[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Is this crack in my foundation fixable? The previous homeowner tried to and did a shit job. I dug down and discovered it only seems to wider as it goes down.. this crack is about a foot from the corner of the house

For what it’s worth, there is no crack visible from the inside, and the entire basement is braced with steel beams.
It’s a block foundation on a mid 1950s house
>>
>>1676084
>buying a house with a cracked foundation
based retard
>>
>>1676084
The cracking is a symptom of a problem. That settling.
You should see why, and fix that
>>
>>1676084

Anon, that is really fucking serious damage. How the hell did you get to the point where someone let you buy this?
>>
>>1676090
First house, I knew cracks were normal in foundations but I didn’t know the crack was fucking 2 inches wide 6” underground.

>>1676102
I’ve been considering hiring a structural engineer. I imagine one has been consulted in the past, since there are steel beams bracing the walls downstairs, but idk how long ago that was.
>>
>>1676107
Yeah I know. The crack up top isn’t really all that bad, and has “”repair”” done to it already.
I just decided to dig to see how bad it is and fuck it’s pretty scary looking. I don’t know how much is the foundation settling and how much is that block crumbling. I dug two pieces of the block up while I was digging here. The hole pictured is barely a foot deep
>>
>>1676113

do you have a similar crack on the other side of the foundation? is this a crawlspace or a basement?
>>
>>1676134
It’s a basement. There are cracks on the 3 visible corners, the 4th is covered by a low deck.
The other cracks aren’t as big, I think, but I haven’t dug them up
>>
>>1676138

Your footings - whatever they look like - might all be tipping, which means soil issues under the foundation. not a good sign. are all the cracks that bad? Dig deeper - do the cracks go horizontal after a while?
>>
>>1676084
You need to sue your home inspector, anon. That is unless they disclosed the damage and you still bought it. In that case enjoy living in your new hole.
>>
>>1676084
there's no fixing that. hope you got money for a new foundation
>>
>>1676162
Fug

>>1676178
No, I don’t think there was mention of it. Sucks because he’s a good friend of mine..
>>
>Living on a concrete slab
Pier foundation master race. Sure, it's going to settle, but you can actually correct it for less than ripping the fucker down and starting over fresh.
>>
>>1676162
It’s storming right now but maybe tomorrow I’ll dig down deeper and see what else I can find. Horizontal cracks from that are indicative of a worse issue?

How likely is it that this damage was here, the basement was braced, and what I’m seeing is from before it was braced? Or would bracing not matter if there’s soil disruptions underneath?

For what it’s worth, we had a really bad storm in mid July where we got like 7” of rain in an hour or two and then it stormed daily for a week. Backyard flooded, and my basement was leaking from all over. It was saturated for days
>>
This is the inside view. Circled is about where that crack is on the outside.

The thing is, now that I’m looking at it with foundation issues in mind, it looks like this coating over the blocks is way thicker up at the top... maybe to hide the crack?
>>
>>1676084
It may not be as bad as some are making out, it depends if the structure has stabilized. The outside looks mostly like damage from a poor repair not keeping water out, suspect you are somewhere it freezes? Get it looked at by someone that knows and if you can try and track down previous owners to find out who did the work and if they had a structural engineer run the numbers or just went at it. If everything is stable, that can be fixed up, if things are still moving, thing get complicated.
>>
>>1676188
if the soil is moving no amount of bracing is gonna do shit. even if that spot holds up it'll just damage somewhere else
>>
>>1676185
>Sucks because he’s a good friend of mine..
There is an important lesson here..

fake edit: holy shit I was going to ask about your insurance, but I see now that this is considered a "maintenance" issue and it's usually not covered.
>>
>>1676084
Are you planning on selling the house any time soon?
Is it leaking water into the basement/crawl space when it rains heavily?
The answer will depend on your answers to these 2 questions.
>>
>>1676203
Yes, North Dakota

>>1676259
I was actually going to call them and ask, I guess that saves me the trouble

>>1676262
No, I bought it a year ago. Yes, it leaks.
>>
File: 1567471661050.jpg (764 KB, 1574x2100)
764 KB
764 KB JPG
>>1676262
>3 out of 4 sides have cracks
>leaking water in during rain
>pic related marked in red to show obvious cracks and excess material up top to hide cracks

Anon, this is about as bad as it could get. Your foundation is crumbling and your house will be insalable without major renovation or likely a new foundation. Hope you have $75,000+ or plan to live here until you're dead

