[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/missing-link-bombs-at-the-box-office-172729.html
>>
But all the people on the radio ad loved it! The one kid said it was 10/10!
>>
>>107017307
Was this really any surprise? I like Laika but this premise just didn't look interesting.
>>
>>107017307
unsurprising

You know, ever since it was revealed I kinda suspected...things...about Missing Link
>>
Just look at this ugly motherfucker and tell anyone will go to see his movie
>>
>>107017307
I can't believe a Laika movie failed.
>>
>>107017307
Because look at that pile of shit and clay.
>>
Just a weird premise all around.

Paranorman and Kubo had interesting supernatural designs.

And then they went with...bigfoot? Really?
>>
NIKE IS FINISHED
>>
File: 1407640804696.png (104 KB, 358x242)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
The writing just didn't seem there from the trailers. Laika was never really all that funny in their other movies so them tackling a comedy didn't seem to be a good move. Especially if the best jokes are in the trailer.
>>
>>107017307
>family-friendly PG rating
>celebrity VAs
>simple story normies can follow
>stopmotion that looks indistinguishable from CGI
What the fuck went wrong ?
>>
>>107017448
My 7yo sister said it looked ugly
>>
>>107017307
I feel kinda bad, but I'm probably going to wait till it hits the $2 theatre anyways.
>>
Something that I think more people should be aware of:

This is Laika's first movie that doesn't have a child protagonist. I ALWAYS felt that that was an important point in their movies.
>>
>>107017307
Makes sense. People only want cg animated movies.
>>
I'd be more inclined to watch it if we didn't already get a few Bigfoot/yeti films in the past couple of years. I like Laika, but I'm done with big monkeys.

>>107017342
What'd you suspect?
>>
>>107017547
>What'd you suspect?
that it wouldn't be quite as good as Laika's other movies
>>
Literally the first time I've ever heard of this movie
>>
>>107017307
Say bye-bye to the Academy Awards, Laika. Now THIS is getting a nomination:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xhrm196UQSY
>>
It was decent but forgettable.
>>
>>107017693
>Russian film
>getting anything from Leftywood
Yeah, in your dreams
>>
File: diddly.png (1.03 MB, 4000x4000)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>took niece and nephew to the theater this weekend
>asked what they wanted to see
>"We wanna see Shazam!"
>oh, but Missing Link came out this weekend. You guys want to see that? Lets watch the trailer.
>we all watch it
>we all agree to go see Shazam instead because it looks like way more fun
>>
Never heard of it.
>>
>>107017776
You're a faggot.
>>
>>107017693
It's that schill anon again.
>>
>>107017307
It's Laika, when doesn't one of their movies bomb?
>>
>>107017776
But if liberals are all communists they would surely appreciate the artistic work of their ideological motherland, right?
>>
>>107017429
It really isn’t ha-ha funny, it’s a very pleasant and enjoyable movie but it’s exactly the kind of thing you watch on a lazy Sunday at home and don’t shell out the money to see at the theater unless you’re a stop motion fanatic.
I liked it and the craft on display is spectacular but there’s minimal pandering to normies actually, a lot of the exposition is delivered at a high reading level and unlikely to be understood by children (though the plot when torn down to the basics is as simple as can be) and the movie has a reserved and classy tone. Also didn’t have much loud wackiness to appeal to children and everyone’s pointing guns at each other the whole movie.
Great for people who love overtly British things or well-executed animation, but doesn’t really surprise me that it’s not a hit. Laika could’ve built a brand and audience a la Tim Burton if they had stuck to spooky stuff, but currently most of their fans are just people who like them for the way they make their movies rather than those who are in love with the stories
>>
>>107017786
I gotta say that the trailer made Susan the Link seem obnoxious, like they guy you hope you get stuck next to on a long plane flight.
>>
>>107017307
A Laika movie bombed financially but did well critically? You don't say!
>>
>>107017818
They're a very conflicted group.
They follow only whatever ideology is convenient for those the rich and dead have elected to office.
>>
>>107017307
i was lowkey hoping it would do horrible; maybe it’ll be a wake up call for laika and push them to the conclusion that a movie needs, y’know, writers.
>>
>>107017353
Don't all of them preform this well?

I love them but I don't think they've ever really broken into Blockbuster type profits.

PS saw it and I liked it.
thumbs up
>>
>>107017307
>Laika fails
>Again
Wow, how shocking.
>>
>>107017891
I'm pretty sure that anon was being sarcastic. EVERYBODY knows that LAIKA's movies tend to perform poorly.
>>
>>107017855
Who is "they"?
>>
>>107017891
Coraline made decent money (iirc it made more money the second weekend than the first, which suggests spectacular word-of-mouth) but all the rest have just barely scraped by as far as having a passable performance. This one is doing particularly badly, the worst so far.
At least Coraline and ParaNorman get aired on TV a lot during Halloween which surely brings in a bit of cash
>>
>>107017927
Man, I suck at reading sarcasm.
I pick it up a lot faster in greentext is used

>>107017920
Ooo, like that!
>>
>>107017307
The only Laika film that ever turned a profit during its theatrical run was Coraline. All their other films make their money back via home video and streaming.
>>
>>107017940
I've also seen Boxtrolls airing every so often on Freeform.
>>
>>107017307
Has there ever been a movie about Bigfoot that hasn't bombed hard?
>>
>>107017840
>but did well critically?
>No oscars
>>
>>107017828
what the fuck am i reading?
>>
>>107017938
You can read.
>>
To people who've seen it, what did you think?
>>
File: file.png (505 KB, 564x681)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
>>107017307
repent
>>
>a Laika film bombed
So where's the news?
>>
>>107017983
Harry and the Hendersons made five times its budget back.
>>
>>107017490
Strange, I always worried it was holding their movies back. Before Missing Link was properly revealed and it was originally only announced that the film would not have a child protagonist, I at first thought assumed that that meant this movie was going to be more mature than their previous films and less aimed towards children. I hadn’t expected it might instead go in the opposite direction like it did.
>>
>>107017307
Too similar to that Smallfoot movie.
>>
>>107017987
The feature animation Oscar category has been totally bought out by Disney, Rango and Spider-Verse are the only exception in modern memory because Disney’s showing in those years
were so weak that a different outcome would have been flagrantly suspicious.
That they haven’t won is in no way shocking, that every film has been nominated is notable though, they and Cartoon Saloon share that distinction and it puts them ahead of many other studios in critical terms. Now they just have to put out a movie that mainstream audiences will actually come out to see
>>
>>107018005
It suffers like most modern movies. Director has no vision, writer has no clue.
This is the reason film scores suck now too.
>>
File: 1529801660279.jpg (19 KB, 241x284)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>107017307
I have quite literally never heard of this movie before today
>>
>>107018036
In that they both involved mythical Bigfoot-type creatures, yeah.
>>
>>107017987
Every Laika film has been nominated for at least one Oscar. They may not have won, but you typically have to be critically acclaimed to get nominated. Missing Link will likely get nominations as well.
>>
>>107018058
Yeah, and for the average moviegoer (of which there are practically none anymore) that's all that matters.
>>
>>107017490
I guess they decided to try something different this time.
>>
>>107018025
>I hadn’t expected it might instead go in the opposite direction like it did.
Not true though, the marketing may give a different impression but there’s very little in the film that directly tries to appeal to young audiences, especially compared to The Boxtrolls, the most comparable film they’ve made. It’s definitely not what you think it is when you hear “Zach Galifianakis as Bigfoot in a kids’ movie”
>>
>>107017307
Remember to square hi to /tv/ everyone! HI /TV/!
>>
>>107018058
Also I think they both feature xenophobic yetis.
>>
>>107018063
Aardman stopmotion movies also got nominated every time, yet Early Man was totally snubbed.
>>
So tell me anons, in your opinions, why do Laika films not reach the same amount of profit as Pixar and Disney films? What do those films have, that Laika films don't?
>>
>>107018036
Not really, but that Abominable movie Dreamworks is releasing which had a trailer before THIS movie has an almost completely identical plot, only in modern times and ripping off the protag from Next Gen. Thank christ Laika beat them to market, though if that makes more money I’ll be very sad
>>
>>107018094
Watch the Dreamworks movie make more money.
>>
>>107018039
>because Disney’s showing in those years were so weak that a different outcome would have been flagrantly suspicious
Ralph Breaks the Internet was fine, but Incredibles 2 was considered really good. Disney didn't lose this latest Oscar nom because its movies sucked; they lost because Into the Spider-Verse was just that good.
>>
>>107018091
Sports movies alienate a lot of people, especially when it’s a sport that’s not popular in America. They fucked up ok the subject matter on that one.
>>
>>107017448
>What the fuck went wrong ?
>>
>>107018106
No, Disney lost because they pissed off the voters for the Oscars. None of the Oscar voters care about the animated category, it's pure politics and nothing but when it comes to who wins that award.
>>
>>107018020
It made $25?
>>
>>107018039
Next year Disney loses again. It’ll be 2020, the year of the Tokyo Olympics. Children of the Sea or that new Makoto Shinkai film will get the Oscar
>>
File: Abominable_2019_Poster.png (109 KB, 350x456)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>107018094
>that Abominable movie Dreamworks is releasing
This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Granted, I haven't paid much attention to DreamWorks's upcoming films ever since Me and My Shadow got scrapped.
>>
>>107018132
How'd they piss off Oscar voters? The award show is hosted on a channel Disney owns.
>>
>>107018093
Shitty marketing and an unwillingness to break from principles and use cutesy designs and insert comic reliefs that appeal to small children.
Their advertising has literally never been good, the first ParaNorman ad with “Season of the Witch” is the only time
they’ve ever come close to making a trailer for their films look appealing, and I get the feeling the studio cut that themselves. Laika uses the advertising firm Nike does, and it’s clear that they don’t know how to sell something that’s not shoes.
>>
>>107018158
Office politics, obviously.
>>
>>107018132
How did Disney piss off the Oscar voters? Did they fall for the meme that Incredibles 2 was "SJW trash" or something?
>>
>>107018158
Brad Bird defended Lasseter after he got #MeToo’d
>>
>>107018136
kek
>>
>>107018106
And Disney will lose again to either of these:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=eVGbgBy_yo4
https://youtube.com/watch?v=rzKcrJ77wBY
>>
>>107018211
If Oscar voters don't give a single shit about the animation category, why would they be informed or care about who actually works on and helms animation projects?
>>
>>107018251
Frozen was a complete pile of poorly written and animated shit and that won, so Frozen 2 (which does look more cohesive and ambitious at least) will probably still win
>>
>>107018036
Not even close. Smallfoot caught everyone by surprise.
>>
>>107018093
As "Pixar" is a now continuum and cannot register as a singular, uniform entity, I will bisect my opinion in terms of "old Pixar" (Toy Story - Wall-E) and "new Pixar" (Cars 2 - current).

