[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 98 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: scrooge.jpg (279 KB, 853x480)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>travel is 300+
>hotel ranges from 150-300+
>tickets are 100 maybe

How do you afford to go to more than 1 con outside of being rich?

Feels like im working 6 days a week just to be able to go to them
>>
>>10223462
I go to cons within driving distance (~6 hrs) and carpool, so travel cost + parking is usually under $100. The hotel gets split 3 or 4 ways so that's $60 - $300 depending on the number of nights and the cost of the hotel. I host a panel or two if the con offers a discount, or I register early for the best price, so the tickets are $0 - $70ish. I spend a lot more on cosplay materials than I do on going to cons. I'm not rich and I work a normal Monday to Friday, 9-5 kind of job with an associates degree.
>>
>>10223462
I don't go to cons that are that expensive. I've done three this year so far, stayed with friends or family (or home for my local con) all three times, travel ranged 20-180, tickets 15-60, spent at most 150 at the con (food included). One of these was an international con.
>>
Become an artist or dealer, or become friends with one who needs a table helper and is willing to give you an extra free ticket and bed in a hotel room.
>>
File: 1563359686393.jpg (74 KB, 774x960)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>How does one afford to go to multiple cons?
>>
Get a job that isn't a dead-end retail job. Learn how to manage the money you do have coming in. I don't know what to tell you, OP. You're a grown adult. You don't need to be rich. You just need to have your shit together.
>>
>>10223462
I use the greyhound/megabus to get there and book tickets well in advance, so typically my travel costs are like 100 dollars or less for the round trip. Most cons I have at least one friend I can room with going to and we don't really prioritize staying in the con hotel, it's not worth the extra money for most cons, we just go where is cheapest within walking distance.
>>
I don't even make a lot of money with my 32 hour a week job but it's all about how you spend it. Also splitting costs with friends makes a big difference.
>>
I can save up 1k in less than 2 months to blow at cons and party hard. It's called having a good job and not a being dumbshit with money.
>>
>>10223462
I live on the east coast so I catch Megabus (those dollar fares are legit) or Amtrak to all the major cons. Hotels I use the hotels loyalty program to get free nights or discounts. Everything else I work overtime for.
>>
>>10223462
>travel is 300+
Don’t go to cons you have to fly to then. If you go to ones within driving distance and carpool with friends, it’ll be a lot cheaper. For my farthest con, gas and parking split between the carpool is typically $30-40

>hotel ranges from 150-300+
Get more roommates. Some hotels are more expensive than others and there are certain hotels where even if you have roommates, it’s still going to be expensive, but adding more people to the room helps. If you don’t know anyone else personally going, then check message boards. Some of those people can be great, some can freaks, so chat with them a little bit beforehand if you’re worried about that

>tickets are 100 maybe
Go to less expensive cons then or register early to get a better price. Around here I’ve seen early bird prices at $25-35. Normal tier stuff is usually $45-65. Even big cons around here have at con registration prices for full weekend badges at $70-90.

You literally just need to do a little bit of research and go to cons that are closer, register earlier, and get more con/travels buds
>>
get a grown up job and stop spending your money on dumb crap. even spending that much and adding for food, 800$ shouldn't destroy your finances for the whole year
>>
>>10223462
Staff. Some cons not only provide a ticket but some also supply hot food 3 times a day as well as lodging if you room with other staff. You can practically go to the con for free if you're ok with volunteering time
>>
>>10223593
BuT I'm A LaZy WeEbTaRd
>>
Cons are pretty much a stress test for one's financial discipline. Take $50 out of each check and put it into a high interest savings account like ally or smartypig so by the time your cons comes up you will have the funds.

