[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

Budgeting, /cgl/ edition.

When do you guys start saving up and How much do you guys leave aside necessary stuff con wise (hotel room money, food, plane/car travel fare, money for dealers hall)?
>>
Out of state con wise
>$120 for food
>$370 for the hotel (especially for big ones like AX)
>$40-50 for travel by car
>$600-700 for dealers hall shit, that number will be deduced for shit in advance like concerts (ie: last year’s Love Live concert)

Local con wise, it’s pretty low
>>
>>10100217
>$600-700 for dealers hall shit

I need to get on this level
>>
>>10100277
I started saving up a week ago. It’ll be a long as while before I have enough for AX.
>tfw I only have $50 to my name until next Friday
>>
Food/Drink: $300/weekend. Am I ACTUALLY going to eat $100/food a day? Fuck no. Would I like to be prepared for that happening just in case? Absolutely. I actually end up spending closer to $100-$150. Buy a case of water to keep in your hotel room and you'll instantly save a bunch right there.

Hotel: $500-$600. I go to cons by myself and meet up with friends there, so my room costs are higher than most people's because it's just me in the room. I am nostalgic of my days with 4-12 people in a room but it's nice to have a bed and a clean, quiet room too.

$60- Uber there and back. I'm in a big city so I just stay local for cons.

$1500+ for shopping. I love shopping at cons. It's a little more expensive than buying online, but when you factor in shipping and the convenience of getting something right that instant (and actually being able to see how it looks like in person), it's worth it. I also go crazy in the artist alley.
>>
I have a special savings account just for travel, I put $300 a month in it. It usually is enough to allow me a couple cons and a vacation every year.
>>
>>10100293
>$500-600 hotel
You’re staying at the JW, aren’t you?
>$1500+ for shopping
Sure, I’ll add in the benefit of $300-400 figures, but shit.
>>
>>10100277
Yeah I'm surprised people are throwing out such high numbers. My average spending at a dealers hall is about $50 Though that'd be just slightly below average.
>>
>>10100311
Yeah I'll grab a plushie, some prints from Artists Alley and maybe some small gifts for my family, I've never spent more than maybe $70? I mean if someone has $500 to spend on anime merch good for them but it's a ridiculous amount for me
>>
>>10100311
Yeah, I'd say my average is $150-250, but I usually go for specific artists and I don't hang around the dealer's room as much as I used to.
>>
>>10100308
Dude, not even. It's just normal stuff like Marriott overcharging because they know you have no where else to stay for the convention (within walking distance).

>Sure, I’ll add in the benefit of $300-400 figures, but shit.
I almost never spend it all, but I like having the money budgeted out just in case. I'd rather have the money there than not.
>>
For me it's about $200 for a 3 or 4 day con. If I buy anything from the dealers hall is usually less than $50.
>>
>>10100293
>$300 for food
>>
>>10100742
>not being able to read
sad
>not being able to drop $300 on food for a con
sadder
>>
>>10100217
What do you even buy in the dealers hall?
It feels like the majority of things there can be had on the internet for quite a lot cheaper
>>
File: 1541752948204.jpg (307 KB, 580x387)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
Not con related, but
>don't spend much for about a month
>go on a shopping spree
>make a collage, post on mail thread, count losses, cry
>rinse and repeat

It works out if I don't binge shop more than once a month.
>>
>>10100782
>import games
>shirt with memes that’ll be out of date in a month
>artist alley stuff
>shit that’s rare as hell
>$200-500 figures of your waifu (the real reason why weebs go big or go home in the dealers hall)
>>
>>10100761
Even if you eat every single meal at a restaurant, there is no reason a normal adult, eating a normal amount of food, to spend $300.
>>
>>10100940
>shirt with memes that’ll be out of date in a month
>>
I happen to live near the location of a very big comic convention, so no hotel or travel fare. I usually go only to that one, given the others are farer and basically worse.

That leaves me with:
- Tickets, ~30USD for two days
- Food, ~40USD
- Purchases: I put a cap at 300USD, but I usually spend way less.

