not, so don't bother.

3) Personally, I wear a 3/4 black leather coat (Boss) over my suit, and though there are definite Nazi tones, it works well in my industry and I 'fit in'. Granted, it's lambskin and form fitting, so it's an oddity in general fashion, but since I wear leather all the time anyway, it's not unusual for me or the people who know me. That being said, for some reason people treat me more seriously with that coat on than when I'm wearing my 3/4 black cashmere that is approximately the same cut, so it's pretty obvious to me the effect the material can have.

4) Make sure the coat is fitted over your suit.

Determine the social strata you move in, and decide if you want to row the boat or rock it.
>>
>>13901885
GENTLEMEN
>>
>>13903596
Post pic. I wanna see.
>>
https://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Outlet/Clothing/ZACHARY-Wool-peacoat-Navy/p/138575-NAVY
>>
>>13900969
I had this kind of a coat, and I strongly advise against it, unless you can take off that part with the zipper. No way to show off a tie or scarf because if you won't zip it it looks even worse than zipped up.
>>
>>13901876
In my experience, you will be seen as someone more important than them.
>>
>>13900925
I recently got a black wool overcoat/walker coat (never heard of that term, but the lenght is more like that I guess)

I like it but I don't use it that much since it's less casual than your typical pea coat. Still pretty versatile
>>
>>13903660

Wish I could, but it's at my tailor's at the moment. As I've gotten older, I've shed weight, so it needed to be taken in a bit.

I did try to google it though, but it hasn't been made since the 90's, and there's nothing even close to it today. The best I can do is say, 'imagine the 'Overcoat' (far right) in OPs pic in black lambskin that tapers gently at the waist'.

The worst problem though is simply practicality: I have no idea where you'd get a jacket like this today. There are options from Wilson's leather but they're very bulky looking, and not as hard cut as something from Hugo Boss.

Say what you want about 90's fashion, but they found a way to meld the hard angles of the 80's with a more efficient approach (almost futuristic) in the 90's. It's clean, and it'll always look clean, even if it's in-between. It's not slim fit, but it's not grande (like the zoot suit).

Anyway, whatever overcoat you get, make sure it fits over your suit perfectly...that's part of the trick, and it doesn't matter what material or colour it is, as long as its a seamless extension of your suit.

>>13903846
The only problem I've personally had with walker coats like this (falling to the middle of the thigh) is that it really makes the body look short. The legs end up looking WAY too short, and the upper body elongates enough to look weird. Sadly the pic in your post points this out hard. I've found with peacoats the same issue happens, only it's worse because they're double-breasted, which widens the body and makes a person look short and fat.

Peacoats tend to look good only if the person is rail thin or if they're wearing a hat (which, given the navy background, would have been part of the design line anyway). If you have a huge 'crown' (think nu-Sherlock) then it works, but if you have a shaved head or a small head, then it just looks odd.

It's a tough one man...for me, either go knee-length 3/4 or cut at waist...anything in between is difficult.
>>
>>13903864
>Wish I could, but it's at my tailor's at the moment.
Lyin' motherfucker. It's probably best that you don't tho lol. People here would definitely try to knock you down if you did
>>
>>13903864
>The only problem I've personally had with walker coats like this (falling to the middle of the thigh) is that it really makes the body look short.

Didn't really ever think or noticed about that since I'm 6'4 and my legs still look long enough.
>>
>>13901876
>have a dead end office job
>usually wear a blazer and tie to work, just because
>while walking around the office I tell people to keep up the good work
>people have no idea who I am or what I do, despite having the same exact job as them and working in the same office
>company has massive layoffs in my department
>I'm literally the only guy in my department who doesn't get fired because everyone thinks I'm in management or something
>all because I gave 0.5 fucks when dressing for work and everyone else gave 0.0
>start training a bunch of pajeets the very next week
>>
>>13904756
>usually wear a blazer and tie to work, just because
>while walking around the office I tell people to keep up the good work
>people have no idea who I am or what I do, despite having the same exact job as them and working in the same office
>company has massive layoffs in my department
>I'm literally the only guy in my department who doesn't get fired because everyone thinks I'm in management or something

I slightly chuckled at this, nice work anon
>>
>>13904756
wat

dont they have a basic list of employees?
>>
>>13904357
>People here would definitely try to knock you down if you did...

