[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 3238908400_89338fc755_o.jpg (720 KB, 694x1024)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
What are the things that you miss from Livejournal era?
>>
>>10304273
Def not Funky-chin. Dunno how her and other unfortunate looking gals (lookin @ you girlytoot) get so popular
>>
>>10304273
I miss threaded comments and all the fucks and parody communities like lolita_fucks and fandom_wank.
>>
I miss having threads where you could just talk about the fashion without it being bombarded with vendettas, random aggressive posts, and just all around negativity. Sure, you had getoffegl, but that was relatively contained to that specific community, and it was still fairly lighthearted. Also miss people seeing joy in the fashion. It's hard to explain, but it still seemed to have magic to a lot of girls; even the daily lolitas, people just seemed genuinely happier about the fashion. Releases were met with tons of, "I love this, I'm so excited to order this, etc etc," and the people that hated it or thought it looked cheap typically kept their mouths shut, because they didn't want to ruin it for the others.

Also miss daily_lolita, holy shit. People that actually wore lolita frequently, and casual coords that weren't met with "this isn't lolita."

>yes, I know /cgl/ existed then, and that there was still tons of drama, but it was easier to ignore it if you really wanted to
>let me have my rose tinted glasses
>>
Can we make this a lj archieving thread? With the way things currently go it would be a miracle if it's still alive by the end of next year.
And the wayback machine removed several years of lj archival including deleted comms that are now totally vanished. I already wrote them several mails but they pretended they didn't know what I was talking about and then ignored them.
>>
>>10304305
oh my lord I'd forgotten about her! I wonder where she is today?

>>10304313
I feel ya. Those were the good old days IMO (old fag), I feel now we are just trying to one up each other, even though it probably was happening back then too. I had so much fun on LJ with Lolita and the egl_comm. This post has made me nostalgically sad
>>
I miss the way people were, there was genuine interacts that I haven't had in this community in several years. Efame was different.
>sry esl
>>
>>10304318
with tinypic gone, is there anything left worth archiving?
>>
In general: I miss having a central and organized hub to talk about lolita with others online.

Yeah, there were MySpace groups and other discussion sites, but EGL was /the/ place to go, and it was easier to find other communities and search for content on lj compared to fb.

It was definitely easier to point to newbies where to find information and there was more of a wealth of it, it seems. egl was the main hub, and then there was lolitafashion . org , hello lace, and a handful of useful blogs like f yeah lolita. Like a lot of lolitas from the lj era, I really miss reading blogs.

I feel like one of the biggest improvements of today is lacemarket, but only because it was based off of egl_comm_sales and made to fit today's mobile internet usage.
>>
>>10304305
lmao, same tbqh. I did kind of miss seeing the old Portland comm though.

>>10304374
Maybe keep some important posts like the origin of ILD, and whatever else you can find to store on imgur.
>>
>>10304273
That it was just women.
>>
>>10304395
same
>>
>>10304305
>Dunno how her and other unfortunate looking gals

Because back in 2007-2011 people weren’t as obsessed with looks in the fashion yet. People shooped their photos but nobody was giving themselves completely new faces. Now with facetune and plastic surgery everyone is more conscious about how their face looks in their selfies. Faunkegin was popular because she had a large brand wardrobe and made good coordinates.
>>
I miss that handmade and indie were common and respected. The amount of brandwhoring and brand elitism in the post-lj era has gotten huge
>>
>>10304412
I think instagram and perfectionism is destroying this fashion, and is also so harmful to the mental state of the people wearing it. I'm nostalgic for a time when nitpicking wasn't so common.
>>
>>10304430
Back in the day people were only harsh on looks if you were overweight or fell outside the realm of “average” on the looks scale.

Now you need to not just be thin, but be curvy, have a small waist, have a chest and ass, have big lips, a small nose, big eyes, clear skin, and pure white teeth.
>>
>>10304441
I feel like back in the good old days you could have .5cm of regrowth on your bleach blond hair and not get posted to the ita thread over it, in an otherwise cute coordinate.
>>
>>10304412
People were brutal about looks here during that period! I was scared to get into lolita for fear of someone stealthing a pic and posting it here since i had an ED at the time but was still in the bottom of "healthy" BMI range (aka a morbidly obese landwhale due to not being 90 lbs). Fuck old cgl
>>
>>10304273

