[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1551995098139.jpg (2.36 MB, 3072x2304)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
FAQ: ftp://50.31.112.231/pub/radio_FAQ_Preview8.htm
>>
File: bookcover.jpg (740 KB, 1225x1727)
740 KB
740 KB JPG
Recently passed my intermediate licence. Got my callsign last week, although I haven't used it yet, which means I can now use up to 50w. If I didn't have to open the windows to run my coax through I'd have probably made a few contacts by now.

I've got an FT450D on my desk here which I've made contacts on using my foundation licence running the maximum of 10w.

I was also playing with Fldigi the other day, I was feeding it audio from a WebSDR (http://hackgreensdr.org:8901/). At first decoding some morse and then last weekend some PSK. Really makes me want to get an audio interface, though it would probably be cheaper to build one.
>>
File: DSC_7674.jpg (1.05 MB, 1200x801)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>1573816

Air Force RF Transmission guy here, I used to work right next to the FLR-9 in Misawa. Unfortunately, they started tearing it down in 2014.
>>
>>1573816
Always admired elephant cages. Tho those are for DFing. Here is one of the sites I worked at.

35°48'29.6"N 139°28'21.2"E
35.808218, 139.472542

10KW HF Rockwell Collins HF-80.
>>
>>1573852
Bummer. I was out there doing GWIP (Global weather improvement program) boondoggle.
Those are impressive up close.
>>1573977
is at Tokorazawa Japan, the Smoke Signal III site. Now HF Global.
>>
I bought a yaesu ft227 memorizer, Anyone know how I program my glorious single channel memory?
>>
Are there any interesting ham devices that can run off PoE? I've been meaning to get my licence, but I'm so busy with other things that it'll probably be another year or two before I do. However, I am planning on running some cables across my property to connect up security cameras so I can stalk thieving junkies. Just wondering if I should stick in some extra cable for future interesting uses or not...
>>
>>1574092
Funny you should mention that since I just picked up a few Linksys routers to start a mesh network. If you look up “hamnet” on YouTube you can find a ton of info but basically you will need a router, antenna, and PoE adapter (and associated cables) to get started. They cheap route (which is what I did) is to buy a certain kind of router that has a specific amount of RAM and onboard memory plus a programming language in Linux. Then you need and antenna, and while the stock antenna works for very short distances you’ll need a directional one to join a mesh. Put the router in a waterproof enclosure close to the antenna to minimize loss and run a LAN cable to your computer with the PoE adapter hooked in somewhere in between. Another option is to buy an Ubiquity device which is already waterproofed and do the same procedure after getting it close to your antenna. I’m not sure how useful this setup will be without the custom firmware from hamnet but the good news is you won’t need a license at the stock frequency (though I don’t know if that applies to Ubiquity)
>>
>>1574126
I'm guessing they use openwrt with some sort of ham radio module they've developed? That could be an option, I should probably ask the local radio club if there is anything like a meshnet set up here.

Often we don't have these nice things in Australia except for Sydney and Melbourne, because of our cities' low population density (even lower than America). So anything that relies on high density to be practical (good Internet speeds, public transportation, mesh networks, etc.) either isn't very good or is very expensive.
>>
>>1573816
>>1573852
Why disable a HFDF system? that seems extremely valuable to me.
Is there something better to replace it with?
>>
>>1574092
cant you just run real electrical wire along with the ethernet cable?
>>
>>1574260
I could, and I probably will for some sensor lights, but I'm not sure how that would help with what I was asking...
>>
>>1574272
Now you're not limited to interesting ham devices that can run off PoE, you may also include interesting ham devices that can run off AC.
>>
>>1573816
I don't like what they've done with stone henge desu.
>>
>>1574336
Well, the reason why I was thinking of PoE is so I can easily control it from my house.
>>
>>1574260
>>1574272
You guys know PoE stands for power over Ethernet right? As in you only need one (Ethernet) wire to your router instead of two.
>>1574143
There’s no “module” it’s just modified firmware that makes the router operate on a slightly highe freuency that’s password protected.
>>
>>1574678
>You guys know PoE stands for power over Ethernet right? As in you only need one (Ethernet) wire to your router instead of two.
Yes, of course I know that...

