[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Please consider donating to help the victims of the KyoAni studio fire: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

File: images.jpg (12 KB, 263x192)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
It's pretty fucking based that some of you guys know how to make ball bearings. Machinists are the most based and redpilled of all the skilled tradies.
>>
File: PThpgEM.gif (1.99 MB, 200x168)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>1640728
..ok
>>
My father developed melanoma and died as a machinist. I have many moles that formed rapidly due to secondhand exposure.

Don't know if they used splash guards, fumigation, or whatever.

Fuck machine shops, OSHA, and the whitewashed MSDSs.
>>
>>1640734
>My father developed melanoma and died as a machinist.

F

>Don't know if they used splash guards, fumigation, or whatever.

This is one area pretty sure all trades lack in, being able to work in a safe environment with minimal exposure to the hazards.
>>
>>1640734

Anon how do you know the melanoma was a result of being a machinist?
>>
>>1640747
Many people had died at his workplace, they switched to a new coolant and he mentioned he started feeling unwell, getting it on my skin caused dark moles to form all over. Working under fluorescent lights at night, the fields coming off the machines, and dirty electricity will do it to you as well. Things no one "believes in" or gives a fuck enough to even read the data on.

This place is going to get what's coming to it.
>>
>>1640763

>dirty electricity
>>
>>1640766
>dun cook ya cant hurtcha amiright haha lol
>>
File: Adey_qEEG.jpg (217 KB, 793x638)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
I want you to imagine going into this guy's lab at UCLA's Brain Research Institute, and trying to meme arrow and greentext him. WR Adey not only taught anatomy at Oxford, did neuroscience research, and bioelectromagnetics, he was an elected fellow of IEEE for his work designing a phased array radar systems.

Based on authority or not, that's the most concise way of saying you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You just got memed by some memer and now you're memeing in turn. I bet if I said "exposure to high frequency transients and harmonics in the surrounding wiring" you'd have a different response, now wouldn't ya? Yeah, you would. But since you've had social training that DIRTY ELECTRICITY is OFF LIMITS you're MEMEING me like a dumb MEMER and I'm having to correct you with a bleak sliver of hope that it causes your meme propagation to cease. Excerpts from 1990 coming next. You thought you could just meme arrow me? You have no idea.
>>
WR Adey 1990 - Joint Actions of Environmental Nonionizing Electromagnetic Fields and Chemical Pollution in Cancer Promotion

To pursue these problems in the environment and in the laboratory, our needs for further research with
appropriate budgets are great. We recognize the importance of studies that address the effects of long-term,
recurrent, intermittent exposures to environmental electromagnetic fields, which is an area where simplistic concepts of cumulative dose effects do not apply.
These epidemiologic and laboratory studies emphasize the growing impact of environmental chemical
pollution and the rapidly increasing deployment of an almost infinite variety of environmental electromagnetic fields as possible joint factors in cancer promotion. As we move towards the twenty-first century,
elucidation of mechanisms underlying these interactions at the cellular and molecular level will become
matters ofurgency. At the same time, implementation ofpublic policies that would mitigate risks from these
exposures may impact heavily on existing industrial practices and on important aspects of environmental
planning in housing and urban development. At this stage, it is of paramount importance that the
significance of these issues no longer be ignored.
>>
File: DIA 1976.png (729 KB, 1840x2381)
729 KB
729 KB PNG
Do these EM fields constitute a health hazard? Based
on available epidemiological data and laboratory studies,
it has become increasingly clear that these fields acting
either alone or in conjunction with chemicals that occur
as environmental pollutants may constitute a potential
health hazard. Much has been accomplished in the past
decade in establishing a firm base of new knowledge,
despite a grave and growing lack of research funds and
also entrenched and often self-serving attitudes among
influential groups who have denied the possibility of
adverse effects, based simply on their a priori positions.
Potential hazards of these fields relate to athermal
tissue interactions where tissue heating is not the significant factor in the observed effects. By definition, ionizing radiation is not involved. From a public health aspect, we should recognize at the outset the principal
nay-sayers against the potential health hazards of
athermal EM fields.
Engineers have taken the view that if it cannot fry the
subject, it cannot hurt him. Physiologists have maintained that equilibrium phenomena, which they have
believed to be the prime determinants of excitation at
cell membranes, would not be influenced by such weak
fields and therefore that they are of no physiological
significance. Physicists not sufficiently informed in
nonequilibrium long-range interactions and the vast
burgeoning of new knowledge in quantum mechanics in
their chosen field have stoutly maintained that these
fields are too weak to disrupt even a hydrogen bond by
an increase in thermal energy. All three views are erroneous because they ignore the fundamental importance of highly cooperative processes in biomolecular
systems, based on long-range atomic interactions in
nonlinear, nonequilibrium electrodynamics, and the
quantum physical interactions that now emerge as the
key phenomena in biomolecular systems.
>>
I called you out for "memeing" to keep it slightly lighthearted, but the fact is as far as I'm concerned you belligerently ignorant retards are complicit in murder. Your stupidity allows them to get away with murder.
>>
Also, read Samuel Milham's work. No doubt since you don't believe there's any problem with dirty electricity, you know the name and have been told to totally disregard him. I can't help you with that. Go to pubmed and do some work.

