[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 45 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1554154192170.webm (2.73 MB, 800x450)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB WEBM
You suck at flying edition

Old thread:

>>1577583

In /rcg/ we discuss anything & everything remote controlled - multirotors, fixed wing, cars, rovers, helis, boats, submarines, battlebots, lawnmowers, etc.

>How do I get started with racing drones?

https://oscarliang.com/mini-quad-racing-guide/

https://www.fpvknowitall.com/ultimate-fpv-shopping-list/

> How to build a racing drone (16 part video series from Joshua Bardwell)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwoDb7WF6c8mWARrcxtX_G6yytK7QFHID

>What about planes?

https://www.flitetest.com/

>What about aerial photography, is DIY viable?

Buy a DJI if what you actually want is to take good photos/videos, go DIY if what you actually want is a fun project.

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly around my yard/garden

Syma X5C

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly inside my house

Eachine E010/Hubsan X4

>What are some good YouTube channels for learning or fun?

Joshua Bardwell - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3eufnI7A2I7IkKHZn8KSQ
Painless360 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1vASX-fg959vRc1xowqpw
Flite Test - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9zTuyWffK9ckEz1216noAw
Peter Sripol - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yF9tV4xWEMZkel7q8La_w
7demo7 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTa02ZJeR5PwNZK5Ls3EQGQ
ArxangelRC - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG_c0DGOOGHrEu3TO1Hl3AA
RagTheNutsOff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWP6vjgBw1y15xHAyTDyUTw
>>
>>1588935
that actually looks really good imo considering the camera and lighting
>>
Is the TS100 actually a good soldering iron, or is the size just nifty? My current iron takes like 10 minutes to get to a temperature good enough to desolder 12ga wire, and for whatever reason the tips keep disintegrating. What are some other suggestions for $40-$60?
>>
>>1589238
>My current iron takes like 10 minutes to get to a temperature good enough to desolder 12ga wire

Literally any regulated iron will be better. Unregulated irons, by their nature, take forever to get up to temperature, and hold it poorly when dealing with bigger joints.

Personally, I have one of the cheap-o hot-air/soldering station combos (852D+, specifically). Works okay, cords could definitely stand to be longer, though. Not sure I'd recommend it, but I don't regret spending what I did on it.
>>
>>1589257
So the Aoyue 469 Bardwell recommends should work? I assume my previous irons burnt out the tip because they were as cheap as the iron, that shit is honestly half the reason I want a new one. Have to replace the tip every other build.
>>
>>1589135
>irresponsible douchebag webm edition

You're exactly the sort of people this hobby doesn't need.
>>
>>1589340
Are you the pussy that said building an X Class is ruining the hobby?

I agree with you on the building dive.
>>
>>1589343
>Are you the pussy that said building an X Class is ruining the hobby?

No, I think big stuff like that & the big silly builds Flite Test do are fun. I wouldn't tear them around my local play park though, like the anon complaining about them in the previous thread seemed to think people were gonna do.
>>
>>1589351
Oh good. Yea I told the guy I have acres of emtpy land a few times, dude acts like Im gonna go to the dog park with it for shits and giggles.

At that the X Class I was planning on starting with was gonna be 6s with some cheap racerstar 4114 motors, Id be lucky if it could fly 60mph.
>>
File: output.webm (2.11 MB, 640x480)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB WEBM
>>1589135
>You suck at flying edition
I do
>>
>>1589354
It always sounds so good when you do that though, same with lamp posts :)
>>
>>1589354
Don't feel bad, I'm not too great either, nowhere around me with shit to fly through other than a wall behind my house and that's a bit too risky. I need to just build some race gates or go to a place with more trees to practice more. As of this point in my adventure in this hobby I enjoy building more than flying.
>>
>>1589354
10/10 post, well flown, anon
Keep up the good work, you'll get there
>>
File: IMG_20190403_202115.jpg (3.29 MB, 3456x4608)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
>>1589257
it is expensive for what it is, doesnt come with a power supply, and you only get one tip and the extras run you ~$15.

that being said i absolutely love my ts100

>>1589340
no worries, you're exactly the sort of people i would never associate with to begin with

>>1589343
i sat there for 30 minutes waiting for the perfect all clear moment, i dont see the issue as long as you take proper precautions. you cant fly anywhere without liability.
>>
>>1589353
only 6s? even the "beast" classes i know of all run 12s
>>
>>1589516
>i sat there for 30 minutes waiting for the perfect all clear moment, i dont see the issue as long as you take proper precautions.

There is clearly a busy road just the other side of the building. If anything went wrong (a failsafe, a bug in Betaflight or RX firmware, whatever) you could easily have ended up smashing into the windscreen of a moving car.

The problem with people like you is that you are apparently completely oblivious to huge & super fucking obvious dangers that any sane & responsible person would immediately recognise & then not even consider flying. Either that or you just don't care, which is no less deplorable.

>no worries, you're exactly the sort of people i would never associate with to begin with

Thank fuck for that.
>>
>>1589382
Probably not. That crash snapped the frame's left front arm and somehow blew up the flight controller. Camera and RX still seem to work though, somehow.

...and Amazon is out of stock on replacements, so it'll be a few weeks till I can get something from China.
>>
>>1589135
So how many aviation laws did you violate there
>>
>>1589631
none. it's seattle, a lawless land. come visit some time.

>>1589573
the road is so far from the building if a failsafe occured it wouldnt even come remotely close. lrn2physics. i even had two spotters with me. i take proper precautions, ive done things like this countless times and never injured anyone, destroyed property etc. the only thing that allows people to do things like this repeatdely is NOT being oblivious. and like i said you cant fly without some sort of liability issue. you are a recessive gene'd risk adverse person and you probably wouldnt get along with most people in this hobby anyways
>>
>>1589646
>i take proper precautions

No, you don't. If you did, you wouldn't have these incriminating videos to share.

If you're going to be an irresponsible asshole at least own it, don't spout bullshit about being safe.
>>
>>1589657
i have had cops want to see through the goggles while flying in the city. youre the only person that cares dude. well i guess you and every tenth old white woman walking their dog
>>
>>1589665
Grats, your cops are utter morons completely unfit for their jobs.
>>
>>1589684
This is a retarded argument. While I disagree with him diving buildings in such a cramped area it's actually not illegal in most places. If it was 90% of the popular youtubers would have incriminated themselves 13x over. Like it or not he is taking more precautions than most as well. I would just say if he absolutely has to get shots of dated tricks he needs to wait until the weekend when big offices like this are scarcely populated. Either way, hes gonna fuck up someday and the price hes gonna pay for smashing a window on a skyscraper or fucking up someone's Mercedes is going to be hilarious.
>>
File: ffsfaa.png (51 KB, 1128x464)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>1589686
>it's actually not illegal in most places

Except it is.

>If it was 90% of the popular youtubers would have incriminated themselves 13x over.

They have.

Fact is, the aviation authorities in most countries don't have the resources to chase people doing dumb shit with drones, until they actually screw up & hit some poor bystander in the face or cause a multi vehicle pileup on the freeway, because they're too busy dealing with much more important things like general aviation. In many countries (including the UK) the aviation authorities have resorted to offloading enforcement of drone infractions to the police, who simply don't know the rules or don't appreciate the dangers of drones, which leads to the alluded scenario of the cops asking to look through the goggles rather than slapping on the cuffs.

