[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why has no other company been able to copy their success?
>>
>>107583682
Harry Potter.
>>
>>107583682
>Started the post credit scenes after every movie trend which other franchises now copy
>First proper superhero team-up movie which everyone thought was impossible
>two-parter finale event did the impossible, it lived up to the hype
>Didn't rush shit
They set the trends and took some risks, it paid off
>>
>>107583783
>Didn't rush shit
I got two iron man films that day you're wrong.
>>
money
>>
>>107583682
The people in charge have talent and actually care.

That’s fucking rare in Hollywood.
>>
>>107583682
They spent time with the first phase and made sure they were making decent solo movies that got people to care about the characters first and foremost. Each movie was a careful stepping stone to Avengers while being a complete film in and of itself.

Compare to DC, which rushed the fucking DEATH OF SUPERMAN into the second film.
>>
>>107583812

IM3 is underrated and good.
>>
>>107584358
IM3 has a lot of good ideas and some really, really shitty ones. Stuff like the "Mandarin"'s speeches were great.

>Fortune cookies are a curious thing. They look Chinese, they sound... Chinese. But they are an American invention. Which means they're hollow, full of lies, and leave a bad taste in your mouth.
>>
>>107584408

The entire sequence near the end of Tony rapidly switching between shitty armors as they get destroyed was really cool. Removing Stark from his armor and drawing a line between Stark / Iron Man is a smart character move.

I think it is a little weird how it is clearly structured as a the end of a trilogy and tries to put a pin in the Iron Man story despite the fact that they're pushing ahead with a ton more Iron Man content. If memory serves he destroys the armors and basically decides to not be Iron Man anymore after that movie, then by Civil War it's been hand-waved away.
>>
>>107584142
>Tony Stark finally dies after 10 long years being the unofficial main character of the MCU
>his death is permanent and has a lot of emotional weight, dying after completing the mission he set after the events of The Avengers
>this is all after RDJ was allowed to be extremely charismatic in the role, leaving audiences emotionally devastated when he finally died
>WB lets Snyder and Goyer kill off Superman in only the SECOND movie of the entire cinematic universe
>the death is entirely cheapened by the fact that OBVIOUSLY he was going to come back in the next movie
>no one really liked this version of Superman anyway and we barely got to know him after only two movies so his death fell incredibly flat
I'm still not sure who the fuck thought that was a good idea. Everything about the DCEU up until Aquaman and I guess WW to a lesser extent was just baffling.
>>
>>107583682
It was handled primarily by comic book writers which have been doing this kind of story telling for decades focus on making individual films work while filling the gaps in with small future references. Don’t worry if it sounds good just make it look good. DC is primarily handled by film makers who prioritize grand visions over small set ups
>>
>>107583682
One has Kevin Feige, who legitimately likes comics, the other has Zack Snyder, who thinks Batman should get raped in prison.
>>
>>107583783
>>Started the post credit scenes after every movie trend which other franchises now copy

Pretty sure some of the X-Men movie had post credit scene before the MCU.
>>
They made movies which are 100% character driven and people liked the characters as they progressed. I didn't like iron man in iron man 1 but by spiderman and infinty war and endgame i liked him alot.
MCU never rushed anything, unlike snyder DC where we got supermans origin and him fighting zod in the first superman movie and then in his second appearance he fucking dies fighting doomsday.
>>
>>107583682
DC saw how much Avengers was making and wanted that, immediately. So after MoS (and GL, their first failed attempt at a shared universe), they jumped into the team-up movie they thought would bring in the big bucks, and fast tracked the big team movie before most of the actual team was introduced with some half-assed "We're going to do things backwards and spin them off from Justice League" excuse.

It's even more hilarious when you look at Aquaman which was highly successful, they could have slowed things down and done solo movies and people would have been fine with that as long as they weren't shit.

Also there was that universal monster Dark Universe thing which died with one movie. They should have stuck with it, they gave up after one disappointment. Imagine if they packed in the MCU after Incredible Hulk didn't break records.
>>
>>107583682
Because they refuse to copy Marvel's methods.
>>
>>107583812
Iron man 3 was pretty cool. Go rewatch it.
>>
Everyone else was looking for the "trick" to the MCU's success. The trick is that there was no trick, just a lot of patience, dedication, and real appreciation for the characters and stories they were telling.
>>
>>107584524
The movie literally ends with him saying "I am Iron Man" as he picks up a bunch of junk to start building shit
>>
>>107584524
Its was always weird to me how easily the Iron Man armors where destroyed during that movies. Made out of paper pretty much. Where as in the last movies the armors gets fucked up but not out broken. Hell Tony tanks a shot from Thor and it just charges his armor.

I know the excuse is that armors where shoddily built but I still didn't like it. Atleast when Thanos fucks up the armor in IW you can feel the weight behind those hits
>>
The studios are giving up too soon because they aren't seeing close to a billion in ticket sales. It took 5 movies before Avengers got that billion, most studios want it in half that time.
>>
>>107584739
>Imagine if they packed in the MCU after Incredible Hulk didn't break records
Marvel had no choice but to do it like they did, though. This was before they were bought by Disney and they had taken out an assfuckingly huge loan to finance Marvel Studios.

WB and Universal had enough money that they had options. Marvel was fucked if they failed.
>>
>>107583682
Other companies do not plan their shit out and want Avengers money immediately
>>
>>107583682
THE HEART
>>
>>107584942
Only one that has really worked out is the Monsterverse and even then that's not a reall "shared" movie universe. Its only going to be 4 movies.
>>
>>107584907

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKs8qmOOSxA

The whole point of this movie is separating Stark from the armor. At least on my first viewing, between making a big show of destroying all the armors and removing the shrapnel from his heart, the way I interpreted it was that he didn't need the armors anymore.
>>
>>107585014

Because he is "Iron Man" even without them
>>
>>107584739
>Also there was that universal monster Dark Universe thing which died with one movie. They should have stuck with it
The Mummy literally bombed both financially and criticallly so that wasn't gonna happen
>>
File: gr.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Can i get a good movie now? please
>>
>>107584813
There is a small trick in the sense that you need to start slowly, get solid foundation movies and build up to something bigger but studios don't want to do that
>>
>>107585045
I don't even know how that Universe was supposed to work? Beyond "This monster fights this monster!" people are used to cinematic universes building up to a major movie. What the hell would have been their Avengers?
>>
>>107585004
K-Kubo ?
>>
>>107584685
>Killing Superman
>On his second movie
>On the second movie of the DCEU
I will never understand this.
What were they thinking
>>
>>107585112
Hint at a supreme king of monsters, like Dracula or something, and then put all the heroes from each of the monster movies together to fight him. Easy.
>>
>>107585112

Van Helsing kills them all.
>>
>>107583682
There is no other brand that is diverse enough to handle as many films, except DC.
They have hundreds of characters with their own worlds to make stories out of. Every other big film franchise (Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.) just feels like you're seeing watered down versions of the main thing when you see spinoffs, Marvel movies feel like their own thing.

Plus, no one wants another big film universe. You already get two to three Marvel movies a year, no one wants to see two to three movies in another franchise.

Anything that copies the same style of cinematic universe just feels like the generic brand. People don't want a substitute of Marvel, they want Marvel.
>>
>>107585184
I think they already did a Dracula movie. It came out before The Mummy remake but no remembers it cause it was eh. I think they where playing him up as an anti-hero rather then straight villain.

