[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 20190514_182505.jpg (2.03 MB, 3264x2448)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
Is there somewhere you can refill these handheld propane torches? There a infill nozzle on top. Also where do you even recycle these things?
>>
>>1610846
They aren't supposed to be refilled. It's their business model to get you to buy more metal, and they justify that by making it illegal to refill it, so no company in their right mind will refill that.

You can probably build your own adapters from machined brass and refill that from a larger 20 lb bottle though. I'm not sure if the refill hole is closed shut (like a rivet) or if it is still usableā€¦
>>
>>1610848
That's terrible for the environment
>>
>>1610846
Don't buy the bernzomatic ones, buy the 'camping' cylinders which are like 2/3rds the price normally.
>>
>>1610846
>>1610848
I think the little nub on the right might just be a pressure relief
valve, so that the excess pressure escapes instead of having
the whole bottle rupture in a fiery disaster.

So really, what you're looking for is an adapter that will fit the
tank like the torch adapter will, then you connect it to your
20 lb bottle using a regulator and a valve, then you slowly
open the valve until pressure is equalized.

Make sure your torch and your bottle are for propane, as many
Bernzomatic torches run on a butane mix.

>>1610850
Meh, people would rather not fuck around with old bottles and
manufacture dates and pay a little extra for a new canister
every time. I am not aware of a store that will refund you when
you bring your old canister, but any store that sells that should
at least take it back free of charge.

>>1610852
They are certainly refillable, but I don't think you can fit a torch
on these canistersā€¦ Different thread/size? Plus the format is
not the same, the Bernz are easier to hold.
>>
some have a valve that won't allow them to be filled without a special tool
>>
>>1610856
Seems cost-prohibitive to have a built-in check valve if they are supposed to be disposable.
>>
>>1610846
https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Propane-Refill-Adapter-refills/dp/B077SP5BJP/
>>
>>1610846

this lil nigga there will do just fine
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Refill-Adapter-Lp-Gas-1-Lb-Cylinder-Tank-Coupler-Heater-Bottles-Coleman/121176095084
>>
>>1610852
I got the bernzomatic for like $3.5 at Walmart so maybe not, that's pretty cheap. Can you use Coleman like in your pic with a torchhead?
>>
>>1610861
>Can you use Coleman like in your pic with a torchhead?
Yes. The fitting is the same - exactly the same.
The Bernzomatic fits your hand better for holding as a torch.
>>
>>1610854
Our truck shop stocks the Coleman ones for torch purposes. They work just fine. We don't refill them, though.
>>
>>1610859
How do you figure when it's full. I rather not overpressureize these things?
>>
>>1610857
not really. if you successfully refill one chances are you're never gonna buy another so preventing you from filling is worth it
>>
>>1610869
well the 20lb cylinders are like 200psi. no idea what the little ones have. they do all have a relief valve for safety tho
>>
>>1610869
You can't overfill it under normal circumstances.
You're more likely to get it only half full.

If it is somehow over pressure (overfill, heat, etc) the tiny port with what looks like a tire valve is actually a pressure relief.
A schrader presses IN to open the valve.
The core in the bottle lifts UP against spring pressure to open.
>>
>>1610861
Yes. I have a torch like this so it doesn't matter what size the cylinder is since you just hold the torch head handle. Also the camping cylinders hold more fuel.
>>
File: Propane_pressure_temp.gif (9 KB, 369x277)
9 KB
9 KB GIF
>>1610875
>the 20lb cylinders are like 200psi
it depends on the temperature, not the fill level
>>
God damn what r the chances this would come up today. You need a unef 1"-20 fitting. You can get one that's called throw away or disposable. Get one with npts or a BBQ bottle fitting. You will get 90 percent of what's in the big bottle. Pressure differential. Cascaded to equalized. Now I don't know what's in the little bottles, or the big ones so that may be an issue. You could get a hose and run directly off a big bottle.
>>
File: MrCoolIce.jpg (15 KB, 300x300)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
To dispose of the blue bottles and camp bottles, scrap yards will take them if they have holes cut in them. What I do is save them up, take them up to my back forty, line them up, light a campfire behind them and shoot them with my .223 with 175 grain from 100 yards.

Sometimes, they launch a dozen feet or so, other times, nothing.

You can refill them with the adapters from Amazon, but you have to have tubs of ice water to control the heat, turn the 20 pounder upside down (to send LP into the blue bottle, not gassified propane) and should have the adapter connected to a 5 psi BBQ regulator.