Seriously, a lot of this heavily depends on where you live, but the basics are still the same. Save up and stop buying unnecessary things. Cut back on eating out all the time and start doing weekly meal preps because a $10 meal per day adds up to $200 per month which then adds up to $2400 a year. That amount of money right there can get you to almost every major con on the East Coast if you're frugal.
>>
Learn photography and book shoots. You might even come out ahead.
>>
>>10223462
i earn 100K a year: i live in the hood and dress like crap on the way to work because I work on construction sites as an engineer, I drive a small shitbox car and I live like I am earning 25K and living on food stamps.
>>
File: cc1.jpg (30 KB, 508x472)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>10223589
>and stop spending your money on dumb crap
Easy for you to say.
>>
I only go to 2 per year, both an easy drive away, that's plenty of weebtardia for me. I'd rather buy more lolita dresses and travel with my partner.
Money? Don't be poor. Get skills and get a good job.
>>
Get a STEM job.
>>
>>10223462
Building up points on travel credit cards helps a lot. And not buying stupid, highly marked up shit from resellers in vendors rooms.
>>
>>10223779
Or date a guy who has a STEM job.
>>
>>10223697
Aren't there more expensive "photographer passes" enforced now? I seem to recall them being way more than the average 3 day con price and they don't just want you doing photography for shoots within the con itself without the pass.
>>
>>10223462
>Drive
>Roommate
>$40-$70

Another big one is bring food from home in a cooler. The average travel meal is $15.00+ and home cooked should easily be <$5.00. Over 3 days that's a huge savings.
>>
>>10223783
Very few cons have that. One thing about shooting cosplay at cons for pay is that if a con has stuff you want to actually see then you have less time to shoot which means less income.
>>
>>10223798
Don’t photographers trying to make the weeb bux just schedule as much as they can at any con they can go to and only leave a little free time for things they really want to attend most at a few cons only? Photographers I know are working when at cons, not usually attending for the fun.
>>
>>10223781
Eww, fuck no.
Guys who study STEM are usually socially inept and not very good partners.
>>
Im a clever chick that knows how to cheat the system. I usually get a hotel and room stuff it with people paying an equal fixated amount that guarantees I stay for free. Because I say the hotel is more than it actually is. So these randos are paying for my hotel. I only pay for my con ticket or if its a small or easy con I ghost that shit without a problem. I sometimes get free breakfast for the hotel if not I sometimes flirt or convince some random joe to buy me dinner or food. Rinse and repeat works for me 90% of the time. I only pay for bus tickets to and from the con.
>>
>>10223830
>fixated
so clever that you couldn't even use the right word here? nice one, larper
>>
>>10223830
You are the type of people I fucking hate. Whore.
>>
I only go to Naka kon in my hometown and drive there everyday
Thank God it's a decent size convention and not a small one like other towns
But also thank God it's not a super big one either where I would want to die
>>
>>10223462

Im a lucky motherfucker that gets to go to cons for free because I either use my connections, I am a panelist, or I am guest at the con. I have connections with vendors and people doing artist alley stuff so sometimes they give me a free badge if its within their powers. Usually I get extras I give to my friends. Sometimes hotels are free for me too sometimes not. It depends. I can never seem to get free passes for AB though. Only thing I pay is food and travel costs thats about it. So if you have strong connections in this world things are usually free.
>>
>>10223825
Confirmed as someone who doesn't actually work in the stem field or interact with the men in it
>>
>>10223462
>exclusively go to small-med cons within an hour driving’s distance of my house
>tickets: $25-60
>no hotel bc i drive home
>on the rare occasions i do get a hotel, pick a shitty cheap one a mile from the con center: $75 a night, rarely for more than one night
>food and walking around money: $60-80

TOTAL: $85-210
>>
Travel is just gas
Hotel is split between friends so usually just end up paying $100 - $200, moreso on the $100 side
Can't really get around the ticket price.

