[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMAG3490.jpg (219 KB, 1920x529)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
Can you even get a foundation like this in 2019? Doubt it.
>>
why not? you can get anything if you have the money
>>
>>1574550

Cut and cleaved stone? Yeah, it's available if you can get competent masons.
Very costly.

I've cut limestone blocks myself exactly once, to fill in a basement window, and b/c it faced the street wanted to make it look good.
>>
>>1574550
Get?
>>
>>1574574
You're the worst person on this board I hope you know that
>>
>>1574550
you can get literally whatever you want if you have enough money
>>
>>1574592
Bless your heart
>>
>>1574550
>>1574574
how is it possible that the average house painstakingly built 50 years ago cost about 2-3x the average income and now it is about 3-4x for a piece of shit that won't even last until the end of your mortgage?
>>
>>1574943
for the exact same reasons we outsource shit to 3rd world countries. inflation, unions, energy costs, regulations, taxes, corruption etc. people want high wages but they also want cheap products. we've gone from being able to buy a brand new car fresh out of high school and having a house mostly paid for in our 20s all on a minimum wage job to a lifetime of debt even with a high paying job
>>
File: concrete blocks.png (335 KB, 653x672)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>>1574550
>>
>>1574943
Jews
>>
>>1574958
>we've gone from being able to buy a brand new car fresh out of high school and having a house mostly paid for in our 20s all on a minimum wage job
Doubt.png
>>
>>1574943
Did they have seven bathrooms?
>>
>>1574997
Look up cost of living and median wages from years ago.

You could own a car and a house and support a family with a single income. And that was a factory job for someone who dropped out of high school. Its just how it was back then.
>>
>>1574997
but it's true AND it was mostly done on only a mans income. women working still wasn't all that widespread even up until the 70s. today having 2 incomes is pretty much mandatory. that's how out of wack the cost of living has become. the average cost of a house in the 70s was around $40,000. add inflation over the years and that's $160,000 in todays money. today the average cost is $200,000 so basically $40,000 more then that should be

of course that only housing. taxes, food, and services are all extremely expensive compared to only a few decades ago. the cost of living is FAR outpacing income and only getting worse. that fact that we carry so much debt now is only making things that much worse
>>
>>1575037
>>1575065
In 1986 bills to impose strict controls for campaign financing via corporate "donations" were quashed by a bipartisan action. In 1988 Republicans blocked, by filibuster, further attempts to strengthen existing legislation. In 1994 Republicans blocked Democrat's Bills designed to set spending limits for campaigns. In 1996 a bipartisan bill to set voluntary limits was killed by a Republican filibuster. In 1997 McCain and Feingold's bill to eliminate "soft money and tv advertising" expenditure was scuppered by a Republican filibuster. There are more actions in a similar vein.

In short, corporations have bought the American Senate, and this is why corporations are becoming more and more profitable while the average Joe has seen their spending power massively reduced over the past three decades. This was brought to you mainly by the Republican Party. It is a mystery to me why anyone that works for a living votes for the Republican Party, they have repeatedly and consistently voted and legislated against the American people. The recent three trillion dollar "tax reform" that benefitted the already very very wealthy above all else is a prime example of said corruption.
>>
>>1575076
>why anyone that works for a living votes for the Republican Party
to protect us from the mexicans ! and from the niggers !
>>
>>1575076
>blaming republicans for all american evil
Classic amerilards.
>>
>>1575076
It was HER TURN
>>
>>1575100
>If you see Republicans for what they are you must like $hillary
I'm sure your mother is proud of you, Anon
>>
>>1575095
>blaming republicans for all american evil
Nope, just for bending over for corporations so they can get more money to stay in their cushy lifestyle, while not giving two fucks for the American people.
>>
>>1575091
Good goy.
>>
>>1575076
>It is a mystery to me why anyone that works for a living votes for the Republican Party

People have fallen prey to petty class warfare constructed by the ruling class, and mindless religion of course.
Doesnt help that Trump was the perfect demagogue against someone as unlikable as Hillary.

It would have been nice to see things be more bipartisan and moderate with Trump, too bad he is fucking useless and got steamrolled by House republicans easily.
>>
>>1574550
two downspouts in the same spot
what could go wrong?
>>
>>1575076
you can't put all the blame on politicians or corporations. yes they do carry some blame but it's far more complex and widespread then that
>>
>>1575156
Yet politicians are the ones who enabled corporations to pervert the system, and they are the ones who can put the brakes on the decline, but they aren't and they wont. Enablers are just as guilty as the ones they enable. Nothing is ever as simple as anyone thinks it is, but look around at other western industrial democracies, are their Governments legally owned by corporations? No, they're not, which is a limiting factor in how much influence corporations can have on a Government. No system is perfect, and no system is free from corruption, but the American system isn't even trying to hide it anymore and it's going to end badly.
>>
>>1574943
Scarcity of materials, regulations imposed on manufacturers, regulations imposed on building, tighter assemblies with more insulation to bring down energy costs

