[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: tool.jpg (172 KB, 940x627)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Thread hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Last thread:boards.4channel.org/diy/thread/1646751

>Haas automation videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/haasautomation/playlists
>Titans of CNC
https://www.youtube.com/user/titanamericanbuilt/playlists

I got rid of the rest of the links because nobody seem to care. I still got them, if someone thinks I should keep the OP as it was tell me so I post it again next time.
>>
>>1664483
oh fuck how do I mill 5 inch circles out of steel plate?

i need to make 500 of these fucking things in two weeks.
>>
>>1664635
is there some kind of circle cutter for 5 inch circles? fly cutter with the right end on it? (trepanning tool?)
>>
>>1664635
>buy bar stock
>cut bar stock .125 (1/8) longer
>fly cutter for rest
This is what I did when I didn't know anyone with a plasma cnc
>>
>>1664635
I'm guessing you don't have a lathe?

What thickness of material are you dealing with here, that could make a huge difference.
>>
>>1664635
how thick is it and what are your tolerances on diameter? also how much did you quote for 500?
>>
File: tableoff.jpg (181 KB, 1600x900)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
finally got the X ballscrew out, it would have been way faster and easier if I had any idea what the fuck I'm doing. I'm already looking forward to putting it all together and having left over parts
>>
File: cute.jpg (106 KB, 942x1600)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>1664846
above: 650 oz-in stall torque servo motors
below: 1094 oz-in stall torque servo motor
clearpath a cute desu
>>
>>1664790
>>1664738
It's not a problem I'm just joking.

>>1664849
modernity sure looks nicer to work with?
>>
>>1664846
don't take the ballscrew nut off the screw if you can avoid it, putting hte balls back in--in the right order--can be a pain.
>>
File: 0618191730.jpg (2.31 MB, 4656x3492)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>contact company about making parts
> think I might Get decent contract
>company informs me I must have 5million $ insurance to even in the door
Fucking shit fucking cunts

Lowest policy I've found is 20k per year. The contract is only worth like 30k at the most

Also one of the parts I was making last night slid in the 4th axis chuck. Didn't get damaged, just frustrating because now the program has to start from that point.
>>
>>1665002
soft jaws?
>>
>>1665007
Nope, can't do. The id is 8in and the od is 9in
>>
>>1665002
btw where do you source that material?

myalro has been great for larger volume runs, but the other day I bought a stick of 303 stainless from mcmaster and the thing is a fucking parallelogram instead of a square.
>>
>>1665033
If it was hot roll, that's normal for stainless. It's fucking terrible
>>
>>1665036
I'm not entirely sure the vise will hold it good enough. Good thing it's not for a client.
>>
>>1665037
more than that, if the stock wasn't very oversized it might not fit the part in it.

buyer beware on some of that mcmaster 303 stainless bars
>>
>>1665033
Local suppliers, I don't even go to alro anymore because their shipping costs are horrible.

I've made a vendor list and it has worked well for me so far.
>>
Why do they usually use ACME/trapezoid threads in lathes and mills instead of ballscrews? Is it only the cost, or there are other factors?
>>
>>1665535
a ballscrew will need to be locked externally to keep it from moving around on you, an ACME thread screw won't move so easily.

push on the table of a manual machine with a ballscrew and I bet you it will turn the handles with little effort.
>>
File: IMG_20190814_114548.jpg (3.81 MB, 4608x3456)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
I wish I can make simple parts like this every day instead of once in a blue moon. It doesn't pay too well but man was it stress free and a breeze.
>>
>>1665672
yeah I'm short on work too
>>
>>1665672
funny how your like man this was easy, for me that would be penis ripping off frustrating
>>
>>1665726
why would that be?
>>
File: IMG_20180526_203739.jpg (3.21 MB, 4608x3456)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
>>1665723
It's not so much that I'm short on work, rather I keep getting asked to do jobs that no one wants to do and I'd rather go broke doing nothing than spend a month making some ridiculous fixture, sweating bullets on tolerances that have just a thousandth of play, only to be paid less than what the work is truly worth.

Nah man, I have a low tolerance for high tolerance bull shit and baby brained engineers giving me their finger paintings to turn into reality.
>>
>>1665727
cuz im a hobbyist and all my equipment is shit.
>>
File: filleting corner.png (35 KB, 582x615)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
I have a dumb question. regarding solidworks + mastercam

I want to 2d highspeed mill out some pockets and then chamfer the top edges. my model so far doesn't have radius in the corners yet. Most of the corners would take a fillet just fine, but a few of them are too tight for that to properly rebuild.

The 2d highspeed will obviously come out with reasonably appropriate radii and leave whatever material it can't get at, but I can't get the chamfer to match that without a sketch or matching geometry.

I could fillet the problem corners by basically drawing a circle a little larger than the tool and then making it tanget to the edges of the problem corner, but that isn't very efficient. I can use the face fillet option, but that seems to only work on one corner at a time, which isn't very efficient either.

Surely there must be a better way to put a large radius fillet into the corner of a too-small pocket by having it fill in space until it fits? This comes up all the time for me and I'm tired of kludging it.

pic related, I'm trying to get fillets like these, but in more than one corner at a time.
>>
>>1665672
go home this old tony, stop putting your parts on scotchbright too
>>
>>1665808
>stop putting your parts on scotchbright too
Oh snap shots fucking fired
>>
>>1665804
I select the very edge and fillet everything at once. Just play with it more.
>>
File: filleting corners 2.png (84 KB, 645x1718)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>1665854
I can get it to select all the corners no problem, but if even one of the fillets doesn't fit in whatever space it has, then the whole thing fails to preview, and if I tell it to do it anyway, it throws a shitfit and eventually just fucks up it's job. pic related, it gets the easy ones, but any corner that's too narrow gets fucked up one way or another.
>>
File: filleting corners 3.png (69 KB, 847x1695)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>1665858
when I want it to come out like pic related:

(achieved via manually doing it for every irregular corner)
>>
>>1665859
>>1665804
>The 2d highspeed will obviously come out with reasonably appropriate radii and leave whatever material it can't get at, but I can't get the chamfer to match that without a sketch or matching geometry.

unless theres some way to do it with level 3 or playing with the dynamic contour/milling options, i dont think theres a way to do like a rest mill for chamfers. i either do it manually by adding geometry or if its not to drastic a corner(unlike yours) i run the chamfer using the existing geometry with a ballmill so the corner rad material is chamfered but with some beef in the corners, which is why i use the ballmill(among other reasons) because its ususally not a deep cut for any left over rad material. i dont do work for customers though, i do inhouse cnc work so its usually not an issue
>>
>>1665859
in fusion I select the edges I want to fillet then hit "F" and drag it bigger or equal to the endmill
>>
>>1665859
More than likely you're going to have to do it manually
>>
>>1666073
gross. I'd figured solidworks might have some kind of feature for it since it's pretty top of the heap pro software.
>>
>>1666172
"pro software" means doesn't change every year or two and doesn't crash.
>>
phew, 3.5+ hours on a tormach in aluminum for 80% of a radial compressor disk, granted the speeds and feeds are probably too low, but it would work.