>>107585209
>Van Helsing is the Dark Universes Captain America
>Lost for many years only to reappear in modern day

I don't know if I really like this idea or hate it.
>>
>>107585231
It would be possible with Star Wars I think, but they're too attached to the original trilogy
>>
>>107585255
Dracula Untold. And yeah, just like Green Lantern, it was supposed to initially be the start of the cinematic universe
>>
File: 1515107973883.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
it comes down to feige

he is: 1) extremely competent. he IS an actual comic geek. he reads comics ever wednesday not just because it's good for his job but because he enjoys it as a fan just like /co/

2) it's only feige. no suits. no fucking producers trying to leave their mark so they can brag to other producers, no fucking back-stabbing dick-measuring office politics. it's just him

every other studio has failed at it, although the godzilla guys seem to be on top of their shit, based
>>
>>107585271

I'm not sure why they're bothering with continuing the structure of trilogies moving forward. I understand launching Disney's Acquisition of SW with a trilogy but I really don't see the point in announcing another trilogy before this one has even concluded. No one is under the illusion that Star Wars is finite anymore, we will get a star wars every year until we die the pretense of doing trilogy after trilogy just doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>>107585311
That's true. Godzilla is the only other universe that's properly planned out and has a big goal (Godzilla vs. Kong). I'm not sure if they will keep going afterwards and I'm honestly worried if people will get bored by kaiju movies but it's the only other cinematic universe doing itself well
>>
>>107585311
>although the godzilla guys seem to be on top of their shit

Probably because Toho didn't want another Zilla 98 and made sure they stayed somewhat true to the character.

Then again once Godzilla vs Kong is out, Toho is restarting its own Godzilla Universe and you can argue they already proved they could do it during the Showa Era

>Ghidorah The Three Headed monster was the Showa era's Avengers
>>
>>107585231
>There is no other brand that is diverse enough to handle as many films, except DC.
This is exactly why a DC cinematic universe should be as big as Marvel's.

>>107585271
This too. Man fuck the people in charge of that. I'm sick of them pushing the OT down everyone's throats.
>>
File: avi_arad.jpg (38 KB, 349x524)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Would the MCU still managed to have scaled the heights it did had Avi Arad and Feige not fallen out in 2009?
>>
>>107585311
Feige threatened to quit the MCU when the Horn guy was telling him to use Hulk for Civil War instead of Stark because RDJ was too expensive
>>
File: 1546790125417.png (369 KB, 400x600)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>
>>107583783
>First proper superhero team-up movie
X-Men.
>>
>>107585141
Synder had a huge boner for the Jesus allegory
>>
>>107585431
You know damn well what he meant by that.
>>
>>107585431
Teamup=!Ensemble cast
>>
>>107585341
This pretty much. The first two trilogies felt special because you felt like their was going to be a definite end at some point and that was it. But like you said their are going to be new main line star wars movies forever.

The only way around that and to make it feel special again is if Disney stole its own formula
and instead made each trilogy movie a culmination of smaller movies before it. Like of course, Marvel.
>>
>>107585407
>Avi Arad feels that he’s not getting enough credit for the success of Marvel Studios. Following a profile of current Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige in Bloomberg Businessweek last month, Arad — currently working with Sony on its own Marvel franchise, The Amazing Spider-Man — wrote an email to complain about the way in which he was portrayed in the piece.

>“I am sure you were told by Marvel that I resigned over the self-financing strategy,” Arad wrote to the profile’s author, Devin Leonard, in an email he then released publicly. “It is about time for a reporter like you to do your homework and check the facts. It will sound arrogant to you, but I single-handedly put together the Marvel slate. Read it carefully and you will notice the natural progression of the character’s design to get to where we are today.” Arad went on to report that Marvel’s financing “would never have happened without me reaching out to [Paramount Studios CEO and Chairman] Brad Grey to make a distribution deal that will give you a corporate guarantee… The big presentation to financial institutions and insurance companies took place on the Paramount lot. I was the presenter and it worked. Does this sound to you like someone who disagreed with the strategy to make our own movies?” The producer berated Leonard for what he called “unprofessional self-serving work,” although he pointed out that he has “forgiven Kevin for following orders and taking the credit, but he had no choice.” Because nothing says forgiveness like sharing emails berating others who share what the forgiven has to say about a particular matter, obviously.
>>
>>107584910
>Hell Tony tanks a shot from Thor and it just charges his armor.
I mean, that literally happened in their first meeting.
>>
>>107583682

Because they try to keep "copying" it exactly how it is anon, Other companies need to learn to do their own thing to be competitive and not just brainlessly try to copy Marvel.

For instance, DC doesn't need to build a big universe of individual films and bring them together exactly like Marvel. DC can do something like adapting Kingdom Come, doing a big cast super hero movie story that's it's own film and not connecting to others. DC can pull off stuff like that because they have better source material for it.
>>
>>107583682
Grew impatient
>>
>>107585583
Bull-fucking-shit, they literally tried to do something like that already with JL and it barely broke even and was disappointing as shit commercially.

If anything, the success of Aquaman, WW, and Shazam show more than anything that they should've just started with solo movies to begin with. The problem with WB is that they copied Marvel in all the ways they shouldn't without copying what they should've.
>>
>>107585430
Another good point. She made some calls that a lot of anons didn't initially agree with, but have really panned out longterm.
>>
>>107585421
that was ike, not horn. horn is disney's movie division boss, but at the time, ike was in between kevin and alan. kevin got pissed and went directly to alan/iger and said, either split off ike and his shitty committee/inhumanfaggotry or i walk. and thus here we are today

horn however is also the one who fired gunn without telling kevin/iger was on vacation. luckily kevin is so fucking based and his track record speaks for itself that he managed to convince them to bring james back. we truly don't deserve him, he is a true /co/mrade, dude knows actual issue numbers and artists/arcs and shit like the most hardcore fan on here. he has nothing else to prove with the MCU, iger seriously should fire kennedy after skywalker and put kevin in charge to fix the whole ship, it'd be the ultimate challenge, if he pulled it off, he'd be nerd god mt rushmore for life
>>
>>107585675
How does everything I learn about Ike make him seem even MORE retarded
>>
Because shitboxes need underdogs to curb their rampant desire to curbstomp anything trying to be something. No one in the get shit done department actually believed Robert Downey Jr was going to pull up when Edward Norton attempted to "save" Marvel Comics Movies. They were busy infiltrating and sabotaging other things. By the time the MCU was a thing it was a thing big enough to milk. Even two boring Thors and a director walk off from Ant-man and The Wasp two founding members couldn't stop it by that point. We'll see if it goes to shit after Far From Home. You'll know it's gone to shit when Eternals makes the kind of right decisions that got Aquaman so popular.
>>
>>107585729

He's a miserly old spiteful cunt, that's about the beginning and end of it.
>>
>>107585729
Nothing beats the paperclips.

For those that don't know, he walked into the Marvel offices once and saw someone's trash had a stack of memos held with a paperclip. He took the paperclip out and gave it back to the staffer because it saved money.

Taking down all the FF and X-Men posters in the office is up there though.
>>
>>107585421
>Hulk and Ross joining sides
Makes me laugh whenever I see it
>>
>>107585729
>>107585828
On top of the infamous catering story, he also refused to have bottled water provided for press events because the actors "can drink on their own money".
>>
>>107583705
Nope, they focused on the same set of main characters instead of sub franchises that would crossover later.
>>
>>107583812
Iron man came out in 2008, im2 was in 2010. It was bad but it wasn't rushed.
>>
>>107583705
Harry Potter had exactly one spinoff franchise after a single multi-movie storyline, and that spinoff went to shit over the course of two movies, so I have no idea what you’re talking about.
>>
>>107584524
It was designed as an end as that was the last movie they had Downey contracted for (at the time) and negotiations were going badly.

