[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (177 KB, 1280x720)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Doesn't it seem weird that lately a lot of conventions are getting bought out and having the quality go to shit? Particularly in the south but other parts of the US as well. It's really disheartening to see. What are some cons that you still really enjoy? Preferably ones that are actually fun with activities to do rather than just good locations to cosplay at.
>>
No it doesn't seem weird.
>>
>>10223611
Fuck I miss Akon being at the Anatole.
>>
I still really enjoy Naka kon
>>
>>10223611
Not weird. Cons used to be run by people who were really passionate about the events. Then they became profitable, and people who didn't give a shit about anything cons were about took notice and wanted a slice of the pie so they started buying out successful cons, slashing costs and driving up prices for maximum profits. You can thank the ~~free market~~
>>
>>10223895
I just wish people buying them out had actual business sense? Maybe doing research about what attendees actually want instead of just assuming that cons will be profitable regardless of what shitty guests, programming or location it would have. It seems like very few cons would have so much name recognition that people would attend no matter what. If anything the only reason people go to shitty cons is because there isn't all that much in their area.
>>
>>10224179
They have business sense
What you're seeing is their business sense. They're getting money out of it and attracting people to it. It's just not as fun to you because profitable cons and good business sense means corporatized conventions with mass appeal
>>
>>10224180
If they had mass appeal then they wouldn't be shit cons, would they? People are not interested in what they are doing to these cons, and usually they get super bad PR when they make these awful decisions just for saving money.
>>
>>10223611
Anime USA for the fact that its a small con smushed between the craziness of Katsu and Otakon. You can actually breath an chill out there instead of being cramped up and crowded on.
>>
>>10224220
>Shit cons
You're saying this because it appeals to normies and not you
>>
>>10223846
What’s best about it, give some highlights please?im always reluctant to go to cons like this because they announce guests so late and just a few at a time.
>>
Anime Expo once they realize and FINALLY fix their overcrowding and line problems
>>
>>10224241
It's not too big, it's not too small, and some of the panels are really great like the wrestling panel that happens every year is fucking amazing
I don't really care about guests, but it has lots of cool things for me, like this year we found an F-Zero AX machine and played the fuck out of it
>>
>>10224228
Who exactly did A-kon and Tokyo in Tulsa appeal to?
>>
>>10224244
so basically never
>>
>>10223895
>cons
>profitable

if you mean in the sense that they pay their bills, generally yes.

if you mean everyone in anime cons is rolling in dough, you're just projecting...
>>
>>10224397
I'm not saying they're rolling in dough, just that they appear profitable enough to attract investors who don't give a shit about cons but want to make money
>>
>>10224223
AUSA frequently shows up on groupon for a nice, cheap time if you're local.
>>
>>10224440

yeah, but not couching it in a frame of reference easily leads to such accusations, and leaves people with some stupid scrooge mcduck image of a convention runner
>>
>>10224361
Where did o mention either of those
>>
MAGfest
CAX
PAX
>>
I like ANYC a lot
>>
>>10224667
The thread image. Hell, that's what this is all about. Shit decisions meaning location, lack of guests, poor planning, etc. Not 'popular normie shit that I don't happen to be into."
>>
>>10224364
Yes.
>>
>>10224244
They take pride in the fact that they have cramped 300,000 people together in one line, in their eyes it's a success.
>>
>>10224801
MAGfest really is starting to stand for "Music, Anime, Games", sadly.
>>
>>10227231
That's because Katsucon cosplayers wanted easy access to that Gazebo without the crowds that Katsu brings. Now, the crowds are just as bad.
>>
>>10227580
I will never understand the appeal of Gazebo pictures for most franchises.
>>
>>10227651
I would guess because it's easy enough to condense a group of people into. Either small or semi large.
>>
>>10224179
They don't give a fuck about you and your outdated taste. New customers will keep coming.
>>
>>10224244
Even without that, it's just too damn big for its own good. AX really is, as the name implies, an "expo" now and not really a "convention" anymore, an event that's really more about going to see what the industry has to show rather than one for cosplaying, socializing with other nerds, etc. The venue and weather suck for cosplaying too, and it's become outrageously expensive to attend if you want to stay in a hotel and don't want to pack a room to the gills.
>>
>>10224244
AX in a larger space would honestly make it really fun again. the hallways at the convention center are just too narrow

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.