It's a PITA and disposables are cheap. Plus it makes for good target practice so I'm ready when the Gub'ment tries to Molon Labe me cache.
>>
>>1610880
they use a chart when filling. X psi at X temperature. is the same thing with pretty much all gasses
>>
>>1610895
>scrap yards will take them if they have holes cut in them

True, but because I live in a city I put a nozzle on the bottle, make sure the valve is full open and use a egg beater hand drill with a sharp bit.
>>
>>1610908
I live in Detroit (yes, the actual city, not a suburb). I drive my bottles 4 hours to Ranger Lake near Gaylord to shoot them. Last summer, 2 docs from Receiving Hospital came up with me and one brought a god damned Remington 700P sniper chambered in 7mm RemMag to shoot the bottles, sending them tumbling over the fire at about 10 yards behind it. We never found two of them.
>>
>>1610880
The 200 pound cylinders are designed to withstand the same pressure ranges as the handheld ones.
>>
>>1610869
You need to use a scale. Just guessing will cause someone to get hurt.
>>
>>1610846
>>1610848
Ex-airshitter here.
We used those to refill our gas-powered replicas because it was cheaper than buying green-gas.
Some companies made refill adapters. Maybe there still are some on the market, might want to look on airsoft shit stores. On aliexpress, maybe? But I havent played in like, 10 years, so I don't know.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.97 MB, 4032x3024)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
>>1610879
You should try out the hoses. Makes it so much easier to get in tight spots with goofy angles if needed.
>>
>>1610852
how in the hell are you supposed to dispose of these?
>>
>>1611286
Bury em in the recycling bin
>>
>>1611286
I throw mine in the dumpster at work
>>
I'd seen the 20lb to 1lb refill adapter at my local Walmart for $16. I've even, in a pinch, refilled my propane cylinder with butane. Chose the appropriately sized tip to snugly fit the butane tip directly into the outlet of the propane and it went in without fail. The butane through the propane torch tip has similar heat to the propane, I thought, and got the job done.
>>
i took an old torchhead for the disposable bottles drilled and tapped the outlet to 1/8 NPT. then i took a standard propane to quarter inch NPT male fitting and used a 1/4 female to 1/8 male adapter into the torch head

screw together, open both bottles, flip the whole thing upside down. then pull open the relief to let gas out of the small bottle, this allows the liquid to draw in. you'll hear a gurgling. do so until about 70% full. this is the fastest way, but you can definitely fill them to 100% with liquid and thats a not good. 70% at most as once the bottles back up to room temp the liquid will turn to gas, and at 100% liquid theres no room so itll vent. dont be stupid and itll be safe

cheap as fuck too
>>
>>1612461

>The butane through the propane torch tip has similar heat to the propane

nope
>>
File: 1490680978471.gif (36 KB, 720x720)
36 KB
36 KB GIF
I have a cheap drill press and it locks up if I try to use even quite small (1/2 inch) spade bits with it. Motor just buzzes.

Is this because crappy drill press, or because trying to do something a drill press shouldn't be used for?

If it should work fine with a better press, I'll invest. But i don't want to waste money on the upgrade if I'm doing something that's wrong anyway...
>>
>>1612479
If you mean a dremel on a stand then that is normal and its shit
If you mean an actual drill but a baby bench one then either its fucked or you are feeding WAY too fast or doing something else retarded.
>>
>>1612485
It's an actual drill, but super cheap big-box starter unit. I doubt the unit is even 1/3 hp and the entire thing is built out of chinesium.
>>
>>1612479

im assuming you arent trying to drill metal with a spade

a drill press should be the first thing put in a shop in most cases, extremely useful. get a good one
>>
>>1612487
>super cheap big-box starter unit
That's the problem. Those are remarkably shitty these days. Failing to run a half-inch spade bit (in wood, I would assume) is bad even for that level of quality, but it's not too surprising. If you want a decent drill press new, it will cost a few hundred dollars minimum, so it's probably worth looking for a used one on Craigslist or such. An old industrial drill is about the best to be had, but it's probably more than you need. If you can't find something good used, mid level chinesium can be perfectly usable. Just check reviews and be prepared to pay a lot more than for the bottom tier stuff. For perspective, I have never seen a drill press that's not bottom tier at a big box store.
>>
What are the best most durable insulated screwdrivers for the price? Klein?
>>
>>1612466
Forgive me, butane maxes out around 2400 degrees F and propane

>>1612466
Maxes out around 3600 degrees f
>>
>>1612615

you are forgiven
>>
I recently got offered a job as a welder helper.