Here's some more data. I've had enough. I'm avoiding things I have to take care of in my own immediate life.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dj875cd10yb72/EMF
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/5id4om83kk12n/Books
Or
https://mega.nz/#F!lPQDlCBZ!DaDP5Poq_Ti6nhga4frJig
>>
>>1640769
electricity scares me, i hired a sparky when my machine needed to be wired up.

i can handle automotive electrics tho that shits ez pz
>>
>>1640785
>electricity scares me

Just make sure the darn thing is turned off before wiring it up and you're using the right breaker and wire size, make sure your splices are nice and neat, double check your work thus you'll be good to go!

Now lineman work, anything 600v and up is scary indeed.

t.sparky.
>>
a thread i thought was going to be fascinating and about ball bearings turns out to be fascinating for different reasons
>>
>>1640728
I agree machinists are based as a mechanic here, but I will also say the good ones are really... Off imo. Their thinking is of a different kind. Smart as hell and do things I can't but at the same time come off as stupid in so many different situations.

Am I the only one?
>>
>>1640830
Nope.
Worked at the tool and die shop my dad worked at for a while. He always told me the machinists and EDM guys were oddballs but it's different seeing it firsthand.
Also regarding what the other guy said: all three EDM guys developed neurological problems like Parkinson's within a few years of working on the machine.
I ran a 5-axis CNC for a year and a half and now I have a constant tremor in my left hand, neurologist thinks it's from the coolant and fine metal dust.
Guy at the building next door has berylliosis and probably won't last another 5 years.
Shit's fucked. I left and got an office job, my dad retired.
>>
>>1640862
The more damaged your nervous system gets, the more susceptible you are to a wider range of fields. I was holding a DECT phone in my right hand the other day, put it near my head, it induced involuntary jerking of the whole arm. Wasn't the case with left side.

The coolant is fucked. Something very wrong there. Even worse if you work with aluminum.
>>
>>1640743
>be med fag
>never injured or sick
Read the fucking manuals and stop being lazy.
>>
>>1640866
I'd believe it. I mostly worked on aluminum and steel. I'm gonna say probably half the folks who still work there, guys I've known since I was a kid because my dad's worked there for ~40 years as a trucker, developed neurological impairment or have had leukemia etc.
I'm pretty sure working there caused me to develop asthma. The problem is that a lot of the guys who work in the field are Big Manly Men Who Don't Whine so nothing ever gets done until a bunch of folks die.
>>1640868
Symptoms of berylliosis can be observed in office staff who never came in contact with or were near it. You can do everything right and still get fucked.
>>
File: 1542238292460.jpg (202 KB, 637x442)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>
Sooo.. how are ball bearings made?
>>
>>1640866
You ever try grabbing your dick with that hand and holding the DECT phone against your head?
>>
>>1640969
With a combo of chemtrails, gangstalking, and dirty electricity. Also, it turns the frogs gay.
>>
>>1640976
You that shit turning the frogs gay is legit right?
I think it was Bill Gates or some dude like that saying they want to spray shit in the atmosphere because climate change, the other day.
Gang-stalking is just schizophrenia and liars though, not gonna shill for that one.
>>
>>1640824
what a twist!
>>
What the hell happened here? I'm trying to read up on dirty electricity, which I've not heard about till now, and I don't understand what it's supposed to actually do to you
>>
>>1640980
THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING THREAD ABOUT BALL BEARINGS
>>
File: USSR, 1960-2.png (216 KB, 894x669)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>>1640972
No.