anyone interested in an RC jet engine business?
>>
>>1666194
I guess I could put them in a case with some high speed bearings and sell them as /diy/ engine turbos
>>
>>1666172
Honestly, if you design it with the cuts already in it then you don't have to worry about fillets then
>>
>>1666194
Lol, is it a 5 axis part?
>>
>>1666214
a 4th axis will do it just fine, couple setups
>>
>>1666215
3.5 hours though? You'd have to charge a fortune to even break even
>>
>>1666222
a basic bitch turbo assembly is like $800, an RC jet engine is like $1,500.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ14NgPs_Eg
>>
>>1666222
btw what do you imagine the shop rate is for a job shop?
>>
>>1666223
and chances are that turbo fan is just a casting
>>
>>1666230
Depends on amount of setups, overhead, rent, etc.
>>
>>1666172
thats asking a bit much out of a cam software imo, the dynamic toolpaths/rest material/feature based drilling are already pretty fuckign impressive the amount of stuff they have automated already and i dont even have access to the 3d dynamic shit, but pro software is assuming you have pro designers who understand min corner rads, unless that part was designed to be injection molded

>>1666175
good point pos mastercam and solidworks update every year and crash. and unless i can convince the fucking engineers to save to a more universal file format i have to upgrade mastercam when ever they upgrade their solidworks
>>
>>1666275
Solidworks is cad software, I'm just trying to fill in the gaps left by a lazy engineer. I'm allowed to fill in the space, I just wish solidworks could do it in a couple clicks instead of taking a bunch of separate operations to do it.
>>
>>1665859
just do it on the wireframe. maybe I'm just shit at it but trying to do things with solid geometry never works like I want it to.
>>
>>1666323
>I'm just trying to fill in the gaps left by a lazy engineer
There's the real problem.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (139 KB, 777x1600)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>1664924
the nut is fucking caked onto the table by a thousand years of oily greasy machine shop bullshit. It's pinned for location and I can't get the fuckin' thing off so out comes the ballscrew. I think I'm gonna have to go in there with a magnet so I don't lose all the balls and then flip the table over for some hot prybar action

boy I wish I had a crane, harbor freight engine hoist poorfag mode engage
>>
>>1666461
well okay when you're trying to measure the balls that are half a tenth smaller than the other balls to put them back to back in the right order don't say i didn't warn you
>>
>>1666461
where do you live again? southern IL here you can come borrow my crane and surface grinder if you want bb
>>
>>1666467

don't all the balls circulate both with respect to the screw as well as the nut? How could order matter, and if they aren't all about the same size the larger ones will take all the load.

What am I missing here?
>>
>>1666520
some ballnut assemblies have bigger and smaller balls for some reason, if i recall correctly it was something about the balls vibrating or preload or something.

some have an order like:
big, small, big

so you would have to measure the balls and put them back in, in that order. chances are they're the same size but that isn't always the case.
>>
>>1666523

ah. thanks for the info.
>>
>>1666461
shoulda made an eye bolt that goes into a T nut assembly to pick it up that way, then your straps won't slide off 'er
>>
>>1665672
Easy money baby
>>
If you can’t longhand program simple parts/prototype manually then you’re still just a button pusher.
>>
>>1666792
does this count as longhand programming? >>1666194
>>
>>1666802
he means writing down gcodes on a piece of paper then entering them into the machine
>>
File: Untitled.png (263 KB, 596x366)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
>>1666605
that's a pretty nifty idea, thanks fren. I knew my straps were janky but I was just careful not to be under it.
>>1666467
yeah but it had to be done. If it's a hopeless fuckup I can order more balls from mcmaster. I'm pretty sure I can sort them with my 0-1 mic.
>>1666513
northeast ohio bby
>>1666792
grampa all the real niggas have conversational controllers for simple stuff now. At my day job all the silly one-two-off stuff gets made in a cell with a centroid knee mill and a romi lathe all conversational. the guys who run them are legit tool and die fellas and they're polish and huge and would fuck you up with a wrench if you called them button pushers
>>
>>1666857
Yo rb1 fag, lemme know how those clear path servos work. I'm interested in them, but I'm skeptical because:
1. I've used some of the things john saunders has shilled before
2. They're kinda pricey
>>
>>1667241
of all the things you're skeptical about fucking clearpath servos?

full retard
>>
I just ordered a 3040T for $426. I've never done any CNC before is this good enough to learn on? Should I change anything on it?
>>
>>1667254
aluminum frame
>>
>>1667248
Ive never used them and never seen them used by Anyone else but nycnc. How is that retarded?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URamK5_wnM
>>
So I need to move some machinery but I have no proper lifting equipment in my shop. I am also cheap, so I decided to improvise. With the proper cord, amsteel blue 3mm it should have a SWL of 1000lb- but to be fair no insurance company would accept the liability as according to the FEA I ran, the factor of safety at 1000lb on the block weldment is only ~3.4. Plus my welds are dogshit.

I’ll let yall know if I crush my leg with this thing next week.
>>
>>1668001
The last thing I need for it are some 1mm spacers for between each pulley. Initially I planned on using some .5” steel stock I have to make the oddball washers- but I ran into an issue while testing today. The cord slips from the pulleys and falls into the gaps sometimes. With the 1mm spacers, it wouldnt fall all the way to the axles, but it could get caught on the gap and rub/break under load.

Would I be better off with spacers that look more like fender washers- so that they act as guides for the cordage? This would cause friction between the moving surfaces of the bearings/pulleys but I wouldn’t imagine very much.
>>
>>1668001
I picked up an old screw geared chain fall at a yard sale for $40. It is a captive chain type. Super useful and I never have to worry about it slipping.
>>
File: 20171106_212821.jpg (2.64 MB, 4128x2322)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>1668001
I move my stuff around with big-ass pry bars, steel rollers, and lots of sweat. No danger of killing myself.
>>1667254
Yes you can learn cnc on those. I have a 6040, it's ok for what it is. I use it to engrave aluminum. It'll mill wood or plastic but even milling aluminum is a stretch and you can forget about steel. I made pic related on it. Tighten all bolts down when it arrives. Consider replacing the shitty warped aluminium extrusion bed with a solid aluminum tooling plate drilled and tapped for workholding. I have mine bolted into an old steel surface plate for extra rigidity. It's really not a bad learning platform but if I had a do-over I would skip the chinaware and get a taig micro mill with gecko steppers instead.
>>
File: 20190819_001115.jpg (2.75 MB, 4032x1960)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>1667241
Yep im also leery of the stuff Saunders shills. Not a tormach fan at all. I respect the hustle, man's gotta eat, but I'm skeptical. I went with clearpath because I can run them off of 75v dc and skip the 3 phase, and they're specifically supported with the centroid acorn controller that I'm using. I'll post results for sure.

I'm gonna have to pull the screw out of the y axis ball nut too, I think. Once again no access to the nut and the bearing blocks are pinned and stuck on with 1000 years of machine shop funk. Any kind of prying is gonna bend the fuck out of the ballscrew.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (101 KB, 1280x720)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
To all you young bucks who think this might be a cool profession, think hard. Watching chips fly all day is much less entertaining than watching videos of it. Production work is soul crushingly boring (load a billet, change the tips, press the green button), and jobbing is demanding and underpaid (no margin for fuckups when you're making one part). Either way, you'll be exposed to a constant mist of greasy coolant on the good days, and carcinogenic dust and hot chips on the bad ones. You'll also have near constant small cuts on your hands because everything is sharp and you can't wear gloves.

