[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: DSC07274.jpg (390 KB, 1350x900)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
OP fucked up & put the subject in the wrong box edition.

Previous thread >>1655489

-------

In /rcg/ we discuss anything & everything remote controlled - multirotors, fixed wing, cars, rovers, helis, boats, submarines, battlebots, lawnmowers, etc.

>How do I get started with racing drones?

https://oscarliang.com/mini-quad-racing-guide/

https://www.fpvknowitall.com/ultimate-fpv-shopping-list/

> How to build a racing drone (16 part video series from Joshua Bardwell)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwoDb7WF6c8mWARrcxtX_G6yytK7QFHID

>What about planes?

https://www.flitetest.com/

>What about aerial photography, is DIY viable?

Buy a DJI if what you actually want is to take good photos/videos, go DIY if what you actually want is a fun project.

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly around my yard/garden

Syma X5C

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly inside my house

Eachine E010/Hubsan X4

>What are some good YouTube channels for learning or fun?

Joshua Bardwell - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3eufnI7A2I7IkKHZn8KSQ
Painless360 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1vASX-fg959vRc1xowqpw
Flite Test - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9zTuyWffK9ckEz1216noAw
Peter Sripol - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yF9tV4xWEMZkel7q8La_w
7demo7 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTa02ZJeR5PwNZK5Ls3EQGQ
ArxangelRC - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG_c0DGOOGHrEu3TO1Hl3AA
RagTheNutsOff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWP6vjgBw1y15xHAyTDyUTw
>>
I got an emax tinyhawk as my first drone so i have some questions.

1. Is it normal that you cant hover a few inches off the ground because of propwash?

2. Should it hover in place relatively by itself if you have it trimmed up? mine came out of the box a bit wobbly and im trying to trim it but either im not trimming it enough or something is wrong.

3. Do people sometimes flip the control schemes? i feel like i would want my roll on my throttle stick instead of on the pitch stick. That or im just too used to planes and not being able to turn with one stick
>>
>>1671645
Why should I spend $100 on a FrSky Taranis Q X7 instead of a cheaper $50 transmitter?
I'm just getting into the hobby.
>>
>>1671769
Not really normal, Tinyhawks are supposed to be tuned out of the box.

Trim doesn't do anything with quadcopters, its made for servo adjustment not motors.

In order to flip the controls and have it continue to be comfortable to control you'd want to buy a mode 1 transmitter. Using a mode 2 with flipped controls will probably cause you more problems flying than it will solve. That being said you can plug the quad into your computer and load up Betaflight configurator and swap them if you want to. If you plan on getting more into this hobby and buying more/bigger quads at some point I would recommend getting used to the controls as they are.

>>1671790
The QX7 simply has more features and ease of use than a cheap Flysky, more range and smaller receivers as well. The $50 Flysky transmitter is also limited to I think 6 models whereas the QX7 has like 100. My all means if you aren't sure you are going to stick with the hobby go with a more budget friendly option. But keep in mind even if you don't stick with it the QX7 is the most popular transmitter in this hobby and you'd easily be able to resell it for $90 at least.
>>
>>1671806
shit really?

i never flew a quad before so maybe i just suck

I can keep it level if i try with the stick like a helo. But i was under the impression these things had pretty decent gyros that keep them locked into a hover?

maybe im just overthinking it but it seems like there is alot of lateral drift.

I just dont know if its a dud or not.
>>
>>1671811
If you are in a hover and slightly touch the right or left roll control, and then release it, does the quad snap back to level or does it continue to move left/right until it hits something or you land it?

If so you are flying in whats called Acro mode, said mode only uses the gyro to maintain the thrust of the motors so you dont spin out. If you want it to auto correct back to level whenever you let off the pitch/roll controls you want it in Stable mode. Acro mode is quite difficult to fly LoS, I personally was surprised how easy it is in FPV but Im also one of those people with alot of video game experience. Its generally recommended that you learn in acro mode, learning in stable is a bit of a crutch, and without acro you wont be able to do any of the fancy flying you see in youtube videos. However if you dont have access to FPV right now or you dont really care about tricks and fancy flying just dick around in stable mode for awhile. If you try to learn to fly by LoSing in acro mode youre likely going to break the quad before you learn very much.
>>
>>1671813
no its in easy mode. It will just not stay hovering in one place. It will like just float slowly in a direction.

Normally in a slight roll. I keep trying the trimming but i think you said it doesnt work
>>
>>1671815
Yea trim does literally nothing with quads.

But thats also completely normal, the gyro is maintaining level flight perfectly fine. Its not a GPS equipped quadcopter that will hold a single position against the wind. A slight breeze will easily start carrying the quad away. Even if theres no wind, theres practically no way to maintain a single position like you're thinking with a quadcopter without GPS, LIDAR, or something similar. The gyro is not there to maintain a position, its there to tell the ESCs how fast to spin the motors in order to keep flight level however you happen to be flying. If that were not the case even one motor spinning too fast would just send the quad into an uncontrollable spin.
>>
>>1671819
ah okay im just flying it inside my deck and keeping it in one place is tricky.

I also have one fucking battery LMFAO

im gonna order like 6 or more
>>
>>1671820
Youll get used to it. Look up a few basic videos on how to get started if you want. IIRC most people recommend learning how to fly a good clockwise and counterclockwise circle, then a figure 8. As I also mentioned its MUCH easier when you start flying FPV, literally just go forward around shit and dont hit the ground/obstacles and dont go out of range. Best tip I got early on is when you start learning how to turn, like going around a tree or some shit, you want to combine roll and yaw for a cleaner turn.
>>
>>1671823
im just so used to aileron turning that it drives me insane that i have to yaw to get a turn
>>
>>1671811
You could try recalibrating the accelerometer in betaflight, but as has already been said, a proper position hold is pretty much impossible without gps or optical flow sensors.
>>
>>1671824
Getting used to adding rudder in turns (coordinated turns) will help you with fixed wing if you ever fly anything with a rudder.
>>
LOS flying drones is hard as fuck you cant tell which way its pointing. How did people do this before FPV happened
>>
You all have any recommendations on a bag for carrying gear? I don't mind hanging the drones on the outside, looking for a bag to carry 2 drones, my repair gear + goggles controller etc.
>>
>>1672038
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-boxes-bags-belts/utility-cases-ammo-boxes.html
>>
Is there any benefit to using a 2 stroke engine over an electric setup?
I want to build a model of a c-130 (shaped) that drops a rc car out the back and was wondering if having a gas setup would in anyway be beneficial.

I just want to try something different from the usual more than anything
>>
>>1672125
It sounds cooler and you get to larp as a grease monkey mechanic. Also potentially better flight time thanks to higher energy density of nitro. That's about it.
>>
>>1672125
>Is there any benefit to using a 2 stroke engine over an electric setup?
>>
>>1672000
Put black props on the back and red/pink/yellow/orange props on the front.
>>
>>1672228
my drone is the size of a CD and the blades are ducted i cant see shit
>>
>>1672304
Spray paint the front ducts.
>>
>>1672344
the weight wont hurt the balance?
>>
>>1672356
People strap GoPros to the front of their quads bro... A few grams is nothing compared to that and even if it was far more the gyro just makes the back motors compensate.
>>
>>1672044
Was looking for a backpack so I can bike around and hike. Though this looks great for a car kit.
>>
K so im getting the hang of this mini emax tinyhawk

What should my first REAL drone be? should i build it? buy BNF?

what are the best goggles and video setups?
>>
>>1672624
If you want to continue/get more involved with the hobby then building is definitely the better option - you will break things & want to upgrade parts or just try out different options, so learning from an early stage how to do it yourself is very valuable.