Con photography ends up paying for my trip + food/alcohol.
>>
>>10223825
Guys with successful, well paying STEM jobs know how to socialize because there’s a ceiling between 5 and 6 figures that they have to negotiate and it requires both social skills and well rounded personal skills. Dumb chicks who can’t think ahead will dismiss younger entry level or still in school STEM guys who have maybe not quite mastered all these skills yet (but absolutely will once they get their education finished and career track going) and so they miss out on the amazing payoff of having this kind of excellent partner later.
>>10223997 is correct and this is why.
>>
>>10224022
I think that's a key thing here, don't go to cons you have to fly to, stay within driving distance.
>>
>>10224024
Maybe I'm just a sentimental retard, but I cannot imagine dating someone on the basis of their career and what they get paid.
>>
>>10223845
It is big enough to be smelly and loud but not big enough for first rate musical guests. Pass on Naka for me, unfortunately.

The best advice is to be choosy if you are on a budget. Fewer but better, in con choices, in your cosplays too.
My best tips are:
Early buy on tickets, for GA this saves a lot, but usually I end up getting VIP which means no wasting time in lines or wasting time scrambling for the extras like tea or show tickets, (they are usually included in VIP.)
I know the hotels in my chosen con cities well enough to game the Hotwire filters to ‘choose’ the correct hotel I want, (near but I don’t always like to stay in the con hotel), I rarely pay over $80/night for a hotel room that is usually well over $300 normally. At a couple of hotels, I have also asked for and gotten further upgrades. A suite or a great view, bigger room, restaurant voucher, free breakfast etc. they don’t care, they have empty rooms, they will let you have them if you are polite, well groomed, pleasant, have stayed before.
Since I’m VIP and not wasting time in lines, I can arrive usually a half or full day later and still not have a wait in lines which means less time off work, actually a really big savings.
Early access to everything ensures that I get to buy what I want, so I’m selective, and occasionally I buy extra popular things to resell too in my side hustle. Wonder why your special con figure is gone but for sale online later? Maybe I bought a few.
Going to the front of lines means also that I have time to calmly eat and take breaks so I always bring a cooler of things for the weekend and pack my lunch daily instead of eating as much restaurant or food truck stuff, also reducing the risk of getting my stomach upset.
Im not really a super budget con goer. I like to save a little money here and there but not feel like I need to compromise, stuff rooms, stand in long lines, etc. It might not suit everyone but it works for me.
>>
>>10223462
get a job that is t minimum wage

i personally dont see the point of going to more than 2 cons a year.
>>
I live in South California where there are 10 cons 1-2 hours away
>>
>>10224035
love doesnt pay the rent homie
>>
>>10224035
No one is suggesting that, just to not discount someone because they aren’t yet at a level they are actually likely to realistically reach. To look at overall compatibility which also includes looking ahead to unreached potential, of you both. That’s part of checking for long term compatibility, playing the ‘what will our relationship hopefully look like in 5, 10, 20, 50 years?’ game.

I’d be dumb to date someone whose life path is likely to be unsuitable to my own longterm life goals , so it’s reasonable to assume that if I limit my dating pool to people with similar life goals, we will both be happier and remain more compatible. My STEM guy was not making 6 figures when we met and he was really shy and had not become very outgoing yet. Too busy with school, then his entry level working! But he was working towards all those goals and now he is all that and more.
>>
>>10224022
>>10224033
doesnt work if you live in a shithole country(uk).

the local cons are a good way to spend 50bucks to hang out with friends. but theres no point even bothering if thats the full extent of your con experience.
>>
>>10224040
when do you ask for free shit at a hotel? upon booking online/call or when you arrive?

