[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: AA-AX.jpg (83 KB, 500x500)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
last thread: >>10196726

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

If anyone else has inspo photos they'd like possibly added to the above link, email the account cgldrawfags@gmail.com

We have a discord!
If you want into the CGL AA discord, email graveweaverelf@gmail.com with a picture of your table or merchandise. It is not a jury, just to make sure you do cons.

AX is over, how did it go?
>>
Made about 24k at anime expo, not bad but wish I could’ve done a little better.
>>
>>10215672
That’s chump change, I made 100k, easy.
>>
>>10215702
>Not pulling 7 figures
Why even bother
>>
>>10215709
Not my best ax I admit
>>
>>10215672
>>10215702
>>10215709
>>
>>10215672
Wow, nice. How much were your production costs?
>>
Less than 17 days till Otakon
>no table assignments
>no info packet
>>
>>10215672
>>10215702
What did you guys sell?
>>
>>10215702
Nice! I hope to get to your level and it’s nice to know that amount is possible some day. For now, 24k for my first convention ever has me feeling okay, but I can’t wait to improve some more.
>>
>>10215770
Seems like typical otakon
>>
>>10215672
>only make 5k
Maybe one day
>>
>>10215702
Don’t worry we all believe you
>>
My first time tabling (4th year going)and made a little profit. Setup and quantity of table was very bare so I'm surprised I was able to break even. Pretty exciting however for my first time. Table partner and neighbor were very nice.
>>
>>10215994
Congrats anon! Great job on breaking even, that doesn’t always happen at your first con.
>>
Holy christ with a candle I fucking HATE the hoops Instagram makes you jump through to upload digital stuff!
>>
>>10215672

How much of that is profit?
>>
>>10215770
When did otakon send emails for standard AA placements? I have a feeling we're getting a table map soon based on what im hearing from my ota volunteer friends who asked for me on my behalf.
>>
>>10215596
Finally broke the five figure club!! I don't pull monster numbers like everyone else apparently in thread but im happy! First time with a full table to myself too hehe
>>
>>10216441
Nice! We’re you in the AA or vendor room since I noticed some artists hit the vendor room this year instead.
>On another note
Is AX worth the suffering to get in and also transport all my shit from the east coast? I’ve outgrown 6ft tables entirely and after Otakon I’m not doing any shows that require 50/50 anymore cause 1) it’s bullshit to require us to take up valuable space with art no one ever buys really anyways and 2) it’s a waste of my time when I could be cranking out products that actually sell at a good pace.

If that makes me a sellout idc. I like that sweet sweet cash more than I care about my artistic pride.
>>
>>10216465
I was in AA! I personally feel like my stuff would get lost in the crowd of vendor since it's insane up there and I'm a small merch artist, not a flash print maker! I think ymmv depending on what you sell!

I absolutely hate the stress that comes with AX and its organization is super poor at times but I think it's absolutely worth the suffering at the end of the day.
>>
File: h.png (44 KB, 1134x336)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
Etsy needs to get it through their thick heads that I, and many other seller, aren't, and can't, offer free shipping on items. Its just not practical with the items I sell, and I don't want to have separate pricing online vs at conventions.
>>
>>10216661
Yeah fuck Etsy, moving to my own site.
>>
>>10216704
Lots of people are moving to Storenvy or Shopify these days, anyone here have experience with either?
>>
>>10216661
I hate how they’re pushing free shipping. It’s not even viable for me, being a non-US resident.
>>
>>10216716
I’m moving to Shopify, not sure if they’re great but I like the layout better a lot better that’s for sure.
>>
Looking through some vlog videos. Can anyone identify this booth?
>>
>>10216704

I currently sell on Etsy, Had a storenvy that got no traffic whatsoever despite advertising it.
>>
>>10216704
>>10216661
Moved to my own site this year and I've already saved more than I spent last year in etsy fees.
>>
>>10216761
rainbowemuweeps aka concon
>>
>>10216804
Thanks
>>
I believe at one point some of you guys said you were going to do Exhibition Hall as an alternative to AA, if you did end up doing it, which ones were you?
>>
>>10216831
I only do exhibitor for AX, it's the only one where it's just as good if not better than AA, especially if you sell large items.
>>
Hey guys so I’ve been searching on Ali for custom ita bags. But it looks like to me that no company does it? Or none have good examples or looks trustworthy to me. Maybe I’m blind and dumb - but are there manus that people use that aren’t on alibaba??? I want to make my own itabag since I’m picky with designs.
>>
How much do y’all charge for 11x17 prints?
>>
>>10217254
$20
>>
>>10217254
$15 and I make them buy 2 get 1 free
>>
>>10216716
I did Storenvy, but I have a very small online presence so I rarely made sales. I'd only recommend it if you have a lot of followers.
>>
Does anyone know of any places that prints NSFW stuff? I'm looking to get acrylic charms and stickers made.