Don't spend vast amounts of money on your first build. You don't want $30 motors or a $100 frame when $12 motors & a $30 frame are plenty good enough & won't sting as much when you break them or lose the thing up a tree.

For goggles you have to decide whether you want box goggles (the bulkier kind with a single large screen) or FatShark style goggles (the smaller kind with two separate tiny screens). The latter are a big investment, but you definitely don't need to go for that straight away.

Look at some of Whiffles' recent builds (I should've added this to the OP actually) for an idea of parts.

https://rotorbuilds.com/profile/1/
>>
>>1672632
what about DJI goggles? is it to early into digital tech to even bother investing?
>>
>>1672646
It's too early & it's rather niche. If HD FPV is something you think you will want in the future when it's matured a bit, then just buy a cheap set of box goggles now & keep the money for later.
>>
>>1671645
Why has RotorRiot become utter shit? It used to be great!
Also thoughts on MaiOnHigh? She hasn't progressed in the past three fucking years.
>>
>>1672581
Lowepro or Torvol is your answer. >>1672038
See above
>>
>>1671806
The QX7 has shitty gimbals. I use the X9D and recently my bro bought a QX7. These "gimbals" are so bad it makes me want to puke.
>>
>>1672689
RotorRiot has always been 'edgy' shit, doing irresponsible dangerous crap that paints us all in a bad light in order to farm clicks.

I have no idea how MaiOnHigh is as a pilot, but she's definitely one of the one's who massively exploits being a girl for her own profit.
>>
>>1672699
>Implying TBS wasn't ruining the hobby before RR was a thing

Yeah Lexie's always like "yeah I'm not popular because I'm a girl" but if she posted flight-only vids like vikfpv we wouldn't be talking about her.
>>
>>1672716
Trappy is probably my most hated person in the entire hobby.
>>
>>1672754
I'm actually good friends with Trappy. Although I find his culinary taste questionable, and although he lives in China (l live in Tokyo...), we get along pretty well
>>
>>1672759
He's by far the most insufferable cunt I've ever had the misfortune of talking to within this hobby.
>>
>>1672762
>Drew Camden
>Botgrinder
>Luke Bannister (what a little piece of shit)
>>
>>1672769
Haven't heard of 2/3, but I can't wait til Buttgrindr OD's on heroin.
>>
>>1672624
What came with your tinyhawk? Im assuming its the RTF kit without the goggles. So to step up to a "real" drone you'll need a radio transmitter, fpv goggles and a Lipo balance charger minimum. In your position i would wait it out in regards to the DJI fpv system and just get a bind and fly or plug and fly Chinese drone because tuning a build can be a challenge.

Emax has a decent "toothpick" the tinyhawk freestyle or diatone Gtr349/369
I would step up to a 2.5-3 inch before going 5 inch.

>For a radio and goggles
frsky has a good range from budget all the way up
Eachine ev800d is a good set up for a beginner and when you want an upgrade you can still use just the screen
>>
>>1672819
its the RTF kit with goggles.

im getting the hang of it.

Is the QX7 on amazon with the hall gimbles any good? seems to have good reviews
>>
>>1672692
Probably the first time Ive ever heard someone say those gimbals are bad.
>>
>>1672820
Well the ev800d's really arent much of an upgrade then, diversity is nice but not necessary.

The Qx7 is great for the price, frsky just recently released a newer cheaper one if you want to save a few bucks also its the x9lite and x9lite pro
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLwsHWRYSY

But be warned it doesnt support d8 mode out of the box, which your tinyhawk uses (i think)
>>
>>1672824
whats D8 mode?
>>
>>1672837
Its a communication protocol from frsky, and its fairly dated.
http://open-txu.org/glossary/d8-mode/

Many small "toy grade" drones still use it though, the tinyhawk included but the tinyhawk s and tinyhawk freestyle use d16 mode
>>
>>1672841
oh thats fine the toy controller is fine for this one.

So if i was going to move up should i build one or not? I tried building my own RC aircraft foamie once but it was hugely underpowered or i just used too much glue
>>
>>1672845
I would buy a prebuilt from china, building one is a pretty big task even if you follow a guide.

What are some things that your looking for? Speed, Hd dvr, pricepoint etc.
The diatone GTR349 will fly 100+ mph and has an HD dvr option and can come in under 250 grams depending on your choices
>>
How can I speed up my quad? I added uptilt, but it just feels very sluggish despite having some high kv motors installed. I just saw my fully loaded weight is 645 for my 4s including the battery and gopro, is that about right? I haven't messed with PID rates since idk how the that all works yet.

Also, here's my a short clip of my first flight. I didnt crash her!
>>
>>1672961
For starters build a lighter quad. Race quads are usually 400 grams or less. These days most people go with 1800-2000 kv motors on 6s, with very aggressive props.
>>
>>1672819
>tuning a build can be a challenge.

99% of the time, a generic 5" freestyle build doesn't need tuning at all.
>>
>>1672961

Take off the gopro
>>
>>1673034
noob here. Should i go straight to 5 inch or stay smol

Im not a retard and tuning shouldnt be a problem unless these things shatter into a billion pieces if the clip the ground or a branch.

from what i understand they are all carbon fiber
>>
>>1673134
If you don't own a gopro or are on a tight budget, I don't really see much reason to go 5" over 2.5" or 3".
>>
>>1673134

3" is probably the sweet spot at this point in time. You can stay small but still use 4s/6s which makes a hypothetical future transition to larger quads a bit easier. E.g. you get to use the same chargers
>>
>>1673034
Based as fuck.
Especially if you're a KISS master race. Even beta flight peasants don't need to tune their kwads these days.
>>
>>1672961
high KV doesn't necessarily mean higher speed. You need to pair the appropriate KV with the appropriate propeller size.

>>1672849
diatone is pretty good indeed. However, if you can afford it I'd recommend building your own. You don't need to buy super expensive KISS gear and the latest frame from impulseRC, but if your GTR349 breaks and you don't know how to fix it you're screwed.

>>1672820
The QX7 has shit gimbals. If you want proper gimbals get a X9D and get the upgraded gimbals.
>>
>>1673174
There is a qx7 with “upgraded” hall gimbles. Is that still shit?
>>
>>1673183
Yes the hall gimbals are better but Im gonna be honest with you, the guy telling you the regular QX7 has shitty gimbals is full of crap. He is the first person Ive ever seen saying they are straight up bad. The QX7 is the most popular transmitter in this hobby, and to be frank the X9D is overpriced, especially if youre just getting into the hobby.
>>
>>1673134
Interesting, I'll do some more research. I bought a couple sets of 5" butter cutters along with the emax blades indtalled now for sampling/breakage , I'll give them a swap.

>>1673183
Noob here, I like my X9D, but tell my friends to get the qx7. The larger screen is moot since you'll be in goggles, and from what I've tried the qx7 was comparable, for cheaper.

>>1673134
I'm the one that just built the reverb, it's fun as hell, looking to make another 5" or a 3". I agree with the other poster, if you have a gopro, 5" otherwise that 3" looks zippy and helluva lot of fun.
>>
>>1673134
If you want to fly with an action camera (GoPro, Yi, or whatever chinabrand your local supermarket sells for $30) then 5" is the way to go.
>>
File: lblhe1322.jpg (311 KB, 1000x1000)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
I used to have a coaxial helicopter when I was a kid and it was great fun, so I bought a Blade 230S V2 to get back into the hobby. I was told that with the safe mode it would be as easy to fly as basically any other helicopter. It arrived today, but as it turns out there were no batteries included, so I'll have to wait a while more. Oh well.