Also is it a lot better to book directly vs online services? cause you cut out the middleman
>>
>>10224035
I thought the same way when I was younger, but it became apparent as I got older that if I married someone at my own income level (~50k) that we would basically never be able to own a decent house or live comfortably with a savings cushion. So in addition to other factors like personality and life goals, type of career became important in choosing who to date as well. I imagine it doesn't matter much for women who already make a lot of money themselves and could buy a house etc on their own if they wanted to. But if someone like me wants to live in a non paycheck-to-paycheck marriage, being with a STEM or business man is pretty much necessary.
>>
>>10224190
Never on the phone or before checking in. On check-in. If they have better rooms just sitting and you look nice, be polite, friendly, tag the hotel with a great lobby photo on Instagram , show it... and ask about their room upgrade policy, ask what’s good in the restaurant, etc. I book via Hotwire, but some hotels have a policy to match your Hotwire price on future stays too if you book direct so it depends on that. Most of the time the hotel shuttles will take you further than they say they will if you are friendly, nice, dressed nicely and you tip. Wearing lolita has some perks like this.
>>
>>10224239
Okay, I'm not cute enough to pull this shit off, but I've gotten upgrades by slipping the front desk worker a 20 before. I don't stay in top of the line five star hotels though.
>>
>>10223462
I never go to cons that aren't within driving distance

I always carpool and generally share a hotel room with 2 - 3 other people, then buy tickets at online prereg prices well ahead of time. Staying in the con hotel is nice, but staying in one nearby is half the cost and quieter, though I pay for it in the loss of convenience

I save most of my tax refund for emergencies and dip out a couple hundred for basic con costs, then replace what's left when it's over. Otherwise, I have small chunks of money auto-deposited into the account regularly so that it's back to its former glory in time for the next con

Additionally, I rarely if ever turn down the chance for more hours at work. I dont like my job, but it's got flexible hours and a nice manager

And this is all on 9 bucks an hour, around 27 hours a week. I plan cons at least three months ahead of time and go to maybe four a year
>>
>>10224217
My boyfriend works in construction and made 140k last year. That's also an industry that gets shat on but they make bank because no one wants to do that anymore. Plus I love me a man that can literally build me a house
>>
I thought that the real answer would have been 'Because I live in a developed country that isn't America.' but I'm starting to notice more and more that I'm better off than my same-aged peers.

I support myself, my partner and our cat/dog in a private house while working part time at 25. We're 'ayy lmao smoke weed errday' stoners and eat well, etc. I don't actually know how, short of being lucky? I guess we don't drink or go out clubbing every weekend like our friends do.
>>
>>10224217
Why not work towards a higher rate of pay or career choice for yourself?

Getting to a certain age and saying "Welp, I guess I'm never going to improve. Better marry someone rich." is a little pathetic.
>>
>>10224341
Nice assumptions here. I do one of most important jobs in society (teaching) and the pay doesn't go much higher. Also I absolutely love it so I have no reason to want to change careers, not to mention there's already such a huge shortage of teachers. There's nothing to "improve," I'm great at my job and work way more than my scheduled hours. The pay for teachers in the US just happens to be shit.
>>
>>10224035
My bf isn't in STEM, but works for the government. I call him the unicorn man because his position allows for him to work from home full time from anywhere in the US along with having a "work when you want" schedule. He would be the perfect fit for a stay at home dad. He took a pay cut from 80k to 70k to get that job.
>>
Yikes, what cons are you going to? I've never been to a con that was 100 or more, even at the door (and I always paid in advance - I usually was looking at 40s or 50s). And I went to cons in driving distance, so the only travel expenses was gas and sometimes parking (depending on the location), which is way cheaper than plane fare.
My biggest expense has always been purchases in the dealer room/artist alley.
>>
>>10224374
only con i can think of that’s that high even in advance is AX and that’s literally the biggest anime con in america
>>
>>10224347
nayrt, but I'm a fellow teacher, so I feel the pain. You could always try to get your master's - sometimes your district will pay for it. That way you can go into administration or counseling. If you're a secondary teacher like me, you could also go ino dual credit/AP teaching, or if you're lucky, community college teaching, with a master's in your content area. But personally, I wouldn't want to go into administration or counseling, so I don't blame you if you don't want to either.
>>
>>10223830
>How to get Bianca'd
>>
>>10224217
Lol, trade professionals make more money then most STEM.
Be a plumber's wife and you'll sit pretty.
>>
>>10224044
And THIS ladies and gentlemen is why you don't date a stemfag, because they have no souls.
>>
>>10224389
Theyre right tho. Theres so many desperate men/women with money.
>>
>>10224375
Most expensive con in terms of travel, hotel and admission is Dragoncon.

