[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Ok, so I have some people telling me that the ketogenic diet is dangerous long term, that it can reduce bone density and possibly affect the thyroid.
The thing is: I feel so much better: mentally clearer, more energetic, etc, on a ketogenic diet than when I have slowly re-added some carbs and sugars.
My father in particular, who used keto short term to kick diabetes, is insisting that it is addictive, and should not be used as a long term diet.
Does anyone here actually know what they are talking about when it comes to ketosis? If you do know, please give me some insight.
tl;dr: I want to stay on the ketogenic diet all the time. What are the possible health risks?
>>
>>12472568
Why don’t you ask a dietician instead of a bunch of inbred autists
>>
I should add that I feel like I have IBS and GERD (undiagnosed), but I have no symptoms, even from garlic or spicy foods, when I am in ketosis.
>>
>>12472568
It is addictive for the exact same benefits you mentioned experiencing

Ketosis does fuck with your heart.
>>
>>12472571
Why can't I do both?
>>
>>12472585
>heart
I certainly noticed the increased heart rate and palpitations during transition, but what does it do exactly?
>>
Its an interesting experiment but eating only processed meats is by far the stupidest thing you can do

So in that regard its a rather expensive fad diet, like many
>>
>>12472599
I'm doing it right: lots of greens, healthy oils, fish, nuts, eggs, celery, etc.
Protein intake is actually limited, so people doing it with processed meats aren't really doing it right.
>>
>>12472607
Mmm imagine the sharts
>>
File: so-yyy.jpg (56 KB, 459x575)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>12472568
no way eating like a faggot on some meme fucking diet of all fat and cholesterol couldnt possibly be dangerous.
>>
You're going to get bored with it. Best case for keto is to cut for a season, work out and enjoy life the rest of the year.
>>
>>12472599

You don't seem to understand the keto diet
>>
>>12472787
More like bandwagoners dont understand the keto diet. "Hurr durr what are keto options at mcdonald"
>>
>>12472823
Maybe a keto expert should explain it to them between his heart attacks
>>
>>12472568
Eating all that meat will make sure that you will experience kidney stones more than once. It's just like giving birth, so not so bad at all.
>>
>>12472670
Cool man just believe whatever they say to sell corn subsidies.
>>
You feel better short term because meat is a stimulant. Long term you will face kidney problems at least.
>>
>pretending any of you have actually reaches ketosis
Cringe
>>
>>12473012
>>12472971
It's not a lot of meat.
It's mostly greens and oils, with some eggs and fish.
>>
>>12472670
Soy is right out.
>>
>>12473021
You sound like you might know what you are talking about.
Are there long term dangers?
>>
>>12472971
>>12473012
I used to get kidney stones on a standard American diet. Been on a ketogenic diet for four years, and I have not had any since. You're confusing a keto diet with a fat retard soda-guzzler's diet.
>>
>>12472568
>/fit/
People that hate on keto are retards
But you should try OMAD keto or fasting if you need to lose a lot of weight
>>
>>12473021
I haven't eaten in four days and my piss strips are dark red
I've probably been in ketosis since day 2
Ketosis isn't hard moron
>>
>>12473117
I'm just rrying lose the last 10 at this point.
It seems like it could work as a maintenance diet, though.
>>
>>12473126
>thinking starvation is ketosis
Cringe
>>
>>12473142
>t. has no idea what ketosis is
>>
>>12472607
the problem is people are mixing it up with Atkins. As long as you're eating veggies and maybe some fruits you're fine. Humans are omnivores, we're meant to eat a variety
>>
>>12473149
>keeps talking despite being retarded
Cringe
>>
>>12472568
There are people who find keto their new way and only way forward. It solves many of the common health issues around obesity and such.

I would increas my knowldege, especially about the subjects that are specific... Go on YouTube and check out dr. Berg - he will give you some answers
>>
>>12473075
You sound like you‘re a brainlet. Nobody can tell what the long term effects are. Not autists here, not physicians. Nutritional science is still in a rudimentary state and has no predictive power. To know with any degree of certainty you‘d have to find large rigorous controlled studies spanning decades concerned solely with keto. Even if someone is bothering with those right now, it will be years before any conclusive data comes out as keto only became „mainstream“ a few years ago. The only thing we‘re more or less sure about is that if you‘re not careful with your protein intake, you‘ll screw up your kidneys royally quite fast.