>old Pixar
Because Laika lacks the storytelling talent necessary to develop solid characters and engrossing settings without the technology they use getting in the way. Everything they do is about the process and spectacle, and minimal resources and attentions go into telling a story from a novel perspective. When they don't use a fantastic setting to cover for their weaknesses, Missing Link is what you get. This kind of production makes them seem like they don't even have a bare-minimum, formulaic Dreamworks-level understanding of writing for an audience - as though it's not because they don't want to do it, but because they aren't capable of doing it.

>new Pixar
Because Laika lacks a previously successful catalog of well-recognized brands and the backing of a financial entity of unparalleled might to advertise for them. The bar is set lower than ever, and dopey audiences are eating up anything that even somewhat resembles decent craftsmanship, but they can't win anything without a megacorporation's grunt to promote mindshare.
>>
>>107018289
>caught everyone by surprise.
How so?
>>
>>107018284
What was poorly written about it? I haven't seen it since it came out so I can't remember much.
>>
>>107017307
>Targeted towards a younger audience, but looks like absolutely shit
>Overplayed and uninteresting subject matter
>Didn't come from a big studio
It was inevitable.
>>
>>107018351
>Overplayed
Are you referring to the sasquatch stuff, or something else?
>>
>>107018326
Atheist dig the movie tackling how myths, and religions are created.
>>
>>107018284
What was poorly animated about it? I haven't seen it since it came out so I can't remember much.
>>
>>107018251
>Anime
>Beating Frozen 2
HAHA you dumb mother fucker
>>
>>107018299
I don’t think Laika is incapable of delivering a compelling story, it’s just that they’re attached to concept of auteur filmmakers and by having their directors write (who worked their way up from being animators) they’re putting the task of telling a compelling story on the wrong people.
I saw that Vera Brosgol was credited first as a storyboarder on this movie (surprising, as I thought she had already left the company to focus on her books when this was being made) and she as a graphic novelist by trade definitely understand story structure and set-up and payoff. She could write a great, appealing movie I’m sure of it, but as she has no ambition to direct hasn’t been given the opportunity.
That being said, Missing Link’s story is quite simple and economical, there’s no real filler and the tone and pacing feel pretty consistent to me. It’s the premise that doesn’t appeal to mainstream taste in my opinion, and you need a solid concept to draw people in
>>
File: Fuck this logo.jpg (386 KB, 1382x2048)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>107018284
>*Frozen II
FTFY
>>
>>107018371
also it was a musical
>>
>>107017448
I think Hugh Jackman is a competent voice actor
>>
>>107018443
Yeah, I actually didn’t realize it was him until the credits rolled. Not a hint of Australian in his voice, sounded just like Victorian Englishman
>>
>>107018393
Everything except the snow and song scenes
>>
File: lmao extreme laugh.jpg (46 KB, 727x727)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>107017448
The big red vagina-looking nose
>>
So, are they animating Chicken Run 2 since aardman is dead?
>>
>>107017448
It looks much uglier than their other movies.
Bigfoot is probably not a very appealing topic for movies.
I don't think it's a coincidence that Paranorman and Coraline are Laika's most talked about films, they scratch a genre itch that a lot of people have, isn't very well served, and which works really well with the stop-motion aesthetic.
>>
>>107018551
I thought Aardman is perfectly fine, they just went to being employee owned?
In any case I’m pretty sure they’re considered a national treasure in England so I’m sure a larger media company would step in if they were facing difficulties
>>
>>107018672
Basically what I was saying here
>>107017821
I like the idea of studios exploring many genres but I think Laika’s name would have a much bigger cache with a general audience if they had stuck to horror-comedy and made that their brand. If all their movies were in the same vein as those two I’m sure they’d be more widely known
>>
>>107018680
Why would they be a national treasure?
>>
>>107018727
Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep are worldwide icons of britishness?
>>
>>107018726
Are there a lot of horror comedy films?
>>
>>107018284
>>107018399
Reminder that next year is the Tokyo Olympics, and since Japan is a gift-giving culture, what better gift from Hollywood than an Oscar?
>>
>>107018740
In the 80s yes, in modern times not particularly. Really it’s just The Nightmare Before Christmas’ enduring popularity that drives the demand for more stuff in that vein in stop motion, and Burton’s subsequent solo works (Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie) didn’t really scratch the itch. Adults really like that stuff because morbid elements let them pretend it’s not just for kids, and kids like it because creepy imagery is interesting to them.
>>
>>107018750
If any anime other than Miyazaki’s confirmed final film gets an Oscar I’ll eat my damn sock
>>
File: LAIKA MILFs.jpg (125 KB, 1080x1080)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>107017307
Probably should've had a better waifu
>>
>>107018833
Don't forget these two.
>>
>>107018978
Gaiman confirmed they’re lesbians, btw
>>
>>107018829
Mirai already set a precedent for non-Ghibli anime at the Oscars.
>>
The premise seems like I've seen a hundred movies like it before. Why go for the wild man gets civilized plot? There are way better stories that you could do with Bigfoot. They could have gone in the opposite direction. Have Bigfoot be an alien(which some people think) and Hugh Jackman gets on his spaceship or goes to the other dimension.
>>
>>107017307
oh no who could have expected this how completely out of the blue

Seriously, who here didn't know from the moment you saw a fucking poster for this movie that it was gonna be shit?
>>
>>107018984
Of course he did. The best time to reveal that kind of thing is when there's no more risk.
>>
>>107018335
>>107018393
Frozen was a rushed clusterfuck because of the constant rewrites and plot changes. For example they literally COMPOSED "For the First Time in Forever" in June, when the premiere was already set to be in November. That's a crazy tight schedule, but they chose a plot that "clicked" despite being rough and unfinished and full of holes and resulting in a rushed animation they had to deliver half-baked because there wasn't time to do it properly over having enough time to hone a plot that felt unsatisfactory.

As a result, the writing is kinda clunky in places, and the animation looks really shit in some scenes. It looks fine in other scenes - probably the ones that made the cut from a previous story version and had had enough time to be done nicely, but in many scenes, surfaces, textures, shadows, crowds etc the animation quality is visibly sub-par for Disney. People tend to say the movie "aged badly" but it was just a shit rush job even for its time.

Essentially they ended up spending as much time animating the 7-minute Frozen Fever short as they did the Frozen movie proper. It's insane.
Apparently a lot of the people making it kinda expected the movie to tank, which is also why Disney was so wholly unprepared for the massive demand for Frozen merchandise around Christmas 2013 when everything Frozen was constantly out of stock and they just couldn't pump out dolls and dresses fast enough.
>>
>>107018984
What is it with English authors and canonising gay relationships AFTER the show is over. It seems to be something they do in particular.
>>
>>107019032
>>107019051
To be fair to him, a lot of his books (including those going back to the 80s) have explicitly LGBT characters, I think this one was just limited it in laying it out in more than subtext because it was written for children. He didn’t just hop on the trend suddenly and probably wrote the book with that in mind
>>
File: coraline_julius_sees-her!.png (2.56 MB, 1919x1040)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB PNG
>>107018984
>>107018978
God I loved those 2.
>>
>>107017307
>Not Disney
why do studios even bother releasing movies anymore if they're not disney?
>>
>>107017307
With Laika, half the time I haven't even heard of these until long after they come out and I catch them on TV. It's actually really shitty but without a huge apparatus like Disney making a dent is so hard it's a freak surprise half the time a smaller venture does well. The quality of the movie isn't usually a factor in its box office success either. So this might be really bad but that's not the reason it flopped.

Really ideally now, things like this that are good will be made for streaming services, theater movies will continue to be mostly mediocre or incredibly terrible splashy expensive CGI fests, maybe eventually the movie theater experience as we know it today will be dead in the water. The ones left will be like 4D rides.
>>
Anybody else notice most of their movies (save Coraline) release august or september. Just seems like they have less competition during that time of the year.
Heck they are going against 3 comic movies at once.
Do you think they would have faired better if they had held off until late summer again?

Also, anyone try and get the promotion shoes?
Would have loved to get them but damn, too rich for my blood.
>>
>>107019224
I do know a few animated features around this level have been picked up by streaming networks.
Like the Secret of Kells company is making something for Apple.
>>
>>107019224
Laika actually puts forth the effort to shoot their movies in true 3D too (using two separate DSLR cameras on a rig), unfortunately this is the first film of theirs I wasn’t able to catch a screening in that format, doesn’t help I moved to small city with only one multiplex but I think the release in general was severely cut bsck for this movie.
Laika movies make great theater experiences if you truly appreciate the art of animation, but that’s a small section of the audiences
>>
>>107019268
That's good! There's really been a renaissance in incredible stories for cable and now streaming services in a similar vein. Also amazing indie efforts online. Most of the really interesting things that stick with me today are not from films (that were in theaters). While some of them are fun enough as a popcorn socializing with friends event, there's not much to think about after they've ended most of the time and not much to remember.
>>
>>107019043
I think there's really a lot to like about Frozen. But you also kind of have to remember that the vast majority of the film is Anna climbing up and down a mountain. And Elsa only interacts with two characters, Anna and Olaf. She has no idea who Sven is and literally only knows Hans' name. Olaf's entire purpose is to give Elsa a pep talk at the tale end of the movie. It's disjointed as fuck. You wanna know why it's so easy to ship Elsa and Anna despite them being sisters and showing no signs of homosexuality? It's not because of agenda, and not necessarily because of delusion. It's because Anna is the ONLY CHARACTER ELSA CONNECTS TO. There's not a whole lot of choice. I mean, yeah, you can choose not to ship anyone at all, but shippers have a certain way of life they must abide to.

