[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: 1543791514218.png (341 KB, 562x562)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
Hey /diy/
Some of you are very skilled either through doing a trade or general life lessons. My dad knew nothing about anything diy related and as such i can't even change a tire or drill chuck.
How do I go about learning things, specifically mechanics. If i can't change a tyre how can i hope to completely do up an old rust bucket i bought?
The plan is to install a new engine, roll cage, differential, etc. I understand how the parts work but not how to put them in
>>
>>1510232

You've obviously heard of the internet because you are here. Why not google the topics, and look for automotive forums and youtube videos? Threads like this, and "ima build a house, how use hammer" are ridiculous.
>>
>>1510232
Google
Youtube
Be curious about stuff and ask stupid questions. If you see some cool stuff stop and have a look. Ask how did you do this, where did you get that, what does thingy do?
Accept that complete failure is the most likely outcome and just jump into it. Learn from your mistakes and try again
Never ever under any circumstance use your daily driver as a project car.
Read the line above once more, if thats your plan get a cheap reliable beater first.
There are forums about everything out there, join them and read everything.
Try to avoid facebook groups, too many assholes spamming them with crap.
Unfortunately, the most skilled mechanics are not here, on facebook or on any forums, they are out there getting their hands dirty building stuff you and me can only dream about. Try to get to know some and learn first hand.
>>
>>1510232
Buy good toolset
Watch youtube
Buy manual
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice
Practice

Practice is 90% of the skill.
>>
>>1510547
good advice

>>1510232
get a 100~ piece tool set first
what did you buy anon? picrelated? I've had a GTS for 5 years now, anything you want to know about an AE8x (engine swaps, mods, everything) it's on club4ag. All the skills you need and all the knowledge is picked along the way as you mess and make repairs/maintenance on your car.
>>
>>1510232
Tips
Hand tighten things first then use the torque wrench to prevent cross threading
Use a car with small, simple internals to learn on. First generation VW Rabbit comes to mind, but if you want something else to start out with I recommend getting it in manual if it's older than 20yrs
A hydraulic jack is not required, but it is easier to use and will last much longer. Be sure to always use jack stands
The older and slower a car is the cheaper it is to insure, if you/your car meet the criteria of classic car you get an even bigger discount
Read auto forums and watch car repair vids also read the manual
>>
>>1510232
I learnt how to change a tire because necessity. I watched a video in youtube. Also, I learned how to put air into a wheel because i needed to do it.
>>
>>1510232
Youtube. ChrisFix.

Go, grasshopper, and learn the way of the masters.
>>
>>1510232
Fuck all these guys. Read some books. Popular mechanics and car craft magazines. Always help your friends, little old ladies, and so on. Try to fix everything before you throw it away. Buy cheap crap tools until you break something then you can upgrade. The internet should be a last resort when you and nobody you know have any clue. There is plenty of bullcrap out there and a novice will not be able to filter it out.
>>
youre kinda fucked right off the hop

how old are you? ive been a mechanic since i was old enough to hold a wrench and i still dont know fuck all, i learn constantly every day

you just gotta dig in and get hands on experience

what i do is whatever job im on at work i read up on at night, really study it. things like manuals etc

i just finished a complete brake job on a belly dump trailer

did the slacks, drums, liners, all new bushings, dressed the shoes, you name it

then set the brakes up, new wheel seals and bearings, set preload and endplay

ive been studying the bendix/haldex literature for a week
>>
>>1510768
This.
Becoming a mechanic requires great amounts of self study. Try and find an older mechanic with the patience to teach you everything he knows. When working on a project with them, your homework will be to learn all that you can so you can have him help you as little as possible. You need an intense thirst for this knowledge. For getting into the field I recommend simple machines and working up. Start with small engine or old engines/vehicles and work up to present. Trying to learn all there is about modern vehicles all at once is daunting. But if you learn the basics and work up to more modern things it’ll be much easier.
>>
>>1510547
>Never ever under any circumstance use your daily driver as a project car.
I do this... I am a mechanic though
>>
>>1510232
Honestly get yourself a service manual for the car, OEM, Haynes, Chilton, whatever... and start disassembling the dang thing. Get hands on.
>>
>>1510232
You have to learn how it works before you can fix it
Theory is critical. How does resistance show itself? Adequate spark, Fuel volume and good signal. What should it be doing? Have air? Spark? Fuel? Signal? Voltage? Ground?
>>
>>1512038
Wherr to learn theory?????
>>
>>1512038
Shit son, we live in a world of OBDII
>>
>>1510232
Well it depends on your time frame and dedication to your project. Is this grandads old car with a huge sentimental value? Is this a pos you bought without any idea how to understand the problems with it vs the work it would take to fix them? Lot of variables here when specifically talking about mechanics.
Best thing to do is get into the culture, but don't be surprised if you get no results from that.
Its not often talked about on this board but there is a certain level of intelligence it will take to actually understand how to do what you want and nobody is going to hold a retards hand through a restoration project.
Matter of fact, as a mechanic I won't deal with your questions if I personally find them badgering from your lack of experience. Doesn't mean I think you're stupid or anything, but time is money so if it takes too long for me to get an idea across I'm just going to tell you to fuck off so do you due diligence with Google between the new ideas you hear.
Back to my first point though, if what you bought was shit from the rip well know but I won't tell you. Breaking a person from their bad decisions is time consuming. I'm not going to bother unless you ask me very directly if you made an oops. It happens, it's even happened to mechanics I know
I'm not going to be motivated to get you going if you don't seem to have any idea what you're getting into, especially if it's not an emotional /sentimental connection.