I'm also looking to get (non NSFW) stickers made with the glitter like foil over it, I can only seem to find places that offer the holographic/metallic look stickers. Is my best bet to make them myself using an adhesive film?
>>
>>10217588
Stickerapp prints a lot of penis and titty stickers. I did some with them which weren't downright explicit but had dicks and kink stuff in them, they had no complaints. I asked Sweet Stickers too and they said they'd print just about anything, but I didn't use them so I'm not sure if they would have ultimately said yes or no.
>>
>>10217619
Oh sweet! the pieces don't have explicit sex, just dicks and titties and some vag on them.
>>
>>10216465
I agree Otakon needs to drop the 50/50 it does nothing to protect them from copyright if the offending item in on the fanart side. It's annoying, and all my original stuff is realistic oil paintings that don't sell at anime cons. Plus you have the staffers that can't count 50/50 even when you do it right, and say to take down more original stuff.
>>
File: D_G_foGWwAA3AyI.jpg (173 KB, 1200x996)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>Hasn't mailed out badges yet
>No AA OR Vendor email updates on maps, placements, and load in info.
>Now ignoring all tweets complaining about whats going on
>Lied and told everyone "ARE ACTIVELY BEING SHIPPED for delivery no later than July 12!" but ACTUALLY they're starting to ship them ON the 12th.
Their statement to us on this is "They're coming from Showclix. There were nearly 6,000 badges to mail this year, and we all have full-time jobs that make the logistics of Otakon doing it directly (and needing to get all the equipment for it) a bit difficult"

Which is a stupid lazy excuse.

Otakon, get your shit together for the love of god.
>>
File: grfd.png (14 KB, 513x124)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>10218238
>>
>>10217254
$5
>>
>>10218451
I used to sell mine for $5 too when I shared my table with a friend. We decided to keep our prices the same to not confuse the customer but when no one was buying her prints, she asked to drop our print price from $15 to $10. And then to $7. And then finally to $5. After a few cons, I suggested we get separate tables and set our own prices. We're not friends anymore.
>>
>>10217254
$12, or 2 for 20.
$15 for holo, 2 for $25.
I was going to try to do $15 for a regular one this year at AX but i was surrounded by tables selling for $12, also I only have like 2 new prints
>>
How much merchandise do you guys bring to such big conventions? Do you fly out too, having to fit everything into suitcases?
>>
>>10218261
>Y'all

If there is a word I hate more in the English language.
>>
>>10218685
k
>>
Dumb question but I want to make a shirt with a print on the front and striped sleeves. No one online provides striped sleeves that I can find. Anyone know how I can go about doing this or am I gonna have to settle for a raglan style?
>>
>>10218734
Literally just talk with your supplier(s).
>>
>>10218674
For AX I brought close to 1000 prints + other stuff, but is local for me so it was easy.

When I flew to Anime Boston I shipped a lot of my stuff directly to the con, and then carried everything back. For ACEN I shipped too much and ended up having to fedex a $50 package back.
>>
>>10218238
This is honestly hilarious. They jerk everyone around and expect attendees and exhibitiors to be cool with it and when attendance goes down again the higher ups won’t listen to complaints and they’ll blame it on “the economy”
>>
do you feel that prints on display sell better than if you had them in a catalog on your table? i dont like hyper cluttered looking tables but sales are more important
>>
>>10219279
yes, catalogs are pretty useless
>>
>>10219279
You need to have prints hanged up to bring people to the table but you should also have a catalog for people to flip through all your prints. If you want maximize your print sales you need to do both.
>>
>>10219279
I've actually been wanting to try having a 11x17 filled with 4(or more) prints saying "also available as 11x17" or something for the prints that don't sell as well but I still want to bring, has anyone tried that?

I don't have space on the table for a catalogue
>>
>>10219279
What this anon said >>10219347

Hang up your best sellers, put the others in a catalog. My popular prints bring customers to the table and then when they flip through my catalog they find niche fandoms they like and buy those too.