The gnomes are pure exposition machines. That's it. They exist entirely to tell us A) how Elsa's power works and B) how to save Anna from her ice cancer. Pretty much the entire reason Kristoph was adopted by them was in order actually humanize them because no one would give a flying fuck about them otherwise. Incidentally, no one gives a flying fuck about them anyway.

Let's talk about Kris. Half of Kris's reason for being in this film is Anna. That's it. He explicitly exists so that this film would not be 60% Anna climbing up and down a mountain alone. But then Olaf exists and could have fulfilled that role just fine so why the fuck is Kris here? Oh right, the other half: he's a red herring. The entire film we're led to believe that he's the one who will perform the "act of true love" that will heal Anna from her ice cancer, only for the film to subvert it at the last second. That's it. This film has its head up its ass. The fundamental reason Kris exists is so the writers can feel proud about "subverting Disney tropes" or whatever. He has no other stake in the story, he's wholly unrelated to it beyond meeting Anna by sheer coincidence as she was climbing the mountain.
>>
>>107019268
Cartoon Saloon is making Wolfwalkers for Apple and My Father’s Dragon for Netflix, in a way a sad state of affairs given their coming movies may not get the awards respect they deserve but at least they’re still getting funded
>>
>>107019248
Are they releasing another one this August? I was unaware they had plans for production of another movie
>>
>>107017345
He's adorable.
>>
>>107019298
I missed their good movies in theater though and I don't think this one is worth any money
>>
>>107019339
No, as far as I’ve heard Laika’s upcoming slate hasn’t been detailed in any way
>>
>>107019319
>The gnomes are pure exposition machines
Sometimes I forget those were in Frozen. Seems like Disney wanted them to be their Minions or something, but in the end Olaf became THE mascot.
>>
>>107019328
>a sad state of affairs given their coming movies may not get the awards respect they deserve
As long as they get screened in LA for a few days during the year, they can still qualify for film awards.
>>
>>107019353
If you can catch it as a matinee I’d recommend it, it’s nothing mind-blowing but I thought it was worth the the ticket price to enjoyably qbreeze through an hour and a half
>>
I still don't really understand why Kubo failed. It was an extremely cool film, exactly the kind of thing I would expect kids to be all over
>>
>>107019403
Too sad and deep for kids, not enough blood and fanservice for weebs.
>>
>>107018516
>vagina-looking nose

You- you've never seen a vagina, have you?

[to be a pedant, the vagina is the tube, the bits on the surface are the labia (majora and minora) aka the vulva, you prat].
>>
>>107019400
I might catch it on Thursday if it's still showing, haven't seen any Laika film in theaters so might as well catch one.
>>
>>107019319
Kristoff is there because you gotta have some romance in a Disney Princess Musical, and they were doing that Prince Charming subversion with Hans in combination with the true love that saves the day being family love, not romance - so there had to be a positive male love interest to balance out all that.

Plus, realistically Anna would have absolutely died on the mountain without him, she wouldn't even have known which way to go, and it's a while before they happen across Olaf.

And personally, I shipped Elsa with Hans
>>
I know I'm not the only one thinking this, but I wholeheartedly think LAIKA should try making a full-length 2D film. I assume there are more potential hires out there who can do hand-drawn rather than stop motion, so they could have a team full of Disney/DreamWorks veterans working on one film, while the usual team could work on the standard stop motion fare. That way, LAIKA can produce two movies at the same time AND bring back hand-drawn animation to the big screen.
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (1.14 MB, 250x250)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB GIF
>>107019339
Silly anon. LAIKA isn't capable of releasing two films in the same year.
>>
>>107019491
They’ve talked about doing it, it’s something Travis Knight wants to do eventually, but I think it depends on them becoming financially stable with their stop-motion stuff first. When they started the company and their main focus was advertising, their CGI and 2D animation divisions were the main parts of the company, but after Coraline they laid off a lot of those employees and focused on stop-motion in particular.
Prior to that they did stuff like this
https://vimeo.com/6929711
>>
>>107019479
Hans is just a stupid, shoe-horned villain. You know why HE exists? Again, to subvert expectations of what a Disney film is (not that he's that good at it seeing as how he's completely lacking in subtlety), but also so that Anna could save Elsa from something at the end. He's a contrivance at best. The worst part is the whole "Dude why are you getting married to someone you just met" hasn't been relevant to Disney since Walt was alive. Most princesses tend to spend ENTIRE MOVIES with their love interests. Aladdin and Jasmine didn't get married for three films and an ENTIRE TV SERIES. Fact of the matter is Hans and Kristoff weaken the plot. Hans is a subplot to the main plot, one that doesn't really kick into gear until the very end when he steals the show when, up until then, the main conflict was Elsa and her freaky ice powers. He's just the catalyst for Elsa losing it and also exists just so Anna could save Elsa at the last second. Like Kristoff, he's a plot device.

The thing is, so many of the movie's characters and setpieces really just kind of exist to sort of glue this half-baked, shoddy story together.
>>
File: Larry the Lobster.png (194 KB, 500x500)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>107019572
Jesus FUCK, that music video is hand-drawn Kino!

So is Kubo's end credits sequence: https://vimeo.com/194312564
>>
>>107019339
Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound like they had another coming out.
in the past 3 of their movies came out in late summer and did better.
Just wondering if they should have held off releasing Missing link for later in the year.
>>
File: Mantis is best MCU girl.jpg (794 KB, 729x1200)
794 KB
794 KB JPG
>>107019731
They definitely should've released it later in the year. If Shazam! hasn't killed it already, then Endgame will.
>>
>>107017307
I hadn't heard of this movie, it's coming into theatres in my country late next month, might give it a watch. I hope the original dub is available
>>
File: kay.png (49 KB, 444x287)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>107017987
>the only validation of quality is the Oscars
m8 are you fucking high
>>
>>107018063
Boss Baby
>>
>>107019491
>>107019572
>>107019647
The end credits for The Boxtrolls also has 2D animation for all the characters and they instantly become more likable in those designs instead, it's fucking insane.
>>
>>107019867
I wouldn't have known that. The Boxtrolls is the only LAIKA film I have yet to see.
>>
There was less than ten people (including myself) in the theater when I went to see it today, even though it came out two days ago.
>>
>>107019491
They certainly got the money for it since the owner of the studio is tied to Nike. Even if they don't do all that well, it's hardly a loss to them since it's all just basically passion projects.
>>
>>107020179
LAIKA BTFO LOL
>>
>>107017307
Who the fuck see the poster and think it will be a good movie?
>>
>>107020220
It doesn't look bad, just not all that particularly unique. Hopefully this performances wakes Laika up to the fact that they really need to start putting more effort into their films, especially if they're dead-set on "growing up" every now and then with the films. From the sound of things, Missing Link isn't all that much more mature than the last 4 films beyond not starring any kids in the lead.
>>
>>107017307
black people are the missing link
>>
>>107017987
>critics
>giving Oscars
>>
>>107020179
do Disney shills really believe posting that shit on 4chan even works? "anecdotal evidences" is so woman-brained, why do you expect people to fall for it?
>>
>>107017307
Just like Shazam
>>
>>107020308
Kek
>>
The only thing that's surprising is there isn't a bunch of Laika fags in this thread defending this movie and calling for an Oscar.
>>
>>107020333
I was just pointing out something I noticed. I thought the film was alright honestly, not sure why it seems to be doing so poorly.
>>
>>107020402
It’s not even going to get nominated. No one in the academy will remember Missing Link by next year.
>>
>>107020402
Nobody seems to be discussing the movie itself at all, really.
>>
>>107020408
Nobody will remember it by next week
>>
>>107020408
>*No one in The Academy will remember Missing Link by this summer
FTFY
>>
Just hurry up and make Coraline 2
>>
>>107021157
No. We don’t need a sequel.
>>
>>107021157
>Coraline's Revenge
>>
>>107021157
I'd rather see them adapt more horror comedy books or George Pal's "John Henry". Anyone know any good horror comedy books?
>>
>>107021157
>Coraline 2: A stitch in time
>>
>>107017307
Coraline > Paranorman > Kubo > [power gap] > Missing Link > [power gap] > Box Trolls
>>
>>107018984
so Gaiman is trying the JK Rowling approach of staying relevant, huh?
I wonder what other children's author will say their characters are gay next.
>>
>>107022571
Gaiman has never been hesistant or shy about putting gay or even trans characters in his work.
Sandman has overtly gay and trans characters throughout it.
He's a lot of things, but he's not chickenshit about including them.
>>
>>107018093
Because once you get past the "oooh, stop motion" effect, their movies just aren't very good. Competent, but that's it.
>>
>>107018093
writers
>>
>>107022571
Gaiman was writing explicit gay sex scenes twenty years ago.
>>
>spoil the entire story from the trailer
GEE
I WONDER
WHAT
WENT
WRONG
>>
>>107022622
They have good writers
>>
>>107022473
>stitch
>>
>>107022462
Coraline was supposed to be horror comedy?

I mean I see the horror part, but I don’t think it was a particularly comedic story. Maybe more fantasy/young adult.
>>
>>107017821
>exposition delivered at a high reading level
>plot ... is as simple as can be
That's the absolute worst combination, combined with what seems an uninteresting idea. I don't want them to do horror all the time, but something about this just didn't interest me in any way.
>>
>>107018127
You really hate them because they were the ones responsible for Sausage Party instead of Sony, don't you?
>>
>>107018039
I'd say Spirited Away doesn't count anymore since GKids owns it now and Wallace and Gromit beat out Disney in 2005
>>
>>107018093
With Kubo I only knew of it because of late night commercials on FX of all places.