Staying in a host hotel will cost you a minimum of 1k and some of the host hotels will take the full amount right at booking. At the door price for the full weekend is $150.
>>
Local or driving distance cons cut travel costs. Getting con mates cuts hotel costs. If you can't afford VIP tickets, maybe skipping cons for a while is best or just enjoy the atmosphere on a budget. At the end of the day how you enjoy a con is up to you. For me I make good money and they are my vacations.
>>
>>10224217
Somewhat true? Since I’m on a higher paying career path, I’ve thought about just bringing home a house husband to spoil. But then again, I feel like I might resent them later on if we’re unable to split on activities (and my lifestyle is certainly not frugal either).
>>
>>10224392
I see a market hole here for long term hookers
>>
>>10224460
That would be a sugar baby
>>
>>10224347
How do you have no money at 50k living with another person making near that?? Stop going out to eat and buying luxuries, you make decent money and must be bad at managing finances
>>
>>10224723
you live somewhere with a high cost of living, that’s how you have no money
>>
>>10223825
>>10224024
>tfw my crush is socially inept and poor

>>10224045
>not discount someone because they aren’t yet at a level they are actually likely to realistically reach
You are talking about social skills. Men are not entitled to a beautiful young girlfriend just because they study and may possibly have a likable personality in the future. Tbh you sound a bit weird talking about your bf like you made an early investment in him and now you deserve someone who makes a lot of money. Most couples just happen to meet through school or work and that's why they have similar income until they have kids.
>>
>>10223479
This
>>
>>10224217

I think a household income of 100k is pretty decent?
>>
I sell my yeast-infected panties
>>
>>10224851
Yeet that wheat
Obtain that grain
>>
Multiple cums
>>
When it comes to cons, less is more
>>
Selling plasma twice a week racks in 300$ or more a month .
>>
>>10224723
NTAYRT but in the DC area a $50k salary doesn't go very far when the average 1br apartment costs $1700+ per month.
>>
>>10223462
-Get a full time job, and work overtime when possible
-Put money aside for the con when you know it is several months away
-Register earlier to get a cheaper price
-Go to cons within driving distance
-Don't go to cons that cost ~$100+
-Split hotel costs between friends who are also going
-Don't buy a shitload of overpriced merch
-MEAL PREP! I have been to 35 cons and I can tell you that this is one of the most important things! I stock up on Protein and Granola bars, then bring frozen dinners or prepped tupperware meals to microwave in the hotel. No way I am eating out every day, and I'm not buying the price-gouged food at the con itself.

>>10223830
Clever girl ;)

>>10223840
>You are the type of people I fucking hate.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

>>10223825
>Guys who study STEM are usually socially inept and not very good partners.
Fact

>>10224042
2 per year is what I have averaged. That gives me several months in between to save up funds and repair/alter my cosplay or construct new ones

>>10224855
>When it comes to cons, less is more
There is some truth to this
>>
>>10224973
Move to a village
>>
>>10224999
The players are the game
>>
>>10223825
works with 240 engineers.12 are women rest are dudes. Both genders are equally awkward AF!

>>10223830
Did this plan! As a guy I don't flirt for food.
>>
>>10224374
>>10224375
Off the top of my head, NYCC and ECCC are both over $150 now. Any incarnation of PAX is going to be that high. SDCC is going to be over $250. Those also sell day passes, though, so the smart move is to buy one or two of those (still going to be near/over $100), do your events and exhibits those days, and just hang out for the rest.