The box recommends an 850mah battery, but the forums I visited to find the best brand all said Turnigy 1000mah. Do you think this is advisable? I'm not planning to do acrobatics, at least not at first, so if it's just that it becomes more sluggish with a heavier battery, it should be fine, but can the controller compensate for the different centre of mass?
>>
>>1673264
if people are saying that model helicopter can hold that type of battery go for it
>>
>>1673264

flight controllers have come a long, long way since you were a kid.
>>
>>1673426
> laughs at Betaflight peasants from my KISS V2 BUTTTTERRRRRRR
>>
>>1673243
> noob
> just built a reverb

Top kek

>>1673232

fuck off mate, you know nothing about the hobby. Only noobs and pieces of shit use the QX7 unironically. The X9D is pretty darn cheap for what it is. If you truly have the money just go for a Futaba, the gimbals are truly amazing. The people who say the QX7 "ins't that bad" never tried a X9D or above in their entire miserable existence. If anything is overpriced it's the QX7. 150$ for that piece of shit!!! How is this not theft?
Fucking obese drunklord Stingerswarm was paid by FrSky to tell everyone the QX7 is amazing, but it's so full of shit you can smell it light years away. Fucking noobs, as if the hobby needed anymore ruining.
>>
>>1673444
Whatre you laughing at yourself? Kiss is outdated as fuck. You and Steele's hipster ass are the only 2 people using it.

>Laughs at your $700 quad that flies worse than UAVFutures $100 build.
>>
>>1673449
>Implying UAV futures isn't a spy for the chinese government

what a piece of shit you are
Also, found the poorfag who can't afford a 1000$ quad
>>
>>1673447
>You know nothing about the hobby
At least I know the actual price of the QX7.
>This retard thinks its $150
You must be that fuckwit that got banned twice for calling people the n word. Only person ruining anything is you. Trying to get complete noobs to buy an X9D when there are literal thousands of people praising the QX7. Think I was kidding when I said you are the absolute first person Ive ever seen saying the gimbals are bad.
>>1673450
>$1000 quad
This must be the RC version of owning a hummer, sorry about your dick bro. Its only funny because youd actually have to run KISS to spend $1000 on anything less than an X Class. Enjoy your overpriced garbage.
>>
>>1673453
>overpriced garbage
maybe...but the greatest pilots of all time (Steele and Novak) use the same gear as I do

>At least I know the actual price of the QX7
with upgraded gimbals it's 150 USD

>that got banned twice for calling people the n word
Uh? Do you mean from /diy/ or the group of pussies known as "Rotor Riot Facebook Group"? Do you even know who I am? Remember 1%FPV?
>>
>>1673458
JohnnyFPV and Drib are WAY better than Steele.

The Gimbals are your only complaint so why exactly is that price for upgraded gimbals overpriced. Hell you could just buy the gimbals are DIY them yourself for less than that, QX7s on sale like once a month for $90.
>>
>>1673463
Drib ruined RotorRiot plus he's a massive faggot
JohnnyFPV is only better than Steele in racing.
>>
>>1673471
Cant say I enjoy dribs style, but he definitely didnt ruin RR alone, Steele helped him fuck it up doing the stupid stunts theyve been doing for years, Steele is a very irresponsible pilot. Never said he was bad, but Drib pulls way better stunts in his videos, and Johnny's reverse wall ride video is better than anything Steele has done. In terms of racing that pro that took first place in the DRL that has been in RRs most recent videos is the best Ive seen. Him flying that octocopter they showed in their most recent videos is ridiculous.
>>
Getting mad about youtubers...

Thanos had the right idea
>>
>>1673481
What part of that conversation made you think anyone was mad?
>>
>>1673483

What part of typing out that post made you think that you weren't mad?
>>
>>1673523
The part where I wasnt mad, its called a conversation. Normal people and non liberals have them without getting mad all the time.
>>
>>1673481
On the surface, yes it's dumb, but these idiots are likely to get real-world consequences for the rest of us. A hobby that was previously very lightly regulated is now becoming heavily regulated. These channels are documenting themselves doing reckless activities around people and private property, it's presenting evidence in 4K to people who would rather ban everything all together. How many times has Rotor Riot recorded themselves trespassing? They're not even pulling in that many views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goNdM235U9g
>>
>>1673626
RR got fined like $14k for doing a video a few years back flying around some bridge in Canada. Fully opened bridge, cars were going over it and everything. According to them they had no idea they were fucking up until traffic stopped and the cops showed up. These days in the very least Drib and Bardwell fly abandoned buildings and random parks. As mentioned earlier Steele doesnt give a fuck and still posts videos flying around construction sites he probably snuck into or over roads and shit like that. Stu from UAVFutures flies around and sometimes inside a cemetery, which I cant imagine thrills people but I guess thats better than crowded areas. Ive recently noticed here in Colorado that alot of parks have no drone signs as of recently. It was actually a big deal in our local MultiGP chapter, someone noticed there was a large white box installed in a popular park that was interfering with FPV signals. Whether it was meant to do that or not I dont know but as you said the few are fucking it up for alot of us.
>>
>>1672961
Get a Split instead of the GoPro
>>
>>1673449
yeah but for a long time KISS was lightyears ahead of betaflight, he has good reason to smug
>>
>>1673740

this, pretty happy with my split's quality. don't get the wifi module though, it's very easy to break off unless you have a way to decouple the connector
>>
>>1673447
What's wrong with the reverb? I like the look of the frame, went together fine.

Also what does it matter if you fly Beta or KISS? A good pilot will be good, and a shit pilot will be shit.

>Mr.Steel uses KISS, Drib is better
Fanboyism is dumb, it literally has zero bearing on how well you pilot. They're all fantastic pilots in their own right, though I'd say their real skill is cinematography.

Regulation is inevitable, fun will always be nipped by the government for "safety" or old fucks bitching. Heaven forbid people actually live freely. So as shit as it is big names like Rotor Riot fucks it up for us, or the Steeles and UAVfutures hit bandos, I cant hate on sticking it to the man. Will you all really stick to 'drone zones' like smoking sections or skate parks when the time comes?
>>
>>1673801
There's a huge difference between flying in an empty park that's actually a 'no drone zone' vs flying over speeding traffic or crowds of people.

I break the rules almost every single time I fly (can't use more than 25mW of 5.8G, can't fly within 150m of a 'congested area' which means literally any developed space, can't fly without a spotter, etc.) but that doesn't mean what I do is on the same level as the idiots that risk causing pileups on motorways.
>>
Anyone here experienced in fixed wing? What would be the ideal power kit, motor+ESC+battery (3s-4s) for a 1300mm wingspan sports-aerobatic plane?
>>
>>1674009
I used this setup in my C-1 Chaser 1450kv motor, 45A ESC, 2200mah 3S. Will spin a 9x6 on 3S or 8x4 on 4S. Look at the flite test power packs, they have everything grouped together, but they typically use a lower KV motor with a bigger prop.
>>
is it at all advisable to build a drone on a raspberry pi for the purpose of picking up the walnuts in my yard, or is there a better walnut retrieval solution on the market?
>>
>>1674350
No..