Doesn't help that Universal drops their films straight to Focus Features, which they usually reserve for Indie shit
>>
File: Boxtrolls.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Not British enough.
>>
>>107017307
Laika movies always do rather poorly in the theater, they do much better when they get realeased on video where it can than garner a cult following
>>
>>107023817
Not that Anon, but it's either Annapurna or A24 that's been having trouble with their movies recently.
>>
>>107017448
shazam and captain marvel came out at around the same time
>>
>>107019417
That's depressing, I liked it a lot.
As other anons have said, a large part of it seems to be sub-par writing and ideas. There's no universe where I'd say Isle of Dogs had better animation than Kubo, but it was so much more intetesting in literally every other aspect. So I wound up fucking loved Isle of Dogs in comparison.
>>
>>107020413
Which shows the general opinion of it in a circuitous way.
People are mostly talking about Laika's issues, why they exist and what they could do to improve.
>>
>>107022571
Did you not read American Gods? That had been around for a while even when I read it back in high school.
>>
>another critically acclaimed Laika movie bombs at the box office
>Travis Knight still has more money than god
>still uses that money to keep an animation medium alive
>>
>>107017307
Seeing it tomorrow, it looks cute - and i have seen all the Laika films in theatre due to it being worth those 10 bucks.
>>
>>107017307
don`t know what the fuck is that, there has not been a single tv spot about that in my country so probably will bomb at international level at least
>>
>>107022785
What did they spoil in the trailer?
>>
>>107024705
The movie's plot is about Bigfoot and the adventurer going to the mountains to see if his cousins, the Yetis, still exist
The trailer spoil the fact that theres a whole civilization of yetis up in the mountains, and the main characters quip with a few of them too
>>
>>107024302
>critically acclaimed
>Missing Link
but it was bad
>>
>>107025048
How was it bad?
>>
>>107018151
it's Pearl, not Dreamworks.

..which is chinese Dreamworks
>>
>>107019613
>Hans is just a stupid, shoe-horned villain
Also his reveal is a carbon copy of Ewan Mcgregor's character reveal in Angels & Demons down to the fireplace, beat for beat.
>>
>>107022571
>I am underage, do not read comic books and should not be posting
>>
>>107019861
"Typically" doesn't mean "always".
>>
>>107018093
>What do those films have, that Laika films don't
Marketable story hooks.
Coraline had them, Paranorman coasted on looking like Coraline, and everything since has lacked any real sense of fascination or exciting plot fraught with possibility.
>but the CRAFTSMANSHIP
No one fucking cares any more. Tell interesting stories first and showpieces second. Coraline's allure was "what if Nightmare Before Christmas had some actually pant-shitting horror in it" with a relatable main character. Laika hasn't tried that hard to sell instant audience connection since with Paranorman a close second.
>>
File: 1550108367204.jpg (57 KB, 386x371)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Good. I like Laika, but it's really sad how bad this movie looks. Hopefully this doesn't kill them, but I would like them to try harder in the story/concept department again.
>>
>>107018106
>Ralph Breaks the Internet was fine
Only technically. The story ignored the entire moral of the first movie and worse, made Ralph from a conflicted adult who comes to terms with his situation into a selfish child with the IQ of a retard. It was not "fine."
>>
>Comes out at the same time as Shazam, and smack dab in the middle of Captain Marvel and Endgame

It never stood a chance before. Releasing it when they did bumped it's odds of success from "Very unlikely" to "Impossible"
>>
>>107018132
>Disney lost because they pissed off the voters for the Oscars
>>107018158
The other thing you mooks are ignoring is that this year the Academy opened up the voting pool for this category to the entire academy, not just industry people within the category. And it's relatively obvious after the nonstop stream of Disney/Pixar wins that this is exactly why they did that.
>>
>>107018251
>to either of these:
Show me precedent for a foreign animated film winning that category. Their noms are lip service and to be blunt far too many Academy voters vote for movies they haven't seen but would be likely to. Note the "likely to" part at the end.
>>
>>107018299
>but because they aren't capable of doing it.
Knight still thinks like a guy running an ad VFX company where visuals are the only thing that matters. Coraline is like District 9: evidence that succeeding out of the gate teaches people nothing of use.
>>
>>107018405
>It’s the premise that doesn’t appeal to mainstream taste in my opinion, and you need a solid concept to draw people in
And I'll catch hell for saying this but the visual style looked like an Aardman knockoff except without the whimsical charm.
>>
>>107025655
I’m fucking pissed off Ralph 2 got nominated over more deserving films.
>>
Tfw Laika has infinite money and doesn’t care if their movies succeed or fail
>>
>>107018807
>Burton’s subsequent solo works (Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie) didn’t really scratch the itch
Corpse Bride looked and felt like Burton screaming "I DON'T NEED YOU HENRY." Frankenweenie leaves me remembering two things: Martin Landau's last role and that intensely fuckable gym instructor. Don't remake your own projects.
>>
>>107025723
Spirited Away
>>
>>107025871
Meanwhile, this movie never ever for lack of money.
>>
>>107025048
Don't be silly.
>>
>>107025924
>this movie never ever for lack of money.
Because Fincher cannot into budgeting and consistently makes "artistic" decisions that end up going way into the red. He bankrupted Orion Pictures making Fight Club which believe it or not was an incredible flop at a time when you couldn't expect China and rentals to recoup domestic losses. He hired name actors for FC when explicitly told not to, spent millions twinning Armie Hammer for a side character in The Social Network, insisted on complex CGI just for an establishing shot in another movie, and in general is profligate with other peoples' money.
Now, he wants investors to back a hard R rated cartoon and surprise surprise, no one wanted to pony up money they knew they'd never see again despite the excellence of the source material. Also the trailer for that showed no plot whatsoever and looked more like it was selling a video game, not a movie. Fincher can fucking choke on his reputation for once.
>>
File: 1554892538306.png (227 KB, 484x458)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>107018410
stfu dumb roman numeral poster
>>
>>107025048
Travis is the James Cameron of stop motion animation. He’s fucking rich enough to withstand a bunch of financial bombs
>>
>>107017490
>>107018025
>>107018073

Why the fuck having a child protag matter?
>>
>>107018807
Ironically, Laika did some work in Corpse Bride before Coraline.
>>
>>107026978
"It's for kids"
"Kids can only relate to other kid characters"
"I'm an adult. This is about a child."
"It doesn't need to have a good story because it wasn't made for you"
>>
>>107026978
>Why the fuck having a child protag matter?
Stand where the screen is and look across the audience.
>>
File: 1463676564471.jpg (18 KB, 428x469)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>Coraline
>A little girl who's upset about her parents not giving her attention and the listlessness of being uprooted from herr previous home gets lured into a parallel mirror universe concocted by an evil powerful witch who tries to manipulate her into staying with doppelgangers and fake love.

Oh sweet cool I can dig it.

>ParaNorman
>A little boy can see dead people but no one really understands him, but then zombies come to life and descend upon the town and... And... A bunch of obnoxious extras come with him in tow to... Uh... Stop the zombie menace with his dead people sight?

This is literally a Disney afternoon TV movie special. What the fuck?

>The Boxtrolls
>A weird British steampunk town has a race of... Gremlins living inside boxes, and they have a child they somehow cared for and taught English to, and this child comes to the surface world and whoa haha will you look at that he doesn't fit in with society, but by some miracles he deus ex machinas the whole plot with an obnoxious extra and defeats the big bad guy exterminator and shows all the gremlins are actually nice?

Pfft. Wow, holy shit. You can stop anytime.

>Kubo
>An Asian boy goes on a video game journey to collect the 3 Zelda MacGuffins with his Paper Mario partners that are also annoying obnoxious extras and also his grandpa is the Moon King and sends his aunts after him, but then asian boy literally murders his grandpa with... A tidal wave of memories?

Please don't quit your day job Travis, for the love of god.

>Missing Link
>DUDE LMAO A FUNNY SASQUATCH THING IS ALWAYS BEING LITERAL ALSO HIS NAME IS SUSAN BECAUSE WE ARE SO PROGRESSIVE ALSO HE GOES ON A SILLY LITTLE SLICE OF LIFE TRIP WITH MOOOORE OBNOXIOUS EXTRAS TO GO TO HIS YETI COUSINS BUT THEY HATE HUMANS SO WAIT A MINUTE YOU MEAN HIS REAL FAMILY WERE THE OBNOXIOUS EXTRAS HE WENT ON A TRIP WITH THIS WHOLE TIME?????

We are NEVER getting the amazing duo powerhouse of Henry Selick and Neil Gaiman EVER again. Fuck Laika.
>>
>>107022565
What went wrong with The Box Trolls?
>>
>>107022462
Goosebumps have a lot of books that are more comedy than horror, but that just shows how much camp Stine likes.
>>
>>107027313
Is Missing Link really that bad? I was going to watch it in an hour or so, but if it's on the same level as Boss Baby and Sausage Party then I guess it isn't worth the money.
>>
>>107019430
>You- you've never seen a vagina, have you?
>>
File: missing_link.jpg (198 KB, 810x986)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>107027373
It isn't, that faggot's just being obnoxious.
It's not fantastic, but it's not shit either. It's just alright. I personally liked it but I can see why some might not.
>>
>>107019328
Cartoon Saloon did some work for Pete the Cat (yes, really).
>>
>>107019155
Dreamworks and Illumination pander just hard enough to get near Disney money.
>>
>>107018467
It is not hard for the common wealth countries to do each other's accents.
>>
>>107018672
its because every weirdo in america loves nightmare before christmas and coraline/paranorman scratch that itch of "weird/dark kids comedy"
>>
>>107022565
I quite liked Box Trolls...
>>
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/13/713030206/uncharted-waters-union-tells-hollywood-writers-to-fire-their-agents
Won't this lead to better writers for Laika?
>>
>>107017307
no shit. laika needs to drop the kiddy shit and make balls to the wall r rated stopmotion titty gorefest
>>
>>107025655
It's okay when girl does it, anon
>>
>>107027652
They don't need to be hammer films. The best ways to fix the company is
>to focus on more similar movies like Coraline/ParaNorman
>allow 2D hand drawn animation films
>hire more experienced writers
>get illumination style advertising
>>
File: A signal in the sky.png (396 KB, 640x480)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>107017307
That guy is a very bad thing (and I'm not talking in a moral way).
>>
>>107026367
Fuck no. I’ll keep shunning Disney for their pretentious logo until they change it to ‘Frozen 2.’ It took them a while, but they eventually realized how dumb the original title for the Wreck-It Ralph sequel was and fixed it.
>>
>>107027313
Why would you sell Kubo that short just to prove a point? You know it's way better than how you are describing it.
>>
>>107027373
Hey, The Boss Baby was actually all right. Don’t degrade it by comparing it to DUDE WEED LMAO Food Orgy!
>>
I’m seeing a lot of talk about Chilly Tee.