Even when Casey Neistat was uploading videos every single day to 10+ million subscribers of him flying Phantoms over busy roads & crowds of people in the middle of no fly zones of central New York City, the FAA didn't give two shits. It took years of him doing it & eventually loosing control of a drone & crashing it _on camera_ in a busy NYC street before they actually took action.
>>
>>1589684
no shit, welcome to the usa

>>1589686
>dated tricks
maybe reserve that "insult" for every kid who films themselves doing a pop shuv-it or kickflip

>Either way hes gonna fuck up someday
unlikely, but sure the possibility is there

>hes gonna pay for smashing a window on a skyscraper or fucking up someone's Mercedes is going to be hilarious.

this is seattle. on the weekend in the city? MAYBE i buzz a dope sick junkie. and nothing of value would be lost.
>>
>>1589692
You reported Casey Neistat to the FAA? That's actually fucking hilarious, even if you are a bootlicking snitch.
>>
>>1589692
>except it is

That image literally says the filmed "evidence" does not substantiate a violation of FAA regulations?
>>
>>1589135

I can sympathize with the complainers that your flight might lead to more regulation, but that's one cool flight to a no-dronze guy like me.
>>
>>1589692

>The investigation could not substantiate a violation of an FAA regulation, rule or standard.

Even the FFA doesnt give a fuck, give it up dude.
>>
>>1589695
Not me, that just got shared around. With the number of views he got, I expect he got reported by a ton of people that didn't want to see this hobby ruined for everybody.

>>1589696
Read again - their investigation didn't find anything wrong because they don't care about YouTube videos, only if you saw it in person.
>>
File: 1554154897634.webm (2.93 MB, 720x405)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>1589698
thank-you! i encourage you to pick up your soldering iron and start now before some irresponsible asshole ruins the hobby for everyone
>>
>>1589696
It says you can't use "electronic media as a sole means to substantiate the complaint, you or a witness must personally." Meaning "your video alone is not enough, but if you made up a story about seeing the bad drone, we would take you more seriously as we do nothing."
>>
>>1589700
Which FAA rule says you cant dive buildings? Last time I checked up on the else laws, which was November of 2018 the only buildings you couldn't fly over were sports stadiums, government buildings, and airports. Hell you can fly over private property if you want to, just can't go get the drone when it crashes.

I'm 99% positive skyscraper diving is completely legal, only thing about that is the FAA expects you to have you registration number on the drone to find you when you do go through a window. Which hardly any of us register so...
>>
>>1589701
>the road is so far from the building

In this one you're literally right next to it & even fly directly over it at the start. Fuck me sideways you're so full of shit.

The really sad thing is these videos aren't even any good.
>>
File: irresponsible.webm (2.25 MB, 1280x720)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB WEBM
>>1589704
and get this it cuts right before i crashed into the road causing a 20 car pile up and multiple fatalities.

what's it like being a human dial tone
>>
>>1589703
>I'm 99% positive skyscraper diving is completely legal,

Except skyscrapers tend to be in cities, which tend to be blanketed in airspace restrictions that make flying drones illegal. OP says his videos were in Seattle, picrelated sure doesn't make it look legal.
>>
>>1589706
I'm not the guy arguing with you but at least post some new webms. these were all in the last thread
>>
File: machine.webm (1.11 MB, 1920x1080)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB WEBM
>>1589709
im actually working on making some new webms right now
>>
>>1589708
Thats not a regulation against building diving, those are usually helipad restricted airspace which is usually just dont fly above 400 feet. Like I said I dont really condone diving buildings like that but if you want to bring restricted airspace into this most of us would never get to fly.
>>
>>1589712
If you want a regulation that's specifically against building diving, the overarching FAA rule that says you should "never operate in a careless or reckless manner" when flying a drone certainly applies.

>>1589710
Congratulations, you made a shaky 2 second video of you turning a radio on?
>>
>>1589719
Not either of the people you're replying to, but you're just being pedantic and not contributing any content whatsoever which is kind of pathetic.
>>
>>1589719
>never operate in a careless or reckless manner
Funny enough that same regulation says you can fly higher than 400 feet if you are within 400 feet of a building. So basically no fly zones don't apply to tall structure because manned aircraft are supposed to fly a few hundred feet above the buildings. All things considered it comes down to the FAAs definition of careless flying, which they have not directly addressed concerning building dives. Like it or not the only laws against diving skyscrapers are usually city laws and they are scarce.
>>
>>1589725
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the FAA almost certainly considers the sort of crap like OP's video as reckless.
>>
>>1589723
Making sure that people who come across this thread realise that flying like that isn't okay doesn't seem pathetic to me.
>>
>>1589843
Thats why rotor riot and steele do it in every other video.
>>
>>1589868
Rotor Riot are one of the few who have actually landed in legal trouble, they ended up paying something like $30k fines for their ridiculous bridge diving stunt.
>>
>>1589868
It won't make you any less of an idiot.
>>
>>1589915
Just incase you're too stupid to figure this out, Ill let you in on a secret. An active busy and incredibly crowded highway, is not a fucking skyscraper you ignorant fuck. Thats at least the second time you've cited entirely different incidents/regulations. Yes flying over a bridge is stupid, and yes diving buildings is probably equally as stupid. But like it or not its not illegal and if you think people doing it runs a bigger risk of ruining our hobby than all 95% of us who don't register our quads you're dumber than the guy posting the videos.
>>
>>1589923
>An active busy and incredibly crowded highway, is not a fucking skyscraper

OP literally posted a video of him flying over a busy road to get to the skyscraper right next to it.

>But like it or not its not illegal

Except it almost certainly is, because anybody with half a brain cell realises it constitutes 'reckless'.

Just because there isn't a specific regulation in the US that says 'you may not dive buildings with a race quad' doesn't mean there aren't umpteen other more general regulations it falls foul of that make it illegal. I honestly don't understand how you can't see that. There's no specific rule that says I can't make muffins in my Easy-Bake Oven on the passenger seat of my truck while driving down the highway, but that doesn't make it legal.
>>
>>1589933
Find me 1 instance of building diving being illegal other than city ordnance or a sign that says no drones. If the FAA considers that reckless flying they could easily crack down on every single YouTube personality that does it regularly. Protip, you can't, in fact as I already mentioned recent regulations have made it more acceptable than it used to be.
>>
>>1589933
>There's no specific rule that says I can't make muffins in my Easy-Bake Oven on the passenger seat of my truck while driving down the highway, but that doesn't make it legal.

Why would that be illegal? As long as you're not tending to it instead of driving your car I would think you could bake non-alcoholic muffins while driving.
>>
>>1589936
>If the FAA considers that reckless flying they could easily crack down on every single YouTube personality that does it regularly.

This has already been covered in >>1589692 & the Casey Neistat & Rotor Riot examples are perfect demonstrations of this situation.

>>1589940
>As long as you're not tending to it

That's what I meant.
>>
>>1589947
Except both of those cases were them flying over roads and crowds of people, not diving a building. Always room for a 3rd desperate attempt to validate your argument huh?
>>
"Laws are gay." - Aristotle
>>
File: wee.webm (2.78 MB, 960x540)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>1590064
Diving a building right next to a road. A road that OP flew over to get to the building. But sure, completely different scenarios.
>>
>>1590094
We aren't talking about the road, never were, flying over crowds and traffic is illegal, diving a building is not.
>>
>>1590100
This sure is circular. Flying recklessly is illegal, diving buildings in a city centre close to busy roads is reckless. If you don't see that, you have my condolences for your disability.
>>
>>1590102
>my condolences for your disability
Says the retard that cant read.

I was never talking about roads, made that pretty apparent multiple times. Yes flying over a road is reckless, but I have been talking about strictly diving a building this entire time. OP only flew over a road in 1 of his videos, and as Ive said before if you want to cite every single slight possibility as reckless flying this entire hobby needs to be banned.