Cosplay was a hobby, not a pathway to money for failed models and wannabe actresses. Paid photo shoots weren't a thing, and cosplay guests and cosfamous wasn't a thing
>>
>>10304374 #
Are you serious? If yes fight me right now. YES literal years of discussion, resources, community history and information all around our fashion.
>>
Gyaru secrets was the best thing ever
>>
>>10304444
Really early cgl was hard, lots of minors were posted and made fun of but there was always some kind of loose justification for it. cgl was at its worst during the Dakota/pixiteryi years 2011-2013. the nitpicks and vendettas of looks and weight were through the roof then.
>>
>>10304444
I feel like we were slightly better pre 2012, got worse, then had the big rule change about singling people out and went the other way towards calling size 14 just "chubby" instead of "fat"
>>
I feel like coords were simpler than today. Sure, people still do those, but it still feels like taking too much into it. Back then you would wear some main piece with top if needed, some leg wear, some hair accessory, bag - and here you go. It really felt more chill. Also I agree with >>10304313 lolitas used to be more enthusiastic about fashion. I guess party because community wasn’t so spoiled with brand releases and rereleases, so every piece was treasured and irreplaceable.
>>
I miss it all. I’d start posting there again if there was any hope of bringing it back...
>>
>>10304659
I think you would have to find a way to make a smaller community on a new platform. Nothing really comes to mind, though.
>>
>>10304273
I miss the secrets and valentines boards. They were a lot of fun, without so much of the cruelty of anonymity that cgl can have.
>>
daily lolita was a way better way to post coords than facebook because people could post multiple in one post, and often detailed their day. It was more intimate in general. There was no bumping system so mediocre or casual coords wouldn't get pushed to the wayside in favour of OTT shit.
>>
>>10304581
Oh god, I still can't get over the blurry Photobucket pictures and watermarks. They're so terrible. Makes going through all the EGL related content on Livejournal even more depressing when all the pictures are either censored or flat out gone (Tinypic, etc).
>>
>>10304717
Agreed on all these points. Cof is so impersonal, and I dislike the rule about short captions (fb has a read-more function automatically). I understand the collage rule due to how fb posts work, but with the low res image hosting it ruins some nice shots.
>>
>>10304667
Does nobody use dreamwidth?
>>
I miss daily lolita the most of all the livejournal comms. I remember posting to DL back in 2009 wearing little to no makeup and having a boring natural hairstyle, using unedited spontaneously taken photos, yet I was always being praised for my outfits. In 2019 the same pictures would land me in the ita thread for sure. I didn't have to think about perfect posing, the photo composition or having to liquify every single pore on my face and appliying 5 filters for my pictures to be considered good.

Sure a lot of outfits back then were really bad, but back then daily lolita really meant daily lolita.
>>
I really liked the discussion formats of LJ and getoff was a more reasoned comm for sure, but cgl back then was definitely much worse.

Still, the overall sentiment in terms of what was 'acceptable' or 'perfect' or a 'good coord' was also much more lenient.

>>10304734
DW is only really thriving for RP, since all the LJRPers moved there. I don't know a single person that uses it as an actual personal journaling system or even for writing/general fandom anymore.
>>
>>10304441

Nah that era had its own beauty standards. The threshold for how overweight you need to be before you get made fun of has gone up. People are more concerned with girls being too skinny now.

And back then, you'd get made fun of for basically not being "white" enough. If you had too many ethnic/non-white features, you weren't considered pretty. You could have no lips, limp lifeless hair, and non-existent brows, and that was considered good to go. And god help you if you had any visible upper lip hair. I think it's a lot better now with the natural hair movement from the mainstream but it depends on the person.
>>
I've been missing loli_secrets until I joined the Lolita Amino.
There's not as much content but I prefer it over facebook groups (though I do like closet of frill's daily Lolita coords). It also has sub chat groups.

