[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 20 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Just picked this beauty up. It's a York 125A in really decent working condition but I kinda fancy doing a bit of a spruce up on it.

Any ideas? Paint or rust converter and oil treatment?

Also, feel free to talk generally about vises (or vices if you have any, mine are cigs and women).
>>
>>1642398
just give it a lick of paint an my vices are drink an whores dont tell the waifu
>>
>>1642403
Oiled oxide looks so mean though
>>
>>1642407
why you wearing rubber gloves kek
>>
>>1642415
Not me, some redneck e-celeb.

Anyhow I only wear yellow marigolds with ostrich feather trim, not those limp-wristed blue shits.
>>
>>1642420
Imagine her fapping you off roughly over that vice

It surprises me how many guys in construction wear those blue shit things under work gloves
>>
>>1642398
I would just clean it off and leave it alone.
I don't know about you but I don't have patience for half this shit anymore, I am sorta tempted to repaint my wilton 400s but really it' still got most of the paint, (less than that one). If I had a sand blaster I'd be a whole lost more interested in doing "restoration" projects, prep work makes all the difference and just so happens to be the thing I lose interest in as soon as I get 20 minutes into it.
>>
>>1642415
It's generally a good idea to keep the chemicals used if projects like that from getting on your skin. Some leach the oils out of subcutaneous tissue. Some just leave a sticky mess or stain. Some make their way in and cause liver damage. Gloves also prevent the oil from your skin from messing up the paint or other finish you're using.
>>
>>1642398
I just found a big craftsman vice in Goodwill for $24.99
It's grey and heavy. Still in the truck of my car. Will get a pic tomorrow.
>>
OP here.

I decided I was going to paint it with rustoleum hard hat so left it out overnight for prep work the next morning. It's been roasting hot here for days so no harm right?

WRONG!

I awoke the next day to hear rain lashing against my bedroom window and I swear you've never seen me move so quick. The vise was soaked through and flash rusting all over. I had to strip it down and clean/relube the lot. After that I didn't much feel like painting so it'll stay as found for the time being.

Sunday I went to the local car boot and picked up some goodies. Brades 2lb ball-pein for 50p and a nice surface gauge for a quid. The hammer had a rotten handle and pretty badly rusted so I dunked it in my electrolysis tank and got it in serviceable condition, thankfully no mushrooming here. The surface gauge's pivot was jammed solid with rust so I stripped it down with the help of release spray and cleaned up all the parts manually. A quick wipe with 3-in-1 and it's working sweetly again.
>>
>>1642742
I got that big Columbia for free from work and I was tempted to clean it up and paint the thing, but then I remembered that would be a waste of time. Clean em, keep it a little greasy and oily, leave it be. Vices are meant to take some abuse, why try and give it a cherry paint job when you’re going to slip the hammer or sander off the thing from time to time or graze it with a saw blade or grinding wheel?
>>
>>1644020
Yeah I realised I was turning into a bit of a boomer for a minute. Too much YouTube I guess.

You're right, it's a user not a museum piece.
>>
>>1642398
That's a real nice lookin Vice you've got there, I hope you have many happy hours with it.
>>
>>1642398
>Paint or rust converter and oil treatment?
Paint, obviously.
A lil' shot of black would do the trick
>>
>>1642398
No way it is only rated 125A
Even 1000A won't melt it
>>
>>1644356
Kek
>>
>>1642742
>I would just clean it off and leave it alone.
this
in it's current state it has 'character'
clean and oil it so you can use it
>>
>>1644356
god dammit Carlos!
>>
File: IMG_5455.jpg (772 KB, 1632x1224)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
Got this for 25 bucks. How did I do?
>>
>>1646092
I mean, it's like $50 new
>>
>>1642424
I used to wear gloves under work gloves, but it was just to keep my hands from drying out and cracking as bad as normal. Throwing some udder cream or lotion in the gloves helps too.
>>
>>1646121
OK, so I did good, then? Even came with 4 bolts/washers/and nuts to attack to a counter/base. That's like an extra 5 bucks right there.
>>
>>1642398
>That red color
Large suspicion that's lead paint. Too late now that you stripped it though. I have a vise that was a similar color til I used some very expensive lead paint remover to clean it up, nasty stuff and will eat through nitrile gloves.
Mine isn't a good brand - a dunlap - but I took a die grinder to it to fix the hideous bad-QC casting. Now I'm in the process of flattening the surfaces with files and it's slow. I'll sand it shiny after and then decide if I want to fully polish it or paint it.
>>
>>1646536
>dunlap
AKA Sears' low-end tool brand.
>>
>>1646536
I didn't strip it, just cleaned off the rust on bare metal surfaces and protected it with SP-400.

As it was made in Soviet Czechoslovakia some time between 1975 and 1988 I concur with your suspicion that it's lead paint aka best paint.
>>
File: goddammit.png (308 KB, 883x688)
308 KB
308 KB PNG
Asked the dude what the lowest he'd take it for. He said $325. I'm not sure he realizes you can buy new vises for less than that. Feels bad knowing there are boomers with literal tons of tools that will just rest away before their kids toss it in a dumpster after they die.
>>
>>1646121
Fuck, I thought you were joking because it costs more than that to ship the hunks of steel from China to a retail floor in the US. How are these things so cheap? I didn’t realize you could buy a vise for that money, let alone a brand you would recognize.

>>1646268
It looks almost new except for a little surface rust from one summer in the garage.

>>1647068
Send him that message. Tell him you have $150 whenever he decides he would rather see somebody use it and not have to leave more crap for his kids to deal with when he dies in 2021.
>>
>>1647106
Theres a stark difference between a $30 vice and a new, US produced reputable vise. Cast iron versus steel, overall construction, quality of the screw, and a few other factors. I offered his $125 and he flat out said no. I'm not going to argue with some boomer that thinks he has 40lbs of gold in his shed because he'll never sell it for $150. Wilton bullet vises are nice because of their quality and history, but they're not $300 for rusted and heavily used.
>>
File: doubledammit.png (298 KB, 712x664)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
>>1647203
Sorry for the second post; but heres the same boomer with another vise. Reed made excellent vises too but he'll never get this kind of money for that vise. The postings have been listed for about 23 days and updated 2 weeks ago. I have a feeling he'll get tired of people trying to "lowball" him and just stop selling these or sell them for scrap price of $40 instead of dealing with people on CL.

I saw Amazon has new Wilton vises for $80. I'll probably just go with something in that range. A lot of people seem to regard the <$50 vises from harbor freight and lowes to be kinda junk because they crack, twist, or somehow break.
>>
>>1647204
>The postings have been listed for about 23 days and updated 2 weeks ago.

Stop crying about this old guy not giving you stuff for free and go buy a fucking vise.
>>
>>1647204
New Wilton vises are made in China and nowhere near as good as their old ones. Old vises that aren't beaten all to hell actually sell for decent money. $200-$300 is not unreasonable for a decent sized old Wilton. They go for a lot more than that on eBay.
>>
>>1647204
That vise is worth like 60-80 dollars if you really really wanted it, it's more like 40 bucks.
It's rough as hell.
The new Wilton's are made in china but you can still buy american made wilton vises, they go for about 600-2000 new.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.