It's a different story if you've found a niche, and have a bit of coin to buy some machines, but most young guys looking at this kind of work aren't in that position. I sure wasn't. I'm an ex jobbing machinist, mostly one offs and prototypes, simultaneous 5 axis work. Don't get me wrong, the work can be incredibly satisfying, and certainly challenging, and I still miss it at times. Plenty I don't though.
>>
>>1668119
I heard this from the older guys at work who eventually moved out of machining. Eventually you get too good, nothing is a challenge as you've already been through all the tool and material combinations. Everything is another line, another slot, another hole and it just gets incredibly boring. There is more money to be made and more interesting work elsewhere
>>
>>1668119
Most of the fun is designing a product and then trying to sell it.
>>
>>1668163
I disagree the fun is blowing money on strippers and jager.
>>
>>1668368
Strippers never put out and jager taste like ass. I prefer hookers and moonshine.

Also, there is nothing funner than turning hardened material and throwing red hot chips everywhere.
>>
>>1668119
Sounds easy as fuck for $50k
>>1668416
I thought most strippers were hookers?
Moonshine makes you go blind.
>>
>>1668429
>I thought most strippers were hookers?
No, sadly. Most are just in it for the money, no sex.
>Moonshine makes you go blind.
Nah, dunno who told you that but if you throw away the heads and tails then you get the majority of the methanol out
>>
>>1668429
>Moonshine makes you go blind.
Only if you drink too little.
>>
>>1668131
I felt a bit of that, but I hesitate to say it's because I got 'too good'. Every single fuckup still humbled the hell out of me. You make less of them over time, but even the best machinist I knew still had the odd shocker.

>>1668163
You're right, but doing jobbing work is almost necessary to sustain a small shop, unless you really hit the jackpot with a product.

>>1668429
Production machining for $50k? Future robot work, but if you can stand the boredom and the environment, get in while it lasts.
>>
is bobcad shit? I have an interview with a place that uses it but all I've heard about it is people complaining about it.
>>
>>1668658
Yes, bobcad is poverty tier cad. Fucking awful and the UI is like an old Microsoft product. I would almost say you should just use fusion and send them drawings and parts like that because it's so awful.

The cam is decent for small stuff but above 3 axis and forget it.
>>
>>1668610
>doing jobbing work is almost necessary to sustain a small shop
Yeah, you're right. If you don't have a full time job to help then job shopping it is.
>>
I bought a boring head like this with an MT3 arbor. I wanted to make a straight arbor for it also to hold it in a chuck, but I ran into issues with the thread.
It's shallow, fine thread, major diameter is around 37.8mm, it fits Whitworth gauge 18's pitch. Problem is that I can't find shit on what Whitworth gauge 18 is, I don't know the TPI. I tried cutting 18TPI thread since that seemed logical, but apparently not, it comes out as gauge 19. In metric it's supposed to be around 1.20mm pitch, but I can't cut that on my lathe, so what TPI is it?
>>
Can you use regular milk instead of the machinist milk to cool the end mill?
>>
>>1668079
WD 40
>>
File: fuck that shit.jpg (110 KB, 497x640)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
speaking of job shopping, just accepted another job. Some cake work Polypropylene plastic.

Can't wait to see how I fuck this up.
>>
>>1668819
No, it's far too perishable. Add some booze to it or something first. (egg nog?)
>>
>>1668819
No, it'll expire. Machinist milk is also bad because you need to milk a bunch of machinists to get barely enough to last a shift. It's also really sticky and gooey.

I recommend regular coolant and water
>>
>>1668807
how old is it?

why would it be whitworth?
>>
>>1668855
It's brand new and chink. It's probably not whitworth, but it matches up perfectly with whitworth G18 in pitch and doesn't match metric threads, and I don't have an imperial thread gauge on hand.
I thought it'd be easy to figure out the imperial pitch from the whitworth, but apparently not, so many tables out there and all of them confusing.
>>
>>1668876
spread your calipers out one inch or half an inch whatever then count the tops between the span
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMcTFslVTgA

new ToT
>>
>>1668878
It's a very short thread, less than 10mm, I can't accurately calculate it like that. That said, I'll just try the thread pitches my lathe can cut and see if any match up, probably going to be either 16 or 14 or something I can't cut.
>>
>>1668908
there's an idea, cut you a thread gauge in imperial.

it's probably 18 TPI or so, I made a boring head arbor the other day
>>
>>1668908
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01221043
>>
>>1668077
any recommendations on sourcing the plate? I found https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/castaluminumplateatp5
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUPKkaWlVg

gotteswinter got himself another router
>>
Am I stupid for listening to NYC CNC's business podcast?
Are there any other podcast out there that discuss owning a machine shop/ machining in general?
>>
>>1669036
I wouldn't say it's stupid, there's the usual business stuff in there they aggregate from various sources (books, etc.)
>>
>hey zooomer, do you know how to use a lathe
>yeah sure thing, boomer
>just remember to never leave the key in the chuck if you like having teeth
>yeah yeah I know boomer
>15 minutes pass, working on something else
>KUH-THWAKK from the direction of the lathe
>what the fuck was that
>oh I accidentally turned on the lathe with the key in the chuck
sigh
>>
>>1669094
he probably left a box of inserts or something more valuable sitting on the chuck before starting it if he admitted it so readily
>>
>>1669096
He didn't even seem to think it was that big of a deal and I found the indention on the stand where the key hit. Or at least he didn't think it was that big a deal until I gave him the chewing-out of a lifetime. Anyways everyone will be using those spring-loaded chuck keys for retards from now on.
>>
>>1669109
That's a pretty normal reaction to a calamity these days. They have never really had the fear of god put into them with a good whipping and the consequences at the soul-crushing institutions that raised them never mattered to them one fucking bit.

They're like shell shocked weirdos raised by the most disgusting anti-American anti-human influences around. Hollywood and the government. They should mature eventually, of course.
>>
>>1669113
>They should mature eventually.
You're more optimistic than I am. Unless by mature you mean natural selection.
>>
>>1669116
They can't live with their parents forever, simple mortality will shape them up eventually if no other forces do.
>>
>>1669094
>implying it's just the zoomers
When I was getting my degree, I did a semester of work study. Some 30-40 year old put an endmill in one of our chucks. Told him twice to turn the mill off and change it before I had to just reach up and do it myself and then he wanted to get pissy about being a dangerous fuckhead.
>>
>>1669140
wait what happened? end mill in a chuck? oh a drill chuck?
>>
any of you own one of those cheap chinky around 50w co2 laser cutters? was it worth it?
>>
File: job.jpg (264 KB, 1046x1196)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/x2SoT3Wu7pI

Machinist reporting
>>
>>1669154
Yes
>>
>>1669324
Is dat a okuma behind him?
>>
>tfw tool order from DBC for some bad-ass helical relieved shank end mills won't be here until Friday

I mcmaster'd a square end 4" overall length carbide endmill but still, if you want to be a small shop supplier you need to ship shit like mcmaster or at least amazon.

So, where do you guys buy your end mills?
>>
>>1668876
whitworth threads are 55 degrees.
>>
>>1669324
is that you ryan?
>>
Reminder that if youve ever said "ugh this is so boring!!!" while boring out parts to get a forced laugh from colleagues then you deserve to be executed
>>
http://www.helicaltool.com/prod/3-Flute-for-Aluminum---45-/3-Flute-for-Aluminum/Aluminum---Non-Ferrous-Materials/Browse-by-Tool-Type/High-Performance-End-Mills_345/3-Flute--Square---45--Helix--Reduced-Neck_344.aspx_Q_keywords_E_19235

new tool, long reach relieved shank 3/8 carbide 3fl
>>
also hell has frozen over, Tormach released their BT30 mills with rigid tapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GFuf5PJ6f4
>>
>>1669657
>15k for machine+stand+enclosure+rigid tapping+300ipm rapids+2hp 10k spindle

>tool changer is another 5k

Looks like it's now a legit competitor to used milling machines. A new machine, basically a haas mini mill for half the price, but 30 taper and lightweight.

