[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 1547784507288.jpg (6 KB, 240x240)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I need some ideas where to keep money or jewelry in my home. Was thinking of keeping stuff in my computer, but that might be a bad idea. What do you anons use?
>>
>>1663813
A safe? A false bookshelf that reveals a secret room behind it when you yank out the 5th Harry Potter book (nobody ever makes it past #3 so there’s no reason for a person to accidentally touch #5).

Good thread OP. Don’t think I could do any better myself.
>>
>>1663813
Prevention is a far better tactic, become a hoarder and never clean, no one will rob you.
>>
>>1663818
>Good thread OP. Don’t think I could do any better myself.
I had some other ideas. Go to ebay and search for "hidden safe"
There is a lot of creativity in something like this

>>1663820
Too late for that, I don't really dress fancy or anything but I don't know how and if I can get myself to mess up my home. Also, I believe that these days criminals can get more reliable information throgh other means.
>>
>>1663825
I remember lookin through all the random shit on Prime Days a few weeks back and they had a book safe disguised as a dictionary.

Damn, I just looked and the thing is only $10.
>>
>>1663842
But everyone knows that dictionaries are safes now!
>>
>>1663846
Pretty much any book in the house is probably a safe. I want a Kindle safe!
>>
>>1663818
I'd rather leave my money and valuables in the open than have harry potter books in my house
>>
>>1663846
Well by "definition" I think it's a good idea.
>>
Hello
>>
>>1663813
a safe?
>>
Safe is your best bet. If you can't afford to pay full price for one one, keep your eye out for big(get) retailers that are going out of business or relocating locations. Typically, they don't move the safe and they'll sell it for cheap. Some will even let you have it if you can get it out of there. I get a lot of industrial safes that way. These are not the "thin" home safes. They're beasts.
>>
The book safe is your best bet, imo. Thugs aren't interested in books. Leave out some cash and an inexpensive ring out in the open, and they'll grab that and ditch because they don't want to be in your house for long as a burglar.
>>
File: nixon 2.jpg (153 KB, 980x552)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>1663871
You get a lot of safes this way?
...how many safes do you have?
>>
>>1663871
>These are not the "thin" home safes. They're beasts.
this. Even a small retailer doing $500 a day will have a 1/2"-3/4" steel safe with a big ol' KACHUNK lock.
>>
>>1663874
enough to feel safe at night
>>
>>1663813
Built pvc cache. Threaded end. Put itbinside a bigger one. Wrap both in plastic.

If need constant access core out bottom of bedfram or glue magnets and metal box behind dresser drawers.
>>
>>1663813
House baseboard
>>
>>1663813
Cut out a section of wall, secrete valuables, replace section of wall and patch to invisibility. If you need regular access, get a posthole digger plus a 4ft section of 6in diameter pvc and some threaded caps. Dig a hole, cap and glue the bottom end of pvc and deposit in hole. Leave a few inches sticking up out of the ground. Attach an eyelet to the inside of the other cap, string with bag goes into hole with other end of string tied to the eyelet. Screw it on. Looks like a utility access to the uninformed.
>>
>>1663874
>You get a lot of safes this way?

I do.

>...how many safes do you have?

4. Picking up two more next week. Should have those three turned around and sold by the month's end.
>>
>>1663871
Isn't a safe just gotta be taken and carried away or someone making me open it at gunpoint?
>>
Get a bank safe deposit box. There is no way I'm keeping 40k worth on gold in a safe in my house.
>>
>>1664048
The whole point of keeping gold in your house is to protect yourself from the banks and the government. It is one of the only assets that you can have full control yourself over
>>
>>1664062
Floorboards are probably best if it's not a more organized crime group

The other 2 are easy targets that are popular
>>
>>1663813
Fake sewer cleanout in the basement wall.
>>
>>1664046
>Isn't a safe just gotta be taken and carried away or someone making me open it at gunpoint?

Taken and carried away? Not impossible but damned difficult. Forgetting the mass of a good safe making things a bit more difficult than easily picking it up and whisking away with it, most safes (at least all of the ones I've ever seen, owned or dealt with), have holes on the bottom for anchoring to the floor.