Go buy one of those push things they use to pick up golf balls.
>>
>>1674362
the nuts are too big.
>>
>>1674363
No fucking way a walnut is bigger than a golf ball.
>>
>>1674364
pretend its baseballs but they're green with brown splotches and stain your fingers black.
>>
>>1674350

Not a flying one, but a ground vehicle of some sort might be feasible.
>>
>>1673809
Ok but don't be dumb about it and ruin it for the rest of us
>>
>>1674009
2205 motor, 1800mah battery, 30amp ish esc (check motor amperage chart), 2 blade prop for efficiency, maybe 7inch diameter tops
>>
>>1674473
2205 would be utterly anaemic for that scenario. You'd want at least 2212.
>>
File: ormusfruitpictures.jpg (72 KB, 527x471)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1674364
They are if you fertilize them with dark matter.
t. /x/
>>
>>1674600
Actually sounds like the dude may have been talking about them with the husk, which I forgot they had.
>>
anybody here build any autonomous/programmable drones?
>>
>>1674366
Then get whatever they use to harvest baseballs at the baseball farm.
>>
>>1674664

I don't have access to deep AI tech so I can't design a flying artificial intelligence that doesn't suck, therefore I didn't bother.
>>
>>1674664
Any drone running iNav/Arducopter is autonomous/programmable, so yes there are several people here who have done it.
>>
>>1674664
It's on my to-do list.
Which reminds me, are there any quadcopter frames designed specifically to fit a raspberry pi?
>>
>>1674548
Yeah you're probably right, if I remember. Correctly they don't pull much more than 30A so other recommendations are still valid
>>
>>1674754
Much easier to use a regular FC with inav and then attach a rpi with w/ serial to send waypoint coordinates
>>
>>1674664
I've built drones that did "fly to waypoint and wait" type stuff
>>
Well today i bought the eachine lizard 105s for 78$ because it was on sale.
I'm prepared to fix the issues, but can anyone recommend a cheap suitable carbon frame and better props?
>new version has 1106 5200kv
>>
>>1671645
What's the best site to buy parts in USA?
Can anyone recommend a good battery charger?
>>
>>1675001
Banggood usually delivers from china in 7-10 days if you get the cheapest shipping and look for in stock items (shipped in 24 hours)
>>
>>1675002
Is bang good different from aliexpress? Cause aliexpress takes over a month to receive shipments.
>>
>>1675005
Banggood is usually very fast, the shipping isnt free but its usually about 2-3$
They have some items in their US warehouse also
https://banggood.app.link/OVrNPbltCZ
>>
>>1674972
Well yeah, you need both a regular FC and a Pi.
Pi doesn't run a realtime kernel, relying on it to send ESC signals is a good way to lose your drone.
But I don't want to just strap a Pi on top of a drone with zipties, that's fucking ugly.
>>
>>1671815
You can trim the accelerometer with stick commands. JB has a video on it. I've done it with my mobula7 and it worked really well, but only because I used angle mode indoors. You'll still get drift iif you're outside in the wind
>>
File: 1560378857461.jpg (94 KB, 600x900)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
How do I prevent my hands from shaking like I have parinsons when I solder those smol pads??
>>
>>1675042
Take a breather. I have found that if I try to keep going it just gets worse. Also tape everything down in place before soldering it.
>>
>>1675001
People recommend bangood because it cheap, but most of the parts you get there are shit. If you want proper equipment go to the RotorRiot/Lumenier/TBS store, GetFPV is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>1675001
Good LiPo chargers

>cheap but reliable
ISDT Q6 Lite

>heavy duty, my personal fav
ISDT D2

To be used with ISDT or JoshuaBardwell parallel boards.
>>
>>1675090
You realise banggood sell all the exact same parts/brands as those other stores, right?

Also...

>RotorRiot

Cancer.

>TBS

Cancer.

>GetFPV

Borderline cancer.
>>
>>1675090
Ignore this. Banggood is like chinese Amazon, look at the brands. There's also Hobbyking, Amain Hobbies, ReadyMade RC, Get FPV, RaceDay Quads, and more.
>>
>>1675148
>>1675112
Purchasing stuff over at Banggood supports clones and counterfeit items. This is why I don't recommend it. But if you're broke, go ahead as it's dirt cheap.
>>
File: 1151375742412.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1675197
I support clones and counterfeit items happily.
A penny saved is a penny earned
>>
>>1675197
I've literally never heard of anybody getting counterfeit items from banggood.
>>
File: drilling.gif (3.24 MB, 320x336)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB GIF
What are the recommended bits for drilling into carbon fiber plates?
HSS? Carbide? CBN? Diamond?
>>
>>1675233
its literally plastic
its strong in tension but not hard to drill.
>>
>>1675233

Carbide is fairly abrasive, so you're gonna want something hard if you want the tool to last. Carbide's probably your best bet. That being said, if you're just talking about a 1-off project instead of production work, the cheapest jobber drills you can find will work fine.

I should also point out that carbon fiber dust isn't something you want to breathe in, being as bad or worse than asbestos. As with asbestos, it's not like light, infrequent exposure is going to do anything, but still. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>1675042
I'll often lean my hand on something so I'm more sliding it off the pad. Also sometimes it helps having the pen stationary while you whisk a wire and solder on it.
>>
>>1675001
See>
>>1675090
This. A couple other are saying banggood is decent, and I'd partially agree. You pay a little less, but Getfpv is fairly close for less ship time, and at the end of the day when I had to return an item it was easy, idk how thatd go with them. I also just prefer getfpv's storefront.

Race day squads did great with my batteries, I got a whoop and my power supply via banggood (took forever on both) but cheaper by $5+ I believe, so pretty much shipping. As far as quality that will depend on the vendor. In that case, the frame I picked up from Impulse is great, but highly suggest getting cheap frames and building a fleet for the price of one so you can fuck them up and practice without fear.
>>
>>1675001

I've had great results buying from racedayquads. I believe that all of their inventory is stateside. Their mini racegates are really nice, too
>>
Im thinking about buying a jumper t16 over the x9 lite pro, besides the hall sensor gimbals anyone have any negative experiences?
>>
>>1675260
This guy gets it.
For all you who live in Yurop like me, your options are:
DroneFPVRacer (french shop, massive inventory, great BnF quads and amazing customer service).
QUADCOPTERS UK (britfags, managed by Tom Smith himself)
DemonRC (some polaks recommended to me by Lexie Janson. Great frames, decent batteries and well-priced parts (although not KISS)).

Bangood in Europe will not only take at least three weeks of shipping plus a trip to the customs office because "smuggling inventory" or dumb shit like that. This is what happened to me, I'm never buying from Banggood again
>>
File: nah.jpg (734 KB, 1332x900)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
>>1675770
>kiss
>>
>>1675934
T. Poorfag who can't afford the good (or, at least, cool) stuff that the big boys use
>>
>>1676046
You mean the currently outclassed hipster trash?