Interesting.
>>
File: fml.jpg (144 KB, 777x1600)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
finally got the saddle off. I did have to back the screw out of the ballnut. The bearing blocks were so fucking stuck that I had to get the 6 foot prybar I use to move machines and lever them up with that. The front block had one side break loose first so both pins are bent, another thing I've fucked up and have to fix later. I wish I knew what I was doing, oh well it's cheaper than school. Not looking forward to stripping this for repaint, everything's a greasy mess. That void in the base is the coolant tank, it's about half full of seriously rank oil.
I also have no idea how I'm going to get the column off the base. It's pinned for location, and all the bolts are rusted and seized and packed in with 30 years of garbage. I don't have a crane or anything and the engine hoist won't reach to eyebolts on the lifting points. Considering leaving that assembled and just painting that part as is. It would be super fucking nice to have that column off during the x and y axis re installation though.
>>
>>1669671
It certainly is interesting, but until I see some more testing or quality control documents I think I'll stay on the fence.
>>
>>1669720
>tfw recently refurbed a giant horizontal mill/borer, a lathe and will soon be refurbing a massive (and I mean massive) surface grinder
Machine tool maintenance and refurbishment sucks dick
>>
>>1669671
doesn't a haas mini mill have like 10x as much hp?
>>
>>1669825
Like 3.5 times
Tormach 1100mx is 2hp
Haas mini mill is 7.5hp
>>
>>1669671
>Basically a minimill
Lol no. Good luck tapping anything over 5/16.
>>
>>1669729
I love doing it and will probably do it fulltime when i retire. Watching a basically new machine appear from a mountain of grime, dirt and scrap is just great. Also the more machines you buy and refurbish the more repairs for broken parts of even more machines you can manage yourself.
>>
>>1669842
damn, they must have upgraded that shit. Could swear Pierson's mini mill is only 3hp.
>>
machining plastic rules. Especially the plastics that don't absorb coolant or oil.
>>
>>1669825
>>1669842
and half the spindle speed
>>
so many burrs that look shitty 3d profiling polypropylene with a square end mill, 60 thou corner radius worked wonders though. You can get away with a square endmill in aluminum.
>>
>>1669953
delrin is toptier
lexan is toptier for fun
garolite/g10/g7 honorable mention for good looks but marks deducted for causing mesothelioma
uhmw pe is bad and you should feel bad for choosing it
>>
>>1670129
what about polypropylene (PP) ?
>>
File: 6513.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1670129
>polycarb with dull 3 flute endmills because the owner is cheap
>>
>>1669720
the pins aren't threaded in the center with a set-screw in them are they?

those you can remove by screwing in the set-screw. Blind pins?
>>
how do I remove chips stuck to my magnetic tray?
>>
>>1664483
How do you call wooden decks that people pu in front of a lathe or a mill?
>>
How do I deal with nasty shit from milling fiber glass pcbs at my small home mill? I don't want my room and lungs full of sharp glass dust
>>
>>1670238
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

Don't mill PCB's at home
>>
>>1670238
>>1670242
Silicosis is a permanent disease with no cure.[

Treatment options currently available focus on alleviating the symptoms and preventing any further progress of the condition. These include:
>>
>>1670243
>>1670242
How is that a problem? Once your lungs fill up just have a lung transplant
>>
Would this be strong enough to very slowly mill aluminum? I am taking super slow with smol end mills
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32341418790.html
>>
>>1670238
>>1670242
>>1670243
Dust collector for any ceramics and composites.
>>
>>1670249
Actually you are right, I haven't thought about that.
>>
>>1666857
Don’t be a faggot, you know that’s not what I meant. Obviously mold makers and convo programmers aren’t just button pushers.
>>
>>1670258
Yes
>>
>>1670226
step stools? I have one, it's pretty damn handy.
>>
>>1670213
paper towel or rag

Also, it's surely a coincidence that the little plastic parts I'm machining have a feature that looks like middle fingers sticking up, right?
>>
>>1664636
Could get an annular cutter.
>>
>>1670426
yeah for $300+
>>
>>1670191
just paid $175 for an iscar 1/2 reduced neck long reach endmill, tools ain't cheap

the grind on it is almost mirror in parts, they boast cylindrical grinding of the cutting edges so it's a proper edge not interpolated with 2 or 3 flat grinds.
>>
>>1670505
We don't need carbide, we keep asking for just a set of HSS endmills to use for plastic
>>
>>1670584
Hadn't even occurred to me to use HSS, carbide stays sharp longer anyway.

I do have a decent war chest of HSS "just in case" but I haven't had to use them yet, maybe it's just me but Xometry jobs are generally paid well enough to cover the tooling, even if you fuck up shipping and need to order twice to get the tool in quicker.
>>
>>1670613
Unless you're cutting glass reinforced plastics, they don't tend to dull tools. Also HSS is sharper than carbide. Or at least has they potential to be.
>>
>>1670616
nope.

also this iscar tool is razor fucking sharp to fingers
>>
>>1670620
damn, i grab tools by the edge all the time, my coated carbide tools aren't razor sharp. this one is.
>>
>>1670621
Not him, but some of the inserts we have are so sharp that we are required to use kevlar gloves to change them out
>>
fuck me why does material have to stress deform and shit?

fuck plastic
>>
>>1670736
^ answer to my question: >>1668823
>>
Any of you fellers use them cheap desktop chink cncs?
I wonder if you can engrave and mill soft metals like brass, aluminium or gold with them?
I mean all of them can mill wood, but nobody gets a cnc to mill fucking wood.
They have some really nice looking ones for under $500
>>
The dimension on this part most likely isn't critical, and the only time I can get a response is on monday (ship day) because lol xom work week.

It's a plastic thing used in the chemical industry as a temporary fitting. The important dimensions are well within spec, should I even ask them about the slightly off dimension? I expect they will accept the parts.
>>
File: aoskjfaw.png (3.1 MB, 1873x1995)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB PNG
>>1670781
>nobody gets a cnc to mill fucking wood.

Uh...
>>
>>1670803
Let me rephrase that, only cuck sois get cncs to mill wood for they gay ass furniture projects
True men make parts for machines and 99% of machines are made from metal
>>
>>1670390
>step stools
Thin large pallets made of wood, basically like a huge mat but made of wood
>>
Okay guys, I have a bit of a problem. I have 150 amps 240v 1p from a breaker box going into a 40hp phase converter to make it 240v 3p that goes directly into my cnc lathe with a 20hp spindle motor.

My motor runs, but when It spools up quickly up to over 1000rpm the phase converter makes a horrible grinding noise and on the machine I get a inverter alarm.

The last time I asked I got a decent amount of guys telling me it was probably the converter. I agree, but my business partner thinks it's the issue of not have a transformer. I have no idea why I would need a transformer if I only need 240v. Can anyone with any electrical experience tell me otherwise?