Two suggestions that I haven't seen come up yet:
1 - If you're good about managing your credit cards (i.e. no debt), get a travel card and maximize your points earn. I do this and basically get a free upgraded room for one con every year. I split the rack rate with my roomies, they get the ugprade for free, I get spending money for the con.

2 - Slow and diligent saving (and a little planning) will take you far. My credit union has a special "savers club" account, kind of like a CD, that lets you save for a specific number of months - you can contribute anytime, but you can't take anything out until the maturity date. You need $50 to open the account and then you can add any amount, any time you have it. Every year I start an account for the next year's "big" con, and then every paycheck I round my bank account down to the next lowest $50, moving the difference to the special account. Any time I get a free lunch at work for whatever reason, I move another $7-10 that I would have spent on lunch to the account, too (even if I brought my lunch that day... it'll keep for another day). By the time the con rolls around I typically have $700-800 in the account, and even after paying myself back for prereg (and taking $50 to open the same account for next year - I've been using the 'same' $50 for years) I can go feeling pretty flush.
>>
>>10225581
>Off the top of my head, NYCC and ECCC are both over $150 now. Any incarnation of PAX is going to be that high. SDCC is going to be over $250. Those also sell day passes, though, so the smart move is to buy one or two of those (still going to be near/over $100), do your events and exhibits those days, and just hang out for the rest.
The only good con you named was PAX
>>
Saving tips: If you can find something in the con that you can find on amazon for cheaper, dont get it from the former when it comes to official merch

Thats why i tend to frequent artist alley first, ill do a double take if the seller/artist has an online store. If not then ill take whatever i like from them right here right now
>>
>>10225870
I will never understand how people go in the dealer's hall and blow hundreds of dollars on overpriced merch.
>>
>>10226113
esp ones they cant pack/ship back
>>
>>10224217
Beta bux, Alph fux ladies and gentleman
>>
>>10224217
>>10224347

Kids outcomes are more determined by how much their parents give a damn.

That aside for a lot of talk about snagging the right partner. Have you done it?
>>
>>10223593
>>10223607
Man, there's a con here where you have to pay to volunteer. I know you can get your pass completely free if you work enough, but I think it's six or eight hours for every day of it.
They get a little bit of food, but I still hate how they do it.
I guess it's all personal opinion, but that turns me off of wanting to help em at all. Rather just save a whole fifty bucks, and get a weekend pass.
>>
File: bird what.png (144 KB, 289x289)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>10224217
>if I married someone at my own income level (~50k) that we would basically never be able to own a decent house or live comfortably with a savings cushion.

What are you spending money on to where you can't get a nice house and comfortable live with $100k household income? You planning to live in downtown LA or New York or something? In 90% of the country, that is a very good income. I only even make ~$30k a year, living alone, and I was able to buy a decent house in the city.
>>
>>10227735
West coaster here (not LA), even “starter homes” cost 500k or more in most major cities
>>
>>10227737
crazy. My house was ~$72,000. city population of 200,000.
>>
>>10224723

They could make that and still have no money between job travel costs, rent, and student loans. I mean in the end we don't know their expenses, but everyone should sit down and go over their expenses at least once a year to see where they can trim off unnecessary living expenses.
>>
Considering a patreon selling lewds but everyone else is doing it already so I probably missed the boat
>>
>>10225189
Moving is fucking expensive.
>>
>>10227828
>but everyone else is doing it already so I probably missed the boat

you think lonely people will ever go away? specific cosplays are a fad, but lewds never will be.
>>
>>10228186