You don't have the right to brag about overpaying for crap that as of like 2 years ago can't beat Betaflights performance. Cute as fuck that you have a superiority complex over it.
>he pays $26 for a 24a ESC.
I don't even have an image that conveys the proper amount of laughing for that. Absolute turboretard.
>>
>>1671645
How do I find places to fly where there won't be people bothering me?
>>
I am working on building my first autonomous quad and I was wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction. I already have a 3d printer that I am going to use to build the frame, I got a few brushless motors lying around, as well as a couple lipos. I was wondering about the flight controller though, Anyone have any luck with the Pixhawk mRo?

https://docs.px4.io/v1.9.0/en/flight_controller/mro_pixhawk.html
>>
>>1676194
Looks like it will work fine to me, listings say it doesn't come with telemetry though which you may want. Which frame are you planning on printing? Awhile back I attempted to print a frame for a Pixhawk Mini and ended up having to swap everything into a leftover Martian I had laying around because the frames I tried either didn't have enough room for all the shit you put on an Autonomous quad or the vibration was so bad it could get off the ground.
>>
>>1676196
Thanks anon. It looks like they sell a version that comes with Telemetry radios: https://store.mrobotics.io/product-p/mro-pixhawk1-fullkit-mr.htm . I am thinking about going with this frame: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:261145
>>
>>1676234
That one may actually work, I think the issue with the couple I tried were not having tubular arms. This is actually the one I was going to use if I ever try again, but you may or may not have big enough motors for it, that being said 2212s would probably work.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2453393
>>
>>1675770
>QUADCOPTERS UK (britfags, managed by Tom Smith himself)

He doesn't manage it, he was just a regular employee. And I think he doesn't work there at all anymore, now that he's opened his tattoo studio.

>Bangood in Europe will not only take at least three weeks of shipping plus a trip to the customs office

It's ~10 days to the UK & I've not once had a delivery delayed by customs nor had to pay any customs (I've made about 40 orders).

And there are a bunch of other decent UK shops that ship to the continent (at least until Brexit, should that ever happen).

>>1676194
3D printed frames aren't viable above micro size. You probably want arducopter over px4.
>>
>>1676479
Ive actually watched a fair number of videos with people using large format printed frames. Obviously they cant hold up to a crash and they arent as good as a real frame but saying they are viable just isnt true.

Can agree on Ardupilot over PX4 though, you can install both on Pixhawk's though.
>>
>>1676503
My point was more that if you don't want to buy a proper frame, you're better off screwing together some hardwood dowel than 3D printing. I'm saying this as somebody who owns a decent 3D printer.
>>
>>1676532
Yea but doing it with dowels is no where near as interesting.
>>
>>1676536
Building a house out of bricks is nowhere near as interesting as building it out of twinkies, but that doesn't mean you should actually do the latter.
>>
>>1676546
Difference is a nylon or PETG quad frame is much more structurally viable than twinkies. I have a PLA printed 5 inch I fly quite often, its even stood up to a few crashes. As long as the arms are rigid a printed frame will at least function as well as a carbon one during flight, especially for just a camera rig that has no additional strain from flight.
>>
>>1676583
>As long as the arms are rigid

Even the best designed PET-G printed frame won't be as rigid as a simple piece of hardwood dowel. This is kinda my whole point.
>>
>>1676585
But it will be rigid enough for flight.
>>
>>1676588
Are you just being obtuse for the sake of it? The point is why bother going to the effort/expense to 3D print something that can be made better, faster & cheaper from some bits of wood? Yes a PET-G frame will be rigid enough to fly (I've literally done it) but it won't be as rigid as some bits of wood & thus won't fly as well as some bits of wood. Exactly the same as how Flamewheels so often flew like complete shit because their glass fibre arms had so much flex in them.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 3D printer, but I leave it for things it's actually suited to. Far too many people buy a 3D printer & then look for problems to solve with it, ignoring where other (simpler, quicker, faster) options are objectively far superior.
>>
>>1677059
everyone who says they're going to 3D print a quad frame responds like >>1676588. It's not worth arguing.
>>
Well since were on the subject of frames, what would you all consider the best budget frames to get?

I'm looking to build a small fleet to build as gifts for friends who are interested in fpv, and partially for the selfish reason of having people to fly/race with. Trying to keep costs low, maybe build 4 for around $1k? Not counting controllers etc.
>>
>>1677059
If anything you guys are being obtuse.

Yes, it will work better with wood, woopie. But it will work just fine 3D printing it, and that is a hell of a lot more interesting than slapping a dowel on the band saw and cutting it 3 times. I dont give a shit that it will be better with wood, it would be way better with carbon tubes and I wouldnt have to do shit if I did that. You're completely missing the point, guy wants to 3D print it, let him 3D print it and stop being a killjoy.
>>
>>1677283
To be completely honest you could rather easily build 4 quads for $600 or so if you went with completely budget builds. I personally wouldn't recommend giving complete newbs quads with $20 motors and whatnot. That being said the Martian frames have always been a fairly standard budget option.
>>
>>1677286
Oops
>>1677256
>>
>>1677256

There are plenty of very nice bind 'n fly toothpick-style quads in the vicinity of $100.

Is there any particular reason that you want to introduce new pilots to larger, faster, more expensive to repair/maintain quads?

These days even micros have way more power on tap than a brand new pilot is going to be able to handle for a good long while;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_ErnOs88Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRuAGWVKm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQciAwtBQhk
>>
>>1677420
That's fantastic footage.

I was considering Martians. My reasoning was I'll be travelling for about a year come Jan, and so wanted to give them drones they can grow into as a parting gift. Also I'm worried about tree coverage killing signal where we are considering setting up a semi permanent track. I'm sure they'll be a lot of crashes, into the lake included, but that's a good way to let them work on their own repairs.

A whoop course hidden under the forest wouldn't be bad either though, and then we could move it anywhere
>>
>>1677553
Trees are your worst enemy. I've lost maybe 3000$ worth of kwads in the woods. Sometimes long range and lost signal, sometimes just crashed and couldn't find it back. Stay the fuck away from trees.
>>
>>1676585
I've used petg arms formy 3"micro and it flew just like a carbon frame. The main problem were the crashes,the arms would just break and rip out motor wires. So I switched to abs and it was much better. But it all comes back to the design. I printed one of these birdbone frames in abs and it seems durable enough. Still planning to get a used quad somewhere just to mount the parts on a 3d printed frame for shits and giggles.
>>
File: DSC07299.jpg (392 KB, 1350x900)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
After using a X9D+ for >3.5 years, holding this in my hands really emphasises how much the X9D lacks any semblance of ergonomics whatsoever O_o
>>
>>1672198
>compressed H2
kek, this sounds like a thermobaric bomb in the making. imagine if it ruptured
>>
>>1677556
Funny you write that, just went to my favorite local spot and lost my drone in a tree, cant tell which one. Just go too close for an s turn and telemetry and video immediately went out after I hit the line branch reaching for me.

Looking around but have little faith I'll find it fuckers up there about 50 feet
>>
>>1678288

You have it marked with your phone number, right anon?
>>
File: Snapchat-758328118.jpg (1.51 MB, 1386x2688)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>1678331
Nope, but as promised, I got the wreck and here she is. Got stuck 50ft. up, a girl came and saw me try to climb but the limbs were too brittle, so she returned with a soccer ball. After an hour of kicking it up, I broke the branches and it free. FC, VTX, camera, RX and motors all worked except the broken arm one where the signal wire broke. I'll have to replace the wire and resolder it, but better than having to make a complete rebuild.

The crash was a smashing success! learned my lesson on getting too cocky and close during an S-turn, trees really are a drones arch-rival.

Prior to that one I'm pretty happy with the flight, was getting some tight turns and hitting gaps I couldn't before.
>>
File: DSC02856.jpg (323 KB, 1350x900)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
3 months later, I finally got the last 2 motors for my flat hex. First time in ~40 orders that they've tried to screw me over, I guess that's not bad odds considering the prices...
>>
>>1678789
Those just racerstar motors?

Lemme know how it goes, been considering building an X Class with their 4108s for shits and gigs.
>>
>>1678789
Looks great anon, but who did you purchase from?
>>
>>1678806
Yeah they're just <$9 Racerstars. Most of their stuff is cheap & cheerful, you get what you pay for, some of it is rebadged from other (sometimes more reputable) manufacturers, etc. If you're looking for cheap ~4108 motors, also look at Tarot & Gartt.

