[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Do you blame him for the current state of the western animation industry outside of Disney's Animation Studio?
>>
Not necessarily, all decades got their trends, he was just unlucky to start the one we have right now.
>>
>>107608626
No, the AT trend he started only lasted a few years and if you wanna get deep into it you could say that whatever trend he started probably had some inspiration from Flapjack
>>
>>107608661
>the AT trend he started only lasted a few years
We are still in the AT trend, you just haven't noticed it because you're too busy jerking it to all the 2D underaged girls.
>>
>>107608644
Pretty much. A lot of things wrong with the industry right now isn't being caused by him, but by the people who followed in his wake. Daron Nefcy, Rebecca Sugar, Ian Jones-Quarterly, etc. and now we're gonna get a new wave of shows still trying to grab Ward's style with Forever 12 being the most blatant ripoff of Adventure Time in the bunch.
>>
>>107608626
If you mean CalArts style, it's not his fault. It's not even the fault of Calarts. The problem lies in everything else: cheap production, tight production, sloppy storyboarders, oversized writers rooms with no central direction, constant cycling of fresh talent that push out experienced people, bad outsource studios, good outsource studios not given the proper amount of artistic freedom and input, etc.

Those problems lead to bad shows. We've just come to associate bad shows with the prevailing style.
>>
File: TOM ALLEY CAT.png (760 KB, 795x511)
760 KB
760 KB PNG
>>107608715
I was talking more about how more and more shows are board-driven, staffed by the creator's personal friends, and being managed poorly and with a horizontal hierarchy to the point that nobody's actually in charge and it's amazing that the production company didn't cancel everything.
But yeah the homogenized 'Cal-Arts' style is also a huge problem, though I'd say this is because the schools and teachers no longer teach many of the base concepts that the old guard animators like nearly all of the people who worked on classic Tom and Jerry relied heavily on.
>>
>>107608783
Sure, these are all real problems, but they're systemic. I can't pin that on one guy, or even the industry.
>staffed by the creator's personal friends
Nepotism happens everywhere, but it's not so nefarious in this case. Animation is a long term group effort, and most people are going to pick people they can stand and trust (friends), or people they're had experience working with (fellow students).
>schools and teachers no longer teach many of the base concepts
Actually they still do, and there are plenty of artists now who can draw that way, even artists working on these CalArts shows. But their talents aren't translated to the screen, per the production problems. The majority of this stuff gets passed through to the same handful of outsource studios who may or may not be paid enough to care about it.

None of this is going to change unless there's a real demand for it from the viewing public, and it needs to be commercially justifiable. Right now, it seems breaking the CalArts mold doesn't lead to greater viewership. I'm sorry to say that.
>>
>>107608626
Where did he go? I checked his IMDb and he's not doing anything, he's just gone.
>>
>>107608626
No AT hasn't been influential even though it should have been. I do blame him for letting Sugar and Co. ruin his show though
>>
>>107608626
What does Guillermo del Toro has to do with the current state of animation? I like Trollhunters
>>
>>107608672
Hey pot, have we met

Anyway, you’re wrong. We have new shows with much more detail then Adventure time and in some cases smoother animation like in Hilda or detailed backgrounds like SU or even slightly more complex character designs like Craig of the creek

You’re a fag
>>
Hey guys it's me

I just wanted to let you know that the only thing I regret in life is blowing my chance with Jessica DiCicco. Argh. I should've left animal crossing at home instead of bringing it to that damn Beyonce concert
>>
>>107611356
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtBbMuAqh4
also recording it
>>
>>107608626
No the only issue with animation right now really is industry giants doubling down on "fuck traditional, fuck 2D, cartoons are just for little kids"
>>
>>107611356
>>107611373
yikes
>>
>>107611373
Pen seems like a really nice guy. I hope he's enjoying life :)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.