This was common before ike perlmutter was the first person to be told to fuck off to /TV/ in real life.
>>
>>107585983
um sweetie harry potter is unstoppable
~expelliarmuses your post away~
>>
They took their time and established a very hard baseline of quality based around charismatic protagonists and decent humor. Marvel movies won't always blow your socks off, but they very rarely feel like a waste of time, either. It's very very difficult to manage that kind of consistency and they deserve credit for having the right people in place to make it happen. It means if you see Marvel Studios, you'll know you're likely to at least kind of enjoy it.
>>
>>107584549
>no one really liked this version of Superman
I did.

Which just makes me more pissed off that Cavill and Affleck are gone.
>>
>>107584644
Which Kevin feige was also a producer on as well as Sam rami spiderman. The man really is a talent.
>>
>>107583682
Legendary/Toho about to make you look like a damn fool.
>>
File: 1535132932020.jpg (87 KB, 534x800)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>107583682
DC, if they make a quick reboot at the movies
>>
>>107585502
Honestly there were many people who did key decisions that made Marvel studios formula work.
There's this guy called David Maisel who suggested they should produce their own movies instead of letting others (Sony, Universal,etc) doing that work.
>>
>>107585675
>>107585729
Serious question, how close did Ike come to irrevocably fucking the MCU?
>>
>>107586041
People have already brought that up. Godzilla, King Kong, and now King of the Monsters look like they're taking the exact right steps that the MCU did. King of the Monsters especially might be a real hit, given how glowing all the audience reactions have been.

Personally I would hope they continue past Godzilla vs. King Kong, but who knows what'll happen beyond that point.
>>
>>107586005
I'm so glad Tumblr grew out of fandoms.
>>
>>107586193
You can't give character arcs to kaijus and there isn't as many, once they've all fought each other there's not much else desu
>>
>>107585112
Monster Squad remake
>>
>>107586146
extremely

rdj almost walked
favreau almost walked
sam jackson almost walked
other actors as well as directors openly talked about how insulting the pay was compared to the rest of hollywood studios

ike was a cancer, and almost stereotypically jewed the studio out of success.

eternals is such an unexpected followup for the infinity saga, but it makes sense now on close examination
> will probably go a little bit into thanos' backstory/tie that end up
> will probably expand on celestial lore which was teased in guardians and other cosmic concepts/possibly tease galactus, other races
> eternal/deviants/humans being celestial fuckery will open the door for x-gene acceptance into the MCU ahead of schedule

based kevin
>>
>>107586219
Heisei Gamera did a good job with this by linking him to that girl.
>>
File: spider fire.jpg (20 KB, 475x318)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
The biggest thing is that the people behind the MCU always have some sort of plan. The first parts of phase one all introduced plot elements that affected other films, and came together to form the payoff of Avengers. They have one main head of the studio looking at all these projects to make sure that there is communication between different writers and directors. They even had different versions of Civil War written in case they couldn't get Spider-Man. I've even heard that they had ideas for X-Men and FF long before the Fox merger was a thing.

Meanwhile, the best way I could describe DC's early attempts to copy it is "hitting the gas instead of the brakes". They had no real plan, and chose to adapt Death of Superman in the second movie, realized they can't have a big DC crossover without him, and have to quickly resurrect him. They also hastily reedited and reshot Suicide Squad and Justice League in a desperate attempt to be more "fun". Everything was poorly planned, and the best things (WW, Aquaman, and Shazam) were when they stopped trying to hastily copy Marvel in all the wrong ways.
>>
>>107586193
I always thought it was a good sign when that one exec greenlighted Godzilla vs King Kong just for the sole reason of wanting to see them fight.
>>
>>107586146
I know RDJ very nearly left due to Ike's bullshit. Hemsworth actually was going to leave but he enjoyed Ragnarok so much he not only stayed, but re-signed his contract to be in the next phase.
>>
I'm really curious on pop culture perceptions of Marvel and DC in ten years. A whole generation is growing up with all superheroes and their archetypes basically being summed up by Marvel characters and Marvel dominating pop culture. Meanwhile DC isn't even following up the success of Wonder Woman and Aquaman with a cartoon or animated movie or whatever, just more Batshit.
>>
>>107586932
Feels like if things didn't come to a head management wise during Civil War, phase 3 might've been where the whole thing actually crashed and burned.
>>
>>107586997
I keep saying this but there's some kind of voodoo magic around Feige. Every time it looks like something is going to capsize the MCU, somehow things work out in his favor. Avengers actually working and successful, GOTG becoming a hit, separating entirely from Ike, acquiring Spider-Man to use in movies, and probably the biggest one, Gunn getting fired then rehired and nobody got mad.
>>
>>107587029
I read about it a bit and sometimes it feels like a miracle that Iron Man 1 even came out, muchless that it was as good as it was.
>>
>>107587063
Iron Man 1's production was absolutely nuts. Literally didn't have a script for a fair amount of time and RDJ pre-2008 was big "are u serious bro?".
>>
>>107585431
You're Half-right.

The difference is that the X-Men were established as a single identity in their movies. Its why they were reliant on Wolverine as a main character.

The Avenger took characters who were the main leads of their respective films, and have them work together as a team. And it paid off.
>>
>>107584994
And Disney bought out Marvel, and got that loan, because of the success of Iron Man.

And Iron Man always had the potential to be an A-Lister. Some people did grow up with him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

The success of the MCU owes to many things. To Feige. To the guy who pitched the idea of just making their own movies. And to RDJs charisma. And to Iron Man.
>>
>>107586193
Depending on how things go I actually wouldn't mind another couple solo Mothra movies. I'm probably among the small handful that remember the solos from back in the day, and given the reaction some have had towards Legendary's Mothra, I think she'd do decently. Provided there's another left behind to carry on after KotM.
>>
>>107587197
Yeah, just imagine half the cast of the X-men as portrayed in the X-men series trying to lead solo movies. They were basically the Wolverine show co-starring Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen and everyone after that point is as much a viable main character as Happy Hogan.
>>
>>107583682
Kevin fiege is the reason
>>
File: godzilla-jameson.jpg (329 KB, 874x398)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>107586193
Some day, we'll see this happen on the big screen.
Maybe not today.
Maybe not in the next 10 years.
But some day.
>>
>>107587240
The success of the MCU also owes a bit to Marvel just straight up not having the lowest common denominator options in their pocket. They could've given any monkey any Spider-Man script and expected to rake in the cash, but they actually had to dig down and try to make something special to spin their B-list straw into gold after the one ringer they had left, The Hulk, didn't measure up.
>>
>>107584739
Didn't they try to start the dark universe 3 time? First with Dracula Untold that failed, then some Frankenstein's monster movie that also failed and now the Mummy that super failed.
>>
>>107583783

Honestly. It's about making a solid movie, teasing at things and not compromising to get things faster. Lots of stuff in the MCU doesn't pay off or had to be retconned/ignored. A lot of it did have a pay off and built. Flexibility it huge. WB wanted a batman vs superman movie before man of steel ever came out, before nolan had success, it was an idea WB wanted. They pushed this idea onto snyder. They compromised their franchise and did so with no build up and it didn't pay off.
>>
>>107585009
They say that much I bet if King of Monsters does well they'll pump out some more.
>>
>>107585056
Back to tv with you
>>
>>107584549
>I'm still not sure who the fuck thought that was a good idea

Jon Peters and the other producers of superman films. If you watch "The Death of Superman Lives" it all makes sense. In Hollywood producers fall in love with some ideas and don't let go till they get it. The whole "giant spider" thing in Superman to seeing it in Wild Wild West is an example of this. Jon Peters feel in love with the idea of killing a superman, especially after Princess Diana died. He wanted that kind of imagery and emotional weight in a movie. He thought it being superman was enough, you could do it in one movie. That's introduce superman, mourn over him, and resurrect him, in one movie. Doing it across thee was better, but still a bad idea. Peters eventually got separated from superman after man of steel, but his taint on the franchise stayed. Other people involved, the nolans, Roven, Snyder, they had this idea and WB agreed to it, and they ended up doing it still.