But most of all I simply miss the time back then.
>>
>>10304700
I think the drama was better then too. Heck even the drama was better a few years ago when sketchy people could ban evade longer.
>>
>>10305351
i think the best part of old drama was the scam stuff. this was real as fuck shit happening with real $$ or brand and there are still so many at large. i remember shit like maikodolly and all those kinds of things happened so often.
>>
>>10305150
You could be Asian as well, but god help you if your brows weren't tweezed into oblivion. Such were the beauty standards of the time.
>>
>>10305384
Why would you want this to still be a thing though? Just because you enjoy watching drama from the sidelines, you're okay with letting other lolitas get scammed?
>>
I’m torn in what about brand accessibility with all the MTO glory, shopping services, second hand market and stuff. It’s actually cool that buying a wishlist item is not a big hustle anymore, but I feel like people don’t treasure their things as much.
>>
>>10304395
same,we have so many trannies and "brolitas" now
>>
>>10305627
Agreed. Not even in a bigoted way. It was just nice when you could have a space and time and activity just for women/girls who have shared experience and can relate. Trans women will never know what it was like to be raised and socailized as a girl and what lolita can mean to some women who were. Same with brolitas. It's fine for them to wear the fashion but it's taken that bit of it away. The trans people in my comm in particular are superficial and attention whorey and encourage the harassment from strangers and stereotype of being vapid and catty...maybe if my comm had fewer trans people that feel the need to be an offensive stereotypical caricature of a real woman and would just be themselves I'd feel less disappointed about it.
>>
>>10305445
Of course no one wants it to keep happening. But be real, it's like true crime documentaries
>>
>>10305632
Unpopular opinion but I'd rather have a comm full of transwomen than fakebois/nb/genderspeshuls. I'm sick of Sarah-Jane with her winged eyeliner telling me to call her a dude.
>>
>>10305384
Maikodolly and all the Rosaire drama, it wasn't fun for those who were scammed. It was interesting to watch it go down though, deffo popcorn time.
>>
>>10304389
>I did kind of miss seeing the old Portland comm though
Why? For the drama?
>>
>>10305150
>People are more concerned with girls being too skinny now.
Bitch where?
Not here that's for damn sure
>>
>>10305718
Seconded, a non creepy transwoman is fine but fuck Aidan who is a bio woman obsessed with "their" pronouns just because they like vidya and are not like other girls. Uwu so queer with your bio male FWBs
>>
>>10305741

Nonbinary genderspecials and transtrenders kind of fall into the same category as annoying trans women to me. They just have their own annoying things they do.

And I'm sure there are some decent trans women. The ones in my comm are just the super obnoxious ones who constantly act vapid and superficial and frequently post about how trans they are online and make unsettling comments at meets at times or force themselves onto people or into conversations in certain ways that is uncomfortable.

I wish I could be around more trans people who are just chill and trying to pass and live their life normally otherwise rather than people who turn one aspect of their body or life into their entire personality and identity. People who can only focus on one aspect of their existence come off as mentally weak and undesirable to be around to me.
>>
File: img20081020_p.jpg (34 KB, 350x467)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I miss the Flasco blog. RIP.
>>
>>10305757
I archieved all the 7000+ images of their last blog, but the old one is hard to grab.
>>
>>10305766
You can use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-as-mhtml/ahgakckdonjmnpnegjcamhagackmjpei?hl=en to save whole pages including images to archive stuff. I went through and saved all the Atelier Pierrot blog so that when yaplog dies I will still have everything.
>>
>>10305766
...do you perchance have them in a dropbox somwhere?
>>
i'm not sure if she was on LJ but this was during the LJ era. I think she had a blogspot, but I miss Zeruda. Her coords were always so creative and she used a lot of bodyline and offbrand but made it look so good.
>>
>>10306050
Back in the day (like 10+ years ago probably) there was a lolita with the most awesome creative coords and a huge wardrobe. I absolutely loved her looks and I had so many of them saved. She had a lot of wigs (but mostly blond) and she lived in one of the Nordic/Scandinavian countries iirc.

I wonder if it was Zeruda? I wish her blogspot worked for me so I could find out for sure. The pic you posted definitely looks like my mystery girl's style.
>>
>>10306068
sounds like it might be her! I can't find her blog or any indication of her online presence anymore but her pictures still float around pinterest every now and then.

im not sure if anyone remembers the site myasianfashion dot com but that's where I had seen a lot of her posts before.
>>
>>10305730
lmao, nah, but I do remember the drama!

From my then babby lolita eyes, I thought they looked like such good friends so it was pretty comforting/inspirational (to start my own comm) as a lone lolita, and everyone there seemed to be wearing brand which was kind of hard to do way back.
>>
>>10306050
>>10306102
Yes! This was definitely one of the girls that inspired me to try out classic at a time where I only wore baby's first gothic... I loved how high quality she made offbrand look.
>>
I miss a lot of the really thoughtful and intelligent discussions on egl proper. One username comes to mind for me: untouched_sugar was a really active member on egl as well as getoffegl and they just seemed...really cool and rational? There’s also definitely a few stand out Lolitas who posted their coords, one in particular was the one who managed to make a kimono top actually work really well and tastefully in a Lolita coord. I think she was a European Lolita and had a black hime cut. That particular coord was very simple but always one of my favorites to this day.
>>
>>10305780
This is only for one page per click, right? Did you went through the whole blog and saved every post?