>>1640980
Pubmed. Milham S. Look up the effects of AM band frequencies as well, which are not good for you. AM radio was a mistake. Not even being ironic.
>>
>>1640986
What do you think about making rooms of your house into faraday cages?
>>
File: USSR, 1960.png (186 KB, 889x626)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>1640997
-If done wrong it can make it worse
-There are very negative "hypofield" effects if you resort to something that near completely blocks the cosmic microwave background, schumann resonances, etc.
-Can be expensive.

I've seen it go either way. Some people are greatly benefited, some not. The graphite or copper doped paints vary... they have to be grounded out properly. Lead paint is actually ideal. Probably on the outside of the house though.

I live in a rural area, but have a wimax and cell phone tower a mile and a half away. Not a tall unit, but to my surprise someone got service in my living room. Started shielding, but it's not a trivial matter and uglifies everything. Should have got at least a crude meter years ago. You really need to be able to get at least some measurement.
>>
>>1640763
>dirty electricity
Like arcing where ozone gets int he air or like grounded machines that shock the piss out of you if you touch them incorrectly or just big levels of EM due to rather large coils in motors or electromagnets?
>>
>>1640969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPICAcrN34
>>
>>1641025
Raw balls ain't no joke.
>>
>>1640763
>coolant gives you moles
>Working under fluorescent lights at night, the fields coming off the machines, and dirty electricity will do it to you as well.
this is about the fastest i have ever gone from skeptical to complete bullshit.
>>
>>1640775
>science researcher
>buy my book
sounds utterly plausible anon thank you
>>
>>1641171
Sounds like you got your almonds activated.
>>
>>1641173
Library genesis.

This field was defunded in the early 90's. Military had far more than they wanted from the public research apparatus and in the open literature, industry of course didn't fund anything. This continues in the US, to this day.

Taken from _index.txt
Milham - Low cancer incidence in Amish living without electricity
Milham 1985 - Mortality in Workers Exposed to Electromagnetic Fields
Milham 1988 - INCREASED MORTALITY IN AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS DUE TO LYMPHATIC AND HEMATOPOIETIC MALIGNANCIES
Milham 1996 - Increased Incidence of Cancer in a Cohort of Office Workers Exposed to Strong Magnetic Fields
Milham 1998 - Cancer Among Farmers A Meta-Analysis
Milham 1999 - Magnetic Fields From Steel-Belted Radial Tires Implications for Epidemiologic Studies
Milham 2000 - Comment ‘‘Accuracy of Industry and Occupation on Death Certificates of Electric Utility Workers Implications for Epidemiologic Studies of Magnetic Fields and Cancer’’
Milham 2001 - Historical evidence that residential electrification caused the emergence of the childhood leukemia peak
Milham 2004 - A Cluster of Male Breast Cancer in Office Workers
Milham 2004 - LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Milham 2006 - Mobile phone use and risk of glioma in adults case–control study
Milham 2007 - Electric typewriter exposure and increased female breast cancer mortality in typists
Milham 2008 - A New Electromagnetic Exposure Metric High Frequency Voltage Transients Associated With Increased Cancer Incidence in Teachers in a California School
Milham 2009 - Historical evidence that electrification caused the 20th century epidemic of ‘‘diseases of civilization”
Milham 2009 - Letters to the Editor
Milham 2009 - Most cancer in firefighters is due to radio-frequency radiation exposure not inhaled carcinogens
>>
>>1641193
Milham 2010 - Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease) is caused by electric currents applied to or induced in the body It is an iatrogenic disease of athletes caused by use of electrotherapy devices
Milham 2010 - Historical evidence that electrification caused the 20th century epidemic of ‘‘diseases of civilization”
Milham 2010 - Letters to the Editor
Milham 2011 - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Dirty Electricity
Milham 2011 - Dirty electricity, cellular telephone base stations and neoplasia
Milham 2011 - Lancet, Islands
Milham 2012 - Re Mobile Phone Use and Brain Tumors in Children and Adolescents
Milham 2013 - Dirty electricity, chronic stress, neurotransmitters and disease
Milham 2014 - Evidence that dirty electricity is causing the worldwide epidemics of obesity and diabetes
Milham 2014 - Hypothesis the reversal of the relation between economic growth and health progress in Sweden in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries was caused by electrification
Milham 2014 - Response to ‘‘Refutation of dirty electricity hypothesis in obesity epistemological arguments and trans-disciplinary study using an instrumental variable’’
Milham 2015 - Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs) at the Olympia Farmers Market
Milham 2015 - Huntersville Ocular Melanoma Cluster Report
Milham 2016 - Illnesses caused by contact currents in showers
Milham 2016 - Tumor-specific frequencies and ocular melanoma
Milham 2017 - An off-the-shelf meter for measuring body amperage A new gold standard for epidemiologic studies