The phase converter is an anderson from like 1994, so I'm thinking it's that.
>>
>>1670139
pp smells good but id rather not machine it
>>
File: dat_triple_phase.jpg (67 KB, 800x713)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1670848
dat tripple (phase)
>>
>>1670811
yeah I have one of those, don't know what else to call it
>>
>>1670811
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2792/Ladders/Polyethylene-Step-Stool-2-Steps?pricode=WA9465&gadtype=pla&id=H-2792&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6qTWk5mc5AIVBp6fCh3aTgFEEAQYASABEgInsfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

??
>>
ticn coating seems to work well in plastic at least

>highest lubricity coating
>still extra hardness, used in stamping and forming of brass, plastic, as well as steel
>>
>>1671020
I've had the best luck using YG Alu-Power in plastic. They're so incredibly sharp and with flutes so polished that they really do wonders in all sorts of plastics.

They're amazing in aluminum too obviously, but they're my first go-to for mostly plastics.
>>
>>1671022
any thoughts on my predicament here: >>1670798

it's a plastic funnel with a "finger" that has some graduations, the bore features surely lock it somehow (press fit?), if the finger was intended to help hold it in place it will still do that because it's in tolerance 2/3 of the way.

Am I just being a millennial retard or what? Can't get more material until Tuesday either.
>>
>>1671024
I should probably add the only tolerances are the standard tolerances for the material, no print was provided with the part. So it's either over-constrained or they used the standard as a catch-all for that specific feature. I have no way of knowing for sure.
>>
>>1671025
>no print was provided with the part
Contact the customer and if they don't reply, make it however you want. There's no print, its not your problem.
>>
I want to order a chink cnc and they have a version with or without offline.
What the fuck is "offline" ?
>>
>>1671028
okay thanks
>>
>>1671053
is that referring to wifi? or perhaps loading programs from a USB stick instead of ethernet?

>>1670848
hmm... well either the phase converter start capacitors aren't up to snuff or your input power isn't good enough? Is the wiring going to it thick enough?
>>
>>1671057
>>1670848

forget the start capacitors comment, although... they handle the surge of adding the load of the cnc motor initially, perhaps it has something to do with it.

can you sell the phase converter on ebay and talk to american rotary instead?
>>
Hello guys newbie here, when working in a machine shop and you have to do lots of identical pieces I was told you should first make a sort of sheet help shows you in what order to use the various tasks (such as use a lathe to make this part, fill here etc) essentially an ordered list of elementary operations you need to do in order to manufacture you piece(I thinks it's called gantz table) I was wondering if any of you produce pieces en masse and could help me with a book/resource/pdf which I can use to learn about it.
>>
>>1671484
Like a setup sheet? Like it shows the operator how to setup the workholding, toolholding, and the arrangement of datums?
I do that every other day so we have a record of how to setup for the same job, in case we have it again in a few months.
>>
I want to mill off solder mask from PCBs (basically a spray paint)
And i would like some end mill recomendation.
I saw people using some end mills that were on a spring, what is that called? I just need the spring strong enough for the motor to basically drag the endmill around the board carving off the paint.
>>
>>1671643
diamond drag engraver?
>>
File: gethead.jpg (167 KB, 900x1600)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>1670348
>don't be a faggot
it's in the name, says so right on the tin

>>1670196
yep blind pins

>>1669729
it's kind of a shitty process tearing this all down but desu I don't really mind. I'm learning and getting better, when it's done I'll have a badass machine and having rebuilt it I can fix things when they break.

finally got some shop time, tearing apart the head. Takes forever to get all the crap un pinned and un snap ringed and un keyed etc etc. My hands are fucking supple smooth from being greased all day though. A lot of this stuff won't be going back into the head when reassembled, the VFD is going to handle RPM changes and spindle braking and such. I'm removing the spindle speed dial, gotta think of something interesting to replace it with.
>>
Wow youtube targeted advertising is so smart nowadays
>search for cheap chinese cncs under $500
>youtube starts showing me adds for industrial $100k+ cncs
money well spent advertisers.. money well spent
>>
>>1671899
>buy something
>bombarded with adverts for the exact thing or something similar
i already bought it though i don't need two.
>>
pretty cool
dyi tool changer
i want to make something like that as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IGAYd8OnOE&list=PLYPTUTcLMTK7m0cOoOKlDnuhGV8ONrgo_&index=13
>>
>>1671831
>go to remove the bolts holding the head on
>12mm too small
>1/2 too small
>measure it
>35/64
What the fuck am I wrenching
>>
>>1671899
>>1671937
The other day it was showing me ads for Toyoda machines, now the ads are for Toyota stuff.

lol
>>
>>1672162
something they wanted you to buy a custom wrench for? or just loose tolerances?
>>
>>1672180
>>1672162

It's 1 percent below 14 mm.
>>
>>1672207
>It's 1 percent below 14 mm.

and that does not match any normal metric nut. I think that guy needs a new caliper.
>>
File: cnc3018pro.jpg (221 KB, 1330x862)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Hi guys, first time poster here. New cnc 3018 pro faggot user and currently happy with it.
Have this issue: when bed move far bottom border it start to dissasembly copper piece as shown in pic and while moving soon it can't move anymore. That piece seems to be screwed somewhere, but I can't figure out how or where, other pieces doesn't have holes where to screw in. Neither user manual show how to get them fixed (if it should).
Any hint? specs here: https://afel.cl/producto/kit-cnc-3018-pro-con-laser-2500mw-accesorios
>>
>>1672215
well from the broken english it sounds like it's a backlash adjustment, so it pulls the opposite end of the threads/ballscrew toward it's self so when the screw isn't moving the nut won't shift back and forth.

You should adjust it such that it is barely tight, just enough for the motors to work and not wear out the screw/ballscrew too quickly.
>>
>>1672215
watch the assembly video on the website you posted, shows how to do it you need to compress the spring before you thread the screw into it
>>
>>1672254
>broken english
really sorry

>barely tight
>>1672286
>compress the spring
Yep, have yo disassemble that piece to ut it inside again
>>
What coolant do you guys swear by?
>>
>>1672461
i'm literally using the cheapest shit ever with a water filter from amazon plumbed in

oakflo dss 700, it probably sucks.

Go with the Blaser stuff the pros use these days.
>>
>>1672462
>>1672461
the difference between good fresh coolant with the dss 700 and old shitty coolant is pretty big, btw.

smoother quieter cut, better finish.
>>
>>1672466
What should i do for cooling if i have a small chink machine that has electronics under it so i cannot use the usual ejaculate, or any other fluids for that matter?
>>
>>1672483
compressor air or air mister system like noga minicool or fog buster.

the fog buster is better, and a coolant fog floating around will fuck your shit up.
>>
I asked this on /qtddtot/, but I figured here may be a better place.

What's the best non-digital caliper I can get for $40-50? I want a Mitutoyo, but can't swing the cash for one right now.
>>
>>1672788
Save up for the mitty, it's totally worth it
>>
>>1672788
https://dbcindustrial.com/shop/item/FOWLER-52-008-704-0/0-4-WHITE-SWISS-STYLE-Shockproof-DIAL-CALIPER-001-Grad
>>
File: IMG_4527.jpg (871 KB, 1193x1993)
871 KB
871 KB JPG
Hi guys I need some input. I am turning a fairly small steel part and I have now fucked up 3 in a row. For scale, the OD is ~.3" and the length is about 3". The bore is drilled at 3/16" for all but the last 1/8" of length on the threaded end, which has a smaller 3/32" hole completing the inner profile. The thread is ~.3" long and is a 1/4-28 thread.