What did you guys think of Bumblebee? I thought it was really cute.
>>
>>107027978
It's gonna be hated, terribly hated, /co/ especially will hate it forever.
>>
>>107027978
This is a Christian image board.
>>
>>107017307
Today at things everyone knew...
>>
>>107027313
Coraline had the big advantage of being a novella first and having the author help with the film script. Laika needed writers to get Coraline level of story telling.
>>
>>107017960
>Man, I suck at reading sarcasm.
To be fair, sarcasm doesn't transmit well through text only.
>>
>>107027373
>Sausage Party made a bigger profit than Kubo despite its R rating
>>
>>107027433
GOODNESS NO!
>>
>>107017307
Wasn't surprised, but still sad

The main problem is that it had less adverisement, which is why nobody even heard about this. I don't think anybody knew about this movie or its release. Not even a TV spot. And another problem is how many screnings it got. There is just isn't enough screenings of this movie and it only got like 2 or 3 showings. Why is that?

And April is the worst month for it since Avengers Endgame is also showing in that same month. Should have delayed it a month later

They need to expand their advertisement to get more word out, because that's the main problem. And that cinemas need to try giving it more screenings
>>
>>107027652
Starburns is Laika for grownups
>>
>>107017307
If this movie survives till May then I'll see it after Avengers Endgame
>>
>>107018984
>>107019104
well it's fucking obvious because he's gayman
>>
>>107028314
Haha
>>
>>107028128
Why do people think Coraline is good storytelling? I didn't like it at all.
>>
>>107028186
It is not that bad of a show for its target audience and Swampy Marsh's son has a voice acting role. The books are great, the show did them fine for what is worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5w1F-_SDls
>>
>>107017940
Coraline was marketed as being made by the director of nightmare before christmas, which is real but it was made in a way that they never said the name of that director so people would believe it was a Tim Burton film, I guess that helped a lot of people to be interested in that one since stop motion always tends to be associated with weird spoopy kid's movies by a lot of people
>>
File: 1510773474463.png (363 KB, 770x870)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
>>107017307
Was it really a surprise?
The story wasn't really that interesting, there was no cute girl/boy, it was way too average of a setting, plus getting in the road to Shazam/Avengers 4/Detective Pikachu.

Seriously, was Laika even trying?
>>
>>107017307
this studio only makes flops
and lets be honest. they look beautiful and it´s great that stop animation movies like this are still being made but their script, dialogue and jokes are almost always more miss then hit.
they need better writers
>>
>>107017448
probably had zero marketing
also how well did it do with the critics?
>>
>>107017307
yeah yeah and water is wet
>>
>>107027322
the humor
>>
>>107017786
At least Shazam was 100% a children's movie, so your choice was correct.
>>
>>107027941
You genuinely liked it or only liked it because of how “cute” shota Tracer is?
>>
>>107018093
The stories are always 10% short of being spectacular. There's great characters, fascinating expeditions, and interesting plots, but the climax always feels snubbed and that there was a lot of buildup for a solution that's neither surprising or very relatable. Don't get me wrong, Laika has easily acheieved to level of story craft that's high quality. It's just missing that extra push that makes you cry when you realize you were watching yourself this whole time on the screen, not just a bunch of characters living out a prewritten script.
>>
>>107028826
It was a cute story, and I liked how surreal and imaginative it would get at times. Nothing spectacular, but still a pretty solid flick. Tim’s got a cute design, but I’m not into shotas.
>>
It looked lame
>>
File: Pete's Mom.jpg (253 KB, 931x1242)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>107028493
It's also got a pretty nice MILF.
>>
File: Pete's Mom (model sheet).jpg (408 KB, 1738x1242)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
>>107030490
She has a smooth, deep voice that I could listen to for hours
>>
>>107030490
>>107030505
Cats make great moms.
>>
>>107017693
Bl-lat!
>>
See I really love Laika's work and I also browse /co/ but even I did not know about this movie. Nobody knows about Laika.

I am still butthurt and mad that Kubo lost against fucking Zootopia because people didn't know Kubo and HEY it is Disney so let's just give them the fucking Oscar and move on to the next category. Fuckers. Kubo is an overlooked masterpiece.
>>
>>107017448
>hardly any advertising
I actually had no idea it was laika and assumed from looks alone that it was another vendor trash cgi kids film. There's your answer.
>>
>>107017786
>denying their first choice
>trying to shill your niece and nephew
What a terrible uncle.
>>
>>107030617
zootopia > kubo
>>
>>107030854
Spoken like a true furfag.
>>
Laika's visual aesthetic is so off-beat that it really doesn't surprise me that they get overlooked. They have never made a film with characters that look cute or worth buying as toys. Everyone looks morbidly weird and misshapen. It's not visually interesting to children.
>>
>>107017855
>They follow only whatever ideology is convenient for those the rich and dead have elected to office.
Not sure which side you're talking about now
>>
>>107018335
Hans' "twist" & Elsa kinda being a bitchh (in the sissy way like when a male acts like a bitch).
>>
>>107017307
it time for that nike big wig to stop bankrolling his kids movies when all they are doing is losing him money.
>>
>>107017307
bombed? i think it performed great for having a ten dollar marketing budget.
>>
>>107018106
both of those disney sequels were mediocre trash compared to their originals, and wouldn't have been nominated if they weren't branded by The Mouse.
>>
>>107017818
>their ideological motherland
Germany?
>>
>movie opens with Sir Lionel Frost finding Nessie
>takes a photo and his camera is smashed
>valet quits, Frost finds a letter, Frost goes to expedition society to tell them he found a "Missing Link" in mankind
>they tell him evolution is stupid, and he makes a bet with the head of the society so he can be let in
>head of society sends evil prospector pete to kill him
>Mr. Link tells him that he wrote the letter and wants help to find his family
>Frost tells him Zoe Saldana's husband has a map that will lead them to this Shangri-la (the yeti place)
>They try to steal the map from Zoe's dead husband's safe, Zoe joins them
>Prospector tries to kill him twice, sends word that beast is real
>Zoe tells him that he treats Mr. Link as a servant, so Sir Frost tells him that he should name himself
>a prospector smiled at me, her name was Susan
>Prospector attacks them on a boat, they escape using life boats
>The find a mountain with some old lady with a chicken on her head which leads them to Shangri-la
>The yeti's see Susan as a redneck, hillbilly and put them in an "inescapable pit"
>Susan tries to throw the other two out of the pit
>"The people we don't want here are trying to leave here! Force them to Stay!"
>Yeti's inexplicably stop to let evil Prospector and evil Head of Society chat while Head breaks the ice bridge
>All the evil human villains die, and Zoe asks Susan and Sir Frost what they'll do now
>Sir Frost tells Susan he needs a "valet", I mean "partner"
>Sir Frost finds a monkey with a mermaid tail, and says they're going to search for Atlantis

>tl;dr "Around the World in 80 Days with Bigfoot" (and without Jackie Chan)
>>
File: 676142343_1920x1080.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>Make amazing stop motion films like Coraline and Paranorman and Kubo
>Also shit out Box Trolls and Missing Link

Coraline is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I really like stop motion, but if they shit up their brand with trash they might as well be dead. They need to stick to Ghibli type films, whimsical fantasy adventures not second rate "what if" jokes.
>what if the missing link were gay and on a train??? lmao so funny!!!
>>
>>107032544
>Coraline is my favorite film
Nigga, what?
>>
>>107017307
Well, I would say I saw it coming, but I have literally never heard of this movie until now. Also it looks like shit. So there's two reasons for it to bomb right there.
>>
>>107017490
Neither does Zootopia? Moana? Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, The Croods, Wreck-It Ralph, Aladdin, Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Up, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Finding Nemo, A Bugs Life, The Incredibles and countless other successful animated movies.

I think you're trying to look for an answer for the movie bombed in the wrong place.
>>
>>107033349
Wreck it Ralph, Croods, Up, and The Incredibles have child protagonists
>>
>>107033383
They have child characters, the protagonists are not children.
>>
>>107030943
>They have never made a film with characters that look cute

that's just flat out wrong
>>
>>107033486
She doesn't even have button eyes!
>>
Nobody fucking cares about big foot, its always box office poison.
>>
From the trailer nothing about it seems that appealing or cool to kids today, and it doesn't seem in line with any mainstream trends. Like, at all. Not even a little bit.
>>
>>107033736
>its always box office poison
Wait, seriously?
>>
When did it fucking come out
>>
>>107034150
They're making a yeti dreamworks movie and smallfoot was just released
>>
When is the last time Zach Galifianakis has been in something successful and/or good?
>>
>>107034219
I liked The Campaign
>>
>>107034219
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
The Lego Batman Movie (Joker)
>>
>>107034181
What was the last hit movie with big foot?
>>
>>107034303
He was Joker? Huh
>>
>laika movie bombs

why does this always happen
>>
>>107034214
And they will both be tax writeoffs
>>
>>107034917
amazing artists
shit writers
>>
>>107034219
Bob's Burgers
>>
>>107035044
shittily written movies can make lots of bucks
there's not enough investment into a clever and smart marketing team
>>
>>107035044
How the fuck does one even train or practice Stop-Motion that doesn't look like shit?
>>
>>107035123
like any other discipline. make them practice at it and keep doing it until they stop sucking
>>
>>107035123
“Looking like shit” is highly subjective
There’s definitely a cult audience that likes it when stop-mo is jerky and ceepy-looking, and they complain about Laika’s work being too smooth, but it’s a small minority of viewers. Regardless, stuff the The Brothers Quay still have an audience
>>
What exactly are Laika character models made out of? Some kind of stiff clay or polymer?
>>
>>107035280
I know most is 3D printed material
>>
>>107035307
pic related
>>
>>107034303
>A Wrinkle in Time
Wasn't successful or good
>>
>>107035396
That's the joke anon
>>
>>107017307
Torn between seeing either this or Shazam tis weekend. Which would make for a better time at the theater?
>>
>>107035587
Shazam, by a large fucking margin. Missing Link is honestly Laika's weakest link. The whole movie is greentext here if you're remotely interested.
>>
>>107035587
Shazam is just a superhero movie by a big corporate machine, even if it is fun. Missing Link is a nice time and enjoyable for what it is, which is a leisurely paced yet tight and simple story with a lot of class and visual wonderment. ML definitely needs your money a lot more, at the very least
>>
>>107033736
It's always puzzled me how there's this persistent minority that thinks everyone loves bigfoot.