>>1678897
Motors came from Banggood.
>>
>>1679021
Looked a bit more into it and I may got with the 4114s. Racerstars are the still cheapest option, worst case a buy a couple extras. Was going to use either carbon tubes, aluminum tubes, or just wooden dowels like you've done and sandwich them with a couple 1 piece bottom plates from some random frame.
>>
>>1679024
Just remember that 99% of carbon fibre tubes are pulltruded, not woven (even if they look woven from the outside because they wrap them in a single layer of woven veneer) so they split very easily lengthways, especially of you drill through them to mount parts.

If I was doing something like that on the cheap I'd probably use 21mm hardwood dowel (that's the biggest I designed my carbon plates to comfortably accommodate). The earlies x-class stuff I saw was just hardwood dowel with PVC pipe joints in the middle to form the hub.
>>
>>1679033
Theres a few 16mm carbon fiber tubes on Amazon that claim to be woven, tough call if they actually are. Considering Id be using round tubes Id probably buy some of those aftermarket motor mounts that grip the ends of the tubes anyways.

Theres also a guide around of some dude using aluminum 20x20 tubes that are about 1.5mm thick. Thats where I got the idea to sandwich the arms between 2 unibody bottom plates from some cheap clones. Kind of a tough call if hollow aluminum would be better than hardwood dowel. In the very least it probably wouldnt break the arm in a crash more than bend it so one can only hope the motor would survive.
>>
Which ones are better for what application and why?
>>
Does anyone here know where to find a 6-12v input 3c charging circuit that will fit onboard a 5" drone? the best i could find was linking 3 single cell lipo chargers in series, but obviously that's not optimal, and takes up more space than i'd like. An individual chip is fine for me desu, but i'd prefer a breakout board.

This is for an onboard solar recharging thing btw. Not that i expect to recharge while flying, but i want to fly it somewhere, land it, and recharge. The end goal is to steal starbucks/mcdonalds/my neighbors internet with high bandwidth over long distances thru 5ghz directional radios. This charging part is the only part holding me up.
>>
>>1679302
>want

I am interested in your build , i dont need to do the same , just never thought about a drone with a router on board , pull the guts out of a wrt54g with ddwrt firmware is my first thoughts on your idea . as for the charger just buy a soar charger and gut it and install . should be easy to find online ..... good luck , happy hacking
>>
>>1679312
its not really a router, just wifi and a beaglebone blue. i plan on connecting with a conventional wifi chip, either uart breakout or maybe i'll make a mount for USB wifi sticks. was thinking piping data p2p thru the 5ghz video radio. It'll limit me to viewing through a computer but thats fine.

https://www.batteryspace.com/smartdccharger10a55mmx21mmbarrelmaleplugfor111vli-ionbatterypack.aspx
This looks like it might work desu
i was hoping i could find one that is 6v input for a slightly better solar panel config but this is fine

for those interested in something with onboard charging, look at car phone chargers, they all take 12v and some are 3s.
>>
Hey /rcg/ is there a surefire way to calculate the amp rating needed for your ESC's? Do I total my motors KV? Also 4 in 1 seems lighter, you dont need to cut you motor leads down, and price difference looks negligible. I get the '1 goes out you need to replace them all' but I've never had them fail while my other parts have...is it common still or just an old superstitious fault nowadays?
>>
File: welp.jpg (904 KB, 1350x1800)
904 KB
904 KB JPG
>>1678789
>>1678806
Welp, turns out the brand new motor I thought was just noisy due to a jank bearing was apparently due to the magnets rubbing the stators - see the parts where the material has been polished?

Presumably that physical resistance made the current draw skyrocket because it blew the ESC when I was just checking motor direction by spinning them up to 20% on the bench with no props.

Oh well, no maiden tomorrow, but I have new (better) motors & (better) ESCs on order which will arrive before the weekend.
>>
The cheap Chinese bullet connectors on my motors don't fit. Should I just crush them with pliers?
>>
>>1679897
As long as it still makes a connection.

but bags of new connectors are cheap and its not hard. Plus you'll want to trim the extra length probably.
>>
File: DSC07325.jpg (325 KB, 1350x900)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
This definitely seems to be an improvement over the original full-size R9M module, both in terms of build quality & user-friendliness. The dip switches & external power input on the original were just confusing...
>>
>>1680424
One of these days Ill be able to afford this shit.
>>
>>1679897
>using bullet connectors in 2019

Are you serious?
>>
>>1680424
>he's not a pincher

never gonna make it
>>
>>1680450
>>1680451
>he makes 2 posts to maximize (You)s.

Poor shitposting tactic.

Bullet connectors are still pretty widely used for larger format quads and shit like X Class. Pretty sure its a bit safer but it also makes it alot easier to swap motors/ESCs in the event of a failure on top of being safety measure for testing a brand new motor/ESC.

Also pinching/thumbing is completely preferential. The idea you get more accuracy pinching is complete bullshit. Someone thats been playing X Box since they were 7 would likely perform far better thumbing than someone thats been pinching from the get go only on their quad transmitter.
>>
File: DSC07302.jpg (268 KB, 1350x900)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>1680451
I actually am a pincher, hence why I fitted the longer stick ends & the neck strap adapter. Coming from 3.5 years on a X9D+, latterly with the 'pole' style stick ends on the M9 gimbals, I've found the X-Lite remarkably comfortable for pinching.
>>
How much is an FPV racing drone and a pair of decent goggles? I'm broke.
>>
>>1680591
You can get something like the Tinyhawk RTF package, which contains everything you need, for $160.

But if you want a proper 5" quad & a radio, you want an absolute bare minimum of $300-400 to get started.
>>
>>1675253
No carbon fiber dust is not as bad or worse than asbestos.... stop spreading misinformation.
>>
>>1680857
I mean, both can cause mesothelioma, asbestos just takes alot less exposure to do so.
>>
File: DSC07353.jpg (389 KB, 1350x900)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
Out with the $9 Racerstar motors, in with another six pack of SunnySky X-series mk3. The 2212 which I already have on my Y6 were out of stock, but the 2216 were only £1 more expensive, so... Overkill? Sure, but it looks great~
>>
>>1680985
Do those mounts come with the motors are have you gotten those somewhere else?
>>
File: DSC07348.jpg (214 KB, 1350x900)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>1681017
They came with the motors, they're actually strangely hard to find separately. I think they're a pretty oldschool thing intended for mounting motors to wings? These particular motors are specifically marketed as wing motors.
>>
>>1681027
Yea I looked around for motor mounts for the 4114s Id use if I built an X Class. That was my biggest concern DIYing a frame was a reliable way to mount the motors so I wouldnt eject and destroy it should I crash.
>>
File: disco.png (456 KB, 1100x1100)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
What is this weird c-shaped hole for?
>>
>>1681048
Thats where you put the rubber band to hold your go pro on, there should be another one on the bottom?
>>
File: DSC06829.jpg (477 KB, 1350x900)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>1681044
It's honestly pretty weird how simple, standard motor mounts seem so difficult to find, but I guess it's to be expected now that we all buy ready made carbon fibre frames with integrated mounting points, instead of building our own frames from material from the hardware store?
>>
File: Snapchat-297321936.jpg (782 KB, 1386x2688)
782 KB
782 KB JPG
Repairs are complete, and I'm ready for fall.
>>
>>1681161
>got expensive motors for first build
>didnt even get the gold ones
Weak.
>>
Whats the best way to weather/waterproof a circuit board while saving weight?
>>
>>1681161
>Drib motors

Kill yourself
>>
>>1681269
>T. The retard that overpays for KISS.