So the question you have to ask yourself is if you want to risk potentially damaging your health to find out. What‘s not clear is what benefits exactly are you gaining. Virtually all effects of keto like quicker satiation response, feelings of lightness and „clarity of mind“ come from eleminating junk from your diet and not some mystical magical properties of ketosis. You can feel just as well staying on less rigorous low-carb as long as you don‘t eat shit and sugar. Hell, you could feel even better on normal balanced diet without junk and with lots of physical activity. Keto is great for quick weight loss without the tortue of cravings, but really not much else. Still the choice is yours.
>>
>>12473281
>protein and kidneys
Can you elaborate?
Is low protein dangerous?
I think I may try a mid point of a sort of Atkins approach, because I'm fairly certain that I developed a protein deficiency on keto.
When my kidneys hurt, though, celery (potassium) seemed to do the trick just fine.
>>
>>12472568
>The thing is: I feel so much better: mentally clearer, more energetic, etc, on a ketogenic diet than when I have slowly re-added some carbs and sugars.
What kind of carbs? There's a big difference between eating fruit and whole grains compared to soda.
>>
>>12473021
I use to piss dark purple all day everyday
Ketone strips is the only way to know for sure
>>
>>12473316
I have added fruit, pumpernickel, and have had a few cookies here and there. I had a hamburger bun yesterday.
I'm thinking that I may avoid baked goods in general.
>>
>>12473339
Been having some corn chips too.
>>
>>12472568
Don't let anybody, not even a doctor, tell you the long term effects of keto because there aren't enough studies. You're not going to get a good answer from anyone but you can at least say
>If keto keeps me thin then it is a good thing
>It can help control blood sugar in diabetics
>The effects on cholesterol are very controversial
>>
>>12473304
>celery
avocado and spinach are much better ketard potassium sources
>>
>>12473358
Oh, and pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are the boss seed.
>>
>>12473304
Overly high protein is dangerous. Protein metabolism produces large amounts of waste and kidneys are your waste management system. If your urine is constantly cloudy eat less protein.
>>
>>12473358
Yeah, I ate all those things, but celery seemed to work faster.
>>
File: for every animal.jpg (90 KB, 452x500)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
ITT: vegans shitting on keto
>>
>>12473388
Oh.
I'm not worried about high protein, as I was eating about 30 grams of protein daily on a ketogenic diet.
>>
>>12473304
>kidneys
Apple cider vinegar
Cucumbers/pickle juice
Spinach
>>
>>12472568

Doctors use Ketosis as long term treatment for a variety of seizures. Those patients don't go off keto, they're in it for life. You should ask an actual doctor, but all my research has shown it to be completely safe when performed properly.
>>
>>12473403
Nobody is shitting on keto ITT, you preventively outraged redditor.
>>12473407
Even if you don‘t exercise at all you should eat 1g/kg of lean body mass to maintain muscle.
>>
>>12473416
Thanks, yes, doing all of this.
>>
>>12473403
What I find funny about that is ketards eat less meat than omnis. Like they can't stand not having the best, most special diet.
>>
>>12473420
>all my research
>>
>>12473427
No. That's for when you're lifting without roids. For maintenance 0.3-0.6g/kg (woman/man) is totally adequate.
>>
>>12473427
Like I said, I'm pretty sure I developed a protein deficiency, as my nail beds startes curving inward.
I'm womdering if Atkins is maybe better long term, for protein reasons?
>>
>>12473450
Why are you so hellbent on following some named diet? Just watch your macros, eat enough essential nutrients and avoid junk.
>>
>>12473450
So eat more protein.
>>
>>12472571
Because asking a dietician won't result into a huge thread full of raging people.
>>
>>12473538
Yeah, I get that, but I'm into the experience of ketones, so I'm approaching from that chemical angle.
>>
File: 1404545868723.jpg (31 KB, 344x323)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>ctrl+f thermodynamics
>nothing
>>
>>12473590
From the chemical angle, increase the amount of protein in your diet until you either improve your symptoms or reach your threshold of ketosis. It's not that hard. Did you say above you only eat 30g of protein. That's fucking low. Go up to 50g. Unless you're a 90lb woman. Then 30g is ok.
>>
>>12473538
>Why are you so hellbent on following some named diet?
thats how americans are
>>
>>12473021
You don't even need the strips to know you're in ketosis. The effects of the transition from glucose to ketone burning is incredibly noticeable.
>>
>>12473680
Yep, you feel like you have the flu and your hospital bills start piling up. That's how you know it's a healthy and sustainable diet.
>>
>>12473590
>I'm approaching from that chemical angle
Are you a doctor or a nutritional scientist? Because even they still only have a very vague understanding of the intricacies of metabolism and precise large scale consequences of radical dietary states like ketosis.

You‘re not approaching it „from a chemical angle“, you‘re approching it from a „dumbfuck who needs trendy labels to attach himself to“ angle.
>>
>>12473733
Those feelings go away after a few hours at most for me. Your body runs out of glycogen and struggles to get by as it transitions to ketones.
>>
>>12472571
Because they will tell you to stop Keto
>>
>>12473339
>>12473346
I'm not keto, just low carb but you should definitely stop eating chips and baked goods in general.

I know it sucks but you have to.
>>
>>12473427
>preventively
Oof. You meant preemptively.

Think twice before calling people out.
>>
Longterm keto makes you a retard zombie ghoul just like veganism does. The brain in particular needs carbohydrates to run well.
>>
>>12475060
It's a good thing I've always been stupid. Nobody can tell I am a keto.
>>
>>12473346
Go get parmesan crisps. I would stab someone to death if I didn't have something crunchy to eat like toasty bread. Parmesan crisps fill that niche well.
>>
>>12472933
bas-ed
>>
>>12473432
>literally eating steak and butter for every meal
k
>>
>>12473605
if anyone itt believed in thermodynamics they would be vegan
>>
>>12472568
No idea, but about the thyroid. My sister used to be a fat fuck but got some magical thyroid condition that made her a 10/10 so maybe it's a good thing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.