>>10219374
I've done this but with 8.5 x 11 paper. It works pretty well. If people are really picky abt it, they'll ask to see the actual print before paying but they all understand from my display prints that they're gonna be 11" x 17". I usually do it at cons with 6ft tables since I don't have room to fit a 11 x 17" catalog. At cons that let me have 8ft tables or two 6ft tables, I'll bring my full sized catalog.
>>
>>10218743
I can't find a single manufacturer that will provide this service. I've been searching for days and emailed over a dozen companies who have all said no. Seems I'll have to settle.
>>
>>10219577
thats exactly what i wanted to do! or even buy a huge banner that has smaller samples on it. i like the look better of neatly organized and labeled merch rather than a slop of colors and paper. plus its easier for me to keep inventory. just wanted to kno in general if most people were interested in flipping through a catalog. my idea was putting up best/group/interesting pieces then having maybe 2 catalogs to flip through (1 under table) but just for prints

>>10219606
have you looked on alibaba? if nothing else find all over prints where you can design the stripe yourself
>>
anons, when you make prints do you usually draw illustrations specifically with the intent of making them into prints? Or do you just draw as normal and decide afterwards if you'll turn it into a print?
>>
>>10219720
Afterwards generally but I also just always draw on an 11/17 canvas anymore
>>
>>10219374
What I do is put up my prints and use colored circle stickers to indicate that they come in a different size. Have a sign with my prices that say that that colored sticker = available in that size.
>>
File: tit.jpg (225 KB, 900x1200)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Any gulls at tokyo in tulsa? Is it really as hellish as it seems?
>>
>>10220075
its a mess and I feel horrible for the artists, esp those at the back of the sorry excuse for an artist lobby. They were apparently literally told to bring their own lighting.

The hall gets darker the farther from the street side you go and people are literally using their phone to be able to see the merch. its funny-sad leaning more on sad by the minute.

Apparently there's no real staff at the bathroom either, haven't went yet and might seriously not take the chance and go in one of the other buildings.
>>
>>10219577
Yeah, I would expect some people would want to see the actual size so they can see the details or just get a closer look. My eyesight is horrible even with glasses so I can understand, thanks!

>>10219838
Oh nice, I can imagine a sticker would save on attempted text to explain varying sizes, thanks!
>>
>>10219720
I'm curious what "drawing as normal" means for you. You should always work at a high dpi and with print dimensions in mind, even if it's something you might not print. At the very least it might end up in a sketch collection or something, and it's so much easier if you already have all of your art similarly formatted. And besides that, there are just certain sizes that are best for social media upload. If you're cropping and resizing your canvas to arbitrary sizes while working then that's a really bad approach in every circumstance.
>>
>>10220142
AYRP, by "normal" i just mean drawing without necessary thinking "i'm going to turn this into merchandise"
Like you just sit down and create the piece just because it's something you feel like drawing, not with the thought in mind that you're going to be selling it. For example, some people might do some fanart and post it online just because they feel like it, and it gets a lot of attention so they then decide to turn it into an actual piece of merch. Hope that makes sense.
>>
>>10219720
A combinatioon of both. As previous anon said, its a good idea to have 300 dpi and large canvas sizes as the starting default in the programs you use. I'd say 70% of my prints were made specifically with the intent to turn them into prints to sell. The other 30% is more or less things I madde "for fun" and decided to include them in whatever print order I was trying to beef up. One of the 30% was actually a commission my good friend had me do with Persona 5 characters. He was kind enough to allow me to sell it as a print and it ended up being one of my most successful ones haha. I way undercharged my friend for the comm and it's made me $100s in the last 2 years :D
Additionally I've seen my postcard size prints of headshots/busts of specific characters do really well. When I drew the original image I was doing it just for fun because I liked the characters. It's always nice when something you do just for fun can turn profitable.
>>
>>10220075
what a shitshow. Tokyo in Tulsa isn't even a good con with or without them moving it to random hobby lobby. I will forever avoid in the future.
>>
>>10219657
Yeah, looked on alibaba extensively. No luck. With all-over prints, they take an image and display it on the entire face of the garment, so the stripes would bleed onto the front side/not work with different sizings. I'm not too bad at sewing so I think I'm gonna just make the shirts entirely from scratch at this point
>>
>>10221135
I'm actually surprised by how badly they're handling this on Twitter. It's horrible from a PR standpoint. They're not an established con with big attendance like AX that can use their numbers to silence artists. TnT's sales aren't great and the only reason artists attend it is because either 1) they're local or local enough or 2) they want to reach that midwest-ish market and don't have anything better to do that weekend. Honestly, most bigger name artists can make more online stores sales in a weekend than at that con.