Christ sake someone post something about a fucking quad, preferably not some retarded idea like ducting a 10 inch prop or making a blimp out of IKEA bags.
>>
>>1590110
>if you want to cite every single slight possibility as reckless

No, I simply point out the ones that are super fucking obviously reckless. I honestly can't understand how your judgement is so fundamentally impaired.
>>
>>1590118
An above average number of every FPV video Ive ever seen is flying around a school, office building, warehouse, whatever. These machines are highly maneuverable and 99% of us wouldn't fly around something we know we cant handle. Those that do crash into a column and go home with a broken quad with absolutely nothing else gained or lost. You seem to be under the impression that the FAA thinks anything fun is reckless which they clearly don't. Funny enough there are current proposals to new regulations that would enable us and professional flyers to fly over crowds and at night.

Its hilarious that the only one impaired here is you.
>>
>>1590118

DID YOU SEE THIS ASSHOLE >>1590088 FLYING NEAR HOUSES AND PEOPLE AND CARS. CALL THE FBI.
>>
>>1590128
>99% of us wouldn't fly around something we know we cant handle.

Yet we have videos like these.

>You seem to be under the impression that the FAA thinks anything fun is reckless which they clearly don't.

You're literally not even reading, are you? >>1589947

>Funny enough there are current proposals to new regulations that would enable us and professional flyers to fly over crowds and at night.

Not with race quads with zero redundancies (or even GPS failsafe, in the case of >>1589516 by the looks of it).
>>
>>1590133
>yet we have videos like these
>anon could clearly handle what he was doing, didnt get anywhere near the building
>he has no idea what Im talking about
Can you just use a trip code or some shit already so I can filter you, theres no way you arent a troll.
>>
>>1590133
>yet we have videos like these
OP caused no harm, your argument is shit.

The fact is it takes competence to get in the air in the first place, you can't be a brainlet in this hobby. The average FPV pilot is far less of a societal risk than say your average skateboarder.
>>
>>1590142

Or even your average motorist. And there arent even "failsafes" or "redundancy" on most vehicles.
>>
>>1590139
>anon could clearly handle what he was doing

Until he had a failsafe, or a component failure, or some other idiot decided to dive the building on the other side & powered up on the same channel, etc. while he was nearly 800ft up in the middle of a city. If you don't understand that, you really are completely hopeless.

>>1590142
>The fact is it takes competence to get in the air in the first place

No, it really doesn't. All it takes is 20 minutes in LiftOff & then buying a Wizard from Banggood. Hell if you stick to angle mode you wouldn't even need the sim time.
>>
I got a Tello.
Now what?
>>
>>1590151
Play around with DroneBlocks maybe?
>>
>>1590149
Like I already said, you're considering every single rare possibility, if you're gonna do that flying at all is reckless. The fact you think thered actually be another pilot on the other side of that building proves how pointlessly paranoid you are about this. This is definitely not the hobby for you, perhaps stick to those little toy cars.

>Wizard
>making it more than 50 feet off the ground
Idiot.
>>
>>1590155
>you're considering every single rare possibility

No, I'm really not. Failsafing on a 2.4GHz control link (which >>1589516 obviously is) when in the middle of a city full of WiFi routers is not at all rare.

>Wizard
>making it more than 50 feet off the ground

You're not even trying, are you?
>>
File: ouch.webm (1.33 MB, 320x240)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB WEBM
>>1590155
i already tried saying it's impossible to fly without some sort of liability issue, but i'm getting the impression he's the sort of guy who wouldn't walk across a street without some lines and a light guiding him.

inb4 "b-b-b-ut you're RUINING being pedestrian for EVERYONE"
>>
>>1590158
Im bored with this, you are incredibly daft. The way you look at things we shouldn't be flying whatsoever.
>>
>>1590158
im not on 2.4, why would you say that its obvious? your confirmation bias almost exceeds your utter stupidity
>>
>>1590162
Funny enough that's exactly what I was thinking, those antennas could easily be crossfire or R9. Hes already made it quite clear he just assumes his entire argument for the sake of the argument.
>>
>>1590165
full size TBS crossfire module with a diversity nano receiver. he's a troll.

can we talk about kwads now?
>>
>>1590161
If you honestly can't distinguish a difference in terms of risk/liability between diving 800ft buildings in a busy city centre & flying around a park/abandoned factory/whatever then I have no idea how you even have the mental faculty to use a keyboard.

>>1590162
Because those look a lot like 2.4GHz antennas. I'd be surprised if you were running 900MHz diversity considering you're using absolute bottom of the barrel components everywhere else (those anaemic Racerstar motors, that $20 Martian frame, etc.).
>>
>>1590154
The what?
>>
>>1590169
Use your words, child.
>>
>>1590168
you are correct about the motors and frame, but wrong about everything else.

32 bit metal mosfet escs with a cap on each one, rush tank vtx, foxeer falkor, f7 flight controller

also while i agree the motors leave something to be desired, the martian is hardly a bottom of the barrel frame. its one of the best, the workhorse of the hobby imo.

but yeah i guess its not a superior nasa grade carbon fiber armattan marmotte lmao
>>
File: Ohwow.jpg (38 KB, 562x437)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1590172
>martian
>one of the best

It's good for a cheap & cheerful frame, but don't kid yourself.
>>
>>1590173
it literally is though. based oscar liang even did an article recently saying its his go-to and he's never broken an arm despite throwing it through the gauntlet and i attest to the same experience. turns out carbon fiber is not some magic material only white people know how to make.
>>
>>1590176
>turns out carbon fiber is not some magic material only white people know how to make.

Who even says this? All the carbon in our hobby comes from China. Apart from that Armattan stuff & we all know how good that is...
>>
>>1590179
im just referring to people constantly shitting on chinese clones because somehow the "quality" of the originals is better by the virtue of being made in the usa. it's retarded. the marmotte release disaster proves my point.
>>
Chameleon Ti, best one you can get.
If you want replaceable arms then the Rooster is a good compromise.
>>
>>1590182
best you can get, maybe. i've heard that a lot, but never gotten a chance to fly an armattan frame. but is it worth the hefty price when considering alternatives? i'd rather use the 100 dollars saved for other components that matter to me more
>>
>>1590185
Look for rebates, if there is an older non-Ti Chameleon is available somewhere it will go cheap. That is how I got mine.
>>
>>1590182
Armattan frames are $50 frames at best with a $25 warranty and $25 name. Only an idiot would spend $100 on a frame instead of just buying 2 or 3 of the clones and replacing parts when/if they break.
>>
>>1590181
>somehow the "quality" of the originals is better by the virtue of being made in the usa

How many originals are actually made in the USA? All my Hyperlite stuff definitely comes from China. I wouldn't even be surprised if my Super G+ came from China.
>>
I charged the Tello, it flies, lands in my hand and that is all.
Why is this hobby so boring?
>>
>>1590251
Because you bought a quad that takes pictures and flies itself?
>>
>>1590262
What else should it do?
>>
>>1590251
>>1590270
The Tello is primarily a learning resource for children to learn the basics of coding, via things like the aforementioned DroneBlocks software. If that's not what you really wanted, maybe see if you can return it & invest in something that fits your wants better?
>>
>>1590270
dive buildings.
>>
>>1590281
Fits my what? I am sorry, I can't understand you
>>
>>1590291
You say the Tello is boring. Why? What do you want your drone to do for it to be more fun?
>>
>>1590291
what did you want to do with it? The Tello is not a typical drone like we talk about here.
>>
>>1590283
kek
>>
>>1590222
ya know now that im reading more into it it seems they all are made in china, even armattan. i guess its more of an "intellectual property" (read: faggotry) issue then anything.
>>
>>1590251
you bought a toy off the shelf. we are talking about quadcopters you build yourself from parts. ya know... diy.
>>
>>1590309
What's the difference?
>>
File: Capture.png (456 KB, 1234x553)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
Is the Turnigy Evolution a good first radio?
I don't have plans to build a quad yet. I just want to practice in a sim, then later build my quad.
>>
>>1590335
from what i heard, its a fine radio especially for the price, but its "thumbers" only. many of the most skilled pilots recommend "pinching" which would be very difficult on this type of radio. if you dont have the money for an x9d, i would go for it anon.
>>
Noob here.
What do you think about flysky fs-i6 for Velocidrone?
>>
>>1590339
Thanks. Yeah that one is too much money. Got to even decide if I'm going to like the hobby or not.
>>
>>1590335
>>1590339
There is now an Evolution Pro that (amongst other things) moves/changes the screen to make it better for pinchers. However the price puts it too close to the QX7 which is a far better radio all round. I presume the original Evolution is now discontinued, which is why it's selling for £22.78 (which is insanely cheap) from the global warehouse.