Even if you managed to hit the niche crowd of kids who care about Bigfoot, what could you possibly do with the character that hasn't already been done better?
>>
>>107035832
The backstory of smallfoot looked liked an interesting idea. Have humankind and Yeti's have war, but this led to their isolation and covering up their history and existence from humankind. The only other option is to go full fantasy and include other creatures.
>>
>>107035165
Honestly I think a pretty big margin of people like the jerky look of stop-motion, even if they don't actively point it out. It's really noticeable in The Wrong Trousers and The Nightmare Before Christmas for example, and I get the impression that most people enjoy that element, subconsciously at the least.

Maybe you think it looks "creepy," but I think for most people it reminds them of the craftsmanship that goes into the film, while it's easy to take the smooth look for granted.
>>
>>107035901
The mouth animations still look like classic Stop-Motion from aardman. I don't understand why people don't recognize it as stop-motion.
>>
>>107020333
>woman-brained
incel detected
>>
>>107027899
>Kubo
>Good
Kubo is completely sold by the stop motion gimmik, it's very bland, has no depth and lacks any real originaltiy and magic
>>
>>107033349
no I was just making a point, concerning Laika movies specifically, not related to ALL ANIMATED MOVIES EVER
>>
File: Dawgs.jpg (41 KB, 660x371)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
You guys think Laika would ever work with Wes Anderson?
>>
>>107036251
Yes, Laika would. The real question is will Wes Anderson's ego let him work with Laika?
>>
>>107036251
Wes has a fairly closely knit team that he works with for all of his projects. As awesome as it would be for a team-up, I can't see him working with a different team than the one he's built.
>>
>>107036305
I actually wasn't aware of that; though I suppose I should have noticed given the distinct style of stop motion.
>>
>>107017307
Didn't know about this movie 'til I saw a preview for it at the Broly Movie. Only time I saw it too
>>
>>107032526
>>Yeti's inexplicably stop to let evil Prospector and evil Head of Society chat while Head breaks the ice bridge
So, we learn nothing about the actual Yeti's. That seems like a weak climax, how much of it is true?
>>
>>107036251
The answer is no, he IS friends with Henry Selick (who worked extensively on The Life Aquatic and was meant to co-direct Fantastic Mr. Fox before Coraline ended up occupying his time) but at this point he knows how to direct animation on his own and he's a pretty controlling director who's attached to the idea of auteurship, given he's shifted towards mostly writing his movies solo I don't think that's bound to change either and I would doubt he'll ever work under any studio as a contract director, if he was to work under Laika they'd have to produce exactly the movie he wants with zero alterations, which I have doubts about being the most commercial approach you could take with this subject matter
>>
>>107036379
Henry Selick doesn't even work at Laika anymore, so I don't think Wes Anderson has any connections to Laika right now.
>>
>>107017818
Everyone hates Russia now because of a made up relationship between Putin and Trump spread by the main stream media.
>>
>>107037024
>Everyone hates Russia now because it has been a total piece of shit country for the last 5 years
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>107037239
>last 5 years
Try 500 mate
>>
>>107017448
then what's the point?
>>
It's a stopmotion film that isn't trying to be the next Nightmare Before Christmas, so of course it bombed
>>
>>107037471
True enough, with some brief windows of improvement.
>>
>implying they care about box office
LMAO WE GOT THAT NIKE MONEY NIGGA
>>
>>107037530
It's not even Disney
>>
>>107019898
All right. I finally saw The Boxtrolls.

It’s definitely LAIKA’s weakest film, but it’s not bad. It wasn’t groundbreaking or jaw-dropping, but I enjoyed it as a cute little story that made the most of its overtly British nature. The Boxtrolls were fun, Eggs and Winnie’s friendship was cute, and the villains were pretty entertaining. I also liked the ending moral about change.

The setting just felt limited is all.
>>
>>107038951
What was the ending moral
>>
>>107036251
Nah. Wes Anderson likes to do things his way and he has a certain unconventional style to his directing other Director's wouldn't really gel with.
They would be constantly asking him why? all the time and he'd be like "just because" and it would piss both of them off.
>>
>>107034219
Lego Batman Movie.
>>
Hideous character design. Only thing missing was the audience that wanted to see this bullshit.
>>
>>107039502
Everything except Susan was well designed
>>
>>107035892
>Have humankind and Yeti's have war, but this led to their isolation and covering up their history and existence from humankind
That's not interesting. The ultimate problem with a yeti/bigfoot/missing link story is that if they're just like us, so what. If they're unintelligent, why not tell a story about apes instead.
>>
I haven’t seen Missing Link yet, but ParaNorman is one of my favorite movies ever made.
>>
>>107036367
The climax is pretty weak. The villains are really generic and forgettable, and honestly seem almost unnecessary to the story
>>
>>107017345
fucking kek

of course it would bomb, there are a million supernatural 3d animated movies with a big dumb retard main character. And to top it off, it's British. And that fat unfunny jew voicing him. No shit it would bomb, literally nobody wants to see this uninspired, forgettable shlock. Not kids. Not adults. No one.
>>
>>107041091
>nobody wants to see this uninspired, forgettable shlock.
Marvel movies being so popular disproves this. All people want to watch is bottom of the barrel trash.
>>
>>107041506
So, you're calling this movie bottom of the barrel trash? At least what those have going for them is the same that macro lager has going for it. An extreme amount of engineering went in to make it palatable to the widest audience. Objectively, there are much better beers out there, but sometimes you just want something cold, wet, and not too sweet. This movie was more like a faggy ipa that you would shove in a build your own six pack, but not go out of your way to buy a case of.
>>
>>107041618
>So, you're calling this movie bottom of the barrel trash?
I'm not calling this movie anything because I haven't seen it.
>>
>>107017448
Just didn't seem all that interesting to me
Like Coraline, Paranorman, and Kubo all looked pretty interesting and this one just has bigfoot coming to civilization. Just not as interesting or adventurous as the others seemed.
>>
File: Incredible NUT.png (536 KB, 1024x563)
536 KB
536 KB PNG
>>107018205
>filename
As do I, anon. As do I.
>>
>>107027978
it alright
>>
File: gross.png (13 KB, 570x182)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>107036126
This. All laika films, with the barest minimum of exceptions being Coraline, are all shit. Why? Because the writing sucks ass. The stories suck ass. People didn't like Toy Story because it was CGI. Deep down, they liked it because it had CHARACTER. It had a real pathos to it. You don't get that with Laika. They are too preoccupied with the artistry of the stop motion and set building, to even properly begin building a story that resonates with audiences. The writers that they do have on board are very, very bad and don't know how to pace a story or add any intrigue whatsoever. It's like they plucked a normie off the street and told them to write a script within a week.

People ITT keep trying to juggle for answers for why this movie bombed when the answer is really simple: The story sucks. It's not interesting. Give the mainstream more credit. They can sense when a movie is simply not "all there". Take one good look at any of the promos for Missing Link, you can FEEL the emptiness emanating off the puppets as they move about. No intrigue whatsoever. That's why this fuckass movie bombed, nothing else. These numbers don't lie. Coraline was there only modest success, because it had a story worth telling, with actual talented people involved who knew what they were doing.
>>
>>107036126
The opening scene and the first act in general are the best thing Laika has done by a wide margin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXadXRCa1RI

It's unfortunate the rest of the movie doesn't live up to it's beginning.
>>
>>107043127
Why are all the budgets the exact same? I thought they had NIKE money
>>
>>107037024
>>107037239
>>107037471
And yet their cartoons are better than most Disney ones.
>>
>>107043469
They have a big cash stockpile, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to go wasting it. Beancounters probably did the math and figured that was the sweet spot where they could make the movies they wanted while still having it be sustainable as a hobby and not a large enough drain on Nike's resources to make shareholders concerned
>>
>>107043605
objectively wrong, I hated their version of the frozen queen
>>
>>107022565
>ParaNorman over Kubo

Imagine living with this shit tier taste.
>>
>>107041742
well good job going out of your way to add absolutely nothing to the discussion
>>
>>107032526
They don't "inexplicably stop". It quite clearly shows they're all left dazed and KOd during the escape and only pick themselves up after the short villain talk
>>
While it is for sure the weakest of the five films, I'm not sure why people tear into Box Trolls so much. It's perfectly fine considering the absurdity of it all.
>>
>>107044197
Basically a kneejerk reaction based on first impressions, we were knee-deep in Minion-mania at that point and it looked like a cheap grab at that market
>>
>>107039502
>WTF THERE'S NO JAILBAIT TO FAP TO!
>>
>>107044575
Not that guy, but I agree from all the Laika movies so far this one has the worst character designs. Not bad per se, but kinda boring and uninspired.
>>
>>107044575
Bait aside, the Bigfoot design is astoundingly unappealing and it was arrogant and/or stupid to put that goofy motherfucker's shit-eating grin as the centerpiece of the marketing campaign.
>>
>>107044135
Only a small amount fall
>>
>>107043635
Well that's just because you're an idiot.
>>
>>107045341
A lackluster story with no character animation is still bad
>>
>>107017987
>winning an oscar meaning shit
you know that most the people who actually voted for who wins the oscars have been on the record as not seeing half the films they're voting for, right?
>>
>>107046548
>not even bothering to provide a source
The Oscars are the highest level of prestige it can have, besides they're just cartoons. It's not like any actually work was put into it, anyone can draw a square or move a doll.
>>
>>107017307
I can appreciate stop motion but I doubt a kid cares to see something that basically looks like a less dynamic version of their CGI cartoons
>>
>>107017490
Remember when they announced they'd move to adult protags and everyone was excited for some mature stories? But instead we get more boring fucking kiddy shit. It's no surprise their best films (Coraline and Kubo) are also their most serious.
>>
>>107017693
>Actually anming the guy that made the puppets as a hype point.