Okay, anyways on my first attempt, using 4140 I successfully manufactured the part (although a version with longer thread compared to the shank). However, when I threaded it onto a mandrel and attempted to buff the OD on the lathe, the thread tore out at the thread relief. (left)

On take two, (middle) I first completed the drilling and turned the ODs. When I attempted to run a die to create the thread, it buckled/tore. On take three (right) I first turned down the ODs, tapped the end, and drilled the smaller hole on the threaded end. I then flipped it around, and drilled the 3/16" hole, and it once again tore out at the thread relief. FUCK.

Theoretically it should be doable, but I think its failing because of two factors. First, my machine is beat, and can't really drill perfectly along the axis of rotation. It may be out by a few thou by the depth of the thread. Second, the material may be too thin, such that it can't handle the torque exerted by the 3/16" drill.

What the fuck do I do? I can't drop the ID because it must remain compatible with another component, and I don't know of any other thread that could fit given the OD. I could possibly increase the OD, but for purely aesthetic reasons I am trying not to. This is a component for a golf-size mechanical pencil I am making based on the BIC design. I have the bushing, lead holder, and inner rod complete I just need to finish this outer tube and the tip.
>>
>>1672835
thread relief is bullshit, just draw thread it

retract the cross-slide back toward you just before the end of the thread then disengage the half-nut, it will leave a sort of tapered thread looking area at the end of the threaded section, it's a normal technique and it works because you're retracting the cross-slide back beyond the OD of the part quickly enough to avoid running into any shoulders or OD, it should be doable at a reasonable speed like any other single point threading style.
>>
File: 1564971226118.jpg (7 KB, 226x226)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Hey anons,
I just started school for machining and I have a favor to ask.
Give it to me straight, is going through school and turning this skill into a career really worth the effort? What was your experience like? And does the saying "you can go a lot of places with this skillset" really hold any weight?
>>
>>1672855
I should be clear, I am using dies not single point threading. I CAN, but I was trying to avoid switching my change gears because I'm a lazy fuck. I'll give SPT a try tomorrow. On the plus side, I have a near unlimited supply of this steel lol.
>>
>>1672835
You know the thread could be as fine as you want it to be, but you would have to single point the ID too or make a tap.
>>
>>1672861
Yeah I don't see any way with my abilities I would be able to SP the ID, that is why I'm stuck with a standard size. I have virtually all UNF/UNC/metric taps/dies
>>
>>1672835
you know if you make a 3d model in fusion 360 you can do a section analysis and see just how thick the wall is in places, and modify the drawing etc.
>>
>>1672835
>>
>>1672867
Yeah I know how close it is. I really want to avoid modifying the cross section if possible, but if not I will need to I suppose. Otherwise, any ideas for how I can reduce the torque during the drilling phase? What order of operations do you think would be most likely to succeed?
>>
>>1672867
>>1672868

minimum distance from root of thread to bore ID is 10 thou, ain't no way you ain't gonna break that shit anon

stepping to a 1/4-40 UNS you get 16 thou wall thickness

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/04840401

at 1/4-56 you get 20 thou wall thickness, like paper thin
>>
>>1672868
so what if you make sure you use a threading tool with a flat on the point?
>>
>>1672857
I'm probably a minority, but I was legit hired across the country after a 15 minute phone interview and a 10 hour in person one after college. There was some mild nepotism involved but it was like my friend's brother in law's friend's father in law so nothing super direct. I had no serious work experience prior but I'm making about 45k a year after a couple years and I'm underpaid for my area/talents. It's not rolling in dough money, but it's a decent living for mid 20's.
>>
>>1672876
*1 hour
>>
>>1672872
>20 thou wall thickness, like paper thin
Paper is .002-.004"
>>
>>1672872
>>1672873
panzerror gewhinde time?

electrical conduit thread, which is for like thin steel tubing, it probably is intended to mostly deform the tubing rather than cut it, though.

some other thread forms worth looking into
>>
>>1672878
yeah but he's trying to machine something with that thickness, it may as well be paper.
>>
>>1672867
What if drill with a smaller size bit initially and increase the diameter by 1/64" until I reach 3/16?

I suppose I could also decrease the OD of the inner push rod but I don't have much to play with there either as the OD is 3/16 and the ID is 1/8.
>>
>>1672913
paper thin wall, donnow man.
>>
>>1672915
For fucks sake they make these things out of plastic steel should be strong enough if I can just figure out a way to manufacture it
>>
>>1672916
then maybe not try using a threading die
>>
File: machine-shop-r.jpg (481 KB, 1600x1211)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>1671011
Something like on the pic
>>
>>1672926
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6k8N3vRXT4
>>
>>1672927
>>1672926
Osha nightmare, seriously they would have an aneurysm about anything on the floor for potential trip hazards
>>
>>1672802
Yeah, it is definitely on the list, just not within reason at the moment.

>>1672809
Looks good,. but I don't recognize the brand. Is it reputable?
>>
>>1672956
they used to be a british brand or swiss or something, they're probably made in china and assembled/inspected wherever in europe now.
>>
>>1672956
They're shop grade. It'll be good to .001-.002" at least but don't expect to accurately split thous with them.
>>
reduced neck tools are the true master race of tools right?

long flute lengths? pshaw, just a good way to fuck up the finish on your long reach application.
>>
>>1672913
any wall thickness you can add will help a lot, number and letter drills are your friend.
>>
What do you use to control your cnc?
For my 3d printer i use marlin, but now i ordered a cnc, it seems that GRBL is the best choice
Do you use things like bed levling where you attach a wire to your endmill and it pokes work piece to find out how high it is and stuff?
>>
>>1673039

Given the nature of your questions, I'm assuming it's one of those cheap, tiny, Chinese CNC routers?

Personally, I see little to no reason to use anything but LinuxCNC. Bit of a learning curve (although you can skip most of it if you do everything through a CAM suite and just use it as a basic controller), but very configurable and powerful. And free.

Bed leveling isn't a thing with most machine tools. 3D printers do it because, bluntly, they're (mechanically) pieces of shit built to a price point. Although you may be talking about a touch probe, which works similarly. Plenty of ways to find an edge or otherwise locate a featuer, depending on what you've got available and what kind of accuracy you need. Piece of paper as a feeler gauge, mechanical/electronic edge finder, wigglers, manually moving the tool while incrementing it slowly toward the workpiece, etc.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (66 KB, 1280x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1673059
>LinuxCNC
Any idea if you can run on on raspberry pi and manage it through a web interface?

Also bed leveling surely is a thing.
Even if you bed is perfectly level if you mill something like a PCB which can be warped all around slightly, or a piece of metal that isn't perfectly flat on top, the endmill needs to touch it with a probe to know how far exactly it is from it
>>
>>1673059
>Bed leveling isn't a thing with most machine tools
I can assure you that making a mill or lathe level is very important to getting any real accuracy out of them.
>>
If i have a collet like this, er11 and want to use spring mills with it (where they can be pushed in and out on a spring by like 5mm) do i need a completely different collet or like some special addition for this one?
all i can find on ali are just regular er11 collets
>>
>>1673259
eh if the "sping mill" is a special cylindrical thing with the spring and rotation stop built in, you should be able to hold it in a collet. don't see why not.