WB is far too producer controlled, they like ideas, they like imagery, they obviously love Snyder for this. No one at WB cares about narrative or anything else. Moments sell to them more than anything else.
>>
>>107583682
Because the other companies try and make movies and don’t buy out the reviews like Disney does.

It’s all a conspiracy to give Disney the monopoly on everything
>>
File: like tears in the rain.gif (289 KB, 448x256)
289 KB
289 KB GIF
>>107585583
>>107585642
>>107587694
Agree with first anon. The ONLY people who could've rushed this "cinematic universe" thing was DC because their characters are that iconic. EVERYONE knows Superman and Batman's deal and their origins. Everyone knows the Justice League, it's THE superhero team. And while lesser known, people understand the rest of JL on just a glance. The Flash is a fast guy, Aquaman controls water and talks to fish, and Wonder Woman is a strong warrior girl. Would it have been infinitely better to have just done origin movies and then Justice League? Yeah, probably.
But going from Superman movie -> Batman vs Superman/Justice League set-up -> Justice League really wasn't a terrible strategy. The PROBLEM was that Snyder and his horrid shit writers fucked up both BvS and JL so horribly at a conceptual level. Like others in thread already said, "Hey guys let's jam Death of Superman into the 2nd movie of our cinematic universe lol".

Marvel had their hands tied. They knew they had to introduce Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America in their own movies if they were going to pull off Avengers because they were B-tier characters that no one gave a shit about in 2010.
Even now I still love my DC boys more than Marvel characters, and it hurts bros.
>>
>>107585056
You're going to get a streaming series and you're going to like it.
>>
>>107585502
>It will sound arrogant to you, but I single-handedly put together the Marvel slate

I believe him, but it's a dumb fucking point to make. The slate being the movies, iron man, hulk, cap, thor, avengers. What else would have been on marvels slate? Do shang chi first? Do Ant-man first...which they almost did 3rd. He's acting like doing the films leading to avengers isn't what anyone else would have done. It's the most logical move to make. Whether it was his slate or not, why give him credit for doing the obvious?
>>
>>107587656
>then some Frankenstein's monster movie that also failed

I think that one was at Fox.

And this is really weird because remember, Universal HAD a monster universe before, back in the 30's and 40's! They just didn't know how to handle the Dark Universe properly.
>>
>>107585421

this was never a serious movement or suggestion that went anywhere.
>>
>>107587811
>Death of Superman Lives
One of my favorite documentaries. I can't believe these people manage to stay in business.
>>
File: Time to be the captain.jpg (132 KB, 1400x737)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Reminder: movie audiences have a greater emotional connection Rocket Raccoon than to any DC character.
This is the timeline we live in.
>>
>>107583682
Typically major movie studios are adverse to risk-taking, but Disney and Marvel have enough faith in Feige and the directors they hire to sit back and let talented people with vision make generally good movies. Compare to Warner and DC, where executive meddling is par for the course and the movies generally end up shitty.
>>
>>107584813
>>107585061
These seem like the closest answer to me. MCU took superhero names that weren't as big as Batman, Spider-Man or Wolverine back then, they made solid movies about these characters, used end credits to tease their future projects, slowly and patiently built a strong brand over the years, and this brand recognition made audiences give them a chance and hype their trailers even when they were selling concepts that should've sounded silly on paper (I'm looking at GotG in particular).

DC's been trying to rush things quite desperately. Batman and Superman have been pushed to the front right off the bat, and they've tried to get quickly to the part with crossovers and a shared universe instead of doing it more slowly and organically like Marvel.
Also, I think they don't get the zeitgeist. Marvel's movies are comedic popcorn flicks while DC's been trying to do something more grim and heavy.

I'd love to see some entertaining DC cape movies. I'm more attached to their universe in comics, and they have already showed they can do pretty good animated takes on their characters. It shouldn't be impossible to adapt these characters into live-action movies, and I think it's a shame that it's apparently so difficult.
>>
>>107585729
Bad business sense and old money runs most of the major corporations. Why apple is getting shitter, they had an asshole who had vision, but he believed in magic crystals more than modern medicine when he needed it.
Look up Tom Rothman he is the reason why so many 20th century movies came out shitty.
>>
File: dance off bro.gif (1.1 MB, 429x343)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB GIF
It's funny how nuStar Wars did the opposite, didn't give the fans what they wanted to see and failed. Now nobody gives a shit about Star Wars. While the MCU is basically this generation's Star Wars.
>>
>>107585311
>he IS an actual comic geek
>he actually believes this
If he was he would have made more accurate adaptions of those comics.
>>
>>107589081
Only Robert Rodriguez has successfully made accurate comic book adaptations.
>>
>>107589081
>more accurate adaptions of those comics
Which is a pain in of itself.
>>
>>107588964
>MCU is basically this generation's Star Wars.
People say this but i just don't see it sticking like Star Wars did. Also am i too old for these movies or just too jaded because i just can't get enjoyment out of these movies?
>>
>>107589190
If you don't enjoy the most normie of normie shit, maybe you're just an intelligent nihilist with a wicked sense of humor?
>>
>>107588964
I dunno. Have you ever seen that really old essay about the paradox of Star Wars fans, and how they hate everything about their franchise? Star Wars fans have always kept complaining and that's not a new thing at all, but the movies still make shitloads of money.
I suppose they can look like failures in comparison to some of MCU's recent successes, though.

>>107589190
It's hard to predict yet how well these movies will stick in the long run, we'll only find out for sure years later. But my personal opinion is that the cliffhanger in Infinity War was something that will stay in everyone's memory for a very long time in a similar way as ESB's downer ending.
>>
>>107589081
If we got accurate comic adaptions the movies would be shit
>>
>>107589190
This generation can talk easily about capeshit though. When they talk about Star Wars it's just hurr lightsabers and force power. There's so much to talk about in the MCU and the future.

Heck we have 2 new Star Wars movies already, and still not a single likeable new character.
>>
>>107589623
>Heck we have 2 new Star Wars movies already
We have 4
>>
>>107589081
People overvalue comics accuracy so fucking much.
>>
>>107589081
A comic geek, not a comic purist. If you enjoy a work, but never consider that it could be improved in any way, you’re not reading very critically.
>>
>>107584644
I mean, fucking Super Mario Bros. had an after credits scene.
>>
File: cheepo.jpg (161 KB, 1242x1656)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>107589623
I like poe
>>
>>107586954
DC still has a fuck ton of cartoons and TV shows, so the people expecting them to die out or something are going to be disappointed.
I mean it wasn't even long ago we had literally 24 hour days of nothing but Teen Titans Go airing on CN and just this year we had Doom Patrol kino and hopefully Swamp Thing kino coming.
>>
>>107591551
The technical term for those is a "stinger".
>>
>>107583682
They're all ten years too late and trying to make up for all that time.