So, so high brow. It makes me feel like peasan trash!
>>
>>107018151
>abo
>minable
>>
>>107046960
>>
>>107017840
Kek
>>
>>107046960
>The Oscars are the highest level of prestige it can have
>they're just cartoons
That’s an alarming amount of red flags there
>>
>>107047986
Saw a trailer for it. It had very heavy Chinese pandering, Chinese female main character, and a Taylor swift song.
>>
File: Scoob cringes.jpg (45 KB, 540x405)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>107049947
>a Taylor swift song
What is this, 2012?
>>
>>107050442
MC was showing the yeti, "the magic of Taylor Swift". It's in the movie not just the trailer
>>
It was kind of a baby movie more so than any of the previous Laika films.
>>
I passed on it because it was advertised as the EPIC COMEDY OF THE YEAR, feels like a 180 from their other films.
>>
>>107018005
Pretty funny, great action, fantastic animation. Good voice acting. Mediocre but passable story/drama. Worth seeing in theaters.
>>
>>107047063
>their best films (Coraline and Paranorman)
Fixed that for you
>>
ouch
>>
>>107047063
THIS. What’s up with that? I thought that by “adult protagonist” they’d make something like this.
>>
>>107035639
>ML definitely needs your money a lot more, at the very least
Laika doesn’t need anyone’s money as long as Nike exists.
>>
File: 4.gif (2.3 MB, 480x266)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB GIF
>>107019647
>that fucking end bit with the insane skeleton puppet
jesus christ, i need to rewatch this movie
>>
>>107027404
>>
File: it be like it is.jpg (89 KB, 512x512)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>107051408
>>
I truly believe their character designs have a large part to do with why their films don't do better. Their films aren't garbage, plenty of worse or equivalent films do a lot better. But Laika is tethered to a design philosophy that is off putting. They've been using Heidi Smith since 2012 and she's worked on all their films including Missing Link. I really think you guys should read her short interview with Cartoon Brew and read the comments from her coworkers beneath, it's very telling

www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/meet-paranorman-character-designer-heidi-smith-67775.html

Heidi Smith's designs are interesting, but they are not appealing and they are not marketable. Mainstream audiences are open to cute, cool, beautiful, sexy and scary but what they don't like is weird or ugly. If Laika's character designs were prettier I think the films would have done better. They don't need to look like Disney, they could have stood out in a different way and still looked nicer. I don't think Heidi Smith is bad or anything, I understand what they are going for. But if they want to make money it isn't the right approach.
>>
Yeah, I think there may need to be more compromise with the designs towards the mainstream, even if they don't budge on anything else. I think the 'off' style worked for Paranorman because of the kind of movie it is, but rarely there's a one size fits all solution for everything. Kubo (mostly talking about the character himself) got the closest to that compromise I think.
>>
File: 13_036.PNG.png (926 KB, 1136x640)
926 KB
926 KB PNG
>>107032544
>also shit out box trolls
I guarantee you haven't seen it because that was my opinion too, it looked like shit and was marketed like minions kept me FAR away from it until I eventually watched it and was pissed off it was marketed so badly, Mr. Snatcher is a kino villain, anyone that hasn't seen it give it a shot
>>
>>107052599
>calarts female

That explains everything. Everyone in ParaNorman looked butt ugly. I think you're right. These movies look weird compared to clean and soft CGI more marketable to normalfags.

But... Kubo has the tamest designs ever. That one has decent designs. Maybe Beetle has weird unwashed teeth, but you rarely notice it. That one I can't explain. But the stories go hand in hand with the designs, and they both falter. In Kubo's case, it was just too high concept for little kids.

I also began noticing that Boxtrolls looks VERY similar to Flapjack, which is another cartoon that goes for the full ick factor. ParaNorman/Boxtrolls/Missing Link definitely go for that look. This is why I say to look at the 2D end credits for Boxtrolls, the 2D designs are superior.
>>
>>107052714
Flapjack worked because of the old-timey inked look it had as a 2d cartoon, and Flapjack himself was a cute boy that contrasted with the gnarled residents of a rickety city. That thing on the left is not very cute
>>
>>107052678
>>107052714
While Kubo was closer to mainstream than their other movies I still think the designs weren't quite there in terms of marketability. They could have been refined a bit more to look more broadly palatable. While Kubo had excellent craftsmanship I'd say something about the overall art direction didn't quite hit the mark. Japan is easily a very lush and beautiful setting but it's not a 'pretty' movie. Its beautiful if you understand the work that went into it but its just not shiny and pretty and the human characters have weird proportions. If they'd stuck to making horror comedies their off kilter style would have worked just fine but in choosing a broader range of settings they need to adjust their art direction particularly where character designs are concerned.

At this point while I think Laika is full of talented artisans I don't have much faith in their leadership. They're not picking good projects or projects that play to their strengths, they have little idea of what is actually marketable or appealing to normies, they're unbudging and uncompromising in their approach towards scriptwriters and character design and they can only continue to burn money for so much longer.
>>
File: 1550188904849.jpg (28 KB, 470x290)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>you now realize that Laika is the Telltale Games of animation studios
>>
>>107052599
>Heidi Smith
Would you?
>>
>>107052708
Box Trolls is flat-out their best film from an animation standpoint, I was constantly floored by how good it looked, and yeah, Snatcher and his buddy were the character highlights of the film, extremely enjoyable. I love the film to bits and it's depressing that it's basically doomed to be their most easily forgotten film simply because the basic premise disinclines people from even giving it a chance.
>>
>>107053692
I was disappointed when they pulled a punch.

His dad should be dead ffs.
>>
File: but butts.png (321 KB, 640x480)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
>>107051408
This kind of post would have more merit if the overwhelming majority of animated films today weren't ugly garbage, as opposed to beautiful garbage.
>>
>>107053657
nose fuck her? all day.
>>
>>107051613
okay but I'm glad they didn't go that far up their own ass
>>
>>107053802
Was anamolisa that bad?
>>
>>107032526
Honestly this movie would have been so much better if they just ditched the Villians and made Sir Lionel a famous adventurer to begin with. Make the action scenes just dealing with natural hazards during the expedition. And most importantly change the conflict from being Lionel obsessed with being a part of some legendary adventurer group to one where he learns that his legendary status is not as important as the friendship he's made with Susan, yeah it's stereotypical but at least it would be less of a mess narratively.

Oh and get rid of the Maria Sue, that Latin bitch was just annoying and served no point other than to spew out the moral of the film.
>>
Am I the only one here who was completely put off by Kubo's starting line? " Don't blink or you'll miss it" one. I genuinely thought it was something our localisers threw in for normies, until I checked the original
>>
>>107054425
I found it a little corny maybe, but I’m positive that if I were still a kid actually in the target demographic, I would love the fuck out of it.
>>
>>107054425
I don't get it
>>
>>107017448
It looks very unappealing
I couldn't even tell it was stop motion from the posters, I thought it was just ugly CGI
>>
>>107054425
>”If you must blink, do it now.”
>implying every single frame is precious and intended to be seen
>in a film brought to you by artists who literally toil over meticulously handcrafting every single frame to make the movie
>they don’t want you blinking on that one second of footage that they spent hours working on

Kinda makes sense, when you think about it.
>>
File: retard.png (72 KB, 210x243)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>107027313
>shitting on paranorman
>>
>>107055885
>in a film brought to you by artists who literally toil over meticulously handcrafting every single frame to make the movie
>they don’t want you blinking on that one second of footage that they spent hours working on
It's just a cartoon dude.
>>
>>107017693
Even though I know you're a shill, anon, it's nice to see you still at it with a lesser-known movie.
>>
File: 1523178019351.png (164 KB, 465x464)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>107051408
>Shaun the Sheep
>a marginally better movie
take that back fucker, Shaun the Sheep was a great movie
>>
>>107018106
>Incredibles 2 was considered really good
Everyone in the world with the exception of a few contrarians who either love or hate it for the sake of having an opinion thought it was ok and nothing more and nothing less.
>>
>>107027313
I’d fuck Mel Jones so hard that she’d need to keep that neck brace on for another SIX MONTHS
>>
>>107058742
Her name is Mel? I don't remember them saying the parents name in the film.
>>
>>107058742
Fpbp
>>
>>107033349
you need to work on your reading comprehension
>>
>>107059981
Suggesting that a kid protagonist was somehow the key to all of LAIKA's stories was a retarded suggestion to begin with. There's no poor reading comprehension at all, just a dumb point other poster was trying to make. Every single one of their films had different writers, they never had anything in common other than they were all funded by that one Nike son as a passion project.
>>
>>107054194
>critical praise
>wins the Venice Film Festival
>first R-rated Oscar nomination for best animated feature
I’d say it was certainly a bigger accomplishment than Missing Link.
>>
>>107060174
There is rarely a correlation between a film being good and winning awards. Is the story any good?
>>
>>107027313
Paranorman was fucking great though. If you're shitting on it I doubt you saw it. Had the added bonus of triggering Fox News by having the gay character.
>>
>>107060304
Not that guy, but I think Anomalisa is fantastic. One of the best movies of that year desu
>>
>>107060304
>There is rarely a correlation between a film being good and winning awards.
Yeah, but remember that the Oscars usually dismiss animation as kiddy crap. For them to recognize an adult film in that category, even if it loses to the usual Pixar movie, is certainly noteworthy.
>>
>>107019479
>family love
more like incest. Get ready for Elsa getting shagged
>>
>>107059012
I’m pretty sure it’s written in the art book. Maybe even the end credits.
>>
>>107017345
Apologize.
>>
>>107017448
Bad marketing. I didn't even know this movie existed until a week ago.
>>
>>107018005
Went to see it on Tuesday, it was a cute sweet film that looked great on the big screen. It isnt as good as Coraline or Paranorman. I think it was more meant to be a movie geared to a MUCH younger audience then the others - like under 10.
>>
They need to learn to play to the medium's strength and make more stuff that's off-kilter like Coraline and Paranorman. I guarantee that if all they made were horror films they'd be three times as popular and well known.
>>
I just got back from seeing this. I thought it was alright. Coraline and Kubo are way better. Adelita didn't really do much other than tell Frost he was an asshole though. I thought there was going to be more tension between them about her husband, but they forgot about that right away. Also, some scenes were too talky with how much they wanted to hammer in the message. Sick animation and designs though.
>>
>>107062914
>Sick animation and designs though
LAIKA in a nutshell
>>
I want to go see this but I looked up the schedule for all the cinemas in my area and they only play this movie while I'm at work or in a REALLY early morning graveyard slot. Guess I can just wait for Blurays but it really sucks that any animated film not associated with Disney, Dreamworks or some other big name gets such shit treatment.
>>
File: Coraline_Mother.jpg (49 KB, 666x386)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>107017307
Ouch... I didn't even realize that it was already out.