F
>>
>>1676265
Call and ask, do not take the advice here as gospel. It will cost you nothing, and you'll know for sure.
>>
>>1676265
I am going to bet everything is stable and the wide cracks on the outside is just from water freezing and breaking things apart. Call up every foundation guy you can find and get quotes, probably will not be too bad. Just get it taken care of before winter and the ice does its thing.
>>
>>1676267
woops meant to reply to op
>>
OP call your militia to arms and head to the home inspector's place. Raze his house and take his wife and children.
>>
>>1676191
That entire fucking wall is crumbling. Look at all the shit they threw on there trying to hide it. Sorry to tell you but you’re gonna need a new foundation
>>
File: sketch-1567481494291.jpg (188 KB, 1080x1441)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>1676191

>>1676267
looks like your crack run here
>>
>>1676285
The whole wall is crumbling, look on the far side of the wood post and you can see the beginning of more.
>>
>>1676138
Seriously anon, how did you get a loan for this house? Or did you buy it with cash? I am buying a house right now and there have been so many hoops to jump through i just can't imagine managing to buy a house like this.
>>
>>1676292
Probably bribed the inspector. No bank would ever approve a loan for a house that’s about to cave in.
>>
>>1676084
No problem, that fat little fuck Tom Silva fixed a cracked foundation on This Old House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgq-DLrfKjU
>>
>>1676298
Do you think picking a guy with a name similar to Bob Vila was intentional?
>>
>>1676298
I'm laughing now that I realized he sounds like Mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfS0nAgfuE
>>
>>1676297
>>1676292
I had it inspected. Again, the crumbling part of the block is underground
>>
>>1676191
Nigger that wall is being held together with copious amounts of Hebraic Hide-All Premium Paint
>>
>>1676187
How fucking stupid are you? OP said in his post it is a block foundation.

>>1676191
Well, the good news is the house will probably burn down before it sinks into the hollow earth. Get your electrical inspected while you have someone looking at the foundation.
>>
>>1676316
That is classic ice damage, if it was unstable the interior patch would not have lasted so long and you would see obvious signs of the wall caving in. Your inspector friend say it for what it is, old crack, at worst he missed the poor repairs on the outside. Get it checked out by some foundation guys, won't be to bad to fix as long as you do it before another winters worth of damage.
>>
>>1676188
>Horizontal cracks from that are indicative of a worse issue?

Yes - much worse. as in "better call your home insurance company" worse.

>>1676191

Oh fuck. I knew it was gonna be something like this when you said you couldn't see anything on the inside.

That, my friend, is a cover-and-sell.
>>
>>1676285

can you take a picture of the floor at the bottom of that crack?
>>
>>1676370
>That, my friend, is a cover-and-sell.
No it's not, cover and sell would be plastering the entire wall, doing just the cracked area makes it more obvious. Even the most useless of inspectors would catch that.

>>1676084
OP, get a professional opinion, a few of them, this can not be diagnosed through pictures. Chances are the foundation is salvageable, the house is nearly 70 years old so chances are it long ago finished settling and everything is stable. You just have cracks that are getting worse because they were never properly repaired. If the building actually shifted enough to open a crack that wide, you would see other signs, windows that do not function or even shatter, and doors that do not shut, if you are free of those you can feel comfortable that it is just a matter of getting things fixed properly before they get too bad.
>>
>>1676373
That will not confirm or disprove anything. Even if there are cracks you will not be able to say if they are old or new through pictures unless they just happened. Useless.
>>
>>1676322
Kek

>>1676331
Dude there is some jenky fucking wiring in this house. I redid the lights in the basement living room and I’m pretty sure whoever renovated this was a retard

>>1676357
That’s what I’ve been hoping, kind of came to the same assessment with the patches still holding. I do not know if that was the previous homeowner, or the one before her.

>>1676370
This is what I’m afraid of, I also believe it’s true. I suppose I could knock down all the coating to see

>>1676373
It’s cracked all at the bottom, however I believe it’s just the coating on the wall (some kind of cement or plaster about a quarter inch thick) since water is coming in there, and it came through the coating

>>1676378
I’m looking into structural engineers in my area, figure a they’d be less biased than a repair company trying to sell me a product.

The back door is pretty difficult to open though..
>>
>>1676379

No, not useless. Cracks on the floor corresponding to wall cracking is footer-trouble 101, especially at the corners of the house.
>>
>>1676393
>figure a they’d be less biased than a repair company trying to sell me a product.