In summary, don't buy a shit box. Buy a car that is functional as you can tell and when shit breaks YouTube it until you understand that issue then fix it then so on so on. Life experience beats it all, get as much as you can. You definitely don't have enough if you think it was a good idea to jump into this project with no idea what you're doing.
That's not meant to be an insult, I've got so little life experience as a 25 yo I may as well be retarded but I know and accept that fact. I'm a dumbass as can be seen by me being
>>1511053
>>
>>1512148
Theory nigguh here. I will admit, I’ve never changed an engine. But I know how to check the basics like for good spark. One time my van wouldn’t start. I used an Hei spark checker and diagnosed it properly as just the primary coil wire 10$
Something I learned on
easyauto diagnostics.com
>>
>>1510565
This is true. School only taught me what to never do.

Protip: 90% of old men have bad advice about fixing cars.
>>
>>1510232
Ericthecarguy and scotty kilmer in all his... eccentricity.
>>
If it doesn’t interest you then this will never work. Wrenching can be rewarding but is often stressful, has a steep learning curve, extremely difficult work. You have to have a deep desire to progress as a mechanic to get any better and even then you gotta pay to play. Without this desire you’re pretty munched fucked. Anything worth learning is gonna be a bitch otherwise everyone would do it. That being said nothing feels better than self reliance.
>>
>>1513024
>Protip: 90% of old men have bad advice about fixing cars.

How can that be mathematically possible?
>>
>>1514210
>How can that be mathematically possible?

if 9 out of 10 give bad advice, that's how. I suppose he's referring to all old men, and not just those who work on cars.

The average on /o/ seems to run about 50:50.
>>
>>1514219
I guess "old" is a relative term. People who drove cars in the 70's had to file points and shit on a regular basis and there grand parents had to grind valves. I disagree
>>
>>1514231
My boomer old man neighbors are some weekend warriors but they suck at diagnosing anything that can’t be fixed with starter fluid and fresh oil. They don’t understand that it’s 2018 and we have OBD-II plus Google.
>>
>>1514303
>and fresh oil.

no boomer ever looked at a car that ran like shit and said "hey man it needs frash oil"

btw I like you
>>
>>1514305
That’s literally what my neighbors did when they brought me that generator a couple months back. They were like “We put oil in it and sprayed carb cleaner and starter fluid in there but it won’t stay running” and they didn’t even know there was an oil filter.
>>
>>1514303
Hmm. Maybe I'm stuck in the middle. I was born in 77 and have experienced the old and new. I have a piece of paper that says that I am a mechanic and have often been amused at young ones misinterpreting data from OBD. I have learned the most from books and my elders. I am not past using the internet but, there is a lot of bullcrap there. Just look at this thread. I am older now and I have believed since I was young that experience "is" overrated though. With that said, there is reason to respect elders. They were young once too. Can't see that being old makes you stupid.
>>
File: Autel updates.jpg (155 KB, 900x674)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1514475
>amused at young ones misinterpreting data from OBD

Not young (75) but the comments caused me to remember to check for updates on my Autel MD805.
Sure enough, there are some. They're ones I'll never use but I'll download them anyway coz' they're free so why not.
>>
>>1514475
There’s the other side of the coin too- you get the younger generation that will be lost if they run into an uncommon issue that isn’t throwing a code. The best they can do is start throwing parts at it.
>>
>>1514696
Yep. I laugh at arrogant fucks that think they are mechanics and better than old ones because they have a social media account. Perfect example, I went by a shop I hang around and was asked about high idle on a car that they threw all kinds of parts at. No code. I picked up the diagnostic handheld and noticed that the temperature was mediocre as compared to the heat my beard was feeling. The temp gage on the dash indicated normal because it was. Swapped two sensors around on the engine and idle was normal and gage read zero. Seven bucks and ten minutes including diagnose and repair. They had a hand full of guys f'ing with it for a few days. Bet they charged the customer for some crazy shit and can't realize how dumb the are. I bet they were talking shit about my old ass when I left.
>>
>>1514882
Halfway through that story I was thinking to myself “how many thousands of dollars did they bill that customer”. I’m sure they ate the cost of the dumbass mechanics.
>>
>>1512160
Would that work on old rust buckets like MB100 / Mercedes 208?
>>
>>1514509
You are 75 years old?
>>
>>1515368
No idea what year those are and don’t care to look.

Post 1996 cars/trucks required to have this, meaning obd 2. Cars for a few years before this, in my experience 1990-1995 have a “dumb” version called obd 1. This might extend back into 80s models but I don’t know and don’t care to look.

Google if your merc has OBD II or OBD I. It’s stands for On Board Diagnostic. If it’s fuel injected and has a even a simple ECU it will have some kind of way to read sensors errors/values. If it’s old it you may need special connectors to hook it up. OBDI/II have a standardized female connector. Have fun. Use google next time.
>>
>>1515368
OBD-II is MY1997 and newer I think? Maybe 1996. So if your car is older than that, probably not. The few years before that lots of cars had some sort of OBD system but the brands all have different connectors and it isn’t standardized as much as it is now so you need a scan tool that can read those codes.
>>
>>1515372
>You are 75 years old?
Until mid April.

>>1515376
>Cars for a few years before this, in my experience 1990-1995 have a “dumb” version called obd 1.
For these I have an OTC 4000E. It comes in a friggin suitcase with books and connectors and adapters to be able to connect to all those different diagnostic ports. It also needs 'cartridges' to hold the software for updates.
>>
>>1515407
You scared the smack talking noobs outa here.

Much respect.
>>
>>1515407
wow, a genuine oldfag™©®
>>
Bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.