>>1590306
Afaik Chris Leroux (the guy behind Armattan) has lived in Taiwan for ages & it's always been a Taiwanese company.

>>1590340
Does it have USB? If not you have to buy an extra adapter to mess around with.
>>
>>1590352
No, it doesn't have and usb but i saw the schematics and can simply build an adapter for "free" using my scraps
>>
>>1590353
Actually, the original Turnigy Evolution has native USB & is even cheaper than the FS-i6 right now.
>>
Betaflights new configurator is finally out 10.5.0

https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight-configurator/releases/tag/10.5.0

This means that the release of 4.0 firmware should drop anytime.
>>
Related question.
What is a good sim?

Got a free one off steam.
>>
>>1590340
dont buy that piece of shit, spend a tiny bit more and get an x-lite you will be happy with for a long time. its excellent for sims and doesnt require an adaptor. or go with the turnigy idk
>>
>>1590363
liftoff (on steam) or velocidrone (not on steam)
>>
>>1590367
I've also heard good things about the DRL sim, which supposedly has made made massive improvements recently.
>>
>>1590363

GTA 5 has a fun quadcopter mod.
>>
>>1589701
>i encourage you to pick up your soldering iron and start now before some irresponsible asshole ruins the hobby for everyone

You mean like this one?

https://youtu.be/Wn6NYg3_vzo?t=251

The quad failsafe'd suddenly for practically no reason doing the same as you are in this webM.

This could have easily killed someone walking by or really fucked up a car. Either one of those could have been the last straw for the survival of the hobby.

Don't get me wrong, I think the regs are bullshit, and fucking hate the AMA. But building diving is dangerous and it only takes one mistake to destroy the hobby.

Especially since we have retarded ATC guys, Pilots, and AMA FUDDs all after us. They tend to have money to throw at things too.
>>
File: Capture.png (35 KB, 1228x471)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
I bought the Turnigy Evolution.

And some drill bits I needed for free shipping.

I wanted mode 2, but it was too much for free shipping from Hong Kong and shipping was $20. I'll just swap the sticks.
>>
>>1590403
A 14 year old girl was killed by a gas engine RC plane in 2003, another man by a helicopter in the same year. Couple other deaths and serious injuries have happened in the lady 10 years, nothing came of it. Steele shouldn't have been trying that on 2.4ghz but that was late day, probably a weekend, 1 car and zero pedestrians go by in that entire video.

Stop being a bitch.
>>
>>1590445
Getting killed at an RC field with the AMA blessing is not the same as getting killed walking down the street by a falling piece of aluminum and carbon fiber.

One is seen as a "freak accident" and the other "those damn kids being reckless".

I'm not saying it should be this way, but remember the FUDDs are in control. They're the ones we have to deal with.

If I had it my way It would be legal to fly wherever and however you wish.

I literally can't fly anywhere in my town because a bunch of faggots registered their (10 acre) "Ranches" as airstrips with the FAA and disconnected the phone they registered with out of response to a 10 year old crashing a v911 into someone's windchime.

They cited that video specifically.
>>
>>1590454
The girl killed in 2003 was just walking through a park and got hit in the head.

As I said earlier if most FPV pilots obeyed no fly zones hardly any of us would get to fly. Private registered airstrips and helipads dont apply the same restrictions as an actual airport.
>>
>>1590467
I'm not saying obey no-fly zones.
I'm saying don't get your quad going terminal velocity right over a sidewalk in an urban area.

Everything else is pretty meh unless a crowd is involved.

Also:
>Private registered airstrips and helipads dont apply the same restrictions as an actual airport.

Incorrect. Registered helipads and airstrips are treated as private airports by the FAA.
If they're on the national airmap, they must be notified and can deny you flight within 5 miles.

This applies to PPG pilots too.
>>
>>1590473
The FAA has specifically said that helipads and private airstrips with little traffic do not have to be notified as long as you keep an eye out for aircraft and land should you see one. This also specifically applies to small air strips/pads without towers.
>>
>>1590483
Not sure where you heard that, but if they show up on the official sectional, it's an "airport". Period.
Per the regs, all unlicensed traffic must notify the airport of operations in their radius.
This applies to PPG, ultralights, and sUAS pilots. Tower or not. Public or not.

Licensed traffic has to file a flight plan so this isn't an issue for them.

The regs not only state this (336 is not the only reg you have to follow, it references others), but the B4Ufly app lists these places and FAA regional offices too.

t. an actual pilot
>>
>>1590493
>Q: I live near a heliport. Can I fly near it?

>A: Yes. But, if you are within five miles of it, you can fly only if it is safe to do so, you do not interfere with manned aircraft, you see and avoid manned aircraft at all times, and you have notified the operator of the heliport and resolved any safety concerns.

My mistake they do have to be notified, you do not however need their permission unless its a high traffic actual airport.

Thats on the FAAs official FAQ about the topic. Privately registered airstrips fall under the same circumstance unless they see heavy traffic and have a tower. They also mention regarding the Flight Map that only the red areas are straight up restricted airspace. Orange areas unless otherwise specified only have to be notified, no permission is required. They simply say you have to be aware of any oncoming aircraft and avoid them.
>>
>>1590502
Permission isn't required but they can object if they deem it "unsafe" to their operations. This could be anything.
Even "well I might fly in that area depending on how my bones feel so eat it, bitch".

While not illegal to fly technically, you could see "reckless endangerment" charges for ignoring their objection.

'Cause, you know, no "airport" would ever lie about something being unsafe for their own gain or anything.
>>
>>1590507
True but randomly registered flight strips in the middle of a ranch would have absolutely no case in that matter, especially if you were never over their land, and never over 400 feet.

New topic, is Drone Mesh a shill? Banggood has some Blheli_32 35a ESCs on sale right now for 7.99 a piece and the only major channel I can find having covered them is Drone Mesh.
>>
>>1590365
> A tiny bit more

130$ vs 35$
>>
>>1590356
Will it be usable when i'll upgrade from the simulator to a real drone?
>>
>>1590339
>>1590335
Real men don't care about pinching, when I fly I draw blood, no exceptions. Get it, you won't find anything better at that price. The one closest is the Frsky Q-X7 and the X-Lite.
Thumbers rule!
>>
>>1590574
You can use it for fixed wing as well for some extent. Obviously the more advanced mixing functions for gliders and big motor aircraft are missing since the Turnigy Evo is primarily a racing drone Tx, but it is a good little Tx, especially if you want to start out with multirotors.
>>
>>1590648
I want to use it for a racing drone, so i guess it's okay
>>
>>1590573
the i6 i thought was $50 and the x-lite i bought brand new was $100, maybe 2x is not a tiny bit more but i was speaking relative to the cost of other things in this hobby. the last thing you want to cheap on is your radio transmitter.
>>
>>1590734
doesnt the turnigy evo have its own protocol and receivers? thats why i would stay away
>>
>>1590749
The evo uses the same flysky protocol that most low cost radios use(AFHDS/AFHDS2A)
You could argue that FrSky protocol is a little more popular, but both get the job done absolutely fine, and flysky/turnigy is way cheaper.