I know just about the surface information of the trade, no hands on experience though. What is a day to day life on the job for a helper? Is it hard? Just mainly grinding and cleaning the shop?
>>
>>1613161
Depends a lot on the specific work involved, but probably something along those lines. Generally, miscellaneous or low-skilled stuff. That could involve actual welding or fitting of simple non-code things, and a good shop will train you to be productive, but that comes down to the specific shop too. What does the place do?
>>
>>1611286
Mail them overseas to fictitious addresses, that's what I always do
>>
could you somehow use empty cylinders like the one in OPs picture to build a small AC unit?
>>
>>1613161

soon as you walk in the door your skin will change from white to brown and you will remain that way for the next 8 hours
>>
>>1612559
>insulated screwdrivers
Why
>>
>>1613316
safety when working on electrical stuff
>>
>>1612559
PB Swiss
>>
Any way to recolor the ON OFF? Tsk bugging my OCD
>>
>>1613430
Fill in with sharpie, let it dry for a few minutes. Clean it off the top with magic eraser
>>
>>1613430
Fine tipped sharpie.
>>
>>1613443
Wont magic eraser dull the finish on eh plastic?
>>
File: Propane refill.jpg (209 KB, 1454x688)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>1610846
Refilling your own propane bottles is really easy to do, and it's crazy cost effective considering they're about $3 per bottle for the green ones. I use the green 1 pound bottles and refill them from a 20 pound tank with a food scale and an adapter I bought off Amazon. They weigh .13 lbs empty, so full they weigh 1.13 lbs. I connect the adapter to a 20 pound propane tank, flip it upside down, and then hook up a green 1 pound bottle to it. Open the nozzle on the 20lb propane tank and let the liquid flow in. Don't worry it takes a few minutes to get it pretty full. As it fills up it also pressurizes the 1 pound bottle which pretty much stops the flow. I take it off after a minute or so and stick a screw driver in the one pound bottle opening to bleed some of the pressure out, then I hook it back up and keep filling. Take it off every now and then to measure the weight, and when I read 1.13 lbs on the food scale I'm done. A 20 lbs tank is about $15 to $20 depending on where you get it. I usually pay about $16 at HEB for a 20lb tank refill, so I'm able to fill a one pound bottle for about $0.80 and plus I'm not throwing away empty bottles and causing more trash. It's really easy man, I highly recommend filling your own. Here's the link for the adapter -

https://www.amazon.com/DozyAnt-Universal-Propane-Throwaway-Disposable/dp/B019CND6J2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=propane+cylinder+refill&qid=1558317692&s=gateway&sr=8-2
>>
File: refill.jpg (91 KB, 1188x512)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1613716
cont....

pretty much looks like this. Flip the tank upside down so the liquid can flow into the green bottle.
>>
How long would this take to mix by hand? 80lb bgs
Should I just get a truck delivery?
>>
>>1613724
You're never gonna mix all that by hand. I helped a buddy build a fence and the only way we got through pouring all the concrete for the fence posts is because he rented a mixer. Those bags are hella heavy and we were dead by the time the day was over. We only carried like two at a time via a wagon from his front yard to his back yard and even that was exhausting dragging 160 lbs per load. At 80 bags... yeah I might look into just getting a truck delivery
>>
>>1613724
That's 7 pallets.
>>
>>1613724

i estimate it would take about 16 hours of non stop mixing

probably about 3 days in reality, because youre going to have to take breaks for food/water/sleep.

go buy a couple bags and mix them by hand and if you are still even considering doing the rest, give it a shot
>>
>>1610869
im not a sci-tard but the same physics that allow you to refill a jet lighter from a gas canister would save you in this circumstance? they both clearly have different capacities (like 1ml vs 500ml). im sure theres something like gas is only under pressure in different atmospheres, eg, theres no 'pressure' when filling an lpg tank since its not compressing, just transferring
>>
>>1613730
Just pour two bags in the post hole and add water and mix with a stick. Who gives a fuck what it's going to look like underground?
>>
>>1613724
>Should I just get a truck delivery?
Yes. Are you doing a driveway?
>>
>>1614636
>and mix with a stick
you don't even have to mix it - just dump it in and pour water on it until there is a puddle on top
>>
How do I disassemble and thoroughly clean and restore my Leatherman super tool? Imagine I live on the street and don't know shit, please, because I don't know what good chemicals or tools to use for the job.
I also need to bend the Flathead back into good shape.
>>
>>1614666
>Leatherman tool, can't even be used to fix itself.
Multi-tool fags btfo.
>>
>>1614668
Can you fuck off with your consumer identity bullshit? I'm here to learn.
>>
>>1610850
The steel propane minis are like $4 at Home Depot and Lowes, and are recycleable once empty.
There are canned soups that cost more and have way less metal in the can.
Plus, the bad effects such as a fire or gas explosion from a leaking bottle, or improper refill are way worse than just recycling hastle.
>>
>>1614666
Satan trips confirm that Leatherman are the devil.
>>
>>1614668
Same reason I only buy 2 sharpies
>>
File: bigsnoz.jpg (199 KB, 1500x696)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>1610846
Yea. i use this thingy. its called a snozzle. I'm sure one of the chinkshit copies would work also, this one just has a safety valve inside it.
>>
Is there any application/website/program that I can see if my layout of gearwheels will actually function before I fab and build the unit?
>>
File: 1.jpg (17 KB, 350x350)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1610846
How do i create wrought iron and then lamps?
What kind of iron do i need?
>>
>>1616065
https://geargenerator.com/

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.