Just look at DC.
>>
>>107593095
It only took Marvel four years to go from Iron Man to Avengers.
>>
>>107586997
Imagine a Whedon-penned Infinity War and Endgame.
>>
>>107593149
yeah but they build up to it through the course of five movies. DC tried going Justice League after, what, three I think? Its obvious they were trying to replicate the success.
>>
>>107593221
What I'm wondering is why couldn't DC commit to 4 years instead of just excepting to succeed with no buildup?
>>
>>107589081
>avengers 2 storyboarding
>hey guys, ultron's a good avengers villain, let's use him
>UMM AKCHCUALLY we would have to introduce Hank Pym and a five minute subplot of him beating his wife and have him make Ultron
>fuck you we do what we want
And that's why Feige runs the ship
>>
>>107583783
Too bad the video games, animation stuff, and comics are garbage
>inb4 Spider-Man
>>
>>107583682
They went for the old school serials and movie crossover approach while making it appealing to as many people as possible.
But they went full gurl powah ala disney and RDJ was given a bit too much power and Perlmutter was being a greedy cocksucker and a lot of movies that should have been brilliant were raped like thor all of thor, ruffalo as hulk has been a fucking failure from jump..
Anyway

It did everything right and created great movies.
Hell bascially every movie in the MCU that wasn't allowed to have it's own unique story has aped the soft comedic aspects of the avengers movie but lifted everything and I mean everything from Norton Hulk's movie.
Shit look at bronsky's first fight with hulk.
Full on protocap america.
>>
>>107593263
This. He knows what from comics works abd what doesn't
>>
>>107587834
You know what must happen now
>>
Marvel built that shit up over 10 years. Every other company keeps trying to skip straight to "The Avengers".
>>
>>107585231
Anon, WB fucked up a Jonah Hex movie.

That's like the easiest fucking thing they could have ever fucking made.
Get Garth Ennis and some guy who can do good horror and action to write the fucking thing and have a booster gold cameo in there.
>>
>>107583682
Fast and the Furious probably pulled of a cinematic universe before Marvel did
>>
You people really do suck off and eat out that Disney cock/bung hole, don't you?
>>
>>107589081
hey retard he does a good job adapting them to the big screen, that's all you need

you think Millar's Civil War was a good?
>>
>>107588950
Bro, Jobs had fucking AIDs.
Like real deal full blown fucking AIDS.
That's how he died.

And his vision was theft.
Dude litterally copied the nintendo playbook from a-b.
The fucking Iphone is litterally a cheap knock off of the fucking DS.
The apple color background with idiots jumping around is a knock off of the play it loud campaign from the fucking 80's for christs sake.

The only thing he really did behind the scenes was fist everyone on deals to force the apple product onto the market and closed system everything.
>>
>>107585502
this guy got a lucky streak with Venom (which is shit but made money) and Spider verse (which got Oscars) but in reality this guy would've ruined everything in the first avengers
>>
>>107593429
If only there was an alternative...
>>
>>107589081
I would have liked a better thor...and for portman to be left out. Leave "Darcy" as the hot as fuck comic relief though.
Yes portman is hot and she gave me inapropriate boners as the jailbait from the professional and still gives me inapropriate boners when I think of dressing her up in her matilda costume complete with choker and...

I'll stop now.
Thor should have been their Superman and tried to keep out of human/midgard affairs because shit will go sideways if he pisses off Atum.

>>107593263
Anon...ultron was shit the entire movie was weak as fuck.
And the Vision was the worst addition to the entire goddamned MCU sense the Wasp.
I take that back. Diverstiy hire grandma CapMarvel is the worst addition. And you just know someone behind the scenes was pushing for that fuck up hard as shit.
>>
>>107593387
There will be a Gijoe meets Transformers movie before WB makes a good JLU movie.
>>
>>107593606
>Thor should have been their Superman and tried to keep out of human/midgard affairs because shit will go sideways if he pisses off Atum
Thor is the new Superman though.
https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/cultural-lessons-of-2013-thor-is-the-new-superman
>>
>>107589081
> muh accuracy meme
no medium is flawless, comics have good and bad too just like everything else

if feige was accurate then civil war would've been shit. tony & cap's conflict works because both were right. cap surrendering at the end? would've been a pile of shit
>>
>>107589190
it absolute is this generation's star wars

EVERYBODY knows who thanos is, he's like vader. he's that compelling and badass. feige pulled it off and kennedy crashed the star destroyer with no survivors. i'm still mad, i will always be mad, i will forever not be mad
>>
>>107583682
Why is Natasha not completely naked in every movie?
>>
>>107593606
>weak as fuck
>killed an Avenger
Sure. Ain't no one but Mr. T who's done worse
>>
>>107593915
Scarlett's shy about her belly button
>>
>>107594052
Explain.
>>
>>107585056
Enjoy your Robbie Reyes TV show, bro.
I know I will.
>>
>>107587811
>WB is far too producer controlled,

And Disney isn’t? That entire enterprise is creation by committee. Majority of their successful movies are directed by nobodies who don’t go on to have a thriving career for a reason
>>
>>107584685
>supermans origin
Why even bother with that. I don't get it. Everybody already knows.
>>
>>107594466
But what if this time we learn that Krypton was destroyed by Reagan Zolando?
>>
>>107583682
Kevin Feige
>>
>>107594358
MCU isn't. It's very much director controlled. For example Ragnorak was done improv as the director wanted and they pretty much abandoned the script that Marvel studios had created. Not to say that producers don't have input, but for the MCU, it's very clear the movies are more the vision of the writers/directors/actors than the producers.
>>
>>107585675
Alan Horn also runs Disney Studios. It doesn't help that a lot of his recent projects have crashed and burned (Wrinkle in Time, Mary Poppins Returns, Christopher Robin, etc) so Feige's star is ascendant while he is not doing so well in comparison.
>>
>>107583682
Because Disney has an unfair advantage
>>
>>107583682
Because they're TRYING to copy their success. You can't just do the same thing and expect it to work again.
>>
>>107594358
I mean all you have to do is look at how Feige runs Marvel Studios, he acts more like a good comics editor than a studio head.
Keeps people on the same page, allows directors to play to their own individual strengths and whatnot.
Most of the turbulent stuff from the MCU was before the creative committee got dissolved and after that Disney have had a fairly hands off approach really
>>
>>107586023
I liked Cavill a lot - thought he was perfect casting. It's just a shame that the movies he was in weren't that great.
MoS itself was fine though even the neck snapping but they did Pa Kent dirty.
>>
>>107594680
They had success before Disney.
>>
>>107583682
Marvel Studios is very competent and for some reason no other studio is capable of being competent.
>>
>>107584358

Iron Man 3 is a great film but a terrible MCU film.
>>
>>107594730
>Most of the turbulent stuff from the MCU was before the creative committee got dissolved and after that Disney have had a fairly hands off approach really
Do we actually know anything concrete the creative committee ACTUALLY did?
People shit on them a lot, but I've always wondered if that's just because Bendis was part of it. I think it's a great idea - kind of like the Lucasfilm storygroup - but it seems like it didn't work out, and I'm curious why.
>>
>>107594761
>great film but a terrible MCU film
What does that even mean?
How is it a bad MCU film?
>>
>>107594761

For what it's worth, they don't always go together.

Same goes for IM2.