He's like 80 something, and science ain't free. Even Adey mentioned his work in his last papers before he died in 2004.
>>
so how is ball bearings formed?
>>
>>1641215
it is not
is myth
>>
>>1640976
You forgot the 5G! Absolutely essential in the manufacture of perfectly spherical ball bearings.
>>
>>1640977
>>1640976
The one fucking vaguely legit thing (it's actually frogs developing as intersex and predominantly sterile due to exposure to atrazine) is what you call out? Goes to show how effective real life disinfo is.

You think you have critical thinking skills, but they're not much better than a tinfoil hatted loon's. You lack understanding and haven't researched.
>>
>>1641254
Atrazine, iirc. Like I said above. Memers made to meme.
>>
>thread about machinists
>turns into autismfest
How surprising
>>
>>1640769
Oh shit, here it comes guys
>>
>>1640771
All this says is "hmm, we should study this to make sure it doesn't cause cancer or something"
>>
>>1640772
>everyone else says this isn't a risk, I say it's a risk because [poorly defined microscopic physics with no sources, that have still not been discussed since this paper came out]
>>
>>1640774
Are you saying that all EM fields are harmful, or just ones that are intentionally used to harm people?
>>
>>1640775
Are you assuming that this is a conspiracy? I've never heard of the fucker. I'm studying EE and I'm not aware of anything that causes EM fields to be harmful on their own. As far as "dirty electricity", I can't think of anything that would make the flow of electrons "dirty".
>>
>>1640976
There ya go. This is the truth this thread needed.
>>
>>1640998
My god, the crazy just keeps going
>>
>>1640969
Well anon when a man and a women love each other very much they hug each hard and very passionately six months later ball bearings are extracted from the women by decapitation
>>
File: community.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1640728
What's the difference between ceramic and not ceramic? The ceramistan spins with less friction? What if you take clay pigment, coat a normal bearing in it like M&Ms and bake it?
IMHO air suspended bearings would make much more sense for free spin stuff like suspended with neodymium magnets or something.
>>
>>1640734
>>1640743
>>1640747
>>1640763
i love this it was clearly from work, not the 3 packs a day ur father smoked a day
>>
>>1640998
Name something made after 1990 that was better than a product from before 1990. I dare ya.
>>
>>1640969
rough forming, hardening, then grinding and lapping

the spiral galley laps are the real key to good bearings
>>
File: 1507330188145.jpg (157 KB, 600x768)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>dirty electricity
>>
>>1643737
Cellular telephones.
Personal computers.
Just about any radio or telecommunications device.
Pacemakers.
Americium-free smoke detectors.
GPS Receivers.
Bicycles.
>>
>>1643737
Tesla electric cars > 20th cent. electric cars
>>
>>1640728
Whose got the balls to make balls? I know you stamp em out, rough em, and roll them through a big circular thingie till they're round. What else am I missing? is there a way to make balls at small scale without the circle thingie? Asking because having balls really improved reliability.
>>
>>1643896
Shot towers. Though for steel, you'd probably need an inert atmosphere to prevent the carbon from burning out.
>>
>>1640862
it's nothing to do with EDM, dirty electricity, or fucking fluorescent lights.

