[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Do Europeans even have the delicious wonder that is the root beer float? Some may call it a brown cow, others an ice cream soda, but by any name it tastes just as good. Europeans can never insult American food culture if they can't even enjoy the modern delicacy of Root Beer Float.
>>
Europeans have a general dislike for rootbeer as it tastes too medicinal for them
>>
Do Americans really..?
>>
>>12909850
they drink chinotto but can't deal with root beer? I don't believe you
>>
>>12909844
In the UK we have old fashioned sweets called sarsaparilla tablets/sticks which I think is the same flavour but they're not very popular. I like them though, barley sugar and sarsaparilla sticks you used to be able to buy at pharmacies not sure if you still can.
>>
>>12909858
Chinotto is delicious, the ideal pairing for pizza
Rootbeer too often has disgusting wintergreen overpowering everything
>>
>>12909850
See that weirds me out, because things like herbal liqueurs, amaros, chinotto etc are popular in much of Europe. You're saying root beer is too medicinal? It's certainly not any more so than many of the things that are widely enjoyed.
>>
>>12909850
If my medicine as a kid tasted like root beer, i would never have had a problem choking it down. Hell, they probably would have had to stop me from drinking it. Better than whatever sickening cherry bullshit they give us on this side of the pond. I can't even smell anything cherry without gagging. Cherry pie, jelly, candy etc. is all out of the window. Eh, asi es la vida I guess.
>>
nigger poo hahaha
>>
>>12909863
Proper root beer should primarily taste like sarsaparilla and sassafras, backed up by anise, cinnamon, clove, wintergreen, and black birch or cherry bark. Sometimes burdock. Sassafras is the defining flavor of root beer though.
>>
>>12909862
Sarsaparilla is similar to, but definitely not the same as root beer. It's more peppery and less wintergreen, and lacks the defining aroma of sassafras.
>>
>>12909865
nah you'd hate root beer now, because it wouldn't taste like root beer it'd taste like sickening rootbeer bullshit
>>
>>12909881
Ever had root beer barrel candy? My mum would buy them from specialty American stores and they were my favourite sweets as a child. Never had a problem with them.
>>
>>12909884
bet you if they mixed that same flavoring in cough syrup it wouldn't be good anymore
>>
>>12909850
you know europeans would more often then not be using old medicinal techniques such as herbs and old school remedies right? the only people obsessed with medicine is americans, medicine for cough, medicine for headaches, anything that makes you feel un-normal
>>
>>12909922
Medicinal herbs is still medicinal, shithead.
>>
>>12909844
Root beer i.e toothpaste mixed with germolene
You can keep that shit mate, it's fucking disgusting
>>
File: coke-float-02.jpg (42 KB, 680x1020)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>12909844
We prefer a coke float
>>
For me, its the orange crush shake.
>>
>>12909844
>>12909991
Sonic or fosters freeze?
I think i might get one this afternoon
>>
>>12909864
Not that many people really drink those. Mostly old people.
>>
File: 900.jpg (149 KB, 900x900)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>12909850
This. Frenchfag here, root beer taste like shit, smell like feet ointment.
>>
>>12909991
That’s called a polar bear
>>
>>12909864
None of them taste anywhere as vile as root beer
>>
>>12909865
Cherry flavor is what personally convinces me of an out of touch global elite that just feeds us whatever crap
>>
Europoor here, what does root beer taste like? Root? Beer?

Someone pls respond
>>
>>12912171
Vanilla nutmeg licorice
>>
File: 1375136264779 (1).jpg (4 KB, 229x220)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>12912175
>Licorice
>In a drink
>>
>>12912171
Sassafras. It was originally made with the sassafras root. Now, that flavor is simulated with a mixture of carcinogenic petroleum chemicals. Americans love petroleum chemicals over organic products.
>>
>>12909844
Fucker, a "Brown Cow" is made with Coke instead of Root Beer.
>>
>>12909922
What the fuck are you even saying?
>>
>>12912171
Mostly wintergreen and stevia these days.
>>
File: absinthe.jpg (83 KB, 640x930)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>12912194
>>
>>12909844
Make your float with a nice stout and ginger ice-cream instead. Thank me later.
>>
>>12909844
ice cream floats make my chest hurt
>>
Root beer is the worst thing I've ever drank. Not being hyperbolic for effect, I mean it literally. I was shocked at just how much I disliked it after hearing my American buddies rave about how many children they like it.

I've never seen root beer floats sold here, but I haven't tried any American themed restauarants so they might be sold there.
>>
>>12912171
it's basically just caramelized sugar water with a small hint of another flavor
>>
>>12909844
its because they are morons that drink root beer warm and buy the shitty brands
>>
>>12912006
Pls respond
>>
>>12909864
I think you make a good point, but a lot of American would find herbal liqueurs to medicinal. It seems to be a matter of what people grow up with or become accustomed to as over time. American expatriates might come to like salted liquorice typical of scandinavian countries whereas most born and raised Americans who don't like it. If they grew up consuming it regularly then they might enjoy it.
>>
>>12909844
in some parts of europe wintergreen (an ingredient in some root beers) is used to flavor cough syrup. So most people associate that taste with medicine and being sick.
>>
>>12912171
more root than beer, slightly spicy if you get the good stuff
>>
>>12909865
You must be easily suggestible because "cherry flavored" medicines taste absolutely nothing like actual cherries.
>>
>>12909844
We simply don't have root beer here. I live in a big city in Germany and have never even had the opportunity to try a root beer.
>>
>>12909844
>soda
Lip up, fatty.
>>
>>12914617
That's gonna suck when I start living in Munich. I wonder how many things I take for granted I'll not have again for a while.
>>
>>12909844
Do you
>Eat the ice cream first
>Drink the root beer first
>Stir and mix it all together
???
>>
Whats the best root beer and brand of ice cream for a float
>>
>>12914654
Don't stir.

Eat>drink>eat>drink

It's not complicated
>>
File: jenka2.png (193 KB, 475x519)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
Im scandinavian and think root beer tastes mostly like wintergreen, growing up we had bubble gum that tastes just like it
>pic related
>>
>>12914654
You drink it first then eat if you feel like it, DON’T listen to anyone else
>>
We call them spiders in Australia. You can ask for them at almost all cafes.
>>
>>12914821
This is exactly why I can't drink root beer.
The association with Jenka is too strong so it just tastes like drinking gum to me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.