Thor 2 is a bad MCU film and a bad film.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1. Great Film:Great MCU Film

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. Great Film:OK MCU film
>>
>>107594790

Well, you just gotta compare it to the rest of the MCU at that point. How does it treat its storytelling aspect etc. (Drops the ball on the story development for 10 rings that was in IM1 for example, and Mandarin)

But as a film on its own, it's pretty solid.
>>
>>107583812
Why don't you like fun, anon.
>>
>>107594820
Not every movie should have big, universe-spanning stakes though. It was just about Tony's fallout from Avengers, which makes it a good MCU film imo.
>>
>>107583682
Lucas did it eons ago
Spilberg did it eons ago
WB did it decades ago with both LOTR and HP
>>
>>107594868
LOTR is the only one of those that remotely applies.
>>
>>107594750
Sure, but I stand by what I said since Disney took over like 2 or 3 years into an 11 year franchise
>>
>>107594659
horn is also 76, so he has gotten older, his time is going to end soon

but horn still is a legend, he built post-modern WB into a great studio in the 2000s but then the idiot suits thought they weren't getting enough credit and forced him out for "retirement" and wanted to get younger/more controllable. and what did iger do? immediately snatched up horn and it was probably one of his best moves as CEO

look at what WB did under horn. absolute success

the perfect storm
the departed
happy feet
ocean's trilogy
sherlock holmes
batman begins trilogy
inception
million dollar baby
hangover trilogy
harry fucking potter
gran torino

everybody around hollywood was shocked WB let horn go, thought he was a lifer and he wasn't failing at his job.

look at WB since 2012, absolute trash
>>
>>107593275
man you're salty
>>
>>107594924
>look at WB since 2012, absolute trash
They've got the Hobbit, WW, and Aquaman... that's about all I can think of.
Hobbit might suck, but they made a shit ton of money, just like Hangover 2 and 3 and TDKR
>>
>>107594977
Nope I just telling the truth
>>
>>107594993
The Hobbit films are unironically better than the book, for the record.
>>
>>107584598
kek
>>
>>107583682
Most studios are impatient to set shit up, and the execs that run the studios have as much creativity as the typical /tv/ poster. Look at that failed Universal Monster CU that barely got off the ground or the disaster that is the DCCU.
>>
>>107595049
That may be the case, but it doesn't change the fact that they fucked the movies by trying to force it into a trilogy and giving Jackson no real time to plan.
>>
>>107583682
No other company has a budget like (((Disney™)))
>>
>>107595147
>No other company has a budget like (((Disney™)))
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>107595200
Well, not trying to be THAT guy, and I love endgame... But Did you see Endgame's budget?
>>
>>107595247
Not all that much higher, especially when you consider the fact that its predecessor made over 2 billion dollars. JL spent $300m+ without the previous profits to pay for it.
>>
File: laughing Aku copy.png (402 KB, 1600x1236)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>107586000
>ike perlmutter was the first person to be told to fuck off to /TV/ in real life.
>>
>>107595115
Also true. BOTFA was kind of a mess
>>
>>107594769
Gunn mentioned that they were the reason why most of Phase 1 and 2 villains were one dimensional and edited out scenes that developed them as actual characters.

Alan Taylor, Thor 2 director, mentioned more or less the same thing; he loved the filming phase but he got mad after he saw that final edition for the film cut most of Malekith scenes.
>>
>>107595282

Honestly, I'm surprise that its only that much higher.

Think about just HOW MANY PEOPLE are in Endgame. All of those big name actors that usually headline their own movies. The cast of Endgame is like 15 times larger than the cast of Justice League, and they don't work for free.
>>
>>107595325
It saved money by doing a lot of production alongside Infinity War.

Also, while those actors certainly don't work for free, think of how many of them barely had to do anything and probably got paid 6 figures to spend one day on set.
>>
>>107589212
woah so smart
>>
>>107594769

The idea of the creative team was a good one, the problem was that the specific people in control of that creative team were bad fits. They didn't have the vision to understand what made the MCU work and still made decisions like these were just older style Hollywood movies that as long as they made a buck that's all that mattered. They prioritized things like toy sales instead of the movies being good movies on their own, even fucking over movies for the sake of toys that never even got made anyway.

They were businessmen, first and foremost.
>>
>>107595282

I think this is the initial budget without contingency.
>>
>>107594769
>"Guardians of the Galaxy filmmaker James Gunn said they suggested his film ditch its 70s-infused soundtrack. Gunn also said the creative committee’s notes negatively impacted the “messy plot villain stuff” related to Ronan in the first Guardians."

>"The creative committee’s notes were also a source of frustration for filmmaker Edgar Wright, and are reportedly a major reason he decided to depart Ant-Man before production began."

"The Marvel Creative Committee also served as a roadblock of sorts during the development process, limiting the direct access filmmakers had to a yes or no answer from Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige"

http://collider.com/why-the-end-of-the-marvel-creative-committee-has-led-to-bolder-mcu-movies/

Gunn full answer posted on his Facebook page
>"There is some messy villain plot stuff in the first movie I'd like to deal with again. There was a committee working for Marvel at the time (now defunct) who had a lot of input, and that was primarily where it ended up. It just got a little messy."
>>
>>107595362
Plus a lot of those actors probably weren't getting g paid the same
>>
>>107595033
>Discussion is about how Marvel Studios is so successful and why other studios can't copy that success
>B-but g-games!
Wow anon you really aren't salty at all
>>
>>107593263
Besides the MCU not only takes details from the 616 comics but also from other sources, in this case they probably took the approach seen on the Next Avengers animated film where Stark is Ultron creator instead of Pym
>>
>>107591411
But they didn't improve shit. When it was clear that they will not adapt "Demon in a Bottle" arc i knew these movies aren't gonna be for me.
>>
>>107593263
Fuck you, i like Pym.
>>
>>107583682
neither Fox or WB wanted to bother in building up the shared universe
>>
>>107593487
Yes, Civil War in comics sucked but that doesn't mean movie adaption was not shit as well.
>>
>>107583682
Because Kevin Feige is a competent boss and he understands the appeal of marvel characters better than the people who do the actual comics.
>>
>>107593896
When did i say that comics is perfect medium. What i am trying to say is that i personally prefer comics.
>>
>>107584739
>Imagine if they packed in the MCU after Incredible Hulk didn't break records.
yes, I think the real key here is "Marvel was fine with any movie not being a record-breaking blockbuster as long as it turned a profit" while everybody else wanted ONLY record-breaking blockbusters
>>
>>107596505
You probably don't even read comics and act like those movies are better because they appeal to normalfags.
>>
>>107596566
I've been reading the comics for the past 22 years, but whatever helps you sleeping at night, almost-Satan.
>>
>>107594358
You'd have to be blind to see how producer controlled the DCEU was before they just gave up and let people do their own thing with Aquaman. Felt like the planned movies and schedules were changing every few months. Does anybody even remember when they tried to make Geoff Johns their Feige? That was a joke
>>
>>107594820
This sounds like someone who thinks Ant-Man is lame because the stories are small scale and not world controlling
>>
>>107594868
Sequels=!Cinematic universe. At least say the usual "Universal monsters did it first"
>>
>>107594769
>I think it's a great idea - kind of like the Lucasfilm storygroup
Another disaster.
>>
>>107595049
Shut up retard.
>>
>>107593915
That jumpsuit is just CG. In reality she is naked from head to toe
>>
>>107595049
Wow, we've found it. The one person in the world who actually believes this.

Seriously, I can't believe some nigga is going to look at everything with Tauriel and the entire third movie and post this kind of nonsense
>>
>>107587697
It doesn't matter what they want to do if Toho won't grant a continuation of the licensing agreement. Toho has already announced plans to do their own film universe after the deal with Legendary ends, so it's not very likely.
>>
>>107584142
I'm still mad and how hard DC blundered at the beginning but at least they seem to be making enjoyable movies finally.
>>
>>107587834
I agree with you, you pretty much nailed it. Before the MCU most Marvel characters were just outright c-listers or worse. Spider-Man and X-Men were really the only things Marvel had that could rival anything DC because most of Marvel's characters are fairly generic and derivative while DC's all have that air of iconic originality.