Yeah but those lonely people would rather give money to all the girls out there who are hotter than me
>>
>>10228315
Sounds like quitter talk to me. Bitch you better find a niche and work the hell out of it. If there are people willing to pay for SSBBW bullshit, surely there's a group willing to throw money at you, if marketed to properly.
>>
>>10228315
You'd be surprised! I'm ugly as sin and I used to be really fat so I have a lot of loose skin and feel so icky in my body, but people still give me money.
>>
>>10228366
See this the type of entrepreneurial spirit I'm talking about! >>10228315
Don't give up, reinvent.
>>
I thought /cgl/ hated e-thotting
>>
>>10228537
cgl isn't a hivemind, there are people here with different opinions, however unlikely it may seem. There wouldn't be so much bickering if everyone agreed.
>>
>>10227828
Consider the effect it has on other women. You'd literally be telling society that women's body can in fact be bought.
>>
I'm a game developer, so for cons I'm interested in, I try to get the company invited and volunteer to go with the booth. With some planning, I get paid to go to cons and still have enough time to do stuff (with the only caveat being that I can't cosplay anything complicated, since I have to be on call)
>>
>>10228634
sorry, is there an organ selling patreon tier i didnt know about?
>>
>>10223462
>How do you afford to go to more than 1 con outside of being rich?
If we are to believe the salt here, many are escorts and "work" their way.
>>
>>10233066

why would cosplayers be escorts if patreon exists
>>
>>10223478
lmfao, excellently memed
>>
>>10233066
>many
I'd like to believe that only a few
>>
Just go to a couple cons a year that are nearby. Personally I don’t understand why anyone would travel out of state for any con other than like, comiket or anime expo, when many cities or states usually have at least 2 cons a year. (unless you live in the middle of nowhere of course)
>>
>plan flights far ahead or do greyhound to convention cities then local bus/train
>use airbnb over a hotel, look for deals or rooms
>drink cheap booze for parties
>order the badge ahead of time
>avoid meme cons like Otakon, NYC, and AX

There you can probably go to a few cons per year with ease
>>
>>10233172
whats a meme con
>>
>>10233069
Patreon is a good alibi for the money the seem to earn.

>>10233100
So would I but last time we had this discussion some insisted angrily that there were many, and named quite a few. Also some posters admitted to being sex workers.
>>
>>10233177
Dunno what it means for others but at least for me a meme con is something overly hyped in an expensive area and usually is more waiting than seeing.

I'd easily put PAX and AX, and to some extent Otakon there now that it is in DC. Obviously these cons have their merrits but most the time you're walking around in crowds, dealing with linecon, or going to very very force feed and almost fake panels answering setup questions that have been answered before or offer no real answers.

If you look at some smaller cons at or smaller than ~10k, a lot of things tend to become significantly cheaper.
>>
File: 1475881876718.jpg (70 KB, 480x320)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Thinking of rooming with randoms for CCE since I got on the train really late.

Anyone have any experience doing this? Is it worth saving the money?

Any horror stories?
>>
File: Girlcry.png (875 KB, 1280x720)
875 KB
875 KB PNG
>>10223462
By being frugal as fuck as possible.
>mfw saving up for AX for 7 months straight this year was an absolute fucking nightmare
>>
>>10228634
>women's body can in fact be bought
The escorts are selling, so the business is there. For escorts new venues might mean more business.
>>
>>10224252
Be polite and tip at a decent rate and hospitality workers will frequently be willing to upgrade your shit, if they can. Don't go in expecting they will, because sometimes they either can't or won't, but if you are a pleasant individual, more often than not they will do what they can.
>>
File: 1547176571957.jpg (154 KB, 536x640)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>10224035
>but I cannot imagine dating someone on the basis of their career and what they get paid.
It's called society before feminism and the right for women to vote. The greatest idiotic move women ever did was give up something they all cry that they wish they had now.
>>
>>10238174
Who the fuck let this nigga outta the crazy house with this nonsense?
>>
>>10238174
I wish this was how it was still. :/ life feels so meaningless because of today's society and gender roles. I just want to take care of a Husband and do my best for Him.But instead I get shit on by feminists for wanting to do that, and most "men" just want to have sex with promiscuous women and not an actual relationship.
>>
>>10238269
r u an age player or something? why the fuck u capitalizing the H in him and husband...
>>
>>10238280
It's a man.
>>
>>10238283
So he’s gay....
>>
>>10238280
>>10238283
I'm a woman that prefers doing that because I would like my Man to be held above me.
>>
>>10238289
go back to r9k
>>
>>10238289
fucking faggot
>>
>>10238347
Hey, don't call that person a faggot!