>>1590340
I would also suggest taking a look at the Jumper T12 lineup, they come with multiprotocol modules, that you can bind practically anything into, and it is OpenTX compatible.
Overall one of the most versatile radiosystems, and about the same price as a flysky i6/whatever. Also, when you upgrade to a more serious some day, you can just transfer the multiprotocol module to your new radio, and still be able to bind to practically anything.
>>
>>1590789
>>1590340
Also forgot to mention that it supports usb hid of course, so you can save a few bucks not having to buy/diy a dongle.
>>
>>1590749
Just checked, the Rx options for the Tgy Evo are not very good. Anon is better off with an FrSky Xlite or X7 so he can use the small long range 2.4GHz receivers and can even have the extended module option and use the R9 system.
>>
>>1590796
Everything is relative. Yes, FrSky would be better, but right now you can literally buy an Evolution bundled with a receiver for nearly the same price as _just one FrSky receiver_.
>>
>>1590823
That receiver is huge, even bigger than my deboxed Delta8. He will have a big difficulty fitting that thing in any 5'' kwad
>>
Betaflight 4.0 is live boys
>>
>>1590836
meh... ill wait for 4.1
>>
>>1590836
Is that an HDO or just an HD3?
Also it doesn't have a diversity VRx and those old spironet antennas are meh.
>>
did anyone see the insta thots on kebab's channel opening a beer with a kwad

pretty friggin ebic
>>
File: 1459611659279.jpg (31 KB, 353x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1590836
STOP
>>
File: TGY-iA6C-1.jpg (108 KB, 749x566)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>1590835
What are you talking about? It comes with a TGY-iA6C. It's not R-XSR small, but nobody is going to struggle to fit it into a Martian or whatever.
>>
>>1590845
>>1590835
i was thinking the same thing about the size issue. the x4rsb i own personally and can say compared to more modern receivers it is pretty hefty, but not unworkable. i would be more worried about the protocol itself not being as reliable as tried and true frsky
>>
>>1590849
I used an X8R in my first 5" quad (along with a huge FatShark 250mW VTX) & even that wasn't an issue in a ZMR. As long as newbies don't try to build super tight pod builds & stick to easy first builds like Martians etc. the size of the receiver really shouldn't be one of their concerns.
>>
Betaflight 4.0 introduces:
RPM controlled multiple dynamic notch filtering over bi-directional DShot, to markedly improve motor noise suppression, reducing filter delay time
Launch Control, allows a pilot to hold a specified angle precisely and accurately for the perfect race launch
D_min, which dynamically adjusts the PID D parameter according to stick movement
Dynamic lowpass filtering, to improve noise control at low rpm and reduce filter delay time at high rpm
Improved dynamic notch code, with better tracking and better noise rejection with less delay,
D-only TPA, to selectively reduce D related noise at high throttle and maintain normal P responsiveness
Integrated yaw, an experimental option which mathematically integrates the yaw PID values, potentially simplifying yaw tuning
Improved setpoint mode iterm_relax, intended to improve turn accuracy during spirals and slaloms - for racers
Transient throttle limit, which improves noise behaviour at low and high throttle by preventing refected noise from doubling up and becoming distorted
Improved yaw PIDs, with a better understanding of how to tune yaw
Improved dynamic notch code has been improved to better track and suppress motor noise with less delay, using two closely spaced, narrower notches
Other flight-related changes include:

Absolute control has been improved but is not enabled by default. It can produce some wobbles if not tuned right.
Iterm_rotation is disabled by default
PID defaults have been changed slightly
>>
File: IMG_6054 1.jpg (1.75 MB, 4032x3024)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
I engineer and pilot underwater drones (ROVs), AMA.
>>
>>1590882
why does my life suck so bad
>>
>>1590883
Honestly? Because you're on 4chan at 3:30 on a Thursday afternoon hiding from your entirely solvable problems, emotionally making them worse than they really are, instead of putting in the effort to get out there and achieve your goals.

...at least you're on /diy/ and not /b/ or a hentai board, so that's a start!
>>
>>1590882
How do you make waterproof motors and what do you fill the ROVs with so that water pressure doesn't crush them? Would it be ok if I simply filled a ROV with silicone oil or do I need aditional components for it to work?
>>
>>1590886
not him but as far as i know brushless motors themselves are already waterproof. its just copper and magnets.
>>
>>1590886
Brushless motors are already waterproof, the windings that look like bare wire are actually lacquered/enameled wire.
>>
File: IMG_9880.jpg (3.32 MB, 4032x3024)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
>>1590886
>waterproof motors
Either sealed in housings with rotary shaft seals (or magnetic couplers if you want to overengineer things)
OR
Run coated/potted brushless motors open to the water. The latter option works surprisingly well if you get the coatings right. For wet running designs see OpenROV, BlueRobotics, and Hydromea. The oldschool way to do small hobby projects is boat bilge pump cartridge motors with model boat props on them. They're good to about 60 feet. see homebuiltrovs.com for that.

>what do you fill rovs with to make them pressure proof
Regular mineral oil. That's the standard in everything from hobby projects to the Alvin submersible. The stuff from a pharmacy is fine. Protects electronics, prevents corrosion, makes things pressure proof, and isn't an environmental disaster if a little bit leaks. Get all the air bubbles out of it. And you'll want a flexible panel or hose to transfer the pressure. Alternatively, if you're not going beyond say 300 feet just make a good air filled housing, less messy when you need to open it. Pipes make surprisingly strong housings.

You can also pot/encapsulate with solid materials like epoxy, urethane, or silicone, but then it's semi-permanently sealed.
>>
>>1590896
But won't the salt water corrode the magnets/shaft?
>>
>>1590896
>Regular mineral oil
But it's impossible to remove it from electronics. Silicone oil can be removed with isopropyl alcohol.
>>
File: IMG_7229.jpg (1016 KB, 4032x3024)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
>>1590890
>>1590887
Not entirely true, they will last one or two runs but the coatings are not good enough to really run in water seriously. Especially salt water. You need to completely coat the magnets, stator, and all wire connections in a good epoxy. If there's a full short in saltwater the motors will destroy themselves in minutes. Plus the cheap ballbearings seize up from rust, the bearings should be replaced with thrust bearings or little PTFE bushings or something.
>>
>>1590902
>or little PTFE bushings
How about ceramic bearings? PTFE bushings wear out quickly
>>
>>1590902
Good to know. Thanks, anon. You should post here more often.
>>
>>1590902
I've known people to run cheap brushless motors underwater for dozens upon dozens of runs with no problems - they just pop the bells off & rinse them in clean water afterwards. Not the ideal solution, but for quick & dirty, it sure works.
>>
>>1590885
based
>>
File: DSC05906.jpg (2.75 MB, 5472x3648)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>1590900
Magnets yes, coat them. Shaft should be stainless. And all of it carefully rinsed with fresh water after use anyway.

>>1590901
So what, leave it on. I agree that it is messy and annoying. Alcohol and other solvents do clean mineral oil up if you need to do a small area of rework. Any method to send electronics 1000' underwater cheaply using over the counter enema supplies is good in my book.

