[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

I have a mechanical engineering degree and I want to learn how to actually make my shit move. How do I learn about motors and stuff? I took Physics II and Intro to Electrical Engineering, so I know about current and voltage and resistors and capacitors and inductors and AC vs DC current and magnetism and flux and all these gay things, but I don’t know how to actually DO anything.

If I build a simple mechanism, how to I get him to move? And move at speeds I want him to move at? What do I need to learn about to make this happen? And what about sensors and all that stuff?
>>
>>1662892
You have to be zapped by these things and then the electricity transfers the electronic knowledge.
>>
>>1662892

you might get some good advice here, but one way to start off is to look at the products at places like adafruit and sparkfun and read the guides they have, and pretty soon you will know the precise terms you want to google and find in-depth discussions by people who have built what you want to build.

for example, you can do a lot of small to medium things very easily with stepper motors and hobby servos.
>>
>>1662897
Like fork in a wall socket

>>1662905
I was thinking about buying one of those Arduino starter kit things but then again I don’t even know what an arduino is or what all of those components and holes on them are even for
>>
>>1662892
Look up Arduino bot
>>
>pick something you want to do
>learn how to do it

t. mechanical engineer
>>
>>1662897
Basically this. I licked a charged photo flash capacitor when I was like 6 years old, and now I know some electronicals
>>
>>1662897
There's a weird sort of truth to this.
In the last year of my EE degree program, a bunch of us were sitting around BS'ing and it came out that every single one of us had some sort of traumatic childhood experience with getting zapped. There were a few wall socket experiences, one guy's house had been struck by lightning, the one girl there had been shocked by a cigarette lighter in her dads car when she was real little. I personally stuck a fork in the toaster when I was about seven.

Invite the electrons into your body, OP. They will show you the way
>>
>>1662996
>Invite the electrons into your body, OP. They will show you the way
When I was 5y old...
>Took broken alarm clock (3V)
>somehow plugged two AC (EU sucko 220V)
wires into the thing
>holding it with both hands
>get shocked almost cant move
>the clock is spinning
>gramma pulls me out
now I'm a IEEE member (industrial engineer)
>>
>>1662892
Git a multimeter and soldering iron and one of those Elegoo kits from amazon.
>>
>>1663037
>now I'm a IEEE member (industrial engineer)
Just imaging what you might have been but for your dreadful accident.
>>
File: 1553319392881.png (21 KB, 112x111)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>1662892
I'm still in school and on my way to an electrical engineering degree. Definitely learn about digital (boolean) logic, get a microcontroller (Sparkfun or Arduino) and learn how to operate it by building simple circuits like turning an LED on and off, watch a shit ton of youtube tutorials on microcontrollers, follow some instructable tutorials, learn how to write simple programs (shouldn't be too hard; you probably took a C++ course), collect a bunch of cheap electronic parts on wish or amazon (transistors, breadboards, capacitors, resistors, etc.), and overall just learn through practice. I learned how to work with electronics mainly by tinkering with old shit. Arduino or sparkfun kits usually come with a bunch of motors, resistors, LEDs, etc. Get a multimeter and learn how to use it (some good ones are at swap meets). The last project I did (a kill switch for my car that requires a specific number of switch flicks and button configuration) was planned using digital logic and built with ICs. You can learn as you go.
>>
>>1663037
Btw, why all people who get into electronics, were shocked when they were 4-6 years old?
>>
>>1663230

because lots of people have been shocked, especially people with lots of curiosity. It's probably true of chemistry students, biology students, etc.
>>
>>1662892
buy some cheap shit from the internet/aliexpress:
stepper motor, dc motor, motor driver, arduino clones, breadboard, wires, resistor/capacitor/transistor/diodes set, etc.
and start playing around.
you said you already the theory, so go on and just do it
>>
>>1663250
>and start playing around.

this sorta works when you are really young (like 12, literally) and just making a shaft turn is rewarding. if you are an adult, it's fun for a short while and then it's boring unless you have an actual project that you are interested in, and then the motivation is there.

No matter what it is, from learning a new programming language to using a new sensor, if I don't have a need for it, it's just tedious make-work to study it. On the other hand, if I have a project that interests me, I can spend every spare minute for months or years learning new things. The hard part is coming up with a new project when you've finished the last major one.
>>
File: 1362349872357.gif (1.83 MB, 200x200)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB GIF
>>1663265
>The hard part is coming up with a new project when you've finished the last major one.
How is this hard? I can think of numerous things I wanna do:
A bluetooth speaker with quality speakters, 18650 cells and a proper battery management
Some kind of semi flexible fabric for my backpack with waterproof mini solar cells to load power banks or my smartphone
An actually smart power bank with data monitoring and accurate remaining loading time based on collected data from an usb device with an unique id
A desk lamp with quality tuneable LEDs (=adjustable color temperature), color temperature sensors, lux sensor to turn it on gradually, and a usb and/or bluetooth interface to integrate with f-lux
retrofitting my bike with electromechanical shifting and/or reverse engineering a shimano di2
and so on...
>>
>>1662996
>shocked by a cigarette lighter
it is called a burn cause it was hot
12V can't shock you just cause you are real little
>>
>>1663248
> biology students, etc.
What can hurt there? I mean, wasps and other niggers made me only want to burn their fucking nests with blowtorch.
>>
>>1663356
When you stick your willy in that outlet, you’re shorting the 12VDC across a real short distance. The + and - are only like 1/2” from eachother, that’s assuming he’s talking about the outlet and not the actual lighter.

>now a certified pro on this topic after researching “it’s the current, not the voltage” for 10min last night
>>
>putting your dick into a cigarette lighter
tbqh, low girth dick
>>
>>1663360
>a real short distance. The + and - are only like 1/2” from eachother
How is that relevant?

>outlet and not the actual lighter.
What's an 'outlet' in a car? Again how is that relevant? It doesnt matter at all as there will be a near zero voltage drop on the path from the battery to whatever connector you stick your finger in as all voltage will drop across your finger or whatever part you stick in. Even if you touch the battery directly that won't make any difference. It will be full 12V. So you are saying you can get electrocuted by touching the car battery? Or a small 9V battery? Maybe if your finger is partially made of metal (if you are boomer for example you might have artificial limbs so that's possible)
>>
>>1663426
>Hand to Foot
>500 ohm
Stepping on an electrode, then stabbing your hand with another electrode is more common than most people think
>>
>>1662941
same

>t. regular guy
>>
>>1662892
how can you have a mech e degree and ask this? come on anon, try harder in life. you only get one shot

>t. disappoint
>>
>>1662892

Assuming you have a real job, work from the direction a real mechanical engineer would. Go with plc's and wire up din rails in cabinets. Don't fuck around with the arduinios and shit. Get useful, marketable domain specific information.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.