[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Apartment.png (678 KB, 941x494)
678 KB
678 KB PNG
TLDR: Any advice for a cheap place to live and still have a workshop

Fellow single DIYnosaurs living on their own... What advice do you have for someone who's looking for a new place to live. At first I wanted to get an apartment with a detached garage. Sounded perfect. But unfortunately only places with a really high base rent even give you the option. I've looked on sites like Zillow and Apartmetns.com for cheap townhouses, but haven't found anything.

Another option is getting a 2 bedroom apartment and converting one of the bedrooms to a workshop, but I feel like the noise would be an issue. Maybe not?

Any advice? Living in Phoenix AZ if that helps.
>>
>>1508587
My brother rented a storage unit and just turned that into a workshop.
>>
>>1508587
Rent a house with a garage and a roommate.
>>
>>1508606
Not a bad idea. Having to drive somewhere kinda sucks though.
>>
>>1508587
generic search sites like zillow kinda suck for finding rentals.
try to find the names of the most prominent property management companies in your area, and inquire with them directly.
i do minor home hobby stuff (mainly electronics) in my 2 bdrm apt, no issues.
i have a garage with it that i could use. but i prefer the convenience of working on stuff in my bedroom
>>
>>1508675
Thanks for the tip. I do robotics mostly. So while some could easily be done in a bedroom, things like drills, bandsaws, dremels, and mills are more tricky
>>
>>1508662
They're cheaper, you can get what ever size you need and if you got more shit, you can easily switch to a bigger storage room. Also you won't usually have noise complaints.
>>
>>1508662
Yeh, but he can't afford anything else because we're millennials. He rents a room at my uncles place and spends most of his extra cash on ryobi and basic hand tools. Right now he's just toying around with stuff for when he starts getting paid enough for a real home. (low voltage electrician)

Tbh I'm a bit jelly, but shouldn't be. I live with and work for my dad. He pays me like a Mexican but you can't beat 24/7 access to a garage. I've never worked with wood though and there's no room to move that shit into a place of business.
>>
>>1508587
I always hated this problem when I lived in the states. Even when you find a garage for rent, people don't want you filling every corner of it with wood dust, and setting up a proper ventilation system in some rental that could only end up lasting a year sounds like a big waste of time and energy. Fortunately, where I am now, there are a lot of small garage communities where units are considered standard small time workshops. Not only are people happy to rent to someone that will be checking on their unit and spending time in the area regularly, it's also easy to find someone that has tools or expertise that you are missing.
>>
>>1509854
Right? Why is it so hard to find a little box to build things in?
>>
>>1509854
Howd you afford to leave America. It feels impossible with a blue collar career.
>>
>>1510164
>Howd you afford to leave America. It feels impossible with a blue collar career.

He saved his landscaping wages and went back to Mexico, where he is now a rich man. Years ago, that was a viable retirement option, and I actually considered it. Up until that first cartel video.
>>
>>1508682
you can do all this in an apartment except maybe the bandsaw and mill. Do it if the sun is up if you're not a shithead. It's 9p and my neighbor sounds like he's been throwing his dogs at the wall for an hour and there's nothing I can do about it. Get a space with a hardwood floor, throw down some cheap office carpet and go to town. Keep a shop vac around. Obviously, don't do things that require ventilation or can stick to the ceiling/walls. I've been doing electronic and (small) wood projects in apartments for years. You can't go overboard with project crawl though. Pick one thing, accomplish it, assemble it, and move on because space is the biggest issue with doing things inside.
>>
>>1509851
I think the rent you don't have to pay more than makes up for it.
>>
>>1510164
Just save up half a mil and you are set for life in some poor country. Just don't come here, we're full.
>>
>>1510846
I do pay rent. Even if I didn't, I'm a mechanic/autoglass tech with 8 years of experience and my girlfriend makes more than me to walk dogs m8. I'd make more than double what I do anywhere else.

So no. 24/7 shop access helps though.
>>
>>1508587
I'm in Florida, and the guy that I go to for car troubles has his own garage in one of those self-storage places. He's not alone, sometimes I go and the whole place is lit with people working in their storage units, from car mechanics to welders to carpenters, etc.
>>
>>1508587
Apartment dweller here. Got a 2 bedroom unit. I use my second bedroom for my workroom. I mostly work on computers and electronics. I would rent a garage here but no power and fuckin thieves. I want to get into wood working but people would bitch about it.

Cant find a cheap place to rent to use as a workshop because this city has a stupid ass campaign going on to draw businesses to this place and to have people start a business. People are selling buildings for too much (including houses) and rentals are getting remodel so the price is going up. Most of these places are on the two main streets (and near the main streets) so that's another reason why some of these places are so damn expensive.

Most of these businesses that are starting up are fuckin restaurants, bars, wine bars/wineries, micro breweries, and thrift/junk/shabby chic stores. This shit has been coming and going (most of these places don't stay open for more than 5 years, some don't even make 2 years) for the past 10 years, same shit and most of the time in the same buildings.

>>1508606
Not all storage units have power. I was thinking about this but the lack of power kills it (haven't check out all the storage units yet) and thieves.
>>
>buying or renting

Build a tiny house or RV, go to a makerspace.
>>
>>1510986
And you call yourself a man? Talk it over with pops, if you are unable to get better terms out of him use the experience you already have as leverage to get a well paying job elsewhere.
>>
>>1511092
Yeah I think his only has a couple outlets and it does get in the way
>>1511135
I'm not complaining my dude. I will be leaving soon but right now the 24/7 shop access is more beneficial for me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.