[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: headpiece.jpg (2.96 MB, 4032x3024)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
give me some criticism
pretty much forged the curved pieces
then welded it all together
and grinded it all out
>>
File: fullbody.jpg (111 KB, 507x676)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
heres the rest
>>
i have no idea what the fuck to do for a handle or even to make a handle
>>
>>1573615
Make it grippy, protect the hand, and keep it from flying out of your hand.
>>
File: IMG_1269.jpg (3.48 MB, 4032x3024)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
>>1573620
i kinda made a grip slightly
grinded it just a little and left enough room for two hands atleast
>>
>>1573613
Looks heavy. Your target weight should be @ 3 lbs or less. Also, cut the spikes down a bit; they're mainly there to keep the head from sliding off armor plates when you hit something, you're not trying to stab anyone to death with them.
>>
>>1573633
Okay awesome thx wasn't sure if i should've made em smaller
>>
>>1573613
I presume you’re not going to use this in an actual battle so it doesn’t really matter but for reference having open loops and rings on the business end of your weapon like this increases the chance of it getting hung up or snagged on something
on a billhook or halberd this is sort of the point because you want to pull riders off their horses but for a mace that you would be using on horseback you don’t want it to get yanked out of your grip
>>
>>1573673
ohh damn, fair enough thanks man good to know
didn't see it that way
>>
File: IG0006-XG053-2.jpg (51 KB, 600x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Might consider something the loops/hoops shut then shortening the spikes up and creating a nice gradual hump/point like pic related. The force your swinging with a blunt edge will still penetrate anything short of thicker steel
>>
>>1573708
Closing the hoops, fucking phone
>>
>>1573681
that’s basically the reason the spikes should be shorter too, it’s great fun to pound some Saracen pleb on the head and drive two inches of steel through his helmet and into his spongy little brain but trying to pull it out again while his cousins Abu, Babu, Cabu and Balki are Azeeming their scimitars at you is somewhat less fun
>>
>>1573613
Its not heavy enough, you want the weapon to do the work for you.
>>
>>1573708
I see this and now i have the urge to do sand casting again.
>>
File: ZS-901146-SL.png (55 KB, 850x850)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>1573708
yeah i saw a lot of these and i was like they kinda boring just wanted to make it a little different and had some inspiration for the morning star
>>
>>1573821
Real maces weren't generally very heavy. A heavy mace would be devastating...if it ever hit. In real life, while you were busy accelerating it in the correct direction, you would have already been pwned by a perfectly adequate blow from a lighter mace or whatever other weapon.
>>
>>1573615
Two pieces of wood and a piece of hot metal to wrap around it and hammer onto it. Will shrink when it cools and make an impervious thing that will have to be cut off.
>>
>>1573945
thx anon
>>
It needs more spikes
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1573943
You would be using the mace on horseback under optimal conditions.
Also, you're assuming the target is stronger or the user is weak. In fact, if youre to weak to wield a heavy weapon, youre choice would be limited to lighter weapons.,
A strong man can use a 30lbs weapon as any weak man would be able to use a 5lbs weapon.
Imaging yourself as a happy go lucky 6 year old weilding a hammer vs your 50 year old grandfather with a shovel.
>>
File: autismo2.jpg (146 KB, 718x1000)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1573613
>spike hole not drilled in the center
this triggers my autism
>>
>>1574373
You also need to carry it to the battle, then swing it around for a full day. Heavy=death (your death).
>>
>>1574373
Except the strong man with a 5 lb mace (IIRC that is even on the heavier side for historical weapons) would be way faster with the swings, and more capable of redirecting/stopping the weapon etc. There is no point in going above a certain weight because even in a lobster shell, you can do enough damage to fuck someone up with a lighter weapon. And with a lighter weapon, you are way more capable of actually hitting someone. Not to mention the fatigue factor.
>>
>>1575053
Additionally, the strong man can still inflict more damage than the weaker with the same 5lb mace and you only need so much force to crush a helmet and the skull beneath. Increasing the weight in proportion to the difference in strength compromises the gains in agility and stamina that would otherwise be achieved.
>>
>>1574373
>A strong man can use a 30lbs weapon
Put 30lbs at the end of a stick and hold it out perpendicular to the ground with your arm fully outstretched and level.
>>
>>1576751
I mean 30lb is stupid but so is this test
>>
File: 1503062434505.png (553 KB, 517x447)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
>>1576774
>weapon proposed for discussion is a 30-pound mace
>a stick with a weighted end
>usability test with 30 pounds on the end of a stick is not relevant
>>
>>1576776
Put the weight aside
I can easily throw a sledgehammer all day with a smile on my face but I would be completely fucked if you asked me to hold it out by the tail at arms length.
Swinging and holding are very different kettles.
Hold a tennis racket out at arms length for 5 minutes, see how you get on.
>>
>>1576788
Yeah fighting isnt hitting a bit of stationary concrete mate. You have to dodge, seek oppertuneties etc. good luck doing that with a sledgehammer. After your first swing some weak dude can just jump in and whack you on the hat till you die.
>>
>>1576792
Where are the goalposts I can't find them!
So we agree the test is stupid. Good.
>>
>>1573613
Looks like it would get stuck on literally everything.
>>
>>1573613
As some one that has used maces irl I can tell you your design makes little sense. The main problem I can see is you have huge gaps in you "flanges" so you don't have a 360 degree striking face. The spikes are way to long. And I guessing it is too heavy. Also most maces are just around 2 feet in length.
>>
>>1573613
>>1576812
Also with the handle being made of metal you run into problems. If it is a hollow metal tube it will bend (it will trust me) you can put a wood inside the tube to reinforce it. If it is a solid steel bar it will be too heavy to wield.
>>
File: 1542169287589.jpg (126 KB, 768x1024)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>Mace
>not having a flail
>>
>>1574373
>A strong man can use a 30lbs weapon

And yet, in reality, medieval maces averaged under 2lbs. And none were over 4.

I know you think you know about historical arms from playing "skyrim", but the reality is very different to what you imagine it to be.
>>
File: LKQQ8ce.jpg (21 KB, 640x274)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>
>>1577211
Cactus flail has a special place in my heart.
>>
>>1573613
The curved steel will only be helping your opponent. Rather than the spikes penetrative in, or a solid curve hitting your enemy, the curved steel will flex and bend, and will take a lot of the power out of the impact.

I'd recommend welding a couple of quarter-circle steel plates to the underside of the curve to make it rigid, or at the least weld the spike to the curve.
>>
>>1577901
It would if you got hit with it.
>>
You could use that plastidip tool handle shit they sell at home Depot for the handle probably.
>>
>>1573633
>You're not trying to stab anyone to death with them.
Says you.
>>
>>1577953
I did that with one of my maces and it did help. It was plastidip spray.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.