There's no reason for artists to stay silent about TnT. We lose nothing if we drop this con from our calendar. They've shot themselves in the foot because it's not like a big con where other artists would sign up regardless of what happened because the money is too good.
>>
>>10221187
Some local small artists starting out be desperate for cons like these due to competition being so high everywhere else, so I don't see TnT dying, at least not for another year.
>>
Are 8.5x11 prints too small to have as my largest print size? I'm not sure if people would buy mine at 11x17 as much, but I feel like 11x17 probably looks better on display right?
>>
>>10218238
Otakon AA isn’t going to give us the time of day until about 7 days till the Thursday of the con. I’m guessing they’ll email us this upcoming Thursday.
If it’s later than that then they’re really scummy this year.
>>
File: 1402419239646.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Have any of you taken an old print/print series and completely redid it?
>>
>>10221207
>>10221207
Eh, Oklahoma is close enough to TX and TX has much better cons so I know I’d just personally drive to one of those. When I was at TnT last year, most artists were from out of state. And even then there were a bunch of empty tables/no-shows. They’ve always struggled to completely fill up their AA. They’re honestly gonna lose all the veteran artists who travel to shows and be left with con newbies who will most likely have subpar art.
>>
Any advice for where can get anything 420/smoking related made?

I've messaged so many sellers and alibaba but everything related to that the moq is way too high for me..
>>
>>10221495
>wants something extremely niche and trickier to manufacture
>'whys the moq so high'
>>
>>10221377
yes, I've done it for 2 prints so far, but because I can't stand my old art style but think the composition is worth salvaging. It sells pretty decently, but the issue is whether or not the series still has fans. If the series isn't getting some kind of reboot or a huge influx in attention, I would just retire the print and move onto new artworks.
>>
What do people do with all the merch they got from a fandom they're no longer into? Obviously Good Omens is the new flavor that everyone's getting charms, etc of, but what happens to it all when the trend moves on? Do they keep it all? Throw it away? Part of me feels guilt in making trendy merch because i feel like it's just going to contribute to a pile of dead-fandom trash later down the line
>>
>>10221209
8.5x11 is really small for a print. Definitely go for 11x17 or A3 as your largest print size or as one of your larger options.
And remember, if people are willing to buy your print at a small size, they'd definitely be willing to buy it at a larger size as well. If anything, I find that people prefer large prints to use as posters.
>>
>>10221547
I didn't think it was that niche, I see people selling lazer engraved lighters a lot at cons
>>
>>10221683
> If anything, I find that people prefer large prints
DA, but that's interesting to hear? It's the opposite what I've usually seen in this thread, there's always a lot of people saying big prints are dying and nobody has wall space anymore.
On the other hand, maybe that's just an excuse from the customers, since those top tier print only artists still sell a lot anyway.
>>
>>10221753
Most folks don't smoke, and therefore probably don't want a fancy and expensive lighter. Non-smokers will just buy a bic from the local gas station. Those lighters you saw are indeed for a niche market.

>>10221760
>there's always a lot of people saying big prints are dying
God I hope not. Ever since I started framing my prints, I've only bought large ones. Too many prints in frames = cluttered as fuck walls. Then again, I'm an adult in my mid-twenties. Teens and college kids love filling their walls with dozens of 8x11s and 4x5s. If that's who you're marketing your art to, go for it.
>>
>>10221661
Good Omens existed as a book for years and had fanfic since 1994... the fandom is just thriving again because of the TV show but I'm sure a lot of fans will keep buying it for at least the summer.
>>
>>10221803
This. I bought a couple of Good Omens prints like 8 years back at a con. The book was very popular by word of mouth when I was in college. I just made some buttons but I refuse to give Crowley red hair, so I'm sure the tv show fans will claim I messed up.
>>
>>10221207
I lived in Oklahoma most of my life and never once went to an Oklahoma con, even when I was first starting out. Anyone with an ounce of common sense sells at Texas cons as their "local" cons.
>>
>>10221661
lel, this reminds me of that photo someone took of a voltron jacket they found in a charity shop

anyway people throw things away all the time. they'll do it to even untrendy things you make. to any art. we grow out of things all the time and sometimes even rediscover that joy later.
>>
For those that sell on Etsy/once sold on Etsy, how much did you make your first year on the platform?
>>
>>10221661
Give it to a friend or the thrift store usually. Lots of thrift stores have sections dedicated to buttons, keychains, and stuff like that. Most art prints probably end up in the trash though after they eventually get damaged somehow.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.