Foundation contracts won't usually bullshit you much. You might think they're seeing money, but the reality is that most reputable ones are only gonna put in the effort where it's worth it and where their schedule allows. getting a structures guy out is definitely the more expensive option.
>>
>>1676538
You still can not tell the age or stability of those cracks from a photo, which is most important for deciding how to repair it. All you can tell from the photo is that at some time the house settled, which we already know, all that matters at this point is if the house is done settling or if things are still moving, since that patch on the inside is at lest a year old, chances are it is done moving and things are stable.

>>1676539
Agreed, just get a few quotes and perhaps a good inspector to look at it, throw out the outliers and go with the consensus. A structural engineer could still be required if things are bad, but likely unneeded.
>>
>>1676393
>The back door is pretty difficult to open though..
Does that change much? If it just keeps getting worse that tells you it is the foundations continuing to settle, if it gets easier at time and harder at others it is most likely just seasonal wood movement in the structure or door. If it is always the same that suggests it racked when the house settled and no one bothered to fix it, how big of problem that is depends on if the house is done settling. Just one exterior door suggests wood movement, especially if that exterior trim is in poor shape.
>>
>>1676551
>>1676539
Sounds good guys, I’ll research the best foundation guys in town. Fargo isn’t s huge city so there’s probably 3 total

>>1676556
Na it’s been a huge pain the entire time I’ve owned the house. I’m waiting until my dad comes out to teach me how to properly fix it. He’s been doing construction for over 40 years, too bad he lives 800 miles away
>>
>>1676614
>Na it’s been a huge pain the entire time I’ve owned the house
Good sign the house is done settling, most likely never bothered to repair it because it is the back door.
>>
>>1676084
everything is fixable if you have enough cum
>>
>>1676084
>the entire basement is braced with steel beams.
In what way exactly?

If there's say horizontal steel beams running the length of the house supporting the ground floor now, then fuck a few cracks in the trench foundation ... it's no longer that important.
>>
>>1676298
if op's foundation is crumbling though isn't filling the crack a wasted step?
>>
Holy shit OP, as someone that bought his first house a year ago and has discovered some problems in the basement (nothing close to this level though), I feel terrible for you.

I hope you've pointed this out to your home inspector friend.
>>
t. Buying a used house without getting a proper inspection
>>
>>1676178
That won't do any good if he signed a contract most home inspections have no liability if they miss things because you can't catch it all
>>
>>1676084
cut house in half along crack. Two separate houses with two foundations.
>>
>>1678360
Ah so this is the fabled american intellect
>>
well this scares me. We have a crack, but you couldn't really see it unless you ripped up the carpet. I wanted to, but everyone hemmed and hawed.

when we pulled it out to redo the carpet, It's like the whole house settled, and the bedroom sunk a little bit on one side in the past. I've just been ignoring it, and people are like "oh its just settling" is this fucking normal or am I screwed.
>>
>>1678500
You probably have a sinkhole forming under that corner of the house. I'd look into getting insurance for that ASAP
>>
>>1678500

It could very well just be the house settling. My house was built in the 1950's and I have a lot of settling cracks on the basement floor, walls, etc. I had foundation people out to look at them and they said its nothing to worry about, just normal settling. That if at some point water starts coming through a crack I would have to get it filled but thats all.

So it is possible that it's nothing. Or maybe there is a sinkhole under your house and you're really fucked...
>>
>>1678667
>>1678718
I live in the desert, so apparently sinkholes are not so common. I "think" I checked with my house insurance and we are covered for sinkholes, but I'll check again.

I need to remember I can be as pushy as I want when I'm buying something expensive. I could have offered to repair any damage from pulling up the carpets ( assuming we didn't buy ).

The inspector seemed really non chalant about the foundation - he saw a few cracks and said "oh should fill those in to keep moisture out" and that was it.
>>
>>1678718
yeah this is what I was told.
>>
>>1676084
two part epoxy compound. fill in 2-4 inch sections between sets.

t. repaired all cracked foundations in Walmarts in my city
>>
>>1678496
Please, I'm Australian
>>
>>1676191
first off thats the block wall not the actual footing. footings are solid concrete with rebar
secondly you can easliy replace that its a few.block dig out the front and knock the top couple of block out and relay them literally 2 hours of work start to finish its not even in a bad.spkt
>>
>>1676084
yikes that's a big crack. i hope you aren't in a freeze zone for your sake
>>
>>1676191
holy shit your home inspector must have been a literal retard
>>
>dig all the way down to bottom of foundation
>pound it with concrete
>smear the hell out of it with tar after
>sell it
>>
>>1676614
>Fargo isn’t s huge city so there’s probably 3 total