Also, is a surface finish of 32ra reasonable in 6063 aluminum with a boring head in a mill? It would be comparable to the finish a reamer leaves, if not a little bit worse.
>>
>small batch of 6061 aluminum "rods" 0.100" diameter w/ 0.070" hole through them, black anodized for $185

shit, I should look into building an anodizing setup one of these days
>>
>>1673333
Yes, boring should give good finish in general. Just make sure it doesn't drag chips.
>>
>>1673379
anyone know of a good insert grooving tool for the mill? small shank, cheap inserts, ability to install thread milling inserts.
>>
>>1673368
Trust me just use a anodizer, if it's for other's then just spend the money. If it's for you then go ahead and look into it.
>>
>>1673420
anodizing would cost at least $100, min batch charge
>>
>>1673521
Still worth it for job shop work
>>
>>1673536
eh I met a guy that does almost nothing but anodizing and another surface treatment for CAT and other local industries, he does work for xometry too.
>>
If your endmill gets stuck and the motor stalls, is that bad for the motor?
>>
>>1673584
If you mean stalls and then stays powered, yes, it will burn up. If it's stalling and then quickly depowering, probably not, maybe a mild degree of mechanical damage from stress.
>>
>>1673563
How big is his setup? Because if it's just a few 5 gal buckets then that's a lot of potential liability with customers.
>>
>>1673410
We use Horn mills at our shop for such things.
>>
What is the best app for designing cnc models?
>>
>>1673584
yes, could burn out the motor or melt the belts. if you have a load meter and it goes beyond 75% then you're risking damage.

>>1673794
app? like for phones?
>>
>>1673804
No for windows, i mean the thing that makes the paths for the tools to move around, i think it's called cam
>>
>>1673806
>free
fusion360
>costs money
esprit
>>
>>1673807
>free
until it isn't, and you can't do anything about it because muh cloud
>>
>>1673811
yeah...that's why my company nor I use fusion. SW is better and it isn't reliant on cloud bullshit.
if the internet goes out? SW doesn't care
>>
>>1673812
Have you tried fusion 360?
How different is the workflow in int compared to SW?
I am pirating SW right now to try it out, and i hate cloud shit, but i don't want to use SW if fusion turns out to be like five times easier to use
and it seems to be all the rage lately
>>
>>1673816
I like Solidworks much more than fusion honestly. I hate trying to add text, 4th axis wrapped geometry, etc.

then again ive been using SW since 2012 and I can't really seem to get away from it. Some things like assemblies Fusion might do a bit easier, but I manage well enough.
>>
>>1673817
How do you handle something like say you model some big case for something and then want to model a completely separate smaller part that fits inside?
in fusion this is easy with the multipart design
>>
>>1673820
pretty much the same thing in SW.
>Make big case
>make small part
>import both into the assembly
>edit small part in assembly so it fits big case
>>
>>1673703
He does nothing but anodizing...
>>
>>1673812
Fusion 360 still works without internet, it will get pissy if you don't connect at regular intervals though...

You have to manually export offline versions of your files at the moment though, cloud storage so they're available on all your devices is the default storage method.

Their security is apparently quite real too.
>>
>>1673848
Fusion is great, until your stuff starts magically disappearing. months down the drain because nobody bothered to back up their files onto desktop.

This is how a billion dollar company switched to Catia overnight. Still mad about Catia though
>>
File: Emp_1.jpg (169 KB, 1419x787)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
Hey /EMT/, I'm an ME student and I want to get a part time internship at a local machine shop. I know machining isn't directly related to my degree, but I think that becoming a bit more related to the machining process and learning that aspect of fabrication would be extremely beneficial to my career goals. I have an interest in machining, and some CAD experience, but nothing else that I feel like would benefit me getting an internship. I have a job between classes that covers the bills, so I am happy to work for free (until I become useful) if that is necessary. Do you guys have any suggestions about how I should go about applying for an internship? Things to say, what to include in a cover letter, what to wear, etc.

Also, they have an online application upload. Do you think they'd be annoyed if I were to call and schedule an appointment to talk with someone about getting an internship? I don't want to be that weird guy that just walks in the front door and drops off a resume and application, but I feel like just uploading a resume and application would be lackluster. Calling seems classier(?), and I feel like I would leave more of an impression, but I have only ever worked retail/customer service, so I don't know if places like machine shops get calls like that all the time. I just want to stand out and seem professional. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

(Pic related, first part of the "Employment" page on their site.)
>>
File: Emp_2.jpg (104 KB, 1420x729)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>1673923
(Second part)
>>
>>1673923
Im an ME too, just graduated in May. With these proud-to-be-blue-collar types, you want to go in person to hand in an application. Start by asking to speak to whoever is in charge, when the dirty looking 6' man walks out shake his hand firmly and introduce yourself. Explain that you are a 'mechanical engineering student and I want to get my hands dirty and learn how to properly operate machinery'. Then mention the local sportsball team. I spent my whole senior year working in a local shop after I went around to all the job shops asking to buy drops so I could 'teach myself to run a lathe'. Boomers love the 'I am trying to better myself and even though I am earning a college degree I don't mind rolling up my cuffs'

Good luck
>>
mazak spindle problem, odd problem changing speed, might interest guy on here with a lathe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkjrF-cp30
>>
You boys ready for the all the contracts floating up our way during the hurricane?
>>
>>1673935
That's what I was thinking. I've had a run in with a couple of the guys there, and they are the Boomer types that seem to respect work. Not terribly dirty, though. I appreciate the insight.
>>
>>1673978
In my experience a quick deepthroat can open any door
>>
>>1673848
>Fusion 360 still works without internet,
No it doesn't.
there is a HUGE difference between "works offline" and "offline gimmick"
If you cannot install and use a piece of software on a computer with no internet connection then it does NOT work offline

The decision is very hard desu.. fusion is great cad, there is no denying it, but you will turn yourself into a cloud slave forever.
In 10 years they can say ok you now have to pay $1000/month to use our shit and you are fucked.
You maybe have some exported gcode for your parts or some stl models, but you no longer can edit your parts in the fusion and it is impossible to pirate, and you just thrown, or rather were forced to throw, away 10 years of cad experience
That is such a huge negative that i will just stick to SW even if fusion is slightly better.
I will only switch to fusion when it offers full offline support OR becomes at least twice better than SW (like ms paint vs photoshop tier)
although i have to admit that SW works really hard lately to ensure that happens
>>
>>1674014
nothing is impossible to pirate, it only uses online for importing files from solidworks or something similar.
>>
okay i need a 20 thou groove, where do I buy little grooving tools?
>>
>>1674034
damn, I kind of want this job for some tiny titanium parts but I can't source a proper mill tool for a 25 thou groove with 10 thou radius corners.

best I can get is from harvey with 5 thou radii
>>
>>1674039
>tfw 3d profiling grooves on a mill
>>
>>1674039
Custom order grooving tools ya silly
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (39 KB, 428x613)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
I have taken advantage of the chink sale on ali and decided to become a smol machinist
Wish me luck
>>
>>1674173
Very small from the looks of it.
>>
>>1674185
it's not about the size of the CNC but about how you use it
>>
>>1674189
No, sometimes you need size.