What I really want to know is what happened to good tradesmen that somehow made it with modest pay. Now if you want something done to the standards of the past it's going to be the contractor's first time and they're going to charge you a lot more.
>>
>>1574943
The cost of gasoline skyrocketed. They never predicted that a bunch of weenies and bureaucrats would cause oil and electricity to become expensive which is why a lot of them don't even have insulation. They just burned lots of oil and gas because it was cheap. The cost of materials/ shipping materials was cheaper too because America actually produced things other than services back then.
>>
>>1574550
This thread is so full of shit it's not funny. Minimum wage in 1975 was $2.10. If they withheld zero taxes, you made $364/month. If you bought a house for 40k your payment (@ 8% interest for 30 years) was $294/month. So $70/month was enough to pay for everything else? Lolno. Not even in 1975. I was there.
Also, go ahead like Anon said and look up average income vs house prices in 1975 vs now. It was about 4x yearly income then, and it's about 4x yearly income now.

Trolls can fuck off back to /pol/ with this political bullshit.
>>
>>1575356
>It was about 4x yearly income then, and it's about 4x yearly income now.
>MEANWHILE IN AUSTRALIA
;_;
>>
>>1575356
Fuck off boomer scum. You had it easy, you're not tough and you're not a real man
>>
>>1575356
whose yearly income, the 3/4 of us that make less or the 1/10th that makes a shitload more
>>
Average income means jack shit. If 99% of population makes $1 a year and 1% makes $100 000 000 then are the people 'rich' thanks to their $1 000 000 average income?
Median is a much more useful stat, though obviously full distribution graph is way better.
>>
>>1575356
you are partially correct. the gap is a decent bit bigger the 4x tho. the issue you're conveniently ignoring is the cost of everything else especially costs that didn't exist back in the 70s. government is constantly increasing taxes, creating new taxes and coming out with new ways to get our money. in Canada it's likely that 70% or more of total income goes straight to government pockets
>>
>>1574550
thats just facade
>>
sure can, thats nothing more than split-face veneer stone on a concrete wall basement. you cant run block below grade without moisture migrating to interior, think diy!
>>
>>1574559
Pet dodo.
>>
>>1574943
Hmmm... well it seems a lot like it happened around the same time we got the super super rich being a thing. I'm glad Bill Gates can buy every house around his for miles to avoid triggering his autism, it's really worth have crippling housing prices being a thing.
>>
>>1575487
The numbers I googled were not bigger than 4x, sorry. And you're leaving out all the voluntary expenditures that we all pay for today that we didn't then. Besides cell phones, a car for every driver in the house, and more than one television per family, back then we ate out once or twice a month, not four times a week or more. All that, and more, adds up.

Guys, the bullshit artists have convinced us that there is an apples to apples comparison of a time period 50 years ago to today. Are there any times in history 50 years apart that are comparable? No. Stop believing the bullshit they're feeding you and look up, guys.

Oh, and I'm not a boomer either. I hate everyone, not just one specific generation.
>>
>>1575563
>voluntary expenditure
>cell phone
what planet do you live and work on
>>
>>1575568
Planet boomer. Poor bastard
>>
>>1575568
Choosing a $1000 iPhone over a $125 pre-owned Motorola G is a choice.
Paying >$10 per month for cell service is a choice.
>>
>>1575578
>Paying $10 per month for cell service is a choice.
WHAT PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON
>we all go out to eat four times a week or more
seriously, what is wrong with you
>>
>>1575580
I only pay ten$ A month on my phone. Maybe you should stop being a huge tool.
>>
>>1575578
>Choosing a $1000 iPhone over a $125 pre-owned Motorola G is a choice
price of the phone is irrelevant. my $1200 phone cost me exactly $0

>Paying >$10 per month for cell service is a choice
yeah good luck finding a plan for $10. you're also ignoring that fact that these days internet is pretty much required. we have companies charging insane fees (some up to $10) to get a paper bill plus the cost of cheques is insane these days. the end result is that bills alone make internet a requirement today and all those fees for paper billing can easily add up to the cost of internet service
>>
>>1574943
Building codes. Anything new being built must be built to code. Code is...90% code for "job security and price hiking" and 10% for actual safety. So, this, >>1574995
>>
>>1575578
kek the other day I saw a guy at the grocery store buying a single roll of the shittiest single ply sandpaper toilet paper with an iPhone X in his hand
>>
>>1575037
>>1575065
not to go full poltard, but it is just a fact that when more women started working and the labor pool almost doubles, wages fall
Not saying there is a solution but that's just how it be

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.