That being said, cant say Id buy Drib motors, and if I did itd be exclusively for the color.
>>
>>1680734
Oh, that wasn't as expensive as I'd thought it'd be. I was assuming 1K usd + to be the minimum. But are we counting the goggles too or just the drone and radio?
>>
>>1681161
Isn't your battery a bit off kilter?
>>
>>1681345
That's counting everything. You can buy a basic but perfectly fine set of 'box' style goggles for $60-80, you don't need to spend $600 on a pair of FatShark HDO.
>>
>>1681217
Gold ones? Honestly bought more for aesthetic since I have zero knowledge on motors. That said, they've flown nicely, but I dont have any others to go off.

>>1681269
See above. What do you like to fly?

>>1681358
Yeah it is, fixed it after the picture.
>>
>>1674974
I've been thinking about creating a drone repeater network, having multiple drones fly to certain points and relay information to other drones all the way back to me
>>
I think I found our drone-lamp guy.
<plebbit
> forgive me father, for I have sinned
>>
>>1681836
Nah that guy wanted to use the drone to hover a light over a work site for hours on end.
>>
File: 1568376655461.jpg (689 KB, 3351x1891)
689 KB
689 KB JPG
>order skyzone sky02C's from aliexpress
>packaging says 02C
>they have the useless front camera included
>can't access camera or 3D mode though
Anyone else seen this before? Could I change the firmware to 02X?
>>
File: DSC02878.jpg (303 KB, 1350x900)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
Rebuild with new motors/ESCs complete~ Now to wait for suitable weather to go maiden...
>>
>>1681708

Why don't you just train pigeons?
>>
File: DSC02887.jpg (399 KB, 1350x900)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
I'm actually slightly intimidated :/
>>
>>1671645
>>1671645
do i want the Q X7S or Q X7?
both are $90 at hobby king
>>
How to you move the shaft on a brushless outrunner so that it sticks out from the stationary part of the bell housing? I backed both setscrews out all the way but couldn't budge the shaft, and I didn't want to wreck it by just goin to town on it.
>>
>>1683313
QX7s
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.dronetrest.com/taranis-qx7-vs-qx7s-what-should-you-get/amp/

Looks like hall gimbal and battery upgrade for the same price
>>
Noob faggot here with the tinyhawk who made the first post in this thread

>how the fuck do you autists fly this outside of bitch safe mode? Do i really have to get liftoff and buy a taranis just to learn how to fly these things? A tiny tap of the stick sends it 180 degrees into the ground
>>
>>1683870
yeah, but get velocidrone not liftoff. it took me about 10 hours in velocidrone before i could fly my 5 incher without crashing literally every time

idk what you're using for a controller but a real controller will have way more "travel" than whatever you're currently using
>>
>>1683870
>>1683883
Took me about 20 minutes in LiftOff to work out how rate/acro mode worked, I probably played for about an hour or so total before I tried a 5 inch IRL & successfully flew 2 packs.
>>
>>1683883
i dont purchase games off of steam so liftoff is the only asnwer for me
>>
>>1684066
Velocidrone had it's own site you can but it off but my X9D didnt want to work correctly with it while Liftoff did.

>>1683870
I'd recommend one of the sims just to get used to acro modeparticularly trying races taught me how to do all those tight gate maneuvers. Put a few hours in and then find a nice open park and try open, wide turns, large gaps etc. You want to learn to finesse the controls, you can slowly and key word safely tighten up your hands to keep stable flight and your corners will get closer.

Then again I'm the dumbass that got my drone stuck in the tree. Eventually, shit happens when flying, just the way of it. I found a local fpv group with a community and experience.The Sim will help get the feel, but having people to talk and fly with or watch me fly gives that direct feedback and critique, instead of via 4chan.
>>
Is there a complete package FPV set I could by? If so what should I put my money towards, or stay away from?
>>
>>1671645
I'm fairly new to FPV and I have the eachine EV800D and Diatone GTR349 and I am really dissapointed with the video quality. I thought I could get used to it but it's honestly so garbage I can barely see where I'm going a lot of the time. Does it get better with goggles like Fatsharks and better antennas/receivers or should I just sell my gear and get the DJI FPV setup, even though it's expensive?
>>
>>1684328
Video quality on FPV cameras is generally pretty shit, with the exception of the DJI system. That being said you should be able to see where youre going, most everyone else can. Stuff like small branches are usually hard to see but flying in open areas you shouldnt be having a problem. Are you getting lots of static on your goggles are are you actually having problems with the quality of the video feed?
>>
>>1684414
I do get a tiny bit of static periodically but it's more about the low resolution and quality of the video. But then again the EV800Ds have a pretty huge screen compared to a lot of the regular goggles like fatsharks so maybe that's why? I can see where I'm going in open areas or bigger gaps but any kind of flying around trees or through smaller gaps it's just so bad I really can't tell the difference between the open hole and the edges of the gap and crash.
>>
>>1682990
Saw in your reddit post that you used a Matek board with Arducopter for this thing. How does one get Ardupilot onto a regular flight controller like that, and do you think it would work well in a fixed wing?
>>
File: stlink.jpg (83 KB, 700x800)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1684768
Regular flight controllers use regular STM32 processors, you can use a chinkshit st-link programmer for $2 to flash them with anything you want.
>>
>>1684768
Ignore >>1684788, you can just flash Ardupilot & it's bootloader the first time using the Betaflight/Cleanflight configurator, then for subsequent updates you can do it direct through Mission Planner like usual.

Check out ArxangelRC in the OP, he has been using Arduplane on Omnibus F4 boards for ages & swears by that combo.
>>
I just got a free Oculus Go from work that hasn't even been used. Can I use it for FPV together with a DJI Mavik or something?
>>
>>1684889
Fpv goggles are not VR goggles. While they both send information from a screen through lenses, the video bieng fed to the screen for FPV is bieng transmitted over a VTX, the video transmitter antenna.

In theory, you could do it, but you'd have to mod them to recieve the signal via antenna modules and software, or use any existing outlets on the goggles to wire into a ground station. That may be enough to see crossfire menus in theater mode, and then lock on and display whatever channel your transmitting on. With the VR's headtracking, you could even work a gimbal camera or just keep the IMAX flight feel, but honestly a huge screen is distracting you want a more focused or HD view for immediate clarity.

I've got a pair of google goggles and extra phones I never use, might have to test your theory out now.
>>
Why would I want goggles when I have a laptop with a perfectly good screen?
>>
>>1685086
That's like asking why would you want a wristwatch when there's a clock built into your microwave.
>>
>>1685086
good question for /diy/. Has anyone tried flying while standing a laptop or monitor on your vehicle or in a stand? projector?
>>
>>1684799
Not gonna lie, Arxangel looks like a good source, but just from watching his Autopilot/FPS setup for a plane video Im honestly still confused. From your post I can figure out how to flash a board but in his video he sets stuff up strangely. Uses a part that only works with one of those multi thousand dollar long range setups, does wire ESCs to the FC, doesnt wire the camera or VTX to the FC, and uses an external BEC. Ive picked up over time how to build a quad but nothing this dude does matches up with the knowledge I already have.
>>
>>1685122
What exactly is it you're struggling with? Setup/wiring is essentially the same as a quad, you just have fewer motors & more servos. Obviously you don't need to use the antenna tracker hardware & the separate BEC to power the servos is just if you're worried about overloading the 5V regulator the FC - exactly the same reason you wouldn't try to power all your receiver, camera, VTX, LEDs etc. on a quad all from the FC's 5V regulator.
>>
>>1685120
I've flown from a FPV monitor many times before (eg a monitor with analogue input & a sun shade) but trying to see a laptop screen outside in the sun, plus all the extra latency of analogue to digital conversion if you used it with a traditional analogue 5.8GHz system for FPV, would be a complete joke.
>>
>>1685278
After looking into it more over the last half day I think Im resolved most of my confusion, save for the BEC. Pretty much everything Im finding on google for wiring them are guides from 2010-2012 when FPV first got big. Do you simply wire the BEC to VBAT and then solder the positive/negative of the servos to the BEC?