It's really impressive when you think about how much had to go right for Marvel to take those second rate characters and build a cultural powerhouse so strong that even literal whos like the GotG are now relevant. And how much had to go so horribly wrong for DC to so severely fuck up something they should have been the kings of.
>>
>>107593621
Unfortunately the Hasbro cinematic universe will be lucky to survive past the MASK and Visionaries movies that no one besides hardcore manchildren will give a shit about.
>>
>>107596938
They did it by doing what they should have been doing in the first place. They wasted all that money, time and fucked up a bunch of stories and characters to get here
>>
>>107594466
Probably the same reason we keep getting Batman's origin.
>>
>>107597487

> opening scene of the movie
> Bruce Wayne and his parents walks down crime alley

We need to see that another six or seven times, don't you think?
>>
File: EMOTIONAL CRIT.jpg (13 KB, 480x269)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>107585141
It's Zach Snyder, dude has a second pancreas where his brain should be.

>mfw people spam every goddamn WB tweet with #ReleaseTheSnyderCut
>implying the Snyder cut wouldn't be complete shit
>or that it even exists at all
>>
>>107597563
>implying I ever said that seeing it six or seven times was in any way justified
Stop putting words in my mouth.
>>
>>107597589
I'm just glad we're finally at the point where people realize that was a really fucking stupid idea. The amount of Snydercultists back then was just insane
>>
>>107597037
I'd include the Hulk up there, his films may never have done well but as a popular culture figure he's as iconic as Batman and Superman.
>>
>>107583783
>>Started the post credit scenes after every movie trend which other franchises now copy
That is objectively wrong
>>
>>107586954
DC is going to be replaced by Marvel. WW stand asside for the new Captain Marvel
>>
>>107584994
>Marvel was fucked if they failed.

It's Marvel Comics and the FF all over again. They replicated the miracle once again.
>>
>>107583682
>Why has no other company been able to copy their success?
Blumhouse and Legendary did it.
Sony might be able but i think Morbius will flop.
>>
File: ackchyually.jpg (53 KB, 700x700)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>107589081
this is why everyone beats up comic book nerds

90% of comics are trash. MCU was just able to mine the 10% of actual worthwhile content
>>
>>107598356
Blumhouse did it kinda by accident and I don't think their movies are as lauded. Legendary did indeed figure theirs out but the question is if they will make more movies past Godzilla vs. Kong or if Toho will pull the licence
>>
>>107596665
The Lucasfilm storygroup literally has done no wrong. Whatever you think about the movies (which the storygroup has almost no say on), the EU canon has been really well handled so far.
>>
File: Saitama bait.gif (477 KB, 500x281)
477 KB
477 KB GIF
>>
>>107585311
>he enjoys it as a fan just like /co/

/co/ doesn´t read comics and they don't enjoy things, anon. It's a known fact.
>>
>>107598356
>>107598422
>Blumhouse
What shared universe do they have? All I know of is the Purge, and that only because it has a TV show.
>Legendary
The verdict's still out on that. There hasn't been any actual crossover yet beyond the Kong credits as far as I know. Most people probably don't even realize that they're related yet.
That said - king of the monsters looks dope. I hope it all works out.
>>
>>107585430

Who is she and why does she gives me a boner?
>>
>>107598356
>Blumhouse
What? Since when?
>>
>>107598584
Reverse image search is your friend
but obviously you're on mobile
>>
>>107598584
Sarah Finn, casting director
>>
>>107598591
>>107598422
Their "Conjuring" universe. Basically all those low tier horror movies that come out every year are connected- Conjuring 1+2, Annabelle trilogy, The Nun, and La Llorona all take place in the same universe. Middle and high schoolers eat this shit up and they tend to release near Halloween so those movies always manage to make money, which is how they're the only other "successful" cinematic universe.

Whether they eventually make some sort of hilarious cross over movie where all the demons come together is up to verdict, but I very much hope they do, because it sounds ridiculously funny.
>>
>>107598638
Why does she matter? Anyone can do casting
>>
>>107598757
What movie reveals that they're connected?
>>
>>107598757
The Conjuring isn't Blumhouse though.

But yeah, this is my kind of low-stakes shared universe. I've never watched the movies, but it seems like the crossovers aren't the focus and only pop up when it fits.
The different series each take place at different times right?
>>
>>107598766
>anyone can do this job
>it's just a coincidence that she's successful at it
>>
>>107598872
>it's just a coincidence that she's credited with the success
Yes
>>
File: Shared Universes.png (171 KB, 640x1074)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
Okay, /co/ - which is the best?

Personally, some of these shouldn't count since they're basically just crossovers (AvP, FvJ, Lake Placid/Anaconda, Sadako vs Kayako) and Unbreakable isn't really a shared universe - those are sequels.
>>
>>107598953
Universal Monsters, MCU, DCEU
>>
>>107598953
Universal Monsters, Toho, MCU, and the Monsterverse are the only good ones. Alien vs Predator, Freddy vs Jason, and Sadako vs Kayako were among the worst of their series.
>>
>>107598953
>Timeless Tier
Universal
Toho

>Based Fiege Tier
MCU

>Potential for greatness tier
MonsterVerse
DCEU part 2

>Who cares tier
View Askewniverse
Full Moon Pictures

>Snyder tier
DCEU part 1
>>
>>107598840
Ah, I assumed they were cause Blumhouse does horror. Although Blumhouse apparently has talked about forming plans for doing a shared universe, and they have the rights for Halloween, Scream, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street, could actually be slasher kino.

Anyway, the Conjuring timeline is all sorts of fucked up cause most of the spinoff movies are prequels for the demons that appear in the main Conjuring movies, but the wiki has the timeline.
>>
>>107598953
>Dark Universe doesn't even get an entry cause it already failed and cancelled on its first movie

Lol.
>>
>>107599115
>Dark Universe
Admittedly, the wiki-autists who make that article have some pretty shitty criteria for a shared universe, but Dark Universe not being on there is still pretty funny.
>>
>>107599256
>Jurassic Park/World isn't on the list
>Bruce/Evan Almighty is
kek, I'd love to hear the justification for that
>>
>>107598538
>What shared universe do they have?
Conjuring-verse >>107598840

>The verdict's still out on that.
What? Kong Skull Island is the Monsterverse. Godzilla vs. Kong is the Avengers for it.
>>
>>107599402
The post you're quoting literally mentions that Conjuring isn't Blumhouse.

By the verdict is out I meant in quality and success. All we have so far is two unrelated movies; it's hard to say what we'll think of it when all is said and done.
>>
>>107598638
In that guy's defense, I reverse image searched too and only got "Avengers: Endgame".
>>
>>107599987
look closer
>>
>>107583682
Also if any one cares Feige is going to answer questions on the Marvel Studios sub around 5:00 PM PST. Probably should wait awhile until he finishes, maybe he'll drop some interesting answers.
>>
Alright, here's my armchair movie producer moment:
DC should have had two cinematic threads going parallel to each other. World's Finest and Justice League. Two movies every year, from either thread. Do a Superman movie in the spring, and then a Wonder Woman movie in the fall. Batman, then the Flash. Superman 2, Aquaman. World's Finest, Shazam. Batman 2, Justice League. Spin out and spiral off as momentum is gained or lost, build a New Gods plot slowly in the background of the universe. Orion, Mr. Miracle or the Forever People get their own movie, and then have a "Crisis" movie where they pull in all their heroes as the big finale in a fight against Apokolips, equivalent to Endgame.
Superman dies at the end, he stays dead. Batman retires and is replaced with Nightwing. Next big arc is Reign of the Supermen, which eventually leads to Sinestro Corps War.
>>
>>107583682
Other studios keep jumping in at the end expecting people to just hitch up and ride along without doing any of the setup and ground work to make a huge franchise like that happen. Its not even like doing what Marvel did is that hard, it's just people keep doing that same mistake.
>>
>>107584813
There is no spoon.
>>
>>107596930
To be honest, Toho's will probably fail, unless they plan on keeping it Japan only. Japan really just can't get cgi right.
>>
>>107586318
Ike: The Inhumans would have gotten over on film is Diesel was Black Bolt damn it!
>>
>>107593164
Thanos: Tony, the world needs balance like one of your weird wife's toys in her office...um...you know the name of it...
>>
>>107595287
*Aku laugh*
>>
>>107602468
Their anime CGI is leagues better than ours
>>
>>107586435