That would be fine for relatively light cutting and projects, but I would never go above .040 or 1mm doc on that thing. Glhf
>>
>>1674195
I won't be making anything big plus i will only be milling wood, aluminum and PCBs so it will do great and will nicely fit in my studio apartment
>>
>>1674198
if you look long and hard you might actually be able to make some money with it, more useful if you have other machines too though.
>>
>>1674164
price didn't warrant that and it really seems like there should be a giant inventory of grooving tools for every occasion.

I looked at the thinbit website, seems like the exact right product for that sort of thing, little parting inserts that you can buy individually with the right groove dimensions and probably radii too.

problem being
>you can't just buy them on their online store for some reason
>the website requires some proper study to figure out what they actually offer

If they had a website like harvey and some proper distributors (or an online store) they would be huge.

If you were gonna order a custom grooving tool where would you go for it?
>>
btw if anyone wants to do modern CNC machining, harvey and helical stock massive inventories of tools with the right shank, clearances, radii, etc., and they have distributors (dbc industrial) with normal shipping (ups 2-day or 3-day), which can suck or can be just right depending on the job.

Fusion 360 provides tool libraries for most if not all of their offerings too, which means you can find a tool you think might work on their website, go to your tool library, find the tool, insert boilerplate S&F, and a holder, then test it out in CAM before you buy it for the job.

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmtools?_ga=2.239730059.929035577.1567175091-1603950454.1566878945

Anyone know if most businesses can order direct from harvey with better shipping?
>>
>>1674470
>Anyone know if most businesses can order direct from harvey with better shipping?
No.
>>
>>1674463
I'm not getting it for that but only for hobby stuff and things like making dogtags for my doggos and friends doggos, keychains, and mainly the pcbs and also custom edge lit acrylic signs, my friends will bust a nut over then
>>
>>1674463
Also what machines do you recommend? I want o get a mini lather few months down the road when i'm not starving anymore because of the stuff i ordered now, and maybe an angle grinder, but my apartment is very small, single room and mi budget is tight
>>
>>1674564
A house to rent out for cash to buy more houses and machines.
>>
>>1673078
>Any idea if you can run on on raspberry pi and manage it through a web interface?

I would not trust a RPi to run it, I think. I can't say that for certain, as I've never even looked into it, but running something realtime like you need for machine control generally demands significant computational overhead to handle worst-case scenarios for motion planning. You can't have ANY hiccups when doing low-level motion control, and I don't think any of the SBCs would fare too well in this regard.

Don't know why you'd want to run it headless, either. Unless you're doing serious lights-out production, setup is generally much more involved on most CNC equipment than it is for a 3D printer. You have to be at the machine anyway to load and locate stock, anyway.

>endmill needs to touch it with a probe to know how far exactly it is from it

That's not really bed leveling, that's touching off/locating/probing the workpiece.

>>1673146
>I can assure you that making a mill or lathe level is very important to getting any real accuracy

Yes...but leveling a machine isn't comparable to "bed leveling" as the 3D printer crowd knows it.
>>
>>1674581
Well rpi has wifi so the head is actually your regular pc which controlls the cnc throu a web interface on the PI
i use pi for my 3d printer and it is great
It would be silly for me to have a dedicated computer display just for the cnc when my main computer is 2 meters away form it
>>
>>1674571
Smartest idea, just gotta do monthly inspections until you kinda trust them.
>>
File: UMC 500.jpg (236 KB, 2880x1920)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>new smaller, cheaper 5-axis from Haas

muh dick
>>
This is super easy to print on a 3d printer, how hard would it be to cnc it? I would like to make it from metal
>>
>>1675110
How much?
>>
>>1675155
That's a lot of setups, so maybe 1 hour per part
>>
>>1675157
Fuck.
Why do CNCs have to be the autists of 3d printing.
>>
>>1675159
Because autism and tight tolerances mix very well.

Also, that was a 3 axis estimate. 5 axis would take about 10 minutes and cost 5x as much.
>>
>>1675177
Don't you only have to flip it once to make it?
>>
>>1675191
No, that thing has a lot of weird geometry and is very fragile and non-rigid.
>>
>>1675156
Probably more than you make in a week
>>
>>1664849
>>1664923

Teknic are fuckin champs. The software and API are a breeze to deal with, too.
>>
>>1675156
>>
>>1675432
Huh, aren't the other ones in a similar price range? The umc750 I looked at earlier this year wasn't that big, like 4 vending machines put together big
>>
>>1675447
yeah it's only 8k less than the 750, 8k is still a lot of money though.
>>
Fuck, air collets are expensive as fuck
I will have to rig up some simple mechanical releaser for my regular cheapo er11 collets
>>
https://www.mmsonline.com/articles/high-efficiency-vs-high-feed-milling-which-is-more-productive

interesting article on HEM vs High Feed Milling
>>
>>1675683
>high feed milling is faster because you can cut both climb and conventional so it stays in the cut longer than the HEM tool--however, surface finish from the HEM tool is far superior. HEM still competes depending on the part geometry as well.

Damn, why is a 1/4 high feed endmill from kennametal $200?
>>
Quick question from a friend of mine
He has a hobby router and when he reaches a depth of 3mm there is a lot of chatter. It doesn't go to that depth in one go. He takes 0.1 mm passes with a 3.175mm 2 flute upcut.
Every single pass above 3mm has a great mirror finish without chatter.
What could be causing this?
>>
Hi faggits, I am moving to an apartment in a town w/ a maker space. However, the maker space's machine tool section is limited to only a lathe, no mills, shapers, etc. Sadly I won't have a garage so any tooling I buy for myself has to be small.

Are sherine CNC mills g2g?
>>
>>1675964
Tool is still rubbing on the first passes, probably. If he has a way to do so, try relieving the endmill so it can only cut on the bottom mm or so.
>>1675703
How many of those do you think they sell vs a normal 1/4 endmill?
>>
There's one of those combo mill lathe things near me for 500, used. Does it sound like a good first machine? I've got no experience, just watched tons of videos.
>>
>>1676000
Forgot the picture
>>
>>1675972
well high feed mills are apparently pretty useful, for a small deep pocket in tool steel or stainless they would be a go-to, but otherwise not preferable over a large high feed face mill or something. The lakeshore one is $70
>>
>>1676002
unfortunately i've heard nothing but bad things about them
>>
File: threaded rod.jpg (87 KB, 425x814)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1676002
do you think you could make these on it?
3/16 diameter rod w/ #10-32 threaded section, 82 thou diameter counterbore on the end there and ~30 deg chamfer on the prongs. The ~0.015" width slots on the end will no doubt be the hard part (I suggest slitting saw). Oh and it has a hole through it 1/16 that will mean drilling from both sides or a long length drill bit.

If you can make 30 or so of them in 5 business days then you could get ~$1000 for the job. In that time frame you need a few things to come together so you can even do the machining, namely
>getting suitable material in fast enough
>getting the tools in fast enough
>getting the machine set up for doing the machining
>doing the machining, inspection, packaging, and shipping

and all within budget and on schedule
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzwmlWnbhEU

>cnc converted old lathe
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTXx84DY798

I want to try this.
>>
I literally know nothing about machining but my grandfather was one and just gave me a bunch of his old tools. He recommended I take a course on it and have it as a job. Is it something I should get into? Will it be automated in the next 10-15 years? I want something future proof, thanks
>>
>>1676428
You too can join the cadre of fuck-ups making the parts that industry depends on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaSo3ys1Tc
>>
New thread

>>1676673
>>
>>1676123
>i've heard nothing but bad things about them
is that a good thing?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.