I'm very surprised by how much many of you spend. If I were gifted so much money I wouldn't even know where to spend it. I usually try to save up on food and so on, but even if I didn't, I would never end up spending ~100USD a day.
>>
I normally register for cons months in advance so I save 20-40$ out of every pay check until the con, I always pay my portion of the hotel ahead of time and then make sure I have 500 in cash that I then use for food and merch. Since both of the cons that I go to are with in driving distance of an Asian market, I buy my weeb snacks their for half the price of the dealer room. Haven't had to dip into my bank account for a con weekend yet
>>
>>10101001
>>
>>10101017
>>
>>10101017
>>
>>10101014
I usually do mine 2-3 months in advance once I get the time off approved and if I have enough cash for everything
>>
File: me.jpg (149 KB, 683x771)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>NEET me at a con
>would have to sell my things months in advance of a con
>would only get enough for the badge and room
>food would be ramen and cereal for 3-4 days
>no merch ever
>Employed me at a con
>dropped $300 on merch and $150 on food without a second thought
>>
>>10102226
>food would be ramen and cereal for 3-4 days
>tfw my food would be nothing but ramen and cereal for the next 3-4 months while saving up for AX
>>
File: 9sc6fOOQZ1tmjwc1_540.jpg (72 KB, 540x304)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>10102226
are you me anon

I realize now would be a really great time to start saving for AX
>>
>>10102656
You should’ve started around late January/early February.

Also, accurate or accurate?
>>
For AX this year I started saving after AX last year. I just grabbed the money I didn't use and threw my additional savings on top of that. As for setting money aside for everything else, I don't really categorize the funds, I just save what I can and work with that. Sitting on like 1.9k right now.
>>
CA Phototag here.

>30$ per day on food.
>400$ for hotel.
>200-300$ on travel/parking/plane/driving
>50$ on merch.

My earnings cover my expenses. I average about 600$ per day with shooting. I survive on protein bars and my hyrdo flask.
>>
File: 1546357321285.jpg (125 KB, 307x512)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>10100131
I don't get why people love shopping in con ? It's full of counterfeit merch
>>
>>10102866
>$50 on merch
>>
I don't specifically save, it's budgeted into my entertainment expenses for the year. I only make it to a few cons due to work, so I treat them a bit like holidays and a chance to see friends like >>10100293. I'd probably set aside around $2000 for a non local con, with half that being "necessary" costs like getting there, hotel room, etc. $100/day for food and alcohol since I often spend at least one night with my friends at a fancy restaurant and then we go out for cocktails, and at least $500 to spend on things.
>>
>>10102870
I was wondering this too. I don't buy a lot of figures but I will only buy from the official stores when they are there because so much of everything else is counterfeit. Do people not realize this?
>>
>>10102959
>$100 on food everyday at the con
>>
>>10102961
What cons are you guys going to? Larger conventions have strict no bootleg policies and some of the really big cons have the big guys like Bluefin and GSC setting up shop.
>>
>>10102961
Usually it's young weebs that don't know any better who buy the fake crap. It should be obvious to anyone who has ever seen a legitimate figure ever. Some people do know and genuinely don't care though, that's how all these shady booths still stay in business.
>>
>>10102976
>yet another person who can't read
Like the other anon, it's what I've budgeted and most of that won't be *at* the con, it'll be for the night we go out somewhere nice and splurge
>>
>>10102693
Yes
Don’t bully my jar of coins
>>
>>10103038
Little local con because i dont have enough money to go somewhere else :(
>>
>>10103317
That's why. Stop shitting on actual conventions and people buying in their dealers rooms just because your dinky little college convention allows bootlegs.
>>
Why does being within walking distance of the con matter so much to most people? I get that it's convenient but I've seen some people get really upset when they can't stay at the hotel RIGHT next to the con. I usually like to stay at a hotel or Airbnb 15ish minutes drive from the con because it's usually so much cheaper and I really don't mind the drive. What's so great about it that it's a dealer breaker for some people not to stay right next to or at the con?
>>
>>10103486
For me the only thing convenient was being able to go back and drop off merch and stuff so I could spend more time at con and not get exhausted. I guess it's also fun to see other cosplayers staying at the same hotel and it adds to the atmosphere. Downside is normally it's a heck of a lot more expensive even for a basic room because the closest hotels will normally charge a higher rate on big convention weekends and I don't want to roomstuff with other people.