Fiege talks about back up plans. I guarantee Shang-Chi and the Eternals are being used because Iron Fist and Inhumans were wasted on TV.
>>
>>107603124
>I guarantee Shang-Chi and the Eternals are being used because Iron Fist and Inhumans were wasted on TV.
>Iron Fist
I'll never not be mad.
>>
>>107595421
Way to miss the other points retard
>>
>>107603323
>Iron First
someone tl;dr me on this and why it is better choice for a move than Shang-chi
>>
File: Scream.png (623 KB, 1077x526)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>107603438
The Iron Fist we got on Netflix was a steaming heap of C.H.U.D. vomit that made dragons and magic ninja death cults boring.
Iron Fist and Luke Cage were created because Marvel wanted to cash in on what was popular in the movies during the 1970s and the best way to adapt these characters is to just make them into the movies they were a rip-off of in the first place.
>>
>>107602864
lol no
>>
>>107603438
Iron Fist was more iconic and recognized as Marvel's kung-fu Avenger. That said

>>107603323
what exactly is reventing Marvel from utting Iron Fist, or any of the Defenders, in the "movie" side of the MCU?
>>
>>107603810
What movies did they rip off?
>>
>>107603833
That's robot chicken and stop-motion. This isn't an official Pokemon series made in Japan, but a cheap parody.
>>
>>107603810
>tfw we'll never get an Iron Fist movie that's like a mix between old school martial arts movies from the 70's and battle shonen anime/manga
Fucking suffering.

>>107603835
>what exactly is reventing Marvel from utting Iron Fist, or any of the Defenders, in the "movie" side of the MCU?
Probably don't want to confuse normies. Which is a damn shame. General reception of the Netflix shows even among the normie crowd was that they were just okay and most people thought IF in particular was shit. Not to mention most don't seem to accept the shows as canon. Literally just pretend like the shows never happened and introduce Iron Fist proper into the MCU via his own movie and bam, you got it.
>>
>>107603901
Blaxploitation and Bruce Lee

Tarantino wanted to do a Luke Cage movie in the 90s but ended up doing Pulp Fiction instead. I wish I had sauce to back it up but it has been a long while.
>>
File: 1521230164511.jpg (1.81 MB, 1988x2211)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>107587029

The big challenge is trying to adapt an unpopular arc to the MCU because Hollywood critics wants Feige to make a political film or tv show.

Can he make Secret Empire's adaptation a success given how Cap Marvel was the first chink in the armor as MCU aims for a new audience that is killing Marvel Comics so far.
>>
>>107603943
Oh sweet summer child...
>>
>>107603124
>>107603323
This suddenly makes so much sense and now I'm mad, too. IF and Inhumans deserved better.

>>107603961
This is what they ought be doing. MCU's gotten enough goodwill to pull something like this off.
>>
>>107597824
proof
>>
>>107605732
He's going to argue that other movies have had post-credits scenes before, as if Marvel didn't popularize them, especially with regards to sequel teases.
>>
>>107605066
what series is this from?
>>
Someone make a Nick universe. Crimson Chin. Catman. Jenny Wakeman. Danny Phantom. Vexus. Box Ghost. Some good characters to work with
>>
>>107583682
A big thing people forget is they made movies about characters that were lesser known and hadn't had their origin stories done to death. As such audiences weren't bored by the time the first act was over, and the studio could take more liberties with the events and personalities of the story without confusing anyone.
>>
>>107605758
this
>>
>>107605902
I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or agreeing with the fake argument I put out there
>>
>>107605783

Black Panther and the Crew.
>>
>>107584910
You could make the argument that all the armors were rushed, built by a heavily stressed and sleep deprived Tony. He didn't have time to make each armor perfect, he was busy thinking up new armors that would protect against hyperspecific nieches.
>>
>>107584910
>Iron Man 1 armor needed industrial grade assembly lines to put on and take off
>it's more durable than the shit he can carry around in a suitcase
GEE I WONDER WHY THAT IS
>>
>>107594735
Seeing Cavill actually being heroic and optimistic in the final 20 minutes of Justice League convinced me he's actually a fantastic Superman and was just weighed down by the scripts of the three movies he was in
>>
>>107589081
I just need to know who was responsible for fucking Spider-Man up so badly: him, Pascal, or some other retard at Sony. I get changing some things up but they changed literally everything and it all sucked hard (except arguably Toomes himself) unless you just fucking love Iron Man and don't care about Pete.
>>
>>107591551
>mario sequel never where we find out why princess had a flamethrower and what the problem was
>>
>>107608200
You don't have to make that argument... it's explicitly part of the movie.
>>
>>107605786
That actually just sounds lame
>>
>>107609101
There was a comic or something.
>>
>>107585056
AoS gave you 3/4 of a season.
>>
>>107603943
>That's robot chicken and stop-motion.
That's the next Pokemon movie in Japan anon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fG6NaZA2P8
>>
>>107583682
Does the MCU have movie immunity or something? I mean, kudos to them for accomplishing such a feat, but the whole franchise is more about quantity than quality. It's like they're protected from criticism.

The Marvel movies, like the worst DC movies (e.g. Justice League, BvS) suffer from fundamental writing mistakes: inconsistent characterizations, too many quips that make an inconsistent tone, most characters lack their own voices and instead seems like they're writing the same character twice, the plots are sometimes too convoluted, lack in theme and lessons, generic and formulaic story-telling, most of the dialogue is either one-liners or technical jargon that the audience for sure tune out.

Honestly, I wouldn't rate a single Marvel movie more than a 5/10. I really hope other companies don't use them as an example, because other than money, they are a horrible, horrible example.
>>
>>107608882
This is what I want to know. Why change just about everything the way they did? He was borderline unrecognizable.
>>
>>107603835
>what exactly is reventing Marvel from utting Iron Fist, or any of the Defenders, in the "movie" side of the MCU?
Netflix contracts. They can't use any of the characters until 2021, I believe.
>>
>>107583682
Not very many have even tried to duplicate what Marvel does.
>>
>>107593518
he had pancreatic cancer anon
>>
>>107613068

Agreed on all points. I like comic book movies but most of them truly lack good villains, plots, memorable music and well-shot action sequences.

For me I'll watch most things comic book related but they end up being 5 or 6/10s movies because of the same problems over and over.

I find it so strange that most normeis say they loved or even cried during Endgame. It was alright, overly long, convoluted and boring. Still good for a one-time watch but I wouldn't rank it above a 5/10 personally.

I think the hivemind anti-criticism vibe for Marvel is really about the brand more than the movies. Disney and Marvel studios seem perfect marketing wise. The actual product is lacking upon closer inspection.
>>
>>107584358

It was boring and bad. Just like Iron Man 2.
>>
>>107586209
nah, they just banned porn
>>
>>107613068
To be fair, doesn't all of western media from the last 50 years suffer from these problems?
>>
>>107613979
>B-BUT OTHER ONES DO IT TOO! W-WHATABOUT WESTERN MOVIES
You are proving his point. You can't criticize these movied without faggots like you come out of woods and yelling the same shit about how western movies are the same or you are hipster for not liking them.
>>
>>107613068
It is not immunity, it is just mob mentality of MCUplebs who can't take any kinda critisism of these movies. You get called hipster, elitist or contrarian for not liking these movies and weird looks in work when you haven't seen the latest one.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.