Strong air-filled housings are the other option if you expect to need to work on the electronics frequently.
>>
>>1590905
yes, works too, slightly trickier to custom diy.
>>
>>1590908
Yeah, if you're very diligent about rinsing them it could work for hobby stuff, especially if you're only running in fresh water environments. But it's not going to be reliable or long-lasting by any standard. And water is definitely going to get forced into the wires and ruin them. It sucks to get offshore, power up your shit, and realize it's fucked.
>>
I'm curious, do any of you own any of the recent off-the-shelf consumer underwater drones? If so what do you think of them?
>>
>>1590849
Yeah, in the club we had a number of those wonky 6ch turnigy receivers fail and die for no apparent reason, one did it in the middle of flight.
>>
>>1590912
Have you ever shot a shark with your ROV? How would you make a waterproof servo in order to pull the trigger on a spear gun?
>>
RPM filtering only works with 32 bit ESC's right now but in the future they might be able to support BL Heli S

So dont go out and replace your esc just yet for this new feature.
>>
File: DSC05899_1.jpg (3.16 MB, 3648x5472)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>1590927
Filmed with cameras yes. Shot no. Don't kill sharks. Sharks need protection, not shooting. Too many dumb fucks are scared of sharks and want to kill them all.

Haven' built an ROV speargun yet but it's definitely on the project list. Servo (if I use a servo and not a solenoid or something) would be sealed in a small housing with an o-ring seal on the shaft. Some people have tried to oil fill standard "water resistant" servos, not sure how well that works.
>>
>>1590917
>off-the-shelf
this is diy bro
>>
>>1590944
Pretty~
>>
Anyone ever used HAKRC stuff?
>>
>>1590944
Missed focus and the composition is basically nonexistent. It's like it was made by a sonyfaggot
>>
>>1591008
never heard of them. but it seems like new companies are popping up left and right. the chinks themselves move quickly in contrast to how they ship overseas

>>1590939
i want to all my kwads upgraded to 32 bit soley for the based programmable custom start up tones
>>
>>1591064
HAKRC has some BlHeli_32 ESCs on sale from Banggood for $8 a pop at the moment. Theres a couple videos covering them but the guy never put them on a quad. Honestly for $30 for 4 I think Im just gonna try them out, worst case scenario I sell/return 2 or 3 of them.
>>
>>1590964
XD good one, friend. Thanx 4 the karma. I am going to post this to r/murderedbywords for my fellow redditors.
>>
>>1591067
Well, Banggood is some bullshit and only allows 3 of these ESCs "per customer". I went ahead and placed 2 different orders of 2 because that was still cheaper than the 4 piece package they have for the same ESCs.They're either gonna not give a fuck and ship both orders, or cancel the second one and lose another customer.

Lets hope and see what happens.
>>
How are you guys powering your omnibus flight controller servo outputs. I just got one and was reading about it and I came across this forum saying I have to unsolder something in order to use my bec. Is that true? Can't they just be powered off the battery? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2874687-OMNIBUS-AIRBOT-F4-family-ESC_5V-Isolation
>>
>>1591064

You cant use custom start up tones if you run the RPM filter. They dont work together.
>>
>>1591067

Those ESC are very good. I saw testing of them and if I was gonna buy ESC I would get those.

But I have BL heli S and I will just wait till they are supported.
>>
I need ideas. How do I protect my carbon fiber arms from concrete strikes?

I dont want to buy or use 3D printed parts like motor protection pants.

Instead I want something I can paint onto the ends of the carbon fiber arms that will cushion the impact. Something like a silicone that you can paint on and drys would be ideal.

If it gets scuffed up from a concrete strike you can just paint more on.
>>
>>1591223
Thats retarded but whatever, plastidip?
>>
>>1590796
I could use this, what's your opinion?
https://m.banggood.com/it/Flit10-2_4G-10CH-Micro-Telemetry-Flysky-Compatible-Ibus-Receiver-for-FS-I6X-FS-i6S-Turnigy-Evolution-p-1260238.html
>>
>>1590796
Or this:
https://it-m.banggood.com/1_7g-Fli1414CH-Mini-Receiver-Compatible-Flysky-AFHDS-2A-w-RSSI-Output-for-FS-i6-FS-i10-Turnigy-I6S-p-1302715.html
>>
>>1591284
>>1591285
Not the guy you are replying to but supposedly the Flit receivers are pretty decent.
>>
>>1591285
This one seems like a short range indoor Rx

>>1591284
This one looks like longer range, has the BODA type antennas as well (don't know how well they are tuned) and might be longer range, but I'd doubt it could reach the 3-5km range of the normal FrSky system.

You must understand, range doesn't just mean how far you can go, it also means it has more power to punch through foliage so you don't lose signal at 100m behind a bush.
>>
>>1591288
>>1591291

Thank you, but i thing i'll avoid the Turnigy Evolution, i saw now that it cost 30$ but i need to pay 28$ for shipping on hobbyking
>>
>>1591292
To be completely honest even at $58 the evolution is the best transmitter you'll get around that price.
>>
>>1591295
Yeah i know, but i'm just starting this hobby.
I'm an engineer, i like more the fact that i can project and build a racing fpv drone rater than driving it.
I need a transmitter for learning how to fly it, because i don't want to destroy the real one i will build at the first time.
So i'm not willing to spend much for a thing that maybe i won't use.
>>
>>1591295
Honestly I started with a Turnigy and used an FrSky module right away, at the time it was as good or better than Futaba. It was a few years ago, just before the first KK multicopters become a thing, when you either got Futaba, Spektrum or Hitec and if you were an odd fellow, Multiplex. Now the most used system is FrSky.
When the gimbals wore out a year later I got an old beat up Futaba FF8 dinosaur to fly F3J competitions with, the gimbal, while had no bearings was feeling much much better.
A few months later I got my Aurora 9 and never looked back. It is a pure joy using this radio, just because the gimbals and ergonomics.
I fly mostly fixed wing BTW.
>>
>>1591303
>I'm an engineer
Look into building balsa/carbon gliders, there are a whole lot to think, plan and contemplate on, weeks before you even start. I have been looking into funky old school free fly competition gliders with RC conversion but I have to finish my thesis before I sink my entire free time into one.
something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuzvqGZqYhM
or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cQ-b8kwBSo
>>
>>1591307
Cool! Thank you
>>
>>1591309
For plans resources try www.outerzone.co.uk
And for first build go with a Gentle Lady
>>
>>1591223
check this video anon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdo4jctDV7w

you shouldnt need to protect it all that much, good carbon fiber in a well designed frame unprotected will take a thrashing before de-laminating

>>1591219
damn, that's disappointing actually. thanks for the heads up. do you know if its possible they will add the ability to run both in the future?
>>
>>1591139
Banggood shipped both orders today, so I suppose if anyone is on the market for some cheap supposedly good >>1591221 Blheli_32 ESCs HAKRC B32 35a are $7.99 per right now. As mentioned I had to place 2 different orders to get 4 of them but paying shipping twice was still cheaper than the $37.99 price for the 4 piece set.
>>
>>1591422

Yea carbon fiber repair, I was thinking about prevention.
>>
I updated one of my quads to 4.0 just now and gave it a test fly. I approve.

Its flying really nice.

With stock settings its flying about as good as my tuned 3.2.2 quads. The motors sound much more relaxed. They dont have the same kind of sound, its more like they are running easier.
>>
>>1591577
1mm plywood plate extending about 1-2mm over the CF ends, it can break off and scrape off, easy to replace. You can soak the edges in CA or thin laminating resin to make it stronger.
At least that is what I would do, cheap, easy to make, easy to replace, have material in abundance.
>>
Hey anons, quality thread

I'm wondering what drone manufacturers ship with ardupilot firmware. I've used skyviper stuff before but they're the only ones I know about and the 'official' list
http://ardupilot.org/ardupilot/docs/common-rtf.html#common-rtf
seems a bit dated. I don't have my ear to the ground of this industry so any advice would be appreciated.

To keep things DIY-related, I have a small field about 1.5 hours away from my home that I'd like to set up a drone-based automated monitoring system for. I have a small shed with power on the property that I want to construct a charging base for the drone on. I would imagine using automation to physically swap the battery on the drone would be overall less reliable than induction charging but I'm here for ideas! Any anons have success with induction charging setups with LiPo?

