[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: index.jpg (2 KB, 119x76)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
Get yourself a solar panel! No, seriously do it!

Let it be at least one panel rated at 100+ Watts, include battery and charger and you'll be fine.
>>
8 year ROI? KYS.
>>
>>1628429
>battery
>small panels
>8 year
You wish.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (80 KB, 1280x720)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1628429
>natural disaster cuck them
>roof mount roofing needs done cuck them
>ground mount theives cuck them
>muh 8 uear batteries reeee
>>
>>1628394
solar powered landscape lights count?
>>
>>1628429
>>1628455
I broke even on my off grid install in less than 5 years. DIY and bulk panel price brings the cost down but the biggest cost is battery, inverter and charge controller. Skip 12 volts, its a meme and will fall short for anything but cabins and small mini systems. The practical limit for a 12 volt system is about 50-60 amps charge or discharge so 700-800 watts of solar. a refrigerator can make or break a 12 volt system. A 24 volt system double the capacity but the equipment gets a little pricier and you can actually go a beyond double because resistance isnt as bad. I have a 24 volt system with 1800 watts of solar, adding another 2200 soon. Cost me .60 cents a watt. Inverter cost 1200, batteries 1900 and charge controller 600. Midnite classic 150 (go with the 200, less strict on strings) a magnum 4000 watt pure sine inverter charger. You can save money by buying older trace inverters on ebay. Quality used units. 300-600 bucks for 3000 watt units if i remember right. They pop up from time to time. Avoid modified sine wave. They ruin stuff over time. Nuked a power supply to a laptop with one. A lot of stuff runs funny and bad. Microwaves especially. I feel for pure off grid 4000 watts or close to it is good. A bad winter day I should still get 8-10k watts and summer time its smooth sailing for 20k watts or more for the day. Solar panels are the cheapest part of the system. The more the better and the longer your batteries will last. Batteries cost the most but you can go cheaper than I did. I bought fork truck cells. Rural King sells 155 AH 6 volt golf cart batteries for about 60-70 bucks depending on its on sale. Thats about 75 bucks a KW. Not bad at all.
>>
>>1629095
Here's some shit I have heard about.

I'm not claiming to be an authority.

I don't know how well it work

Pumped hydro. The idea being when you make excess power you use it to pump water up a hill or a tower. Hydroelectric power later when needed, also could use as water source.

Compressed air, take a wild guess.

Fly wheel. Apparently there are some mother fuckers making fly wheels in a vaccum on a magnetic bearing, and storing energy in it. The idea that it would eventually stop anyways is counter argued that it only needs to store excess energy until the sun comes back up.
>>
>>1629095
>DIY
ha ha
Tell that to my local authority
You know how much an install company will charge me for one of those isolation switches you legally require so that firemen can turn off your system if there's a fire?
£320
For a SWITCH
>>
have a 1500 watt system myself. It's awesome to have, connected to a 12v sump pump so if the power gets niggered, I have something to run. Worth the investment on just that alone to keep my nigger basement dry.
>>
>>1629113
Move to a real country Achmed. My state in the US only requires a 5 dollar building permit with sq footage listed for building permanent structured and a septic inspection. We have no code enforcement of any kind.
>>
>>1629096
It's easier and more effecient just to use rain water and drainage water to fill the lake but yes, a very good near infinite cycle life battery. Compressed air has very limited capacity. Flywheel battery does not exist on a consumer level.
>>
Solar is great for off grid, I'm currently running two panels on a nigger rig setup but it's fine for fridge, laptop and other stuff. Going to get 5kw or so put in with some lead acid batts, they are very cheap and I'm just going to thrash the fuck out of them because I figure after 3-5 years when they are fucked there should be some nice lithium storage options compared to what is available now. I was tempted on a Tesla Powerwall but when I called them they told me it doesn't work off grid, like what the fuck kek.
>>
>>1629095
Did you buy pre-made panels, or did you build them yourself from cells?
>>
>>1629113
Is that down in that London prices anon