Knock me down? I don't understand...
>>
>>13904872
You would be surprised how little most managers give a fuck about employees individually
>>
>>13904891
You know... shit on you. Try to make you feel bad about your fit.
>>
>>13904913
Oh...no man, don't worry about that. There are always things one can do better with fit, but ultimately we wear what works for the society we live in (first), and what works as an extension of our personalities (second). It wouldn't be the first coat I've posted here that either got praise or condemnation...

If OP is still here, I can't emphasize enough however that the fit of the coat over your office wear is what will make it look either good or slovenly. It is common to see a lot of low-to-mid-tier office people in my area wearing normal suits and random winter coats (you know, where you can see the tail of your blazer or suit jacket hanging outside the coat) and stuff like this. I know that everyone is on a budget, and that people can't always afford proper garments. Having 1 excellent winter coat is better than having 2 shitty coats for different purposes, of course.

But if you're going this route (3/4 jacket, car coat, walker coat, etc.), then when you go to try it on or buy it, make sure that you either wear the suit you want to wear with the coat when you go try it on OR make sure you buy it with a policy that you can bring it back if it doesn't fit right.

The other possibility is that if you have a trusted tailor, you can buy the coat (if it's on an aggressive 'don't leave it' sale) and have it custom fitted afterwards. Anyway, fit of the coat over what you plan to wear with it is the FIRST consideration over everything else.

>>13904731
Then you're lucky. Most people (including myself) aren't 6'4. But I still don't like the proportions of that style...mid-thigh is strange to me, especially on something casual.
>>
>>13904894
must be bad living in america, lel
>>
>>13904929
Is a "walker coat" a real thing or is it made up? OPs pic is a topcoat.
>>
>>13905187
It's definitely real, though may not be common where you live. I've seen it come in for the past 3 seasons, probably for business people who have to walk a few blocks to work. The idea was that the normal top coat was too long (i.e. Trump top coat dimensions) and when buttoned up would hinder longer strides or someone running to catch a bus. Not that anyone should run in a suit...but that's another story.

Indeed, they do work well when you have to walk far, but I've never been happy with the proportions. A personal gripe. The other thing this kind of jacket does to the person wearing it is draw attention to the feet. This is seen as a 'good thing' by suit-wearers who enjoy showing off ironic socks or cuffs or near-formal boots and shit. Again, it's not my taste, as for me shoes should be the least noticeable thing, and socks even less so.

But styles have changed, and now it's very 'in' to have interesting feet. So there we are.
>>
>>13904756
Congrats on maintaining a basic white collar office job
>>
>tfw working freelance and have absolutely zero need to dress formally for anything
>still do just because I like it and it makes every other customer think that my other customers are important
>>
>>13903596
Are we talking in this style?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-HUGO-BOSS-3-4-LENGTH-LEATHER-COAT-SIZE-38/202518715012

In cold weather does the coat hold up or do you need to wear more of a thicker suit/different coat to handle the temperature?
>>
>>13905464
Ahhh. So the topcoats of today are walker coats. Very insightful. Thank you.
>>
>>13905644

No, that one is way too short. Traditional 3/4 jackets are cut at the knee (the waist is '1/2', and the knees are therefore '3/4')...so either this is mislabeled or the person this was made for is short and fat.

I'm supposed to get it back this coming week...if this thread is still around and if I have time I'll take some pics. As I said, it's more proportioned like the far right in OP's pic...the only difference is that it's in black lamb.

Regarding leather in cold weather: it depends. Leather doesn't retain heat well, but it does cut the wind better than anything else. Considering that you're wearing a suit underneath, you'll usually be plenty warm, but a scarf may be necessary depending on how cold it gets.

You have to understand that formal coats aren't necessarily cut for the purposes of holding out the cold like a down parka would. It's become fashionable to wear a Canada Goose jacket over a suit in some places...if you want something warm, get one of those. But if you're looking for something that looks good over a suit, then you'll definitely be sacrificing warmth for cut with leather. Filled coats, lined coats, all of them add bulk to the form, and 'bulkiness' is a no-no for suits, and by extension, formal coats. The only formal coat that looks good and is warm is one made of either Cashmere or wool; cashmere can be cut 'thinner' to the body than wool can, but you don't want cashmere to get too wet, and it's more expensive than wool (hence the 'choice').

In all honesty, my feet will get colder far quicker than my body in winter. You notice this if you ever have to go to a winter funeral and stand outside while they lower the casket.