>>107017335
Yeah.... I love Laika to death, but comedy and slapstick was never really their strength. I watched them for unique visuals, and atmosphere, and going just a bit darker than what you can get from something like Disney. But the Missing Link trailer didn't really win me over.
>>
>>107018833
I like how Coraline's real mum is giving the Other Mother the eye.
>>
>>107017307
I'm just thankful I won't have to see the same fucking trailer for this thing the next time I'm at the theater, swear to christ I saw it before every movie I went to over the last 4 months.
>>
File: 0f6d27d4bef.jpg (49 KB, 625x625)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>107023875
For all the flak it gets, I think Boxtrolls has some genuinely funny chemistry between the two lead characters.

It's the only Laika movie where the humor is a fully realized part of the cast dynamic and not just a bit of slapstick on the side. Granted, I haven't seen Missing Link yet, so I don't know how well that does.
>>
Bring back Selick and Gaiman and do "The Graveyard Book". At this point that would be the closest Laika could get to a "hit"
>>
>>107063945
Disney actually planned on doing that until Frankenweenie flopping caused them to pull the plug on it and Selick's Shadow King.
>>
>>107063747
the biggest weak spot of the box trolls is ironically the box trolls themselves
>>
>>107063945
>>107064355
Yeah, Disney has the rights to that one so Laika will never get the chance, and now that Selick's off the project it probably will be live-action and not any good if it ever does get made
>>
>>107058742
>dat nose
Hnnnnnnnghhh
>>
File: 1350112216310.jpg (51 KB, 948x1052)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>107052847
>That thing on the left is not very cute
>>
>>107064558
Does Selick or Gaiman have any other projects in mind? What other books did Gaiman write after tha
>>
>>107063747
Oh, she's adorable.
>>
>>107052847
>That thing on the left is not very cute
Them’s fightin’ words. Eggs is CUTE!
>>
>>107066619
Selick is working on a movie for Netflix called Wendell and Wild, Gaiman wrote all the episodes for the adaptation of he and Terry Pratchett's book Good Omens that Amazon and BBC are making.
Gaiman's wrote lots of stuff since Graveyard Book (short stories, TV episodes, co-writes and so on) but the only proper novel is The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's not really a kids book but does sort of feature a child protagonist (it's told in flashback) and has similar themes to Coraline.
In briefest possible terms it's about a boy who finds out his neighbor is a cute and weird 11 year old girl named Lettie who lives with her equally weird grandma and mother (who all have something ambiguously supernatural going on, they're basically witches). He and Lettie try to get to the bottom of strange stuff going on around the village and send a creature that's been throwing stuff at people back to its own world but during the process of casting a spell he doesn't follow Lettie's directions and a worm gets stuck in his foot that he pulls out when he gets home, and the next day a creepy nanny that his parents hired shows up who his sister and everyone else likes but is cruel to him in private, and also at one point he walks on his dad fucking her. Nanny starts to turn everyone against him, things get progressively darker and more fantastical, and at the end Lettie has to sacrifice her life for him.
It would make for good stop motion, but again someone else has the rights unfortunately.
>>
>>107064359
Yeah... I liked the kids, the villains, and the snooty nobleman, but I don't remember anything particularly great about the actual trolls.

They're not Minions tier annoying, but they're just kind of interchangeable mascot characters.
>>
>>107067033
Does anybody have the rights to Neverwhere?
>>
>>107067163
The Weinstein Company did, but it was abandoned years ago and they no longer exist so it's probably either reverted or easily up for grabs
>>
>>107067107
I can't lie, I want to do lewd things to the chubby loli
>>
File: Kubo Fields.jpg (19 KB, 720x405)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>107024019
Kubo was visually amazing, but I thought the pacing in the second half felt a little rushed. Like a series of quick set-pieces from a mini-series as opposed to a film.

My favorite part of the movie is easily the beginning, where Kubo's just trying to do his best to connect with and care for his semi-catatonic mother. It's quiet, subtle, and gives a quick emotional window into what their lives have been like together. The whole love at first sight romance between the mother and father didn't stick with me quite as much by comparison.
>>
>>107067185
Weinstein Company?
>>
>>107018205
Why is Helen so fucking hot, bros?
>>
>>107068317
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weinstein_Company
>>
>>107030712
>you have to give children everything they want the moment they want it no questions asked
Timmy please leave, I know your mommy decided to un-parent you but this isn't even a good website for adults to visit.
>>
>>107068339
Oh, that Weinstein
>>
>>107017786
>we gotta see the animated movie because it's for kids!!!
Please don't ever do this again
>>
>>107017307
Does Susan have any porn yet?
>>
>>107069149
God no, please no.
>>
File: 1509809218226.jpg (20 KB, 276x336)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>107069149
>>
>>107036379
>he's shifted towards mostly writing his movies solo
In fact-checking this, I didn't know he wrote the last two screenplays by himself. Even in these cases though, as is true of all the films he's ever done, he has shared credits for the stories. Anderson has the stigma as the ultimate auteur director, but he relies on lots of collaboration to carry out a shared vision.

Also, while you're certainly right in saying him doing something with Laika wouldn't be the most commercial approach, Missing Link is doing so poorly I'm pretty sure even his indie films will have ended up making more money. I'm not saying they do this, but if they're truly funded as a passion for the artform as is often said, maybe they should just switch audiences altogether and find indie directors with established fanbases interested in doing a stop-motion thing, like Anderson, Kaufman, Del Toro, Waititi, or Burton.
>>
>>107060304
no, it's bad even for kaufman
>>
>>107057175
He's saying that Shaun the Sheep is a great movie, you dolt.
>>
>>107017448
>family-friendly PG rating
>celebrity VAs
>simple story normies can follow
So soulless shit with zero passion made by committee to appeal to a larger audience.
No wonder it flopped, all Laika did by making this is guarantee their ten loyal fans wouldn't go see it.
>>
File: a quick Google search.png (7 KB, 608x157)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>107069955
>>
Is stop motion dead?
>>
>>107027313
Nigga Boxtrolls is the best one
>>
>>107069763
>indie directors like Burton
I can't think of a worse outcome
>>
>>107070402
Was stop motion ever alive to begin with?
>>
>>107071945
Aardman is the only one I would think people would remember
>>
>>107058742
She cute. I want more Mel art.
>>
>>107017307
Why is Laika doing so shit
>>
File: why thou.png (454 KB, 500x573)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>107043127
>They are too preoccupied with the artistry of the stop motion and set building, to even properly begin building a story that resonates with audiences.

I'm glad someone else noticed this about Laika. They're too obsessed with surface glamor at the cost of story.

Like that giant Gashadokuro puppet. Why did they need that? Just for novelty's sake?
>>
>>107073202
There’s a whole thread to answer that question for you
>>
>>107070005
I'll put some Margarine on your mom
>>
>>107073235
Because it looks cool
>>
>>107073389
Tldr
>>
>>107074071
All right then. Read this: >>107043127
>>
Kubo>Paramorman>Coraline>Boxtrolls>Missing Link
>>
Why does it say Travis Knight is an animator when all he does is produce?
>>
File: Nike boy hard at work.jpg (80 KB, 1200x675)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>107074163
Because he also animated?
>>
>>107074163
>All he does is produce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h7p0NckTKc
This is the man you're talking about
>>
>>107074330
DId he animate Bumblebee?
>>
>>107074330
Do they have one of these for coraline, where you can see the animators moving the puppets?
>>
File: 1493131563866s.jpg (6 KB, 249x187)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>107046475
>implying Frozen already isn't a shit movie
>>
>>107035280
https://youtu.be/jXqqd0ZBEMA
>>
>>107074510
There's this. I don't know the name of the animator, though.
>>
>>107074517
It won an award and got tons of money
>>
>>107074919
That means nothing.
>>
>>107074957
??????
>>
>>107017991
The bigfoot MC is named Susan and he's annoying.
>>
File: REEEEEEE.jpg (67 KB, 900x900)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I WANT TO FUUUUUUUCK MEL JONES

There. Bump limit.
>>
>>107073235
LITERALLY just so Travis can lay the claim that they made "the largest stop motion puppet" in the world. That's it. Nevermind that the movie is a shitty video game plot with forced romance and messages, we can be a small footnote in a Guinness book of world records instead!
>>
File: 1471860895938.png (134 KB, 317x392)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>107074163
>>107074289
I wonder where the animosity comes from him. Sure he is a silver spoon brat that treats his workers like inhuman slaves, but he's at least down in the trenches doing what he loves and using his daddy money to make art for the sake of art and not just profit like Disney and the like do. I guess it's because people get butthurt that they weren't born so privileged to be playing around with dolls all day instead of working a 9 to 5 for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>107076585
>video game plot
What?
>>
>>107076585
How can the message of the movie be "forced"? And how can romance be forced into a movie all about loved ones and dealing with their loss?
>>
>>107076867
I work 9 to 5 moving dolls all day, so what?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.