how much are solar panels an how can i go the Good Life ?
>>
>>1629338
What st8, m8?
>>
>>1629338
May I ask where, anon? I'd wager Northwest. The state/county/city I live in used to be pretty simple and easy to deal with, but the county went from $5 to $300 for well permits, and the city has so many permits and inspections required that you can literally spend a year doing nothing while building or remodeling a house, just waiting for all the inspectors to show up before moving to the next stage. No one even does work for the city itself anymore because they started requiring a $25 permit per ethernet drop in their own fucking city buildings. Want a drop at your home or business? Going rate is $125. City department wants a drop? Only one place will do it and they charge $5000 a drop. You might think this is somewhere nightmarish like NY or NJ, but no, I'm farther south than that. Don't know why they went super-nigger-jew.
>>
>>1629393
Look into buying used tesla car battery packs torn from the car.
>>
>>1629547
>>1629547
West Virginia. Stay out, I like my ass backwards, two headed state the way it is. Empty.
>>
>>1629522
Premade. I bought a pallet off Alt-E. Cheaper exists but they had better customer support. You can snag up used panels real cheap. I got an email from a nickel iron battery dealer selling used panels for 25 cents a watt.
>>
>>1629615
Eh I know a guy from West virginia. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea
>>
>>1629679
Good, stay out.
>>
>>1629687
Jk. See you soon. I'm a california boogeyman too, so watch out.
>>
>>1628394
I have mechanical meter. So, I can get grid inverter and push electrocity back to grid, while turning counter counterclockwise. Just keep eyes on values, otherwise niggers will replace it with smart meter, which won't roll off consumption.
>>
Lets say installing solar panels to run your house costs (without subsidies) $88,000 dollars.
They produce less power every year and in 20 years they must be replaced.
Batteries have to be replaced every 5 years.
You are responsible for maintainence and damage. Pray that there is no hail for the next 20 years.
OR
You buy 1,000 shares of Con Edison @ $88 dollars a share.
They pay a 3.43% dividend which is $2.96 a share. That's $2,960 a year or $246 dollars a month.
Would that pay your electric bill?
The investment requires no maintainence and will continue to appreciate over the next 20 years. You simply go to your mailbox and cash a check 4 times a year.
>>
>>1629859
>Eighty eighty thousand dollars

This post brought to you by Exxon
>>
File: Suicide Showerhead.jpg (37 KB, 550x412)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1629862
I was estimating power requirements in the first world.
Your needs may vary.
>>
>>1629859
>Batteries need to be replaced every 5 years

Yeah if you run lead acids shitheaps, temp regulated lithiums will pull 20+

>88 thousand fucking dollars

For 35k you can get yourself 3 sets of Powerwall 2s for 45kwh and a 10kw arrary. I live off a 5kw array and maybe 10kwh of shitty lead acids, this runs everything I need, computer, lights tools, fridge, deep freeze chest freezer, washing machine, etc and powers A/C during the day. How you could use 45kwh is beyond my comprehension. You are a literal shill.
>>
>>1629928
You can get 20 years out of work truck cells. They run about 110-140 a kw. Golf carts about half that. When I am fully settled I plan on making some DIY planted plate batteries in half gallon mason jars. Only real issue is finding suitable cases and if bullet lead will work. In theory I could produce a battery for next to nothing.
>>
>>1629950
I'd be very surprised if you get 20 years out of lead acids, everything I have read and people I have talked to that have been off grid in my area say around 5, even following discharge depths.
>>
I own a 24v panel but don't have much ideas on using it apart of having it in my car in case the battery dies which never happens
>>
>>1629550
>Don't know why they went super-nigger-jew.
Corruption. You've had corporations buying federal government for years, they're now buying state government. Get out while you still can, Anon.
>>
>>1629618
Where did they email you? I gotta get more and would kill for sub $1
>>
>>1629986
You can get fork truck cells rated at 3200 cycles at 50% DoD. 25% is 7500 or so. That's about 20 years.

>>1630275
Beutilityfree.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.