>>10305834
Not yet, I'm still downloading blogs. But I will share them all once yaplog shut down. It's currently at 26GB and 102.770 images lmao.
>>
>>10309802
Do you mean opale.rose by chance?
>>
>>10309982
Yeah,she commited suicide (i heard she jumped from a bridge according to one of her friend) a few years back. A horrible,horrible thing. She was so bright.
>>
>>10310032
Damn sucks, she was cute too
>>
>>10310032
Fuuuuck... I always heard that she had died but I didn't know how... Fuuuuck man
>>
>>10310032
Ah, that makes sense. So sad to hear she took her own life. I remember her parents didn't want anyone to know and told one of her (lolita) friends to stop snooping.
>>
>>10309982
???
Her lj user name was kagome_no_yume
>>
>>10310139
thats her ig
>>
>>10306102
Her blog isn't online anymore... She's still on Instagram as zerudaa but it's only daily lifestyle posts as she stopped actively wearing lolita iirc
>>
>>10310032

I always suspected that. Her Tumblr was lovely but once in a while she'd make incredibly sad posts. I feel bad for her, I really hope somewhere out there in another life she's finally able to wear her frills in peace without bullies or worries.
>>
>>10310078
Yeah,they did,i feel a bit bad to say it right here,it feels like i did something wrong.
As someone who tried to take their own life it just really hits hard somehow.
Gonna sound like a sappy faggot but please don't commit sudoku,gulls. Even if it seems like the only way out i swear it isn't and it can get better. More people care about you than you think even if it seems like no one does.
At least think of all the releases you'll miss and shit,come on
>>
I miss the more lifestyle/daily aspect of lolita or at least how it used to be more present than it is nowadays especially ever since Instagram perfectionism became a thing. Everything is so perfected,polished,...it feels so much less genuine.
Most of all i miss having only one big place where everything was instead of several little groups on one boring platform that you can't even customize.
Also secrets that were actually funny/witty or confessions
>>
>>10310303
I'm glad you're still here
>>
>>10310307
Thanks anon,it warmed my heart to read.
I am in a better place now
And you will be as well,someday,somehow
>>
>>10310305

I miss daily and lifestyle lolita content as well. I miss having lolita bloggers who did dreess unboxings and fun cute skits and general content even if it was repetitive to have makeup tutorials and beginner advice vids...Tyler's LWLN as scripted as it is it kind of the closest to older lolita content that I miss...not on par with Deerstalker (or even older pixielocks before she went all tacky-kei and quit lolita because of self-created LACE drama).

Something about the state of lolita but often even the world in general these days is almost less magical than it used to be...Maybe it's cause I'm an adult now and as a tween/teen lolita and Japan seemed to crazy and fun and new and now I'm used to those things and have been there and been wearing the fashion for a while.
>>
>>10310364
>pixielocks
Even though she wasn't the best and created a lot of drama I weirdly feel nostalgic for her lolita content because we're a similar age and I got into the fashion around the time she was into it. It was nice seeing someone who was my age make funny skits and talk about the fashion even if those videos were a poor man's deerstalker at it's core. They were fun.

I know people complain about unboxings and other repetitive stuff but I almost miss everyone sharing their excitement about the same release or making similar makeup/diy tutorials because it felt more like a community of people wearing the clothes and doing the 'lifestyle' thing.

Now all we really have is Tyler and Lor doing dull commentary and trying to give people 'advice'.
>>
File: DSCN7437-600.jpg (88 KB, 450x600)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
I miss janitors. I still have her photos in my inspo folder. I wonder if her earlier looks would be labelled ita now, because she wore mostly offbrand stuff that wasn't exactly matchy-matchy.
>>
>>10310404
yeah probs ita,but that's still very comfy looking and hey,it works color wise besides the heinous crime that is leopard printed anything
>>
>>10310373
Ehh let's be glad for tyler and lor. One day we won't have them either.
>>
>>10310602
>lor
>permaita uwu lovly
Tyler is the only notable contributor but she's getting too soft with her sucking up to troons and all.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.