[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: yet.jpg (640 KB, 2215x1527)
640 KB
640 KB JPG
I'm new to electronics. Opened old broken TV receiver up and I see a lot of buttons, a number display, LEDs.. Can I solder these off, collect them and use them in projects (e.g. Arduino)?

In general, is this possible? I have an old alarm clock with a numbers display, buttons and LEDs. Am wondering whether I can just solder these off, collect them all and then just use them in personal projects! Thanks
>>
>>1626845

In most developed countries it's illegal to solder things off and put them in something else.
>>
Sure. It's usually not worth it with stuff like that.
Buttons and LEDs like these cost a fraction of a cent.
Segment displays can be a bit pricier.
>>
>>1626845

Of course you can.

>>1626849

No.
>>
File: ahmed-mohamed-clock.jpg (37 KB, 596x283)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1626845
Absolutely. This is the kind of science that makes America great!
>>
>>1626845

Not only is it possible, it's encouraged. It's a more efficient way of recycling old boards than what's done at recycling centers. As long as you protect your lungs from fumes when desoldering it's free treasure. Some components are too cheap to bother with, but there are goodies like special ICs and brand-name sockets
>>
>>1626849
>>1626850
>>1626854
>>1626873
>>1626880

Good to know, thank you! I found out the display is a BQ-M332RD and apparently there's some specsheets online, but I haven't found anyone using it in combination with arduino. Is that even possible?
>>
>>1626845
Go for it, it's how you usually start with this stuf.
Old ATXs for example are full of power diodes, MOSFETs and capacitors.
Usually in most appliances you can easily distinguish between power supply part of the board, and just cut it off and use separately.
Just remember: most ICs tend to not like high temperatures for prolonged time and prying it off just with solder iron and pliers is PITA. Use heat gun or controlled flame to quickly desolder and remove larger components.
>>
>>1626884
7-segment displays use multiplexing IC's to drive them, if you try to drive it directly from the arduino you're going to use up all the pins quickly as the LEDs are too many to be feasibly driven in parallel, 28 to be exact
>>
File: 1538691260172.jpg (133 KB, 1512x609)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>1626880
>t.boomer
I mean, sure, pull switches and displays and that IR receiver to its right, I still pull a few oddities here and there when needed, but most modern electronics scrap isn't worth keeping. many SMD components are unmarked or poorly marked (see RF115 and RF114 for example), and not easy to reuse in any case. even then why bother when Pic related

>>1626933
no, those multi-digit modules almost always have rows and columns so you can get by with less than half that many pins. 11 to be exact
>>
>>1626933
multiplexing a 7-segment is easy
>>
>>1626849
What did he mean by this? Is it a troll or is there really a country that outlaws this?
>>
>>1627057
at an industrial scale, there's much paperwork to be done, but probably just a troll
>>
>>1626933
>>1627048
Thanks. Any guides on controlling it? Would be awesome.
>>
File: 797px-Tut_7_Seg_03.gif (48 KB, 797x600)
48 KB
48 KB GIF
>>1627067
This is a good one but in German:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/AVR-Tutorial:_7-Segment-Anzeige

Basically you turn on one digit at a time, but you cycle through all the digits quickly enough that the human eye can't keep up and it will appear like all digits are constantly on.
This way you only need 8 pins + 1 pin for every digit.
>>
>>1626849
Why?
>>
>>1627085
Thanks!
>>
>>1627091
Because lead and other e-Waste.
>>
>>1627248
Sure, that makes sense, because reusing components instead of sending them to a landfill generates so much more e-waste than simply discarding an old item and buying a new one.
>>
>>1627091
Why indeed.
>>
>>1626849
I've never heard of this, and even if true, certainly applies to commercial products only. No one is going to stand over your shoulder at your workbench to make sure you don't reuse a switch from an old vcr in your arduino garden waterer. Not even in bongland. Well, maybe in bongland. Save a switch, bin that bitch!
>>
>>1626845
Turn board upside down. Blowtorch the back of it with a propane plumbing torch. Tap board on ground. SMT shit falls off. Might have to pry a bit with some needle nose pliers for thru hole. Board itself is toasted and burnt but it was trash already.
>>
>>1628372
>Board itself is toasted and burnt but it was trash already

And so are your lungs at that point
>>
>>1628440
I didn't say sniff it like a line of coke on a hooker's ass, anon. Common sense is required, as in all endeavors of value.
>>
I cracked open a small toshiba blu-ray player I bought from a thrift store. It contained a small power board and logic board with a big labeled pin connector with pinouts for 12v, 5v, and IR/button controls. I thought it was pretty cool and would pair well with an arduino or pi computer.
>>
>>1627709
red baste and peeled.
>>
>>1628662
Cool. Did you use them, did it work?
>>
>>1629031
I originally bought the player for the diode to make a blue laser, but was surprised how simple and documented the board was.This was just in the past few weeks so I don't have any project ideas for it.

Just thought I'd share in case someone needed infrared controls for a project. You'd just need to tap the pins for IR and assign functions to them. Cost me like $6.
>>
>>1626849
Yep, don't wanna be put in desolder jail
>>
>>1626845
Yeah do its easier to delsolder a board than wait on mail. Plus if you are just building a conpodent collection you will quickly gather the more popular/called for parts.

Power supplies and older stuff os best. Got a green capictor suitable for guitar tone control knob off a modem today. Surprising what makes up stuff / what stuff shares parts.

Just dont tell apple or osha
>>
>>1626845
Only big caps, inductors and transformers are worth it rest of it is dirt cheap
>>
>>1626845
Old circuit boards are actually my main source of components. CRT boards contain just about every resistor value ever made, tons of caps, discrete transistors and diodes. Get a $50 soldering station with a heat gun and you'll have no problem using SMD components too.

It's not really about saving money, it saves time too.
>>
literally cheaper to hire a chink to design and print a new pcb

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.