>>13905696
To some extent, but what I tried to communicate was that the names are nearly interchangeable these days, with 'walker' coats being shorter than normal but not cut at the waist. So, the length of a standard pea-coat, but not double-breasted or military.
>>
>>13906524
Bump
>>
>>13902786
I second this OP. You are looking for a chesterfield coat.
>>
>>13906524
Interesting you mentioned sacrificing warmth for style since I have this double breasted coat from Suit Supply and the salesman said as well that it's made for style above warmth. I used to think that a kashmir coat should just protect you against the worst weather but that will ruin the material. I would be interested in seeing the coat, I know I saw a lot of leather coats in the late 90's and you see them as well in early Sopranos episodes.
>>
>>13908700
Yeah; as I said, when I get it back (I was told 'Tuesday'....in truth I need it by Friday, so it better be ready by then), I'll take a few pics.

The reason that these kinds of coats don't hold warmth well is two-fold; material and space. The ability for a coat to retain heat is dependent upon the type of filling and the pockets of air that the filling can 'hold'. Air is the insulator, so as an example, goose down is very fluffy but retains a kind of hard structure within which air pockets (held by the microscopic 'branches' of the down) are held captive. Your body heats up these tiny pockets, and because they don't move anywhere, they hold the heat.

In order to have enough air pockets to retain more heat than you lose, you need space between the outside of the jacket and the inside. So, the jacket needs to be bulky. The bulkier it is, the more heat it can potentially retain.

When you apply this idea to suitmaking, you see the obvious problem. Well-cut suits or custom suits are supposed to be direct extensions of your body shape, with minor additions to make your shape look better (shoulder pads or hard edged shoulder seams, lapels that give the illusion of a taper to the waist, etc.). The material is supposed to be a kind of second-skin to your fit without looking like it's squeezing you tight.

A coat over a suit is supposed to extend this principle; a second-skin on your suit. If you go the route of retaining heat, this second skin becomes a balloon no matter what because the proportions are all off. That's why formal coats are not known for their heat retaining abilities...and to be fair, it's not the primary design goal anyway.

Cashmere is a beautiful material, and will keep you warm, but it has many flaws in terms of wear. The one which is most noticeable is that you should not get it wet if you can avoid it. Leather on the other hand can get wet no matter what, so it's fantastic as a protective material.
>>
Somebody who knows what they're talking about, recommend decent coat brands.
>>
>>13909364
>recommends brands
>"s-something like this but c-cheaper!"
>>
File: Capture.png (938 KB, 1416x843)
938 KB
938 KB PNG
Did these coats have asbestos? What the fuck
>>
>>13909374
>chesterfield
thas why m8
>>
>>13909369
Okay, thoughts on Ted Baker?
>>
>>13909419
They tend to have a modern (slim) fit and focus on attention to detail, so different buttons and stitching etc. Not really sure about the quality though.
>>
>>13909376
Please elaborate
>>
>>13900925
Basic knowledge :
For some reason unknown to me pea coats are incredibly difficult to pull of.

Car coat is easier. Doesn't have a business or seriousness vibe in it. It seems to accommodate better to different body types.

For the two other ones they have the same issue. Wich is that they are very business/serious/elegant looking. But it come with the fact that if it doesn't fit you well you look ridiculous. In fact the models look goofy.
In the picture the walker coat looks better because of the awkward arms positions of the model. If you look closely you'll see that the fit is actually the same as the overcoat.

For the retarded faggot, do not try to pull off theses coats with something else than a good suit under it or you'll look totally sperg fedora breed like.
>>
>>13911254
peacoat arent difficult to pull off. they simply look worse than a long coat on most people.
>>
>>13911264
Yeah you're right but you'll admit that something wich looks bad on most people is by definition hard to pull off.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46HX9HuRdys
Some good advice here, especially how to buy the correct shape and length for your body type.
>>
>peacoats look bad
>overcoats are too formal

What does /fa/ recommend for everyday outdoors wear? UK here so it's not that cold, but I could do with something warmer than a jumper. Field jacket? Parka?
>>
>>13911505
Depends if you are in a formal environment or not, you want to blend in or stand out? A navy or gray winter jacket or (modern) bomber would be fine. A parka might be too warm but maybe a better purchase when it suddenly get's very cold.
>>
File: 966221078_01.jpg (2.1 MB, 2000x3000)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
C/N?
>>
>>13912329
Great taste
>>
>>13912329
You could do worse.
>>
>>13911466
He is right about cashmere being not very warm in overcoats, also his gloves look cool. And bump.
>>
>>13904894
What do managers in offices even do? Do they spend all day politicking?
>>
>>13904756
I find dressing well at work makes people take me more seriously, although maybe that's just how I feel being the youngest guy in the office.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.