Personally I'm happy staying somewhere 15-20 minutes away especially if it gets me a much better room and a better price. Last big con I went with a couple of friends and we planned a five night stay at an apartment in the city about a 15 minute ride from con. For five nights we paid £150 each total and got a two floor apartment that had separate rooms for each of us with ensuite bathrooms as well as an open plan living room with a tv, sofas, dining room and a complete kitchen. It was incredibly relaxing to come back to and just chill out.
>>
>>10103486
I go back and forth between my hotel room and the convention a lot. I usually get dropped off at cons so I don't have to worry about parking for the weekend either (not the cost so much as worrying about break-ins). Like >>10103499 mentioned, I want to be able to buy whatever I want or wear whatever I want without having to worry about it getting uncomfortable after a couple of hours. It's really just more convenient for me and I don't personally mind spending extra for that convenience.
>>
>>10103486
More convenient for parties, Maybe you don't wanna drive in your cosplay, maybe parking is a nightmare. Stuff like that.
>>
>>10102919
Posters and figmas are cool and all, but I like to accessorize my traveling gear. Stickers, key chains and lanyards.
>>
>>10103668
Just don’t get the stickers with loose ends because that shit falls off so fast
>>
>>10103038
I do go to large cons. I have seen counterfeits at sakuracon, otakon (long time ago though) and many others. They may have that policy but they aren't experts in counterfeits.
>>
>>10105539
Report it when you see it anon. Cons aren't staffed by enough people to be able to check for this stuff on their own. Email the convention and let them know "Hey, the dealer at booth A302 was carrying bootlegs."
>>
>>10105904
Yeah, I will do that next time. I wasn't sure how much cons cared, to be honest.
Also, a lot of it seems to be plush toys.. do they care about that? Lots of knockoff Pokemon. All those alpacas too.
>>
>>10106404
They care a lot more than you’d think because counterfeits damage their reputation with legitimate companies. Alpacas are a little more tricky because you technically can’t claim ownership to an alpaca design and even big box stores like Target have started to carry Amuse lookalikes. Pokémon are definitely a no-go though.
>>
>Not ghosting the con
>As in not literally being a ghost by the time the con comes around because you starved to death saving money

Plebs, all of you.

In all seriousness, I just budget and save up during the year. I don't go to a lot of cons anyway, I barely have time to go to more than 3.

>$150 for food for the weekend, usually bring a cooler stocked with meal-prep food and a small single eye stove or a rice cooker to cook simple dishes in
>Split hotel with friends, $80 max per person for the weekend
>$20 for gas
>$50 for Artist's Alley
>Con is $70-80 for the weekend

It might be because I'm a cheap fuck, but I don't really do more in the Dealer's room than walk around and look at things. If I feel like I need a figure, I pricematch it on AmiAmi and eBay. Most cons in my area are bootleg city though.
>>
I have a bank where I can make multiple savings accounts so I just take money out of each check and put it in there.
Depends on con but:
>$100ish for food
>$100 or less for the room because I room with 4-6 friends. Price will eventually go up cause I don’t have the patience for it.
$200 for merch
$30 for Ubers.
Saving is super easy if you’re an adult with your money.
>tfw friends can’t do the same and ask you for food money
>>
>>10106534
>ghosting At AX
Good luck with that
>>
>Saving for a con.

The hell you guys spend a month?
>>
>>10103486

Because when you spend the whole day on your feet walking blocks on end in a place you don't know in,a cosplay that probably isn't very movable or breathable isn't a good idea and even worse when you are drunk.
>>
>>10110453

Ghosting at AX is impossible now with the new badge scanning system.
You cant even do the cycling trick with 2 badges anymore because when you leave the building, you have to scan your badge again. If you try to give the 2nd back to the person youre trying to cycle in, it will show up on the entrance scanner that it wasnt scanned for exitting
>>
File: shrugsau.jpg (144 KB, 1171x801)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>Never buy merch so I only have to plan on airfare and hotel costs
>>
>>10110692
Hungry and thirsty anon.
>>
>>10100131

Last year at Sakcon I spent about about a thousand total on travel, food and merch. Having clear plans on buying what I want helped lower merch expenses. But the main dealbreaker is out of con entertainment like the arcade (which seems to get worse year after year) and CCF or whatever restaurants the trendy weebs gather at when they want something other than fast food or Cheesecake Factory.
>>
>>10111280
Man that takes me back
>weeb crew and I go for a dinner ramen run without thinking about that plan
>"90 minute wait", line out the door
>end up well-fed and shitfaced at a mexican place two minutes away
Really hoping for some more spontaneous good times this year.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.