This is functionally what I want but way overbuilt since I already have a sheltering structure, just want to learn more about the drone/base interface.

https://www.skysense.co/skyport
>>
>>1591616
I'm not 100% positive but I dont think it's completely possible/reliable to induction charge LiPos as big as you would need for a large survey copter, and it definitely isnt safe. It would be a far better idea to, if nothing else, charge the batteries at home then send the craft to field from you house to conduct its survey. I'm not aware of anything DIY that ships with arducopter, but the Pixhawk series run it flawlessly after you flash and calibrate it yourself.

If you're serious about this sort of project ik going to assume you have a decent budget. So running on that assumption I would suggest the Pixhawk 2 with the Cube addition, the Cube adds a ton of redundancy to the craft. Slap 2 or 3 GPS units on it and telemetry with a 5000mah battery, depending on the motors and props you should get 30+ minutes of flight. If you want full redundancy you could even build an x8 octocopter and set it up to return to its launch point if a motor were to fail mid flight.
>>
>>1591616
I have no advice to offer but just wanted to say that's a fucking cool idea and I hope you figure it out.

>>1591580
What's your setup like? 32bit escs? I'm wondering if it's even worth it to adopt the new firmware seeing as all my quads still run Bheli_S
>>
>>1591295
I've been able to buy it for 38€ just 3€ more than the frSky from hobbyking.
sub-thread closed, thank you anons
>>
>>1591580

I have BL heli S esc's and I think stock 4.0 is flying better than my tuned 3.2.2

Soon they should be able to bring RPM filtering to the BL heli S esc's too. Just takes some coding and firmware updates.
>>
Which racing drone simulator do you advise me?
I'm not interessed in fancy graphics, i just want realism.
>>
>>1591829
The latest DRL sim
>>
Hello! I am a newfag on this thread so pls dont bully me. Can someone recommend me a drone that can fly for around 15 min at ~400m distance that is also within 150€? I dont care much about the camera quality, even 720p is fine for me.Thanks
>>
File: SKJV4.png (61 KB, 454x339)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>1592204
FPV(first person view) cameras use almost exclusively analog video on hobby-grade/diy stuff. Meaning that image quality is going to be so-so. People usually slap on a separate gopro or similar on their quads for YouTube.

Distance is not really going to be an issue, as long as you have enough power on your video transmitter, or you get some cheap chink toy for 20€. Main issue is going to be battery life, assuming you want a multirotor, and not a fixed wing model.

I'm assuming that you have no prior experience about anything related to RC, and that you don't already have a rc transmitter/any other equipment.
So You basically have 2 options: get a hobbygrade quad(or a fixed wing) with low KV motors and big props, or a chink DJI copy like a xiomi mifi or whatever, if you want it primarily as a camera platform.
You can't really squeeze 150€ into anything that meets your flight time requirements, unless you buy used. I'd suggest browsing through your local craigslist equivalent.
>>
>>1592246
I dont think he was necessarily talking about an FPV quad.

>>1592246
If youre willling to stretch the budget a bit Id go with a Hubsan H501S, if not there are a couple MJX Bugs models on Banggood that can probably go around 12-15 minutes, 400m is about maximum average for distance on most everything prebuilt or 2.4ghz that isnt DJI.
>>
>>1591621
Cheers and thx for the advice! Much appreciated...
>>
>>1592321
I did a bit more research into it after my first reply. Basically the only reason we are able to induction charge phone batteries is they use single cell lipos. In order to induction charge a drone battery you'd either need a single cell battery, or you'd have to custom rig up every cell in the pack with its own induction coil. But at that it wouldn't work, the charging component wouldn't be able to penetrate through the cells to charge the internal ones, and there is pretty much no way to reliably land the craft on the induction pad as the GPS return to launch in these things is only accurate to 3-5 feet. So basically its pretty much not possible with current technology, it would be far better to just use large low kv motors and large 15-18 inch props and a 5000-8000mah battery and launch from your house, using telemetry or pre defined missions in arducopter to send it to the area you want it to survey. Then fly back to your back porch or something when its finished.
>>
Probably the best way to charge the remote site drone is some kind of charging dock with big contacts/prongs that the drone could "dock" to and connect electrically, not induction charging.
>>
>>1592380
This just goes back to the fact that the GPS units used by Arducopter arent accurate enough to dock a drone. Best case scenario they usually only get within 2 or 3 feet of the return point. Youd need one of the LIDAR units DJI uses to accurately pull that off, and while Ive never messed with the SONAR features in Arducopter I dont think its that sophisticated.
>>
>havn't had time to drive my rc cars for well over a year

I'm going to sell one of them, feels bad man.

Just worried about the batteries, lipo. I put them in storage voltage but I never "recharged" them into storage ever since.
They're not swollen and have been lying about in like 2-30celcius roomtemp over the year.
Did I fuck up?
>>
>>1592411
They will lose some charge, but storage charge is the safest. It would be best if you would charge them up then drain back to storage once in 6 months
>>
>>1592415
They're safe to sell then? I'll charge them all, 3, and put into storage to test that they don't explode on whoever is buying the car.
>>
>>1592380
might be possible to make some kind of idiot-drone resistant design, imagine landing on then sliding down a big slanted piece of plywood with V shaped guardrails guiding the drone to the charging terminals. Or a less halfbaked version of that "funnel" concept.

It would help to have a battery with onboard BMS so you only need two electrical contacts to charge it.

Or a tethered drone?

It's a cool challenge to think about.
>>
>>1592438
A tethered copter is the most realistic possibility but it raises its own complications.
>>
>>1592438
Are you going to put a lamp on it?
>>
>>1592393
You would never use LIDAR for that sort of application, you'd just use RTK GPS (cm accuracy). I wouldn't be surprised if somebody like DJI could even pull it off with just regular GPS & CV from downward facing cameras (tech which is already built into most of their products).
>>
>>1592622
DJI could pull it off with the shit they use with their camera position hold, like you said, of course. DJI can do alot of stuff we cant for anything less than the price of a new DJI, or more.
>>
>>1592629
Yeah, we need a new ARM based open source system that can do camera positioning and other IR sensing. I know the sonar altitude sensors were available as early as the shitty Rabbit FC system before APM and Pixhawk.
>>
>>1592639
Oh, wait, we have optical flow support on Pixhawk!
Finally a reason to think about switching from Naza
>>
>>1592639
>>1592649
Optical flow & sonar are not even close to the same level as actual computer vision though, but alas that's not something the DIY/hobby scene is going to see anytime soon to any usable level IMO.

Erle-Brain is probably the most involved attempt we have so far & even that is still very much an 'enthusiast only' pet project or academic research endeavour.
>>
>>1592716
Pixhawk has options for that as well
>$450+ for one stereo vision module
>>
>>1592751
Pixhawk/Ardupilot allows you to connect a companion computer which can then use OpenCV/ROS/etc. to do CV processing & then send MAVLink commands to the flight controller, but that is a _long_ way off the level of turnkey integration (& a long way off the performance) of what even just a Spark can do. This is just one of those places where you need lots of man hours of software R&D, which DJI can afford to pay for but which the open source community doesn't have enough enthusiasts to do for free.
>>
Would posting this into my betaflight CLI have any chance of smoking my ESCs upon pluging in a battery? I fried one of my drones today after updating to 4.0, applying silicone conformal coating, and finally pasting this into the CLI.

the thing is i did a hover test before the CLI dump and everything was fine. then i got to the field and an esc fried immediately when i plugged it in

set dterm_lowpass2_type = PT1
set dterm_lowpass2_hz = 200
set feedforward_transition = 30
set iterm_relax_type = gyro
set iterm_relax_cutoff = 20
set transient_throttle_limit = 15
set i_pitch = 85
set i_roll = 80
set d_min_roll = 25
set d_min_pitch = 28
set d_min_boost_gain = 30
set d_min_advance = 80
set d_pitch = 38
set d_roll = 30
set tpa_rate = 50
set tpa_breakpoint = 1500
set tpa_mode = D
set p_yaw = 35
set i_yaw = 100
set d_yaw = 0
set f_yaw = 35
set iterm_rotation = OFF
>>
>>1592843

The dterm_lowpass2_type is usually on biquad at 150 and changing it to PT1 and 200 should be done carefully by testing the motors so that they dont heat up.