What's the matter with you?
>>
>>10238358
Faggot, is that you?
>>
File: charmed.jpg (201 KB, 1280x720)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>10238359
Yes:)<3
>>
>>10238289
If you want to roleplay there are platforms for that
>>
>>10223462
My wife and I make 100k combined. We plan out what we're going to spend and save up.

We usually only go to our local con and one large con a year though. The thing we spend a lot of time and money doing is ren faires.
>>
>>10238909
>outside of being rich
>100k combined
>>
>>10223462
I could almost swear I saw this same thread two weeks ago.
>>
>>10239301
It was this thread, just look at the date, it's almost a month old
>>
>>10239289
I mean it isn’t really. If you have an ok job and you date someone with an ok job then you easily make that. If a single person made 100k then they are rich
>>
>>10239320
>If a single person made 100k then they are rich

Not in California/NY
>>
>>10239333
On the flipside that salary will have you living like a king in the south.
>>
>>10240347
sure but the same job either doesn’t exist there or pays 50k
>>
>>10239333
Yeah it does. You are delusional if you can’t recognize that. I live in one of those kind of cities and you see the difference. 2 ppl with 100k salaries are living well
>>
>>10240348
The trick is to get a work from home job based out of a high COL area.
>>
1: Buy a decent camera and learn lightroom
2: Choose one of the days to take some half decent shots (use a diffused flash pointed backwards, face your model with back towards the con hall)
3: Sell like 3-4 of them
4: Fuck around and do what you want the rest of the days

How I've been doing it for years
>>
>>10223462
lol I live in orlando we have like 5 cons a year, get fucked flyover cuck
>>
>>10234688
How much money did you save?
>>
Sugar daddies.
>>
>>10233699

Are you in search of a room or hosting one?
>>
>>10240621

I have three :3

feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
>>10240351
No it does not, my partner and I make 350k combined and we are definitely far from rich living in NY. We live outside Manhattan because rent is too high, $100k a person in NY is far from rich. Maybe mid to upper middle class
>>
Your going/rooming with people right? Split hotel and it isn’t as much Obvs. 300? Are you flying? I go to multiple cons but they’re not all huge and they’re in or near my state. Tickets are expensive, only way to get around is to order tickets early and get discount.
>>
>>10223462
There's a con by me this weekend and tickets are 20$
Yeeee
>>
>>10240674
350K is rich unless you live in Montclair or some shit, OR you have absurd college debt. I am at 100K and I am happy (but I have 0 college debt and a 3br condo). You are literally in the 1% of NJ or CT incomes (I am in the top 65th precinct you are literally 1%ers

https:// www. nytimes.
com/interactive/2019/08/01/upshot/are-you-rich.html
>>
>>10240674
My man, if you're not living large on $350k that means you're really bad at finances.
>>
>>10240674
Mid to upper middle is living rich. I’m not saying you have a mansion but you ain’t starving buddy.
>>
>>10240466
>Living in Florida
>>
>>10240634
Seems a bit shaky.
>>
Become a stripperand work 1 day a week. I strip fridays and make a solid 3 or 4k a month for fuckaround cash
>>
>>10240873
I'm not hot enough to strip and I also live in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>10228537
they might hated it first, but soon they found out that people actually make money out of it
>>
>>10240880
Sorry to hear that
>>
>>10240674
You're either bullshitting or you have no concept of a budget. Get your shit together, set up a YNAB account and start tracking your finances.
>>
>>10223508
>carpool with friends
How the fuck is one even supposed to make confriends? Noone I know watches anime and random people at cons don't want to talk to new people usually
>>
>>10223462
>>10223469
So, what are the best cons on the east coast?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.