[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 340857630945769.jpg (15 KB, 488x488)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
How the heck do you cook burgers on a Cast iron pan?
Everywhere on the internet says "pan must be piping hot" yet when I do that my burgers turn out as crunchy as a biscotti from the outside and dry from the inside.
What the heck am I doing wrong?
>>
>>12184395
ripping hot at first to get a sear, Then lower the heat to cook through to your desired level of doneness. It's no different from a steak or a chop. You have it hot at first, then you lower the heat.

you may also be using the wrong fat content meat. You want 20-25%.
>>
>>12184401
I'm using the right fat content, but I think my mistake was keeping the pan blazing hot throughout the cooking process.
>>
>>12184395
cooking them way too long
you cook them for only a minute or so per side and then let them rest for a few minutes off the heat

I bet you do other stupid shit too though like mix salt and seasonings into the meat and mix it until it's pure mush
>>
>>12184395
Thank you for not cursing where so many others would.
>>
>>12184395
What's wrong with crunchy burgers?
>>
>>12184781
butthole
>>
>>12184567
>I bet you do other stupid shit too though like mix salt and seasonings into the meat and mix it until it's pure mush
I don't. I form my burgers into a patty with minimal handling. I season the outside with salt and pepper before I plop them on my pan
>>
>>12185237
Have you ever had one?
the texture is terrible
>>
Does anyone know how to identify something as cast iron? I found a Martha Stewart brand wok and I want to know if this heavy thing is cast iron or just some gay metals
>>
>>12186328
They quickly rust when you strip them out of their seasoning.
>>
>>12184395
I do them on the barbecue with a cast iron pan on one side - smash and sear one side, season, flip over to the flames to finish, allow 60s to finish cooking to a medium-well.
>>
>>12184395
Preheat is just to build even thermal mass in cast iron. It heats slowly and unevenly, but retains heat very well. Super hot pan and short cooking time makes very rare burgers. Medium high, medium cooking time is med rare, medium heat-medium length medium burgers, etc. You just need to lower the heat down to medium high. Then flip sooner. If you're doing the smashing thing, remember to only do this right when you put them on the hot skillet. It helps to increase the surface area of the ground meat to the pan, giving a better sear, but if you wait you end up squishing the water and fat out of the burgers as it renders. Medium high heat pan, cooking oil will probably be slightly shimmery, almost to smoking, place burgs, flatten (if you want), peek under one of them to observe sear. When it looks good, flip and repeat. Gently touch them to guess doneness by firmness. Usually, it'll take about the same amount of time as side 1. Too many variables at play to tell you how long because burner heat, thickness, fat percentage. Best to undercook, and turn the heat off and let them continue cooking from residual heat. You can also lid the skillet during resting to trap some steam heat if the centers are too rare for you. You can also hear when the searing is almost done. They sizzle, then get quieter. Then they get sizzly again when internal fat renders out. flip or remove before second sizzle. This is the juiciness leaving. Practice more.
>>
>>12184567
>I bet you do other stupid shit too though like mix salt and seasonings into the meat and mix it until it's pure mush
red pill me on burger prep
>>
>>12187566
Not that guy, but I roll the ground beef into spheres, then roll them around in a tray of salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder immediately before I smoosh them onto the hot pan (so the salt doesn't suck the water out). Whatever sticks to them in the 10 second roll around seems about right. Works for me!

If you over knead the ground beef it can get weird and dense. If you just throw it right on the heat, it has a weird fall-apart tube granules from the meat grinder die. Some people like to mix shit into the beef. I don't. Seems like adulterants when you're eating it. Grinding bacon into lean beef would probably be cool. I'm really bored tonight.
>>
>>12187337
Some really good tips here. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>12187566
there's 2 main ways to cook a burger on a Cast iron. Either you do >>12184567 for thick burgers, patties lightly preformed and placed on the skillet.
Or you do the thin patty method where you drop a golf-ball sized lump of ground beef onto the skillet, press it down with a flat spatula, and season with salt and pepper. Leave it there until the first side browns, flip. The hipster term is a "smashburger", if you need to look it up.
>>
>Have really big buns
>Try to make the patty a bit bigger than the bun, so it fits when it shrinks
>Put a hole in it, volcano or whatever you might call it
>It still shrinks more, leaving it smaller than the patty

Nothing's more annoying
>>
>>12187327
>Smash the....

Found the millennial hipster.
>>
It's really hard to cook thick burgers on a cast iron pan. raw in the inside and crunchy on the outside
>>
>>12187813
How on earth did people become so retarded that they put a ball of ground meat in a hot pan and then squash the shit out of it.
Ever heard of forming a patty BEFORE putting it in the pan?
Disturbing the meat like that, by pressing down on it ensures that most of the moisture in the meat is lost as steam.

However, resting any meat you cook, under aluminium foil,after this is cooked, means the moisture loss is minimised.
>>
>>12188046
>He doesn't understand basic cooking principles or temperature control while cooking.
>>
>>12188050
you only squish it once at the very beginning, you don't continuously press on it. Also, this method is primarily for thinner patties, something like a double cheeseburger, meanwhile the traditional method would yield 1 bigger patty.
>>
How much oil should I put in the pan?
>>
Is it today you realized cast iron is a meme?
>>
>>12188210
>look mom I said meme again, meme meme meme haha
>>
>>12188184
You don't need very much. Just enough for surface coverage on the bottom and a little ways up the sides as you roll it around. Maybe a teaspoon for an 8" skillet. A bit more (maybe 1.5 tsp) for a larger diameter. It won't hurt anything to use a little more cooking oil, but some fat is going to render out of the ground beef as it cooks, which helps. Just be sure the surface isn't dry. The first side might stick a bit if it's dry.
>>
>>12188210
Rent free, huh?
>>
>>12188290
Oh, and it's better to heat up the pan first, then add the cooking oil. Then just stand there and watch waiting for the oil to look shimmery or just start to give off a wisp of smoke. If you preheat with the pan already oiled, you might not be paying attention and it over heats the oil and it can start to smoke. That oil is tainted. Let it cool off and toss it because it'll taste burnt. Very easy to do with lower smoke point oils, but still generally good practice to oil after preheating even with a higher smoke point fat. Even with the thermal mass of a cast iron pan, the food you put in it will lower the surface temperature below smoke point of the fat just on the cusp of it. Are you OP? You really don't need to have the heat as high as possible for burgers.
>>
>>12184395
Take it off the heat as soon as they are seared on each side. A cast iron will stay hot enough to finish cooking on residual heat.
>>
>>12184395
Pan on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, it will be ready when you can drip water on it and it sizzles then evaporates away. 3 and half minutes on each side and it's cooked.

>>12187847
Use 5-6 ounces of beef and really flatten the patty to have a 1.5 inch bigger radius than the bun into a "pan" or "dish" shape (looks nothing like a volcano so I'm not calling it that).
>>
>>12188050
It's because it forms a smooth crust and a thin, juicy patty. Don't be a dweeb because you don't understand the why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwfuURAVBwY
>>
>>12188925
was this video supposed to defend your point.
>>
>>12188988
Are you really that retarded?
>>
>>12188050
I always press the patties down in the pan and i never ever have dry burgers. I don't know if you've ever handled ground beef but its not wet. It doesn't start getting juicy until its started to cook for a bit. So pressing it down as soon as you put it in the pan is fine. Cook more burgers you chef pleb
>>
>>12188184
About two cups
>>
>>12188290
I pour a bit of oil in the pan then lightly rub it off with a paper towl. Leaves an oiled pan that wont stick and no chance of oily food. I do it cold but i flick water on it as its heating to see when its hot enough.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.