But I dont think that it would make your quads ESC blow up.

None of those other settings are a worry, its just pid chanes and setting relax to gyro which is good.

Umm. I would think something bad happened with the confromal coating and it caused some kind of short?

Was this a four in 1 by chance. If it was its probably a problem with the confromal coating.
>>
>>1592876
Yes, it was a 4in1. My first thought was I somehow sloppily applied the coating and caused a short, or perhaps I sealed in something because I didnt properly scrub the board with alcohol beforehand. The thing that confuses me is it hovered fine for about 10 seconds the night before I took it out to the field to fly. Perhaps it was the fully charged battery that did it it in.
>>
>>1591198
I've only used the omnibus on quads with pdbs, but I would imagine it would be fine to connect the BEC.
>>
>>1592977

Was it a 6s build too? More voltage makes thinks more risky.
>>
>>1593165

Just tweaking a board wrong can make 6s voltage jump a gap and fry an ESC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXshgaPeqZ0
>>
>>1589238
Weller WLC100 is what I have and its recommend for budget soldering iron.
>>
>>1593190
Thanks.

I went ahead and order the Aoyue 469. Seems to work fine, the Weller was one of my other considerations. Decided against it because the iron I used before making that post was one of Wellers cheaper not heat regulated ones and for whatever reason the tips just disintegrate. Considering the WLC100 uses the same tips I decided not to go with that. Ive ordered some genuine Hakko tips to use with the Aoyue, if those fall apart Im doing something wrong.
>>
>>1593190
>>1593196
Hakko FX-888D
The best you can get for hobby soldering
>>
>>1593268
I'm not spending $100 on a soldering iron.
>>
>>1593274
That is because you never used one before.
>>
>>1593362
>>1593268
I'm the guy you suggested in a previous thread to buy one. I am still saving up for it.

What's the item number of the tips you're using? I want a conical tip for occasional SMD soldering/desoldering and a chisel tip for things like quad power cables.
>>
>>1593369
Not that guy, but it comes with a T18-B conical tip & I use the T18-D32 chisel tip for power cables etc. For SMD you'll probably want a smaller conical tip than the included one.

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888d_tips.html#productNav
>>
>>1593165
>>1593166

Only 3s, the 4in1 was an Emax F3 Mini magnum.

I'm still confused why it would hover one night fine, then after the CLI dump decide to fry in the field.
>>
>>1593268

Its not the best. We have had entire threads about how the Hakko 888D is using old soldering technology and the new Hakko or the TS 100 / 80 ect use much better integrated tip technology.
>>
>>1593574
Apart from taking slightly longer to heat up, what actual drawbacks are there to the 'old soldering technology'? The temperature control is solid & the tips are cheaper.
>>
>>1593583
I have the "old tech" 888D and a "new tech" integrated tip iron
The old tech heats up under 20s from a cold start, the new tech heats up 30-40s. The old tech don't lose heat on bigger solder jobs like a fucking XT-60 connector and the new tech is unusable when it hits a slightly bigger GND solder pad.
Guess which one is collecting dust and which one is mainly in use.
>>
>>1593362
I've used a Hakko a few times, STEM lab in my college has like 30 of them. You set the temperature with the buttons and go. There is absolutely nothing those irons can do that a $50 iron with the same features using Hakko tips cant.
>>
>>1593623
Yeah, I understand people raving about the TS100 as a portable iron, but I just don't get the people who are pushing it over a proper station for workbench use. It doesn't even come with a stand O_o
>>
>>1593654
The $50 clone that I used ran 30 celcius hotter than you set. Some of them don't even have proper temperature control (you can open the 5-pin connector to find 3 pins with nothing connected).
>>
>>1593654
Then you didn't use soldering stations much.
It's not the brandwhoring, it is the actual performance of holding heat and having a properly set PID loop so it doesn't lose heat on large chunks.
Trust me, I've been using Weller, Ersa and a number of corner shop chink shit in my life and none of them came close to the performance of the 888D. The only ones having similar performance are $2000+ commercial soldering stations. In hobby grade you have the chinkshit, the Hakkor and the other old brands, Ersa and Weller which are both being bought up by the chinks and are overpriced chinkshit. Unless you can find a Weller or Ersa made before 2000 in good condition. Those also have the potenciometer heat setting so easier control than the 888D. I spent months finding a potenciometer old FX-888 but no luck, those who have them are holding up to them with a death grip.
>>
>>1593658
>>1593659
The $70 Xtronic station on Amazon holds its heat to ~3 degrees while being used for stained glass, which I'd wager is a bit tougher on an iron than electronics. You guys just dont want to admit you're paying $20-$30 for the brand.
>>
>>1593670
Come back in a decade and let us know if your XXXTronic is still working. Unless there's a nuclear apocalypse, a Hakko certainly will be.

But seriously speaking, nobody is saying that you can't get a perfectly good enough station for less than the price of a Hakko, especially if you're just a newbie hobbyist. The point is more that if you don't mind paying a bit extra for something really good which will literally outlive you, the Hakko is worth it, it's not just throwing money at a brand name.
>>
>Xilo F4 flight controller, $30
>HAS to be used with a 4 in 1, quite possibly only the Xilo 4 in 1

Goddammit.
>>
>>1593659
>Ersa and Weller which are both being bought up by the chinks
Ersa produces in China but they are still a German family business.
>>
i have two little unlabeled drone motors, bought them from an electronics store as it was going under. i want to operate them with a potentiometer and an ESC + arduino. how do i know which ESC to buy given they are unlabeled?
>>
>>1594513
Just buy a cheap 30-40 amp ESC, unless the motor is bigger than your fist it wont matter.
>>
>>1594510
They are absolute trash though.
>>
>>1594513
>potenciometer and arduino
Arduino is perfectly capable of PWM modulation on it's own, what do you need the potenciometer for?
>>
>>1594531
To choose the speed, presumably?

>>1594507
>>HAS to be used with a 4 in 1

Why?
>>
>>1594547
Doesnt have an XT-60 or motor signal pads.
>>
>>1594547
You know you can buy servo testers for pennies, right?
>>
>>1594647
>You know you can buy servo testers for pennies, right?

You can't buy anything for pennies, pal.
>>
>>1594560
You do realise you can wire individual ESCs & provide power to the FC via the 4in1 connector, right?
>>
If you have Propwash on 4.0 try out this, it fixed all propwash for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtsQwGVTHg4
>>
>>1590335
There has been maleware in the firmware offered on hk download section so no firmware updates. Current maleware-free firmware sometimes gets the radio to bind to random quads. Also I can't find an sbus receiver with the correct protocol that doesn't have way too long antennas. Apart from that its a good radio
>>
Just had confirmation from the CAA here in the UK that changes to the regulations last month now allow commercial FPV flights :) You need a spotter & GPS failsafe, but you've always required a spotter for recreational FPV anyway & now that betaflight has rudimentary GPS RTH it's essentially plain sailing! Well, flying. Now to get my boss to agree to pay for a new build & a Hero 7 Black...
>>
Can anyone recommend me a good starter plane that I can use my 3000mah 3s or 1300mah 4s quad batteries with? Would prefer to build.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.