The symptoms you, your father and his colleagues experienced were almost certainly due to exposure to lipid soluble chemicals such as parts cleaners. It fucks your nervous system over time, and you don't even need to breathe it in, it can pass into your body directly though skin contact due to its lipid solubility.
>>
>>1643963
plus some retarded machinists/mechanics even use parts cleaner/brake cleaner to wash their hands
>>
>>1643935
That's not how you make precision ball bearings! You'd still need to polish them. Cause metal has grains it'll still be rough.
>>
>>1643871
I mean, it's a real enough thing, noisy power.
But the only thing it hurts is electronics.
>>
>>1643722
>What if you take clay pigment, coat a normal bearing in it like M&Ms and bake it?
Thermal expansion / thermal cycling over time will fuck it
>>
>>1640785
Same. Stay the fuck out. People laugh because I pay my sister in law to wire my ceiling fans. But I havent been shocked one time and my house isnt on fire. Money well spent.
>>
>>1640984
MARK IT 0
>>
>>1641022
Nah. Electricity that takes bribes
>>
>>1643737
Computers
>>
>>1640743
im just glad i live in a non shit country (not in the us)

coolant is a huge concern here and company that don't want massive fines invest in good equipment, non hazardous coolants, minimal amount cooling. etc
>>
>>1645273
Like where?
>>
>>1643737
ISO/DIN standardized fasteners
>>
>>1644706
This is not Vietnam, anon.
In this thread, there are rules.
>>
>>1640795
You are wiggy Jon travolta in that be grade linesman film
>>
>>1640763
Wtf? Florecent lights give cancer...I wanna know more.
>>
>>1645710
No thats only when standing under power lines for 39 mins.
>>
File: Ceaser the Geezer.png (656 KB, 645x484)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
>>1640763
>>1640769
>>1640775
>>1640980
>>1641193
>>1641195
>dirty electricity

https://youtu.be/cOzwS0rN5z8
>>
>>1640766
Electrician here. "Dirty electricity" is electricity that comes in a fluctuating voltage of more or less than the desired voltage; higher fluctuation than it should have . I'm not sure how that is supposed to cause cancer, unless he was misnaming something else.
>>
File: 1549243124668.jpg (52 KB, 829x960)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1643963
>tfw breathing coolant, brake cleaner, and parts washer solvent, tapping and cutting fluid, all sorts of other chemicals all day at work
>>
>>1646091
Kek was the first thing I thought of when I read dirty electricity too
>>
>>1645710
3 mechanisms.
-Dirty electricity
-RF emissions
-Blue light induced melatonin synthesis suppression

Honestly how it happens doesn't really matter. Animals exposed to them developed degenerative changes in their brains, and higher rates of cancers.
>>
>>1643511
>believing popular opinion to be the accurate rubric for truth because nothing harmful or otherwise negative to business was ever suppressed before
>>
machinists dont make the balls. theyre pressed and then ground round. No machining involved
>>
>>1648721
except you can't just decide to ignore an overwhelming body of evidence without evidence of your own
>>
Talk to anyone who retired from working at a older coal powered power plant about cancer.

You don’t think working so close to those generators cause it?

Or just the shit coming out the stacks that the epa is forcing the older plants to retrofit scrubber systems so the pollution is cleaner.
>>
File: ball_bearing.jpg (28 KB, 567x447)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1640969
>>
>>1650429
Nothing to do with electricity/emf

Coal contains contaminants such as heavy metals that can get into the air when large amounts of coal is moved or burned.
Especially if it's brown coal, that shit produces way more pollution compared to the amount of energy it releases when burned

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.