[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 2019-03-04 14.37.56.png (1.38 MB, 960x1280)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I have an injured woodpecker in a box. He flew into a glass window and it knocked him out. I've lined the box with paper towels and put a sheet of polycarbonate on top for a window so I can check on him every 20 minutes or so. Is there anything else I should be doing? His neck and feet look wrong to me, but I don't know birbs so maybe they're okay. He hasn't opened his eyes, but when I picked the box up to take him to work with me, he opened his beak, and when I sat the box on the floor he flapped his wings a bit and moved in the box, but he hasn't opened his eyes yet. He is still breathing. I didn't want to just leave him outside for a cat to get him, and it's in the mid-20s Fahrenheit out there. Any further guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1566998
>I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this

Not really, the fags on >>>/an/ will be better help
>>
>>1567000
>Trips of truth

Thanks, I'll take it over there.
>>
>>1566998
just keep him warm and check him like you say. maybe a tiny cup of water?
if he shows signs of improvement i guess toss a few mealworms in there
>>
>>1566998
>Is there anything else I should be doing?

Have a skillet at medium heat on the stove, couple of tablespoons of butter melted, some thyme stripped and just rough chopped quick, and maybe some rice going on the side as an accompaniment: jasmine is nice.
>>
>>1567010
>neglecting the Five Spice
It's like you have not eaten a woodpecker before.
>>
>>1567003
>maybe a tiny cup of water
Maybe a tiny ambulance too.
>>
>>1567010
>>
>>1566998
Can you encase him in resin?
>>
>>1567013
better have a tiny copay and tiny annual premium though
>>
>>1567013
>maybe a tiny cup of water
>Maybe a tiny ambulance too.
at this point we're looking at a tiny priest to administer tiny Last Rites
then a tiny coroner
>>
UPDATE: I called a tiny rehab center and they said to bring him in tomorrow morning if he's still alive. If he has internal injuries there's nothing they can do for him.
>>
>>1566998
That does not look good, but I've had birds stay stunned and out for a good 12 hours before showing signs of recovery. If he's still breathing in the morning, take him to the shelter. You might want to cover the box-- if he does wake up, he'll try to fly.
>>
>>1567219
Thanks. The box IS covered with a sheet of polycarbonate. I taped it on top of the box so I could look in on the bird without having to open the top and disturb him all the time. I ended up taking him to a wildlife rehab center about an hour away, and when I handed the box over he started flapping his wings and rolling around in there, so he was showing signs of life. It's out of my hands now.
>>
File: darknessrises8.jpg (64 KB, 700x465)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1567241
Glad to hear it. I like woodpeckers. Second favorite tree dwellers behind Siberian Flying Squirrels.
>>
>>1567241
I am assuming that you showed them this thread so they can give us updates and hopefully continue the tiny objects for woodpeckers joke
>>
>>1567026
kek

You beat me to it anon..
>>
>>1567241
Good job anon, that's pretty much all you can do.
>>
>forum

Is summer already started?
>>
>>1566998
taking him to work? stop. you're going to kill him by scaring him to death.

call animal control. they can rehab him. i hope this is a joke...
>>
DIY kill your own birb.
>>
>>1567631
Birds aren't scared that easily.
>>
>>1567324
>Is summer already started?
That would certainly explain your presence.
>>
>>1567631
>taking him to work? stop. you're going to kill him by scaring him to death.

Why? OP works at KFC?
>>
>>1566998
Let a cat play with it and finish the job. It is a bird pussy.
>>
Make sure to cover in resin to make a nice house warming gift
>>
>>1566998
hey it’s been like 10 days OP what the fuck happened to the bird
you didn’t cum on it did you?
>>
When birds fly into windows 9/10 times they break their neck..... goodjob keeping him alive in pain.....
>>
>>1567052
Do you have a tiny car to drive him in? Or perhaps a tiny basket on a tiny bike?
>>
>>1567242
What kind of dumb autistic retard has a list of favorite animals that live in trees
>>
>>1570652
Wow. Edgy. Don't cut yourself on yourself.
>>
>>1570678
Hes not wrong, you are a gigantic fucking faggot
>>
>>1570719
don't wank in your sockpuppet
>>
Do not move the bird. Do not touch the bird (unless it is in immediate threat of harm in it's current location I.E. cats or something) Place a box with one side cut out of it over the bird. This will protect the bird from light and heat and let them leave when they are ready. This will help with their concussion. It can take birds 2-48 hours to reset and fly off.
>>
>>1570725
>"sockpuppet"
>"edgy"

"Reddit"
>>
just look it up on runehq bro
did you try reading the quest log?
>>
>>1566998
Pra tive taxidermy when he dyes
>>
>>1570050
I am betting they euthanized at 5 minutes after OP left then went to lunch
>>
It's a woodpecker. The force required to knock it out is going to be huge compared to the force to snap it's neck. Tl;DR it broke it's neck/back.
>>
>>1566998
Shoot the damn thing, if they decide they like your house they won't rest until it is a piece of swiss cheese.
>>
>>1567026
This is the post I opened this thread for.
>>
>>1566998
Keep it dark, don't bother it, it'll either come good or die overnight.

Dark is good
>>
>>1570652
the same that had enough of your mom's beaver
>>
File: 1527551428583.png (726 KB, 600x722)
726 KB
726 KB PNG
>>1566998
SPACE PROGRAM !
>>
>>1566998
Probably fractured its neck or skull-- it's likely a goner. I agree with the guy who said keep it in the dark.
>>
>>1576576
Cover it with cum first for lubrication
>>
File: 1549999287427.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
I have seen this happen so many times and not once has the bird survived, assuming the collision with the glass was during full flight of the bitd as opposed to hopping off a perch or a launching leap e.g.
The lightest injury would be a broken wing or wings. Flightless, the bjrd is fxuked anyways. The veterinary costs would not be worth it saving a common or garden sparrow type of small bird. Regardless, most of the time the injury is broken neck or chest cage with serious internal injuries.

Remember, birds skeletons are hollow which is what makes them so light and able to fly at the 46kph/31mph that your bird was likely flying at before it collided with a wall it could not see coming to an instant stop. No seat belt. No airbag.

Sorry OP, your bird is likely an ex bird, it will cease to be, it'll shuffle of this mortal coil and so on and so forth

Press F to pay respects to OPs sparrow.
>>
>>1566998
If the bird is still conscious, you should find a chisel, hammer it against the side of the box a few dozen times in rapid succession, and shout HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LIKE IT?
>>
>>1577770

this
>>
>>1567026
Came here for this.
>>
1. get a little dropper and drop water into his
mouth
2. keep him in a DARK, quiet and warm area where he can rest.
3. get some bugs (dead) for him to eat.
cricket maybe.
maybe pet him softly as well.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.