Having someone force you to open it at gun point? Sure, that could happen as well. But if they're forcing you to open it at gun point, you either have some items in that safe that are better protected by professionals, or you live in a real shit hole of an area. The question is, will this hypothetical thief shoot you for not opening the safe, or will they shoot you after you open the safe? Either way it could be a lose-lose proposition.

At the end of the day, a safe is not a guarantee against theft. A safe will only delay or potentially dissuade a thief.
>>
>>1664048
>Get a bank safe deposit box. There is no way I'm keeping 40k worth on gold in a safe in my house.

$40k in gold is about..

40000/1500 (rough market price, haven't checked in a while) =26.6 Oz US. You don't have a place anywhere in your house, or on you property, where you could hide 27 oz worth of metal?
>>
>>1664048
this is poopbrain tier. Once its on the banks property the bank can deny you from having it to a degree.
>>
>>1664173
This. Your safes should have a second code or hidden switch to trigger a an explosion or release a spray of acid and nerve gas, if you are forced to open it or give them the combination.
If ya bout to go to hell anyway make sure you have company on the trip.
>>
>>1664248
deposit box shit isn't secure from many employees, can be held by the bank "reporting it as evidence", seized at random by gov as large seizure, mistaken identify/wrong target, or civil forfeiture as unlawful gains or random bullshit tax evasion claims, treated as assets of the bank for business purposes if they are slick enough, used as assets if a bank is failing, stolen or liquidated with paperwork saying the owner is dead or classifying it as abandoned, and like 50 other things that are common but rarely reported on
-all without your knowledge or any notification

like the gold bugs say, "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"
>>
>>1663813

Dummy gun safe. Cheap shit locker or old toolbox. Put a bunch of pro gun stuckers on it so it's obvious. Have 2 or 3 cheapshit guns in there. Maybe a good quality pistol with gps hidden.

Hide other guns in interior false wall or secret closet with hidden entrance.
>>
>>1664177
I have unnecessary old drain pipe in sink. Use magnet to bring washer and string a foot to opening. Pull out pvc cache of ...well cash
>>
>>1664078
Fake gas line with bitterant and air tank on it!

Yes!
>>
Make one of those fake books that have a hole in it and put your money/jewelry inside, use a really boring book like an old dictionary.
>>
Empty Whey bucket
>>
>>1664046
Some safes are big enough they need a group of men to move it. We had one at work that took 3 guys to move it to the next room, and another safe so big it took a few days to dismantle it for removal.
Safes can be hidden behind a wall or under the basement floor, the location of which you must never tell anyone. That way you might not have a gun to your head being asked for the unlock code.
>>
If it's just money and jewelry put it in an envelope and duct tape it to someplace hidden. Potential options would be the back of a mirror, back of a bookshelf, back of a drawer, under a sink or desk, or above a closet door
>>
>>1665700
You'll just have a gun to your head being asked for the location of the safe.
>>
File: mirrorsafe.jpg (37 KB, 496x800)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>
SO all of you are giving this stupid thieving nigger , Idea's on what to look for and where to look for shit when he is trying to rob a house ?

ask yourself this :
why would he come onto a board filled with stupid fuckers who are to poor to even need a safe in the first place ?
if he says it is for hiding shit , the only stuff this shit for brains will have is a bit of drugs .
anyone else who has ANYTHING worth stealing is not going to hide it , HE is going to PUT IT INTO A SAFE and real one , one that weighs a ton and can't just be stolen without a fork lift.

YOU dumb motherfuckers are just to fucking stupid for words .
>>
>>1666333
Take the nigger to your "fake backup" safe with documents and a few gold coins.
>but the nigger will know about your REAL safe
By now you should have shot the guy.
>>
False plug outlets. Ive heard stories from several fellow electricians finding stuff in old houses. So maybe just dont forget where it is and put it in a good location, like behind a bed or other furniture, or anywhere not easily seen or accessed. Only downside is space maybe, depends on what you want but jewelry would be a good choice.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (197 KB, 1500x1185)
197 KB
197 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.