You probably have at least a dozen. I live in a city <100,000 people and there's 3 within a 1/2 mile of me.

have you gotten any quotes yet? any more info?
>>
This thread is my worst nightmare when going to buy a house. Think ill keep renting for a bit longer.
>>
>>1681194

just don't buy a house built in the 50's. the cardboard shitboxes on top might have gotten worse over time but foundations have generally gotten better as long as you're not buying slab.
>>
>Buy house
>2 years later
>Small stream of water coming in one wall
>Small vertical cracks on the wall
>4 feet down from the surface, don't want to take apart my deck and dig up my backyard
>But it seems like the water is moreso coming up from where the wall meets the slab

So either I have a cracking foundation or my weepoing tile is all fucked up right there

>Buy cement filling anti water paint
>Paint up the the cracks on the inside
>Hope I haven't just ignored my house disintegrating
>Hope each winter freezing water isn't making these cracks I can no longer see bigger

I'll make sure to post an update in this thread 10 years from now.
>>
>>1681281
damn dude
i really feel for you
hope it works out
>>
File: IMG_20190911_2042243.jpg (2.24 MB, 3120x4160)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1681281
>>1681292
>Make post about using anti water paint.
>Go down to basement to see how it is all holding up.
>Realize I misremembered the whole thing.
>Was one long vertical crack, 4 feet down from the top.
>Patched it with paint 2 years ago.
>Crack is cracking through.
That, and it was obviously patched once already, and then hidden behind insulation I pulled out.
Whelp, if it was properly patched once, it can be properly patched again. I'll have to wait until it gets bigger though to actually fill it properly. Unless I go dig up on the outside under the deck next summer and tar the shit out of the outside of the wall.
>>
>>1681306
>>1681281

do either of you have sumps in your basement? at least drainage away from foundation?
>>
>>1681308
I'm the same guy, told my story wrong the first go.
That crack is pretty minor SO FAR as far as cracks go. It is a trickle in, and it is actually three feet away from the the sump pit, so the trickle goes right into it.

I have since its discovery improved drainage away from that portion of the house (made sure the ground was sloped away, improved downspouts), but still, water favours that side of the house for entry for whatever reason.

Like I mentioned, next summer I might actually dig up the outside, but I am not going to try injection until its gets bigger.

Unless those are bad ideas. Is it a bad idea to dig a hole next to my house even if I fill it back in? Is there something I can do besides wait for the crack to get bigger?
>>
>>1681313

the crack you posted isn't serious, but you might need basement drainage. how old is the house? do you go through freeze/thaw cycles?
>>
>>1676183
basically this I'm afraid desu
should have built your house upon the teachings of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior
>>
>>1676274
the only reasonable course of action at this point
>>
>>1676285
old house...no gfi next to an exposed set of water lines...kek
>>
>>1678307
I'm sure a massive foundation crack would fall within their liability, anon. If not what's the fucking point in having inspectors in the first place?
>>
>>1681435
Sure do. Saskatchewan winters. It owuld be 10-20k for interior weeping tile, and I would have to rip up all my basement drywall and a shower.
20k+ to do the exterior. So like I said, I just tried some landscaping, direct any interior leaking to the sump, and improved my downspout system.
House was new in the 1960s, had an extension added a few years ago.
>>
>>1678835
Now you got one house for your sheila and another for your ute.
>>
>>1681491
>>1681313

>water favours that side of the house for entry for whatever reason.

I don't think you guys have a high water table out there, so the problem might be related to a utility trench. If you have clay soils around an old house, this could be your entire problem. it's literally like feeding a spring in next to your foundation. Might be worth it to find your trench or ask foundation guys around.

if it's just incidental water, you can also DIY a sill seal and a trench drain around the outside of your house without digging down to footers. Sounds like you're handy with the landscaping, might be right up your alley.
>>
>>1681490
Home inspectors are a scam. Most places give no criteria or qualifications to become licensed. Just mail a check to some board and you're a home inspector.
>>
>people still buying homes when trailers are a thing
>>
It can be stabilized. A good engineer can recommend how far to excavate to either side and tie in rebar to the existing walls. Rebar and backfill with concrete. Easier to do all at once, more like $10k.
>>
Was the inspector provided by the realtor?
>>
>>1676084
>the entire basement is braced with steel beams.
For me, this is the biggest red alert. They knew they had a problem in the past. You don't throw steel beams in a basement at random. They knew they had a major problem that needed structural steel to reinforce it. We have expansive clay soils where I live, You don't put steel in unless the whole wall/basement is compromised.
You need an engineer to look at this mess.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.