>There’s no “module” it’s just modified firmware that makes the router operate on a slightly highe freuency that’s password protected.
Well I'd just use openwrt then, if that's all this hamnet firmware does.
>>
>>1573816
How representative of the technician tests are those I find online?

They all come from the same pool, but is it random or more of a wink wink?
>>
>>1574936
You can literally download the whole question pool from the fcc newfriend
>>
>>1574936
Tech is a seriously easy cakewalk. Rote memorization will allow you to pass. However, if you actually want to enjoy the bands, also study for General. If you pass Tech, you can take General for free that day and get 1500 watts and privileges on all the bands.
>>
>>1574936
>>1575231
>http://www.arrl.org/tech-question-pool
>>
Hey people, I have recently developed and interest in radio as an alternative to satellite communication in a potential SHTF situation and while many of the books I find are informative they also deal mostly with the theoretical aspects of it, are there any books or manuals that treat radio manufacturing and repair in more practical DIY kind of way?
>>
>>1575908
Basic electronics repair will get you there; circuitry is circuitry. You may want to find some books on audio electronics repair.

You may want to get:
Energy Choices for the Radio Amateur
ARRL Handbook (2019)
Power Supplies Explained
Portable Operating for Amateur Radio
and
The Radio Amateur's Workshop
from the ARRL store: http://www.arrl.org

Also, snoop about QRZ.com Lots of SHTF people post in their forums.
>>
File: hammer.jpg (979 KB, 2602x1608)
979 KB
979 KB JPG
typical ham
>>
>>1575231
Correct, but that's 400+ questions.
Online pulls from those, but in a disporportionate ratio - ie I see the same questions time and time again.
I'm guessing the FCC has picked a core group of questions which these quizs iterate through, then throw in a few random questions so there are alternating versions.
Any ballpark as to what % I should be hitting to be confident I'll pass the actual test? I'm in the 80%s and have a month to go. Maybe I should just switch gears and study the General exam.
>>
File: OP's typical day.jpg (17 KB, 500x453)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1575940
>I'm angry
>I'm so dense, I can't get my ticket
>I'll try to persuade others it's stupid, too
>stupidHAM.jpg
>I showed 'em good!
>>
>>1574071
engage the 'M' latching switch
>>
File: butt hurt.jpg (22 KB, 361x358)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1576407
>>
>>1574146
The idea was that the bad guys just want to leave HF since HF takes more effort. That was a mistake. According to a UFO guy who believe these are UFO technologies, he noticed more cars in the parking lots around these sites than before and concluded mothballing has been reversed.

And once again we see how much leaks thanks to pieces of openly available information.
>>
Hi guys, I'm still in the planning stages of a solo transatlantic trip next year, I know most bluewater cruisers use VHF for local comms, what would be some good budget equipment for both VHF communications, and separately, OTOH comms? Taking that further, I see a bunch of radar systems with a max range of 48nm. Are there any affordable OTOH radar systems out there?
>>
I'm interested in using wifi hardware in amateur radio in the UK. I'm aware of HamWAN in the US and was wondering what parts of US band plan it uses.
>>
>>1578133
Look for the 13cm and the 6cm bands and compare to common WiFi frequencies.
>>
>>1574126

The only ubiquiti radios that need licenses are the 3Ghz and 11Ghz radios

The performance with a DD-WRT router is garbage, I've run the setup myself and the ubiquiti hardware will give you solid performance.

I had an 5Ghz AP serving a client over a mile away and the radio had an uptime of over a year. Look for used hardware.
>>
>Guard freq. is CB for pilots
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYCcaIelB_U
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8kPPK_rYY

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.