Additionally Im curious if you or anyone here has any experience/opinions on what bird makes for a decent iNAV/Arduplane build? As of right not Im wanting to use on of FliteTest's DIY foamboard designs, mainly just for the nostalgia and fun of building a plane like the old days.In hopes of using the 3s 3000MaH batteries I use for my Arducopter quad I was mainly looking at the Explorer. Ive also seen the Bixler models thrown around as decent recommendations, pretty sure the FT Explorer is based off those designs. Only real hard part would be figuring out where all the parts would go in that FT plane, but thats part of the fun as well.
>>
File: DSC05965.jpg (473 KB, 1350x900)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>1685435
The BEC you're seeing in these builds is just a 5V regulator, which takes power from VBAT & provides 5V power to the servos, exactly as you explained. I have no idea why this hobby insists on calling them 'BEC' instead of just 'voltage regulator', I've literally not come across a single other situation in which the term 'BEC' is used & I've been using voltage regulators for umpteen purposes for 20 years.

If you're using something like an Omnibus F4 board then powering servos from a separate 5V BEC/regulator is a good idea, as the 5V regulator built into an Omnibus or similar isn't very powerful & if you overload it you risk losing power to other critical components that are powered by it (such as your RC receiver).

However there are now wing specific FCs like the Matek F405-WING or F411-WING or F722-WING which have separate high power regulators just for the servos & will simplify the build substantially. In fact the Matek F405-WING was possibly the first FC build specifically for iNav (& also received an Arduplane image very quickly). I never actually got around to flying mine (built it into a Nano Talon) but I'm getting a car soon so will have access to more wing suitable locations to try it out at.
>>
>>1685435
The FT Explorer is based of the Bixler-style planes, in the announcement video they paint one up and call it the "Boxler". The interior is almost completely open so you have plenty of room.

Listen to >>1685449 and just think "5V Regulator" anytime you see BEC. Using one of the Matek fixed wing boards will make it much easier, but if you want to use an omnibus, then check out RagTheNutsOff or Giz FPV for help wiring them up. Both guys mainly use iNav, but they'll explain the wiring.
>>
>>1685498
>>1685449
Thanks guys.

I was planning on using either the F405 or the F411 Wing, not sure what the difference is but that should be easy to figure out. My only other concern is the Firmware to run. I know Ardupilot is a more mature suite than iNav, but Ive also heard that doesnt mean iNav is bad. Im also concerned about running Arduplane on those Matek boards as I was watching a video on the subject and the author mentioned he was having some problems getting the board to reliably boot. Either of you guys know if iNav is actually noticeably worse than Arduplane, or if either would be better for a first time AP plane build?
>>
>>1671790
Just picked up a X9 lite for $70 at RDQ. Better than any $50 tx by a huge margin.
>>
>>1672692
Hey look, I found the guy that pretends he can tell the difference! Everyone look how special he is!

Seriously though, unless you’ve got a FS I6 or one of those turnigy abortions, your gimbals are fine, or can be adjusted to feel fine.
>>
>>1673134
I say go balls deep a get a 5” for your first one. Get a transmitter and learn the muscle memory on a simulator like velocidrone to get your first 300+ crashes under your belt. That $20 will get you further toward flying big fun quads than $100 on a whoop will.
>>
>>1673172
If I fuck with anything it’s just to get the jello out of my camera on the maiden flight lol.
>>
>>1673447
Pretending to hate on gear that other people like because it’s cheaper doesn’t make you cool.
>>
>>1675264
+1 for RDQ. Fast shipping and good customer service.
>>
>>1681264
Spray on conformal coating like corrosion-x will work wonders if you’re worried about light rain or wet grass. For something that might be submerged try silicone sealant (In the big tubes from Home Depot) thinned with MEK until you can smear it on with a popsicle stick. It’s like a poor man’s potting resin.
>>
>>1685660
Dudes a retard, probably the same guy toting KISS like its unbeatable.

Just don't feed the stupid.
>>
Ive been flying for the last few months with some bad filter settings. It was flying ok with no propwash but I was getting like 3min 30 second flight times when I was getting 4or5 mins before the update.

I changed around the filters settings going from biquad on some to PT1 and vice versa and now I have my 5 min flight times back.
>>
>>1682607
Can you show us / talk a bit about your tools?
>>
The next update of betaflight might be in a week or so. Its gonna make RPM filtering more available to people.

I guess if you have BL heli s ESC's you can use RPM filtering now if you buy a new firmware for them.
>>
File: IMG_0913-2.jpg (750 KB, 2560x1707)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
Flat hex maiden went well today! I think if anything it was actually *too* overpowered & didn't have enough throttle resolution beneath hover resolution - but that is easily addressable by actually loading it up with a fun payload &/or going down to 9" props from the 10" props it currently has. My hometown is celebrating Pride this weekend so it seemed particularly apt to maiden a rainbow pulsing LED hex today :3

>>1685518
iNav is *far* less mature than Arducopter, but it has the benefit of using the same configurator as betaflight/cleanflight if you're already familiar with that. As somebody who has been using both the betaflight/cleanflight configurator & Ardupilot's Mission Planner for years, the former is definitely more user friendly, but honestly the latter isn't exactly inaccessible to new users.

>>1685965
What specifically are you curious about? I use a Hakko FX-888D iron with a bunch of different tips, a Brymen multimeter, a cheap chinabrand bench power supply, Dewalt drill/driver. Turnigy hex drivers, Japanese Engineer brand snips/pliers/strippers, Tickitape PVC tape.
>>
My gnarlyfpv Primo 3 kit showed up a while back.

I have quite a few micros and toothpicks under my belt at this point, and this thing is simply the nicest one on the market by a wide margin.
This goes beyond ease of build and fit/finish considerations - the actual carbon fiber plate is significantly stronger than other frames I have at the same thickness.

It is also one of the lightest, if not THE lightest 3" quad you can build. A drop-in transfer of Mobula or Sailfly components comes in at around 50 grams.

3" props. 50 grams. I have never flown anything else quite like it. 1102 high kv motors do not really have enough torque for 3" props but disc loading is so low that handling is superb anyway. Amp draw is down to ~1.5a or less for relaxed flight, where ~2.5a was the norm on 2.5" props. This results in a full minute of additional flight time on a 3s 300mah

Still waiting on further maturation in the toothpick market before I move up to 4s. I expect that 12 minute flights will be possible on micro quads by this time next year. Maybe even normal.
>>
File: primo.jpg (145 KB, 900x590)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>1686086
>>
where can I talk about my roomba. I need a service manual for the 5100/6100/7100 series - I'm getting right wheel errors. took it apart and didn't see anything obvious.
>>
>>1686097
Im gonna go with Roomba customer service...
>>
>>1686045
Congratulations on the build it looks great!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.